PDA

View Full Version : Worst MVP Playoff Runs

ArbitraryWater
04-30-2014, 09:00 AM
Is Kevin Durant having the worst playoff run by the MVP (He'll probably get it over LeBron) in NBA history?

KD is really trying to take that 'worst 1st round in NBA history by the league MVP' crown.

Dirk Nowitzki 2007 is in contention.

Anyone else?

Or MVP's in General with bad/underachieving/disappointing runs?

I just hope KD doesn't wear one of those goofy hipster outfits to his MVP acceptance press conference after he gets eliminated in Rd-1. Bad look.

livinglegend
04-30-2014, 09:03 AM
Right now, it s not even close. Durant is the worst of all-time. He is playing like a little bitch and is being carried by players like Perkins and Reggie Jackson.

NumberSix
04-30-2014, 09:05 AM
It depends. Let's see if the refs gift OKC the next 2 games.

RoundMoundOfReb
04-30-2014, 09:05 AM
His PER has dropped 11.4 points from the regular season. From 29.8 to 18.4. Never seen anything like this... I think he'll play well in game 6 though.

RagaZ
04-30-2014, 09:08 AM
Rose.

ArbitraryWater
04-30-2014, 09:09 AM
Durant went from 50/40/90

ALL THE WAY TO

40/29/72...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/q71/999307_719791891383818_1685831500_n.jpg

ArbitraryWater
04-30-2014, 09:11 AM
Rose.

Rose made it to the ECF while averaging 29/5/8 on 42% and 83% FT on his way to get there...

alenleomessi
04-30-2014, 09:15 AM
Durant went from 50/40/90

ALL THE WAY TO

40/29/72...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/q71/999307_719791891383818_1685831500_n.jpg
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1089246/wttf.gif

imdaman99
04-30-2014, 09:36 AM
What about bran's 2010 quitjob as the MVP? At least Durant has not quit, he's just getting manhandled. Bran shot 3-14 when his team was tied 2-2. I suppose since it wasn't the 1st round, no one will care. Gotta love branstans. They will hate KD for the rest of his playing days, just like they hate Rose. Heaven forbid someone else get MVP over their false god :oldlol:

RagaZ
04-30-2014, 09:39 AM
What about bran's 2010 quitjob as the MVP? At least Durant has not quit, he's just getting manhandled. Bran shot 3-14 when his team was tied 2-2. I suppose since it wasn't the 1st round, no one will care. Gotta love branstans. They will hate KD for the rest of his playing days, just like they hate Rose. Heaven forbid someone else get MVP over their false god :oldlol:
Yeah, Bran stans should watch Game 5 and 6 again. Pathetic by him.

Wavves
04-30-2014, 09:40 AM

Wait a second? Hasn't Lebron gotten hate for his 2010 quitjob as the MVP and will continue to do so 'for the rest of his playing days'?

VIntageNOvel
04-30-2014, 09:41 AM

http://fireden.net/4chan/images.4chan.org//vg/src/1385927203086.jpg

VIntageNOvel
04-30-2014, 09:42 AM
Wait a second? Hasn't Lebron gotten hate for his 2010 quitjob as the MVP and will continue to do so 'for the rest of his playing days'?

no,
he's quitjob got outshined by his chokejob the year after

AintNoSunshine
04-30-2014, 10:07 AM
He'd probably be eliminated by the time MVP is announced... Now that is fukking embarrassing

DMAVS41
04-30-2014, 10:09 AM
It's either Dirk or Durant...

Going to be tough to compare though, because Durant's team has already bailed him out of 1 horrid game with a free win.

Dirk never got a free win in his series.

And Dirk's team, outside of 1 game, got blown out in the other 3 losses by 12, 18, and 25 points. So the difference here in help in relation to the competition is significant.

Also, the Mavs got down 3-1...which is almost impossible to come back from...and was pretty much impossible against the Warriors. Just like if the Thunder had gone down 3-1 like they should have with Durant choking in game 4...this series would already be over.

So it's going to be tough to compare because Durant already has an extra chance he didn't earn.

But anyway...through 5 games;

Dirk - 22/12/2 on 16 shots a game at 54% TS 119 ortg 108 drtg
Averaging 2 steals 2 blocks 2 turnovers

Durant - 28/10/4 on 25 shots a game at 49% TS 99 ortg 101 drtg
Averaging 1 steal 2 blocks 4 turnovers

I'd say Durant has been worse through the first 5 games. He's being singled any actually receiving less defensive attention than Dirk was. He's been considerably less efficient and his volume is absurdly high for a player shooting sub 50% TS. Durant has also choked in close games. Missing free throws and doing nothing down the stretch of essentially 3 overtime games now. Dirk might have played like shit in all the close games as well, but he never got that chance. It just shows you the difference in margin of error...the Thunder are playing a better team and they are still getting chances each night to win. The Mavs got their shit blown out in every loss but 1. Totally different scenarios and in game 6...the Mavs lost by 25 points in Golden State. Just no chance to beat them 3 in a row once they got down 3-1. So like I said above, it's just a team strength issue if Durant pulls this out. He's been given another life because Reggie Jackson did something in game 4 that no Mavs player did in game 1 or game 6 to extend the series. Hard to give Durant credit for that...

-Lebron23-
04-30-2014, 10:11 AM
He'd probably be eliminated by the time MVP is announced... Now that is fukking embarrassing
UPS will sponsor the thing and broadcast the MVP trophy delivery to his house live :roll:

ArbitraryWater
04-30-2014, 10:14 AM

:facepalm You've got to be KIDDING me...

This is what LeBron did in 2010:

Average 29/9/8 on 50% through 2 rounds...

A 40+ Point Game, 2 Triple Doubles, a stretch of 3 straight 37+ Point Games and 4 35+ Point Games in 5 Games... Then cap it all off with 27/19/10 in the Elimination Game... Others would die for that. In fact, Durant right now would take that in his wildest dreams.

but but but game 5!!! No shit Game 5. 3-14, 15 Points, disgusting.

Are you shitheads really relying on one game in a topic that's to determine the WORST MVP EVER? :wtf:

The all-around game and efficiency is undeniable.

RoundMoundOfReb
04-30-2014, 10:16 AM
LeBron game 5 vs Celtics was pretty much like KD in game 4. Difference is that was his only really bad game of the series. KD has had 3 and a poor series overall.

coin24
04-30-2014, 10:16 AM
Durant easily. Just pathetic this series, especially after the season he had. What a dropoff:facepalm

ArbitraryWater
04-30-2014, 10:17 AM
LeBron game 5 vs Celtics was pretty much like KD in game 4. Difference is that was his only really bad game of the series. KD has had 3 and a poor series overall.

Not just that, but LeBron was a different BEAST prior to that game.

Averaged 32 PPG on 57% :bowdown:

"But how about LeBron!!!" LMFAO fail

DMAVS41
04-30-2014, 10:18 AM

Durant over the last 3 games...

24/10/3 with 5 turnovers per game on 43% TS (35/17/68 shooting splits...damn...sub 70% from the ft line?????...what the shit!)

The fact that the Thunder have had a chance to win all 3 games...and actually won the game in which he went for 15/13/4 5 turnovers 32% TS is crazy.

Most other players don't have that luxury...generally when a team loses by 15 or more in the playoffs...they are just outmatched as a team and it's hard to blame one single player much. When a team's star is playing like ass and they are losing overtime games...it's totally different.

This series should be over.

pauk
04-30-2014, 10:18 AM

Just before that Finals series Lebron was pretty god damn good 24-7.... dominating offensively, plenty of clutch plays and shutting down people on the other end... that playoff run by Lebron was actually one of his best he was the best player & most clutch player (followed by Dirk) right up until that Mavs series, that series was so bad by his standards it overshadowed anything he did before that series... KD is still in the 1st round and already underperforming, so there is nothing else to work with except only one performance/series...

imdaman99
04-30-2014, 10:22 AM
Just before that Finals series Lebron was pretty god damn good 24-7.... dominating offensively, plenty of clutch plays and shutting down people on the other end... that playoff run by Lebron was actually one of his best he was the best player & most clutch player (followed by Dirk) right up until that Mavs series, that series was so bad by his standards it overshadowed anything he did before that series... KD is still in the 1st round and already underperforming, so there is nothing else to work with except only one performance/series...
I agree. Durant has been ass. I don't even want to defend him... he's not shooting right. Usually when he's off he still finds a way to the line and he's not even doing that. So it's between Dirk and Durant. I just threw in Bran to throw perspective because it DID seem like he quit in that series.

This Grizzlies team is not a real 7th seed. Let's be real, they are 100% and would have won 56+ if Gasol wasn't injured half the year. I know you all are tired of hearing about the East being weak... but this Grizzlies team is like a better version of the Pacers.

deja vu
04-30-2014, 10:22 AM
His PER has dropped 11.4 points from the regular season. From 29.8 to 18.4. Never seen anything like this... I think he'll play well in game 6 though.
KD puts Wilt to shame. :lol

DMAVS41
04-30-2014, 10:24 AM
I agree. Durant has been ass. I don't even want to defend him... he's not shooting right. Usually when he's off he still finds a way to the line and he's not even doing that. So it's between Dirk and Durant. I just threw in Bran to throw perspective because it DID seem like he quit in that series.

This Grizzlies team is not a real 7th seed. Let's be real, they are 100% and would have won 56+ if Gasol wasn't injured half the year. I know you all are tired of hearing about the East being weak... but this Grizzlies team is like a better version of the Pacers.

Yea, but the problem is that the Warriors in 07 weren't a real 8th seed and were a nightmare matchup for the Mavs...and the Mavs had a coach easily as bad as Brooks.

So while I totally agree...that doesn't do anything really in that comparison.

PistonsFan#21
04-30-2014, 10:25 AM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1089246/wttf.gif

playing lockdown defense even while on the bench :bowdown:

tmacattack33
04-30-2014, 10:31 AM

Well yes, the first round is very important here, because if a player plays well in the first round and bad in the second round, then that means that in average he played average overall.

But if a player plays in just one round in total and plays poorly in that round, then that means he played poorly overall.

Do you get it? Or do I have to explain this elementary point to you further? :oldlol:

And besides, Lebron's Boston series overall wasn't even that bad.

imdaman99
04-30-2014, 10:37 AM
Well yes, the first round is very important here, because if a player plays well in the first round and bad in the second round, then that means that in average he played average overall.

But if a player plays in just one round in total and plays poorly in that round, then that means he played poorly overall.

Do you get it? Or do I have to explain this elementary point to you further? :oldlol:

And besides, Lebron's Boston series overall wasn't even that bad.
I love how you branstans take stuff so personally. I know he sends you all honorary rings in June for stanning him so hard and being his internet lawyers and PR team, but stop taking things so personally. Try to remember basketball is a sport.

Anyways this thread is about worst MVP run and unless Durant steps it up next game and then game 7, he will have the worst MVP run in the playoffs for as long as I can remember. Is that what you wanted to hear? :cheers:

DMAVS41
04-30-2014, 10:42 AM
I love how you branstans take stuff so personally. I know he sends you all honorary rings in June for stanning him so hard and being his internet lawyers and PR team, but stop taking things so personally. Try to remember basketball is a sport.

Anyways this thread is about worst MVP run and unless Durant steps it up next game and then game 7, he will have the worst MVP run in the playoffs for as long as I can remember. Is that what you wanted to hear? :cheers:

Meh...even if he does step up it's going to hard to ignore reality. And reality is that the Thunder should be done in this series already...and the fact that they aren't has nothing to do with Durant.

So in a player comparison and not team comparison...it's hard to give Durant the benefit of just clearly having a team so good they can overcome his terrible play and still win a game and force 3 straight overtimes.

He's average 24 points on 35/17/68 shooting 38% TS 5 turnovers over the last 3 and they've all gone to overtime.

Dirk/Mavs were getting blown out by the Warriors...

tpols
04-30-2014, 10:46 AM
its funny that if dallas had won that game to end the season(that they barely lost) Durant would be facing old marion instead of prime tony allen, WB would be torching monta/calderon and the Thunder would likely be smooth sailing.

DMAVS41
04-30-2014, 10:48 AM
its funny that if dallas had won that game to end the season(that they barely lost) OKC would be facing old marion instead of prime tony allen, WB would be torching monta/calderon and the Thunder would likely be smooth sailing.

Maybe, but the Mavs actually match up well against the Thunder also. And actually defend superstar teams (or at least have in the past) decently well...and Ellis/Dirk would for sure be having better series against the Thunder offensively.

tmacattack33
04-30-2014, 10:48 AM

It's the internet man, ain't nothing personal i don't even know you personally.

But yes, that's what i wanted to hear, some objective opinions.

imdaman99
04-30-2014, 10:51 AM
Meh...even if he does step up it's going to hard to ignore reality. And reality is that the Thunder should be done in this series already...and the fact that they aren't has nothing to do with Durant.

So in a player comparison and not team comparison...it's hard to give Durant the benefit of just clearly having a team so good they can overcome his terrible play and still win a game and force 3 straight overtimes.

He's average 24 points on 35/17/68 shooting 38% TS 5 turnovers over the last 3 and they've all gone to overtime.

Dirk/Mavs were getting blown out by the Warriors...
That 68% FT shooting is what is mind boggling. He's usually clutch, especially with FTs. I don't understand this guy. It's shocking. I'm pretty sure he would have hit that 1 last night if this ref doesn't go berzerk snatching the ball out of his hands (and doing voodoo on the ball :roll: ) but it doesn't excuse him from gagging it. He was way off to the left.

stephanieg
04-30-2014, 11:43 AM
Both Dirk and Durant got exposed since they couldn't post up the little guys the other team put on them. Dirk figured it out eventually, will Durant?

Hizack
04-30-2014, 12:53 PM
1976 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Lakers weren't even in the playoffs that year.

