PDA

View Full Version : Marc Gasol vs Pau

sd3035
04-30-2014, 11:56 PM
I think Marc is clearly better, thoughts?

DFish24
04-30-2014, 11:57 PM
Agreed. Marc is the better player.

Bodhi
04-30-2014, 11:58 PM
Agreed

One can only imagine how many championships the Gasol trade cost LA

Droid101
04-30-2014, 11:58 PM
I think Marc is clearly better, thoughts?
Love the "right now" fans.

Go watch Pau in the Olympics and his earlier years. He was better. I'm sorry.

Marc is great, but Pau was murdering folks in the Olympics and in 2008-2010.

sd3035
04-30-2014, 11:59 PM
Love the "right now" fans.

Go watch Pau in the Olympics and his earlier years. He was better. I'm sorry.

Marc is great, but Pau was murdering folks in the Olympics and in 2008-2010.

I'm a right now fan so I cant do that

Droid101
05-01-2014, 12:00 AM
I'm a right now fan so I cant do that
http://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/images/smilies/shakefist.gif

TaLvsCuaL
05-01-2014, 12:07 AM
Pau was much better player. In fact Pau is one of the best european players ever. Marc is not in that level.

I'm a Marc Gasol stan.

COnDEMnED
05-01-2014, 12:14 AM
Pau was a more technical offensive player, Marc is more of a defensive bruiser. Both are great, Pau was better in his prime, Marc is currently better.

Droid101
05-01-2014, 12:24 AM
Pau was a more technical offensive player, Marc is more of a defensive bruiser. Both are great, Pau was better in his prime, Marc is currently better.
:applause:

Milbuck
05-01-2014, 12:41 AM
Prime for prime, Pau was clearly the better player...but currently Marc is clearly the better player. That's about it.

inclinerator
05-01-2014, 12:47 AM
pau always shted on his brother head to head

Xiao Yao You
05-01-2014, 02:17 AM
better now for sure. apples and oranges really comparing them in their prime

oarabbus
05-01-2014, 03:54 AM
Pau's peak/prime was much better

Also why the **** is Pau such a softy on D when his bro is a great ****ing defender

Siin
05-01-2014, 04:26 AM

Couldn't agree more. Pau was absolutely better in his prime. Nice handles for a big man, pretty allround. But I don't think Marc already reached his prime yet...

Mr. Jabbar
05-01-2014, 04:28 AM
marc did not have the luxury of playing alongside bryant. Kobe is the most underrated bballl player on this board bar none

Xiao Yao You
05-01-2014, 05:25 AM
marc did not have the luxury of playing alongside bryant. Kobe is the most underrated bballl player on this board bar none

Or most overrated depending on which threads you read.

GimmeThat
05-01-2014, 05:39 AM
During the 2 rings run the Kobe/Pau pick and roll really caused the opposing teams trouble. Which I don't think Marc could play that role as well as Pau.

I thought about giving Marc the edge on the rebounding category, but then I realized that Pau was a rebounding machine himself during his prime.

Overall, Pau IS the better player of the two.

I will say that because Marc has the size advantage down low, if he hasn't reached his prime, his prime would most likely be his consistency down low. Where Pau would utilize his different skills to counter different bigs, Marc could simply outbruise them, ala mini Shaq style.

MJ(Mean John)
05-01-2014, 05:44 AM
I would say Marc is definelty more consistent in a sense that his play doesn't deviate too much from his Avg's BUT, ppl seem to forget Pau's been banged up + playing PF alongside Drew+Dwight and hasn't been in his comfort spot for last 5 years or so PLUS playing for shit coaches who didn't use him properly.

I fully expect Pau next year to resume to his 18-20/9-11/3 Form with KB back.

AussieG
05-01-2014, 09:20 AM

Pau was good with the Lakers beside Kobe.. otherwise he sucked. I don't mean stats wise, because he was always good stats wise.

Pau had some strengths like finesse off the dribble.. shooting, post game etc.

But he has always had MASSIVE weaknesses.

Marc has very little weaknesses. Marc isn't as good as Pau was in terms of scoring, but is better in pretty much every other way.

Pau wilted in the playoffs with the Grizz. Never won a game. 0-12. And that's not even the thing.. the thing is that he didn't even PLAY WELL during those games. Maybe one or two of the games at home but 10 of those games he was hopeless.

Where as Marc hasn't ever had that problem. Marc has always been PHYSICAL and HARD.. and a good defender. Marc has always handled pressure well. Marc wasn't as good of a scoring option.. but he is ALMOST as good..

But has always had a very well rounded game. He isn't a number 1 or even number 2 option.. but still overall a much better player IMO. Especially when it comes to defense.. physical player and attitude.

It's not a fair comparison in some ways because Pau had J Will and the pressure of a franchise that had never had success. Marc has had Conley and a team that won their first playoff game. They got rid of that pressure VERY quickly. They won the first playoff game in SA and then went on to win the series.. and the pressure was gone. Then they almost beat OKC. Pau couldn't even win one single game.

What's Conley got to do it with? It's huge.. and I bet I'm the first one to mention it in this topic. Conley has been able to hang with and stay level with guards like Parker, Chris Paul and Westbrook and win games or series matched up against these guys. J Will would get murdered and destroyed by guards like this, and that'd make it harder for Pau.

They have played on different teams.. but I've never complained about Marc as a Grizzlies fan.. and Pau has always drawn criticism.. because he has always had massive weaknesses in his game. To simplify it.. Pau = girly and Marc = a man.

Would never have imagined that it could be like that back in 2004 or 2005.. but it happened all the same. Pau had a few good years with Kobe in LA.. where he patched up a lot of weakness but Marc has been consistently good with very little weaknesses the whole time.

And I should also mention.. that I already thought Marc was better than Pau.. before the Grizz had ever won a playoff game, just based off of how he would play. Once they started winning playoff games.. it sealed it. And now after the last season or two..

There is very little doubt. But we all have our opinions.

AussieG
05-01-2014, 09:35 AM
Both Marc Gasol and Conley are the sort of players that you look at them on paper and think they are average but then they get into the playoffs.. and not only win games but series. They win series even when they don't have homecourt advantage and even when they lose they put up a fight. The Spurs sweep last season was the only exception but the last 3 years or so has been a good run.

They are fundamental in the same way that Tim Duncan is fundamental.

To4
05-01-2014, 09:54 AM
Marc for Defense
Pau for Offense

clutchinho
05-01-2014, 10:04 AM
Marc is tougher but Pau at his peak is still the better player, you can't argue with 2 rings