PDA

View Full Version : Why do people lift heavy weights?

sundizz
04-26-2014, 09:00 AM
I honestly don't get it. I see people talking about deadlifting 405 X 7 etc. I doubt there is any true health benefit from this. Not much benefit from women either I'd say.

It always amazes me that people that either:

a) lift weights like crazy
b) run super long distances/swim super long distances

Neither is truly that healthy for your body. And neither is as fun as playing a real sport.

I sprint 3x a week and do some pushups and pullups (about a 15 minute workout), and play hoops 2x a week. I drink freshmade juice at home. Beside that I really don't do any specific stuff, beside limiting processed food and not drinking much soda.

I'm 100% pain free, aesthetically pleasing to look at, great energy/sex drive. and am going to live well into my 80's.

Someone tell me what I'm doing wrong and why working out and lifting super heavy weight (or running marathons) is now considered fun.

Dresta
04-26-2014, 09:07 AM
Doing low rep, heavy weight squats and deadlifts is important for playing a sport like bball, because when combined with either plyometrics or regular practice, it will increase your vert.

nathanjizzle
04-26-2014, 09:14 AM
self indulging in personal competition. Its like when these guys go to the gym, they think they are above everyone. untill they step out of the door into reality they are nobodies. its stupid, because the bigger you get from a reasonable size, the worst your fighting/athletecism gets, so its all show and no go.

NauruDude
04-26-2014, 09:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A7woRoVwyM

At least for us Icelanders its just as important for us as it is for Americans to eat McDonalds. Its our national identity.

sundizz
04-26-2014, 09:26 AM

At least for us Icelanders its just as important for us as it is for Americans to eat McDonalds. Its our national identity.

That's actually somewhat remotely interesting. I'll check it out.

As for Dresta, yeah that's true....but none of that is as important as actual basketball ability. Once you are in reasonable enough shape to be able to play for a few hours, having a wet jumper, or tight handles is much more important to your game.

Additionally, people that workout to supplement (or because) of sports that makes sense to me. However, there are a large number of people that seem to just workout. Not play any sports. It's odd.

I think as people grow up they forget how ridiculously fun it is to play sports. America has very few/shizzy organized outlets for adults to play regularly. It's mostly got a bunch of fitness centers.

Out here (South Korea) there are more 30 to 60 year olds at the park playing some sort of sport than there are 12 to 25 year olds. People 12 to 25 either have too much studying, school, or just starting a career, so they don't have the time to get out that much.

NotYetGreat
04-26-2014, 09:34 AM
A body that can move pain-free through great amounts of resistance would do well in sports, physical activities, and, in general, daily movements in life, don't you think?

And the physical challenges you can get yourself through can speak a lot about how strong your mind is, too. Yes, it takes a great amount of bodily skill and mental fortitude to complete a really heavy deadlift or run an ultramarathon, but more than that, it's the person you become after taking on these challenges which could be the reason why we go after it and want to succeed. It's not all in a selfish chase of vanity and accomplishment but it could also be a noble pursuit of self-actualization and improvement that we want to undertake with these challenges.

OhNoTimNoSho
04-26-2014, 09:36 AM
I honestly don't get it. I see people talking about deadlifting 405 X 7 etc. I doubt there is any true health benefit from this. Not much benefit from women either I'd say.

Neither is truly that healthy for your body. And neither is as fun as playing a real sport.

I sprint 3x a week and do some pushups and pullups (about a 15 minute workout), and play hoops 2x a week. I drink freshmade juice at home. Beside that I really don't do any specific stuff, beside limiting processed food and not drinking much soda.

I'm 100% pain free, aesthetically pleasing to look at, great energy/sex drive. and am going to live well into my 80's.

Someone tell me what I'm doing wrong and why working out and lifting super heavy weight (or running marathons) is now considered fun.
Because its interesting to undergo the adventure and personal development of getting really strong. Its not always fun, it takes a lot of discipline. Its not about fun its about becoming a stronger person not just physically but mentally. But you sound like a child asking a question like that... how old are you? Your 15 minute workout works now but as you get older its not going to do shit for you.

Dresta
04-26-2014, 09:40 AM
Also, this dude seems pretty sure about living into his 80s :lol

How naive.

sundizz
04-26-2014, 09:58 AM
Because its interesting to undergo the adventure and personal development of getting really strong. Its not always fun, it takes a lot of discipline. Its not about fun its about becoming a stronger person not just physically but mentally. But you sound like a child asking a question like that... how old are you? Your 15 minute workout works now but as you get older its not going to do shit for you.

