PDA

View Full Version : Who would you rather have on your team, Batum or Parsons

Levity
04-28-2014, 02:21 PM
This was stemmed from the comment parsons made before game two, "im the best small forward in this series." and while ive been a fan of parsons since his infamous rookie year poster put backs, the idea of who's better between him and batum is certainly up for debate.

So if your team had an opening in the SF position and both batum and parsons were available, who would you rather have?

Le Shaqtus
04-28-2014, 02:22 PM
Parsons, but I'm biased.

russwest0
04-28-2014, 02:23 PM
Batum by far... and I would have said that before this series as well. Batum is better as a 3rd option because he's good at basically everything.

SilkkTheShocker
04-28-2014, 02:26 PM
Batum by far.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
04-28-2014, 02:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOW0vEpOK7A

SHABBA
04-28-2014, 02:30 PM
Batum for sure and I do like Parsons. Both are great third wheels.

Smook A.
04-28-2014, 02:30 PM
OBVIOUSLY Chandler Parsons

He gets numbers and gets paid 900k.
900k > Millions
Parsons is also very young.

kaiteng
04-28-2014, 02:31 PM
http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/nic-batum.gif

Akrazotile
04-28-2014, 02:32 PM
Depends if I'm Donald Sterling or Larry Johnson.

imdaman99
04-28-2014, 02:36 PM
Batum. He scores, rebounds, assists. Parsons? Not sure if he can do any of those consistently.

Levity
04-28-2014, 02:36 PM
OBVIOUSLY Chandler Parsons

He gets numbers and gets paid 900k.
900k > Millions
Parsons is also very young.

understandable, but i wasnt really looking at the contract part of it. we all know parsons is going to get paid, so say they are both making close to the same amount, then who would you take?

Marlo_Stanfield
04-28-2014, 02:39 PM
Batum by far. much more athletic, actually has one elite attribute( wingspan and maybe quickness) and consistent. just much more skilled as a player and more reliable.
also parsons, while young, has also reached his ceiling and actually got way worse on defense last two years:biggums:
how is that even possible for such a young play??:coleman:

Threethrows
04-28-2014, 03:19 PM
Parons tends to get hot scoring wise more often, but I'll take the swiss army nut puncher.

scm5
04-28-2014, 04:15 PM
Parsons.

He's playing on a team with Harden, the worst ball stopper in the game right now, and putting up 20/6/2 with less than 1 TO/gm and 56% TS.

Meanwhile Batum has the advantage of playing with Damian Lillard and Lamarcus Aldridge who have been two of the best three players in this series.

It's easy to rack up assists when Lillard is shooting an insane 48% from 3 and LMA is beasting the way he is.

If Parsons and Batum switched places, the stats would be in Parson's favor, I'm positive.

iznogood
04-28-2014, 04:20 PM
Batum and it's not even close. More skilled, smarter and a better competitor. Also more consistent and he'll take whatever role needed for his team to succeed.

Demitri98
04-28-2014, 04:22 PM
If I'm going for sidekick role player/third option, I got Batum. He'll do the dirty work just as good as/better than Parsons will and won't command a huge salary like Parsons will after his rookie deal runs out. Parsons may be younger but I'll take Batum in this area.

Although, if I'm in desperate need of a star/borderline star, I'll take Parsons. If I've got the cap space and need someone who will command constant attention from the defense and can be an average creator, Parsons runs away with it. He has more star potential and is very young yet.

Milbuck
04-28-2014, 04:22 PM
http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/nic-batum.gif
:wtf: :roll: :roll: :oldlol:

Dro
04-28-2014, 04:23 PM
This was stemmed from the comment parsons made before game two, "im the best small forward in this series." and while ive been a fan of parsons since his infamous rookie year poster put backs, the idea of who's better between him and batum is certainly up for debate.

So if your team had an opening in the SF position and both batum and parsons were available, who would you rather have?
He really said that? I missed that. Not saying he is or he isn't...Just surprised he would openly say that with Batum on the other side...

Marlo_Stanfield
04-28-2014, 04:24 PM
on another note, PArsons is the least clutch player i have ever seen.
he often goest like 8/11 in the first half with not much defensive attention and then goes 2/10 in the second half. most of the times is MIA in the 4th quater:roll: :roll:

ShackEelOKneel
04-28-2014, 04:25 PM
Batum?

Cocaine80s
04-28-2014, 04:26 PM
on another note, PArsons is the least clutch player i have ever seen.
he often goest like 8/11 in the first half with not much defensive attention and then goes 2/10 in the second half. most of the times is MIA in the 4th quater:roll: :roll:
this is why people hate Lin

Teanett
04-28-2014, 04:33 PM
Parsons.

He's playing on a team with Harden, the worst ball stopper in the game right now, and putting up 20/6/2 with less than 1 TO/gm and 56% TS.

Meanwhile Batum has the advantage of playing with Damian Lillard and Lamarcus Aldridge who have been two of the best three players in this series.

It's easy to rack up assists when Lillard is shooting an insane 48% from 3 and LMA is beasting the way he is.

If Parsons and Batum switched places, the stats would be in Parson's favor, I'm positive.

i fully agree.

Levity
04-28-2014, 04:34 PM
He really said that? I missed that. Not saying he is or he isn't...Just surprised he would openly say that with Batum on the other side...

yeah, i was pretty shocked he said that. and i could be wrong, but im pretty sure batum went off the next game following that quote.

http://www.csnnw.com/blazers/parsons-im-best-small-forward-series

TexasBloodMoney
04-28-2014, 04:49 PM
"Parsons is young"

He's older than Batum by a couple months.

zoom17
04-28-2014, 04:51 PM
Batum

PickernRoller
04-28-2014, 04:53 PM
Batum. Most gay man would probably pick Parsons....truth be told.

BlazerRed
04-28-2014, 04:54 PM
Batman

Black and White
04-28-2014, 04:57 PM
Batum by far, he is a much better complimentary piece to a star, he is clutch as hell and can rebound, defend etc more consistently than Parsons.

Genaro
04-28-2014, 04:57 PM
Batum. Clearly the better defender and he can do everything Parsons can in the offensive end.

Brokenbeat
04-28-2014, 05:04 PM
Imagine if Parsons had a French accent though.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/dat-ass-original.jpg

ihatetimthomas
04-28-2014, 05:20 PM
This is a tough choice. It would def. come down to the team makeup and team needs. If my team needed a 2nd option and scoring, I would go with Parsons because he is very assertive offensively and can create his own shot. I think he has potential to become a 2nd option on a very good team as well. If my team was established and needed a glue guy, Batum is the easy choice. He is as versatile as they come. He can lock down any perimeter player and he has offense in his game as well. He just gets a bit passive offensively. I feel Batum is a guy who can make a very good team with their goto guys established into a elite team. I do not think Parsons would have that impact like Batum on a established team BUT he would be a better 2nd option fit than Batum.

JellyBean
04-28-2014, 05:34 PM
Batum.

JordanL
04-28-2014, 05:51 PM
Batum is worth like five Parsons on defense....

BlackVVaves
04-28-2014, 05:54 PM
yeah, i was pretty shocked he said that. and i could be wrong, but im pretty sure batum went off the next game following that quote.

http://www.csnnw.com/blazers/parsons-im-best-small-forward-series

Not the next game (he made those comments before the series started) but Batum had a pretty good game 2, and had some pivotal and timely plays in Game 4.

Also, Batum has been infinitely more effective as a defender in this series, and in general period.

scm5
04-28-2014, 06:18 PM
I really don't understand ISH and where you guys get your views.

Batum is incredibly overrated as a defender. I'm not even sure he's an above average defender overall. He certainly is athletic and possesses the tools to be a good defender, but he rarely shows his potential as a defender.

Meanwhile, stating that Batum is a better playmaker than Parsons is absolutely ridiculous. Parsons averaged just 1apg less than Batum during the regular season, and that's with both Harden and Dwight being ball stoppers on offense, not to mention whatever it is Patrick Beverley is doing on offense most of the time.

Portland has a much better flowing offense than Houston does and it really shows during this series. Aside from when LMA was looking like the second coming of Shaq during the series, there isn't one player that dominates the ball. In a system like that, especially when you're the secondary ballhandler, it's much easier to rack up assists.

MavsSuperFan
04-28-2014, 06:19 PM
parson's only advantage over batum is attractiveness.

scm5
04-28-2014, 06:46 PM
parson's only advantage over batum is attractiveness.

Parsons is a better scorer, shooter, and ball handler.

In terms of Assist/TO:

Parsons: 4.0apg/1.9 TO/gm = 2.1 (while shooting/scoring more than Batum)

Batum: 5.1apg/2.5 TO/gm = 2.04

Parsons is far from a poor playmaker, but he's used more as a scorer than Batum is because Parsons is one of the more efficient scorers Houston has.

Watch any Houston game and you'll see Harden and Dwight demanding iso/post up possessions constantly. If Batum were playing for Houston, he would average far fewer assists. Meanwhile, Batum gets assists from Lillard and Wes from the perimeter and LMA with his sweet mid-range shot.

Also in terms of off-ball movement, Parsons is on another level to Batum.

When judging a player, context matters. This is why Parsons will get paid during the offseason and why Batum hasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zggDyCohEtM

Oh yeah, he's fairly athletic for a 6'10 SF as well.

MoMoney
04-28-2014, 07:00 PM

In terms of Assist/TO:

Parsons is far from a poor playmaker, but he's used more as a scorer than Batum is because Parsons is one of the more efficient scorers Houston has.

Watch any Houston game and you'll see Harden and Dwight demanding iso/post up possessions constantly. If Batum were playing for Houston, he would average far fewer assists. Meanwhile, Batum gets assists from Lillard and Wes from the perimeter and LMA with his sweet mid-range shot.

When judging a player, context matters. This is why Parsons will get paid during the offseason and why Batum hasn't.

Stop selectively choosing stats you standard american news source

Rocketswin2013
04-28-2014, 07:01 PM
...................Who cares?

Threethrows
04-28-2014, 10:49 PM

In terms of Assist/TO:

Speaking of context, I like how you leave out other efficiency stats, like scoring. Where Batum is better. Or defense, where Batum is better. Or rebounding, where Batum is better. Or assist% and usage% where Batum is better.

Oh but you're right, he turns it over .6 times more per game so clearly Parsons is better. Good job confusing higher volume with effectiveness and cherry picking a specific stat.

Outside of taking care of the ball better on his dribble Parsons doesn't really do anything else better than Batum. His field percentages are slightly higher but his overall scoring efficiency is lower.

Parsons is a really good player too, and I'm not saying he's worse than Batum at everything either, but he's definitely not better at anything that warrants him being considered the better player overall to me.

The full package of what Batum brings is better than the very slight offensive advantage Parsons brings, and that "advantage" is mostly due to that .6 of a turnover. Context :rockon:

Rocketswin2013
04-28-2014, 10:51 PM
Only Blazers fans who once thought Batum could be an all-star, (:roll: ) care about this at all.

Threethrows
04-28-2014, 10:52 PM
Only Blazers fans who once thought Batum could be an all-star, (:roll: ) care about this at all.

You check the thread 2 minutes after a new post and reply... somebody cares :hammertime: