View Full Version : Dwight Howard 2014 Playoffs - All Post-Ups

ArbitraryWater
05-03-2014, 03:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFvySAMN6Y0

Every single one :cheers:

Contrary to popular belief, Dwight has developed a great post-game :applause:

Inferno
05-03-2014, 03:07 PM
Dwight was great this series. Only knock on him I have is that he missed those 2 crucial FT's in the 4th yesterday. Other than that, it's all on Harden. Showed up way too late.

Marlo_Stanfield
05-03-2014, 03:09 PM
nikka just has to hit clutch ft but he was visibly exhausted.
if lin is still there run PnR with him next season more too:cheers: :cheers:

Le Shaqtus
05-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Lakers fans will avoid this thread like the plague.

WeGetRing2012
05-03-2014, 03:16 PM
Running your offense through Howard will get you what happened at the end of last nights game every time. He missed 4 crucial free throws and took the team completely out of their rhythm.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
05-03-2014, 03:17 PM
That fake left go right and half-spin is CLEAN. Dwight played VERY well this series. My only qualms are with Lin and Harden.. well them and Rockets fans. :oldlol:

Milbuck
05-03-2014, 03:19 PM
This is such bullshit, I feel so bad for the guy.

He had a legit chance to make a deep run in the playoffs with San Antonio playing less than their best, same for OKC.

Harden ruined it. That dirty piece of shit stole this from Dwight. Straight up snatched success from Dwight by pulling a scared turtle, like he always does.

Rocketswin2013
05-03-2014, 03:19 PM
4th DPOY, coming right up. :rockon:

Marlo_Stanfield
05-03-2014, 03:20 PM
This is such bullshit, I feel so bad for the guy.

He had a legit chance to make a deep run in the playoffs with San Antonio playing less than their best, same for OKC.

Harden ruined it. That dirty piece of shit stole this from Dwight. Straight up snatched success from Dwight by pulling a scared turtle, like he always does.
:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

ArbitraryWater
05-03-2014, 03:21 PM
I felt bad for the guy... desperately wanted him to advanced, AT LEAST make it a Game 7. His Effort last night was tremendous and he really would have deserved it.

The only thing I can knock him for are the 4 FT Misses, and, well, that he didn't join the Mavericks :mad: :(

CavaliersFTW
05-03-2014, 03:31 PM

That is a decent deep post game because he is strong, definitely not a great post game because he is not particularly skilled or secure with protecting the ball. If you note, his catches, and his finishes are sometimes shaky, and sometimes he takes a lot of dribbles to get where he needs to go - all of those things mean he's still a bit turnover prone when the ball is dumped to him. On top of it, he doesn't have a go to turnaround, stationary face-up or fade away shot from the post, so his only options are to try to run in the middle for a jump hook or battle to get deep for a layup. Not hating, I actually enjoyed watching him battle down low all series, just pointing out he's got a few things that need polished and developed before I'd consider him great in the post. Awesome to see a player that battles deep though.

konex
05-03-2014, 03:37 PM
Those moves are all power. Dwight couldn't do that against a guy like Perk and his face-up game is still embarrassing...

That said, his FTs really impressed me. Besides game 1, he wasn't really a liability

UK2K
05-03-2014, 03:39 PM
Dwight was great this series. Only knock on him I have is that he missed those 2 crucial FT's in the 4th yesterday. Other than that, it's all on Harden. Showed up way too late.
he shot like 65% for the series, I aint mad at him.

SCdac
05-03-2014, 03:45 PM
He is very strong and quick, he can back down a player like Robin Lopez one-on-one and get a shot off, but if you notice in this clip he almost never looks to pass the ball and get the Rockets a better look or other players involved (he does at times, but he's no quarterback in the post). If you're defending him, might as well single cover him (stay home on shooters) and send him to the line here and there. Him going roughly 1-2 at the FT is better than an And-1 and momentum builder from James Harden. It's kind of like making Amare Stoudemire go off for 30+ points but staying home on Joe Johnson, Raja Bell, Steve Nash, etc. back in the mid 2000's.

