PDA

View Full Version : Would Sterling get banned if he made homophobic comments instead?

livinglegend
04-29-2014, 07:51 PM
...?

rhowen4
04-29-2014, 07:54 PM
he would get assassinated

selrahc
04-29-2014, 07:55 PM
Would Sterling get banned if he made comments against Native Americans instead?

Derka
04-29-2014, 07:58 PM
If he said "Don't bring any gays to my games" and intentionally damaged the NBA's brand? Yeah.

COnDEMnED
04-29-2014, 07:58 PM
If he did, it would be incredibly hypocritical of them. Why should Kobe only get fined while an owner gets pushed out of the league?

livinglegend
04-29-2014, 07:59 PM
If he said "Don't bring any gays to my games" and intentionally damaged the NBA's brand? Yeah.

Come on, stop lying to yourself. Kobe and Hibbert made homophobic comments and they didnt even get one game suspension.

HiphopRelated
04-29-2014, 07:59 PM
It probably would have been viewed as worse.

Derka
04-29-2014, 08:00 PM
Come on, stop lying to yourself. Kobe and Hibbert made homophobic comments and they didnt even get one game suspension.

They both had to pay fines and apologize like scolded children. The problem with this whole thing was "I don't want them at my games."

longtime lurker
04-29-2014, 08:00 PM

This.

STATUTORY
04-29-2014, 08:01 PM
They both had to pay fines and apologize like scolded children. The problem with this whole thing was "I don't want them at my games."
that's really not what he said tho

HiphopRelated
04-29-2014, 08:01 PM
Lol, this wasn't some off the cuff remark.

If he made some racist comment that he could apologize away, this would have blown over. This asshat broke down the generational hatred of blacks by him and his "friends" from LA to Israel.

PejaNowitzki
04-29-2014, 08:02 PM
...?

Brendan Eich was.

In general, if you say shit that pisses off your bosses or customers, your hold on your job title or position becomes tenuous at best.

livinglegend
04-29-2014, 08:02 PM

He didnt say '' I dont want them at my games.''
He just said that he didnt want her to come at the games with them.
Completely different meanings.

oarabbus
04-29-2014, 08:03 PM
Brendan Eich was.

In general, if you say shit that pisses off your bosses or customers, your hold on your job title or position becomes tenuous at best.

This. The man was forced to resign as CEO. Of course Sterling would be in deep **** for making homophobic comments.

Derka
04-29-2014, 08:05 PM

...right

DMV2
04-29-2014, 08:07 PM
It would depend on the public outrage, this includes sponsorship. Silver would have just fined him if it didn't made front page news in non-sports section.

Kobe nor Hibbert cost the league to lose any sponsorship. They also didn't have a history of discrimination either.

Don't blame Silver or the NBA for this. They're just protecting their brand, their image, doing what they feel is best to keep their sponsorship.

KungFuJoe
04-29-2014, 08:08 PM
Nope. It's perfectly acceptable to be homophobic currently. Just like it was perfectly acceptable to be racist 50 years ago.

Derka
04-29-2014, 08:08 PM

No, its not. At all.

mr.big35
04-29-2014, 08:12 PM
If he said like I dont like gays because I follow the bible he would not face that big of a backlash

christian1923
04-29-2014, 08:13 PM
If he said like I dont like gays because I follow the bible he would not face that big of a backlash
Well there is two known gays in the nba. The NBA is all black players, that's why it's different.

moe94
04-29-2014, 08:16 PM

What? I love when y'all make up up anything to go with your own accounts of what happened.

G-train
04-29-2014, 08:17 PM

Yeah I think he would, because the bible doesn't say that.

longtime lurker
04-29-2014, 08:17 PM

Really?

[QUOTE]
V: I don't understand, I don't see your views. I wasn't raised the way you were raised.

DS: Well then, if you don't feel

G-train
04-29-2014, 08:19 PM
I think he would have received a large fine for a homophobic remark, and no ban.
The NBA is full of black people, not homosexuals. The uproar would not be as big IMO.

PejaNowitzki
04-29-2014, 08:19 PM
Nope. It's perfectly acceptable to be homophobic currently. Just like it was perfectly acceptable to be racist 50 years ago.

Was one of the founders of M-o-z-i-l-l-a not just booted from his position as CEO? Not for any comments he made but a political donation opposing gay-marriage about 7 years ago.

Roy Hibbert said "no homo" jokingly and drew a shit ton of criticism as well as a fine for it.

Not sure where you're seeing all this publicly accepted rampant homophobia at?

G-train
04-29-2014, 08:22 PM
I am really certain he was under the influence of some sort of substance when this happened, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone drugged him. It's a total set up.
I still think he believes what he said, and I guess that is what matters most.

STATUTORY
04-29-2014, 08:22 PM
What? I love when y'all make up up anything to go with your own accounts of what happened.
he clearly alludes to living up to society's expectations and the limitation of his own agency. racism is a societal problem, not an individual one.

G-train
04-29-2014, 08:25 PM

It's not acceptable to hate anyone really. Not even Donald Sterling.
Who decides what is worthy of hate? Society?
Uh oh.

What you can do is disagree with a person's lifestyle or actions, or believe they are not for you personally, but you shouldn't hate anyone.

E.L.E.
- Jackie Moon

longtime lurker
04-29-2014, 08:28 PM
Was one of the founders of M-o-z-i-l-l-a not just booted from his position as CEO? Not for any comments he made but a political donation opposing gay-marriage about 7 years ago.

Roy Hibbert said "no homo" jokingly and drew a shit ton of criticism as well as a fine for it.

Not sure where you're seeing all this publicly accepted rampant homophobia at?

Phil Robertson anyone?

Laker4Lyfe
04-29-2014, 08:30 PM

At one time he said:

"Don't come and don't bring black people to my games"

We can all hear. :roll::roll::roll::roll:

ZenMaster
04-29-2014, 08:31 PM
No, its not. At all.

Yes it is because the meaning is in the private sphere of their relationships.

KungFuJoe
04-29-2014, 08:34 PM
I just meant that, right now, being a homophobe is FAR FAR FAR less "offensive" to the general public than being a racist.

Look at all the anti-gay marriage debate going on. You have POLITICIANS that support this that get REelected.

Can you imagine what would happen to a politician that openly stated he was against black people? He/she would be crucified.

I personally hate racists AND homophobes.

ZenMaster
04-29-2014, 08:34 PM

The Orlando owner made the same type of contributions and supposedly he's signing off on Sterling has to go, so apparently it's not a problem within the NBA being anti-gay.

PejaNowitzki
04-29-2014, 08:37 PM
Phil Robertson anyone?

And he was roundly criticized and took a major backlash for it and now their show ratings are lower than before.

COnDEMnED
04-29-2014, 08:37 PM
Yeah I think he would, because the bible doesn't say that.
Actually, I think it says they should be stoned to death, but it says the same thing about people who eat shrimp and lobster. So...you know..only complete weirdos take the book literally and not as a book of morals. Anyone who believes Jonah lived in a whale for days without drowning isn't someone you'd leave around children..

AintNoSunshine
04-29-2014, 09:07 PM
Well, is 70% of the league gay?

livinglegend
04-29-2014, 09:17 PM
At one time he said:

"Don't come and don't bring black people to my games"

We can all hear. :roll::roll::roll::roll:

Are you serious?
listen to the whole tape. He said dont bring black people to my games because he doesnt want her to be seen publicly with black people. It s not because he doesnt want black people crowd in Clippers game.
Quotes without context dont mean anything.

Laker4Lyfe
04-29-2014, 09:22 PM
Are you serious?
listen to the whole tape. He said dont bring black people to my games because he doesnt want her to be seen publicly with black people. It s not because he doesnt want black people crowd in Clippers game.
Quotes without context dont mean anything.

I know.. he's not racist he's just misunderstood. :facepalm

Rubio2Gasol
04-29-2014, 09:23 PM
Lets be real, he was mad at his girl not respecting his privacy, the black people nonsense was exogenous. He is one hundred percent racist scum, but those tapes really didn't sound like fuc.k black people to me.

It sounded like fuc.k you for twisting my words and being a frustrating bitch, racist comments slipped out in the heat of the argument.

BrownEye007
04-29-2014, 09:27 PM
I'm assuming you're referring to when he said "no homo"? If so that wasn't a homophobic comment and he shouldn't have even had to apologize for it. Dude made a joke and a funny one at that.

PejaNowitzki
04-29-2014, 09:27 PM
I just meant that, right now, being a homophobe is FAR FAR FAR less "offensive" to the general public than being a racist.

Look at all the anti-gay marriage debate going on. You have POLITICIANS that support this that get REelected.

Can you imagine what would happen to a politician that openly stated he was against black people? He/she would be crucified.

I don't think being anti-gay marriage makes you a homophobe. There are those like my parents who simply believe in traditional marriage and they won't change. Neither of them would ever mistreat someone who is gay, it's just the way their privately held beliefs are. I don't think it makes them bad people by any means.

I see there being a major difference from someone who goes out looking for gay people to beat up or berate and someone who personally opposes gay marriage.

This statement makes quite a few good points that I do agree with.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2014/04/22/freedom_to_marry_freedom_to_dissent_why_we_must_ha ve_both_122376.html

ZenMaster
04-29-2014, 09:36 PM
I don't think being anti-gay marriage makes you a homophobe. There are those like my parents who simply believe in traditional marriage and they won't change. Neither of them would ever mistreat someone who is gay, it's just the way their privately held beliefs are. I don't think it makes them bad people by any means.

I see there being a major difference from someone who goes out looking for gay people to beat up or berate and someone who personally opposes gay marriage.

This statement makes quite a few good points that I do agree with.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2014/04/22/freedom_to_marry_freedom_to_dissent_why_we_must_ha ve_both_122376.html

Sure it does, marriage is a right for everyone, even criminals and people who aren't religious have that right.
Not wanting people to marry because both are male or female is discrimination, pure and simple.

MavsSuperFan
04-29-2014, 10:24 PM
Of course not. This is the NBA 75% of the league is black. Most studies indicate that around 10% of any population is gay. I tend to think athletics would have a lower population of gays than the general population, but that is just a guess. I see no evidence that athletics would have a higher proportion of gays.

The racism affected at least 75% of the league. Homophobia would affect far less of the league.

If donald sterling worked at vogue magazine or something, im sure homophobic comments would have been more detrimental to him.

ZenMaster
04-29-2014, 10:35 PM
Of course not. This is the NBA 75% of the league is black. Most studies indicate that around 10% of any population is gay. I tend to think athletics would have a lower population of gays than the general population, but that is just a guess. I see no evidence that athletics would have a higher proportion of gays.

The racism affected at least 75% of the league. Homophobia would affect far less of the league.

If donald sterling worked at vogue magazine or something, im sure homophobic comments would have been more detrimental to him.

So the smaller the minority the more "OK" it is to suppress them?

KOBEtherealKing
04-29-2014, 10:37 PM
Let's see.... Don't being fvgs/fvgots to my arena. Do you have to associate with queer people... Yeah if he said something like that it would be a big deal.

PejaNowitzki
04-29-2014, 10:50 PM
Sure it does, marriage is a right for everyone, even criminals and people who aren't religious have that right.
Not wanting people to marry because both are male or female is discrimination, pure and simple.

We can agree to disagree. Personally I couldn't care less about who gets married to who, I even support polygamy but I'm not going to judge people who oppose marriage equality based on religious or other principles.

Now if someone is going out gay bashing, tossing around f%%%t, then we're going to have an issue but part of living in this society is understanding that people will always have different viewpoints and I don't see devout Muslims, Orthodox Jews or Christians ever supporting gay marriage. I don't think that it makes them hateful or that they should be shunned for it though. Its their opinion and they have a right to do it, even if I disagree with it.

ZenMaster
04-29-2014, 10:59 PM
We can agree to disagree. Personally I couldn't care less about who gets married to who, I even support polygamy but I'm not going to judge people who oppose marriage equality based on religious or other principles.

Now if someone is going out gay bashing, tossing around f%%%t, then we're going to have an issue but part of living in this society is understanding that people will always have different viewpoints and I don't see devout Muslims, Orthodox Jews or Christians ever supporting gay marriage. I don't think that it makes them hateful or that they should be shunned for it though. Its their opinion and they have a right to do it, even if I disagree with it.

You seem smart, but that is a very hypocritical stance. If I'm getting it right, you're defending taking away gays rights because of you're parents/upbringing.
You can defend taking away their rights through religion, but it is suppression.

InfiniteBaskets
04-30-2014, 10:55 AM

The smaller the minority the less the public backlash and the less damage control you have to do. I believe Sterling would not have gotten nearly as much of a punishment had he said "Don't bring polygamous Mormons to my games, I hate everything that they stand for, and they all smell bad".

NoGunzJustSkillz
04-30-2014, 11:12 AM
I think he would have received a large fine for a homophobic remark, and no ban.
The NBA is full of black people, not homosexuals. The uproar would not be as big IMO.
exactly

stanlove1111
04-30-2014, 11:19 AM
No, its not. At all.
\

You are the type of moron that's creates this nonsense. IF you can't se the difference then you can't see anything..

stanlove1111
04-30-2014, 11:23 AM
I'm assuming you're referring to when he said "no homo"? If so that wasn't a homophobic comment and he shouldn't have even had to apologize for it. Dude made a joke and a funny one at that.

Not this again. Another one who does know the term HOMO is a gay slur and has been used as one for a long time.

The joke wasn't funny at all, because it wasn't funny or original. But I believe he just showed his ignorance and it wasn't a big deal. But when I see someone claim that using the term HOMO is not a gay slur I see a moron.

BrooklynZoo
04-30-2014, 11:42 AM

Are you kidding me? Every black player and everyone who wanted to be PC and didn't want to be crucified backed his banning. Unfortunately anyone who votes against the forced sale of the team will be vilified.

tmacattack33
04-30-2014, 12:21 PM

Come on bro...Kobe said the word "f@ggot" when he was frustrated and Hibbert made a pretty funny no homo joke about the defense "stretching him out" :oldlol:

Neither of them had an hour long conversation about why they think gay people are inferior humans.

Edit: Actually, i only heard 8 minutes of it...and in a way it seems like his words were twisted and he never really said he didn't like black people...he just said that its not a good look to be seen with black people...but now let's be honest, he refused to sell homes to black people and has a history of hating blacks, so we all know his true feelings

Dresta
04-30-2014, 12:22 PM
The smaller the minority the less the public backlash and the less damage control you have to do. I believe Sterling would not have gotten nearly as much of a punishment had he said "Don't bring polygamous Mormons to my games, I hate everything that they stand for, and they all smell bad".
The smaller the minority the greater protection it should need if you think about it. That's why women trying to play themselves off as a minority group is so :lol

Dresta
04-30-2014, 12:26 PM

So you're saying this is a case of a majority (black nba athletes) picking on a tiny minority (rich, old, racist jewish men) for his opinion?

Sounds fair.

MavsSuperFan
04-30-2014, 12:28 PM
Of course not from a moral perspective.

Of course from a practical perspective.

Vancouver-Grizz
04-30-2014, 12:31 PM

I agree 100%...

The racist talk is non-tolerable due to the history of slavery and that the league players are mostly black men which would mimic slavery in a different angle.

Homophobic slurs would be different as gays are not widely accepted as of yet and racism/slavery is condemned.

MavsSuperFan
04-30-2014, 12:37 PM
exactly. It doesnt mean discriminating against mormons is any more morally or ethically justifiable.

But they are a quieter, smaller, demographic group than african americans. Especially in relation to the NBA

MavsSuperFan
04-30-2014, 12:41 PM
So you're saying this is a case of a majority (black nba athletes) picking on a tiny minority (rich, old, racist jewish men) for his opinion?

Sounds fair.
You could argue that, personally I think its totally fair to hold sterlings racist opinions against him.

Frankly if all the black players (especially on the clippers) did was complain on twitter and in interviews and that inside out jersey gimmick, I would think less of them, for not doing more to get rid of sterling.

NumberSix
04-30-2014, 12:41 PM

That's actually an outdated discredited estimate from back when nobody how many gay people there are. All recent stats now that people are openly gay and it's easier to study show that it's around 3%. That honestly still seems a bit high, but it's certainly more plausible than 10%, which has always been laughable.

Bandito
04-30-2014, 12:42 PM
Would Sterling get banned if he made comments that OP a ****** instead?

NumberSix
04-30-2014, 12:45 PM
The smaller the minority the greater protection it should need if you think about it. That's why women trying to play themselves off as a minority group is so :lol
The whole "minority" classification is so arbitrary. EVERYBODY has some aspect about them which isn't in line with the majority of the population.

livinglegend
04-30-2014, 12:51 PM
Let s be real, 90% of people hating on Sterling didnt even hear the 9 minutes tape. They only read out of context quotes from media and make their judgement based on that.

If Sterling was really racist, he wouldn't tell that girl that he doesn't mind her doing anything she wants with black people privately. He wouldnt say that he admires Magic.
He was only concerned about his image in front of his friends and that was the only reason why he told her to dont show herself with minorities publicly. That doesnt make him a good person, but also doesnt make him racist.

PistonsFan#21
04-30-2014, 12:58 PM
Let s be real, 90% of people hating on Sterling didnt even hear the 9 minutes tape. They only read out of context quotes from media and make their judgement based on that.

If Sterling was really racist, he wouldn't tell that girl that he doesn't mind her doing anything she wants with black people privately. He wouldnt say that he admires Magic.
He was only concerned about his image in front of his friends and that was the only reason why he told her to dont show herself with minorities publicly. That doesnt make him a good person, but also doesnt make him racist.

Asking her to not bring any minorities to a his basketball games (including Magic Johnson) is a clear example of racism. No matter how you try to word it or twist it

livinglegend
04-30-2014, 01:02 PM
Asking her to not bring any minorities to a his basketball games (including Magic Johnson) is a clear example of racism. No matter how you try to word it or twist it

It s not if you hear the whole tape and hear the reason why he said that.

PistonsFan#21
04-30-2014, 01:11 PM
It s not if you hear the whole tape and hear the reason why he said that.

i did hear the whole tape including the extended clip...You are trying to justify his racist remarks but fact remains that its still racist remarks. How are you even trying to deny that asking to not have any minorities coming to your games isnt racist?

3peated
04-30-2014, 01:12 PM
no he would just be fined. it's sort of a double standard, i'm not gay so i can't say that being gay is a decision, i guess that's something they cannot change.

PistonsFan#21
04-30-2014, 01:20 PM
no he would just be fined. it's sort of a double standard, i'm not gay so i can't say that being gay is a decision, i guess that's something they cannot change.

If the league was 80% gay and he said dont bring any queers to my games then he would have the same sanctions.

dude77
04-30-2014, 01:44 PM
If the league was 80% gay and he said dont bring any queers to my games then he would have the same sanctions.

lol so this has nothing to do with being the 'good guy' and looking out for other people .. just mob rule ..

do think we should just stay quiet and look the other way if blacks were being discriminated against if they were '15%' of the nba ? ..

like someone else said .. if it's an even smaller segment of people, you would think they would be protected even more since they can get shit on much easier

stanlove1111
04-30-2014, 01:50 PM

No worrying about what you friends say about it does not make you a racist. How can you not understand that?

Dresta
04-30-2014, 01:51 PM
This is nonsense buddy. What does the league being 80% black have to do with anything (even if half of that 80% is as much white as black)? If this was cricket or tennis (sports with a small percentage of black players) and the same kind of thing happened, you would still get a similar result. This has nothing to do with how many black players there are in the league.

Dresta
04-30-2014, 01:54 PM
The whole "minority" classification is so arbitrary. EVERYBODY has some aspect about them which isn't in line with the majority of the population.
Tis true. I'm part of what is currently the most persecuted minority in Western countries, that is, a smoker. Someone needs to set up some kind of minority protection program for us poor devils.

ILLsmak
04-30-2014, 01:58 PM
...right

well it's not lol. It was only to that girl. As in don't go places where people can photograph you.

It's def wrong, def ****ed up, but he didn't try to ban black people from his games that's luls.

-Smak

GimmeThat
04-30-2014, 02:14 PM
This is nonsense buddy. What does the league being 80% black have to do with anything (even if half of that 80% is as much white as black)? If this was cricket or tennis (sports with a small percentage of black players) and the same kind of thing happened, you would still get a similar result. This has nothing to do with how many black players there are in the league.

True.

but I think the process WOULD eventually take longer than say with racism. Because of the lack of openly homosexual players, and with presumably less fan base.

the issue would not be near as urgent for Adam Silver to act on it, and I wouldn't be shocked that as time passed by, people let the issue go and just regard him as less of an owner, bad reputation for the franchise and get fined.

fundamentally are they the same? Yes

But sometimes it IS how you handle/control the media, as well as the nature of the subject and how the media determines to let it play out based upon the media business model/cycle.

It reflects the state of our society right now, where while it reflects we've made tremendous progress on the subject of race, I personally think we are still behind on the issue of homosexuality.

guy
04-30-2014, 02:32 PM

His image in front of his friends? Like I told someone else, he isn't a teenage girl. If he was that concerned about his image in front of his friends, why the hell is he sitting courtside and having an affair with someone of a different ethnicity? :oldlol:

rmt
04-30-2014, 06:43 PM
KAJ has it right. I was surprised at his comments, but realize that he is for TRUE freedom and that applies to all. This country is based on freedom of religion, speech, etc. Who amongst us has said things in private that they would not want aired in public? Do you really think that black people don't make racial comments too? This was a private conversation, in the privacy of his home(?) and not for public consumption. I think it's laughable - now anybody whose opinion is asked is "forced" to conform and spout some racially correct comment no matter what they really think.

As Cuban said, it's a slippery slope. When people are persecuted for what they say or think. And to strip some one of his property for some comments made in private without knowledge of being taped (illegal in CA) is going too far. Unfortunately, that's what will happen. The owners will be forced to vote against Sterling no matter what they really think/feel - because whoever votes for him and word gets out, they also will be trashed.