PDA

View Full Version : Kareem-Abdul-Jabbar thoughts on Sterling.

Sharmer
04-29-2014, 07:52 PM
[QUOTE]And now the poor guy

STATUTORY
04-29-2014, 07:53 PM
kareem has always been a cerebral intellectual minded person.

this won't be a popular thread, no pitchforks here

Mr. Jabbar
04-29-2014, 07:54 PM
:cheers:

oarabbus
04-29-2014, 07:54 PM
Slippery slop to ban a owner for saying something in private, which was recorded without his knowledge. This 80 yo was clearly baited and provoked through out the recordings. Not that I agree with the what he said.This is going to get dragged into the courts.The issue is not as simple as media have made it out to be. Serious issues on freedom of speech are raised here. Does a citizen have the right to maintain private conversation? Should a citizen have their private business taken away from them for comments made in his home.

I would like to think yes, but if that **** gets leaked than apparently not. "Fruit of the forbidden tree" only applies in a legal setting and he was tried in a social court.

Dresta
04-29-2014, 08:06 PM
The man has a way with words :cheers:

lakerspng
04-29-2014, 08:07 PM
I do agree that she violated his rights of privacy. It is not legal to tape someone without their consent. She is clearly just trying to make a buck. I can't believe he fell for the awful and obvious baiting she was leading him with on the tape. I mean come on. After all this time, he's really that stupid? The worst B-Movie writer in Hollywood couldn't have come up with the pathetic crap she was saying to get him to express his bigotry.

He has a right to his point of view, as messed up and distasteful as we may find it.

The league is within its rights to take the actions they did to preserve their business.

She was not within her rights to tape and air a private conversation without his permission.

She will face a massive lawsuit from him. He will lose his team. His players and the rest of the organization may gain back their pride and dignity not having to work and make money for such a POS. All in all though, just goes to show how messed up our society is.

Deuce Bigalow
04-29-2014, 08:08 PM
:applause:

kidd2dwill
04-29-2014, 08:08 PM

zoom17
04-29-2014, 08:09 PM
Kareem see through the media sheep not a sterling fan just so sick of this sterling story.

longtime lurker
04-29-2014, 08:09 PM
Slippery slop to ban a owner for saying something in private, which was recorded without his knowledge. This 80 yo was clearly baited and provoked through out the recordings. Not that I agree with the what he said.This is going to get dragged into the courts.The issue is not as simple as media have made it out to be. Serious issues on freedom of speech are raised here. Does a citizen have the right to maintain private conversation? Should a citizen have their private business taken away from them for comments made in his home.

1. I've heard that he knew she was taping the conversation so yeah he's an idiot.
2. Donald Sterling is in the public eye and sorry but the same rules don't apply to people in the public sphere. Just ask Mel Gibson or Kobe.
3. Freedom of speech doesn't give you immunity to say whatever you want.
4. Is it too much to ask that Sterling not be racist? :confusedshrug:
5. If he really knew she was taping the conversation then he's a bigger idiot for still saying all that

dude77
04-29-2014, 08:10 PM
the more I think about it, the more I really think this was massive overkill .. .. this was a private conversation and it sounds like she set him up .. how about letting the guy give some kind of explanation ? .. nothing .. bam .. you're out .. can't come to games, you're off your own property and you gotta sell the team .. wtf lol

KungFuJoe
04-29-2014, 08:13 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/history/legends/kareem-abdul-jabbar/abdul-jabbar-608.jpg

eliteballer
04-29-2014, 08:16 PM

Post the entire article.

WallIn
04-29-2014, 08:17 PM
Can't ****in believe it, I wake up to Sterling's sex tape, pick up the newspaper...Sterling, I open up the fridge and there's fukin Sterling. Media are truly disgusting

AnaheimLakers24
04-29-2014, 08:18 PM
ex and current lakers legends are so wise. greatest franchuse ever

DMAVS41
04-29-2014, 08:18 PM
Kareem gets it.

Destroyer9
04-29-2014, 08:20 PM
GOAT gonna GOAT

PsychoBe
04-29-2014, 08:20 PM
sterling has the right to say whatever he wants in the privacy of his own home and the nba (as well as anyone else) has the right to react to it anyway they want to it. freedom of speech and expression works both ways and people never seem to realize that.

Noob Saibot
04-29-2014, 08:24 PM
Kareem is a modern day Yoda or Raiden :bowdown:

La Frescobaldi
04-29-2014, 08:29 PM
I thought so for 40 years until Andrew Bynum.

Marchesk
04-29-2014, 08:31 PM
sterling has the right to say whatever he wants in the privacy of his own home and the nba (as well as anyone else) has the right to react to it anyway they want to it. freedom of speech and expression works both ways and people never seem to realize that.

Yeah, nobody's going to jail for any of that. We get it. Some of us also have a right to express our opinion that people tend to overreact, and the media loves feeding off that.

PejaNowitzki
04-29-2014, 08:32 PM
1. I've heard that he knew she was taping the conversation so yeah he's an idiot.

Who has made this claim? People keep making it but the only place I've seen it come from is her own attorney.

In California, unless she has proof that he consented to being recorded, she will have some trouble.

russwest0
04-29-2014, 08:49 PM
Just when I thought I couldn't respect the many any more... Kareem :bowdown:

Sharmer
04-29-2014, 08:49 PM
2. Donald Sterling is in the public eye and sorry but the same rules don't apply to people in the public sphere. Just ask Mel Gibson or Kobe.
3. Freedom of speech doesn't give you immunity to say whatever you want.
4. Is it too much to ask that Sterling not be racist? :confusedshrug:
5. If he really knew she was taping the conversation then he's a bigger idiot for still saying all that

It would be different if the comments were made in a public arena. But they were made in his private home and such comments should be entitled to remain private. This is a right that I have and all people in a democratic society. The media should not have the power to release comments made in private without consent. If a person is involved in a private conversation, it should remain private. The media seem to believe, that they have absolute power to make private discussions public. This challenges the first amendment right of freedom of speech.

If we are not free to speak what we want to in our own homes, then we don't live a free democratic society.

PejaNowitzki
04-29-2014, 08:50 PM
It would be different if the comments where made in a public arena. But they were made in his private home and such comments should be entitled to remain private. This is a right that I have and all people in a democratic society. The media should not have the power to release comments made in private without consent. If a person is involved in a private conversation, it should remain private. The media seem to believe, that they have absolute power to make private discussions public. This challenges the first amendment right of freedom of speech.

If we are not free to speak what we want to in our own homes, then we don't live a free democratic society.

Should the Watergate tapes have not been exposed by the media?

"The media seem to believe, that they have absolute power to make private discussions public. This challenges the first amendment right of freedom of speech."

No it doesn't challenge anything. Your Right to free speech begins and ends in regards to the government. The media is not part of the government, therefore it does not apply to them. What you and others seem to be arguing for is a "Right to No Consequences Resulting From Your Own Speech."

Now it was shady for the ex-gf to record Sterling the way she did, but its a legal matter between him and her, its irrelevant how the tape got out, it did get out, became public and it started costing the NBA financially and reputation-wise so they had to do something.

oarabbus
04-29-2014, 08:52 PM
It would be different if the comments were made in a public arena. But they were made in his private home and such comments should be entitled to remain private. This is a right that I have and all people in a democratic society. The media should not have the power to release comments made in private without consent. If a person is involved in a private conversation, it should remain private. The media seem to believe, that they have absolute power to make private discussions public. This challenges the first amendment right of freedom of speech.

Do you live in a cave? Have you heard of the NSA? :biggums:

zizozain
04-29-2014, 08:57 PM
G.O.A.T

------

On November 22 and 23rd, 1967, a national Black Youth Conference was held in Los Angeles

PejaNowitzki
04-29-2014, 08:59 PM
Do you live in a cave? Have you heard of the NSA? :biggums:

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

dude77
04-29-2014, 09:01 PM

this is a good point .. the damage is done but he can go after tmz or whatever other media outlet leaked and played this tape for the public .. this can't be legal

mr.big35
04-29-2014, 09:04 PM
its good to hear that he didnt went the victim mentality. he used facts instead of emotions

dude77
04-29-2014, 09:06 PM
[QUOTE=zizozain]He was shooting on the street

SpecialQue
04-29-2014, 09:10 PM
If anyone wants to read the whole thing:

http://time.com/79590/donald-sterling-kareem-abdul-jabbar-racism/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+time%2Ftopstories+%28TIME%3A+ Top+Stories%29

tmacattack33
04-29-2014, 09:11 PM
Kareem seems like a smart guy.

:applause: :rockon:

Sharmer
04-29-2014, 09:13 PM
Should the Watergate tapes have not been exposed by the media?

No it doesn't challenge anything. Your Right to free speech begins and ends in regards to the government. The media is not part of the government, therefore it does not apply to them. What you and others seem to be arguing for is a "Right to No Consequences Resulting From Your Own Speech."

Now it was shady for the ex-gf to record Sterling the way she did, but its a legal matter between him and her, its irrelevant how the tape got out, it did get out, became public and it started costing the NBA financially and reputation-wise so they had to do something.

What you say in home, should remain private. Especially when the discussion is strictly between a couple.

If I owned a private business, what I say to my partner in private should remain confidential and private.

The courts will determine this. Whist I disagree 100% with his thoughts, I think he has a very strong case.

The media is also subject to a number of laws of relating to privacy. The rights of individuals are protected from actions of the media through libel law, invasion of privacy law, and guarantees of a fair trial.

rhythmic
04-29-2014, 09:14 PM
I'm disgraced that Magic is my idol to be honest.
Kareem dropping some knowledge on retards like Jordan and Magic. :applause:

Is Sterling guilty? Yes.
Is the 2.5 million fine justified? I think so.
Should we ban the guy for life? Give me a break.

If Stern was the commish this shit would never happen. Silver is taking the opportunity to carve his own legacy. This decision is a disgrace.

Ban him for a year, but not life ove something that honestly wasn't this offensive after I carefully listened to the 10 minutes conversation. That bitch clearly tried to bait him, asking him the SAME questions over and over again but tried to create a smoke-screen by pretending they were trying to work on their relationship.

Law of California states, both parties must be in consent to recording a private conversation. This girl will get sued for a lot more than the 1.8 million dollars Sterling's wife is suing her for. And I hope she losses.

I agree Sterling is guilty but don't think the crime fits the punishment...not even close, and like KAJ said; there's two crimes being committed here.

Initially, I thought the conversation was disturbing but after a 2nd listen...I have 2 conclusions.

1) It sounded more like Sterling was concerned about his image in regards to his associates who are racist. He never said to not bring black people around him, he clearly asked he to not publicize herself with black people. This leads me to believe, he cares about his image around his friends who are clearly racist.

2) She clearly tried to bait him. For 10 minutes, after Sterling basically wanted to change the subject she'd pause and than repeat the question, trying to make it sound like she wants a solution. Instead she was clearly recording this the entire time.

oarabbus
04-29-2014, 09:15 PM
What you say in home, should remain private. Especially when the discussion is strictly between a couple.

If I owned a private business, what I say to my partner in private should remain confidential and private.

The courts will determine this. Whist I disagree 100% with his thoughts, I think he has a very strong case.

The media is also subject to a number of laws of relating to privacy. The rights of individuals are protected from actions of the media through libel law, invasion of privacy law, and guarantees of a fair trial.

In the "News of the World" phone hacking scandal it was found that the media in that case was actually hacking into private, personal files. I don't think the media has any obligation to not publish recordings that were brought to them. Only the individual who illegally made the recording (in this case the GF) has legal liability.

and regarding that NSA comment, I do agree with your premise that private conversations made in the home should remain private. We don't live in that society though, and it's better to acknowledge it than pretend we do live in a society where our "rights" aren't meaningless.

Just2McFly
04-29-2014, 09:16 PM
I get what he's saying but ugh....

Sharmer
04-29-2014, 09:32 PM
In the "News of the World" phone hacking scandal it was found that the media in that case was actually hacking into private, personal files. I don't think the media has any obligation to not publish recordings that were brought to them. Only the individual who illegally made the recording (in this case the GF) has legal liability.

and regarding that NSA comment, I do agree with your premise that private conversations made in the home should remain private. We don't live in that society though, and it's better to acknowledge it than pretend we do live in a society where our "rights" aren't meaningless.

That's why we should fight for our rights. Whilst we are not free in the true sense of the word, we should all fight to preserve our freedoms.

This is a very complicated situation, and the media have taken a complex situation and turned it into a narrative of racism.

We all say things at home, to our partners, which we wouldn't say in public.

robert de niro
04-29-2014, 09:33 PM
Can't ****in believe it, I wake up to Sterling's sex tape, pick up the newspaper...Sterling, I open up the fridge and there's fukin Sterling. Media are truly disgusting
:lol

PejaNowitzki
04-29-2014, 09:40 PM

It should remain private, doesn't mean that it will remain private. As I said, Sterling has a legal case with his ex but that has nothing to do with the NBA or the general public. Spouses will often secretly record their significant others in support of and preparation for a divorce settlement, that isn't right either but it happens, its reality.

Agreed, in a perfect world, in a not so perfect world, a business partner blackmails you in order to get a bigger share of the business.

He has a case, not a strong one though. Basically his very existence in the NBA started costing them money, there's nothing he can do to argue past that. Forcing him to sell the team might have been a bridge too far for the NBA but only time will tell.

You're using terms you really don't seem to understand. The media replaying a tape acquired from a third source is not libel in anyway. Unless the media has somehow doctored the audiotape such as in the Zimmerman case, there is nothing prohibiting them from making any such tape publicly available.

Legally there is nothing that can be done about the media in this case. However the ex could be in a lot of hot water in civil court should Sterling choose to go down that road.

iTare
04-29-2014, 09:49 PM
Skyhooking above the the bullshit.:bowdown:

Sharmer
04-29-2014, 10:03 PM
It should remain private, doesn't mean that it will remain private. As I said, Sterling has a legal case with his ex but that has nothing to do with the NBA or the general public. Spouses will often secretly record their significant others in support of and preparation for a divorce settlement, that isn't right either but it happens, its reality.

Agreed, in a perfect world, in a not so perfect world, a business partner blackmails you in order to get a bigger share of the business.

He has a case, not a strong one though. Basically his very existence in the NBA started costing them money, there's nothing he can do to argue past that. Forcing him to sell the team might have been a bridge too far for the NBA but only time will tell.

You're using terms you really don't seem to understand. The media replaying a tape acquired from a third source is not libel in anyway. Unless the media has somehow doctored the audiotape such as in the Zimmerman case, there is nothing prohibiting them from making any such tape publicly available.

Legally there is nothing that can be done about the media in this case. However the ex could be in a lot of hot water in civil court should Sterling choose to go down that road.

You understand its illegal to blackmail.

It seems that you are arguing that because in reality things happen, such a invasion of privacy and blackmail, we should let it go.

Straight_Ballin
04-29-2014, 10:09 PM

Too bad their fans don't share the same wisdom!

Proof how bad that fan base is:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ipfzvlgMcNE

Andrew Wiggins
04-29-2014, 10:14 PM
private thoughts or not, the comments were made (perhaps illegally) public but they're out there and he was tried in the court of public opinion. it's causing the nba to loser sponsors at a drastic rate and in turn bleeding them money

the bottom line is it's bad for business to keep him involved and they'll do anything they can to get him out.

it's no different to board members getting voted out of corporations for scandals in their personal life

it's hilarious how many of you americans throw around the term freedom of speech as if that means that there will be no consequences to what you say. :lol

PejaNowitzki
04-29-2014, 10:23 PM
You understand its illegal to blackmail.

It seems that you are arguing that because in reality things happen, such a invasion of privacy and blackmail, we should let it go.

Blackmail or not, private or not, once that tape got into the public sphere, the NBA HAD to do something. The Clippers lost literally every single sponsor they had. There was no going back.

Any issues of the legality of that tape are strictly between Sterling and the gold-digger and nobody else right now.

Not sure what your solution here was, to leave Sterling alone and allow the NBA and the Clippers to keep taking it on the chin and make a bad situation far far worse? This was going to be bad eitherway but the NBA at least stepped up and strongly condemned Sterling for his comments and that his views did not represent those of the NBA's and they would not be associating any further.

Dresta
04-29-2014, 10:56 PM

Nobody is arguing that. And as well as not infringing legally on your right free speech, the government is also meant to protect an individuals right to speak freely from coercion by other individuals (the mob). This is not an expression of disapproval and condemnation: it is a mass hounding, that has very far reaching consequence that you don't seem capable of grasping.

Simple Jack
04-30-2014, 01:27 AM
Nobody is arguing that. And as well as not infringing legally on your right free speech, the government is also meant to protect an individuals right to speak freely from coercion by other individuals (the mob). This is not an expression of disapproval and condemnation: it is a mass hounding, that has very far reaching consequence that you don't seem capable of grasping.

He has a legal cause of action against her for recording the conversation without his consent (if that's what happened). On top of that, if there was some litigation against him for his racist remarks, the phone call wouldn't be admissible in court. The fact that it's out there though can't be ignored. The league can't just turn around and act like it never happened; there are consequences for putting shit like this out there...maybe not in a direct legal sense, but certainly indirectly like is the case here with the NBA.

dreamwarrior
04-30-2014, 01:38 AM
The man owns a franchise. If an owner of a Taco Bell's racist comments against Mexicans become national headlines, I'm pretty sure Taco Bell's going to ban him from his own franchise as well.

ZenMaster
04-30-2014, 01:38 AM
He has a legal cause of action against her for recording the conversation without his consent (if that's what happened). On top of that, if there was some litigation against him for his racist remarks, the phone call wouldn't be admissible in court. The fact that it's out there though can't be ignored. The league can't just turn around and act like it never happened; there are consequences for putting shit like this out there...maybe not in a direct legal sense, but certainly indirectly like is the case here with the NBA.

There should be consequences, but maybe we've reached a point in technology and media in which the consequences are sometimes too harsh and too easy to obtain.
You're seeing society change before your very eyes in terms of how fast a twitter execution can take place.

NumberSix
04-30-2014, 01:45 AM
You can be guaranteed that she is going to be sued for leaking that tape.

dreamwarrior
04-30-2014, 01:46 AM
It's not illegal to record a conversation if the person doing the recording is involved in the conversation.

NumberSix
04-30-2014, 01:47 AM
Just wait until NSA leaks start happening and ruining people's lives for saying things that the media has deemed unacceptable thought.

KingBeasley08
04-30-2014, 01:48 AM
Not really. All the illegal recording means is that Sterling can't be tried or convicted for any crimes he admits to in the tape. The NBA can pretty much do whatever they want to him because they're a corporation at the end of the day trying to protect their brand, not send the dude to jail.

I think an example would be if a tape of me was leaked where I hated on homosexuals and other minorities, my employer could kick me out regardless of how that information was obtained.

NumberSix
04-30-2014, 01:48 AM
It's not illegal to record a conversation if the person doing the recording is involved in the conversation.
How about you actually research the laws in California instead of just pulling nonsense out of your ass? I mean, you obviously have an internet connection. It's not hard to do. :hammerhead:

ZenMaster
04-30-2014, 01:52 AM
Just wait until NSA leaks start happening and ruining people's lives for saying things that the media has deemed unacceptable thought.

I want to know which player called Collins a *** or something like that on the court after comming out, he said it happened but didn't say who, only called him a knucklehead.
That player CLEARLY has no place in the NBA being a bigot.

NumberSix
04-30-2014, 01:54 AM
Not really. All the illegal recording means is that Sterling can't be tried or convicted for any crimes he admits to in the tape. The NBA can pretty much do whatever they want to him because they're a corporation at the end of the day trying to protect their brand, not send the dude to jail.

I think an example would be if a tape of me was leaked where I hated on homosexuals and other minorities, my employer could kick me out regardless of how that information was obtained.
It also means that the person who illegally recorded and released it is liable for any damages that result of their actions.

Trollsmasher
04-30-2014, 02:11 AM
Kareem nailing it, exactly my thoughts:applause:

Simple Jack
04-30-2014, 02:12 AM

In certain jurisdictions, it absolutely is.

KingBeasley08
04-30-2014, 03:06 AM
It also means that the person who illegally recorded and released it is liable for any damages that result of their actions.
Sure and that hoe is gonna get hers.

Just realized I'm arguing something else. Never mind

dreamwarrior
04-30-2014, 03:29 AM
In certain jurisdictions, it absolutely is.
The last time this has gone to court it was ruled unconstitutional to require both parties to consent to a recording. So good luck with that

MMM
04-30-2014, 03:38 AM
so is this chick gonna be sued for everything she is worth???

Sharmer
04-30-2014, 04:24 AM
The man owns a franchise. If an owner of a Taco Bell's racist comments against Mexicans become national headlines, I'm pretty sure Taco Bell's going to ban him from his own franchise as well.

If the Taco bell owner made the comments in his own home to his wife or partner, then such comments should be kept private, and they should have no impact on his day to day business. Now if he's wife/partner baited him into making comments only to go public for financial gain. The this should further diminish the significance of the recordings.

The media are not critically evaluating this situation. It's much more complicated then just racists comments.

We should not have our rights to express individual opinions in our own homes infringed upon.

9erempiree
04-30-2014, 04:28 AM
If the Taco bell owner made the comments in his own home to his wife or partner, then such comments should be kept private, and they should have no impact on his day to day business. Now if he's wife/partner baited him into making comments only to go public for financial gain. The this should further diminish the significance of the recordings.

The media are not critically evaluating this situation. It's much more complicated then just racists comments.

We should not have our rights to express individual opinions in our own homes infringed upon.

The bolded is the most important. This will open up a new can of worms. I can see couples secretly recording their spouses and releasing it to employers.

This parallels the discussion of whether employers can use your Facebook during the hiring process. What if you have to friend them before they hire you?

Things should be kept private and because of social media and these TMZ/WORLDSTAR sites, it encourages people to put others on blast.

Sharmer
04-30-2014, 04:31 AM
The bolded is the most important. This will open up a new can of worms. I can see couples secretly recording their spouses and releasing it to employers.

This parallels the discussion of whether employers can use your Facebook during the hiring process. What if you have to friend them before they hire you?

Things should be kept private and because of social media and these TMZ/WORLDSTAR sites, it encourages people to put others on blast.

The bigger theme here is that we are losing our freedoms. The media and the gov't are the winners.

9erempiree
04-30-2014, 04:55 AM
I think protecting our rights to privacy is much more important than preventing racism. You cannot prevent racism but we can prevent our privacy from being taken away.

If these tapes are not admissible in court then it should not be admissible in the NBA. We have the freedom of speech but it doesn't mean we can call our bosses names and not expect to be fired but since these tapes are illegal and not admissible in court than the NBA can't make this decision because Sterling was in his private home.

Another example, UPS/FEDEX can fire their drivers for obtaining a Drinking Under the Influence (DUI), if found guilty in court. You can be driving drunk and the case gets dismissed, it means they can't fire you. Unless proven guilty of the crime.

It is not a crime to be racist, it is a moral crime but not a crime that can be used against him. It was said in his private home. Just like you shouldn't be fired for telling your wife how hard it was at work -or- how much of a douche your boss is.

This may be the final nail in the coffin for me. May really be done with the NBA here. Too much shady business. If it didn't involve a bunch of money, I don't think they would care.

Sharmer
04-30-2014, 05:13 AM
I think protecting our rights to privacy is much more important than preventing racism. You cannot prevent racism but we can prevent our privacy from being taken away.

If these tapes are not admissible in court then it should not be admissible in the NBA. We have the freedom of speech but it doesn't mean we can call our bosses names and not expect to be fired but since these tapes are illegal and not admissible in court than the NBA can't make this decision because Sterling was in his private home.

Another example, UPS/FEDEX can fire their drivers for obtaining a Drinking Under the Influence (DUI), if found guilty in court. You can be driving drunk and the case gets dismissed, it means they can't fire you. Unless proven guilty of the crime.

It is not a crime to be racist, it is a moral crime but not a crime that can be used against him. It was said in his private home. Just like you shouldn't be fired for telling your wife how hard it was at work -or- how much of a douche your boss is.

This may be the final nail in the coffin for me. May really be done with the NBA here. Too much shady business. If it didn't involve a bunch of money, I don't think they would care.

Freedom of speech, freedom of privacy, it shows that what ever, you say, if it is recorded, it can be used to destroy you.

The NBA has caved into the popular sentiment to maintain it's image.

Another issue is a connection between what you say and racism. I think racism should be judged by actions, not just words. Everyone says things at times that maybe interpreted to have multiple meanings.

GimmeThat
04-30-2014, 05:27 AM
It gives leverage for Donald Sterling to appeal on the decision and verdict.

IF he chooses to appeal.

9erempiree
04-30-2014, 05:46 AM
Kareem is a smart dude and I realize that he is the only one that has anything of importance to say. Granted, I would like to see him use his words more appropriately but it gets the message across.

Racism sucks but there is a bigger picture KAJ is trying to paint.

Black people have been through oppression but that was decades ago. This generation of blacks only know the half of it.

We have to look beyond race and look at each other has human beings with god given RIGHTS. Minorities should use their experience from being discriminated and help us fight the modern day slavery that exist today. We are slaves and our rights are slowly being taken away because of it.

Racism exist, so what. What this b1tch did is setting a precedent where humans will be slaves and we lose our privacy and certain little freedoms that still exist.

Kudos to Kareem. KAJ makes more sense than that babbling idiot Magic Johnson and I loved the guy as a child.

Sharmer
04-30-2014, 06:04 AM
The situation is a huge attack on freedom of speech. America is a Nanny state.

blacknapalm
04-30-2014, 06:21 AM
great piece but i need to go through a couple things

1) as KAJ said, he's had a long history of racism. KAJ really only picked the three most public records. hardcore basketball fans know there is way more than that which he just lists. you have to think even some of the players knew what was up

2) even though the girl recorded w/out his knowledge, it's crazy how much hate she's getting. yes, she deserves some, especially if she makes a book deal or whatever which will inevitably happen. sharing a private convo and just blasting it worldwide is messed up but KAJ made it clear that sterling was the bad guy here

as far as national security and freedom of speech...she recorded him w/out his knowledge. that was the messed up part but please don't bring up national security :oldlol: FBI/NSA have much bigger fish to fry and doing much more shady shit to boot. anyone can record and TMZ will pay for this. she was wrong but sterling deserved to be put down in some way. it was long overdue....good riddance. they'll replace some other billionaire. he bought the team for $12.5 million, now he's potentially selling it for a $1 billion+...boo-hoo. lifetime ban? dude is in his 80s. he's had his lifetime, lol

DCL
04-30-2014, 06:54 AM
you can easily tell who is a closet racist by what they post or try to defend.

bagelred
04-30-2014, 07:24 AM

fiddy
04-30-2014, 07:24 AM
Or who is brainwashed by the trends on the media :facepalm

Derka
04-30-2014, 08:46 AM
All-time scoring leader hits the nail right on the head. :cheers:

Its perfectly okay to condemn Sterling's comments and want to see him removed from the game...and not be okay with the way it went down. He's still the bad guy in the story regardless.

rhowen4
04-30-2014, 09:02 AM
All-time scoring leader hits the nail right on the head. :cheers:

Its perfectly okay to condemn Sterling's comments and want to see him removed from the game...and not be okay with the way it went down. He's still the bad guy in the story regardless.
this is pretty much how i feel

Simple Jack
04-30-2014, 06:34 PM
The last time this has gone to court it was ruled unconstitutional to require both parties to consent to a recording. So good luck with that

Yea, in Illinois. These other 11 states have their own wiretapping laws and there's no guarantee they will decide a constitutional claim the same way.

Sharmer
04-30-2014, 09:58 PM

People are concerned with maintaining their freedom of speech. It is in no way a defence of racism. However you can't force people to not be bigoted or racists, people must choose that for themselves.

Dresta
04-30-2014, 10:10 PM
lol @ the herdish and thoughtless mentality of people on here who go 'if you disagree with me on this you are a closet racist.'

Grow up people. Take your idiotic non sequiturs to the trash can and stay there, because it is where you belong.

CavaliersFTW
04-30-2014, 10:19 PM
lol @ the herdish and thoughtless mentality of people on here who go 'if you disagree with me on this you are a closet racist.'

Grow up people. Take your idiotic non sequiturs to the trash can and stay there, because it is where you belong.
You are the most miserable human being on ISH, confirmed. You type like you're the unibomber. Some disenchanted lonely hermit who hates the world. :oldlol:

DCL
04-30-2014, 11:23 PM
You are the most miserable human being on ISH, confirmed. You type like you're the unibomber. Some disenchanted lonely hermit who hates the world. :oldlol:

he suffers from clinic depression. the meds don't work for him. hating is his only form of therapy. it's pretty sad and pathetic. :facepalm

Kovach
05-01-2014, 02:44 AM
Don't know about his previous outbursts but in this particular case it was justified. Comment he responded to was completely logically bankrupt.

As for the the thread subject, Kareem is probably the only celebrity person that has said something of intellectual value regarding this entire case.

KyleKong
05-01-2014, 02:45 AM

You need a hug.

navy
05-01-2014, 02:50 AM
People are concerned with maintaining their freedom of speech.
Freedom of Speech only refers to the government prosecuting him. Please tell me how any of that shit applies here? Your bosses can INDEED fire you for your words.

KyleKong
05-01-2014, 02:51 AM
Freedom of Speech only refers to the government prosecuting him. Please tell me how any of that shit applies here? Your bosses can INDEED fire you for your words.

:oldlol:

:bowdown:

Based Navy.

navy
05-01-2014, 02:54 AM
:oldlol:

:bowdown:

Based Navy.

It amazes me that people dont get it. Sterling is entitled to his opinions words and privacy, but only by the government. Notice Silver did NOT care when he brought the hammer done on Sterling.

Do you think there is a speech or privacy clause in the nba constitution? Do you think that the nba is a court of law and illegally obtained testimony is inadmissible?

People these days. :oldlol:

fandarko
05-01-2014, 02:57 AM
The bigger theme here is that we are losing our freedoms. The media and the gov't are the winners.

If we disregard for a moment the whole race/racism issue conditionned by the prevalence of black players in the NBA and the marketing implications this whole affair has for the league and single out the mere fact a guy was taped by his girlfriend and ratted to the government (because here the media/NBA are clearly acting as a part thereof), there is no difference between it and people snitching other people (including their family members) for saying bad things about Stalin and Communism and reporting them to the secret police to be sent to a camp in Siberia for 20 years. This was 70-80 years ago.

Now, Sterling is not going to Siberia, but the nature of the whole thing reminds of the show trials in the USSR in the 30's, with Silver announced that he may not attend another NBA game in his life and the rest, with nobody daring to publicly say anything that would contradict the official narrative, etc.

Sterling might be a scumbag, but I somehow believe he's not the only one among the owners. Had he said what he said publicly, the repercussions would somehow seem more appropriate. This thing with his golddigging GF setting him up is incredible, it's as if people are forced into accepting subconsciously it's ok that one's private comments and thoughts are released in public, if they are deemed by the establishment to be politically incorrect.

What's the difference between the thought police in "1984" and this? There is none, the technology today makes it more easier to snitch on people and report them to the Party...

La Frescobaldi
05-01-2014, 03:39 AM
If we disregard for a moment the whole race/racism issue conditionned by the prevalence of black players in the NBA and the marketing implications this whole affair has for the league and single out the mere fact a guy was taped by his girlfriend and ratted to the government (because here the media/NBA are clearly acting as a part thereof), there is no difference between it and people snitching other people (including their family members) for saying bad things about Stalin and Communism and reporting them to the secret police to be sent to a camp in Siberia for 20 years. This was 70-80 years ago.

Now, Sterling is not going to Siberia, but the nature of the whole thing reminds of the show trials in the USSR in the 30's, with Silver announced that he may not attend another NBA game in his life and the rest, with nobody daring to publicly say anything that would contradict the official narrative, etc.

Sterling might be a scumbag, but I somehow believe he's not the only one among the owners. Had he said what he said publicly, the repercussions would somehow seem more appropriate. This thing with his golddigging GF setting him up is incredible, it's as if people are forced into accepting subconsciously it's ok that one's private comments and thoughts are released in public, if they are deemed by the establishment to be politically incorrect.

What's the difference between the thought police in "1984" and this? There is none, the technology today makes it more easier to snitch on people and report them to the Party...

One could easily bet on something like Oprah Winfrey owning the team.

Whether or not Sterling's wife wants to keep her marital property, it may well end up being a forced sale to suit political correctness instead of the rule of law.

Xiengqichess
05-01-2014, 03:51 AM
I never thought there's discrimination of any kind especially in Southern California until I talked to some white cops while I was a witness. They acted disrespectful to other races especially Asian and Black. They put words in your mouth to control the situation and threat to take you to jail for no reason. Luckily, I have knowledge about law and be able to talk back.
I was only a witness and they treated me like I committed a crime.
A lady cop talk to me like this :
Is this your car? You park here all the time? You hit my car right? you want to go to jail for this?
Where you live?, Garden Grove? What are you doing here this time?
I was like : don't talk to me like that mam, I go out wherever I want to, it's a citizen right. I never hit any car. Would you please write report for this man( a man got beat by a white man ) The white man worked for a 7-11 store and the Polices knew him) so the Polices didn't want to make a report.
They threat to take the one got beat to jail all the time so that he give up filing charge. Finally the man gave up filing charge and I was very angry and told those cops " where is the justice and I felt so disappointed. It's not right at all.
I can't sleep because I fled bad for the guy and myself.
.Please tell me what you think about this?
My English is not good enough to explain everything for you, I am so sorry about that.

Dresta
05-01-2014, 03:59 AM
he suffers from clinic depression. the meds don't work for him. hating is his only form of therapy. it's pretty sad and pathetic. :facepalm
Accusing someone of 'hating' while also labelling them 'sad and pathetic and clinically depressed' - hypocrite much?

If i were suffering through clinical depression then you'd be hating pretty hard right now.

GimmeThat
05-01-2014, 04:16 AM

I think it also makes a difference the fact that Stern said "Don't bring them to my game"

Again, if he had just said I really dislike blacks, and the whole culture thing about people treating them less etc. But if he never mentioned "Don't bring them to my game" But simply said, "I don't want to be associated with people like that" I think there's a difference.

The fact that he made a challenge againts his employee, and the customer base, required the commissioner to act.

We can argue of the fact that the "public of speech" is only regarding to that of the US government and whatnot.

Listen, even he were to choose to appeal, by the time the result comes out, the damage had been done already. So at the very least, Silver had prevented more damage to be done by not letting the issue drag on.

DCL
05-01-2014, 05:54 AM
Accusing someone of 'hating' while also labelling them 'sad and pathetic and clinically depressed' - hypocrite much?

If i were suffering through clinical depression then you'd be hating pretty hard right now.

Dresta, you've been accused of being miserable by more than a number of people. i don't really care to follow your posts, but i don't think i've ever seen one single funny or happy post from you. seems like everything from you is on the bitter and angry side like you mad every single moment. it's like you wake up every morning with a fat stick up your ass and it stays there the whole day, 24/7. it must suck to live like that.

Sharmer
05-01-2014, 06:31 AM

If employers could fire their employee's for comments made in their own home's, the courts would be filled with unfair dismissal lawsuits.

Freedom if speech doesn't just arise out of 1st amendment. Sixty years of case law in the supreme court, when individuals have fought gov't and institutions to preserve freedom of speech.

The constitution only says that freedom of speech must be not infringed by the gov't it doesn't say that gov't can't punish.

Sharmer
05-01-2014, 06:37 AM

You make some very good points. Gov't and private business attacking freedom of speech is not a new concept.

Contrary to the ignorant, freedom of speech does not just arise out of constitution, but out of a number of supreme court rulings. The problem is main stream media does not cover any of the attacks on freedom of speech or major supreme court rulings.