Mr Exlax
05-03-2014, 04:15 PM
Pretty good stuff D12. Still not back to the Orlando days but good to see some improvement.

bballnoob1192
05-03-2014, 04:15 PM
Running your offense through Howard will get you what happened at the end of last nights game every time. He missed 4 crucial free throws and took the team completely out of their rhythm.
nikka plez. the rest of the rocket players did nothing after they dump him the ball. those nikkas just stood there and watch dwight get double team they didn't slash or even get open for threes.

fpliii
05-03-2014, 04:19 PM
:applause:

Real talk, Dwight gets zero blame for this series. After LMA cooled down, he was the best player on the floor. After he did us dirty I won't be a fan of his again, but he was tremendous. Hit his FTs too for the most part.

Lillard had a good series too and hit that bomb to win the series, Dwight got no help from Harden + co.

TheMagicMan
05-03-2014, 04:20 PM
3rd option at best :applause:

played0ut
05-03-2014, 04:23 PM
good on him.

he has a heavy hand and obviously lacks the fluidness of the Dream, but it's great that he's improving.

he needs to act quick and stop letting the defense set.

macpierce
05-03-2014, 04:26 PM
Surprisingly he played very well.

Harden on the other hand is not a superstar.

dreamwarrior
05-03-2014, 04:26 PM
He played well. He didn't hit the FT's but Shaq never did back in the day either. It's just not part of their game. If you want to blame someone blame Beverely got getting the flu. No doubt that the rest of the team caught a little bit of that virus and so they ended up playing a bit worse than normal because of it.

BlackVVaves
05-03-2014, 05:00 PM
Real shame. They could and should have easily advanced to the WCF, at least the second round.

That's now two series Harden has explicitly costed his team in the post-season. 2012 Finals and here.

I know the All NBA Teams are regular season based, but seriously Dwight deserves 1st Team after seeing him carry his team in largely solo fashion, while Noah got clowned by Nene every night :oldlol:

konex
05-03-2014, 05:01 PM
but if you notice in this clip he almost never looks to pass the ball and get the Rockets a better look or other players involved (he does at times, but he's no quarterback in the post).

Actually he's always been a great passer out of the post (see the great find for a Lin 3 that got disqualified cos of a Jones charge late in the 4th). The reason he struggled with LA is because they had very weak 3pt shooters and teams were allowed to swarm him.

Portland was so afraid to leave the shooters, they rarely doubled Dwight. Also, Lopez and LMA are not strong enough to stop him from getting deep post position.

brantonli
05-03-2014, 05:29 PM
Those moves are all power. Dwight couldn't do that against a guy like Perk and his face-up game is still embarrassing...

That said, his FTs really impressed me. Besides game 1, he wasn't really a liability

It was still embarrassing in game 1 though. The hack a howard basically won the game for Portland.

CavaliersFTW
05-03-2014, 06:01 PM
Actually he's always been a great passer out of the post (see the great find for a Lin 3 that got disqualified cos of a Jones charge late in the 4th). The reason he struggled with LA is because they had very weak 3pt shooters and teams were allowed to swarm him.

Portland was so afraid to leave the shooters, they rarely doubled Dwight. Also, Lopez and LMA are not strong enough to stop him from getting deep post position.
I think what he's saying is he never fakes the pass - which would make the defense have to work that much harder and be that much more alert when he touches the ball. Instead he gets tunnel vision when he's committed to score so he's sort of telegraphing that he's going to go straight to the hole, no feigned passes or outside looks to his teammates at all.

Mr. Jabbar
05-03-2014, 06:06 PM

pau gasol has specialque
dwight howard has le shaqtus

Le Shaqtus
05-03-2014, 06:13 PM
pau gasol has specialque
dwight howard has le shaqtus

:banana:

The-Legend-24
05-03-2014, 07:34 PM
So now we acting like Dwight actually has a post game based on some highlights? :oldlol:

Quick, someone find some highlights of Harden playing defense. :oldlol:

Le Shaqtus
05-03-2014, 07:40 PM
So now we acting like Dwight actually has a post game based on some highlights? :oldlol:

Quick, someone find some highlights of Harden playing defense. :oldlol:

He was posting up well the whole series, Dwight's post game may be limited but lets not pretend he doesn't have one.

Are we gonna pretend that he's garbage just because of his one shit season in LA post back injury then decided to leave?

Cold soul
05-03-2014, 07:43 PM
Howard played extremely well. I haven't seen him play this well since his Orlando days, he deserves little blame for first round playoff loss.

STATUTORY
05-03-2014, 07:44 PM
blazers didnt even respect him enough to send a double team. they let him have his post ups because of its inefficiency

CavaliersFTW
05-03-2014, 07:46 PM
Howard played extremely well. I haven't seen him play this well since his Orlando days, he deserves little blame for first round playoff loss.
I agree

andremiller07
05-03-2014, 07:47 PM
Look at other good power big men numbers vs Lopez, Portland's lets you smash Lopez while trying to keep everyone else quiet. While Dwight played terrific there is a number of reaons for it and one of them is the way Portland plays.

Pekovic 26.5 and 10 on 62.2%
Griffin 35.5 and 10.5 on 58.2%
Cousins 33.3 and 11.5 on 50%

ZenMaster
05-03-2014, 07:49 PM

It's half the story, no misses and turnovers.

He did good though.

STATUTORY
05-03-2014, 07:59 PM
True. Doesnt show the Misses, Turnovers, but also not the Assists/Passing out of the Post.
the bold never really happened, the former are not fictitious however

TheGreatDeraj
05-03-2014, 08:03 PM

Okay and now re-watch that video and tell me how many of those made baskets were one on one coverage. Portland was leaving Dwight on an island. He made some nice moves yes...but a lot of those baskets he has two feet in the paint against an average defender.

That defense was designed to stop Harden and three pointers, not Dwight.

Dwight has always been good in those situations. It's when the defense is targeting him as the number one option he is exposed.

CavaliersFTW
05-03-2014, 08:12 PM
Okay and now re-watch that video and tell me how many of those made baskets were one on one coverage. Portland was leaving Dwight on an island. He made some nice moves yes...but a lot of those baskets he has two feet in the paint against an average defender.

That defense was designed to stop Harden and three pointers, not Dwight.

Dwight has always been good in those situations. It's when the defense is targeting him as the number one option he is exposed.
Dwight passes out of doubles though, as any smart/good player should do unless their teammates are absolute trash but even then it isn't common for a player to look to attempt to shoot through doubles. So of course the lion share of all of his shot attempts would be against single coverage, that's how EVERY player looks to play even guys like Kobe pass out of doubles more often than not, only in a highlight reel would you expect to see bucket after bucket of a player scoring over double and triple teams. Because that's a highlight reel. This is different than a highlight reel, it's all his FGM from post-ups from the series.

TheGreatDeraj
05-03-2014, 08:17 PM
Dwight passes out of doubles though, as any smart/good player should do unless their teammates are absolute trash. So of course the lion share of all of his shot attempts would be against single coverage, that's how EVERY player plays, only in a highlight reel would you expect to see bucket after bucket of a player scoring over double and triple teams.

Exactly those are all his baskets over an entire 6 game series. Watch how the defense responds to Dwight as he gets the ball in the post, you can see the defensive gameplan is to single Dwight and try to limit Harden and the 3's

For example, we don't see plays where they post up Dwight, the defense takes the ball out of Dwights hands and he reposts and makes a basket.

rezznor
05-03-2014, 09:20 PM
:applause:

Real talk, Dwight gets zero blame for this series. After LMA cooled down, he was the best player on the floor. After he did us dirty I won't be a fan of his again, but he was tremendous. Hit his FTs too for the most part.

Lillard had a good series too and hit that bomb to win the series, Dwight got no help from Harden + co.

how exactly did howard do the lakers dirty?