PDA

View Full Version : NY TIMES- Given Cause to Make a Stand, Clippers settle 4 gesture

SacJB Shady
04-28-2014, 06:14 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/28/sports/basketball/given-cause-to-make-a-stand-the-clippers-settle-for-a-gesture.html?_r=0
Continue reading the main story Share This Page

Given Cause to Make a Stand, the Clippers Settle for a Gesture

APRIL 27, 2014

Sports of The Times

By MICHAEL POWELL

Why not remain seated?

The Los Angeles Clippers players faced a near-impossible situation Sunday. The man who owns their team, Donald Sterling, stood exposed as a gargoyle, disgorging racial and sexual animosities so atavistic as to take the breath away.

The exposure of these rants rattled N.B.A. athletes. LeBron James, the best hoops practitioner on earth, spoke out quickly and emphatically.

oarabbus
04-28-2014, 06:18 AM
I gotta say, though, it's easy for Kobe, Magic, Jalen Rose, all these guys who aren't collecting their paychecks from Sterling, to say they wouldn't play for him.

That's not to say ANYTHING negative about the Clips players (I strongly dislike several of them, but for different reasons like flopping) and I don't blame them one bit. People in this forum acting like they should be Gandhi and give up their paychecks. Yeah ****ing right, welcome to the real world people.

Ball So Harden
04-28-2014, 06:22 AM
As I said before, this reminds me of black people with decent jobs during the civil rights movements that didn't get involved. It is perfectly fine to do your job and try to improve your own individual lives, but they aren't doing anything about the situation to improve the big picture.

BlazerRed
04-28-2014, 06:36 AM
DA **** DID I JUST READ?!!!:biggums: :biggums: :biggums: just kidding I only read some of it LOL

andremiller07
04-28-2014, 06:56 AM
That thing the Clippers did at mid court was one of the gay-est things I've ever seen.

ShackEelOKneel
04-28-2014, 07:29 AM
That thing the Clippers did at mid court was one of the gay-est things I've ever seen.

:coleman:

SacJB Shady
04-28-2014, 07:49 AM
People in this forum acting like they should be Gandhi and give up their paychecks. Yeah ****ing right, welcome to the real world people.

The real world? They will continue to make the owner 3 million each game while he sits on his fat ass. that's the real world.

SacJB Shady
04-28-2014, 07:49 AM
As I said before, this reminds me of black people with decent jobs during the civil rights movements that didn't get involved. It is perfectly fine to do your job and try to improve your own individual lives, but they aren't doing anything about the situation to improve the big picture.

Exactly. It was some weak shit.

3LiftHeatCurse
04-28-2014, 07:53 AM

The Clippers want to win a championship.

bagelred
04-28-2014, 08:31 AM
Basically agree. The stand was turning jerseys inside out. lol. ok....don't risk not getting a paycheck...

icewill36
04-28-2014, 09:00 AM
its not about not getting a fvcking paycheck. this came up out of nowhere in the middle of a playoff series. so they are so supposed to just throw this season away when they have worked their ass off all year to be in this position ?

its ridiculous the way some of you think

Ball So Harden
04-28-2014, 09:05 AM
The Clippers want to win a championship.

And as I said, that is perfectly fine. Let's just not fool ourselves into thinking their pre-game protest is doing anything.

RoundMoundOfReb
04-28-2014, 09:22 AM
Either play or don't play. Don't do these half-ass gestures.

Derka
04-28-2014, 09:37 AM
Basically, f*ck every writer who suggests the Clips players didn't do enough or "take a real stand." Expecting them not to play is real easy when you're not the one putting your livelihood at risk. Its easy when you're not one of the guys who busted his ass all summer and through the regular season to put yourselves in a place to compete for your sport's highest honor.

Also, Jalen Rose can suck my left one. F*ck him. I don't believe his lying ass for one second...no way that boy sits out of a potential championship run unless he's broken or dead.

They've earned the right to compete now...and there will be a time and a place for these guys to make a stand in the near future.

MavsPoke
04-28-2014, 09:42 AM
Some of these writers are acting like they just found out Donald Sterling is a racist.

houston
04-28-2014, 09:45 AM
they did enough

Akrazotile
04-28-2014, 09:54 AM
Some of these writers are acting like they just found out Donald Sterling is a racist.

Everyone knew. And we all accepted it as having nothing to do with the game we enjoy on the court.