No, I'm not delusional.

And yes, my 15 minute workout will do more for me in keeping me healthy than doing grueling life taxing workouts.

That is what annoys me about people that work out - they think that what they are doing is "good" for their health. They spout that stuff all the time like it is gospel.

It's ridiculous and wrong. In fact it more than likely takes off years from your life. Athletes as a whole probably have a much lower life expectancy than the average person. That sort of energy in energy out lifestyle takes a lot of your body.

I play sports because it is fun. It is really fun. If people get the same free from thought feeling when working out I get it. If they just work out a ton/etc because they think it is healthy then I don't get it. They could do much less and benefit their health much more.

Simply put, if you work out/exercise really hard a lot you are going to also consume a lot of calories. It is scientifically proven that a low calorie diet will keep you alive/healthier.

It's the reason a country like Japan has so many old and healthy people. They don't work out at all in that country, but they simply eat healthy food and don't eat a very high calorie diet.

Additionally, the age you live to is determined a lot by genetics. What you do during your life can either get you closer to your max, or take some years off.

mr.big35
04-26-2014, 09:59 AM

GOAT strong men

alenleomessi
04-26-2014, 10:06 AM
op and his buddies

http://p.twimg.com/AxofrEbCIAAoyBD.jpg:large

Inactive
04-26-2014, 10:10 AM

As for Dresta, yeah that's true....but none of that is as important as actual basketball ability. Once you are in reasonable enough shape to be able to play for a few hours, having a wet jumper, or tight handles is much more important to your game.Look at how Kevin Durant get bullied physically by Tony Allen, or how he was constantly getting pushed beyond the 3pt line by Lebron in 2012. A wet jumper does you no good if you get dominated off the ball. Look at how Shaq, or Charles Barkley got extremely high percentage shots, because they were able to dominate their opponents physically. Athleticism can be just as important as skill in basketball, and many other sports.

Additionally, people that workout to supplement (or because) of sports that makes sense to me. However, there are a large number of people that seem to just workout. Not play any sports. It's odd.
Powerlifting, and weightlifting are sports. There are also bodybuilders who just want to look like Hercules, for whatever reason. A lot of guys just take pride in being bigger, stronger, more masculine looking than others.

Most people who work out are just trying to stay in shape, and maybe put on a little bit of mass to impress females, but they aren't the ones who are putting up crazy numbers in the gym.

No, I'm not delusional.

And yes, my 15 minute workout will do more for me in keeping me healthy than doing grueling life taxing workouts.

That is what annoys me about people that work out - they think that what they are doing is "good" for their health. They spout that stuff all the time like it is gospel.

It's ridiculous and wrong. In fact it more than likely takes off years from your life. Athletes as a whole probably have a much lower life expectancy than the average person. That sort of energy in energy out lifestyle takes a lot of your body.You shouldn't necessarily equate longevity with health. You might live to 120 on a super calorie restricted diet, but be 100 pounds, with osteoporosis, no libido, reduced cognitive function, and poor overall quality of life.

Dresta
04-26-2014, 10:18 AM
No, I'm not delusional.

It's ridiculous and wrong. In fact it more than likely takes off years from your life. Athletes as a whole probably have a much lower life expectancy than the average person. That sort of energy in energy out lifestyle takes a lot of your body.

I play sports because it is fun. It is really fun. If people get the same free from thought feeling when working out I get it. If they just work out a ton/etc because they think it is healthy then I don't get it. They could do much less and benefit their health much more.

Simply put, if you work out/exercise really hard a lot you are going to also consume a lot of calories. It is scientifically proven that a low calorie diet will keep you alive/healthier.

It's the reason a country like Japan has so many old and healthy people. They don't work out at all in that country, but they simply eat healthy food and don't eat a very high calorie diet.

Additionally, the age you live to is determined a lot by genetics. What you do during your life can either get you closer to your max, or take some years off.
It is very possible that straining your body to its limits in youth could shorten your lifespan (but it is also the way to become the best at something), but people want to push themselves in this way because they care more about that then they do about some vague possibility of living to be 90 years old.

knickballer
04-26-2014, 10:28 AM

I heard actually if you wanted to exercise for good health all you need to do is go on the bike for 60 seconds on some high intensity. There was a documentary on it done by the BBC.

