PDA

View Full Version : How about Dallas?

OmniStrife
04-28-2014, 02:55 AM
Could Dirkules, Ellis and even a remotivated VC go on to another miraculous run?

You know it defines the odds and unthinkable.
But so were their odds of beating SA in the 1st round...

If they do beat SA, I see Dirkules and their buddies working wonders on their way to the Finals.

This year, more than ever before we see what it takes to win games in the Playoffs...
It's not record, HCA, experience, number of all-stars... but only HEART and GUTS matter.

I see you Dallas.
Make my Suns' missing the playoffs worthwhile! :cheers:

BlazerRed
04-28-2014, 03:00 AM
I think the SPURS MAKE a comeback and win this one

Myth
04-28-2014, 03:01 AM
This will be a rare series where I will be rooting against the Spurs. I'd rather the Blazers take on Mavs in the 2nd than Spurs.

Marlo_Stanfield
04-28-2014, 03:01 AM
if they get through they will play portland.
that is a very winnable series for the mavs.
dirk and Dalembert can take turns in guarding LMA and Wright can bother him with his lenght.
since LMa isnt exactly a banger he will probably settle for jumpers.
Lilalrd will be a problem but harris and marion can maybe slow him down a bit.
dallas has a legitimate chance of making the WCF or even finals if they beat spurs. if Dirk wakes up too:eek:

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
04-28-2014, 03:07 AM
Dirks not in his prime anymore so no
the Mavs like every year of his career will only go as far as he takes em and he just doesnt have the gas, clutch or production he used to have

Harison
04-28-2014, 04:45 AM

This. Never underestimate the heart of the champions. (ok ok, both teams are champions, but you know what I mean :D)

Real14
04-28-2014, 05:08 AM
This will be a rare series where I will be rooting against the Spurs. I'd rather the Blazers take on Mavs in the 2nd than Spurs.
Be careful what you wish for bro:no:

Ball So Harden
04-28-2014, 05:14 AM
Makes me sad that Dallas could be the matchup for Rockets if Rockets didn't have McHail.

PickernRoller
04-28-2014, 05:35 AM
I wouldn't mind a repeat of 2011. Slay all the evils in our conference (Spurs, Rockets, OKC) and guarantee that evil in the East (Heat) stay dormant.

Dream scenario for any hardcore Laker fan.

Marlo_Stanfield
04-28-2014, 05:37 AM
Makes me sad that Dallas could be the matchup for Rockets if Rockets didn't have Harden
yeah

Yankstar
04-28-2014, 06:18 AM
Dirk vs LeBron. I want to see finals LeBron again so I approve this match up. 4th quarter LeBron that series is why he will never be top 10:no:

Bandito
04-28-2014, 06:26 AM
I wouldn't mind a repeat of 2011. Slay all the evils in our conference (Spurs, Rockets, OKC) and guarantee that evil in the East (Heat) stay dormant.

a adream scenario for every Lakers fan is Kobe reemergence to the finals and beating the heat with the Lakers new team in a couple of years.

BoutPractice
04-28-2014, 06:36 AM
Fingers crossed. If they beat SA, anything is possible.

But I don't know yet. In 2011 you could really feel it, from the beginning of the regular season... there was a different atmosphere around the team. They were on a mission, they weren't going to settle for anything less than the championship. This sense of purpose permeated the whole team. Every player had something to prove... All those crazy comebacks certainly weren't just "luck", they made them happen as a group. Does this current Mavs team have it in them, do they truly believe they can make it all the way? I don't know yet. The team functions remarkably well as a group, but Dirk is on the decline (he can still shoot it but he's less of a playmaker, plays more like a cog in the offense, and physically he won't be able to run/rebound like he used to), their defense is vulnerable, etc. But we'll see. Again, if they beat the team with the best record in the league, they'll get a lot of momentum and confidence... then Portland is a decent matchup for them (it would be very tough but they wouldn't be put at a disadvantage on paper like they would against other teams), and depending on the other upsets, they might draw say the Grizzlies and get the better of them due to superior offense, or outsmart/exploit the Warriors' youth, inexperience.

