PDA

View Full Version : Reactions to the Donald Sterling audio tape news

SpecialQue
04-26-2014, 06:51 PM
Since the other topic's turning into people spouting out racism, I figured I'd post some reactions here, mainly from Twitter:

Kobe Bryant ‏@kobebryant 19m

I couldn't play for him

Baron Davis ‏@Baron_Davis 5h

That's the way it is...He is honest about what he believes in..Been going on for a long time, Hats off 2 the Team.. 4 playin above it all.

Wells P ‏@Wells_P 5h

Clippers JUST got fans and this happens.

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing 4h

Donald Sterling sits courtside near the national TV broadcasters' table for home Clippers games. Warriors at Clippers on Tuesday night.

Julius Sharpe ‏@juliussharpe 5h

Sure, these Donald Sterling statements sound bad, but remember we're hearing them in context.

David Pomerantz ‏@davidpom2000 5h

@pattonoswalt Well, I guess "Take a Black Person to a Clippers Game Day" is postponed indefinitely.

Earvin Magic Johnson ‏@MagicJohnson 5h

TMZ reported this morning that Clippers owner Donald Sterling doesn't want me or other African-Americans to come to Clippers games.

.@cjbycookie and I will never go to a Clippers game again as long as Donald Sterling is the owner.

I feel sorry for my friends Coach Doc Rivers and Chris Paul that they have to work for a man that feels that way about African Americans.

LA Clippers owner Donald Sterling's comments about African Americans are a black eye for the NBA.

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 4h

Silver's long-term goal has to be getting DS to sell. But legally there's no real precedent. NBA couldn't get George Shinn to sell either.

PickernRoller
04-26-2014, 06:56 PM
Media hyping this up like the second coming of Jesus.

Meanwhile thousands of children just died today cause of hunger.

First world problems: an alleged racist tried by the court of social media.

SpecialQue
04-26-2014, 07:00 PM

Are you fvcking kidding me? :biggums:

Marlo_Stanfield
04-26-2014, 07:00 PM

how first good post you ever made

guy
04-26-2014, 07:02 PM

So according to your logic, no one should ever talk about anything at all other then child hunger since pretty much everything else pales in comparison to it. Right?

kamil
04-26-2014, 07:06 PM
Charles Barkley wants the NBA to suspend him. How does an owner get suspended? What happens exactly?

SpecialQue
04-26-2014, 07:08 PM
Charles Barkley wants the NBA to suspend him. How does an owner get suspended? What happens exactly?

Maybe they can get his girlfriend to stop sucking his dick. :confusedshrug:

SwishSquared
04-26-2014, 07:08 PM

The only thing I can think of that pertains to a suspension is being banned to attend games, practices, show up at team facilities, NBA related events, etc. Basically he can no longer be directly involved with anything related to NBA.

If tape gets authenticated, anybody think a fine of $1M being reasonable?

SpecialQue
04-26-2014, 07:10 PM
More:

Joseph Goodman @JoeGoodmanJr
Follow

LeBron says he would consider sitting out if he played for Clippers.

Metta World Peace ✔ @MettaWorldPeace
Follow

Racism is a mental health disease. Seek help.

Metta World Peace ✔ @MettaWorldPeace
Follow

@LAClippers players , good luck on your next game. You guys worked your entire life for this moment.I predict Mavs but hope Clips win it all

Diamond Leung @diamond83
Follow

Mark Jackson says Donald Sterling's remarks are "unacceptable."