As for me I kinda agree with OP. I find it hilarious when people are deadlifting all this weight with improper form and start bragging about it, okay it's not like you didn't **** up your back or anything. The whole industry is getting out of hand and there's all kinds of misinformation and bro-science from everyone involved. Just finished my workout? Can't speak bro need to take my Maximus Hydrate supplement bro

But working out is great for you. Not only for the body but also for the mind. Exercise acts as an anti-depressant and your body releases endorphin(feel good drug)

CelticBaller
04-26-2014, 10:44 AM
Bro, do you even lift?

sundizz
04-26-2014, 11:03 AM
Bro, do you even lift?

I used to slave away an hour or so and lift etc but it was never fun. It made me feel good..but the actual activity was not fun. Combine that with learning girls really dont care, and it isnt necessarily that healthy it seemed pointless.

Pushups pullups and dips arent fun either. However it doesnt take me much time and i do know that i need to do something strength related.

In all honesty, anyone that can do 50 pushups, 20 pullups and 20 dips in row is about as physically strong anyone needs to be.

Meticode
04-26-2014, 11:16 AM
Doing big heavy low rep weight maxing out training leads two better strength building. So any sport where strength is important you're going to want to do that. If you do higher rep, more manageable weight that's more like body building and not gaining as much strength.

JohnnySic
04-26-2014, 11:25 AM
I do because I enjoy strength training. Yes, I do.

Heavy squats, heavy deads, clean and jerks, good mornings, all kinds of rows, military presses, power cleans, and benches. These are some of my favorite things.

The guys training for looks are the one's training to impress other people (girls - who, by the way, dont care).

I just like to compete with myself, top my personal bests. I dont care if anyone else cares, I care.

Budadiiii
04-26-2014, 11:31 AM
To get bigger and stronger. You dumbf*ck.

KobesFinger
04-26-2014, 12:19 PM
Increases your testosterone
Increases your self-worth
Makes you stronger

OhNoTimNoSho
04-26-2014, 12:22 PM
No, I'm not delusional.

So how old are you bro? 20? 18? 16? ...14?

You "don't get it" cus you're ignorant. Fitness is a science. You're saying a bunch of random generalities which mean nothing. Yea, an elite powerlifter or bodybuilder or marathon runner is ultimately hurting themselves because they're pushing their bodies to their absolute limits. But someone doing it for their actual health is way healthier than you. Your logic sucks. And they don't workout in Japan huh? Did you read that in a book?

chosen_one6
04-26-2014, 12:39 PM
Not everyone finds sports as a fun hobby. Not everyone has the time to play sports. Not everyone has the ability to get a group of people to play a sport. Not everyone is going to think like you. There are people that enjoy working out more than playing a sport. There are people that are highly motivated and want to change their body for whatever reason. There are some women that DO care if a guy works out (and those are usually girls that work out too) and to be honest I'd rather have a girl that stays in shape than one that doesn't and will be a whale in 10 years. There are a lot of benefits to lifting weights. Some of them may be superficial but at least it's a lot more of a healthy alternative than injecting foreign substances into your body or getting cosmetic work done like people used to.

Some say this is a "fad" that will go away over time but I disagree. More and more people are becoming aware of fitness and health to achieve sustained wellness and I think it's going to stay that way for a long time. It'll take some time but hopefully we stop being one of the most, if not THE most, obese country in the world.

tomSR.
04-26-2014, 01:11 PM
Increases your testosterone
Increases your self-worth
Makes you stronger

makes you look like an asshole........makes you likely to get into a fight......hate those jerks walking around with only a tanktop on, to show off the muscles and looking all mean and tough..........

AirTupac
04-26-2014, 02:08 PM
makes you look like an asshole........makes you likely to get into a fight......hate those jerks walking around with only a tanktop on, to show off the muscles and looking all mean and tough..........

Hows your ****** feeling like today

GimmeThat
04-26-2014, 02:18 PM

Oh no, you are absolutely right, and you are going to turn into a vegetarian one day and even bitch about why people eat meat period.

GimmeThat
04-26-2014, 02:29 PM
because it's a guilty pleasure that's just about a billion times better than the other ones out there?

IamRAMBO24
04-26-2014, 02:45 PM
When you are working out for 15 minutes (which is pathetic), you just don't get it. To you it is just working out. For runners who run marathons and competitive lifters they do it to better themselves mentally. They are conditioning their mind and body to not only look great, be healthy, but to be better individuals in all aspects of their lives. Some even go as far as view it as a spiritual experience.

I said it before, if you're just working out to be fit and get girls, then you will be a loser. Exercise is much more than that and should be treated as such.

IamRAMBO24
04-26-2014, 02:52 PM
I used to slave away an hour or so and lift etc but it was never fun. It made me feel good..but the actual activity was not fun. Combine that with learning girls really dont care, and it isnt necessarily that healthy it seemed pointless.

Pushups pullups and dips arent fun either. However it doesnt take me much time and i do know that i need to do something strength related.

In all honesty, anyone that can do 50 pushups, 20 pullups and 20 dips in row is about as physically strong anyone needs to be.

I run for at least an hour. Why? I want that runner's high. That's the fun and addicting part. It's the best feeling ever. You can't experience that with your measley 15 minutes.

Lifters who are pushing beyond their threshold are going through a transformational phase. They are becoming better than what they were before. Doing 50 sh*tty pushups aint gonna create some epiphany, which is really the whole point as to why some people push themselves that hard.

tomSR.
04-26-2014, 04:58 PM
Hows your ****** feeling like today

Don

KobesFinger
04-26-2014, 05:00 PM
[QUOTE=tomSR.]Don

ArbitraryWater
04-26-2014, 05:02 PM
[QUOTE=tomSR.]Don

outbreak
04-26-2014, 05:14 PM
I have a friend who was a nerdy guy and got hooked on the gym fad, takes all the supplements. In like 4 years he still has no muscles, I have more and I don't work out at all.

I get people trying to stay fit but these days people take it to the extreme, it's hard to say your lifting and doing regimes to stay "fit and healthy" when your taking a bunch of iffy supplements that people still debate on whether or not they cause damage to other organs and muscle or when your lifting so much or doing crossfit so much that your ****ing up your joints and body just to look overly rippe or just to claim you participate in that sub culture.

Vragrant
04-26-2014, 05:15 PM
Weightlifting has been said to increase bone density, which obviously helps you into old age. It also helps with coordination, I notice my off hand has more control, which makes sense because you are doing a labour intensive activity with it.

Also I don't see any downside to getting stronger, unless you are overextending yourself

johndeeregreen
04-26-2014, 05:41 PM

You're also insanely conceited and self-absorbed, otherwise you would understand that other people may have different interests and different definitions of fun than you.

Bosnian Sajo
04-26-2014, 06:53 PM

Maybe not in South Korea, but here in the states girls melt for guys with some definition.

JEFFERSON MONEY
04-26-2014, 07:05 PM
Life liberty and I pursuit of hsppiness

oarabbus
04-26-2014, 08:48 PM

As for Dresta, yeah that's true....but none of that is as important as actual basketball ability. Once you are in reasonable enough shape to be able to play for a few hours, having a wet jumper, or tight handles is much more important to your game.

I think as people grow up they forget how ridiculously fun it is to play sports. America has very few/shizzy organized outlets for adults to play regularly. It's mostly got a bunch of fitness centers.

Out here (South Korea) there are more 30 to 60 year olds at the park playing some sort of sport than there are 12 to 25 year olds. People 12 to 25 either have too much studying, school, or just starting a career, so they don't have the time to get out that much.

Obviously bball skill is most important to bball... but you're misrepresenting it. I was a track/XC guy back in the day and was always pretty weak with little muscle but lots of endurance. I had no problem playing several hours of ball but I couldn't muscle anyone or fight for rebounds, nor was I explosive. I kept getting more skilled, but my skill didn't translate to a better game until I started lifting and got considerably stronger. Like Dresta said, squats and deadlifts are extremely important. I used to have weak shoulders so military press is a huge one too.

Bandito
04-26-2014, 09:00 PM
I like lifting weight s because it gets me ***** easier than before I use to lift. I like ***** a lot.

sundizz
04-27-2014, 01:01 AM
Who would you consider had a better life/healthy etc? For arguments sake let's say they have very similar genetic history, race, body type, etc.

Person A:
5'11
18% bodyfat
Diet:
Drinks homemade juice 1x a day (e.g kale, spinach, carrots, etc using a juicer) in the morning. Eat delicious food, but doesn't eat dessert often (1x a week), and tries to stay away from processed food (e.g. Hamburger Helper). Total calories about 1900 per day.
Exercise (in his backyard):
Sprints 2x a week in the morning after juice (T, Th) - 15 minutes
Strength: Does 5 sets of pullups, 5 sets of pushups, 5 sets of dips - 30 minutes (M, W, F)
Sports: Plays basketball for a few hours on Saturday morning with friends
Body feeling: Is generally pain-free, doesn't get sick often.
Age: Doesn't smoke. Drinks 1-2 cups of coffee a day. Drinks 1x a month with friends. Expected life expectancy 81.

Person B:
5'11
9%
Diet: Eats 6x meals a day and meticulously prepares them to meet caloric and dietary requirements. Eats a lot of protein and takes supplements. Total calories about 3,200.
Exercise: Everyday, varied weight lifting/etc to maintain "buff" physique spends about 2 hours a day going to/working out/coming home from the gym.
Body feeling: Usually feels like they have high energy, normal body pains from working out, occasional injuries from overlifting.
Age: Doesn't smoke. Doesn't drink. Expected life expectancy 64.

NotYetGreat
04-27-2014, 01:23 AM
It's kind of unfair to give examples like those because not person who lifts weights lifts that way, eats that way, or whatever. Of course when you put it that way, it's going to sound like person A (which is based on what you do, right?) is healthier because of the way person B was described. Sure, from that we may be able to say A is healthier than B, but does B represent the whole weightlifting population? No, they don't.

I lift as heavy as I can for what parameters a certain movement will allow me three times a week, do intermittent fasting and eat two meals a day with my biggest one being at night, and do sprints mixed with some other cardio movement twice a week but because I lift, does that make me less healthy than you? I have no idea, but that definitely does not put me in the category B is in, and there are a host of other combinations of lifestyle habits that could include lifting heavy weights.

IamRAMBO24
04-27-2014, 01:34 AM
Who would you consider had a better life/healthy etc? For arguments sake let's say they have very similar genetic history, race, body type, etc.

Person A:
5'11
18% bodyfat
Diet:
Drinks homemade juice 1x a day (e.g kale, spinach, carrots, etc using a juicer) in the morning. Eat delicious food, but doesn't eat dessert often (1x a week), and tries to stay away from processed food (e.g. Hamburger Helper). Total calories about 1900 per day.
Strength: Does 5 sets of pullups, 5 sets of pushups, 5 sets of dips - 30 minutes (M, W, F)
Age: Doesn't smoke. Drinks 1-2 cups of coffee a day. Drinks 1x a month with friends. Expected life expectancy 81.

Person B:
5'11
9%
Diet: Eats 6x meals a day and meticulously prepares them to meet caloric and dietary requirements. Eats a lot of protein and takes supplements. Total calories about 3,200.
Exercise: Everyday, varied weight lifting/etc to maintain "buff" physique spends about 2 hours a day going to/working out/coming home from the gym.
Body feeling: Usually feels like they have high energy, normal body pains from working out, occasional injuries from overlifting.

The flaw in your argument is that you assume the purpose of exercise is to be healthy. Granted, you can have a case since eating healthy, avoiding cigs and drinking, and doing some light exercises can lead to a healthy lifestyle, but your reasoning is fallacious since you are not taking in other factors.

1. Muscle mass equates to sexiness. This is why men want to buff up; they want some mad p*ssy.

2. Stronger is better in sports.

3. Stronger is better for confidence and mentality.

Your point is moot since you are not taking these factors (and so many others) into consideration. You are just trolling if you are going to stick to your fallacious "health" argument.

oarabbus
04-27-2014, 01:34 AM
[QUOTE=tomSR.]Don

ace23
04-27-2014, 01:36 AM
Why do people lift heavy weights?

People post the dumbest shit.

ThePhantomCreep
04-27-2014, 01:39 AM
[QUOTE=tomSR.]Don

ThePhantomCreep
04-27-2014, 01:50 AM

Person A:
5'11
18% bodyfat
Diet:

Person B:
5'11
9%

Lol @ the pseudo-science. Could you please share your evidence that resistance training shortens life-spans?

Henry Rollins summed up perfectly why I personally enjoy lifting weights.

sundizz
04-27-2014, 01:53 AM
The flaw in your argument is that you assume the purpose of exercise is to be healthy. Granted, you can have a case since eating healthy, avoiding cigs and drinking, and doing some light exercises can lead to a healthy lifestyle, but your reasoning is fallacious since you are not taking in other factors.

1. Muscle mass equates to sexiness. This is why men want to buff up; they want some mad p*ssy.

2. Stronger is better in sports.

3. Stronger is better for confidence and mentality.

Your point is moot since you are not taking these factors (and so many others) into consideration. You are just trolling if you are going to stick to your fallacious "health" argument.

Well, yes if people don't exercise to be healthy then I can wholeheartedly agree with it.

For example, someone who works out a lot because that is their sport...that makes sense. Someone who works out a lot because they think that is what being "healthy" means is what I don't understand.

As for your points,

1. No, it really does not. Only people with big muscles say that, or have blinders on and just see that around them. There is a difference between being ugly, nerdy and out of shape and being "normal" looking. I'm only comparing "normal looking" not fat, not weak looking guys to yoked big guys. Being more muscular doesn't get you more girls, and in fact, turns some girls off. Of course there is a small % of girls that prefer that, so this argument is more about your preference of girl as a guy.

If the argument:
Peter vs. Peter all muscular and big

and the competition is out of 1000 normal girls do more prefer regular Peter or super buff Peter...i'd say normal Peter wins at least 60/40.

2. Yeah, but stronger is relative. For a sport like basketball, being pushups and pullups strong can be just as effective, if not more effective, than being weights strong. I really have no problem with using weights. They are great. At a professional level it makes sense, since your job is to be the best. Of course the best combo is the combo of weights + other stuff. For the regular person though, weights for sports is not that great of an argument imo.

Again Peter has 2 hours, he can either
a) Spend 20 minutes doing pushups/pullups/dips and spend an hour 40 practicing his handles and shots

or

b) Spend a lot of time in the weight room and be too sore to shoot around and improve his actual skills

After six month, Peter version A would likely be the better basketball player.

3. This couldn't be further from the truth. Confidence is relative to what you are doing. You may have a self inflated ego, but just because you are buff doesn't mean that confidence carries over everywhere. Confidence is merely a factor of repetition and internal fortitude. Again, you are comparing a weak, nerdy guy to a buff guy My argument is about normal guys vs. buff guys.

oarabbus
04-27-2014, 02:26 AM
Dude, girls like guys with muscles and a 6 pack. Not being as ripped as Arnold, but are you really deluding yourself into thinking women like skinny, scrawny guys as much as ripped guys? There is a reason almost all Hollywood actors are at least a bit muscular, even though they don't "need" to be.

Trentknicks
04-27-2014, 02:51 AM
Well, yes if people don't exercise to be healthy then I can wholeheartedly agree with it.

For example, someone who works out a lot because that is their sport...that makes sense. Someone who works out a lot because they think that is what being "healthy" means is what I don't understand.

As for your points,

1. No, it really does not. Only people with big muscles say that, or have blinders on and just see that around them. There is a difference between being ugly, nerdy and out of shape and being "normal" looking. I'm only comparing "normal looking" not fat, not weak looking guys to yoked big guys. Being more muscular doesn't get you more girls, and in fact, turns some girls off. Of course there is a small % of girls that prefer that, so this argument is more about your preference of girl as a guy.

If the argument:
Peter vs. Peter all muscular and big

and the competition is out of 1000 normal girls do more prefer regular Peter or super buff Peter...i'd say normal Peter wins at least 60/40.

2. Yeah, but stronger is relative. For a sport like basketball, being pushups and pullups strong can be just as effective, if not more effective, than being weights strong. I really have no problem with using weights. They are great. At a professional level it makes sense, since your job is to be the best. Of course the best combo is the combo of weights + other stuff. For the regular person though, weights for sports is not that great of an argument imo.

Again Peter has 2 hours, he can either
a) Spend 20 minutes doing pushups/pullups/dips and spend an hour 40 practicing his handles and shots

or

b) Spend a lot of time in the weight room and be too sore to shoot around and improve his actual skills

After six month, Peter version A would likely be the better basketball player.

3. This couldn't be further from the truth. Confidence is relative to what you are doing. You may have a self inflated ego, but just because you are buff doesn't mean that confidence carries over everywhere. Confidence is merely a factor of repetition and internal fortitude. Again, you are comparing a weak, nerdy guy to a buff guy My argument is about normal guys vs. buff guys.
It's pretty obvious what's caused this thread.

You don't look that good, aren't very strong and instead of giving it your all and using dedication over a long period of time to reach your goal, you now attempt to diminish the better results of others by questioning their methods and results.

sundizz
04-27-2014, 03:26 AM
I actually have no problem admitting I don't look as good as I possibly can. At the same time, I understand that my "vanity" and my health do not go hand in hand. I respect the dedication and effort people put into their "sport" of lifting. I have that same dedication to basketball. I love talking about it, playing it, getting better at it, etc. I know it's not the best way to get/stay healthy, but it is fun.

Dude, girls like guys with muscles and a 6 pack. Not being as ripped as Arnold, but are you really deluding yourself into thinking women like skinny, scrawny guys as much as ripped guys? There is a reason almost all Hollywood actors are at least a bit muscular, even though they don't "need" to be.

I'm not talking about scrawny guys...im talking about normal fit guys. Lean look > Buff look when it comes to girls.

Also, Hollywood actors are generally that because of their looks. For them, they are good looking/have value regardless of if they are muscular or not. However, if you want to talk about celebrities...i'd say the top 50 rockstars get more pssy than any other top 50 list of people and they are malnourished looking guys.

Ron Jeremy
04-27-2014, 03:52 AM
This thread is in the running for dumbest thread of the year. Congrats.

dkmwise
04-27-2014, 07:07 PM

What are you basing this thought on? Did you see it in a research study somewhere or are you just coming up with assumptions with nothing to back it up?

It is scientifically proven that a low calorie diet will keep you alive/healthier.

Low calorie based on what your body burns in a day, not just low for the sake of being low. The more you workout the more you burn and can up your calories to adjust for that and still be as healthy

IamRAMBO24
04-27-2014, 07:25 PM
.i'd say the top 50 rockstars get more pssy than any other top 50 list of people and they are malnourished looking guys.

Base on this line of reasoning, you are saying malnourished looking guys get as much girls as buff guys?

Elaborate.

IamRAMBO24
04-27-2014, 07:29 PM

Exercise can increase confidence. Sure you can get confidence from somewhere else, but many people who exercise has gained confidence as a result. It is also a mind builder: take Arnold Schwarzenegger for example, he has publicly advocated exercise for success and goals. His reasoning is that working out and visualizing the end result is a great way to fine tune the mind to a set goal, so exercise is not just about health, which makes your argument moot and full of flaws.

JohnStarks
04-27-2014, 08:29 PM
Have you guys met Zyzz brah ? Here's is his story and here's one of his douchy video (he's deceased btw )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aziz_Shavershian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWT1AnDVen4

PullupJay
04-27-2014, 08:38 PM
People like makin all kiiiiiinds of gains (all kinds).

When somebody claims they deadlift 400 pounds I'm just like cool story bro. That's a lot of weight and there is a chance that a)they are full of sh1t. B)they are half assing and have terrible form.

If you just keep lifting heavy weights for no reason,its cool from the mental aspect that you keep pushing yourself and challenging yourself,but I feel that they should utilize their stregnth for something like sports or a hypertrophy or muscle endurance program with body weights or something.

Lifting heavy all the time (year round),takes a toll on bones. Unless you are a power athlete,or something I wouldn't do it year around. Its good for beginners and for people who hit platues in their hypertrophy routine.

Edit*

To the Op, there is absolutely nothing wrong with what you do regarding training, as long as it supports you in what you want.

ArbitraryWater
04-27-2014, 08:56 PM
Have you guys met Zyzz brah ? Here's is his story and here's one of his douchy video (he's deceased btw )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aziz_Shavershian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWT1AnDVen4

I don't know why you're showing a dance montage... also you're ignoring that his family had a history of heart problems. Dont act like this is remotely a regular case...

JohnStarks
04-27-2014, 09:20 PM
I don't know why you're showing a dance montage... also you're ignoring that his family had a history of heart problems. Dont act like this is remotely a regular case...

He was the biggest joke on the internet and he died because of steroid abuse.

CelticBaller
04-27-2014, 09:25 PM
lol this guy doesn't lift

Im Still Ballin
04-28-2014, 09:07 AM
OP definately is a salty bitch.

Makes an effort to hate on weightlifting, you are clearly insecure in some form about your body when around others who do lift.

eriX
04-28-2014, 09:09 AM

Person A:
5'11
18% bodyfat
Diet:

Person B:
5'11
9%

LOL 9% body fat and you take 3.2k calories a day? are you serious? And then you go on to say 1.9k calories for someone at 18% body fat? Do you even know how calories work? :roll:
Normal body pains from working out? soreness is not body pain and occasional injuries from over lifting... jesus the shiet that you spew out hahaha, if you have correct form you should rarely ever have injuries.

Judging on this alone you have no knowledge about nutrition and diet planning, nor do you know anything about the human body and its conditioning. And then you go on to say girls don't like a men with a physique? :biggums:
Don't know what planet you live in but most female would prefer a male who spent time perfecting their physique than one that don't.

And then to counter your point about balling and working out... you do know that ALL basketball players workout and then ball right? Have you seen any tapes what so ever of teams workingout? :facepalm How do you think howard got that physique, did you think lebron who is considered the greatest physical specimen just do 15minutes of pull ups to get to his physical condition? :facepalm

The amount of facepalm material you give is too much. This should go into the cringe worthy threat cause its disgusting :facepalm :facepalm

Im Still Ballin
04-28-2014, 09:13 AM
The guys who say girls dont like men with physiques/good bodies are the same people that say dick size dosen't matter

im afraid you'd be wrong on both counts

JohnnySic
04-28-2014, 10:20 AM
Just thought I'd drop in to mention that I squated 355 lbs for 6 reps yesterday. Nothing to brag about but still a personal best. :D

JohnnySic
04-28-2014, 12:58 PM
but ur 5'5 :oldlol:
6'2" :no:

Wile E. Coyote
04-28-2014, 01:21 PM
http://s8.postimg.org/4e4too31h/4nxc.jpg

JEFFERSON MONEY
04-28-2014, 01:29 PM
OP does have a point thought.

Lifting heavy is taxing on the nervous system and if you were more into
say raising a family
or making money
or having lots of sex
or partaking another hobby

you'd need all the energy possible.

Let me put it this way. On vacation I can get by on 3-4 hours of sleep and function easily if all I had to do was chillax. To feel fresh from a hard workout that ramps up to 7 or 8. And at least an extra meal.

Props to people who can handle heavy squats and deads, a creative art, an intellectual hobby, a social life, work, a girlfriend, and school simultaneously while keeping cortisol levels low. Consider yourself envied.

Balla_Status
04-28-2014, 02:22 PM

say raising a family
or making money
or having lots of sex

Let me put it this way. On vacation I can get by on 3-4 hours of sleep and function easily if all I had to do was chillax. To feel fresh from a hard workout that ramps up to 7 or 8. And at least an extra meal.

Props to people who can handle heavy squats and deads, a creative art, an intellectual hobby, a social life, work, a girlfriend, and school simultaneously while keeping cortisol levels low. Consider yourself envied.

No shit.

"Yeah, gonna get my meals ready for the week on Sunday."

Gets a call from his mate to go to a soccer game. Has a sunday funday and gets drunk and shows up hungover to work.

Fuuuuuck.

Also doesn't help that I've been traveling on different sleep schedules and two timezones 15 hours difference. So hard to get consistent lifting results when you don't have a consistent schedule. Still make some gains but not as much.

Balla_Status
04-28-2014, 02:23 PM
I used to think like OP...not a massive guy or anything but lifting is actually pretty fun. If you played sports your whole life, you kinda get burnt out on it and want to try something different for yourself.

CelticBaller
04-28-2014, 02:26 PM
http://s8.postimg.org/4e4too31h/4nxc.jpg
:oldlol:

Swaggin916
04-28-2014, 03:26 PM

say raising a family
or making money
or having lots of sex

I don't think that person exists lol... unless their on substances. Then they are dead at 40. Like a high mass star burning incredible amounts of energy only to crap out because it's too much.

step_back
04-28-2014, 05:37 PM
I've been both very over weight and very fit in my lifetime. I can tell you now that being fit, muscular and strong is infinitely better. Being unfit has absolutely zero positives. Everything from my mood to quality of sleep is significantly better when I'm in good shape.

Providing you build up gradually and pay attention to good form you should be able to lift heavy weight without injury.

riseagainst
04-29-2014, 03:04 PM
OP...

:facepalm