Milbuck
04-30-2014, 12:55 PM
Rose.
Rose had a terrific playoff run that year. His team was exposed for its complete lack of a viable secondary scoring option, hence him getting trapped in the ECF. If the Bulls had another dangerous scorer, that run would've been one of the better MVP playoff runs.

SilkkTheShocker
04-30-2014, 12:56 PM
I didn't see anyone beating Dallas in 07 and they got beat by the And 1 Mixtape tour in the first round. Still shocked they lost, bad matchups or not.

DMAVS41
04-30-2014, 12:57 PM
I didn't see anyone beating Dallas in 07 and they got beat by the And 1 Mixtape tour in the first round. Still shocked they lost, bad matchups or not.

If you knew that Dallas team like Mavs fans did...it wouldn't have surprised you.

ArbitraryWater
04-30-2014, 12:57 PM
1976 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Lakers weren't even in the playoffs that year.

Ah, that's true. The only MVP to not make the Playoffs.

Cold soul
04-30-2014, 01:01 PM
Durant by far for me. This is much worse than what Dirk did 07 against GS.

SilkkTheShocker
04-30-2014, 01:03 PM
If you knew that Dallas team like Mavs fans did...it wouldn't have surprised you.

Not disagreeing. But that team seemed like it never missed. Not sure what the numbers say, but they had to be one of the better jumpshooting teams I have seen in a long time. At least from mid-range

DMAVS41
04-30-2014, 01:15 PM
Not disagreeing. But that team seemed like it never missed. Not sure what the numbers say, but they had to be one of the better jumpshooting teams I have seen in a long time. At least from mid-range

It wasn't about the Mavs not being good...I think we would have beaten every other team in the league easily outside of the Spurs.

It was just a nightmare matchup against a coach that knew our team and Dirk well and played a style the exact opposite of what we wanted to do.

Dampier, a guy that played 25 mpg in the regular season, basically didn't play in the playoffs....and while Damp wasn't the best player in the world...he really helped our defense and rebounding. And that was a big part of the 07 team...we actually defended really well and played at a very slow pace.

So playing a series against a team that played at the fastest pace in the league...without getting to play our center...it was trouble from the jump.

Knoe Itawl
04-30-2014, 05:09 PM
Durant over the last 3 games...

24/10/3 with 5 turnovers per game on 43% TS (35/17/68 shooting splits...damn...sub 70% from the ft line?????...what the shit!)

The fact that the Thunder have had a chance to win all 3 games...and actually won the game in which he went for 15/13/4 5 turnovers 32% TS is crazy.

Most other players don't have that luxury...generally when a team loses by 15 or more in the playoffs...they are just outmatched as a team and it's hard to blame one single player much. When a team's star is playing like ass and they are losing overtime games...it's totally different.

This series should be over.

Am I missing something with this Sean Penn in Carlito's Way shyt? Oh, and anyone who tries to put Lebron in this conversation is mindless (which describes a good percentage of ISH posters).

secund2nun
04-30-2014, 05:27 PM

Averaging 27-8-7 on 46% fg while being tripled against the 2010 Celtics and also shutting down Pierce is apparently a quit job...nice blindly ignore the facts "logic" you have there :roll:

jzek
04-30-2014, 05:37 PM
Dirk losing to the Warriors

Durant losing to the Grizzlies

KD35Brah
04-30-2014, 05:56 PM
Yea, but the problem is that the Warriors in 07 weren't a real 8th seed and were a nightmare matchup for the Mavs...and the Mavs had a coach easily as bad as Brooks.

So while I totally agree...that doesn't do anything really in that comparison.The Grizzlies aren't a bad matchup with the Thunder?

Lol'd the Grizzlies aren't better than the 2007 Warriors?

Dirk shot 38% for 20PPG, he was trash in that series as well. Keep acting like Dirk wasn't a choke artist. Shot 41% in the Finals too while Wade was the best player there by far.

DMAVS41
04-30-2014, 06:39 PM
The Grizzlies aren't a bad matchup with the Thunder?

Lol'd the Grizzlies aren't better than the 2007 Warriors?

Dirk shot 38% for 20PPG, he was trash in that series as well. Keep acting like Dirk wasn't a choke artist. Shot 41% in the Finals too while Wade was the best player there by far.

Yes, I was saying all those things buddy. I was saying that the Warriors were also not a normal low seed and posed the same type of matchup problems...although the warriors were a worse matchup for the Mavs.

That was the point of my post. They have played similarly in similar circumstances. The only difference is that Durant got bailed out in a game and got a free win...otherwise it would already be over and it would pretty clear that Durant's series was worse.

Dirk did play a shit series...who has denied that?

However, his shit series resulted in the Mavs getting blown out of the gym losing games by 12,18, and 25.

And honestly, the game 6 is misleading because that was a loss waiting to happen. You aren't winning 3 in a row...it just rarely happens...and not against a team as good or better against teams like the Grizzlies and Warriors here.

This is why I think Durant's series is worse to date...he's doing this in close games with a chance to win all of them. The Mavs lost one close game the entire series. Durant has already lost 3 and in 2 of them he's been abysmal...

Like I said before. This series should be over based on the play of Durant. He got a free win that Dirk didn't get. And if you gave the Mavs a 2-2 showing after 4...it's at least going 7 as Dirk had a great game 5.

Can't just ignore that the only reason Durant is still alive is Reggie Jackson. So when we compare individual players...we can't factor in too much how the Thunder actually do now because Dirk didn't get a free win from a bench player going off and winning a game by himself. If he did...it's just a totally different series.

Anyway...lucky for Durant that he gets another shot at it. Totally undeserved, but another shot regardless.

I actually want the Thunder to win....so we'll see.

SamuraiSWISH
04-30-2014, 06:41 PM
Easily Dirk's 2007.

Jacks3
04-30-2014, 06:44 PM
At least Durant can say his stuggles came against a great defense and one of the best on-ball defenders ever.

Dirk got shut down by dudes 6-7 inches shorter than him. :facepalm

DMAVS41
04-30-2014, 06:47 PM
Easily Dirk's 2007.

:facepalm

Through 5 games Dirk actually has better numbers...no free win from a role player...and his team got blown out twice.

Durant is choking in close games and got a free bailout win.

It's honestly not even close over the first 5 games...

And the fact that Durant is still live in this series just has to do with his team being way better than Dirk's.

Put Durant on a team similar in strength in relation to the competition like the Mavs vs Warriors in 07 and the Thunder/Durant are at home after 5...they don't make it to game 6 like the Mavs did.

That is what is so stupid about your comment...

This series is just evidence how good the Thunder really are around Durant. They haven't been blown out once with him playing like this. In fact, they've gone to overtime 3 straight times and have a win with Durant going for;

24 points 5 turnovers on 43% TS with an 86 ortg

And even worse, he's being pretty much exclusively singled...at least Dirk drew a ton of defensive attention

PickernRoller
04-30-2014, 06:48 PM

They hate everyone not named Lebron. They are hateful little b1tchs. Well, at least the 3 cats that handle the 30 alts that make up the Lebron fanbase here.

PickernRoller
04-30-2014, 06:54 PM
its funny that if dallas had won that game to end the season(that they barely lost) Durant would be facing old marion instead of prime tony allen, WB would be torching monta/calderon and the Thunder would likely be smooth sailing.

Now hold up.....since when is 32 year old Tony Allen, prime Tony Allen?

Kobe actually faced prime Tony Allen, not Durant. Lets not make excuses for a fraud like Durant. Durant and Lebron both are frauds of the game. Neither of them would stand the test of time in the hand-checking era. While we criticize Durant we forget that LeQueen got locked up and shutdown by the likes of Shawn Marion (32 year old) and Diaw (31). This is as much a disgrace for Lebron too. Getting locked up while in their prime by old timers is a trait both share. Both also share a deadly trait found in chokers: mental midgets. One is too tall and flimsy while the other is too grotesque and clumsy.

Mind you these are players Kobe torched in his prime while those players were also in their prime. And people still don't get that we are in a weak @ss era.

SCdac
04-30-2014, 06:56 PM
Dirk had an epically bad Series in 07... 4-19 from beyond the arch, went 4 games without making a single 3 pointer... Worst I've seen from an MVP year... Did some soul searching in Australia after that one, can't blame him.

Others that come to mind.

Karl Malone shooting .43 FG% in getting knocked out by the Blazers in 99 (scored 8 points in the final game).

David Robinson getting to the WCF to get outplayed by Hakeem (though David did score 23+ ppg)

Derrick Rose flamed out in the ECF shooting sub .40 FG%, but he at least played really well in getting there.

Still, getting ousted in the first round is as bad as it gets. No doubt Durant is struggling.

DMAVS41
04-30-2014, 06:57 PM
Now hold up.....since when is 32 year old Tony Allen, prime Tony Allen?

Kobe actually faced prime Tony Allen, not Durant. Lets not make excuses for a fraud like Durant. He and Lebron James are both frauds that would of never stand the test of time in the hand-checking era. Both share a deadly trait: mental midgets. One is too tall and flimsy while the other is too grotesque and clumsy.

This.

Just read above that current Tony Allen is one of the best on ball defenders ever....LOL

Yea, maybe if he could actually play real defense and touch Durant more often.

tpols
04-30-2014, 06:58 PM
This.

Just read above that current Tony Allen is one of the best on ball defenders ever....LOL

Yea, maybe if he could actually play real defense and touch Durant more often.

hes been all over him the entire series

DMAVS41
04-30-2014, 07:00 PM
Dirk had an epically bad Series in 07... 4-19 from beyond the arch, went 4 games without making a single 3 pointer... Worst I've seen from an MVP year... Did some soul searching in Australia after that one, can't blame him.

Others that come to mind.

Karl Malone shooting .43 FG% in getting knocked out by the Blazers in 99 (scored 8 points in the final game).

David Robinson getting to the WCF to get outplayed by Hakeem (though David did score 23+ ppg)

Derrick Rose flamed out in the ECF shooting sub .40 FG%, but he at least played really well in getting there.

Still, getting ousted in the first round is as bad as it gets. No doubt Durant is struggling.

It can't be Rose or Robinson because losing in the first round trumps anything other than the worst series ever.

So it has to be Dirk or Durant...assuming Durant loses of course. If Durant wins then Dirk will retain this distinction...although it will not be earned by Durant.

Durant should be at home on the couch right now. The fact that he is still alive is all about his help...nothing to do with him.

He's been clearly worse than Dirk over the first 5 games of their respective series...he's actually losing close games...Mavs were getting blown out.

The difference in help is large here.

DMAVS41
04-30-2014, 07:01 PM
hes been all over him the entire series

We are talking about like in the past.

You think he's been all over him? LOL go watch some old games when you do that and way more.

He's been all over him for this era of soft as **** play...

You can't call current Tony Allen the best on ball defender ever with these rules. It's impossible to do that...

ArbitraryWater
04-30-2014, 07:09 PM
Am I missing something with this Sean Penn in Carlito's Way shyt? Oh, and anyone who tries to put Lebron in this conversation is mindless (which describes a good percentage of ISH posters).

Silkk... the man, the myth, ....

inclinerator
04-30-2014, 07:10 PM
We are talking about like in the past.

You think he's been all over him? LOL go watch some old games when you do that and way more.

He's been all over him for this era of soft as **** play...

You can't call current Tony Allen the best on ball defender ever with these rules. It's impossible to do that...
why not? it takes skills to shut someone down without touching them

DMAVS41
04-30-2014, 07:11 PM
why not? it takes skills to shut someone down without touching them

I'm saying if he could play like they used to...then maybe you could make that argument.

I'm talking about people acting like Durant is facing the best defender ever or something...it's laughable.

SCdac
04-30-2014, 07:14 PM
It can't be Rose or Robinson because losing in the first round trumps anything other than the worst series ever.

So it has to be Dirk or Durant...assuming Durant loses of course. If Durant wins then Dirk will retain this distinction...although it will not be earned by Durant.

Durant should be at home on the couch right now. The fact that he is still alive is all about his help...nothing to do with him.

He's been clearly worse than Dirk over the first 5 games of their respective series...he's actually losing close games...Mavs were getting blown out.

The difference in help is large here.

I've noticed you're very much a "should have, would have, could have" kinda guy... dwelling on hypotheticals, postulates, and "what could have been".... Me, not so much. What happened happened, and it's largely because of X, Y, and Z.. Not necessarily talking about series including big injuries... Sometimes it's out of said player's hands but I think we disagree on how much games are decided by luck.

None the less, at least Josh Howard came to play in 2007. Was an All Star that season. But that Mavs loss was a team loss no doubt. Dirk's collapse was pretty epic but it happens. I'd argue that loss helped make him a straight up warrior later in his career. I'm a big "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" believer.

SamuraiSWISH
04-30-2014, 07:14 PM
At least Durant can say his stuggles came against a great defense and one of the best on-ball defenders ever.

Dirk got shut down by dudes 6-7 inches shorter than him. :facepalm
SGs and SFs were affecting his game. No where did he pick up his team and put them on his shoulders just to get past a damn 8th seed. Couldn't even manage to push it 7 games.

Guy was visibly embarrassed accepting the MVP trophy at a press conference, and not in the Conference Finals like you're supposed to as MVP.

Fraudulent MVP. Worst performance from an MVP I've ever seen. Never has a winner of the award not gotten out of the first damn round on a 67 win team against an 8th seed.

Regardless if the coach of said 8th seed knew Dallas personell well, you're a better team ... talent would've won through regardless.

Pathetic.

SCdac
04-30-2014, 07:21 PM
When Duncan got absolutely rape stomped by the Lakers in the WCF.

Ducnan when he let Sheed push his shit in as he did most of his career in the 05' Finals but got bailed out by the GOAT clutch shooter RH.

LeBron 2011 of course.

KD this year if they don't close it out.

Dirk in 07' of course.

Duncan wasn't an MVP in 2005 and had an ankle injury. Still beasted against the Suns that year. In 2002, his scoring increased in every game of that series yet they still couldn't pull through (27 pts, 28 pts, 30 pts, 34 pts).

ArbitraryWater
04-30-2014, 07:29 PM

Duncan when he let Sheed' push his shit in as he did most of his career in the 05' Finals but got bailed out by the GOAT clutch shooter RH.

LeBron 2011 of course.

Dirk in 07' of course.

Look, Duncan didn't get MVP in 2005, and made the Finals. LeBron didn't even get MVP in 2011, AND MADE THE FINALS AS WELL.

Even if, he made it to the damn fkn Finals averaging 26/9/6 on 46% with TOP NOTCH defense and astonishingly clutch baskets to close out the last 2 rounds against the STACKED Celtics&Bulls... get that STUPIDITY out of here.

SamuraiSWISH
REAL MVP's assert their WILL power on the court. They find a way, even when shooting poorly.

See MJ's 1993 ECF v.s. one of the greatest defensive teams EVER.

2007 Dirk, and even 2014 Ther Servant are not doing that. At least KD is facing an all-time great perimeter defender though.

Dirk was getting locked up by Stephen Jackson.

inclinerator

Duncan when he let Sheed' push his shit in as he did most of his career in the 05' Finals but got bailed out by the GOAT clutch shooter RH.

LeBron 2011 of course.

Dirk in 07' of course.
lebron didnt win mvp in 2011

SamuraiSWISH
04-30-2014, 07:30 PM
the last 2 rounds against the STACKED Celtics&Bulls... get that STUPIDITY out of here.
:oldlol:

ArbitraryWater
04-30-2014, 07:32 PM
It DEFINITELY needs/should be a 1st round exit, because that most likely means you just failed epically in the very 1st round, causing your team to get eliminated at the earliest time possible.

All players making it further than that, I can't imagine them putting up 40% type numbers in the 1st, and getting bailed out and winning the series... when your best player does that, you'll most likely lose.
So any MVP going further, most probably played well at least on his way to get there. Doesn't matter how shitty he was, 2nd round, 3rd, finals... he played good in the 1st round. It's very unlikely for an MVP to play a good first round, then go to the finals while playing shitty in every round... I don't think that's ever happened.

ArbitraryWater
04-30-2014, 07:35 PM

Newsflash: It wasn't Rose taking some mediocre team to the 1st&ECF... the Bulls strength was defense, which came from their system, coach, noah, deng, etc.

Why else would Rose miss 27 of 66 games in 2012, that's 41% of the entire season, yet the Bulls still get the league's best record?

It's because Deng and Noah emerged into all star type players, and the Bulls were insanely well rounded.

ArbitraryWater
04-30-2014, 07:37 PM
:roll: This hating shit is so pointless. Don't know how people mantain it.

You've made the dumbest posts in this thread, by far. (Outdoing the LeBron 2010 suggestion) but okay.

SamuraiSWISH
04-30-2014, 07:41 PM
Newsflash: It wasn't Rose taking some mediocre team to the 1st&ECF...
Thibs, and Derrick Rose carried that team to their 60+ win record, and to the Conference Finals.

Dumb ass. I can tell you didn't even watch the 2011, and 2012 Derrick Rose led Chicago Bulls. He wasn't the best player int he league, but he deserved that 2011 MVP.

That team was anything BUT stacked. Starting SG was Keith Bogans for christ sakes. The past several years since D. Rose's career ending knee injury we have been absolute proof of this FACT of what the Bulls outside of him truly were.

Thibs doesn't know how to amp up intensity, and Rose was the one consistently saving them dragging them through the first two rounds of the playoffs. He was the only elite offensive creator on that team.

The rest of them are hustle dorks, role players, and defenders.

ArbitraryWater
04-30-2014, 07:41 PM
:roll: It's called reaching. Half of the people I mentioned weren't MVP's.

Hence, the "reach" factor.

What the fcuk are you talking about? Go post more smileys.

SamuraiSWISH
04-30-2014, 07:43 PM
What does any of this have to do with the fact Dirk's 2007 MVP "playoff run" is by far the worst in league history.

ArbitraryWater
04-30-2014, 07:48 PM
Thibs, and Derrick Rose carried that team to their 60+ win record, and to the Conference Finals.

Dumb ass. I can tell you didn't even watch the 2011, and 2012 Derrick Rose led Chicago Bulls. He wasn't the best player int he league, but he deserved that 2011 MVP.

That team was anything BUT stacked. The past several years since D. Rose's career ending knee injury have been absolute proof of this FACT.

Thibs doesn't know how to amp up intensity, and Rose was the one consistently saving them dragging them through the first two rounds of the playoffs. He was the only elite offensive creator on that team.

The rest of them are hustle dorks, role players, and defenders.

Definitely open to interpretation... I see great arguments for LeBron, Howard, even Dirk over Rose :lol

ArbitraryWater
04-30-2014, 07:49 PM
What does any of this have to do with the fact Dirk's 2007 MVP "playoff run" is by far the worst in league history.

Maybe when you responded to the Bulls not being stacked :lol

I never said Rose would be in discussion for this.

It's Durant&Dirk

ArbitraryWater
04-30-2014, 07:50 PM
I brought up Bron's epic choke job in 2011.

To reach, because he wasn't MVP. And that is not nice.

Explained it in dumb ass kindergartener's terms just for you, you dipshit.

Smilie: :D

I still don't get it... what would be the ****in' point of that? Look, you probably thought those guys won MVP's, and now you're bullshitting... go ask more 2 year difference relationship questions, teen boy.

SamuraiSWISH
04-30-2014, 07:50 PM
Possibly. Durant's can come close if he plays terrible again.
He's being guarded by Tony Allen ...

D. Rose was being guarded by LeBron James in the Conference Finals ...

Dirk was being guarded by STEPHEN JACKSON !!!

SamuraiSWISH
04-30-2014, 07:52 PM
Maybe when you responded to the Bulls not being stacked
Because they weren't even close to being stacked. You're confusing good, and overachiever with STACKED.

DMAVS41
04-30-2014, 10:17 PM
I've noticed you're very much a "should have, would have, could have" kinda guy... dwelling on hypotheticals, postulates, and "what could have been".... Me, not so much. What happened happened, and it's largely because of X, Y, and Z.. Not necessarily talking about series including big injuries... Sometimes it's out of said player's hands but I think we disagree on how much games are decided by luck.

None the less, at least Josh Howard came to play in 2007. Was an All Star that season. But that Mavs loss was a team loss no doubt. Dirk's collapse was pretty epic but it happens. I'd argue that loss helped make him a straight up warrior later in his career. I'm a big "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" believer.

Easy...you just compare how they actually played. Considering we are comparing players in different circumstances...it's all going to be hypothetical.

But I'd love to hear how Durant through 5 games is somehow getting to 6 when he doesn't get the bailout game he got in game 4. The series is over if gets the kind of help Dirk got...and also, the games in 07 weren't that close outside of 1. The other 3 were 12, 18, and 25 respectively.

That speaks to a team problem...not an individual player problem. When you are still losing tight games that go to overtime with your star player sucking badly...that doesn't speak to a team problem.

DMAVS41
04-30-2014, 10:19 PM
He's being guarded by Tony Allen ...

D. Rose was being guarded by LeBron James in the Conference Finals ...

Dirk was being guarded by STEPHEN JACKSON !!!

Well, he wasn't just guarded by Stephen Jackson. Barnes/Harrington and others took turns...

But the entire team shifted over when they fronted him in the post. The played in front and behind...

The Warriors did way more than just single Dirk straight up like the Grizzlies are.

Not that it matters though. You say Stephen Jackson like he's not a perfect type of defender for Dirk. He was...that is what is so funny about your posts.

So it's okay for midget Tony Allen to shut down Durant, and I mean shut down...but Dirk having to face 3 guys that actually are a tough type of defender for him...that doesn't matter? It doesn't matter that they could run Jackson, Barnes, and Harrington at him while playing in front and behind.

Game 5 shows that the Warriors were just better than us head to head. Dirk had a 30/12/3 69.4% TS game with only 2 turnovers and we were down 9 with 3 minutes to go. They were just better as a team...didn't matter to be honest what Dirk did. We got lucky as shit that Dirk got hot late in that game and the Warriors kind of choked or we would have lost in 5 and not 6.

If the Grizzlies are so much better and Durant has less help...why are the Thunder not getting blown out?

How did they not get down 3-1 with Durant playing like he has?

It's all about Durant's team being better.

Dirk was at 22/12/2 54% TS 2 turnovers in that series through 5 games. It was his game 6 that was dreadful...and it resulted in a 25 point loss...LOL

Durant is at 28/10/4 49% TS 4 turnovers in this series. His team has lost close game after close game despite him playing poorly they've managed to keep it close. 4 straight overtime games compared to the Mavs losing games by 12, 18, and 25 points????

All Durant is doing is shooting a lot more. He's taking 9 more shots per game and scoring like 6 more points. He's turning it over more...and the Grizzlies are getting away with straight up singling him even when Allen isn't out there.

Durant is playing 48 minutes per game. Allen is playing 33 minutes. Durant is out there for 15 minutes a game without Allen. LOL

Also, nobody on the Grizzlies is going off the way Baron Davis did. Baron Davis killed the Mavs in 07 with a 25/6/6 65% TS series. Nobody on the Grizzlies is close to playing that well...in fact, the hated Perkins guy is doing a really solid job on Randolph holding him to sub 40% shooting for the series iirc.