SpecialQue
04-26-2014, 07:11 PM
A LOT more from Lebron:

[QUOTE]Miami Heat star LeBron James spoke to reporters before Game 4 of Miami's series vs. Charlotte about the alleged racist comments from Donald Sterling which were released Saturday by TMZ. From the Miami Herald:

What are your thoughts on Donald Sterling's comments?

moe94
04-26-2014, 07:12 PM

Why do people always use this line? :oldlol:

16X
04-26-2014, 07:26 PM
it's very appalling and one of my best friends and dear friends plays on his team in Chris Paul and I haven't had an opportunity to talk to him but I can only imagine what's going through his head.”
Oh STFU Lebron you attention whore. Your dear friend knew about Sterling's over the top racism for years and he still chose to resign.

guy
04-26-2014, 07:30 PM
I know there's behavioral clauses in player's contracts that gives the team the right to release players if they violate it, although I know its almost impossible to do i.e. Gilbert Arenas. Is there anything similar that's the other way around? Where players can leave due to such dramatic issues with management?

Not sure the legality and possibility of this, but the NBA should give the players and coaches the right to become a free agent after this season and fine Sterling for any wages they may miss out on if they end up getting paid less then what they were due over the years they would otherwise be on contract still. In the meantime, suspend Sterling for the rest of the season. Of course, doubt this would happen, but they got to give these guys some opportunity to stop working for this guy soon.

jstern
04-26-2014, 07:31 PM

What a ****ing ignorant comment.

Why talk about anything, since there are so many children dying of hunger?

Why talk about a game during half time, because there are so many children dying of hunger?

Why talk about Vince Carter hitting a game winner, we should be talking about children dying of hunger, since technically that's more important.

The thread created about Blake Griffin throwing water to a fan, every response should completely ignore the title and talk about all the children in the world dying of hunger.

Either you're a troll or an extremely stupid and weak minded person that's feeling uncomfortable because you sympathies with Sterling's views.

oarabbus
04-26-2014, 07:31 PM
Julius Sharpe ‏@juliussharpe 5h

Sure, these Donald Sterling statements sound bad, but remember we're hearing them in context.

:biggums: that makes no sense

Im so nba'd out
04-26-2014, 07:33 PM

and you sit at your computer doing nothing while it happens....hypocrite

SpecialQue
04-26-2014, 07:33 PM
More:

[QUOTE]ESPN reporter Stephen A. Smith says several members of the L.A. Clippers considered not taking the floor tomorrow against the Golden State Warriors as a protest against team owner Donald Sterling. Smith says several players on the team are FURIOUS after hearing the comments Sterling made to his girlfriend in an audio tape published by TMZ Sports. Its (sic) unclear what will happen tomorrow

D-Rose
04-26-2014, 07:34 PM
sarcasm perhaps?

oarabbus
04-26-2014, 07:35 PM
Do the right thing Clips players! Give us an easy walk to the 2nd round

...Redick, Turkoglu and Mullens can still play :oldlol:

ZenMaster
04-26-2014, 07:41 PM

edit: ha didn't even hear the magic part til now.

BlkMambaGOAT
04-26-2014, 07:47 PM

The sad and ironic part is thousands of people are also dying because they ate too much.

Welcome to Earth I guess...

ProfessorMurder
04-26-2014, 07:51 PM
Why is this even a big deal? He's a known racist already.

Good luck finding some shitty loophole or way to get him to sell something he owns.

creepingdeath
04-26-2014, 07:53 PM
He's implying that there's no way to misinterpret Sterling's BS or play the lack-of-context card.

BlackVVaves
04-26-2014, 07:54 PM
Is Julius Sharpe mentally handicapped? :biggums:

Artest has the Mavs winning the title? :roll: :roll:

Edit: Guess Sharpe was being sarcastic :confusedshrug:

SpecialQue
04-26-2014, 07:55 PM
Is Julius Sharpe mentally handicapped? :biggums:

Julius Sharpe is a comedian. It was a joke because everytime something like this comes out someone says their words were "taken out of context." It's sarcasm.

comerb
04-26-2014, 07:57 PM
I thought it was pretty obvious that his whole beef was that he didn't want his girlfriend publicly hanging out with black people. The whole thing revolves around his girlfriend's public persona and how it reflects on him, it doesn't have anything to do with him not wanting black people to come to his games.

Heavincent
04-26-2014, 07:58 PM

What's so funny? The Mavs are up 2-1 on the 1 seed Spurs. It would be 3-0 if the Mavs didn't shit the bed in game 1.

I sense some of that 2011 magic.

16X
04-26-2014, 07:59 PM
ESPN reporter Stephen A. Smith says several members of the L.A. Clippers considered not taking the floor tomorrow against the Golden State Warriors as a protest against team owner Donald Sterling. Smith says several players on the team are FURIOUS after hearing the comments Sterling made to his girlfriend in an audio tape published by TMZ Sports. Its (sic) unclear what will happen tomorrow — but Reverend Jesse Jackson has suggested the team employ a "symbolic expression" to show their disdain and disapproval for Sterling.
Wow, some really unprofessional players on the Cippers :facepalm You're going to talk about not taking the floor for a Playoff game when you're making millions of dollars? That would just be beyond disgusting behaviour from the players, but of course they're just talking out of their asses.

MavsSuperFan
04-26-2014, 08:00 PM
Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 4h

Silver's long-term goal has to be getting DS to sell. But legally there's no real precedent. NBA couldn't get George Shinn to sell either.

I feel bad for silver. He is going to be pressured to achieve a goal, he really cannot hope to achieve in a legal manner. A lot of people will blame him when sterling is still an owner after this. When really there is not much he can do.

He can:
fine, suspend, chastise, scold, force sterling to apologize (even though if sterling refuses, there is not much silver can do), take away a draft pick, but thats about it.

Its up to fans and players to boycott if they want change.

Silver will get blamed unfairly though

oarabbus
04-26-2014, 08:01 PM
I thought it was pretty obvious that his whole beef was that he didn't want his girlfriend publicly hanging out with black people. The whole thing revolves around his girlfriend's public persona and how it reflects on him, it doesn't have anything to do with him not wanting black people to come to his games.

Are you stupid? He EXPLICITLY tells her not to bring black people to the games. Multiple times. :facepalm

Brokenbeat
04-26-2014, 08:02 PM

Lol, better go feed em, otherwise it's your fault. You know, since you're sOo much more aware than the rest of us. :oldlol:

smoovegittar
04-26-2014, 08:03 PM
Some obvious racists up in here. :facepalm

dazzer87
04-26-2014, 08:03 PM
Wow, some really unprofessional players on the Cippers :facepalm You're going to talk about not taking the floor for a Playoff game when you're making millions of dollars? That would just be beyond disgusting behaviour from the players, but of course they're just talking out of their asses.
Nah it will be guys at the end of the bench.......

comerb
04-26-2014, 08:08 PM
Are you stupid? He EXPLICITLY tells her not to bring black people to the games. Multiple times. :facepalm

Yes you mental midget, he's telling HER not to bring black people. He doesn't want HER publicly associating with black people, and bringing a black guest with HER would be doing that. Jesus tits how do you manage to remember to breathe.

If you think Sterling has any qualms with black people paying money for a ticket to the game, you're an idiot. He might be a racist, but he's first and formost a man who will do anything to make a dime.

BlackVVaves
04-26-2014, 08:08 PM
Julius Sharpe is a comedian. It was a joke because everytime something like this comes out someone says their words were "taken out of context." It's sarcasm.

Yeah I realized that after some research :lol

SpecialQue
04-26-2014, 08:38 PM
http://fireofthylove.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/blake-griffin-surprised.gif

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1492623/deandreohmy.gif

oarabbus
04-26-2014, 08:39 PM
Yes you mental midget, he's telling HER not to bring black people. He doesn't want HER publicly associating with black people, and bringing a black guest with HER would be doing that. Jesus tits how do you manage to remember to breathe.

If you think Sterling has any qualms with black people paying money for a ticket to the game, you're an idiot. He might be a racist, but he's first and formost a man who will do anything to make a dime.

You stupid fool, he has a history of this. There was an old, blind black woman who was a tenant in one of his properties, and complained about a broken pipe leaking water everywhere. He was caught saying "kick the bitch out". It's well documented he wanted no Mexicans or Blacks renting or living in his properties. I know you're special ed but shut the **** up when you don't know what you're talking about.

9erempiree
04-26-2014, 08:41 PM
They are all sellouts. Watch them happily play for him because he is paying them.

JohnFreeman
04-26-2014, 08:44 PM
Make him sell, move team to Seattle

Warfan
04-26-2014, 08:45 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Mddk7CwwhbY/Um9uqiX-OZI/AAAAAAAAOh0/ew3DCcen_vU/s1600/Doc-Rivers.gif

isnt a player but whatever

Spaulding
04-26-2014, 08:46 PM
http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/105463659.gif

TheMarkMadsen
04-26-2014, 08:48 PM
Metta tweets read like an Ish post

Rake2204
04-26-2014, 09:05 PM
Metta tweets read like an Ish postHaha. Also, you know you made a wrong turn somewhere when Ron Artest is telling you to seek medical help.

buddha
04-26-2014, 09:07 PM
James Harden weighs in on this sensitive issue

James Harden ✔ @JHarden13
Follow

Weirdo.

kamil
04-26-2014, 09:09 PM
The only thing I can think of that pertains to a suspension is being banned to attend games, practices, show up at team facilities, NBA related events, etc. Basically he can no longer be directly involved with anything related to NBA.

If tape gets authenticated, anybody think a fine of $1M being reasonable?

A permanent ban might force him to sell the team if he can't be a part of it. Would be good for the Clippers organization, the dude is a cheap ass.

I think a 1 million dollar fine would be good... and to add icing to the cake, all the money should go to a black oriented charity organization.

LoPro4u2c
04-26-2014, 09:12 PM
The NBA should fine him $20 million.

oarabbus
04-26-2014, 09:12 PM
The NBA should fine him $20 million.

That'll really show him :rolleyes: a whopping 1% of his net worth

Funnyfuka
04-26-2014, 09:13 PM
donald is right, there are enough black people in the nba.

AnaheimLakers24
04-26-2014, 09:13 PM
he should be put in a cage with ibaka kg nene and wade

yobore
04-26-2014, 09:15 PM
Expecting the Clippers to boycott is ridiculous. What's the goal of such a boycott? "I won't play until Sterling isn't owner"? Noone is supporting Sterling. Everyone wants him out of the picture, usually boycotts are to force knuckledraggers and closet supporters to give up their position out of inconvenience. Here the only thing that the NBA can do is rush to take over his team somehow and open themselves to lawsuits which they will lose if they aren't acting legally.

InfiniteBaskets
04-26-2014, 09:42 PM

I personally wouldn't have an issue if I were a Clippers fan and a player felt like sitting out as some sort of stand against Sterling.

The players are getting paid no matter what. For each game the Clippers keep playing the playoffs, the pockets of Sterling just get fatter. Sterling stands to benefit more than any single player from every game played in LA (and likely in GS as well although I'm not exactly sure how profit-sharing works in the NBA).

The only players that have something meaningful to gain are potentially guys like Blake Griffin and Chris Paul, simply to build their own NBA legacy by maybe winning a ring. But in the process you'd be contributing towards the pockets of a known racist...

Can you imagine Sterling picking out championship rings for his roster and handing them out before a regular season game next year?

gts
04-26-2014, 09:54 PM
Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS 45m
Adam Silver: "All members of the NBA family should be afforded due process." Donald Sterling has agreed not to attend Clippers' next game.

Silver says the NBA and owners have "broad powers" to discipline an owner for misconduct.