ShackEelOKneel
04-28-2014, 06:44 AM
Could Dirkules, Ellis and even a remotivated VC go on to another miraculous run?

:

By run, do you mean 2011 style? If so, no. They can steal a series or 2, but they aren't making it to the Finals.

andremiller07
04-28-2014, 06:54 AM
When Sam is engaged in the game the Mavs are a force, but he needs to be more consistant.

Draz
04-28-2014, 07:32 AM
I love to read dirk win another ring.

miles berg
04-28-2014, 07:33 AM
Fingers crossed. If they beat SA, anything is possible.

But I don't know yet. In 2011 you could really feel it, from the beginning of the regular season... there was a different atmosphere around the team. They were on a mission, they weren't going to settle for anything less than the championship. This sense of purpose permeated the whole team. Every player had something to prove... All those crazy comebacks certainly weren't just "luck", they made them happen as a group. Does this current Mavs team have it in them, do they truly believe they can make it all the way? I don't know yet. The team functions remarkably well as a group, but Dirk is on the decline (he can still shoot it but he's less of a playmaker, plays more like a cog in the offense, and physically he won't be able to run/rebound like he used to), their defense is vulnerable, etc. But we'll see. Again, if they beat the team with the best record in the league, they'll get a lot of momentum and confidence... then Portland is a decent matchup for them (it would be very tough but they wouldn't be put at a disadvantage on paper like they would against other teams), and depending on the other upsets, they might draw say the Grizzlies and get the better of them due to superior offense, or outsmart/exploit the Warriors' youth, inexperience.

I couldn't feel it. No one here or DallasBasketball.com felt it. All season people were calling for Carlisle's firing for overplaying Barea. All that seaso people were pushing to limit Jets minutes to a certain number (1500 or less) because in his contract was a clause that said if he played 1500 or less minutes that half of his 2011/12 contract would be ungauranteed and he could now become another Dampier style trade chip.

When Caron Butler went down for the year most Mavs fans figured that was it.

Wasn't the rosy picture that you are painting at all.

JUDGE WITNESS
04-28-2014, 07:35 AM
no way the mavs can have a 2011-esque run again

USABall
04-28-2014, 07:36 AM

How does OKC fit the 'evil' image? They refused to sign somebody to conserve money. Their brightest star looks like he loves playing in a small market, and Westbrook plays the with most passion imaginable.

Marlo_Stanfield
04-28-2014, 07:44 AM
people need to understand that the Mavs are up 2-1 with dirk playing like complete horse puke.
i expect him to wake up very soon and if that happens the Spurs are fcked:applause: :applause:

Bodhi
04-28-2014, 08:12 AM
How does OKC fit the 'evil' image? They refused to sign somebody to conserve money. Their brightest star looks like he loves playing in a small market, and Westbrook plays the with most passion imaginable.
Stole a team from Seattle

BoutPractice
04-28-2014, 09:48 AM
I couldn't feel it. No one here or DallasBasketball.com felt it. All season people were calling for Carlisle's firing for overplaying Barea. All that seaso people were pushing to limit Jets minutes to a certain number (1500 or less) because in his contract was a clause that said if he played 1500 or less minutes that half of his 2011/12 contract would be ungauranteed and he could now become another Dampier style trade chip.

When Caron Butler went down for the year most Mavs fans figured that was it.

Wasn't the rosy picture that you are painting at all.
If I can share my experience as a fan... That year, I had a feeling something was going to happen, that they would either surprise everyone or completely implode... more specifically, the feeling that if they lost in the first round AGAIN, that would be the end of all championship expectations during the Dirk era. They had a lot of pressure. Jet's ridiculous tattoo also contributed to that feeling of pressure.

