PDA

View Full Version : Does Dwight regret not signing with the Mavs?

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-03-2014, 06:29 AM
Dirk at 35 is better than Harden will ever be. Carlisle is a top 3 coach. Cuban>>>>>>>>Morey
Mavs have heart and experience and are taking the Spurs to 7

The Mavs still finished w/ a better offense rating than the Rockets and he would have helped them on defense

andremiller07
05-03-2014, 06:31 AM
It would be interesting to see who the SG would be I'm guessing Harris would be the starting PG (I assume they can't sign Monta/Jose if they got Dwight) and imo he still capable of doing that.

But yeah Dallas would have been a crazy fit for Dwight but he was probably worried how long Dirk could last which is fair enough. I'm glad it worked out the way it did the Mavs got a bunch of humble good guys like Jose/Dirk/Blair/Wright/Marion really likeable team and they play excellent basketball.

buddha
05-03-2014, 06:39 AM
Nope, Houston has better strip clubs. Harden and Howard are happy the season is over, more time to party.

StephHamann
05-03-2014, 06:45 AM
ill take ellis and blair/dalembert over this mental midget

no pun intended
05-03-2014, 07:08 AM
Dwight should've just stayed in the East.

-Lebron23-
05-03-2014, 07:27 AM
So do people still believe that Howard's decision was based solely on his chances of winning a ring?? :roll:

Insidehoops, you can't be that delusional.

R.I.P.
05-03-2014, 07:35 AM
Donald Sterling always said Nazis are better than Muslims, but Dwight wouldn

UK2K
05-03-2014, 10:10 AM
So do people still believe that Howard's decision was based solely on his chances of winning a ring?? :roll:

Insidehoops, you can't be that delusional.
When he signed, did anyone pen Houston into the finals? No? Yeah I didnt think so but couldn't remember...

Dumb thread. Hes 28. Harden is 24. Parsons is 25. Beverly is 24. Jones is 23.

I think they'll get better. Im not sure. I just think.

As far as this year, yeah they could have made some noise but preseason and even the week before the playoffs nobody had them making the finals but me. So i doubt even Dwight thought they'd compete year 1.

DMAVS41
05-03-2014, 10:12 AM
He should.

It would have been his team and Rick/Dirk trumps anything Houston could give him...

-Lebron23-
05-03-2014, 10:15 AM
When he signed, did anyone pen Houston into the finals? No? Yeah I didnt think so but couldn't remember...

As far as this year, yeah they could have made some noise but preseason and even the week before the playoffs nobody had them making the finals but me. So i doubt even Dwight thought they'd compete year 1.
You are agreeing with me for the most part.

Houston was never a title contender this year, not unless you listened to some crazed fans. It remains to be seen whether they will be in the coming years, many things need to change, that's for sure.

The fact remains that Howard factored in other reasons than chances of winning a championship.

EDIT: see poster above me. Dude said no to Dirk and Carlisle to go play with Harden and McHale, I mean, that's that.

Bigsmoke
05-03-2014, 11:20 AM
the warriors is a better fit.

WallIn
05-03-2014, 11:23 AM
Dwight should've just stayed in the East.

True. Magic would have been in the ECF easily this season if Dwight did not blow up a team

Cone
05-03-2014, 11:23 AM
him playing with dirk would have given him a better chance to win 'now'. especially since they have cap space next year to get a star

ellis/dirk/dwight would've been amazing

but i see why he signed with houston. better future i guess

Pointguard
05-03-2014, 11:24 AM
This is one year which isn't equivalent to four or five. Houston is a young team. He definitely picked the right team to grow with. They have youth issues and all teams in recent years had trouble merging great talent. But some things seem certain for the Rockets for at least a couple of years in comparison to the rest of the league:

Best post player.
Best defender.
Best inside out game.
Best pg defender.
Best player at drawing fouls.
Most prolific player on the fast break.
Most prolific team at getting easy baskets.
Two top ten players.

