PDA

View Full Version : Byron Scott, Lionel Hollins and Steve Kerr express interest in Lakers HC vacancy

KobesFinger
05-01-2014, 06:33 AM
Sorcery (http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-rumors-byron-scott-steve-kerr-interested-in-lakers-coaching-job/2014/04/30/comment-page-1/)

All 3 are currently without a team (Kerr has been linked with the Knicks) and have expressed interest in becoming the new Lakers head coach following the resignation of Mike D'Antoni. Scott reached the Finals twice with the Nets and won COTY in 2008. Hollins reached the WCF last year. His Grizzlies also allowed the fewest PPG last year. Kerr is a former GM of the Suns. He traded Shawn Marion for Shaq and made many other trades that helped them reached the 2010 WCF.

What do you guys make of this? Fellow Laker fans, who is your preference?

I like Hollins for what he did with the Grizzlies last year (despite getting swept) but I also like Scott for his experience as a coach and being a Laker. I'd rather not have Kerr due to his lack of experience as a head coach, though I would like the idea of him joining the FO

MJ(Mean John)
05-01-2014, 06:38 AM
I like Hollins Thibs, Sloan and JVG

KobesFinger
05-01-2014, 06:42 AM
I like Hollins Thibs, Sloan and JVG

I forgot about the VG brothers, I'd like either of them too

MJ(Mean John)
05-01-2014, 06:53 AM
I forgot about the VG brothers, I'd like either of them too

The master of Panic ?

Cocaine80s
05-01-2014, 06:54 AM
crazy how we could possibly see okc, la, golden state, and houston all getting new head coaches next season

roffie
05-01-2014, 06:54 AM
VG would be my choice imo then hollins

KobesFinger
05-01-2014, 07:25 AM
VG would be my choice imo then hollins

Jeff or Stan?

roffie
05-01-2014, 07:26 AM
stan

The Iron Sheik
05-01-2014, 07:49 AM
i love him on commentary, but as a HC, jvg is like a white mike brown

NumberSix
05-01-2014, 08:50 AM
What if Pau demands a white coach?

MostHated305
05-01-2014, 09:05 AM
The master of Panic ?

LOL That's Stan Van Gundy in a nutshell

KDthunderup
05-01-2014, 09:06 AM
Bring in Scott, will help attract Irving in the FA.

Verticality
05-01-2014, 09:15 AM
Whatever happened to Kerr taking over for the Knicks?

3peated
05-01-2014, 09:20 AM
hollins to houston
kerr to nyk
scott to lal

book it

Mr Exlax
05-01-2014, 10:11 AM
Hollins has to come to Houston. I've been banking on it all season.

DukeDelonte13
05-01-2014, 10:14 AM
i've been saying Byron Scott will be coach of the lakers for a while now. It's gonna happen. Former showtime laker returning home.

One of the bigger knocks on Byron Scott is his laziness, but i think he'll be extra motivated to work for his team.

KobesFinger
05-01-2014, 12:34 PM
Apparently the Lakers FO is interested in John Calipari (Kentucky) and Kevin Ollie (UConn) (http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10867253/los-angeles-lakers-plan-court-kevin-ollie-uconn-huskies-john-calipari-kentucky-wildcats)

To that end, sources say, Lakers officials intend to reach out to two of the biggest names in the college game -- UConn's Kevin Ollie and Kentucky's John Calipari -- to at least gauge their interest in the job.

Please no.

Cold soul
05-01-2014, 12:41 PM
Apparently the Lakers FO is interested in John Calipari (Kentucky) and Kevin Ollie (UConn) (http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10867253/los-angeles-lakers-plan-court-kevin-ollie-uconn-huskies-john-calipari-kentucky-wildcats)

Please no.

What's wrong with Kevin Ollie? I think it would be great roll of the dice, but I think Lakers will go with NBA coach with experience.

KobesFinger
05-01-2014, 12:45 PM
What's wrong with Kevin Ollie? I think it would be great roll of the dice, but I think Lakers will go with NBA coach with experience.

Proven NBA coaches are available

lakerspng
05-01-2014, 12:45 PM
I'd take Ollie or Calipari.

want some fresh blood.

but would love to get Thibs if chicago lets him go.. wonder if they could throw in Noah with him....

lakerspng
05-01-2014, 12:46 PM
Proven NBA coaches are available

proven NBA non winners.... how many of them have a ring to show for their years in the league? some of them are good coaches, and there are a lot of things that need to come together for a team to contend and then win a championship but... there's no one waiting for a job who's ever won a ring.

gts
05-01-2014, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't mind a fresh approach to filling the coaching ranks...

Who's out there with NBA experience that has ever got a team over the hump?

It's easy to make the playoffs with a solid roster but I don't see any game changers from the NBA ranks. We've just gone through two coaches with basically the same credentials as some of those mentioned already... time to do something different...

selrahc
05-01-2014, 12:55 PM
of those three you listed, i'd like hollins. jerry sloan would be great if he were available. steve kerr doesn't seem like he'd be the type to get respect from his players.

gts
05-01-2014, 12:59 PM
I don't get the Lionel Hollins thing? He's a .500 coach regular season and playoffs.. he's coached for 7 years and missed the playoffs for 4 of them and those were'nt horrid rosters even when he was missing the playoffs

DukeDelonte13
05-01-2014, 01:49 PM
I don't get the Lionel Hollins thing? He's a .500 coach regular season and playoffs.. he's coached for 7 years and missed the playoffs for 4 of them and those were'nt horrid rosters even when he was missing the playoffs

He allegedly doesn't play nice with ownership/FO too.

ImKobe
05-01-2014, 01:51 PM
i've been saying Byron Scott will be coach of the lakers for a while now. It's gonna happen. Former showtime laker returning home.

One of the bigger knocks on Byron Scott is his laziness, but i think he'll be extra motivated to work for his team.

Please no, I feel like it would be a huge mistake, though Byron is a good guy.

fpliii
05-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Please don't pick a coach until the draft...

Genaro
05-01-2014, 02:01 PM
I'm not excited with any of those names.
I would like Vogel if the Pacers dismiss him. The other guys I would like all have jobs currently: Pop, Thibs and Carslile.

ImKobe
05-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Please don't pick a coach until the draft...

I think we won't sign a new HC before the FA period, because if we want a bigger FA, they might want to play under a certain coach, so Lakers should keep their options open.

AnaheimLakers24
05-01-2014, 02:07 PM
doubt kobe wants to be coached by another whitey he played against
no racist

hawksdogsbraves
05-01-2014, 02:07 PM
I think Hollins is tremendously overrated.

I also think Scott is average. Kerr could be good, I don't see him ending up anywhere but NYC though.

If I'm a Lakers fan I'd rather bring in Olllie or Cal than settle for one of these NBA retreads.

AnaheimLakers24
05-01-2014, 02:08 PM
bring in larry brown

DukeDelonte13
05-01-2014, 02:28 PM
Please no, I feel like it would be a huge mistake, though Byron is a good guy.

i think it would only be a mistake in the sense that the LA media is going to rip him a new a**hole if he or any other coach doesn't start immediately producing wins. But w/ Byron he has such a nice history with the lakers he could really f*ck it up.

I think Scott will do a much better job in LA then any of his other jobs. At the end of the day no coach is perfect, not even Pop or Phil. There is no coach that's gonna come in and magically erase a past team's problems. You just need a guy that the players are gonna respect and relate to, especially on a team w/ as big of a personality as Kobe. I think Kobe would respect Byron Scott a lot, and i think that underlying respect from him would go a long way.

DukeDelonte13
05-01-2014, 02:29 PM
I think Hollins is tremendously overrated.

I also think Scott is average. Kerr could be good, I don't see him ending up anywhere but NYC though.

If I'm a Lakers fan I'd rather bring in Olllie or Cal than settle for one of these NBA retreads.

i agree w/ hollins, i don't know what to think about Kerr. Nobody should have any idea on whether or not Kerr is going to work out as a HC.

gts
05-01-2014, 02:41 PM
i think it would only be a mistake in the sense that the LA media is going to rip him a new a**hole if he or any other coach doesn't start immediately producing wins. But w/ Byron he has such a nice history with the lakers he could really f*ck it up.

I think Scott will do a much better job in LA then any of his other jobs. At the end of the day no coach is perfect, not even Pop or Phil. There is no coach that's gonna come in and magically erase a past team's problems. You just need a guy that the players are gonna respect and relate to, especially on a team w/ as big of a personality as Kobe. I think Kobe would respect Byron Scott a lot, and i think that underlying respect from him would go a long way.

That wouldn't be Scott, he's lost every team he's coached... I'm not against Byron but don't expect it to be all roses and wine.. he's had plenty of beefs with plenty of players in his short coaching career

hawksdogsbraves
05-01-2014, 02:42 PM
i agree w/ hollins, i don't know what to think about Kerr. Nobody should have any idea on whether or not Kerr is going to work out as a HC.

Yeah it's hard to say. He seems to be very bright though, that's more than you can say for some coaches we've seen in the league *cough Mike Woodson cough*

gts
05-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Derek Fisher is another name that's being bounced around... not sure what i think about that

GimmeThat
05-01-2014, 02:45 PM
I'm waiting for Kobe Bryant to call me so we could coach the Lakers together.

I'll take the assistant head coach title instead just because I am a humble man.

KobesFinger
05-01-2014, 05:24 PM
As gts said, Fisher has been linked. Another poster made a thread about Tom Thibodeau being linked.

Mike Bresnahan has tweeted several names including George Karl, JVG and Kurt Rambis (https://twitter.com/Mike_Bresnahan/status/461928163707084800). He also says its unlikely the Lakers will have someone before the lottery as they are looking for either a high salary big-name NBA guy or NBA assistant with upside (https://twitter.com/Mike_Bresnahan/status/461690093632118784)

A lot of big names there, hopefully its sorted before free agency begins so we know who to target

Levity
05-01-2014, 05:30 PM
im probably in the minority, but im a kerr supporter. ive always like his philosophies when it comes to basketball, and his track record as the GM for the suns has more positives than it does negatives

kerr is a believer in utilizing a line up of 2 bigs. hes been quoted as saying that he doesnt believe in a 4 guard line up. and i wholeheartedly agree with that, despite what the rest of the nba is seemingly doing.

heres a little article about steve kerr and his potential as a coach
http://knickerblogger.net/steve-kerr-would-be-a-smart-hire/

Babalu
05-01-2014, 08:22 PM
derek fisher for coach. watch out.

KobesFinger
05-01-2014, 08:32 PM
im probably in the minority, but im a kerr supporter. ive always like his philosophies when it comes to basketball, and his track record as the GM for the suns has more positives than it does negatives

kerr is a believer in utilizing a line up of 2 bigs. hes been quoted as saying that he doesnt believe in a 4 guard line up. and i wholeheartedly agree with that, despite what the rest of the nba is seemingly doing.

heres a little article about steve kerr and his potential as a coach
http://knickerblogger.net/steve-kerr-would-be-a-smart-hire/

Thats a good read

The-Legend-24
05-01-2014, 08:38 PM
Knowing Jim Buss, he's probably talking to Mike Woodson. :oldlol:

KobesFinger
05-01-2014, 08:44 PM
Knowing Jim Buss, he's probably talking to Mike Woodson. :oldlol:

He's probably thinking of applying himself.

Seriously though, Mike Dunleavy Sr. has apparently said he'd be interested given the opportunity (http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-mike-dunleavy-sr-interested-lakers-20140501,0,5576095.story#axzz30VwZZXKk). He coached the Lakers to the Finals in 91. The article says he was interviewed before D'Antoni was hired and Buss went with MDA :facepalm :facepalm