PDA

View Full Version : I like Marc Gasol but... what is so spectacular about him?

Jameerthefear
04-30-2014, 05:34 PM
Elite defender, below average rebounder, average scorer. Why do people overrate him?

Akrazotile
04-30-2014, 05:35 PM
His cawk

Jameerthefear
04-30-2014, 05:41 PM
Negged

-Lebron23-
04-30-2014, 05:42 PM
Box score watcher alert

TheReal Kendall
04-30-2014, 05:45 PM
No need to explain this, just watch him play

atljonesbro
Sweet analysis.

Jameerthefear
I watch him play too. Like I said, elite defender, and an important cog in the offense, but there's nothing spectacular about him.

04-30-2014, 05:46 PM
He's spectacularly unspectacular.

Starting w/ his stiff legged jump shot.

secund2nun
04-30-2014, 05:46 PM
Gasol is an elite player, but he is not better than Howard.

TheReal Kendall
04-30-2014, 05:49 PM
Sweet analysis.

Seriously though if you watch him you will see how important he is to that team.

I've never seen or heard anyone overrate him on here or outside of ISH.

If you wanna talk about overrated see Dwight Howard

Black and White
Need to watch him play, he is very skilled in the post, but also has a finesse midrange game, elite defender, great hustle. I don't think you are giving him enough credit.

Smook A.
Gasol is an elite player, but he is not better than Howard.
An elite player is spectacular on everything they can do. Centers rebound, play defense and score. Gasol can play defense but his rebounding is below average for his size and his scoring is decent. I think he's just a good player not an elite one.

atljonesbro
04-30-2014, 05:50 PM
Seriously though if you watch him you will see how important he is to that team.

I've never seen or heard anyone overrate him on here or outside of ISH.

If you wanna talk about overrated see Dwight Howard
I've watched him. Good defender, good passer, shit scorer, shit rebounder for his size. The guy is shooting 41% right now at 7'1.

Levity
04-30-2014, 05:51 PM
I think spectacular is the wrong word to use, cause no one thinks hes spectacular. he is how you described him, except you forgot to add his above average bball IQ. also, the guy has a huge body, but is plenty mobile with it. and as for rebounding, hes plays with a guy name z-bo (boards) who will eat up rebounds from him, but like brook lopez, hes great at boxing out and positioning his body, allowing his teammates to get rebounds. Hes a very skilled passer and lastly, the dudes a warrior. last year he suffered an abdominal tear at the end of the season. the expected time for him to miss was something like 5 weeks. he was back a week later.

tpols
04-30-2014, 05:51 PM
I've watched him. Good defender, good passer, shit scorer, shit rebounder for his size. The guy is shooting 41% right now at 7'1.

He's the former DPOY and is the best passing center/big man in the entire league. That qualifies as more than just 'good'.

Jameerthefear
04-30-2014, 05:52 PM
Need to watch him play, he is very skilled in the post, but also has a finesse midrange game, elite defender, great hustle. I don't think you are giving him enough credit.
Who cares how skilled he is in the post if he shoots such an average % from there? His jumpshooting is good, but not on the level of say Nikola Vucevic.

Jameerthefear
04-30-2014, 05:52 PM
He's the former DPOY and is the best passing center/big man in the entire league. That qualifies as more than just 'good'.
Joakim Noah is a better passer tbh

tpols
04-30-2014, 05:53 PM
I think spectacular is the wrong word to use, cause no one thinks hes spectacular. he is how you described him, except you forgot to add his above average bball IQ. also, the guy has a huge body, but is plenty mobile with it. and as for rebounding, hes places with a guy name z-bo (boards) who will eat up rebounds from him, but like brook lopez, hes great at boxing out and positioning his body, allowing his teammates to get rebounds. and lastly, the dudes a warrior. last year he suffered an abdominal tear at the end of the season. the expected time for him to miss was something like 5 weeks. he was back a week later.

tony allen's also averaging 9 rebounds per game in the playoffs.. unreal for a SG. Memphis gang rebounds.. marc is their biggest body to clear out with. Hes not out there playing for stats.

TheReal Kendall
04-30-2014, 05:53 PM

Seriously? He's one of the most skilled bigs in the league. Good post and midrange game.

He's an all around big.

Akrazotile
04-30-2014, 05:54 PM
He is not even an elite player. Just a good one.

Yes he is.

atljonesbro
04-30-2014, 05:55 PM
Seriously? He's one of the most skilled bigs in the league. Good post and midrange game.

He's an all around big.
So skilled he's shooting 41%

Jameerthefear
04-30-2014, 05:55 PM
I think spectacular is the wrong word to use, cause no one thinks hes spectacular. he is how you described him, except you forgot to add his above average bball IQ. also, the guy has a huge body, but is plenty mobile with it. and as for rebounding, hes plays with a guy name z-bo (boards) who will eat up rebounds from him, but like brook lopez, hes great at boxing out and positioning his body, allowing his teammates to get rebounds. Hes a very skilled passer and lastly, the dudes a warrior. last year he suffered an abdominal tear at the end of the season. the expected time for him to miss was something like 5 weeks. he was back a week later.
I agree. Like I said. Good player, but no on a center like Dwight's level.

Jameerthefear
04-30-2014, 05:56 PM

He's an all around big.
He's skilled, but honestly a player like Nikola Vucevic is more offensively skilled and shoots a higher %

TheReal Kendall
04-30-2014, 05:56 PM
I agree. Like I said. Good player, but no on a center like Dwight's level.

He has more impact on the game than Howard. He does more also.

@atl you put too much stock in shooting %

I never seen Nikola play so I can't speak on him

Jameerthefear
04-30-2014, 05:58 PM

He doesn't have near the impact Howard has imo

bdreason
04-30-2014, 05:58 PM
His ability to defend and play from the high post is what makes him so valuable.

Black and White
04-30-2014, 05:59 PM
Who cares how skilled he is in the post if he shoots such an average % from there? His jumpshooting is good, but not on the level of say Nikola Vucevic.

His jumpshot is fine, I think you are putting too much stock into his stats, as a player he is the most important piece to his team, look at their record once he came back.

atljonesbro
04-30-2014, 06:00 PM

That's garbage. Howard puts up MUCH MUCH more measurable production as well as has just as much if not more unmeasurable production. He's literally all they have defensively. Give Howard all those perimeter defenders Gasol has and he'd look like the far and away best defensive player in the league.

Jameerthefear
04-30-2014, 06:00 PM
His jumpshot is fine, I think you are putting too much stock into his stats, as a player he is the most important piece to his team, look at their record once he came back.
Is he important to his team? Yes. Very much so, but that doesn't make him an elite player.

sammichoffate
04-30-2014, 06:01 PM
Marc is one of those players who LITERALLY makes everyone around him better. His stats are just a by-product of his play, they don't measure up to his value on the court. It's similar to having Duncan on your team. If someone like Dwight is considered "elite", then Marc's above average/borderline elite. The value of either one is dependent on the team that has either of them though. Marc can facilitate offense much better than Dwight, while Dwight is a force on the glass and a better defender than Marc.

TheReal Kendall
04-30-2014, 06:02 PM
That's garbage. Howard puts up MUCH MUCH more measurable production as well as has just as much if not more unmeasurable production. He's literally all they have defensively. Give Howard all those perimeter defenders Gasol has and he'd look like the far and away best defensive player in the league.

They wouldn't be in the playoffs though

Jameerthefear
04-30-2014, 06:03 PM
What makes you say that?

TheReal Kendall
04-30-2014, 06:03 PM
Marc is one of those players who LITERALLY makes everyone around him better. His stats are just a by-product of his play, they don't measure up to his value on the court. It's similar to having Duncan on your team.

Exactly. People just looking at his stats

tpols
04-30-2014, 06:04 PM

can you imagine a team where dwight tries to go to work on the low block with mike conley and tony allen on the perimeter?:roll:

There's a reason they try to surround him with shooters.. to make doubling as costly/hard as possible. Z-bo and Dwight all congested in the paint.. its why Gasol plays from the high post, to give spacing to everybody else on the team.

They would literally field the ugliest offense in the history of sports.

iznogood
04-30-2014, 06:05 PM
Marc Gasol is every bit as good at passing as Noah if not better. Noah gets a lot of assists because Chicago's offensive system is oriented around his only offensive skill, but Gasol is still more skilled. He's great at passing out of double team and outlet passes and he makes all kind of flashy passes including off hand behind the back, no looking touch passes and wraparound passes.

Black and White
Is he important to his team? Yes. Very much so, but that doesn't make him an elite player.

His defense is what makes him great, I try to stay away from the superlatives like "elite" because I think it should be reserved for only a few players, but there is no question that he is an elite defender, there is no stats that can really show how good he is on that end of the ball though.

Relinquish
Joakim Noah is a better passer tbh

Don't believe the media hype. This is because Hinrich and Augustin can't run an offense and Noah was forced to run it for much of the season at the high post. Gasol averages those assist numbers if with Conley.

Dresta
04-30-2014, 06:06 PM
This. Guy's is getting flak for not being a rebound whore like K-Love.

TheReal Kendall
04-30-2014, 06:09 PM
What makes you say that?

This:

can you imagine a team where dwight tries to go to work on the low block with mike conley and tony allen on the perimeter?:roll:

There's a reason they try to surround him with shooters.. to make doubling as costly/hard as possible. Z-bo and Dwight all congested in the paint.. its why Gasol plays from the high post, to give spacing to everybody else on the team.

They would literally field the ugliest offense in the history of sports.

Boarder Patrol
He really isn't a bad rebounder. He's constantly boxing out and opening up rebounds for his teammates, he understands it's not about the stats. Playing next to Z-Bo who's always been a huge rebounder doesn't "help" his stats either.

Elite defender which everyone can agree on.

Elite passing big, possibly the best in the game. His point #'s don't do justice to his scoring, as he's passing out of the post a ton and making plays, picking his spots.

atljonesbro
And could you imagine Marc Gasol playing at the Rockets pace? I mean Dwight should be on a half-court team but Gasol wouldn't pass half-court before somebody chucks a 3.

They wouldn't even feed him in the post for most of the regular season and they don't even box out. Making it hard to rebound.

On top of that, there are terrible defenders left and right so he would never make an impact.

By all means, Dwight Howard even getting this team to the 4th seed is amazing. Something Gasol wouldn't manage to do.
Gasol would be a sub 40% shooter. Basically useless on the offensive end besides his passing. He can't rebound either so offensive rebounding is out of the question.

Black and White
04-30-2014, 06:10 PM
And could you imagine Marc Gasol playing at the Rockets pace? I mean Dwight should be on a half-court team but Gasol wouldn't pass half-court before somebody chucks a 3.

They wouldn't even feed him in the post for most of the regular season and they don't even box out. Making it hard to rebound.

On top of that, there are terrible defenders left and right so he would never make an impact.

By all means, Dwight Howard even getting this team to the 4th seed is amazing. Something Gasol wouldn't manage to do.

Why are you busy propping up the Rockets when you are down 3-1 and nearly got swept when the Grizz are leading the Thunder 3-2????

JellyBean
04-30-2014, 06:10 PM

Pretty much sums it up right here.

sammichoffate
04-30-2014, 06:11 PM

By all means, Dwight Howard even getting this team to the 4th seed is amazing. Something Gasol wouldn't manage to do.If you put Dwight on the Memphis team, he would cry. He doesn't fit their system at all. Unless they got rid of Randolph, Dwight would be just as bad as Marc. Honestly Houston is a good place for Dwight, Mchale is just an idiot who doesn't know how to use rotations correctly.