The only drawbacks are Lin and Asik's contract, along with Harden's attitude. They could have used a little more experience this year but don't cry for them.

JohnFreeman
05-03-2014, 11:24 AM
Should have stayed in Orlando

Marlo_Stanfield
05-03-2014, 11:25 AM
Houston is screwed as long as Harden,McFail and the WORST GM of ALL TIME ,daryl Morey are in this organisation.
Darly Morey is a fat fuq who doesnt have a clue about basketball, is an advanced stats nerd and thinks you can win in the playoffs with flopping, layups and threes only:lol :lol

longtime lurker
05-03-2014, 11:29 AM
More like the Mavs are thankful that Dwight didn't sign with them. His lack of mental toughness and chemistry killing attitude will ensure they never get out of the first round. Not even Dirk's godliness could overcome that.

UK2K
05-03-2014, 12:17 PM
More like the Mavs are thankful that Dwight didn't sign with them. His lack of mental toughness and chemistry killing attitude will ensure they never get out of the first round. Not even Dirk's godliness could overcome that.
Dwight single handedly carried this Houston team.

You are an idiot.

DMAVS41
05-03-2014, 12:51 PM

Dirk/Howard/Carlisle

Ugh...fill in around them decently at all and that is championship caliber.

Micku
05-03-2014, 12:55 PM
I felt that the Warriors was the best fit for him. Good spacing, great point guard, and better shooters.

Houston have young players, and they could be great. They have experience on how to operate in these tight games in the playoffs and they probably need a better coach to maximize their abilities.

SCdac
05-03-2014, 01:40 PM
I don't think Dwight wanted to be on a team full of vets anymore (and the Mavs have Dirk, Marion, Dalembert, etc), as he seemed to be getting tired of Kobe and Nash schooling him privately/publicly. Him and D-Will strung the Mavs along either way. In interviews over the summer Dwight said he took pride in now being the guy with the most experience on the Rockets, or something along those lines. Nothing wrong with that. But a team with Dwight as your most experienced player? lol good luck. But anything can happen as complexion of the league changes. Houston should add more tough defenders. Luol Deng of the last 4-5 years would be great on that team but don't know how he's looking nowadays.

Rocketswin2013
05-03-2014, 02:21 PM
The Mavs are old as hell, in a year or two, Houston will be scary. Dirk could easily be done on that span, and for all of Harden's playoff woes this season, Dirk hasn't had the greatest post season either.

I would say GSW might have been a better option but they would've had to gut their roster twice more than they did for Iggy, literally.

He definitely made the right choice.

ArbitraryWater
05-03-2014, 02:43 PM
Dirk/Howard/Carlisle

Ugh...fill in around them decently at all and that is championship caliber.

The stupid thing is if CP3/Dwight would have gone to Dallas, the other would followed right afterwards, 99% sure.... I doubt Miami would be beating that.

secund2nun
05-03-2014, 02:45 PM
Houston needs to trade overrated Harden while his value is still high.

kamil
05-03-2014, 02:46 PM
Dwight and Dirk would have a lot of potential, but I don't think the two would mesh well... very different personalities.

DwnShft2Xcelr8
05-03-2014, 02:48 PM
If Dwight had stayed in the East, he'd be competing for a title on almost any team there. His only real competition (assuming he wouldn't join them like the bitch he is) would be the Miami Heat. Just one tough team. That's all.
That's how garbage the East is.
Dwight isn't cut out for the Western Conference. Too many good teams exposing him for the mental midget he is.

DMAVS41
05-03-2014, 02:50 PM
The Mavs are old as hell, in a year or two, Houston will be scary. Dirk could easily be done on that span, and for all of Harden's playoff woes this season, Dirk hasn't had the greatest post season either.

I would say GSW might have been a better option but they would've had to gut their roster twice more than they did for Iggy, literally.

He definitely made the right choice.

Well, Harden was just awful for starters, but it isn't even about that...

It's about the fit of Dirk/Howard. Dirk is the perfect player to put next to Howard. He's a 10 times better version than Ryan Anderson.

And as far as the age of the Mavs. It would only have been this year. We would have a ton of cap room this summer to get basically any roster we would have wanted around Howard. He would have been the man and he would have been in the best position to win.

I like our team so much now and think we have a bright next 2 or 3 years depending on how long Dirk plays, but no doubt the Mavs would be better with Howard going forward.

He takes a lot of shit, but he's still a beast and he and Dirk are just the perfect fit.

DMAVS41
05-03-2014, 03:02 PM
I don't think Dwight wanted to be on a team full of vets anymore (and the Mavs have Dirk, Marion, Dalembert, etc), as he seemed to be getting tired of Kobe and Nash schooling him privately/publicly. Him and D-Will strung the Mavs along either way. In interviews over the summer Dwight said he took pride in now being the guy with the most experience on the Rockets, or something along those lines. Nothing wrong with that. But a team with Dwight as your most experienced player? lol good luck. But anything can happen as complexion of the league changes. Houston should add more tough defenders. Luol Deng of the last 4-5 years would be great on that team but don't know how he's looking nowadays.

Deng and Parsons together probably doesn't work...

They will get better when Lin and Asik come off the books after next year. I liked what Asik did out there next to Howard, but that still probably isn't the ideal way they need to play with Harden.

Knowing Morey they are probably going to make a big move.

Does anyone know if they can do a deal to get Melo on a sign and trade? Can you still do shit like that in the new CBA? Because Melo for Lin/Asik/1st rounder seems like a great deal for both teams...if Melo is leaving regardless.

UK2K
05-03-2014, 03:09 PM
Nah, knowing Morey, he will make a splash in the off-season to get better pieces (particularly a 4) around Dwight.

Like I said on page 1, the Rockets are (I believe) the youngest, or second youngest team in the league. You all act like they have to tear it all down and rebuild now.

SCdac
05-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Deng and Parsons together probably doesn't work...

They will get better when Lin and Asik come off the books after next year. I liked what Asik did out there next to Howard, but that still probably isn't the ideal way they need to play with Harden.

Parsons shouldn't be untouchable for Houston imo, he's looking a big pay day soon largely helped by the Rocket's uptempo style, but that's for another thread. The point is, the Rockets would be great (defensively) with somebody like 2009-2013 Deng, whom some considered the most underrated defender on the Bulls (on the ball defense and help D), but I don't even know how much Deng has left in the tank anymore. I didn't see him play much with Cleveland. Or a Sefolosha type, Tony Allen. Just examples. Their team needs gritty defenders and veterans if they want to go all the way, and that's not a knock on any particular Rockets player. It's just something champ teams tend to need. Beverly is the closest I see to that but who knows how he turns out.

Qwyjibo
05-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Stupid thread.

No. He shouldn't regret it.

1. He still got a shit load of money and Houston is reportedly a good place to be.

2. Houston is a good team. The West playoffs are so stacked that you have the clear two best teams going to a game 7 in the first round. Losing to Portland doesn't mean Houston sucks and that their "window" is closed or anything other over reaction crap that you'll so often read on this dump of a forum lately. They will be a good team next year and over the next few years and, IMO, a team that can make a deep run in the playoffs.

Marlo_Stanfield
05-03-2014, 03:15 PM
Houston needs to trade overrated Harden while his value is still high.
:banana: :banana: :banana:

DMAVS41
05-03-2014, 03:15 PM
Nah, knowing Morey, he will make a splash in the off-season to get better pieces (particularly a 4) around Dwight.

Like I said on page 1, the Rockets are (I believe) the youngest, or second youngest team in the league. You all act like they have to tear it all down and rebuild now.

I don't think anyone is saying "tear it down"...

I think people are curious because they same to be in a bit of a tough spot with the Lin/Asik contracts next year...and then having to pay Parsons soon.

I don't think this roster is currently good enough to win.

~primetime~
05-03-2014, 03:17 PM
I would say that it's possible he does regret it... But only he knows

DMAVS41
05-03-2014, 03:19 PM
Parsons shouldn't be untouchable for Houston imo, he's looking a big pay day soon largely helped by the Rocket's uptempo style, but that's for another thread. The point is, the Rockets would be great (defensively) with somebody like 2009-2013 Deng, whom some considered the most underrated defender on the Bulls (on the ball defense and help D), but I don't even know how much Deng has left in the tank anymore. I didn't see him play much with Cleveland. Or a Sefolosha type, Tony Allen. Just examples. Their team needs gritty defenders and veterans if they want to go all the way, and that's not a knock on any particular Rockets player. It's just something champ teams tend to need. Beverly is the closest I see to that but who knows how he turns out.

Oh yes...I agree.

I didn't know you were saying to move Parsons. I actually wouldn't be against that for them. I think he's slightly over-rated and is going to fetch a number when his contract is up that might actually make him a bad value.

But they might not have much wiggle room this year to improve with the 30 million combined owed to Lin/Asik (17 million cap hit)...

They should have enough to add a solid piece, and maybe that is enough, but then trying to bring back Parsons and Beverly might not be a great value.

It's why I thought it was imperative that they move Asik this year. Think it was a huge mistake for a ton of reasons...and looks especially bad now that they lost in round 1.

SCdac
05-03-2014, 03:26 PM
Biggest things I wonder about going forward for the Rockets are A) chemistry - will Dwight and Harden truly mesh and trust each other, B) style of play - with a coaching change or not, will they revamp their game, and C) experience - can a young team like theirs really go all the way against a KD or Lebron lead team, let alone others ... If they can manage to excel in these areas I think they'll fair well. I wonder if they'll have more success than T-Mac and Yao under Van Gundy (which was a top-5 defense in the league)

BlackVVaves
05-03-2014, 04:33 PM

When you have the best big man in the league, and the "best" SG in the league, you shouldn't be losing in the first round to an inferior team.

They didn't have to make the Finals. But, the first round? Down 3-1 at one point?

Embarrassing.

BlackVVaves
05-03-2014, 04:33 PM

This.

Mr Exlax
05-03-2014, 04:55 PM
When you have the best big man in the league, and the "best" SG in the league, you shouldn't be losing in the first round to an inferior team.

They didn't have to make the Finals. But, the first round? Down 3-1 at one point?

Embarrassing.

I agree. A better coach and this shit wouldn't have happened.

TheMagicMan
05-03-2014, 04:58 PM
Dafuq :biggums: Houston has a solid young core that will compete in the West for years to come. Harden is only 24 years old. He's still growing as a player. Meanwhile Mavs have 36 year old Dirk, stone age Vince Carter, and already extinct Shawn Marion:facepalm

BlackVVaves
05-03-2014, 05:06 PM
I agree. A better coach and this shit wouldn't have happened.

At least McHale will be shown the door after this. At least one would think.

dr.hee
05-03-2014, 05:07 PM
Dafuq :biggums: Houston has a solid young core that will compete in the West for years to come. Harden is only 24 years old people. He's still growing as a player. Meanwhile Mavs have 36 year old Dirk, stone age Vince Carter, and already extinct Shawn Marion:facepalm

The only thing Harden has growing is his stupid ass beard.

Dallas has a lof of cap space this summer. Dirk is taking a massive paycut anyway, Marion and Carter are expiring. So what is your point? What's the worst case for Dwight on this year's Mavs? Worse than a first round exit? With Dirk/Howard/Carlisle? Not going to happen. And next season, the team is going to be a lot younger anyway.

So I don't see where you're going :confusedshrug:

DMAVS41
05-03-2014, 05:11 PM
Dafuq :biggums: Houston has a solid young core that will compete in the West for years to come. Harden is only 24 years old people. He's still growing as a player. Meanwhile Mavs have 36 year old Dirk, stone age Vince Carter, and already extinct Shawn Marion:facepalm

The Mavs with Dirk/Howard this year and a filled out roster this year would have been better than the Rockets...

Then this summer, we'd have a ton of cap space.

I'm just not a big Harden guy, so I think 3 years with Dirk and then his own squad in Dallas with a better coach is just a better situation for Howard.

I don't blame him for going to the Rockets, but I just thought he'd realize how perfect him playing with Dirk would have been after his time with Ryan Anderson.

I love people knocking old ass carter, marion, dalembert...in this thread. yet those guys are all playing key roles against the Spurs right now and we are taking them to 7 without HCA...while the Rockets are at home in 6 against an inferior opponent.

LOL

TheMagicMan
05-03-2014, 05:17 PM

Dallas has a lof of cap space this summer. Dirk is taking a massive paycut anyway, Marion and Carter are expiring. So what is your point? What's the worst case for Dwight on this year's Mavs? Worse than a first round exit? With Dirk/Howard/Carlisle? Not going to happen. And next season, the team is going to be a lot younger anyway.

You're seriously going to talk cap space when the Lakers could've offered Dwight the same thing and he left it? :facepalm

Lol Deron Williams coming to the Mavs. Lol CP3 coming to the Mavs. Lol Dwight coming to the Mavs. Lol cap space.

YouGotServed
05-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Is this thread a joke? Why would Dwight sign with a group of washed up have been? I mean, Golden State I'd understand. Dallas doe? :oldlol: Please. Give me a break.

UK2K
05-03-2014, 05:22 PM

Embarrassing.
Thats why not one sports writer had them penned into the finals... yeah they should have wom their first round, but their matchup was against a 54 win team in the West who won like 8 of their last 9 (check me on that) before entering the playoffs.

Because despite the best 2 and a top 3 C (I still think Noah is better), there are still holes.

There were 5 teams in the West who set themselves apart, and this was the only series where two of those teams were playing each other. I dont even consider it an upset. So Houston was better at 2/5 starting positions, Portland was better at PG, SF, and PF.

Houston will reload, and be back next year. Depending on the moves they make, I fully expect them to break 58-60 wins. Asik and Lin won't be as hard to move because they will be expiring contracts, and even if they arent moved, this SAME team with another year (their avg age is like 23) will probably make noise next year without moves.

DMAVS41
05-03-2014, 05:27 PM
Is this thread a joke? Why would Dwight sign with a group of washed up have been? I mean, Golden State I'd understand. Dallas doe? :oldlol: Please. Give me a break.

Because you have a championship level coach and championship level guy in Dirk that happens to be the best fit in the league to play PF next to Dirk.

And you have a group ready to contend in year 1...and then in the summer like 50 million in cap space to build around Dirk/Howard.

LOL @ shrugging off the Mavs. Look what we build without him...with him it's even easier to fill in the pieces.

Not to mention we could have still gotten one of Monta or Calderon by moving Marion as well to clear cap space...also wouldn't have signed Wright to his 5million a year deal as well.

Would have been great in year 1 and then elite for at least the next 2 years.

R.I.P.
05-03-2014, 05:28 PM

Ellis, especially at the discount, would have fit under the cap with Dwight and Dirk. Wright had a minimum caphold, Harris and Blair signed minimum deals, so the only players the Mavs would have lost were Calderon, Dalembert and Marion. Basically Mavs team this year:

Harris
Ellis
Crowder
Dirk
Dwight

Bench: Carter, Blair, Wright.

And now they

DMAVS41
05-03-2014, 05:30 PM
[QUOTE=R.I.P.]Ellis, especially at the discount, would have fit under the cap with Dwight and Dirk. Wright had a minimum caphold, Harris and Blair signed minimum deals, so the only players the Mavs would have lost were Calderon, Dalembert and Marion. Basically Mavs team this year:

Harris
Ellis
Crowder
Dirk
Dwight

Bench: Carter, Blair, Wright.

And now they

oarabbus
05-03-2014, 05:31 PM
It ultimately comes down to Dwight choosing Harden over Dirk. The guy who shat his pants when facing LeBron, vs. the guy who made LeBron sh1t his pants

:roll: :roll: :roll:

R.I.P.
05-03-2014, 05:42 PM
I doubt we would have signed Wright if Howard had come. We would have used that 5 million to fill out the sf position and we would have probably gotten in another guard as well.

But yea, that roster is obviously better than our current roster.

I wouldn't like that team with Melo at all though...we would want a Deng/Ariza type sf and a better pg this summer...not Melo.

But the trick is Wright only counted 0.9 million against the cap. We couldn

DMAVS41
05-03-2014, 05:49 PM
[QUOTE=R.I.P.]But the trick is Wright only counted 0.9 million against the cap. We couldn

SilkkTheShocker
05-03-2014, 05:52 PM
I don't blame him for leaving the Lakers. But why sign with a 2nd rate franchise like the Rockets?

Fudge
05-03-2014, 05:56 PM
I don't blame him for leaving the Lakers. But why sign with a 2nd rate franchise like the Rockets?
No taxes, bruh.

SilkkTheShocker
05-03-2014, 06:03 PM
No taxes, bruh.

True. But I would have went to Dallas. Dirk is old, that is true. But they would had have cap for another big time player. Especially with Dirk willing to take a paycut in order to add more pieces. Those two would compliment each other very well. The Rockets roster doesn't really impress me. They are overpaying Asik and Lin for next season. Parson is probably going to get traded before his payday. And their GM gets a ton of love despite doing SO LITTLE.

MiseryCityTexas
05-03-2014, 06:14 PM
**** Dallas

MiseryCityTexas
05-03-2014, 06:15 PM
can't nobody on the Rockets guard Lamarcus Aldridge other than Asik, and Mchale dumbass kept starting T jones on him.

UK2K
05-03-2014, 06:50 PM
can't nobody on the Rockets guard Lamarcus Aldridge other than Asik, and Mchale dumbass kept starting T jones on him.
No he didnt. Jones barely played after game 2.

You clearly didnt watch the series. Asik and Howard started games 3-6

SexSymbol
05-03-2014, 07:28 PM
This is one year which isn't equivalent to four or five. Houston is a young team. He definitely picked the right team to grow with. They have youth issues and all teams in recent years had trouble merging great talent. But some things seem certain for the Rockets for at least a couple of years in comparison to the rest of the league:

Best post player. hell no, lol
Best defender. Who?
Best inside out game. a.k.a. McHale's offense, also known as nothing
Best pg defender. who? beverley? You're kidding right?
Best player at drawing fouls. tied with durant
Most prolific player on the fast break. no
Most prolific team at getting easy baskets. no
Two top ten players. none, actually

The only drawbacks are Lin and Asik's contract, along with Harden's attitude. They could have used a little more experience this year but don't cry for them.
Delusional

Real14
05-03-2014, 07:35 PM
He should regret of leaving tha magic, he actually had a good set of playerz on dat team.

Sarcastic
05-03-2014, 08:06 PM

They traded him.

SilkkTheShocker
05-03-2014, 08:08 PM
They traded him.

He forced his way out the same way Melo did.

Sarcastic
05-03-2014, 08:12 PM
He forced his way out the same way Melo did.

He wasn't willing to commit to a new contract, and wanted to be a free agent. I am sure LeBron would agree with that line of thinking.

Dwight didn't FORCE anything. Not his fault they wanted value for him.

Kobe_6/8
12-01-2015, 02:08 AM
Dirk at 35 is better than Harden will ever be. Carlisle is a top 3 coach. Cuban>>>>>>>>Morey
Mavs have heart and experience and are taking the Spurs to 7

The Mavs still finished w/ a better offense rating than the Rockets and he would have helped them on defense

Still true?

bobopenguin
12-01-2015, 02:25 AM
Still true?

dirk doesnt need 20FTs to get to 30 points.