PDA

View Full Version : MJ is a hypocrit

therammingman
04-29-2014, 03:22 AM
"The Jordan Rules," by Chicago Tribune reporter Sam Smith, who covered the team during its 1990-91 championship run, quotes Jordan as saying that if he won the lottery, he would ". . . go open up a country club and post a sign that said, 'No Jews Allowed.' "

poido123
04-29-2014, 03:23 AM
"The Jordan Rules," by Chicago Tribune reporter Sam Smith, who covered the team during its 1990-91 championship run, quotes Jordan as saying that if he won the lottery, he would ". . . go open up a country club and post a sign that said, 'No Jews Allowed.' "

Someone in denial that it's 2014 :facepalm

oarabbus
04-29-2014, 03:24 AM

That would only be hypocritical if Jordan, at a different time, claimed to like Jews.

livinglegend
04-29-2014, 03:24 AM

says the jordan stan that still live in the 90s

therammingman
04-29-2014, 03:27 AM

im bringing it up not out of nowhere, but in direct relation to his anger over sterlings comments

damn you are stupid. Just because it was old doesnt change the fact that it was said. STFU

Deuce Bigalow
04-29-2014, 03:33 AM
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img716/5576/mv6.gif

16X
04-29-2014, 03:38 AM
http://www.vh1.com/celebrity/bwe/images/2010/06/Michael-Jordan-Hitler-Stache.jpg

poido123
04-29-2014, 03:41 AM

Paying your avatar debts ho? :oldlol:

Real14
04-29-2014, 03:44 AM
Paying your avatar debts ho? :oldlol:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/8adfb7f8a1e5f17c335852eb9935d933/tumblr_mowc69KUfT1rwtl3wo1_400.gif

ILLsmak
04-29-2014, 03:51 AM
That would only be hypocritical if Jordan, at a different time, claimed to like Jews.

No, I think that'd be more of a lie. It's hypocritical to discriminate against one thing while protecting another. I imagine that Jordan was being facetious, though, and was just inverting what he understood to be true.

-Smak

Poetry
04-29-2014, 04:29 AM
Here's the excerpt:

"From ``The Jordan Rules`` by Sam Smith. Copyright 1991 by Sam Smith."

"In the last few years, particularly because of his growing love for golf, Jordan had come to experience racism as he never had before. In his special place as American icon and folk hero, he`d been able to transcend racial hatred and divisiveness.

Jordan was welcomed where black men didn`t tread, namely on the country club circuit. He played on the exclusive golf courses on Chicago`s North Shore, and his appearances were cause for celebration.

But actual membership was a different story. He had thought about joining one of two Jewish clubs near his Highland Park home and friends made private inquiries on his behalf. They were politely informed that, no, Jordan wouldn`t be welcomed as a member. Of course, he could play any time he wanted but, well, there just weren`t any immediate openings. You know.

The realization had never really struck Jordan before. He couldn`t go somewhere because he was black. He never pursued the matter, but he clearly was hurt.

It was why he`d responded to a friend the way he did when the Illinois state lottery jackpot had grown to over $40 million in early 1990, and the players were laughing and joking in the locker room about what they`d do if they won.

``I`d retire at halftime,`` he said with a smile. ``I`d take my uniform off and just leave the court. And then I`d go open up a country club and post a sign that said `No Jews Allowed.` ``"

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1991-11-18/sports/9104140691_1_shoal-creek-club-golf-courses-butler-national-golf-club

Verticality
04-29-2014, 04:34 AM
http://www.vh1.com/celebrity/bwe/images/2010/06/Michael-Jordan-Hitler-Stache.jpg

Came in expecting this, and was not disappointed.

jstern
04-29-2014, 05:08 AM
im bringing it up not out of nowhere, but in direct relation to his anger over sterlings comments

damn you are stupid. Just because it was old doesnt change the fact that it was said. STFU

Sounds more like a joke in reference to the many country clubs that don't allow black people inside.

Which I find very interesting at the moment, because I never thought about that country club culture and the type of people that are part of it, and I'm guessing Sterling is part of that type of culture that would make such rules.

Hard to explain what I mean, bottom line, the Jordan line sounded like a complete joke.

Joyner82reload
04-29-2014, 05:20 AM
:roll:

Isn't Jordan openly racist towards the vast majority of black people? i.e. his "i don't take pictures with n*ggers" whenever chamillionaire tried to take a photo with him

NumberSix
04-29-2014, 05:21 AM
Obvious joke.

davehos
04-29-2014, 05:47 AM
Context: the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed.

Sterling: Told the woman he pays for blow jobs to not hang out with a certain race

Jordan: Discussing racism he had experienced and used a figure of speech to make a point

deja vu
04-29-2014, 06:54 AM
Is it possible to be racist against your own race?

ShackEelOKneel
04-29-2014, 07:16 AM
Is it possible to be racist against your own race?

Absolutely.

http://downlopaz.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/uncle-ruckus160.jpg

Bandito
04-29-2014, 07:19 AM
Here's the excerpt:

"In the last few years, particularly because of his growing love for golf, Jordan had come to experience racism as he never had before. In his special place as American icon and folk hero, he`d been able to transcend racial hatred and divisiveness.

Jordan was welcomed where black men didn`t tread, namely on the country club circuit. He played on the exclusive golf courses on Chicago`s North Shore, and his appearances were cause for celebration.

But actual membership was a different story. He had thought about joining one of two Jewish clubs near his Highland Park home and friends made private inquiries on his behalf. They were politely informed that, no, Jordan wouldn`t be welcomed as a member. Of course, he could play any time he wanted but, well, there just weren`t any immediate openings. You know.

The realization had never really struck Jordan before. He couldn`t go somewhere because he was black. He never pursued the matter, but he clearly was hurt.

It was why he`d responded to a friend the way he did when the Illinois state lottery jackpot had grown to over $40 million in early 1990, and the players were laughing and joking in the locker room about what they`d do if they won.

``I`d retire at halftime,`` he said with a smile. ``I`d take my uniform off and just leave the court. And then I`d go open up a country club and post a sign that said `No Jews Allowed.` ``"

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1991-11-18/sports/9104140691_1_shoal-creek-club-golf-courses-butler-national-golf-club
What a missquote does. :biggums:

Da_Realist
04-29-2014, 07:22 AM
:roll:

Isn't Jordan openly racist towards the vast majority of black people? i.e. his "i don't take pictures with n*ggers" whenever chamillionaire tried to take a photo with him

N*ggas, not n*ggers. And in that context n*ggas meant "men". He was saying he takes pictures with women, not grown ass men.

buddha
04-29-2014, 08:02 AM
i'm just going to say there is a reason why everyone has hated jews throughout history.

ShackEelOKneel
04-29-2014, 08:08 AM
N*ggas, not n*ggers. And in that context n*ggas meant "men". He was saying he takes pictures with women, not grown ass men.

So you are saying he is sexist.

DwnShft2Xcelr8
04-29-2014, 08:12 AM
Out of context, of course it sounds racist.

YouGotServed
04-29-2014, 08:16 AM
i'm just going to say there is a reason why everyone has hated jews throughout history.

Reported. It was nice talking to ya.

ArbitraryWater
04-29-2014, 08:40 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/8adfb7f8a1e5f17c335852eb9935d933/tumblr_mowc69KUfT1rwtl3wo1_400.gif

You're the dumbest fkn poster ever

TheMan
04-29-2014, 09:48 AM
OP, cool story, fakkit.

tmacattack33
04-29-2014, 10:00 AM
It was a joke. Good look by Poetry by posting the whole thing in context.

And also, within what Poetry posted, you see that Jordan was obviously not racist if he was trying to join country clubs where every one else was white.

Rake2204
04-29-2014, 10:15 AM
Here's the excerpt:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1991-11-18/sports/9104140691_1_shoal-creek-club-golf-courses-butler-national-golf-clubI appreciate the posting of the entire excerpt for the sake of context.

Straight_Ballin
04-29-2014, 10:32 AM

He might be a fan of a has been, but what are you? A fan of a never was?

Straight_Ballin
04-29-2014, 10:41 AM

The only thing worse than using the word is using a modified version in an attempt to establish comradery and unity. "e" or "a", why use it at all? Because some rapper said it? Remove both words from your vocabulary. People are not "cool" and "down" because they use it.

Dresta
04-29-2014, 10:45 AM
Here's the excerpt:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1991-11-18/sports/9104140691_1_shoal-creek-club-golf-courses-butler-national-golf-clubSounds like elements of the Jewish community are prejudicial towards black Americans and don't want association with them, which fits with why Sterling didn't want his ho publicising her association with black dudes. I mean, he even said 'you can even **** em, just not in public.' :lol

Having recently listened to the tape, Sterling doesn't really say anything directly that shows personal racism and animosity towards blacks, the whole issue seemed to be about how it was making him look to certain 'friends' of whom we don't know much.

Dresta
04-29-2014, 10:49 AM
Context: the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed.

Sterling: Told the woman he pays for blow jobs to not hang out with a certain race

Jordan: Discussing racism he had experienced and used a figure of speech to make a point
He didn't say that though, he said not to publicise it on things like Instagram. That is different because it means there are other people who do have a problem with it that he is trying to appease.

guy
04-29-2014, 11:03 AM
Having recently listened to the tape, Sterling doesn't really say anything directly that shows personal racism and animosity towards blacks, the whole issue seemed to be about how it was making him look to certain 'friends' of whom we don't know much.

What? So Donald Sterling wasn't being racist, he's just an 81 year old man who has the mindset of a teenage girl who's trying to impress his friends? :oldlol:

Dresta
04-29-2014, 11:08 AM
What? So Donald Sterling wasn't being racist, he's just an 81 year old man who has the mindset of a teenage girl who's trying to impress his friends? :oldlol:
:facepalm

What?

Try it again: read > comprehend > think > respond. I'll be waiting.

It means there is a context behind what he said they we have no understanding of.

guy
04-29-2014, 11:15 AM
:facepalm

What?

Try it again: read > comprehend > think > respond. I'll be waiting.

It means there is a context behind what he said they we have no understanding of.

Saying you don't want someone to advertise themselves being around black people is still clearly racist even if the reasons for that request stems from whatever ridiculous archaic culture Sterling comes from. He might've not said something that specifically shows personal animosity towards race, but its clear from that conversation that he has some.

And like I said, its an incredibly stupid, weak reason to care about how it makes him look. Its something an insecure teenager would care about.

Dresta
04-29-2014, 11:22 AM
Saying you don't want someone to advertise themselves being around black people is still clearly racist even if the reasons for that request stems from whatever ridiculous archaic culture Sterling comes from.

And like I said, its an incredibly stupid, weak reason to care about how it makes him look. Its something an insecure teenager would care about.
It may BE racist, but it doesn't necessarily mean that HE is racist (though in all likelihood he is). But that recording still isn't actual proof that the man is racist. It's also been selected from over 100 hours of recordings; if you'd been more selective you could've just chosen the parts when he says he 'loves black people' and declare them as unquestionable evidence that he is not a racist. The principle is the same as doing the opposite.

navy
04-29-2014, 11:27 AM
It may BE racist, but it doesn't necessarily mean that HE is racist (though in all likelihood he is). But that recording still isn't actual proof that the man is racist. It's also been selected from over 100 hours of recordings; if you'd been more selective you could've just chosen the parts when he says he 'loves black people' and declare them as unquestionable evidence that he is not a racist. The principle is the same as doing the opposite.

He straight up said black jews were less than white jews. And people are still debating this? :oldlol:

guy
04-29-2014, 11:41 AM

Ummmm, yes it is. Having a problem with someone taking pictures with a black person and posting it publicly is clearly a display of racism. And the rest of the conversation might not be explicitly racist, but there's clearly implications i.e. the fact that he couldn't answer if he'd have a problem if it was Larry Bird for example.

And this recording may not be as big of a deal if there wasn't a pattern of racist behavior from him, but there's been multiple accusations from different parties about this man's racism for years. Its not some huge coincidence. Not sure what the argument is here. This is finally racism straight from his mouth for everyone to hear and clearly confirms it.

Dresta
04-29-2014, 12:04 PM
He straight up said black jews were less than white jews. And people are still debating this? :oldlol:
I honestly cba listening to that rambling shit again, but i'm pretty sure he didn't say that, and only said they were treated far worse (50%, 100%) than white jews in Israel (he even says 'it's the world!' - i.e. not him). You really need to improve your comprehension.

Ummmm, yes it is. Having a problem with someone taking pictures with a black person and posting it publicly is clearly a display of racism. And the rest of the conversation might not be explicitly racist, but there's clearly implications i.e. the fact that he couldn't answer if he'd have a problem if it was Larry Bird for example.

And this recording may not be as big of a deal if there wasn't a pattern of racist behavior from him, but there's been multiple accusations from different parties about this man's racism for years. Its not some huge coincidence. Not sure what the argument is here. This is finally racism straight from his mouth for everyone to hear and clearly confirms it.
No it isn't and you obviously don't understand the meaning of the word racism if you think that. It has to do with interior motivation. If a young white woman refuses to marry or date a black man because her father would disown her if she did, but she has no actual prejudice against black people (sleeping with them on the down low), then who is the racist, her or the father? If you think it is the latter then you have agreed with me.

The rest is not evidence and is still conjecture, which would never hold up legally. If Sterling refuses to go they will not be able to get rid of him as they have no legal right to. The only way to actually force him out would be for players to refuse to sign for him and for fans to refuse to attend games.

guy
04-29-2014, 12:31 PM
No it isn't and you obviously don't understand the meaning of the word racism if you think that. It has to do with interior motivation. If a young white woman refuses to marry or date a black man because her father would disown her if she did, but she has no actual prejudice against black people (sleeping with them on the down low), then who is the racist, her or the father? If you think it is the latter then you have agreed with me.

Fair point, but its obviously unlikely that this is the same analogy. My whole point about bringing up the teenage girl comparison is that its incredibly far-fetched that an 81 year old man, specifically a guy who's shown that he's never really given much of a shit about what others have thought of him before, holds these positions because he cares about what his friends think of him. Combine that with all the discrimination accusations against him before, its very unlikely that this isn't racism stemming from interior motivation.

I understand that you're arguing "proof". But who cares? Its pretty obvious that he is a racist. His whole history of possible discrimination aren't just wild coincidences. And whatever action comes against him isn't based on if the NBA can prove he's a racist or not, its based on his actions regardless of the motivation behind those actions.

The rest is not evidence and is still conjecture, which would never hold up legally. If Sterling refuses to go they will not be able to get rid of him as they have no legal right to. The only way to actually force him out would be for players to refuse to sign for him and for fans to refuse to attend games.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10852199/challenge-donald-sterling

Take it for what its worth, but thats from the legal expert from ESPN, and according to him they could legally do it. Not saying it would definitely happen cause owners may have a problem with setting that precedent, but legally it can be done.