But you're right, it wasn't as if from the beginning, I could smell the championship. I had real hopes, of course, but I also had hopes in 2010.

When Chandler was signed, I thought he would make a difference (he'd just been through a horrendous season with Charlotte, but because it was Charlotte I didn't put too much stock into it, same thing with Diaw when he joined the Spurs) but not to that extent. At any rate he had to be better than Erick Dampier and Brendan Haywood, two players who had the amazing distinction of being both seen as jokes by most and still overrated.

When I really started believing was when they got off to a spectacular start in the regular season. They were on pace, if I recall, to have the best record in the league or close before Dirk went down, and I thought they looked really good as a group. They looked the part of a championship team, and at that moment I actually remember talking to people about a potential Heat-Mavs rematch (everyone thought I was crazy, the consensus pick at the time was the Lakers). I've never had moments during this season where I was similarly impressed with the Mavs. Then Dirk went down, then Caron, and a lot of fans had their hopes dashed at that moment... I started doubting too. I then had that ominous "oh no, not again" feeling when the Mavs choked away game 3 of round 1, but after they came back from that loss I knew they were going to have that kind of run. It may be weird, but that's how it happened, I was truly convinced from game 4 on. This time I'm more skeptical.

I don't claim any kind of prescience, of course, playoffs are always surprising, and my picks have been wrong more often than not. Let's just say I would be much more surprised with the Mavs making a run this year than I was in 2011.

Derka
04-28-2014, 09:51 AM
Wouldn't put it past them.

Can't count the number of people I've talked to who were like "Wait, Dallas is up 2-1 on the Spurs?!" Perfect time to get in there and shake things up.

DirkNowitzki41
04-28-2014, 01:18 PM

Hardly a comeback. Its 2-1, not 2-0. Spurs win tonight, and just like that Dallas has their backs against the wall..

Anyways, if Dallas advances, I see them in the WCF.

ArbitraryWater
04-28-2014, 02:10 PM
FINALS PUSH :bowdown: I'm promising!!!

Blazers/Rockets aint gonna stop us for shit. Neither will Grizzlies/Warriors/Clips

ArbitraryWater
04-28-2014, 02:12 PM
If I can share my experience as a fan... That year, I had a feeling something was going to happen, that they would either surprise everyone or completely implode... more specifically, the feeling that if they lost in the first round AGAIN, that would be the end of all championship expectations during the Dirk era. They had a lot of pressure. Jet's ridiculous tattoo also contributed to that feeling of pressure.

But you're right, it wasn't as if from the beginning, I could smell the championship. I had real hopes, of course, but I also had hopes in 2010.

When Chandler was signed, I thought he would make a difference (he'd just been through a horrendous season with Charlotte, but because it was Charlotte I didn't put too much stock into it, same thing with Diaw when he joined the Spurs) but not to that extent. At any rate he had to be better than Erick Dampier and Brendan Haywood, two players who had the amazing distinction of being both seen as jokes by most and still overrated.

When I really started believing was when they got off to a spectacular start in the regular season. They were on pace, if I recall, to have the best record in the league or close before Dirk went down, and I thought they looked really good as a group. They looked the part of a championship team, and at that moment I actually remember talking to people about a potential Heat-Mavs rematch (everyone thought I was crazy, the consensus pick at the time was the Lakers). I've never had moments during this season where I was similarly impressed with the Mavs. Then Dirk went down, then Caron, and a lot of fans had their hopes dashed at that moment... I started doubting too. I then had that ominous "oh no, not again" feeling when the Mavs choked away game 3 of round 1, but after they came back from that loss I knew they were going to have that kind of run. It may be weird, but that's how it happened, I was truly convinced from game 4 on. This time I'm more skeptical.

I don't claim any kind of prescience, of course, playoffs are always surprising, and my picks have been wrong more often than not. Let's just say I would be much more surprised with the Mavs making a run this year than I was in 2011.

During the Playoffs, that Summer was godly. It was quite the amazing "now or never" feeling I remember that... oh did those whoopings of the Lakers, Road Comebacks against the Thunder and Clutch Victories against the Heat feel good :banana:

And yea, would def be more surprised this year...

BoutPractice
04-28-2014, 02:20 PM
Another reason I don't really see it in spite of my hopes: if the 2014 Mavs won the title, they'd be the second worst defense of all time by opp PTS/G (behind, funnily enough the 2001 Lakers) and the worst by DRTG (there the 2001 Lakers are second) to accomplish that feat.

While much has been made of Miami's defensive regression this season, their winning the title this year would not be historically unprecedented if you take into account the number of teams in the NBA in any given year.

pastis
04-28-2014, 02:44 PM
unfortunataly i don't think the mavs will win the series. spurs are too cold blooded to lose 4 games against the mavs, but i think all games could be close. dirk must show up, bu damn pop is doing everything to prevent dirk from getting the ball. dirk looks extremly exhausted in all games, very shaky and not very confident. hopefully he can show up the next games:applause: :applause:

Marlo_Stanfield
04-28-2014, 02:48 PM
During the Playoffs, that Summer was godly. It was quite the amazing "now or never" feeling I remember that... oh did those whoopings of the Lakers, Road Comebacks against the Thunder and Clutch Victories against the Heat feel good :banana:

And yea, would def be more surprised this year...
i watched those series at a friends house because he had a sick ass TV one could connect with a PC:roll: :roll:
he didnt know shit about bball but he was excited as fuq. thats how good some of the games were. i remember him saying after Dallas game 2 comeback:" why is no one ever watching this Sport?? this is hella epic":applause: :applause:

DMAVS41
04-28-2014, 02:54 PM
unfortunataly i don't think the mavs will win the series. spurs are too cold blooded to lose 4 games against the mavs, but i think all games could be close. dirk must show up, bu damn pop is doing everything to prevent dirk from getting the ball. dirk looks extremly exhausted in all games, very shaky and not very confident. hopefully he can show up the next games:applause: :applause:

I can't imagine the Spurs continuing to defend Dirk and the Mavs the same way. It's been a horrible strategy of "hope they miss wide open jumpers" on the guards and it hasn't worked at all outside the last 6 minutes of game 1.

If they continue to guard the pick and roll like that...Dirk will not be able to have a big series. It's going to be more of 12 to 13 shots or so unless it becomes a blowout and loose game like it was in game 2.

As a Mavs fan...I'm hoping they don't change. Just think it's a terrible strategy. They actually have 4 guys that can defend Dirk at times. 2 that defend him really well in Diaw and Splitter.

I think Pop has been too afraid of Dirk and not respectful enough of Ellis/Calderon/Harris in the series so far.

As for Dirk looking tired. Of course he is...he's playing 39 mpg (most on the team) and his time on the floor consists of Splitter playing him very physically all over the court and in the post, him setting like 5 screens a possession, and then having to defend the pick and roll and recover weak side to help rebound after that. He's working his ass off defensively...sometimes with good results...sometimes with poor results.

But I must say...it's funny that I've heard people claim Dirk is hurting us on defense. Just no...he's out there busting his ass constantly and we've defended the Spurs very well so far...and again...he's playing the most minutes on the team...for a reason. And that reason is simple...we are better with him, considerably better, on the floor.

We are outscoring the Spurs by 7.8 points per 100 when Dirk is out there...and getting outscored by .3 points when he's off. And it's due to defense....as our offense has been great without Dirk...probably due to Duncan/Splitter usually going out when Dirk leaves the court. A note on this...when Splitter is out there...the Spurs have a 98 drtg...when he leaves...they have a 132 drtg...WOW!

We'll see what happens tonight...

pastis
04-28-2014, 03:03 PM
I can't imagine the Spurs continuing to defend Dirk and the Mavs the same way. It's been a horrible strategy of "hope they miss wide open jumpers" on the guards and it hasn't worked at all outside the last 6 minutes of game 1.

