PDA

View Full Version : Official 2014 Off season thread

Legends66NBA7
05-05-2014, 01:15 AM
Now that the playoffs have concluded for the Raptors (sadly short, but it is to expected for such a young team), we can state all discussions about the future of the franchise. What needs at which position, coaching changes, draft night picks, trade, FA's, etc...

Feel free to post any ideas and suggestions you would like.

BurningHammer
05-05-2014, 10:03 AM
Keep:
Derozan
Valanciunas
Amir Johnson
Vasquez
Patterson

Dump:
Fields
Salmons
Hayes

Keep/dump under right prices:
Lowry
Ross
De Colo
Casey

Dunno:
Hansbrough
Novak
Stone
Buycks

Raps will have $2M extra cap space through Camby's contract to do something with. And, if Raps choose to amnesty Fields, they will have a large space to work on, either re-signing Lowry or signing another big free agent for another playoff push.

barkleynash
05-05-2014, 10:25 AM
Raps can't amnesty Fields. They already used the amnesty with Kleiza.

I'd love it if they could get Lowry for 4 years 44 million. That would leave us room to try to sign PJ Tucker to a two year deal. The glaring weakness the whole series was our inability to guard Joe Johnson. You have to be able to guard one on one to win. We couldn't do that this series.
Then we draft the best player available, wing, post or Point guard. Doesn't matter. Can make some trades or tweaks from there.

Lowry Vazquez de Colo
Derozen Tucker De Colo
Ross Tucker Fields
Patterson Amir
Val Hayes Free -agent or second round center. Bachynski would be a good second round pick or free-agent back-up center. Canadian to boot.

There are only 6-8 teams in the league that had a crazy size advantage on the wing. Tucker could help eliminate that issue.

Ross and Val have to really keep improving. I kinda like Patterson starting over Amir. Amir is the perfect first post off the bench for a playoff team.

Not sure if Casey will be back. Some good coaches out there. Masai may want to upgrade.

missionman
05-05-2014, 10:39 AM
http://*********.com/salaries/toronto.htm

Team Options:
Salmons - dump ($7MM)
Amir johnson - $7MM - pick, maybe negotiate for extension - guy is part of the soul of the Raptors, and I don't think he'd mind if he had to come off the bench again in the future. Doesn't seem to be that kind of guy.
Buycks ' ($800 k) - dump

Qualifying Offers:
Patterson, Vasquez - take their qualifying offers, and maybe negotiate extensions. Gotta keep these guys. I hated Vasquez for a little bit but he earned the right to take big shots. Patterson is a workhorse, and i wonder if he can develop into a true power forward.

'Stuck with':
Demar, Novak, JV, Ross

Final Year of Contract:
Hayes, Landry, Hansborough - can they still amnesty, say Landry Fields ($8.5MM) , if they can't trade him as an expirer?

********* indicates a total of $41MM with all options and qualifying offers taken, but you can subtract about $8MM for Salmons and Buycks. So that would mean $33MM for a cap of probably $58MM(?? - someone needs to confirm whatever it is i am writing) or maybe $25MM in space.

I think Lowry is going to command maybe $70MM over 5 years. I kind of think he has Masai by the balls.

Overall, good cap flexiblity with Bird Rights. I wonder who else Raptors might go after? Was thinking this to myself, but two potential FA's that make sense for the Raptors to get back (in addition to re-signing Lowry) are Carter and Bosh - a legitimate big shot veteran who can come off the bench, and (somewhat) legitimate Power Forward (I say somewhat because he doesn't have all the power in his game that he had as a Raptor anymore). What a hoot that would be - the only other guy missing would be Damon Stoudemire as far as past Raptor 'superstars'. Never gonna happen of course.

BurningHammer
05-05-2014, 10:41 AM
Raps can't amnesty Fields. They already used the amnesty with Kleiza.
Thanks for correction, not clearly understand how amnesty works. :hammerhead:

Still, Fields will be a trade bait next year anyway. Salmons waiving will also create a large space ($7M) also.

kwajo
05-05-2014, 10:47 AM
Other than the problems at SF, I think the biggest hole we have is at the 4 spot. Amir and PatPat are likeable players, but neither would be considered a starter on a contending team. We need to find someone of around maybe David West's level at PF, that would give us better spacing on O for Val in the post and also give better help D if we keep DD and Ross as our primary wings.

barkleynash
05-05-2014, 01:10 PM
Yeah, I am not sure. I would love Amir and Patterson as our second unit posts. 24 minutes a game each. Val at 32 minutes. Amir can guard back-up centers no problem.

I look at a guy like Draymond Green or a Paul Millsap. That would be an ideal starting 4 man for us. Draymond and Millsap could cover mobile 4's, Pierce, as well as big strong wings like Joe Johnson.

Both of those guys are capable of guarding players at the 3/4 positions.
The tweener forward is a becoming a valuable position in todays NBA.
I say tweener in a positive way, one who can guard two positions one who can post up, and/ or take a slower player out on the perimeter.

Patterson is kind of a tweener, but not at the level as those other guys. Maybe, with lots of work, he can become a more versatile player and fill that roll.

If we had tucker in this series, we win in 5 or 6 games. He is unrestricted, I think we should really take a look at this guy. Give him a three year deal worth 14 million and see if he bites.

Who do you guys think we will draft?

kmart
05-05-2014, 01:26 PM
Watching locker cleanouts and this came up

"The most important difference I've seen in Kyle is his ability to lose weight. In Houston he was on the heavy side"

- Patrick Patterson:oldlol:

Jballer
05-05-2014, 01:29 PM
No Cap room.

No free agents. No Salmons. No Stone (or Bucyks). This assumes Klow signs for a mere $11M - it might be $15M ??

The only room to move is Cedric/Fields/ Novak unless you consider moving a Ross (not likely given cap constraints).

DeMar DeRozan $9,500,000.00
Amir Johnson $7,000,000.00
Kyle Lowry $11,000,000.00
Chuck Hayes $5,958,750.00
Landry Fields $8,500,000.00
Steve Novak $3,445,947.00
Jonas Valanciunas $3,678,360.00
Marcus Camby $4,177,208.00
Tyler Hansbrough $3,326,235.00
Patrick Patterson $4,319,473.00
Terrence Ross $2,793,960.00
Greivis Vasquez $3,203,780.00
Nando De Colo $900,000.00
Dwight Buycks $816,482.00
1st round rookie $1,300,000.00

Total $69,920,195.00

2) Serious risk that Vasquez gets a RFA Offer sheet front end loaded that Toronto cannot match !

His QOffer is $5M + change. An RFA Offer sheet for $7.5 Million eliminates the Raps from matching potentially.

Think Lakers/Rockets.

3) Therefore draft the best available talent...

I would prefer that be seasoned by
1) PG of future
2) SF and
3) PF in that order.

4) Think about this. In the loss to the Nets when Casey had to go to the bench past Vasquez the 6th man...

Patterson - played good all around

Landry Fields - 0 Points total all series

John Salmons - 18 point all series.

kaiteng
05-05-2014, 02:19 PM
DeMar DeRozan $9,500,000.00
Amir Johnson $7,000,000.00
Kyle Lowry $11,000,000.00
Chuck Hayes $5,958,750.00
Landry Fields $8,500,000.00
Steve Novak $3,445,947.00
Jonas Valanciunas $3,678,360.00
Marcus Camby $4,177,208.00
Tyler Hansbrough $3,326,235.00
Patrick Patterson $4,319,473.00
Terrence Ross $2,793,960.00
Greivis Vasquez $3,203,780.00
Nando De Colo $900,000.00
Dwight Buycks $816,482.00
1st round rookie $1,300,000.00

Total $69,920,195.00
$646,609 in 2014-15

http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/TOR.html

Jballer
05-05-2014, 02:25 PM
$646,609 in 2014-15

So Camby's hit is only $649609 ??

I will take you at your word.

Actually I think due to averaging Fields true cap hit is only $7.5 Million.

Either way it doesnt change much of anything.

If Klow signs for anything over $11M (from above) that pretty much eats up that 3-4 Million.

Maybe Alan Anderson (type) will come over for a couple of million. Maybe Vasquez will want to stay and we need that cap space to increase over his Qualifying Offer.

Bottom line : No Free agents

I guess the big hope would be turning : Fields, Hayes, Novak's contracts via trade into a very very solid player (think Iggy type) while keeping Ross, Patterson, and Vasquez on board.

MU has a great track record but there are only so many miracles to go around.

2015-16 looks to be better with the potential addition of another 1st rounder and 2 more first rounders (via Knicks) in the pipeline... and Amirs new deal.

barkleynash
05-05-2014, 04:51 PM
I think the only way for this team to contend for a title is to go over the cap. Not yet, but in a year or two when this team is ready to compete. In two years, maybe Val will be an all-star. I know that is a big maybe. He is only 21 years old. If him and Ross can improve as much next year as they did from their first to second years the raps are already on the rise.
We need a big, physical defensive wing. I keep saying Tucker (on a two or three year deal) because I really think he can lock down the top wing leaving ross and derozen to take the second best wing. Ross can guard point guards which will allow Lowry to rest on defence a bit, being more of a helper and charge taker.

Next Summer I think we go after a big name free-agent, either a starting 4 or star three man. I'd love a flex forward type who can play both positions.
Then you can sign your own guys like Amir, Vaz, Patterson to go over the cap.

Off the cap next year will be hayes, fields, patterson, vaz, amir. Then you sign these guys to go over the cap.

You also have four first rounders the next three years. one this year, one next and 2 in 2016. They could be dangled in potential trades to land a star.

Overall, masai has good flexibility, a young roster, and after next year, no bad contracts.

kmart
05-06-2014, 01:49 PM
I think after the Rudy Gay trade the size at the 3 became a problem and unless Terrance Ross gains 20-30 pounds I think we need a wing defender. However, the Raptors won't have cap space after they re-sign Lowry, Vasquez, and possibly Patterson. The best way to go is probably to draft a wing defender. Maybe Jerami Grant or K.J. McDaniel.

Kungfro
05-06-2014, 01:58 PM
[QUOTE][B]I know it

rosonviyavong
05-06-2014, 03:56 PM
So after Raptors resign Lowry, Patterson, and Vasquez ..

We need a long perimeter defender so the available ones for Toronto in free agency are:

Deng (Might hinder T-Ross development but fits perfectly into what Toronto needs)

Marion (Returning to the Raptors but with a more proper role coming off the bench with energy, veteran leadership, and defense)

Ariza (Another perfect fit but he would definitely need to start)

Sefolosha (So perfect and he can probably come off the bench too)

Al Farouq Aminu (Might not really add much tbh but it's worth a shot)

kmart
05-07-2014, 12:56 AM
So after Raptors resign Lowry, Patterson, and Vasquez ..

We need a long perimeter defender so the available ones for Toronto in free agency are:

Deng (Might hinder T-Ross development but fits perfectly into what Toronto needs)

Marion (Returning to the Raptors but with a more proper role coming off the bench with energy, veteran leadership, and defense)

Ariza (Another perfect fit but he would definitely need to start)

Sefolosha (So perfect and he can probably come off the bench too)

Al Farouq Aminu (Might not really add much tbh but it's worth a shot)

With the salary cap situation I don't think Deng or Ariza or Marion (could be if he is really willing to settle) are available.

barkleynash
05-07-2014, 01:16 AM
Been reading a bunch on kj mcdaniels out of Clemson. 6'6 small forward. Wing stopper most mocks have him in the 20-25 range. He could really help solve our defensive wing problems.