Silver: "The core of the investigation is determining whether the tape is authentic."

dude77
04-26-2014, 10:41 PM
Silver says the NBA and owners have "broad powers" to discipline an owner for misconduct.
"

interesting .. maybe suspend for a season or something like that ?

dude77
04-26-2014, 10:45 PM
ahmm .. clippers president says that this piece of shit, worthless whore is being sued by the sterling family for embezzling 1.8 million .. she apparently told him she was going to 'get even' :oldlol: ..

dudes never fkn learn .. you don't trust whores with anything .. fk em, pay em and throw them in the nearest dumpser

dubeta
04-26-2014, 10:46 PM
tbh this situation is being blown so out of proportion. There are probably a couple other owners who feel the same way, but arent stupid enough to disclose it on telephone.

People calling him racist but he he happily gave chris paul a $100M+ contract :facepalm

whats the problem?

Akrazotile
04-26-2014, 10:48 PM
I dont understand how the idea of suspending an owner works.

Suspend him from what? Owning the team? I dont see how the league has that authority.

Suspend him from attending games? Doubt he gives AF.

dude77
04-26-2014, 10:49 PM
tbh this situation is being blown so out of proportion. There are probably a couple other owners who feel the same way, but arent stupid enough to disclose it on telephone.

People calling him racist but he he happily gave chris paul a $100M+ contract :facepalm

whats the problem?

yeah .. and I'm sure there are a lot of black players who look down on white players(or even their white coaches .. hey cp) or black executives that look down on white players or favor black players etc .. this goes around

Done_And_Done
04-26-2014, 10:58 PM
Rapper The Game, is the latest to encourage a fan boycott in what he's entitled the #ESC (empty seat campaign)

As per HipHop Dx

"I have to say that after listening to the full audio clip of Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling making racists comments towards (minorities) specifically African Americans & Hispanics, I am totally outraged & very upset !!! He also went on to say that because Magic Johnson was black he did not want Magic to attend any of the Los Angeles Clippers games. Myself being African American & having a huge Hispanic following... I find myself in a position to defend both my heritage & that of all of the Hispanic community, not only here but around the world.... Whom, both are very supportive of not only the Los Angeles Clippers, but every professional sports franchise in Los Angeles & elsewhere specifically the Los Angeles Dodgers... Whose owner & opposing Los Angeles Lakers great "Earvin Magic Johnson" was both disrespected & racially profiled by the Clippers owner. Not sure on exact numbers but I'm pretty sure Hispanics alone make up at least 65% of ticket buyers for Los Angeles Clippers games as well as merchandising. With that said, it was not only ignorant & racist but a non-calculated & disgusting business move on Donald Sterlings part. In the support of my own race, Hispanics & every other race whose been fighting current & past racism I have now started the #ESCwhich is short for #EMPTYSEATCAMPAIN asking ALL Los Angeles residents to boycott the next Clippers game by not attending which will prove that we are more of a MAJORITY than the previously stated "minority" label given to us by Mr. Sterling. Although I feel for friends of mine that play for the Clippers franchise such as @CP3 whose own team owner considers a minority...... I now, along with good friend & designer @ceoselfmade ask everyone who reads this WORLDWIDE to RE-POST this picture & hashtag:#BoycottClippers #ESC #EmptySeatCampaign#Support #OGMagicJohnson #StopRacism

#OneWorld#WeAreAMajority.”

dazzer87
04-26-2014, 10:59 PM
Who cares what The Game thinks.....:facepalm

gts
04-26-2014, 11:01 PM
I dont understand how the idea of suspending an owner works.

Suspend him from what? Owning the team? I dont see how the league has that authority.

Suspend him from attending games? Doubt he gives AF.

It's in the NBA constitution bylaws.. they can fine owners, suspend owners and force the sale of a team as in the most recent case where they forced the Maloof's out of Sacramento and even dictated who they would sell the team to.

I can't imagine them forcing a sale but a massive fine and a one or two year suspension could take place.. MLB suspended Schott twice, once for a year and once for two

Done_And_Done
04-26-2014, 11:08 PM
Who cares what The Game thinks.....:facepalm

Just posting what I read. Take it for what it is.

Akrazotile
04-26-2014, 11:15 PM
Rapper The Game, is the latest to encourage a fan boycott in what he's entitled the #ESC (empty seat campaign)

As per HipHop Dx

lol the gaym

Akrazotile
04-26-2014, 11:16 PM
It's in the NBA constitution bylaws.. they can fine owners, suspend owners and force the sale of a team as in the most recent case where they forced the Maloof's out of Sacramento and even dictated who they would sell the team to.

I can't imagine them forcing a sale but a massive fine and a one or two year suspension could take place.. MLB suspended Schott twice, once for a year and once for two

But what does it mean to "suspend" an owner?

He can't go to games? He can't earn money from his franchise? He can't have contact with team officials? He can't wear clipper gear in public?

I'm just curious how suspending the owner works exactly.

Done_And_Done
04-26-2014, 11:20 PM
lol the gaym

lol @ the duplicate gaym's

16X
04-26-2014, 11:36 PM
I personally wouldn't have an issue if I were a Clippers fan and a player felt like sitting out as some sort of stand against Sterling.

The players are getting paid no matter what. For each game the Clippers keep playing the playoffs, the pockets of Sterling just get fatter. Sterling stands to benefit more than any single player from every game played in LA (and likely in GS as well although I'm not exactly sure how profit-sharing works in the NBA).

The only players that have something meaningful to gain are potentially guys like Blake Griffin and Chris Paul, simply to build their own NBA legacy by maybe winning a ring. But in the process you'd be contributing towards the pockets of a known racist...

Can you imagine Sterling picking out championship rings for his roster and handing them out before a regular season game next year?
:coleman:

If you were a Clippers fan, you would be fine with them forfeiting the series because hey, at least the players still get to collect their paycheques? Yes, the fans have been waiting for their team to get good for years and years, all the while knowing Sterling is a huge racist, but now that the team is finally good I'm sure the fans would just love for the players to lay down and forfeit like little bitches. Please tell me you're trolling dude.

Vienceslav
04-26-2014, 11:57 PM
How are people who cover the sport surprised by this is beyond me.
It always gets mentioned whenever somebody brings up Sterling, in the same way people say 'Dr. Jerry Buss - the greatest owner ever', they always say 'Donald Sterling - a racist'.:lol

InfiniteBaskets
04-27-2014, 12:29 AM
:coleman:

If you were a Clippers fan, you would be fine with them forfeiting the series because hey, at least the players still get to collect their paycheques? Yes, the fans have been waiting for their team to get good for years and years, all the while knowing Sterling is a huge racist, but now that the team is finally good I'm sure the fans would just love for the players to lay down and forfeit like little bitches. Please tell me you're trolling dude.

Of course I'd be upset if I were a fan, but I would understand. Think about it from a black player's perspective. You're essentially stuck between a rock and a hard place. You are voluntarily working for a man who is clearly racist against your kind - and putting money in his wallet. If this were literally ANY industry you can simply quit if your boss is a clear racist against you. Even if you were a contract worker, you can walk out and pay back whatever the contract deems you owe.

But they know if they were to quit their jobs here it would look like them quitting on their fans and not so much on Sterling. So again, yeah I would be upset but it's not like i wouldn't understand.

KOBEisBaawlliin!
04-27-2014, 12:36 AM
clipper darrell thing was already a sign. consider that team dismantled after this season is over :lol if doc and the players had sense its still about what they stand for as black men not just money.

Derka
04-27-2014, 12:39 AM
My reaction is...we already knew Sterling hates pretty much any minority that isn't making him money.

ImKobe
04-27-2014, 12:48 AM
Hope CP0 enjoys playing for that POS of an owner for the remainder of his prime.

Draz
04-27-2014, 01:03 AM
Hope CP0 enjoys playing for that POS of an owner for the remainder of his prime.
:cheers: