PDA

View Full Version : Barkley: "Tony Parker is the best player on the Spurs"

ninephive
04-26-2014, 05:43 PM
Thank you, once again doing everything, including getting Duncan wide open dunks.

atljonesbro
04-26-2014, 05:46 PM
Thought this was common knowledge.

TheMarkMadsen
04-26-2014, 05:47 PM
He has been for years..

He also said Monta was the best player on the Mavs at this point in dirks career

LONGTIME
04-26-2014, 05:47 PM
Barkley flip flopping again didn't he say Kawhi Leonard was their best player not too long ago?

navy
04-26-2014, 05:48 PM
He has been for the past few years. Even Popovich has said it. I think if I looked I could find Duncan saying it as well.

RagaZ
04-26-2014, 05:49 PM
Thank you Captain Obvious.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
04-26-2014, 05:52 PM
He will disappear like he always does in the playoffs

DMAVS41
04-26-2014, 05:53 PM
He has been for years..

He also said Monta was the best player on the Mavs at this point in dirks career

Yea, not sure what Barkley is talking about...unless he meant just in this series.

Dirk was clearly the Mavs best player all year.

Ellis was great though...just wasn't as good as Dirk.

WallIn
04-26-2014, 05:54 PM
Great analysis by Sir Charles. He finally convinced me:eek:

SCdac
04-26-2014, 05:54 PM
Is that a good thing? ... is the ultimate question

Spurs have never won a championship with Parker as their best player.

ABfor3
04-26-2014, 05:58 PM
I thought Matt Bonner was

ninephive
04-26-2014, 05:58 PM
Thank you Captain Obvious.
There are tons of people on this board who say Duncan is the Spurs' best player.

TheMarkMadsen
04-26-2014, 05:59 PM

FMVP

If it wasnt for Denzel's kid Parker would have been considered the best player by far on a championship team last year

ninephive
04-26-2014, 06:00 PM

Yah, no one's saying Parker is the Spurs' best player of all time, just the past several years.

ninephive
04-26-2014, 06:00 PM
Thought this was common knowledge.
So did I, just not in Spurs' threads on this forum.

Milbuck
04-26-2014, 06:02 PM
Yea, not sure what Barkley is talking about...unless he meant just in this series.

Dirk was clearly the Mavs best player all year.

Ellis was great though...just wasn't as good as Dirk.
As I was reading this, I couldn't imagine how serious and non-Lebron related it was...until I realized you weren't Silk :oldlol:

What's with the avy?

zoom17
04-26-2014, 06:04 PM

Like your boy Durant.

DMAVS41
04-26-2014, 06:12 PM
As I was reading this, I couldn't imagine how serious and non-Lebron related it was...until I realized you weren't Silk :oldlol:

What's with the avy?

Lost the avy bet on the Thunder game...

secund2nun
04-26-2014, 06:32 PM
Barkley is an idiot. Parker is just a replaceable PG. Duncan is the Spurs. Duncan is a much better player than Parker. He is the defensive anchor, a good post scorer, and a good rebounder. The fact people actually think Parker is better than Duncan shows just how overrated guards are.

robert_shaww
04-26-2014, 06:35 PM

This.

robert_shaww
04-26-2014, 06:37 PM
Spurs with 6 rings in Ducan/Manu era with any other average PG.

TheMarkMadsen
04-26-2014, 06:42 PM
Spurs with 6 rings in Ducan/Manu era with any other average PG.

What

Marlo_Stanfield
04-26-2014, 06:44 PM
Barkley is an idiot. Parker is just a replaceable PG. Duncan is the Spurs. Duncan is a much better player than Parker. He is the defensive anchor, a good post scorer, and a good rebounder. The fact people actually think Parker is better than Duncan shows just how overrated guards are.
this.
hes afraid to score right now fearing dirks shot blocking:biggums:

PickernRoller
04-26-2014, 06:51 PM
Barkley should wear a captain obvious shirt.

Parker has been the best Spurs player since 07. He runs the show. Tim will give you flashes of 1999-2005 Tim Duncan once in a while and make you go "WOW"...but lettuce be the real deal - Tony is the MVP of the Spurs.

PickernRoller
04-26-2014, 06:53 PM
Like your boy Durant.

:oldlol:

TheMarkMadsen
04-26-2014, 07:05 PM
Monta Ellis has been the Mavs best player this post season though

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
04-26-2014, 07:17 PM
Tony was benched the whole 4th including on their last clutch plays for PATTY MILLS:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Manu>>>>>>>>Tony

fpliii
04-26-2014, 07:19 PM
:applause:

/thread (bolded is going a bit overboard, though)

SCdac
04-26-2014, 07:24 PM
:oldlol: Parker taken out in the 4th . Pop rolling with Patty

T_L_P
04-26-2014, 07:30 PM
What's your beef with Duncan? You seem amendment that he can't be the Spurs' best player, even though the two are very comparable. In fact, the only time the Spurs have gotten to the Finals since this became "Parker's team" is when Duncan firmly cemented himself as our best player again.

ninephive
04-26-2014, 07:43 PM
:oldlol: Parker taken out in the 4th . Pop rolling with Patty
Exactly. And look how it turned out. AGAIN. Remember last year G6 when Pop pulled Tony in overtime? Same story.

ninephive
04-26-2014, 07:49 PM
What's your beef with Duncan? You seem amendment that he can't be the Spurs' best player, even though the two are very comparable. In fact, the only time the Spurs have gotten to the Finals since this became "Parker's team" is when Duncan firmly cemented himself as our best player again.
I'm just trying to balance it back. You guys act like Duncan is what drives the Spurs team, when it's Tony constantly creating the offense and getting Duncan great looks, often wide open dunks when he pulls 3 defenders to him. But because Pop has never liked him much, he constantly pulls him at the end of games thinking his veteran instincts won't kick in. And no matter how many times that comes back to bite Pop, he won't change. Parker is literally our best offensive creator and yet he's not in the game to take the last shot. When Ginobili does make a late shot like he did tonight, he doesn't wind the clock even though he literally could have taken the last shot. I've never understood that crap.

SCdac
04-26-2014, 07:51 PM
Exactly. And look how it turned out. AGAIN. Remember last year G6 when Pop pulled Tony in overtime? Same story.

I also remember Parker averaging 16 ppg on .41 FG% in the Finals. He had had a 10 point, 3-12 FG, Game 7.

I got nothing against Parker, and he's absolutely necessary for the Spurs to succeed, but he's no world-beater, he's on the wrong side of 30 (for a franchise player), and he's very guardable once you pack the paint and back off of him.

I would not blame this loss on "not playing Parker enough", nor would I blame the loss exclusively on "Parker playing badly", but I thought it was the right decision to sit him as he wasn't doing much and Patty is more comfortable with his own range. Parker was going ISO alot in this game.

Going back to my initial post, the Spurs have yet to win a championship with Parker as the full-fledged best player. If anything, Spurs have maintained contenders largely due to resurgences from Duncan.

Carbine
04-26-2014, 07:53 PM
Tony is the best offensive player on a consistent basis by a decent amount. Duncan probably the second.

Duncan is the best defender on the Spurs. Tony is just a guy, he's not really doing much except for a steal here and there.

Depends what you value more. You can easily make the case they're both 1A.

DMAVS41
04-26-2014, 07:54 PM
I also remember Parker averaging 16 ppg on .41 FG% in the Finals. He had had a 10 point, 3-12 FG, Game 7.

I got nothing against Parker, and he's absolutely necessary for the Spurs to succeed, but he's no world-beater, he's on the wrong side of 30 (for a franchise player), and he's very guardable once you pack the paint and back off of him.

I would not blame this loss on "not playing Parker enough", nor would I blame the loss exclusively on "Parker playing badly", but I thought it was the right decision to sit him as he wasn't doing much and Patty is more comfortable with his own range. Parker was going ISO alot in this game.

Going back to my initial post, the Spurs have yet to win a championship with Parker as the full-fledged best player. If anything, Spurs have maintained contenders largely due to resurgences from Duncan.

Exactly this.

SCdac
04-26-2014, 07:55 PM
People need to remember... Parker averaged 29.4 mpg and 16.7 ppg this season.... The Spurs distribution on offense is very very even (may be part of the reason they're both great and fallible)... Parker may be the best player, but the Spurs play like the 2003-2005 Pistons (no real super star leader)

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
04-26-2014, 07:55 PM
Tony is the best offensive player on a consistent basis by a decent amount. Duncan probably the second.

Duncan is the best defender on the Spurs. Tony is just a guy, he's not really doing much except for a steal here and there.

Depends what you value more. You can easily make the case they're both 1A.
Manus a better offensive player than Tony and Timmy
thats why he runs the show in crunch time and was the Spurs 2nd half MVP

Odinn
04-26-2014, 08:11 PM

Exactly this.

Also, the Spurs can win it all while Parker as their best player and it would be thanks to Duncan. Duncan is still just as good as Parker but he doesn't need to be the focused one. He just doesn't care as long as the team wins. The #1 priorty is team getting the win. If Duncan is playing like there is no tomorrow, like he did in game 6&7 of 2013 NBA Finals or game 4&5&6 of 2012 WC Finals, and the Spurs are still losing, then you can be sure the essential part of the Spurs is not Parker.

ninephive
04-26-2014, 08:11 PM
That is simply not true. He is a turnover machine.

ninephive
04-26-2014, 08:12 PM

Are you talking about the series where he was hurt and still had huge clutch shots?

Carbine
04-26-2014, 08:13 PM
People need to remember... Parker averaged 29.4 mpg and 16.7 ppg this season.... The Spurs distribution on offense is very very even (may be part of the reason they're both great and fallible)... Parker may be the best player, but the Spurs play like the 2003-2005 Pistons (no real super star leader)

PPG don't measure Tony's impact as an offensive player correctly.

He scores for himself but gets a lot of other guys (Including Duncan) wide open looks. They have balanced scoring usually because they just try to get the best shot possible. It's not Parker shooting contested jumper after contested jumper.

Manu is too much of a wild card. One game he can be their best offensive player, the next he can be a complete no show and actually hurt the team.

Anaximandro1
04-26-2014, 08:46 PM
the only thing that matters: the Spurs are trailing their series against the Mavs 2-1.

They need to wake up soon.