PDA

View Full Version : New thought: what if the league fined Sterling the value of the Clippers franchise?

JordanL
04-29-2014, 02:40 AM
So.. somewhere in the neighborhood of $750+ million.

It would be an unprecedented fine, but it would almost surely force one of two options:

1. Sterling sells to either pay for the fine OR to avoid the fine and turn a profit.
2. Sterling sues in a Federal court to prevent the fine.

If he goes with option 2, the rest of any recordings will almost surely be subpoenaed, and because it's a Federal court and not a California court, they would almost surely be admissible. It would also make all of them public.

I think this would force him to sell more than any other option the league has.

fiddy
04-29-2014, 02:40 AM
get a brain pls

bdreason
04-29-2014, 02:42 AM
The largest penalty they can impose by law is 1 million dollars.

Milbuck
04-29-2014, 02:43 AM
:facepalm Holy shit.

rhowen4
04-29-2014, 02:44 AM
what im confused about is why stop at 750 million?

Yankstar
04-29-2014, 02:44 AM
Just force him to sell to magic. Gays and blacks both win :roll:

fiddy
04-29-2014, 02:47 AM
Just force him to sell to magic. Gays and blacks both win :roll:
Magic's investment buddies are white. While Magic is more like the face of the operation.

Yankstar
04-29-2014, 02:49 AM
Magic's investment buddies are white. While Magic is more like the face of the operation.

All about appearances my friend. White or foreign money own the NBA :rolleyes:

JordanL
04-29-2014, 02:55 AM
The largest penalty they can impose by law is 1 million dollars.

They've fined the Minnesota Timberwolves $3.5 million before...

oarabbus
04-29-2014, 02:56 AM
That's absurd. As much as Sterling is a scumbag, dirty strong arm tactics like suing him for $750 million is not the answer.

iamgine
04-29-2014, 02:57 AM
So.. somewhere in the neighborhood of $750+ million.

It would be an unprecedented fine, but it would almost surely force one of two options:

1. Sterling sells to either pay for the fine OR to avoid the fine and turn a profit.
2. Sterling sues in a Federal court to prevent the fine.

If he goes with option 2, the rest of any recordings will almost surely be subpoenaed, and because it's a Federal court and not a California court, they would almost surely be admissible. It would also make all of them public.

I think this would force him to sell more than any other option the league has.
That much fine base on what? Sterling would sue and the NBA would lose very badly in court.

:facepalm

BasedTom
04-29-2014, 02:58 AM
What do Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Mark Cuban, and Gilbert Arenas have in common? They've all expressed a concern over how quick we are to demand that Sterling be "forced to sell the team" over his private, although deplorable beliefs. Which may have been illegally recorded without his consent.

"Shouldn’t we be equally angered by the fact that his private, intimate conversation was taped and then leaked to the media? Didn’t we just call to task the NSA for intruding into American citizen’s privacy in such an un-American way? Although the impact is similar to Mitt Romney’s comments that were secretly taped, the difference is that Romney was giving a public speech. The making and release of this tape is so sleazy that just listening to it makes me feel like an accomplice to the crime. We didn’t steal the cake but we’re all gorging ourselves on it." -Kareem

RoseCity07
04-29-2014, 02:58 AM
All that needs to happen is for Silver to explain he killed the value of his franchise and to get out while he still can. No one wants to support that franchise, the players don't want to be there, and future prospects will avoid the Clippers as long as he is owner.

He's going to sell the team. I'm certain of that.

JordanL
04-29-2014, 03:01 AM
:oldlol:

So many people took the bait.

iamgine
04-29-2014, 03:02 AM
[QUOTE=BasedTom]What do Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Mark Cuban, and Gilbert Arenas have in common? They've all expressed a concern over how quick we are to demand that Sterling be "forced to sell the team" over his private, although deplorable beliefs. Which may have been illegally recorded without his consent.

"Shouldn

ShackEelOKneel
04-29-2014, 03:42 AM
Do you really think this would get far enough in court for subpoenas?

FLDFSU
04-29-2014, 04:25 AM
1. God knows the last thing I want to do is appear to defend Sterling for his racist remarks, but, and has been stated, not sure the NBA should be in the business of punishing folks for their private thoughts in a private conversations.

2. Does anyone really think the rest of the NBA really wants to set the precedent that the rest of the Owners can take action against you because of secret recordings of an ex-mistress?

LOL! How many of these old farts have 20-something year old gold digging mistresses that can at anytime set them up and then BAM they would be forced to sell?

Yeah, the NBA Owners will not be setting any precedents that may harm the rest of their Ownership interests--especially over privately recorded phone conversations.

miggyme1
04-29-2014, 04:36 AM
1. God knows the last thing I want to do is appear to defend Sterling for his racist remarks, but, and has been stated, not sure the NBA should be in the business of punishing folks for their private thoughts in a private conversations.

2. Does anyone really think the rest of the NBA really wants to set the precedent that the rest of the Owners can take action against you because of secret recordings of an ex-mistress?

LOL! How many of these old farts have 20-something year old gold digging mistresses that can at anytime set them up and then BAM they would be forced to sell?

Yeah, the NBA Owners will not be setting any precedents that may harm the rest of their Ownership interests--especially over privately recorded phone conversations.

i think sterling should be celebrated. he should get his own holiday.

on that day every year cameras will follow him as he ventures through poverty stricken areas and do just as he say he has been doing all these years...."i feed them, i give them clothes, i give them cars"

kNIOKAS
04-29-2014, 05:22 AM
How could a NBA fine anybody in America for having his privacy right violated? Or for having an opinion?!??!

Bandito
04-29-2014, 07:17 AM
Why would the nba fined him? What did he do?

Yankstar
04-29-2014, 07:27 AM
Why would the nba fined him? What did he do?

:biggums: cost the league reputation damage and money.
:rant

Bandito
04-29-2014, 07:42 AM
No he didnt. Either way you cant fine someone for being a racist if he doesnt break any laws. :biggums:

He may be a racist but there is no law that prevents you from being one.

JohnFreeman
04-29-2014, 07:43 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/p180x540/10172624_852130678148791_2115936768925465031_n.jpg

R.I.P.
04-29-2014, 07:43 AM
Sterling is a sad human being, no doubt, and I hope they fine him a seven figure sum and ban him from his own games. At the same time I then hope he turns around and sues the gold-digging bitch back to the park bench he picked her up from. That

R.I.P.
04-29-2014, 07:45 AM
No he didnt. Either way you cant fine someone for being a racist if he doesnt break any laws. :biggums:

Stern found ways to fine Cuban for breathing. :lol

Yankstar
04-29-2014, 07:45 AM

This is about the reputation of the league. You can't have owners saying s**ts like that. How can you say they won't cost the league? Remember the malice in the palace?

BlazerRed
04-29-2014, 07:46 AM
http://i.minus.com/i8cPE2cWKxJPG.gif

ShackEelOKneel
04-29-2014, 07:46 AM

THis

Flash31
04-29-2014, 07:54 AM
Old Rational Thought:You can't fine somebody his own business worth
bc you didn't like what he/she said in an illegally taped private conversation.

WTF kind of logic are you on?

Unless DS did something illegal,had illegal business practices or policies,you can't fine him.
If DS got fined some huge amount,all the owners would revolt and argue against it.It would set a national precedence.

You don't like the owner,gm,coach,player,whatever so you air a private conversation and with the way current media is,that person is fined an exorbitant amount and ousted ILLEGALLY.
The most the league can do is suspend him from daily operations an prevent him from attending the games.
They can NOT oust him bc they disagreed with his private opinion.

And while DS didnt want black or hispanic people at the game,he didn't do anything illegal.He still hired minorities.People weren't banned to go to a LAc game bc they were a minority.

This isn't a Paula Deen issue where she hosted her own show,and the network airing her show ousted her.This is an owner of his own business and unless he did something illegal they can't oust him but they can prevent him from getting NBA coverage.

hahaitme
04-29-2014, 07:57 AM
BRB fining someone 750mill for racist remarks said in private

It's not like the guy called a press conference and said "hey everybody, **** ******s!"

buddha
04-29-2014, 07:58 AM
insidehoop's finest gentlemen and gentlemen

Dresta
04-29-2014, 07:58 AM
[QUOTE=BasedTom]What do Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Mark Cuban, and Gilbert Arenas have in common? They've all expressed a concern over how quick we are to demand that Sterling be "forced to sell the team" over his private, although deplorable beliefs. Which may have been illegally recorded without his consent.

"[B]Shouldn

Flash31
04-29-2014, 08:02 AM
]This is about the reputation of the league. You can't have owners saying s**ts like that. How can you say they won't cost the league? Remember the malice in the palace?[/QUOTE]

This wasn't a nationally televised moment that was covered by the NBA.
This was an illegally taped conversation.
Saying something you disagree with in a private conversation isn't on the level of being nationally televised and assaulting multiple players and fans in the stands.

One is sponsored,aired by and covered by the NBA.
The other was taken illegally from a private conversation where nothing illegal happened,only a difference of people's opinions on the matter being said.

Now the league can't oust him even if it damages their reputation but the players and coaches could choose not to work for him and the NBA can decide to ban him from games.
You can't forcibly remove somebody from ownership bc of that.The NBA can tr to make him leave by other means---suspended from games,players,fo not wanting to work for him,bad publicity,bad reputation but they can't forcibly remove him.

Yankstar
04-29-2014, 08:07 AM
]This is about the reputation of the league. You can't have owners saying s**ts like that. How can you say they won't cost the league? Remember the malice in the palace?

This wasn't a nationally televised moment that was covered by the NBA.
This was an illegally taped conversation.
Saying something you disagree with in a private conversation isn't on the level of being nationally televised and assaulting multiple players and fans in the stands.

One is sponsored,aired by and covered by the NBA.
The other was taken illegally from a private conversation where nothing illegal happened,only a difference of people's opinions on the matter being said.

Now the league can't oust him even if it damages their reputation but the players and coaches could choose not to work for him and the NBA can decide to ban him from games.
You can't forcibly remove somebody from ownership bc of that.The NBA can tr to make him leave by other means---suspended from games,players,fo not wanting to work for him,bad publicity,bad reputation but they can't forcibly remove him.[/QUOTE]

We just want him gone. Don't care how he does it but silver needs to do it. If this distraction costs us the best chance of getting a chip ever :rant