PDA

View Full Version : Prime John Starks in today's NBA

Lebron23
05-02-2014, 01:52 AM
Where would you rank him? Dude won the NBA 6th man of the year award back in 1998.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1202/nba-best-undrafted-players/images/john-starks-006274065.jpg

http://salvatorepane.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/tumblr_lkhwl6s3ad1qax0spo1_400.jpg

http://knicks.lohudblogs.com/files/2011/12/john_starks_the_dunk.jpg

AboutBuckets
05-02-2014, 03:01 AM
Somewhere in between Greivis Vasquez and prime Johnny Flynn

TheMagicMan
05-02-2014, 03:06 AM
Top 20 SG in the league.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-02-2014, 03:08 AM
Hed be bagging groceries full time in todays NBA

LosBulls
05-02-2014, 03:11 AM
Come on people let's be real...

John Starks right now at this very moment would be at LEAST on par with James Harden.

AboutBuckets
05-02-2014, 03:16 AM
Come on people let's be real...

John Starks right now at this very moment would be at LEAST on par with James Harden.

So.. just as I initially proposed :cheers:

Dragonyeuw
05-02-2014, 05:54 AM
Probably 18,5,5 type player depending on the makeup of the team around him. Like any older player, you cant just 'pick' him out of his time and drop him into today, without considering how the influences of other players would have on his game. If he was playing today, he'd have grown up watching Jordan, Drexler, Sprewell, Penny, right through to early Kobe,Vince, A.I etc, instead of being in the league WITH those guys. On that basis alone, he wouldn't be the exact same player you remember, his skillset and style would have a more modern touch.

HomieWeMajor
05-02-2014, 05:57 AM
Light Skin Mike Conley who can get both white and black bishes

SamuraiSWISH
05-02-2014, 05:58 AM
Tony Allen

Legends66NBA7
05-02-2014, 06:02 AM
Tony Allen

Ha, was about to say the same. Starks would have more range over Allen, but other than that good example.

Harison
05-02-2014, 06:34 AM
Probably 18,5,5 type player depending on the makeup of the team around him. Like any older player, you cant just 'pick' him out of his time and drop him into today, without considering how the influences of other players would have on his game. If he was playing today, he'd have grown up watching Jordan, Drexler, Sprewell, Penny, right through to early Kobe,Vince, A.I etc, instead of being in the league WITH those guys. On that basis alone, he wouldn't be the exact same player you remember, his skillset and style would have a more modern touch.

Agreed, and not just playstyle - he would get modern training and treatment too, plus very beneficial to guards current rules.

A more defensive minded Westbrook? A bit better than Harden IMO, or more scoring oriented T. Allen.

The Iron Sheik
05-02-2014, 07:11 AM
rich man's jodie meeks

westsideozzie
05-02-2014, 07:14 AM
Prime John Starks! Whats next Prime Cliff Clivingston? FOH!

Nikola_
05-02-2014, 07:19 AM
poor mans tony allen so basically somwhere in jordan range

-Lebron23-
05-02-2014, 08:28 AM
More level headed JR Smith

Real Men Wear Green
05-02-2014, 08:32 AM
He'd be about the same guy. The level of sgs isn't much different today than it was back then. The increase in smallball line-ups might make him a little more effective as a slasher but his game was being an extremely streaky shooter and that wouldn't change. He was a lot like JR Smith without the off-court issues and general non-basketball stupidity.

f0und
05-02-2014, 10:49 AM
rich man's aaron mckie

imdaman99
05-02-2014, 10:55 AM
He'd be about the same guy. The level of sgs isn't much different today than it was back then. The increase in smallball line-ups might make him a little more effective as a slasher but his game was being an extremely streaky shooter and that wouldn't change. He was a lot like JR Smith without the off-court issues and general non-basketball stupidity.
Starks being my favorite player of all time, I find your comparison to JR downright insulting. Here's the thing with him, he was never highly touted like this btchmade entitled JR Smith. No hype, he appreciated every second he was out there and made the most of it. THAT IS THE ENTIRE OPPOSITE OF JR PIECEOFSHIT SMITH!

Talentwise ok, similar. He had infinite amount of heart, he would take a bullet to win the game. I don't see anything like that from JR Smith. Starks was a fan favorite for good reason. He came from the bottom and he made it as an all star. Even his shooting would sometimes drive you crazy, and he was at his lowest in game 7 of the finals against the Rockets. But if he had that clean look in game 6, he was going to help win them the Finals.

He played defense like this fgt beta JR Smith won't. FCK JR, John Starks is untouchable for that shitbrain JR.

:cheers:

SilkkTheShocker
05-02-2014, 11:04 AM
He would be coming off the bench for the Bakersfield Jam

Trentknicks
05-02-2014, 11:21 AM
So pretty much Tony Allen with a really good 3Pt shot?

moe94
05-02-2014, 11:26 AM
Who's banging his wife in this era? Rick Ross?

Trollsmasher
05-02-2014, 11:28 AM
9/3/3 guy of the bench

houston
05-02-2014, 11:41 AM

:roll: true

Real Men Wear Green
05-02-2014, 11:46 AM
So pretty much Tony Allen with a really good 3Pt shot?
He was a good defender but I don't think he defends as well as Allen. When I find myself saying "Not as good defensively but a much better shooter and scorer" I don't think it's a good comparison.

Real Men Wear Green
05-02-2014, 11:48 AM
Starks being my favorite player of all time, I find your comparison to JR downright insulting. Here's the thing with him, he was never highly touted like this btchmade entitled JR Smith. No hype, he appreciated every second he was out there and made the most of it. THAT IS THE ENTIRE OPPOSITE OF JR PIECEOFSHIT SMITH!

Talentwise ok, similar. He had infinite amount of heart, he would take a bullet to win the game. I don't see anything like that from JR Smith. Starks was a fan favorite for good reason. He came from the bottom and he made it as an all star. Even his shooting would sometimes drive you crazy, and he was at his lowest in game 7 of the finals against the Rockets. But if he had that clean look in game 6, he was going to help win them the Finals.

He played defense like this fgt beta JR Smith won't. FCK JR, John Starks is untouchable for that shitbrain JR.

:cheers:
Please don't reply to me using language that I'm supposed to be removing from the board.

tontoz
05-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Starks wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed but he was a tough defender and a much better scorer than Tony Allen. And today's shooting guards are weak. After you get past Wade/Kobe-------Harden there isn't a lot of quality there.

Average to better than average starter probably.

D-FENS
05-02-2014, 12:20 PM
Probably a 2-3 time all-star in this era

Aaron Afflalo with better D, and able to play a (very) little point guard if needed.

jzek
05-02-2014, 12:24 PM
James Harden with better defense.

riseagainst
05-02-2014, 12:25 PM
2nd best player in the league after Durant.

imdaman99
05-02-2014, 12:32 PM
Please don't reply to me using language that I'm supposed to be removing from the board.
Why post in this thread if you've clearly never watched Jonn Starks play?
Thanks for posting useless shit, have a nice day :cheers:

imdaman99
05-02-2014, 12:35 PM
Tell him yo , tell him. Im da best 6th man eva
:coleman: Starks is my most favorite player ever. If you're going to troll with his name, please do a good job of it :rant

Hoopz2332
05-02-2014, 12:43 PM
James Poseyish

Real Men Wear Green
05-02-2014, 12:48 PM
Why post in this thread if you've clearly never watched Jonn Starks play?
Thanks for posting useless shit, have a nice day :cheers:
And here I was trying to be civil about it. Nothing I wrote about Starks was inaccurate, you're just talking out of your ass, as usual.

TheMan
05-02-2014, 01:00 PM
LMAO...he's not as good as Tony Allen defensively but Starks could actually shoot. Overall Starks > Allen

Dro
05-02-2014, 01:43 PM
Somebody said Tony Allen? WTF? John Starks can shoot and handle the ball relatively well...He and Tony Allen aren't similar at all....One is a GREAT defender first without much offensive skill other than being a good finisher and smart player in general..Can't shoot a lick...

The other can shoot and is a pretty good defender...And he can score in general...

Also Starks would at least be a top 10 SG in the league easily. Top 5 possibly...If Derozan is basically a top 3 SG in a league with no handchecking, and Derozan is not the most efficient player, then I'm sure Starks can be top 10 and possibly top 5.

Don't forget Starks played on a Knicks team that played a slow pace and was a defensive oriented team with Ewing as the 1st option.

Put him on the Warriors with say Chris Mullin and Tim Hardaway and he puts up even more points...

The main knock against him is that he was a streaky shooter and he was a hothead...Not the most mentally strong player..

SilkkTheShocker
05-02-2014, 01:48 PM
James Harden with better defense.

This how you spot a Jordan stan :oldlol:

HiphopRelated
05-02-2014, 01:50 PM
Wesley Matthews

D-FENS
05-02-2014, 01:57 PM

Terrible analysis. Starks was a good teammate and was always focused.

The only thing he has in common with Smith is the streakyness.

You obviously didn't watch the 90's Knicks

StephHamann
05-02-2014, 02:22 PM
he is 43 years old

so

kobe bean bryant

2LeTTeRS
05-02-2014, 02:59 PM
I thought I was a Starks fan, but you guys must have loved him. I would say that with the league being faster and embracing 3s more he would be a much better player than in the 90s; but not sure how much better.

RoundMoundOfReb
05-02-2014, 03:00 PM
lmao at the 90s nostalgia

Tarik One
05-02-2014, 03:06 PM
I remember when the Bulls acquired Starks. That was the most awkward shat ever.:biggums:

Real Men Wear Green
05-02-2014, 03:40 PM
Terrible analysis. Starks was a good teammate and was always focused.

The only thing he has in common with Smith is the streakyness.

You obviously didn't watch the 90's Knicks
Starks was "always focused?" (http://nypost.com/2013/04/29/celtics-rivers-recalls-starks-head-butt-in-93-playoffs/) But of course, since you watched him and I didn't you recall that he had emotional issues that in fact detracted from his focus and so wouldn't write something as completely off as that.

Dro
05-02-2014, 03:45 PM
I thought I was a Starks fan, but you guys must have loved him. I would say that with the league being faster and embracing 3s more he would be a much better player than in the 90s; but not sure how much better.
Pretty sure back then that most people who were not Knicks fans hated Starks but respected his game...I'm a Pacer fan so you know how I felt about Starks back then...:pimp:

imdaman99
05-02-2014, 04:42 PM
Pretty sure back then that most people who were not Knicks fans hated Starks but respected his game...I'm a Pacer fan so you know how I felt about Starks back then...:pimp:
:cheers: Heard Reggie had a whole chapter in his book named after him :bowdown:

Real rivalries... where have they gone :cry: Colluding ruining everything :rant

TheMan
05-02-2014, 05:50 PM
Tony Allen's defense >>>>>>> John Starks

LMAO at these 90s nostalgia clowns.
John Starks could actually shoot a ball through the hoop doe

Straight_Ballin
05-03-2014, 12:13 AM
poor mans tony allen so basically somwhere in jordan range

No player in your lifetime will ever be as dominant as Jordan I'm afraid. Maybe if you're a good boy, dad will share with you what it was like watching prime Jordan.

atljonesbro
05-03-2014, 12:19 AM
Jordan mythologists don't only spread propaganda about Jordan, but players in his era as well to prop up Jordan making it look like he faced tougher competition.