But now the "I'M PC, LOOK AT ME" crowd is getting a chance to get their soapbox out of the closet and start throwin rocks from it, of course theyre gonna take it. They always take it. Its their "go-to move" as we like to say.

guy
04-28-2014, 10:05 AM
Article makes a good point about the Warriors that I didn't think about. The Clippers AND the Warriors could've boycotted the game, which would've really raised the issue without having the Clippers players/coaches have to give up anything for their series. And the Warriors would've had every right to. This isn't just a Clipper issue. It would've sent a huge message to owners around the league that they need to get rid of this guy.

fpliii
04-28-2014, 10:09 AM
Article makes a good point about the Warriors that I didn't think about. The Clippers AND the Warriors could've boycotted the game, which would've really raised the issue. And the Warriors would've had every right to. This isn't just a Clipper issue. It would've sent a huge message to owners around the league that they need to get rid of this guy.
Agree 100%.

CrazyLond
04-28-2014, 10:29 AM
Sacrificing a chance to win an NBA championship and the money associated with completing this playoff run is nothing compared to the violence black people suffered in the 1960s standing up against racism. Taking a real stand usually involves personal risk, but that is why it is so powerful.

It is fine that the Clippers think the money and winning a championship is more important than making a statement. Most people would do the same thing. It would take a rare and brave person to do otherwise.

But it is hypocritical for them to do their demonstration before the game but then still play and make Sterling money. No reaction at all would have been better than what they did.

DwnShft2Xcelr8
04-28-2014, 11:07 AM
I'm one of those guys who felt like the Clippers should've made a stronger stand. They didn't necessarily have to forfeit the game, but I think they could have and should have all come together and spoken out in the media. I don't know.. Just something-- almost anything-- other than dropping their warm-ups at half-court.
Hell, forfeiting the game would've made a huge stand. It probably would have made history books in the future. It would have been as close to Muhammad Ali's rejection of joining the military as anything will likely get in our lifetimes in sports. Clippers players blew a huge opportunity.

fpliii
04-28-2014, 11:15 AM
I'm one of those guys who felt like the Clippers should've made a stronger stand. They didn't necessarily have to forfeit the game, but I think they could have and should have all come together and spoken out in the media. I don't know.. Just something-- almost anything-- other than dropping their warm-ups at half-court.
Hell, forfeiting the game would've made a huge stand. It probably would have made history books in the future. It would have been as close to Muhammad Ali's rejection of joining the military as anything will likely get in our lifetimes in sports. Clippers players blew a huge opportunity.
I'm incredibly disappointed in the Warriors too. Both teams should've refused to play, so there would've been no disadvantage to the Clippers players. Definitely would be opposed to a forfeiture.

Darius
04-28-2014, 11:17 AM
Warriors could have easily not played to protest too.

AlphaWolf24
04-28-2014, 11:59 AM
Every team/player could sit out and not play until DS agrees to sell the team and sign an agreement to never step foot inside the staple center again.

instead of some simple turn our practice shirt inside out...

- B!tch moves by all the players IMO.

- Just like Salomon Northrup only stepping up when it suited his needs...everyone that is emplyed by the NBA needs to check themselves.

- then again I aint a Pro player and never walked in their 2,000$ shoes with matching murses

Flash31
04-28-2014, 12:28 PM
Warriors could have easily not played to protest too.

Neither the LAC or GS could forfeit the game or take a stand and Not play or half ass it.

It's not just bc of the tv rights,broadcasting but it's also bc of the fans.

Fans paid hundreds of dollars to come watch a highly exciting great po series between gs and lac and if players choose to forfeit or not play theyll piss off the fans regardless if they give refunds or not.

And playing with inside out shirts or uniforms without LAC logo could get them fined heavily,Suspended and sued.

If the league allows the players to do anything to disrupt the game or wear anything else it sets a precedence for others to do so as well for whatever else issue they have---dont like the coach,take a stand
---dont like fo,take a stand-----dont want to play for that team anymore,take a stand

Basically,aside from off court demonstrations,makic a public speach,making a pa announcement,anything on court will have to be banned.

If public pressure and media and players can get DS out of LaC
imagine what will happen to some owners who have run the team to the ground and hAve been incompetent for decades and actually Horrible running the team
like NY,MIL,Atl,MIN,DET

The owners will not allow it to happen as a whole on court.

TheMan
04-28-2014, 12:51 PM
This

NoGunzJustSkillz
04-28-2014, 12:53 PM
Neither the LAC or GS could forfeit the game or take a stand and Not play or half ass it.

It's not just bc of the tv rights,broadcasting but it's also bc of the fans.

Fans paid hundreds of dollars to come watch a highly exciting great po series between gs and lac and if players choose to forfeit or not play theyll piss off the fans regardless if they give refunds or not.

And playing with inside out shirts or uniforms without LAC logo could get them fined heavily,Suspended and sued.

If the league allows the players to do anything to disrupt the game or wear anything else it sets a precedence for others to do so as well for whatever else issue they have---dont like the coach,take a stand
---dont like fo,take a stand-----dont want to play for that team anymore,take a stand

Basically,aside from off court demonstrations,makic a public speach,making a pa announcement,anything on court will have to be banned.

If public pressure and media and players can get DS out of LaC
imagine what will happen to some owners who have run the team to the ground and hAve been incompetent for decades and actually Horrible running the team
like NY,MIL,Atl,MIN,DET

The owners will not allow it to happen as a whole on court.
Players can make a deal with Silver before hand. WE either sit the game out or wear our jerseys inside out w/ no repercussions.

TheMarkMadsen
04-28-2014, 01:08 PM
OP format that shit :facepalm

Derka
04-28-2014, 01:13 PM
Players can make a deal with Silver before hand. WE either sit the game out or wear our jerseys inside out w/ no repercussions.

Or...Silver tells them outright "Put your uniforms on and play the game like the professionals you're supposed to be for these 18,000 people who get paid good money to come see the game...or I fine the bejesus out of every single one of you and suspend your team from the playoffs." He'd be well within his rights to do it, too.

Chris Paul is the head of the NBAPA. Silver was at that game. You're crazy if you don't think he, Doc and Silver had a conversation that went just like this before the Clips took the floor.

AnaheimLakers24
04-28-2014, 02:47 PM
they must feel like assholes now with no dignity. HOW EMBARRASSING

Threethrows
04-28-2014, 03:48 PM
Can't believe people expected the Clippers to just not play.

What about the Warriors? Or for that matter the rest of the league. If Lebron and others are going to call out the Clippers players and demand they do something why don't THEY do anything about it? Getting involved then thinking your words and gestures are enough is hypocritical.

Would fans of their team want their players to just not play and take an L? It's easy for everyone not involved with the Clippers to talk but haven't seen them do anything themselves. The gesture by the Clippers was corny as hell but all you can realistically do in this situation is let it be known where you stand.

Christ people, a racist old person was saying racist shit. This isn't exactly a Rosa Parks situation. Old people are racist pretty much regardless of their own race. Not news.

What exactly are the Clippers supposed to accomplish by not playing? Make a very rich man slightly less rich? He's still going to be a racist and rich old man. If a protest is going to be staged it needs to be by every single team, not just the Clippers. Otherwise it's just punishing the players and fans that want to win because of something a racist old man said. I'm sure the league can figure out some way to ream Sterling, let the players play and stop expecting them to stage some kind of civil rights movement. That's idiotic.

Derka
04-28-2014, 04:04 PM
Threethrows gets it.

It's really easy to sit at your keyboard and risk nothing and blast these kids who just wanted to tell their owner that they were pissed at him.

Kblaze8855
04-28-2014, 04:09 PM
Or...Silver tells them outright "Put your uniforms on and play the game like the professionals you're supposed to be for these 18,000 people who get paid good money to come see the game...or I fine the bejesus out of every single one of you and suspend your team from the playoffs." He'd be well within his rights to do it, too.

Chris Paul is the head of the NBAPA. Silver was at that game. You're crazy if you don't think he, Doc and Silver had a conversation that went just like this before the Clips took the floor.

No way Silver is that stupid and no way Paul would believe he were that stupid if he did make the threat.

Can you imagine the media backlash if you suspend the players for not playing for Sterling right now?

Silver would look as bad as a commish ever has in the eyes of history. There is no way in hell he or any modern commish would have the balls to denounce players for this.

Derka
04-28-2014, 04:50 PM
No way Silver is that stupid and no way Paul would believe he were that stupid if he did make the threat.

Can you imagine the media backlash if you suspend the players for not playing for Sterling right now?

Silver would look as bad as a commish ever has in the eyes of history. There is no way in hell he or any modern commish would have the balls to denounce players for this.