AnaheimLakers24
04-30-2014, 06:13 PM
marc > howard.

op is a fgt and his mom a hoe

SilkkTheShocker
04-30-2014, 06:13 PM
Dwight >>> Gasol

sammichoffate
04-30-2014, 06:15 PM
marc > howard.

op is a fgt and his mom a hoedayum :oldlol:

Droid101
04-30-2014, 06:18 PM
Gasol would be a sub 40% shooter. Basically useless on the offensive end besides his passing. He can't rebound either so offensive rebounding is out of the question.
Wow.... people really just flat out don't watch games do they?

Levity
04-30-2014, 06:22 PM
Houston does not fit his style whatsoever. . .

Thats not true. dwights style is a 4 out, 1 in fast paced offense. exactly what HOU is using.

sammichoffate
04-30-2014, 06:23 PM
Back the claim up. With some actual weight. Houston does not fit his style whatsoever. Yet he still manages to produce. They don't even have a system on both ends. And yes on top of that McHale does not use rotatiosn well at all.

Howard would make the Grizzlies defense so sick. Like literally a rich man's gasol defnesively. I really can't even imagine it.

More mobile, better rebounder, better shot blocker. Just needs a good coach, some good defnders, and a system.That Houston team is literally made the same way as Dwight's Magic teams. The only difference is Harden. Houston is Run and Gun, same style as the Magic teams that relied on threes and kicking the ball inside to Howard. They also both use Stretch 4's. If Mchale was a better coach, he would've implemented a similar system as SVG when they got to the Finals in 09. What he would give Memphis on defense he would take away on offense, Dwight isn't half the playmaker that Marc is. He's also a liability at the freethrow line and can't hit midrange shots to spread the defense out. Happy? :facepalm

Levity
04-30-2014, 06:27 PM
And SVG had an incredibly effective defnsive system and actually ran plays and hybrid PnR's other than Iso's.

Dwight is not a good PnR player though. Lin is a pretty damn good pick and roll passer, and there have been times where their connection is spot on. but for the most part, dwight cannot use a high pick and roll to save his life. this is why they allow harden to do what he does.

atljonesbro
04-30-2014, 06:29 PM
Thats not true. dwights style is a 4 out, 1 in fast paced offense. exactly what HOU is using.
He doesn't fit the style but he'd still be better than Gasol. Better defensive player, better scorer, better rebounder. I don't see him putting up 14/7 on 45% for any team.

Levity
04-30-2014, 06:30 PM
:sleeping

hes hesistant, has trouble holding onto the ball, and doesnt roll hard to the basket. but sleep through the truth all you want.

tpols
04-30-2014, 06:31 PM
these fvcking rocket fans.. they are straight up delusional:facepalm

Black and White
04-30-2014, 06:32 PM
With LA maybe.

If he couldn't play PnR with a player like Nash then he isn't very good in the PnR, as much as you like to think he is.

sammichoffate
04-30-2014, 06:32 PM
these fvcking rocket fans.. they are straight up delusional:facepalmLet them believe what they want to believe, it's their right to. Even if they're completely wrong and getting wrecked by Portland :lol

SCdac
04-30-2014, 06:38 PM
Their H2H stats are interesting.

Dwight - 13.7 ppg / 11 rpg (2 off) / 1 apg / 2.3 bpg / .48 FG% / .58 FT%
Gasol - 12.0 ppg / 7 rpg (2 off) / 3 apg / 1.4 bpg / .60 FG% / .68 FT%

Grizz - 7 wins .... ORL/LAL/HOU - 3 wins

Black and White
04-30-2014, 06:40 PM
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/02/28/pick-and-roll-data-likes-the-suns/

Since people obviously don't want to acknowledge with their eyes how good Dwight is at PNR. I have to post the undeniable stats,

And by the way.

Howard > Gasol
Point blank.

/Thread.

Well Howard is getting booted out of the playoffs today, while Gasol can make it to the 2nd round.

Black and White
04-30-2014, 06:42 PM
You act like he had Peak 31 Y/O Steve Nash. You also act like Nash even played much basketball last year.

You ALSO act like he was even remotely healthy.

Fact is, Howard and Nash barely even got chances to do it.

Bullshit! Nash played enough for them to experiment with it, Dwight was arguing with Nash during the season about it. Nash doesn't need to be in his prime to run the PnR.

Black and White
04-30-2014, 06:43 PM
And you'll still be a Celtics fan obsessing over arguments that you have nothing to do with.

While offering nothing to either end in the process.

Whats wrong with being a Celtics fan, we were tanking, that was the goal, at least we can do that bit right, Houston was supposed to be a championship team, they couldn't even do that properly.

Rocketswin2013
04-30-2014, 06:46 PM
Whats wrong with being a Celtics fan, we were tanking, that was the goal, at least we can do that bit right, Houston was supposed to be a championship team, they couldn't even do that properly.
:lol Why are you in this thread arguing about shit that you have nothing to do with?

And Houston was definitely not supposed to be a championship team this year. Only idiots like you even thought that. Even Daryl Morey said they weren't. The goal was to mature and see if Howard could get to healthy form again. He did. The maturity, eh.

Getting out of the 1st round would have been easy but it's a blessing because they'll get a much better coach next year.

dontgetchoked
04-30-2014, 07:11 PM
dwight is unpopular so marc is better. Obviously.

MMM
04-30-2014, 07:32 PM
I watch him play too. Like I said, elite defender, and an important cog in the offense, but there's nothing spectacular about him.

Elite defender but nothing spectacular about him

:biggums:

PickernRoller
04-30-2014, 07:36 PM
Gotta agree with the 13 year old serial anime pedo here.

The Gasol brothers are both soft. The only difference between Marc and Pau is that Pau is both, mentally soft and physically soft. His brother only suffers from the mental syndrome.

ZenMaster
04-30-2014, 08:21 PM
An elite player is spectacular on everything they can do. Centers rebound, play defense and score. Gasol can play defense but his rebounding is below average for his size and his scoring is decent. I think he's just a good player not an elite one.

By your definition, who are the elite players in the league?

Marlo_Stanfield
04-30-2014, 08:25 PM
as everyone on his team hes unfortunately a HUGE choker, otherwise could be top 20 in this league easily

Jameerthefear
04-30-2014, 08:26 PM
B&W is so stupid. Dwight is the best PnR player in the NBA.

Miller for 3
04-30-2014, 08:27 PM
Elite defender, below average rebounder, average scorer. Why do people overrate him?

No offense, but you are a ****ing moron. Watch a game. I know the Grizzlies play past your bedtime, but ask momma if you can stay up and watch their next game.

absalom
04-30-2014, 08:29 PM
Who cares if he is not spectacular, he gets the job done. :confusedshrug:

FKAri
04-30-2014, 08:42 PM
Dude's tentative on offense. He's capable of scoring more than he does but he doesn't seem to want to. Been like this the past 3-4 seasons with him.

Marlo_Stanfield
04-30-2014, 08:44 PM
B&W is so stupid. Dwight is the best PnR player in the NBA.
no he isnt.
why??
because he doesnt want to.
he rather wants to post up to impress shaq:facepalm :facepalm

Droid101
04-30-2014, 08:57 PM

<ether.jpg>

SilkkTheShocker
04-30-2014, 09:03 PM
A lot of butthurt Laker fans still mad Dwight dumped them

Brizzly
04-30-2014, 09:20 PM
Howard would make the Grizzlies defense so sick. Like literally a rich man's gasol defensively. I really can't even imagine it.

That is what I thought when Bynum was traded for Howard:sleeping

More mobile, better rebounder, better shot blocker. Just needs a good coach, some good defnders, and a system.

More mobile? better shot blocker? GIMMIE IBAKA!!!

Stop looking at stats, they dont mean a shit when it comes down to it. Grizzlies would seriously have anally raped Rockets and Marc would have shut down Howard like he has done consistently the last couple of years.

Marc > Howard

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2540973/howarddealwithit.gif

Brizzly
04-30-2014, 09:21 PM

Reaffirms what I knew.

Just looked it up and Dwight hasn't scored more than 10 points the last five meetings.

Droid101
04-30-2014, 09:39 PM
A lot of butthurt Laker fans still mad Dwight dumped them
Butthurt bran stan here still mad about... well, everything.

AussieG
04-30-2014, 09:52 PM
What's spectacular about him?

Nothing.

Except maybe his ball IQ and intangibles. He has a good basketball mind and a good attitude. Easy to coach and always learning and improving.

There is no one thing that stands out that he does amazingly well.

However.. he's solid in pretty much everything, way better than his brother was. I saw them both play for years, and cheered them both on.. and Pau was good in one or two areas that stood out.. and Marc is good at everything. He also has a toughness and physical play. He plays D, passes well, shoots well, shoots FT's well, sees the floor well. He's an all around player that gives you a bit of everything. He's a bit slow, but at the C position that's ok. It's rare that 7 footers run the floor like Tyson Chandler does and for example.. players like DJ or Chander hurt you in other ways. Marc doesn't hurt you in other ways, he helps in pretty much everything.

I'm not talking about stats but how they actually play the game. Stats are for lazy people. Stats wise, Thunder would be sweeping the Grizz and you wouldn't even need to watch. Instead it's 3-2 Grizzlies with 4 OT games in a row. Stats can't predict that.. that's why they play the games.

I will give you an example. Thunder haven't won back to back games in this series. Grizzlies have.

So that does mean that Thunder have no chance of winning? That they can't win 2 in a row? That's stupid to think that. Everyone acts like something can't happen.. and then it does, and then they try to pretend they knew it'd happen all along.

Marc is a beast. He's just not flashy or good at any ONE thing. He's solid at everything. I'd much prefer him over Dwight, because he doesn't hurt you in the ways that Dwight does. He gives you less, but hurts you less. And the way he helps, is in terms of chemistry and offensive flow.

He is not a cancer either.. very little ego. Very rare in this league. Any team that he is on would be a better team with him as the C.

He and Conley are the MVP's of the Grizz.. the core that holds it all together. Z-Bo and TA are the X factors but the other two are the core. Especially when it comes to offensive flow and defense. Two of the most important things for any team.

305Baller
04-30-2014, 09:54 PM
Big men dont need to be spectacular, only effective

Brizzly
04-30-2014, 09:55 PM

Nothing.

Except maybe his ball IQ and intangibles. He has a good basketball mind and a good attitude. Easy to coach and always learning and improving.

However.. he's solid in pretty much everything, way better than his brother was. I saw them both play for years, and cheered them both on.. and Pau was good in one or two areas that stood out.. and Marc is good at everything. He also has a toughness and physical play. He plays D, passes well, shoots well, shoots FT's well, sees the floor well. He's an all around player that gives you a bit of everything. He's a bit slow, but at the C position that's ok. It's rare that 7 footers run the floor like Tyson Chandler does and for example.. players like DJ or Chander hurt you in other ways. Marc doesn't hurt you in other ways, he helps in pretty much everything.

I'm not talking about stats but how they actually play the game. Stats are for lazy people. Stats wise, Thunder would be sweeping the Grizz and you wouldn't even need to watch. Instead it's 3-2 Grizzlies with 4 OT games in a row. Stats can't predict that.. that's why they play the games.

I will give you an example. Thunder haven't won back to back games in this series. Grizzlies have.

So that does mean that Thunder have no chance of winning? That they can't win 2 in a row? That's stupid to think that. Everyone acts like something can't happen.. and then it does, and then they try to pretend they knew it'd happen all along.

Marc is a beast. He's just not flashy or good at any ONE thing. He's solid at everything. I'd much prefer him over Dwight, because he doesn't hurt you in the ways that Dwight does. He gives you less, but hurts you less. And the way he helps, is in terms of chemistry and offensive flow.

He is not a cancer either.. very little ego. Very rare in this league. Any team that he is on would be a better team with him as the C.

He and Conley are the MVP's of the Grizz.. the core that holds it all together. Z-Bo and TA are the X factors but the other two are the core. Especially when it comes to offensive flow and defense. Two of the most important things for any team.

Pau was a great offensive player while being a solid defender in his prime, I would without doubt take him over Marc. I might be a bit biased but whatever.

Artillery
04-30-2014, 10:24 PM
Anybody calling him one of the best bigs in the league is overrating him. Middling offensive player(Pau is so much better on that end). Good defense(though he got raped on the PnR last year against SA) Great role player overall. Not a star big man though.

ZenMaster
04-30-2014, 10:33 PM
Anybody calling him one of the best bigs in the league is overrating him. Middling offensive player(Pau is so much better on that end). Good defense(though he got raped on the PnR last year against SA) Great role player overall. Not a star big man though.

There is no way the Grizzlies have been doing so much better with Gasol vs without if it wasn't for him being one of the best centers in the NBA.

VIntageNOvel
04-30-2014, 11:09 PM
jameer mad gasol is better than dwight ever was

deja vu
04-30-2014, 11:30 PM
Marc is the main reason why the Grizzlies are in the playoffs.

sd3035
05-01-2014, 12:00 AM
His 1cm vert jumpshot is rather unique, some might say spectacular

andremiller07
05-01-2014, 03:21 AM
The fact he helps you win games more than just about any other player in the L.

oarabbus
05-01-2014, 03:55 AM
Big men dont need to be spectacular, only effective

Timmeh!

AintNoSunshine
05-01-2014, 05:21 AM
Because decently skilled bigs have almost gone extinct.

GimmeThat
05-01-2014, 05:27 AM
Nothing.

Besides the fact that I don't even know if Anthony Davis could outplay him right now.

YouGotServed
05-01-2014, 06:00 AM
Marc Gasol is a good player. Without him the Grizzlies don't make the playoffs. Having said that, are people really arguing he's better than Dwight Howard?

Like, is this real life? :oldlol:

kNIOKAS
05-01-2014, 06:06 AM

Nothing.

And that's all you want from a big man. He's one of the best centers in the league right now.

Yet guys like Dwight Howard and Andrew Bynum are?

Marc Gasol is a good player. Without him the Grizzlies don't make the playoffs. Having said that, are people really arguing he's better than Dwight Howard?

Like, is this real life? :oldlol:
Well if you consider impact..?

YouGotServed
05-01-2014, 06:09 AM
Well if you consider impact..?

I consider logic, sport.

kNIOKAS
05-01-2014, 06:11 AM
I consider logic, sport.
What's your logic then?

YouGotServed
05-01-2014, 06:14 AM
What's your logic then?

Dwight is better at every facet of the game defensively. Offensively Marc is the better passer and has better touch around the rim. Dwight is better at almost everything else.

MJ(Mean John)
05-01-2014, 06:42 AM
Career 14.5/8/3/1.5/1 playing along ZBO.

Marc is really a guy is a lot more effective than his stats show, although he has good stats. Really big body who really can do it all, and does it well.

kNIOKAS
05-01-2014, 06:50 AM
Dwight is better at every facet of the game defensively. Offensively Marc is the better passer and has better touch around the rim. Dwight is better at almost everything else.
That's a good evaluation for nba 2k14.

YouGotServed
05-01-2014, 06:57 AM
That's a good evaluation for nba 2k14.

Slit your wrists. Kill yourself immediately. The world is a better place without you.

MJ(Mean John)
05-01-2014, 07:00 AM
Slit your wrists. Kill yourself immediately. The world is a better place without you.

Damn n.igga. Do you think at all when you post?

Gotdamn did your mother not hug you enough when you were a child?

kurple
05-01-2014, 07:04 AM
define spectacular.

is it because he doesnt do crazy crossovers, spin moves or dunks from the FT line?

his impact on an basketball game is MASSIVE. with his defense, leadership, efficient scoring and elite big man passing. you know that Marc will make the right play

cant look past his FT shooting either

YouGotServed
05-01-2014, 09:05 AM

Damn n.igga. Do you think at all when you post?

Gotdamn did your mother not hug you enough when you were a child?

Guy was being a douche :confusedshrug: Act like an asshole and I'll treat you like an asshole.

kNIOKAS
05-01-2014, 09:24 AM
Guy was being a douche :confusedshrug: Act like an asshole and I'll treat you like an asshole.
You must be head-heavy from all the trolling. :rolleyes:

FireDavidKahn
05-01-2014, 09:37 AM
Gasol is an incredible defender, even better than Noah/Howard/Sanders.

YouGotServed
05-01-2014, 10:11 AM
You must be head-heavy from all the trolling. :rolleyes:

Cool story. Tell it again.

turnaroundJ
05-01-2014, 10:15 AM
One of the only bigs who can both run the offense and anchor the defense at an elite level. He'll never average huge stats, but his impact is clearly seen when you watch the games.

Bandito
05-01-2014, 10:39 AM
Dwight is just faster and more athletic, but IQ wise Gasol is better at everything than Dwight.

YouGotServed
05-01-2014, 10:50 AM
Dwight is just faster and more athletic, but IQ wise Gasol is better at everything than Dwight.

lol what is this?

Dwight's basketball IQ is pretty high. Like I said. Marc is the better passer and has better touch around the rim. Dwight is better at everything else.

sd3035
05-01-2014, 10:53 AM
lol what is this?

Dwight's basketball IQ is pretty high. Like I said. Marc is the better passer and has better touch around the rim. Dwight is better at everything else.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :lol :lol :lol :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

Bandito
05-01-2014, 10:53 AM
lol what is this?

Never said Dwight IQ was low (well it is but I never said that in that other post) I just said Gasol's higher. He knows when to be on offense, never commits a lot of errors and his positioning is great. He's good at playing without the ball and his defense depends on positioning rather than out muscling or out speeding the other guy.

YouGotServed
05-01-2014, 10:56 AM
Never said Dwight IQ was low (well it is but I never said that in that other post) I just said Gasol's higher. He knows when to be on offense, never commits a lot of errors and his positioning is great. He's good at playing without the ball and his defense depends on positioning rather than out muscling or out speeding the other guy.

all of this can also be said about Dwight. still don't know what makes Marc the better center. Dwight's IQ is one of the best in the league btw.

sd3035
05-01-2014, 11:02 AM
all of this can also be said about Dwight. still don't know what makes Marc the better center. Dwight's IQ is one of the best in the league btw.

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Demitri98
05-01-2014, 11:04 AM
Have you noticed how Memphis' offense runs through him and Conley? I don't want to sound like a Hibbert stan from the first half of the season, but Gasol's impact goes so far beyond stats.

Bandito
05-01-2014, 11:06 AM
Is not funny anymore:mad:

THe only reason Dwight is considered the better center is because of his athletic abilities.

mr.big35
05-01-2014, 11:07 AM
because he doesnt do high flying dunks and get excited anytime he does something. many reason kids dont rate Tim Duncan because his game boring to them.

YouGotServed
05-01-2014, 11:09 AM
Is not funny anymore:mad:

THe only reason Dwight is considered the better center is because of his athletic abilities.

Um, Dwight is considered the better center because he's better at everything both offensively and defensively except passing and touch around the rim.

I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

ZenMaster
05-01-2014, 11:17 AM
Um, Dwight is considered the better center because he's better at everything both offensively and defensively except passing and touch around the rim.

There aren't many who thinks that besides yourself.

YouGotServed
05-01-2014, 11:18 AM
There aren't many who thinks that besides yourself.

No.

SuperCereal
05-01-2014, 11:24 AM
I know he is white and I supporting him all the way, but i somewhat agree. Think about it, he is not flashy or making cool dunks. Just being white can't make him cool, sorry but I'm not a racist.

Mr. NBA
05-01-2014, 12:54 PM

Wow. Marc has better footwork, post moves, mid range, free throws, passing, and defensive positioning. Howard is a better rebounder on defense and athletically superior. His athleticism is the only reason he is better than Marc, not his skill.

YouGotServed
05-01-2014, 01:16 PM
His athleticism is the only reason he is better than Marc, not his skill.

Athleticism is part of the NBA. Athleticism is what makes Westbrook one of the best pgs in the NBA.

At least you aren't delusional and understand that Marc is the inferior center though.

RoundMoundOfReb
05-01-2014, 01:18 PM
Howard is better than Gasol but Gasol is definitely a top 5 center in the Association.

atljonesbro
05-01-2014, 01:19 PM
Damn, people actually think Gasol is better than Howard :oldlol: I thought it was just some kind of hipster thing to say but this forum really is lost.

kNIOKAS
05-01-2014, 01:45 PM
Damn, people actually think Gasol is better than Howard :oldlol: I thought it was just some kind of hipster thing to say but this forum really is lost.
I think that Gasol is one of the best centers in the league, and Howard is not that much better.

sd3035
05-01-2014, 01:48 PM
Howard is a soft perennial loser and choker with one of the worst basketball IQs in the league, he is obviously a better athlete though

YouGotServed
05-01-2014, 01:50 PM
I think that Gasol is one of the best centers in the league, and Howard is not that much better.

Howard is better. Deal with it.

kNIOKAS
05-01-2014, 01:56 PM
Howard is better. Deal with it.
I don't have to deal with anything. He might be better on you game console, he might not be better in an actual game where basketball has to be played.

YouGotServed
05-01-2014, 01:59 PM
I don't have to deal with anything. He might be better on you game console, he might not be better in an actual game where basketball has to be played.

Except you JUST said Howard is better.

Try again, sport.

IMObjective
05-01-2014, 02:03 PM
The gap isn't so big that you should find it funny, it really is close. In fact, it's very hard to say one is definitely better because of how different they are and everyone prefers different things. There wont be a dominating opinion on this matter.

Fedor - Laker
05-01-2014, 02:11 PM
If I were going to start a league and I had to choose between Gasol or Howard, I'd take Gasol any day of the week.

Howard is a mental case with the worst bball IQ I've ever seen. Very rarely does he make plays for himself, and isn't aware how much spacing or clogging he does on the floor. He is oblivious to it. He does not rise up when things get tight either and I have never seen him be clutch in any situation.

Gasol on the other hand, you can rely on him in tough situations. He won't commit stupid fouls (unless refs want to help KD out) like Dwight and send players to the free throw line. Need proof, watch the last 4 OT games against Thunders.

Dwight is the better athlete, writing that is even understatement. Gasol is the much better more reliable player though.

GimmeThat
05-01-2014, 02:56 PM
I don't know

he definitely doesn't sell sneakers.

Dro
05-01-2014, 03:42 PM
Have you noticed how Memphis' offense runs through him and Conley? I don't want to sound like a Hibbert stan from the first half of the season, but Gasol's impact goes so far beyond stats.
Its funny because before Hibbert imploded, people including me were arguing the SAME points for him that people are arguing for Marc in this thread...He doesn't grab rebounds because he boxes out and allows teammates to get rebounds..His impact on defense was even more than Marc's and on offense he was "decent". I remember posting their stats and they were NEARLY IDENTICAL with Roy avg more blocks and shooting like 1% lower, averaging basically the same amount of rebounds and Roy avg. like 1 ppg less...

Now obviously that was BEFORE Roy's epic meltdown so I've BEEN done trying to make excuses for him...But BEFORE? Yes, folks were making the same arguments for him and others were clowning players like Brook Lopez and Roy for boxing out and letting teammates get rebounds...Paul George and Lance Stephenson are avg. the most rebounds of their career, yet Roy was still being chastised for avg basically 7 rpg which is what Marc averages, correct?

Again, before the trolls get started, ROY HAS PROVEN TO BE GARBAGE FOR A THE 2ND PART OF THE SEASON...

However, I think we all can agree that some part of it is mental, or most of it...I think that much is obvious...At his best, which is NOT elite, he was = to Marc and even above him according to many posters...I can pull up more than a few threads from the 1st part of the season and even the offseason to prove the point...

Having said that, give me Gasol on my team anyday over Howard..Like others said, he's good at everything and only helps your team, not HURT them...

At this point, Id give anything to have Marc Gasol on the Pacers..

Jameerthefear
05-01-2014, 04:45 PM
The funny thing is that if Gasol was on the Rockets they would have gotten swept, no lie. Gasol is the better defender atm, but once the 4th q rolls around Dwight just makes those defensive stops that Gasol just isn't capable of. Evidenced in this series especially where Dwight has gotten huge blocks, stopping LMA, etc. late in games. Plays that Gasol would dream of making.

Black and White
05-01-2014, 04:55 PM
The funny thing is that if Gasol was on the Rockets they would have gotten swept, no lie. Gasol is the better defender atm, but once the 4th q rolls around Dwight just makes those defensive stops that Gasol just isn't capable of. Evidenced in this series especially where Dwight has gotten huge blocks, stopping LMA, etc. late in games. Plays that Gasol would dream of making.

Gasol would be great on the offensive end come 4th quarter, yes he might not get those blocks but he is skilled enough defensively to cause some turnovers/bad shots to be taken, I don't think you are giving him enough credit here Jameer, acting like there is a big gap when is reality its impossible to seperate them.

Jameerthefear
05-01-2014, 04:59 PM
Gasol would be great on the offensive end come 4th quarter, yes he might not get those blocks but he is skilled enough defensively to cause some turnovers/bad shots to be taken, I don't think you are giving him enough credit here Jameer, acting like there is a big gap when is reality its impossible to seperate them.
Not really. Gasol doesn't have half the success, awards, or respect Dwight has. You're acting like it's close when it isn't. Gasol isn't a very good scorer, but he is a good passer which does benefit the offense I admit, but the most important thing for a bigman is to rebound and protect the basket which Dwight is better than Gasol at doing.

Olacinco
05-01-2014, 04:59 PM

jameer brah... what happened to you..?

you've turned into the biggest troll dis season... and not the good troll dat you used to be :facepalm

RidonKs
05-01-2014, 05:03 PM
i'd rather have gasol and asik working against the blazers frontline than howard and whoever. jones could come in at the right times to spell either.

gasol would also fit in much better with the rockets perimeter, as opposed to stagnant offense when howard posts up or just flat out excluding howard when he doesn't. howard has been terrific the past six games but he doesn't have the versatility necessary to get the most out of his supporting cast.

i still think dwight has areas he can and will improve in next season but not any time soon

Jameerthefear
05-01-2014, 05:05 PM
i'd rather have gasol and asik working against the blazers frontline than howard and whoever. jones could come in at the right times to spell either.

gasol would also fit in much better with the rockets perimeter, as opposed to stagnant offense when howard posts up or just flat out excluding howard when he doesn't. howard has been terrific the past six games but he doesn't have the versatility necessary to get the most out of his supporting cast.

i still think dwight has areas he can and will improve in next season but not any time soon
Gasol's passing just isn't enough to offset Dwight's scoring this season and especially this series. That's just a fact.

Black and White
05-01-2014, 05:06 PM
Not really. Gasol doesn't have half the success, awards, or respect Dwight has. You're acting like it's close when it isn't. Gasol isn't a very good scorer, but he is a good passer which does benefit the offense I admit, but the most important thing for a bigman is to rebound and protect the basket which Dwight is better than Gasol at doing.

Disagree, there are bigmen that are better on the offensive end, look at Blake Griffin, he isn't known to be an elite defender, but he is amazing on the offensive end, it is very close between Gasol and Howard, they play two different styles, Gasol has a better midrange game, a better post-game, is more consistent than Howard, is a better passer, and he is averaging decent numbers playing next to a beast like Z-Bo, don't look at the stats in regards to him, watch the games, its very close.

RidonKs
05-01-2014, 05:08 PM
Gasol's passing just isn't enough to offset Dwight's scoring this season and especially this series. That's just a fact.
the rockets problem this series hasn't been scoring. it's been scoring late in games. dwight has been hitting his ft's at an impressive rate the past few games but he's still a liability in that department. gasol is the kind of cool head you can run an offense through and be confident in his decision making. he would have a steadying effect on an offense that gets erratic and resorts to isolation play when it really counts.

Jameerthefear
05-01-2014, 05:10 PM
Disagree, there are bigmen that are better on the offensive end, look at Blake Griffin, he isn't known to be an elite defender, but he is amazing on the offensive end, it is very close between Gasol and Howard, they play two different styles, Gasol has a better midrange game, a better post-game, is more consistent than Howard, is a better passer, and he is averaging decent numbers playing next to a beast like Z-Bo, don't look at the stats in regards to him, watch the games, its very close.
Griffin isn't really a bigman. At least not in this discussion. How is Gasol more consistent? He has a better post game, but finishes at a much lower % at the rim. It's not close. Not to mention Dwight has been the much better defender this playoffs so far. Dwight is the better rebounder, defender, scorer, and has been much much more successful than Gasol throughout his career. Gasol is the better passer. That's it.

Jameerthefear
05-01-2014, 05:11 PM
the rockets problem this series hasn't been scoring. it's been scoring late in games. dwight has been hitting his ft's at an impressive rate the past few games but he's still a liability in that department. gasol is the kind of cool head you can run an offense through and be confident in his decision making. he would have a steadying effect on an offense that gets erratic and resorts to isolation play when it really counts.
No he wouldn't. Because the Rockets are not a big assists team. They specialize in the PnR and 3-point shooting. Two things that Marc Gasol doesn't do that well on.

Rocketswin2013
05-01-2014, 05:15 PM
Post Season

38.3 MPG | 26.0 PPG | 14.2 RPG | 1.6 APG | 3.2 TOPG | 0.6 SPG | 3.0 BPG | 58.4 TS%

Defensive Impact: 40.5 Opponent FG% on 8.4 FGA per Game

Jameerthefear
05-01-2014, 05:16 PM
Post Season

38.3 MPG | 26.0 PPG | 14.2 RPG | 1.6 APG | 3.2 TOPG | 0.6 SPG | 3.0 BPG | 58.4 TS%

Defensive Impact: 40.5 Opponent FG% on 8.4 FGA per Game
Gasol is allowing defenders to shoot 53.5% at the rim too. But somehow Gasol is the better defender :lol

Black and White
05-01-2014, 05:17 PM
Griffin isn't really a bigman. At least not in this discussion. How is Gasol more consistent? He has a better post game, but finishes at a much lower % at the rim. It's not close. Not to mention Dwight has been the much better defender this playoffs so far. Dwight is the better rebounder, defender, scorer, and has been much much more successful than Gasol throughout his career. Gasol is the better passer. That's it.

Ignorance at its finest.

Midrange: Gasol > Dwight
Post Game: Gasol > Dwight
Passing: Gasol > Dwight
Rebounding: Dwight > Gasol
Defense: Gasol = Dwight (or Dwight slightly ahead)
Team ball: Gasol > Dwight

See what I mean?

Rocketswin2013
05-01-2014, 05:18 PM
Gasol is allowing defenders to shoot 53.5% at the rim too. But somehow Gasol is the better defender :lol
Jesus..........That's terrible....

Jameerthefear
05-01-2014, 05:20 PM
Ignorance at its finest.

Midrange: Gasol > Dwight
Post Game: Gasol > Dwight
Passing: Gasol > Dwight
Rebounding: Dwight > Gasol
Defense: Gasol = Dwight (or Dwight slightly ahead)
Team ball: Gasol > Dwight

See what I mean?
Cute how you tried to break down scoring to try to make your point. Dwight>Gasol scoring the ball. That's a fact.

ArbitraryWater
05-01-2014, 05:21 PM

elite defender and important cog on offense...

dude :facepalm You just described a great fkn player :hammerhead:

Nobody says hes spectacular, nobody says hes a top 5 guy, a superstar, etc.

the things you just said make him a damn good asset...

Black and White
05-01-2014, 05:23 PM
Cute how you tried to break down scoring to try to make your point. Dwight>Gasol scoring the ball. That's a fact.

I split scoring into two, mid-range and post-game, which is very important when comparing these two, imagine Dwight with a consistent jumper? Stats in regards to these two are misleading, as Gasol plays next to Z-Bo. Dwight plays next to Jones.

Jameerthefear
05-01-2014, 05:26 PM
TBH as far as scoring the ball Nikola Vucevic is better at Gasol at doing that. If Nikola Vucevic wasn't such an awful defender then he'd honestly be a better player than Gasol.

Black and White
05-01-2014, 05:32 PM
TBH as far as scoring the ball Nikola Vucevic is better at Gasol at doing that. If Nikola Vucevic wasn't such an awful defender then he'd honestly be a better player than Gasol.

Fact is, he isn't the better player, no hypotheticals, I dunno why you had to bring up a Magic player.

atljonesbro
05-01-2014, 05:38 PM
It's still pretty damn crazy people actually think Gasol is close to Howard. Black and White is even trying to say Gasol is a better scorer than Howard which is one of the funniest things I've heard in a while. Gasol is averaging 16 ppg on 41% RIGHT NOW. Dwight Howard is averaging 26 ppg on 55% RIGHT NOW. It's literally not even close. Howard is the clear cut better scorer by a wide margin. Howard out rebounds Gasol by a wide margin. Howard has been out defending Gasol by a wide margin.

It's literally not even close in the categories. Cry "off the stat sheet" impact all you want because you have nothing to back your claims.

Black and White
05-01-2014, 05:42 PM
It's still pretty damn crazy people actually think Gasol is close to Howard. Black and White is even trying to say Gasol is a better scorer than Howard which is one of the funniest things I've heard in a while. Gasol is averaging 16 ppg on 41% RIGHT NOW. Dwight Howard is averaging 26 ppg on 55% RIGHT NOW. It's literally not even close. Howard is the clear cut better scorer by a wide margin. Howard out rebounds Gasol by a wide margin. Howard has been out defending Gasol by a wide margin.

It's literally not even close in the categories. Cry "off the stat sheet" impact all you want because you have nothing to back your claims.

I never said he was the more effective scorer (Dwight has the higher percentage) I am saying he has a better mid-range game and a better post game,

as far as stats go, does Dwight play next to someone like Z-Bo???

kNIOKAS
05-01-2014, 06:27 PM

Tell me, who you want to touch a ball on a last possesion - Dwight Howard or Mark Gasol?
http://dailysnark.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/820340106.gif

Rocketswin2013
05-01-2014, 06:29 PM
Tell me, who you want to touch a ball on a last possesion - Dwight Howard or Mark Gasol?
Really like asking who would you want to shoot a shot at the end of the game...

Horry or LeBron?

So pointless.

But to answer your question: HOWARD.

Shootig 83% from the FT line in the last 5 minutes of the game in this playoff series.

TheReal Kendall
05-01-2014, 06:30 PM

:roll: Look like they're playing tag. Dwight goofy ass loving that shit

YouGotServed
05-01-2014, 08:29 PM
Dwight scores a lot more on greater efficiency. Are people really trying to argue Gasol is the better scorer?

Hoopz2332
05-02-2014, 06:15 AM
:roll: Look like they're playing tag. Dwight goofy ass loving that shit

:lol