Jballer
05-07-2014, 09:51 AM
These are the guys we can realistically project to get - 15 - 25 - never sure if the Cavs or some other team choose a surprise pick but these guys are projected in the range. i.e. anyone or potentially all of these guys could be available at Raps pick if teams are looking for something else.

*NBAdraft.net

Masai should be able to trade up or down 5 spots for his guy because the money is about the same; the big hold up being the other team wants your guy. Shouldnt take more than a package of 2nd rounders to move up. Probably a straight cash change hands to move down

15 Rodney Hood 6-8 215 SF Duke
16 Tyler Ennis 6-2 180 PG Syracuse
17 Zach LaVine 6-5 180 PG/SG UCLA
18 Shabazz Napier 6-1 185 PG UConn
19 Adreian Payne 6-10 245 PF Michigan St.
20 Jerami Grant 6-8 210 SF Syracuse
21 TJ Warren 6-8 225 SF NC State
22 Elfrid Payton 6-3 190 PG Louisiana Laf...
23 Cleanthony Early 6-8 220 SF/PF Wichita State
24 Glenn Robinson III 6-6 220 SF Michigan
25 Jordan Adams 6-5 220 SG UCLA

Your stretch defender Jerami Grant or Glenn Robinson ... but rookies dont generally have D skills early.

Jballer
05-07-2014, 11:27 AM
Thought : What do Raptor fans think of "moving out of the draft all together ??"

Who would have thought that was even a consideration at game 1 ?

Notice the abundence of PGs at the 15 - 25 range.

I assume these projections are likely because most teams are set at the 1 spot now and/or none of the PG talent shines so bright like a KIrving.

If the bottom half of the draft order is full of PG - and no one seems to want or need to groom a 2ndry option - and we have Vasquez .....

Would you actually consider flipping this first rounder and the $1.3 Million cap hit for a First rounder next season (2 over all) ??

Or even this first rounder and .....<insert here> for a current player ?? Assume the deal is 1st rounder plus Novak for Vince Carter on a 2 years deal??

Jballer
05-07-2014, 11:33 AM
I would keep the pick or move up for Ennis (letting DeColo / Buyck / Stone go)

bluerap
05-07-2014, 07:43 PM
Thought : What do Raptor fans think of "moving out of the draft all together ??"

Who would have thought that was even a consideration at game 1 ?

Notice the abundence of PGs at the 15 - 25 range.

I assume these projections are likely because most teams are set at the 1 spot now and/or none of the PG talent shines so bright like a KIrving.

If the bottom half of the draft order is full of PG - and no one seems to want or need to groom a 2ndry option - and we have Vasquez .....

Would you actually consider flipping this first rounder and the $1.3 Million cap hit for a First rounder next season (2 over all) ??

Or even this first rounder and .....<insert here> for a current player ?? Assume the deal is 1st rounder plus Novak for Vince Carter on a 2 years deal??

Vince carter is a free agent. Even if he weren't I would never give up a first rounder for him. I would consider moving the pick though for the right piece.

I also would not be surprised to see a big trade involving one or two of TRoss, Derozan and/or Val.

Qwyjibo
05-07-2014, 09:39 PM
I also would not be surprised to see a big trade involving one or two of TRoss, Derozan and/or Val.
I could see it happening. More so with Ross or Derozan. I don't see them dealing Valanciunas unless they're getting someone like Al Horford and they just "go for it" for the next 2 years or so.

On that note, how amazing would it be to have Al Horford on the Raptors? Incredibly unlikely but he's sort of my dream player to add to this team.

Jballer
05-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Vince carter is a free agent. Even if he weren't I would never give up a first rounder for him. I would consider moving the pick though for the right piece.

Your right bad example.. was just throwing it out there..as a sign and trade.

But there are other players I also would consider targeting.

I would be surprised if any current piece were moved including Ross. His cap hit is pretty favorable compared to contribution and he is exactly the type of piece that Masai assembled in Denver... Even more so in terms of Val and especially Derozan. I cannot think of any $9M allstars last two years... I mean any all stars not on their rookie deal (Irving) earning only $9M.

The pick at 20 is probably a top 10 player in any other draft; but interestingly is harder to fit into our cap structure "this year" due to Camby, Fields, Hayes, Novak.

Assuming they dont break the vault for KLow I could actually see management using the pick for:

(1) a sweetener with one of Fields Hayes Novak for the right player... being something of a contract worth ($1.3M rookie deal) + 3.5 to $7.5 million depending on above. A $5M - $10M player

Perhaps better or more likely..

(2) a move to aquire 4 picks in 2 years. These first rounders of various levels would hit the books just as Fields, Hayes come off and Amir renegotiates. Again with 4 picks in 2 years you might also be able to trade into the "consensus top 3" in any given draft.

Legends66NBA7
05-08-2014, 04:21 PM
On that note, how amazing would it be to have Al Horford on the Raptors? Incredibly unlikely but he's sort of my dream player to add to this team.

I feel the same way, but his injury issues are a concern. He's torn his pectoral muscle twice and missed significant amount of time in both 2012 and this season.

Chris Bosh would actually be a good fit on this current team too, but he would have his role shortened as he is not the same player he was from 2007-2010. Ditto for LaMarcus Aldridge (contract finished next season). I keep bringing this up, but the fact we could have had both Bosh and LMA in 2006... :facepalm

raptorfan_dr07
05-11-2014, 12:00 AM
I keep bringing this up, but the fact we could have had both Bosh and LMA in 2006... :facepalm

That was who I wanted in the 2006 draft. I remember there were "concerns" within the organization I believe as to the possible redundancy of Bosh/Aldridge. A prime example of why you never draft for need and always go BPA, sort it out later.

As far as the team next season, no quick fixes. That means no Deng, no Randolph, no Gasol, no whoever other old veteran has been mentioned. Absolutely NO to Vince Carter. He does nothing but take valuable minutes away from Ross and Derzoan and no way someone like Amir, a guy who embodies mental toughness and Raptors basketball, should have to give up his jersey # for a guy who quit on the franchise. Plus I don't want his attitude rubbing off on the young guys and in the locker room. I don't understand this fascination with the past that I've seen Raptor fans on other boards have, as well as in the media and quite possibly the organization. This is a new era of Raptors basketball, one that looks semi-bright. We've got some young, developing faces that play tough and gritty, a likeable team that the fanbase has rallied behind no matter if you initially thought we should tank or not. I'm sure Lowry has more heart in his pinky finger then Carter has in his entire body. Let it go, that chapter in Raptors history has already been written. Let's move on and enjoy the future.

I like what Masai's said so far in that our free agent targets will be our own players(Lowry, Vazquez, Patterson). All three back would be nice, and probably should happen unless one gets a ridiculous offer elsewhere. Decline Salmons option and if possible, try and jettison Hayes and Fields although I'd imagine there's zero market for them.

I'm content with bringing the core back and banking on more internal development. At this point, the only major roster additions should be through the draft.

Jballer
05-12-2014, 10:23 AM
I'm content with bringing the core back and banking on more internal development. At this point, the only major roster additions should be through the draft.

It is interesting and a little ironic...

I am not calling you out or anything dr7 but I think a lot of Raptor fans are in the same boat... me "partially" as well.

The ironic part is the teams major move - unloading Gay - was the catalyst to the good season.

I guess I am being over optimistic - I want my cake and eat it too.

Keep the draft pick but...

Make a move for some other "starting piece" anywhere on the floor except for KLow / Derozan / Val. To make that move you have to convinece another team to take : 1) Expiring contracts worth $12Million for Landry / Hayes 2) a $4M contract for a noted outside shooter like Novak and depending on the player 3) Give up some potential in a player like Ross to get what you want.

Again I caution "dont over value this roster". Its good but it may not be good enough next season.

Legends66NBA7
05-12-2014, 06:46 PM
Raptors to bring in Eric Griffin to the summer league.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Eric-Griffin-7023/

A long, lanky four man, Griffin bares a striking resemblance to 2010 draftee and current Jazz power forward Jeremy Evans from a physical standpoint. He has decent height for his position, but plays bigger thanks to his exceptional wingspan and the quickness in which he gets off his feet. An explosive leaper who runs the floor like a guard, Griffin is simply an outstanding athlete. He'll need to add considerable bulk to his extremely lanky frame if he's to hold his own against opposing big men at the professional level, though, which may be his biggest question mark moving forward.

Though Griffin's athleticism certainly piques the interest of scouts at first glance, his efficiency on the offensive end this season has been perhaps just as impressive. Spending a significant amount of time spotting up on the perimeter as a junior, Griffin has done the majority of his work in the paint as a senior. Establishing a low base and managing to get solid position on the block against stronger opponents, Griffin's teammates do a terrific job finding him in the post. Showing a strong work ethic and presenting a big target thanks to his long wingspan, Griffin does a nice job putting himself in scoring position against the lower level competition he faces.

When Griffin receives the ball on the block, he shows a basic, but promising post-game that includes a baby hook, turnaround jump, and even an occasional counter move or face-up drive. After connecting on 40% of his post-up field goal attempts as a junior, Griffin is finishing nearly 55% of his back to the basket shots so far this season according to Synergy Sports Technology.

Showing improved decisiveness and touch, Griffin can score over smaller defenders and use his quickness against stronger ones. His efficiency wavers at times when he doesn't make a quick move and is walled off by a bigger defender, and he remains fairly unpolished in terms of what moves he's using to score.

Away from the post, Griffin shows the same raw versatility that helps him impact the game offensively in the paint. Whether he's putting the ball on the floor and beating his man to the rim in an isolation situation, pushing the ball up the floor on the fast-break himself, or knocking down a jump shot after putting his defender on his heels with a jab, Griffin has some intriguing raw tools to work with on the perimeter.

His 65% shooting from the foul line and 6-17 shooting from beyond the arc are indicative of his jump shooting inconsistency at this point, but he has a high release point and seems to have some potential in this area considering how comfortable he looks knocking down shots in rhythm from time to time.

As a ball-handler, Griffin is not terribly polished, but shows a quick first step and can use his dribble to get to the basket when he is working out on the perimeter. He's still learning how to use his speed in half-court situations to slash to the rim, but his comfort level putting the ball on the deck has come a long way since his junior season, even if it is still only starting to develop.

Griffin has room for growth in a number of areas and could develop into a number of roles, but is a long ways away from being consistent in any one area at this point. His best tool as a NBA prospect right now is his ability to finish at the rim. Converting 80% of his shots around the basket according to Synergy, Griffin's explosive leaping ability makes him a threat to dunk over defenders in highlight reel fashion when he receives the ball cutting to the rim, running the floor in transition, or pulling down an offensive board. Though Griffin is only an above average rebounder on the offensive end, his explosiveness and ability to use fakes make him a tremendously efficient scorer in the paint at the level of competition he plays at.

Defensively, Griffin's main value is as a shot blocker. He's quick to rotate from the weakside and uses his explosiveness and length to deny would-be scorers emphatically. His lack of strength limits him to some degree on the NCAA level in the post and as a rebounder, and though he has the quickness to hedge the pick and roll as a pro and is a difficult matchup for face-up fours or big men who step away from the rim, his ability to pack weight on his frame will dictate his ability to capably defend the block one-on-one at the next level –a crucial sticking point in his development as a prospect.

Patch work for now. He's got a SF body and will probably be a better option than the current hold overs at the position outside of the starters.

Jballer
05-13-2014, 11:16 AM
Raptors to bring in Eric Griffin to the summer league.

Patch work for now. He's got a SF body and will probably be a better option than the current hold overs at the position outside of the starters.

Could be simple summer league foder as well ??

If Franciso Garcia is available and interested I wonder if we could do a sign and trade witht the Rockets.