Yes, he could and the players would have absolutely no leg to stand on. They'd be the ultimate hypocrites because there's not a man among them who didn't know before this weekend that the guy who signs their checks is an openly racist piece of garbage. Oh, now some gold-digging trick hoe caught him on tape, so its suddenly way more offensive? Now its a problem to take the floor with this guy's team jersey on your chest? F*ck that noise. Besides, you don't just play for Donald Sterling...you play for your city and your fans, you play for each other and your coach, you play for the Association...the world is watching these playoffs. They can't just say "Sorry, our owner is now officially racist so you all can go f*ck yourselves, we're not playing."

Same thing with the media. Politely I ask myself "Who the f*ck cares what the media thinks?" Where has the sports media been on Sterling for the past 30 years? His history is public record; no one hid it in a closet somewhere. Where was the NY Times on the subject before they decided that the Clippers small protest yesterday OMG DIDNT DO ENOUGH TO FIGHT RACISM RAH RAH RAH. F*ck the media and everyone who works in it.

ZenMaster
04-28-2014, 05:35 PM

Was gonna say this.

They had all the support they needed to make history.

Don't care much for the "racism is the worst thing in the world, but the show MUST go on" attitude. It's a fking game of basketball.

Instead they got Kevin Johnson on TV making basically just a bunch of threats and demands.

Al Thornton
04-28-2014, 06:01 PM
Was gonna say this.

Don't care much for the "racism is the worst thing in the world, but the show MUST go on" attitude. It's a fking game of basketball.

Instead they got Kevin Johnson on TV making basically just a bunch of threats and demands.

losing in the first round isn't making history. they all already knew about donald sterling and they are supposed to quit on the team and fans now because a tape that leaked got a bunch of attention outside the nba??

8-/

ZenMaster
04-28-2014, 06:05 PM
losing in the first round isn't making history. they all already knew about donald sterling and they are supposed to quit on the team and fans now because a tape that leaked got a bunch of attention outside the nba??

8-/

Sitting out, forfeting/both teams forfeting or forcing the league to re-schedule one game doesn't mean a 1st round loss.

And doing it for racial purposes is history that would have sent a much stonger message than taking off some stupid shirts at mid-court.

tjgoHAM
04-28-2014, 06:14 PM
didnt read

Kblaze8855
04-28-2014, 06:15 PM
I didnt say he couldnt enforce fines and suspensions and so on. I said hed never have the balls to do it because he would be villanized for all time.

Any player doesnt play......the league would bend over backwards to be understanding if only to not face the outcry that would come from taking action against him.

Imagine the headline:

"NBA fines chris Paul for not wanting to play for racist owner"

Press conference with Paul standing on a stage with Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Lebron and probably Magic Johnson behind him as he explains his decision? A speech writer would flip the lost income and resulting fine into a line about ones beliefs being of greater importance than money.

He would be a gotdamn folk hero overnight and the man to punish him for it would be linked to it forever.

The backlash would define Silvers first few years. He is just not that stupid.

Bosnian Sajo
04-28-2014, 06:23 PM
I gotta say, though, it's easy for Kobe, Magic, Jalen Rose, all these guys who aren't collecting their paychecks from Sterling, to say they wouldn't play for him.

That's not to say ANYTHING negative about the Clips players (I strongly dislike several of them, but for different reasons like flopping) and I don't blame them one bit. People in this forum acting like they should be Gandhi and give up their paychecks. Yeah ****ing right, welcome to the real world people.

Forreal, not to mention they have a serious chance to win the title this year, and they are supposed to throw that all away? Not happening.

BarberSchool
04-28-2014, 06:44 PM

Don't care much for the "racism is the worst thing in the world, but the show MUST go on" attitude. It's a fking game of basketball.I'm deeply dissapointed in Doc (for talking his team OUT OF boycotting), and so is his family in Maywood.

longtime lurker
04-28-2014, 06:49 PM
Both the Warriors and Clippers could have made a stand and boycotted the game. In fact 1 game a night should be boycotted by both teams to send a message. Imagine what Bill Russell would do in this situation. This "show must go on bullshit" is pathetic.

SacJB Shady
04-28-2014, 08:20 PM
What exactly are the Clippers supposed to accomplish by not playing? Make a very rich man slightly less rich?

Yes, it's the only thing they can do and it will increase the stock value of the players for being righteous.

LoneyROY7
04-28-2014, 08:26 PM
Miami Heat settle for the same gesture.

SacJB Shady
04-28-2014, 08:28 PM
Miami Heat settle for the same gesture.

This is YOUR owner!

LoneyROY7
04-28-2014, 08:31 PM
This is YOUR owner!

He's not MY owner. Keep babbling, kid.

SacJB Shady