If they continue to guard the pick and roll like that...Dirk will not be able to have a big series. It's going to be more of 12 to 13 shots or so unless it becomes a blowout and loose game like it was in game 2.

As a Mavs fan...I'm hoping they don't change. Just think it's a terrible strategy. They actually have 4 guys that can defend Dirk at times. 2 that defend him really well in Diaw and Splitter.

I think Pop has been too afraid of Dirk and not respectful enough of Ellis/Calderon/Harris in the series so far.

As for Dirk looking tired. Of course he is...he's playing 39 mpg (most on the team) and his time on the floor consists of Splitter playing him very physically all over the court and in the post, him setting like 5 screens a possession, and then having to defend the pick and roll and recover weak side to help rebound after that. He's working his ass off defensively...sometimes with good results...sometimes with poor results.

But I must say...it's funny that I've heard people claim Dirk is hurting us on defense. Just no...he's out there busting his ass constantly and we've defended the Spurs very well so far...and again...he's playing the most minutes on the team...for a reason. And that reason is simple...we are better with him, considerably better, on the floor.

We are outscoring the Spurs by 7.8 points per 100 when Dirk is out there...and getting outscored by .3 points when he's off. And it's due to defense....as our offense has been great without Dirk...probably due to Duncan/Splitter usually going out when Dirk leaves the court.

We'll see what happens tonight...

ja, splitter is such a good matchup against dirk. there aren't many good defenders out there able to defend dirk that way. drk is deadly from midrange, but that they even defending him so tough at the 3point line wasn't expected. i mean he shot 2 3point atempt the whole seriens, but shot 4 a game in the regular season. especially the fast break 3 pointer, where dirk was ****ing deadly is defended ver well. splitter is waiting only for dirk at the middle of the court for preventing him to take the 3.

SCdac
04-28-2014, 03:03 PM
best moments for me in 2011, outside of seeing Kidd and Dirk get a ring, was watching Marion and Stevenson punk the best player in the game

http://www.portlandmercury.com/binary/2325/1307721580-marionbeat2.gif

http://nsa28.casimages.com/img/2011/07/09/110709080940836487.gif

http://media.naplesnews.com/media/img/photos/2011/06/07/APTOPIXNBAFinalsHeatMavericksBasketball_t607.jpg

DMAVS41
04-28-2014, 03:08 PM
ja, splitter is such a good matchup against dirk. there aren't many good defenders out there able to defend dirk that way. drk is deadly from midrange, but that they even defending him so tough at the 3point line wasn't expected. i mean he shot 2 3point atempt the whole seriens, but shot 4 a game in the regular season. especially the fast break 3 pointer, where dirk was ****ing deadly is defended ver well. splitter is waiting for only for dirk at the middle of the court for preventing him to take the 3.

yes, but that is my point. the Spurs are giving up wide open 17 footers to our guards in order to prevent those threes from Dirk.

they also aren't losing him in transition or on any secondary fast breaks either...regardless of help concerns.

they are doing a masterful job at making Dirk work for everything and Pop has been doing this for a few years now as Dirk has slowed down a bit and can't create offense on his own consistently....especially against a rotation of Splitter/Diaw/Duncan/Leonard.

So it's great for slowing down Dirk...although Dirk has missed some easy shots that had nothing to do with defense. I'm not sure it's great for stopping the Mavs as a team.

Anyway, this is such a fascinating series...so glad it's against the Spurs as well so I won't be crushed if we lost like if it were to the Rockets or some team I hate.

DMAVS41
04-28-2014, 03:09 PM
best moments for me in 2011, outside of seeing Kidd and Dirk get a ring, was watching Marion and Stevenson punk the best player in the game

http://www.portlandmercury.com/binary/2325/1307721580-marionbeat2.gif

http://nsa28.casimages.com/img/2011/07/09/110709080940836487.gif

http://media.naplesnews.com/media/img/photos/2011/06/07/APTOPIXNBAFinalsHeatMavericksBasketball_t607.jpg

When Marion called Lebron a "bitch"...it probably was my favorite moment of the 11 season.

Marlo_Stanfield
04-28-2014, 03:13 PM
When Marion called Lebron a "bitch"...it probably was my favorite moment of the 11 season.
hater:coleman: :coleman:

DMAVS41
04-28-2014, 03:15 PM
hater:coleman: :coleman:

Hahah. Come on...I like Lebron. Defended him for years on here, but that was just so amazing...

Dude got punked by Marion/Stevenson/Terry in the NBA finals...

pastis
04-28-2014, 03:18 PM
although Dirk has missed some easy shots that had nothing to do with defense. I'm not sure it's great for stopping the Mavs as a team.

yes, its exactly the fact that dirk didn't hit the few open looks that make me so suprised... for me he looked totally exhausted and SHAKY, a thing that i have never seen from dirk in big games. nevertheless go big german:bowdown: :bowdown: :applause: :applause:

i mean 2007 against golden state.... his father had at that time a very important operation...for me it explains for big parts dirks "choking". but no one seem to know this and dirk is brandmarked with the choking job:facepalm :facepalm

DMAVS41
04-28-2014, 03:26 PM
yes, its exactly the fact that dirk didn't hit the few open looks that make me so suprised... for me he looked totally exhausted and SHAKY, a thing that i have never seen from dirk in big games. nevertheless go big german:bowdown: :bowdown: :applause: :applause:

i mean 2007 against golden state.... his father had at that time a very important operation...for me it explains for big parts dirks "choking". but no one seem to know this and dirk is brandmarked with the choking job:facepalm :facepalm

To me...missed shots happen.

He was in a mini shooting slump to start the series. He went 4 of 20...and of those 16 misses...there were 5 wide open jumpers, 2 layups, and a wide open 3. So at least 8 were good shots. Meh...just happens unfortunately when you shoot jumpers. The reason why it matters more now for Dirk is because he can't attack the rim or get to the ft line like he used to. That is the big difference.

Honestly, a 4 of 20 stretch just isn't that uncommon...especially going against a team doing everything to try and slow down Dirk. Having said that though...Dirk is 14 of 26 shooting after the 4 of 20 start.

I would replace "shaky"...with exhausted. Splitter is beating him up and playing great defense overall. He's fouling him to no call sometimes, but have to give Splitter credit...he's doing a great job.

So he's beating Dirk up and then Dirk has to set screens every possession and roll or pop...then on defense he has to guard the post, pick and roll, and defensive rebound...and he's playing 39 mpg after a long season.

Just tired...worn down. Dirk's ft shooting dropped to 87% iirc after the all-star break after shooting 91% before that. It's just a case of tired legs...it's what happens when you reach this age.

~primetime~
04-28-2014, 03:29 PM
Normally I would say that Dallas winning a ring in this situation is impossible but that is what I said in 2011

It's really just all about getting HOT in the playoffs...if they can get hot then watch out

~primetime~
04-28-2014, 03:31 PM
http://blogimages.thescore.com/tbj/files/2011/06/deshawn-stevenson-shirt2.jpg

love me some Stevenson

Marlo_Stanfield
04-28-2014, 03:32 PM
Hahah. Come on...I like Lebron. Defended him for years on here, but that was just so amazing...

Dude got punked by Marion/Stevenson/Terry in the NBA finals...
what should he do, lay out Marions ass?? that would have been the ultimate meltdown.
and no he wasnt punked by marion, he was punked by the best defensive gameplan i have ever seen and a top 10 coach off all time in carlisle as well as his choking and inability to tell wade to give him the ball:coleman:
heres hoping mavs decide the series tonight:cheers: :cheers: