PDA

View Full Version : Dirk will not sign overpaid Kobe like deal, wants team to get better.

Jameerthefear
05-06-2014, 05:52 PM
[QUOTE=Dirk Nowitzki]"We want to get better as a team,

CelticBaller
05-06-2014, 05:53 PM
Not surprised, there's nobody more selfish than that guy :applause:

Doranku
05-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Translation: Cuban gonna pay Dirk under the table

Black and White
05-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Dirk still has a shot at a ring because he doesn't have an idiot like Jim Buss calling the shots.

Akrazotile
05-06-2014, 05:55 PM
This is like saying "breaking news: dirk not planning to force innocent young women to have sex with him at away game hotels". It just goes without saying.

Threethrows
05-06-2014, 05:56 PM
Dirk is not a smart man. He's letting his emotions get in the way of practicality when considering his future estate.

Kobe is cold, calculating, and Alpha.

:coleman:

DirkNowitzki41
05-06-2014, 05:57 PM
tyson chandler
dirk
melo
ellis
lowry

get it done cubes.

Jameerthefear
Dirk still has a shot at a ring because he doesn't have an idiot like Jim Buss calling the shots.
And because he's a much better player than Kobe at this point.

CelticBaller
Dirk is not a smart man. He's letting his emotions get in the way of practicality when considering his future estate.

Kobe is cold, calculating, and Alpha.

:coleman:
an alpha doesn't resort to rape or snitch

TheMarkMadsen
Dirk The Lord of the rings ethering Kobe "one fluke run" once again

Take notes chuckbe

Threethrows
05-06-2014, 05:58 PM

Plenty of species alphas do doe

DirkNowitzki41
05-06-2014, 05:59 PM

Take notes chuckbe

fluke? :roll: lets see kobes career without stacked teams, and HOF bigs.

stay mad, kid.

Black and White
05-06-2014, 05:59 PM
And because he's a much better player than Kobe at this point.

Well Kobe hasn't played yet, so yea, can't make a judgement until he plays again.

Black and White
05-06-2014, 06:00 PM
tyson chandler
dirk
melo
ellis
lowry

get it done cubes.

Loving that lineup, I would reckon Asik would be better than Chandler at this point tho

Heavincent
05-06-2014, 06:01 PM

stay mad, kid.

Won 2 rings without a stacked team :confusedshrug:

IllegalD
05-06-2014, 06:01 PM

Take notes chuckbe

:applause:

This. Dirk knows that he can't win sh*t as the man unless it's a fluke run like in 2011. Basically Dirk is conceding he's a beta f*ck like we've all known he is and knows he needs another alpha dog on the team to carry his choking ass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l50IKDVpDiM

SamuraiSWISH
05-06-2014, 06:02 PM
MJ played for a 1 million a piece each season for the Wizards, and donated player salary to the 9/11 fund. I still don't understand why Kobe needed to handicap his team if he's actually trying to compete for rings by accepting that much per season. He could still have a nice salary, and allow for cap space to get more support. Odd.

secund2nun
05-06-2014, 06:03 PM
Won 2 rings without a stacked team :confusedshrug:

Really? Is that why Gasol was the real finals MVP in 2009 and 2010 and is that why prime Kobe failed to even win a single playoff series and get better than a 7th seed without having an elite front court? He went 6/24 and shot 40% yet they beat the Celtics.....but yeah okay not stacked lol

Kobe is a fraud and not even a top 25 player of all time.

blablabla
05-06-2014, 06:03 PM
nobody would offer him kobe money anyway

SCdac
05-06-2014, 06:05 PM
What a humble person and player, def ain't a Kobe.

For the Mavs, at Dirk's age and mobility, I fear they're not just a couple of fringe All-Stars away from a chip but rather a high end-All star/superstar away from doing it. Carmelo would be interesting. But will huge stars be willing to join Dallas or will they balk kinda like D-Will did?

IllegalD
05-06-2014, 06:05 PM
MJ played for a 1 million a piece each season for the Wizards, and donated player salary to the 9/11 fund. I still don't understand why Kobe needed to handicap his team if he's actually trying to compete for rings by accepting that much per season. He could still have a nice salary, and allow for cap space to get more support. Odd.

:facepalm

Lakers have upwards to 28 million to spend this offseason, and that's without stretching Nash. That's enough to sign one other max player and another good player. Or 3-4 non-max good players. Then in 2016 Lakers are players in the FA market again.

If Kobe had taken some fantasy paycut haters would be saying that he needs a stacked team to win and would already be trying to illegitimize any ring he won with help (like they already do).

riseagainst
05-06-2014, 06:06 PM

at least he didnt get his father murdered.

DirkNowitzki41
05-06-2014, 06:06 PM
Loving that lineup, I would reckon Asik would be better than Chandler at this point tho

yeah. id rather have asik or sanders, but marc stein reported that mavs were interested in tyson, so its probably more realistic.

nightprowler10
05-06-2014, 06:07 PM
I don't get hating on Kobe for his salary. He didn't put a gun to anybody's head and rob them.

DirkNowitzki41
05-06-2014, 06:07 PM
nobody would offer him kobe money anyway

No shit. he is 35. Only dallas would've done it.

just like how no body would give kobe that overpaid deal other than the lakers

ralph_i_el
05-06-2014, 06:08 PM

Lakers have upwards to 28 million to spend this offseason, and that's without stretching Nash. That's enough to sign one other max player and another good player. Or 3-4 non-max good players. Then in 2016 Lakers are players in the FA market again.

If Kobe had taken some fantasy paycut haters would be saying that he needs a stacked team to win and would already be trying to illegitimize any ring he won with help (like they already do).

Because they'll only have 5 players under contract....at $35m......and only 1 of those players is worth anything......kobe.......IF HIS LEG WORKS

~$24m for 7 roster spots with no real assets is a losing proposition. They won't be able to spend way over the cap with bird rights because they won't have anybody's bird rights beside Kobe and they already signed him.

best case scenario:

Kobe comes back at 100% (not likely)
They sign a Bosh or Lebron (not likely)
Their lottery pick plays at a RoY level (decent chance)
Then they STILL would have to hit on a bunch of low end free agents and vets taking paycuts to fill out the team. (not with their management)

Jameerthefear
05-06-2014, 06:09 PM

la doesn't have 28 mil. they have like 22 mil if they don't resign gasol lol

IllegalD
05-06-2014, 06:10 PM
Really? Is that why Gasol was the real finals MVP in 2009 and 2010 and is that why prime Kobe failed to even win a single playoff series and get better than a 7th seed without having an elite front court? He went 6/24 and shot 40% yet they beat the Celtics.....but yeah okay not stacked lol

LeBron is supposed to be "the greatest of all time" yet never won shit until he joined another Finals MVP winner and a third superstar in Bosh. Bosh put up better numbers as the man than Gasol ever did, yet he's LeBron's third option. Kobe won his rings with only one other HOF player (Shaq in the first three, Gasol in the last 2) by his side. LeBron needed 2, and 3 (Ray Allen) for his rings respectively.

Not to mention that he's winning in a soft-ass era where any tick-tack foul is an automatic trip to the line and LeBron just bowls over everyone.

On top of that he's had the BEST luck of any "GOAT candidate" as far as having an easy path paved for him with multiple all-stars on opposing teams that would've challenged him being injured during the playoffs.

And even with all of that he was STILL a Ray Allen legacy-saving miracle shot from having a 1-3 record in the finals and being known as a modern Wilt choker.

CelticBaller
at least he didnt get his father murdered.
nice comeback :oldlol:

DMAVS41
What a humble person and player, def ain't a Kobe.

For the Mavs, at Dirk's age and mobility, I fear they're not just a couple of fringe All-Stars away from a chip but rather a high end-All star/superstar away from doing it. Carmelo would be interesting. But will huge stars be willing to join Dallas or will they balk kinda like D-Will did?

It depends on if Dirk declines much over the next couple years...

If he doesn't, deng/asik or ariza/gortat...type combos would be more than enough.

We would have been the 2 or 3 seed this year with those guys on the roster and a truly legit contender.

StephHamann
05-06-2014, 06:12 PM
yeah. id rather have asik or sanders, but marc stein reported that mavs were interested in tyson, so its probably more realistic.

"experts"
http://i.imgur.com/IK0pB.png

Black and White
05-06-2014, 06:12 PM

Yep, big body, good rebounder/defensive player, as long as you guys don't have to overpay him to get him back, then he is a solid option.

christian1923
05-06-2014, 06:15 PM
There is nothing more alpha than demanding to be the highest paid player

SCdac
05-06-2014, 06:16 PM
It depends on if Dirk declines much over the next couple years...

If he doesn't, deng/asik or ariza/gortat...type combos would be more than enough.

We would have been the 2 or 3 seed this year with those guys on the roster and a truly legit contender.

Word, that's cool. I disagree that that would be "more than enough" but obviously they'd be that much better than now. Don't think adding older Deng and current Asik would make them serious contenders, but I like the Ariza/Gortat duo better (keep in mind, I dont consider the Spurs as the best team in the league or even the west, so pushing them in the first round and eventually losing is not indicative of Mavs being near-contenders). Personally, I think they need another big star. It would be awesome too if Dirk could effectively shift to SF or C, but he can't. Not too fond of his defensive presence nowadays at 35 (for a champ level team)

blablabla
05-06-2014, 06:16 PM
No shit. he is 35. Only dallas would've done it.

just like how no body would give kobe that overpaid deal other than the lakers
no way cuban would be crazy enough to pay dirk so much money, he's not a cash cow like kobe
the lakers can pay Kobe 30 mil. and still make a profit, people come in to the arena to see kobe play

TheReal Kendall
05-06-2014, 06:17 PM
I honestly would have taken more money. Dirk already got a ring and won it as the man so he really has nothing else to prove.

He will never be considered in the top 10 all time so he might as well get his money and make sure his kids straight.

Dirk is a nicer guy than Kobe so this doesn't surprise me at all.

Kobe needs all the money he can get cause if he screw up one more time his wife gonna leave him and take half of everything

Jameerthefear
05-06-2014, 06:18 PM
aka "i just got owned and have no comeback"
who are you? added to future neg list.

DMAVS41

I don't see how Chandler is more realistic. He makes 6 more million a year and we'd have to get him through a trade.

Asik's 8.5 cap hit is way easier to obtain it would seem. Hell, we could get Lin and Asik for only slightly more salary than Chandler would cost. And Asik is the better player.

Would the Rockets do Calderon/Wright and 2nd rounder for Asik...if we found a destination for Lin as well? Or if we just did Calderon/Wright/Ellington and a 2nd round pick for Lin/Asik?

I personally don't want Calderon or Wright back...very down on both of them.

TheReal Kendall
no way cuban would be crazy enough to pay dirk so much money, he's not a cash cow like kobe
the lakers can pay Kobe 30 mil. and still make a profit, people come in to the arena to see kobe play

This is true also.

Heavincent

You're trying way too hard.

riseagainst
05-06-2014, 06:19 PM
who are you? added to future neg list.

reported for crying like a little chihuahua.

TheMagicMan
05-06-2014, 06:19 PM
The only thing Kobe's contract denies us is signing a free agent this year :facepalm

Lakers have continuously made it clear they have no plans on making a splash in free agency this season. Signing Melo would be stupid, LeBron is staying in Miami, and Greg Monroe is probably going to be retained by Detroit. So who does that leave us with?

Jameerthefear
05-06-2014, 06:20 PM
I don't see how Chandler is more realistic. He makes 6 more million a year and we'd have to get him through a trade.

Asik's 8.5 cap hit is way easier to obtain it would seem. Hell, we could get Lin and Asik for only slightly more salary than Chandler would cost. And Asik is the better player.

Would the Rockets do Calderon/Wright and 2nd rounder for Asik...if we found a destination for Lin as well? Or if we just did Calderon/Wright/Ellington and a 2nd round pick for Lin/Asik?

there is no way the rockets do that

Rocketswin2013
05-06-2014, 06:21 PM

No.

DMAVS41
05-06-2014, 06:21 PM
Word, that's cool. I disagree that that would be "more than enough" but obviously they'd be that much better than now. Don't think adding older Deng and current Asik would make them serious contenders, but I like the Ariza/Gortat duo better (keep in mind, I dont consider the Spurs as the best team in the league or even the west, so pushing them in the first round and eventually losing is not indicative of Mavs being near-contenders). Personally, I think they need another big star. It would be awesome too if Dirk could effectively shift to SF or C, but he can't. Not too fond of his defensive presence nowadays at 35 (for a champ level team)

Wait...what?

You don't think running out Calderon/Ellis/Deng/Dirk/Asik...with Harris/Carter/Wright/Blair/Dalembert off the bench makes them serious contenders?

We just lost in 7 to arguably the best team in the league and we had massive holes at sf and c. And it's not just the Spurs series. We won 49 despite playing a number of games with Larkin/Mekel playing significant minutes early on.

I don't see how the above team doesn't win 56 plus games....assuming no injuries or drop offs. If Dirk declines, then that is one thing, and will happen at some point, but if he played at the level he just did...that team is a legit contender. Unless you only define one team per conference as a contender.

ralph_i_el
05-06-2014, 06:23 PM

they won't come to see him lose 50 games will they?

Black and White
05-06-2014, 06:25 PM
Wait...what?

You don't think running out Calderon/Ellis/Deng/Dirk/Asik...with Harris/Carter/Wright/Blair/Dalembert off the bench makes them serious contenders?

We just lost in 7 to arguably the best team in the league and we had massive holes at sf and c.

I don't think he understands how the Mavs play, they are a team built on team ball and chemistry, all they are lacking is a SF and a C that can rebound, get Deng and Asik, thats a contending team right there, as long as Dirk can maintain his current level of production of course.

DMAVS41
05-06-2014, 06:27 PM
I don't think he understands how the Mavs play, they are a team built on team ball and chemistry, all they are lacking is a SF and a C that can rebound, get Deng and Asik, thats a contending team right there, as long as Dirk can maintain his current level of production of course.

Right.

I don't think people understand how awful we were at center this year. Dalembert was terrible and we were running out Blair's midget ass at backup because Wright's interior defense and pick/roll defense was beyond bad.

I actually think Dirk could drop off by like 10% next year with that above team and we'd still be right there with anyone in the West.

SCdac
05-06-2014, 06:27 PM
Wait...what?

We just lost in 7 to arguably the best team in the league and we have massive holes at sf and c.

Arguably, being the key word. Don't think Mavs would have gone far in the playoffs had they beaten SA IMO. I understand your opinion is different. We disagree alot on the strength of both the Mavs and Spurs I'm gathering, and we perceive the series differently. Mavs had some serious weak links defensively, and I'm not sure merely adding Deng and Asik fix them (Dirk is looking old and Calderon got lit up). Heading to class now so cant sit around and debate.

SCdac
05-06-2014, 06:30 PM

On the other hand, the mavs almost missed the playoffs. How long do you think Dirk will maintain his current play or better? out of curiosity

Black and White
05-06-2014, 06:31 PM
Right.

I don't think people understand how awful we were at center this year. Dalembert was terrible and we were running out Blair's midget ass at backup because Wright's interior defense and pick/roll defense was beyond bad.

I actually think Dirk could drop off by like 10% next year with that above team and we'd still be right there with anyone in the West.

With the way Monta is balling, and you put him next to Deng?? Damn, thats two players that can take a load off Dirk, and if you have Asik cleaning up the boards I can't see why anyone would say they wouldn't be one of the top teams in the west.

DMAVS41
05-06-2014, 06:32 PM
Arguably, being the key word. Don't think Mavs would have gone far in the playoffs had they beaten SA IMO. I understand your opinion is different. We disagree alot on the strength of both the Mavs and Spurs I'm gathering, and we perceive the series differently. Mavs had some serious weak links defensively, and I'm not sure merely adding Deng and Asik fix them (Dirk is looking old and Calderon got lit up). Heading to class now so cant sit around and debate.

Well...certainly adding a quality defense sf and one of the best defensive centers is going to help a ton defensively.

And Deng/Asik are better offensively...considerably...than Marion/Dalembert.

I don't know why you downplay the Spurs so much. They were the best regular season team and are now -400 favorites against the Blazers.

You don't give them enough respect.

But that isn't even why I'm saying this. It actually has very little to do with the Spurs series. Mavs fans have been saying it all year. Upgrading the sf and c positions would be huge....

I'd actually like to move Calderon as well. I don't think we need him to be honest. Like you said, he's terrible defensively and we don't trust him at the end of games.

Not only that, but I think getting rid of him would allow Larkin to back up Harris all season and I'd like him to get more burn.

I'd really like to see the Mavs test the waters with a Calderon/Wright and pick package to make a trade.

Black and White
05-06-2014, 06:32 PM
On the other hand, the mavs almost missed the playoffs. How long do you think Dirk will maintain his current play or better? out of curiosity

I would say 1 more year at this level and then start dropping off, the length of the contract he signs will tell you what he thinks about it though.

DMAVS41
05-06-2014, 06:34 PM

I think he can be an 18/6/3 58% TS player for 2 or 3 more years given the right conditions. Meaning a team that doesn't ask so much out of him on both ends. Adding a real center would really take a load off of him defensively...

I'm not saying they become favorites or anything, but there would be no team in the West with any considerable edge over a Mavs team that ran with;

Calderon/Ellis/Deng/Dirk/Asik with Harris/Carter/Wright/Dalembert/Blair/Larkin off the bench.

GimmeThat
05-06-2014, 06:34 PM
Translation:

The Lakers franchise makes more money than the Mavs.

Marlo_Stanfield
05-06-2014, 06:37 PM

:lebronamazed: :lebronamazed:

Marlo_Stanfield
05-06-2014, 06:40 PM
Wait...what?

We just lost in 7 to arguably the best team in the league and we had massive holes at sf and c. And it's not just the Spurs series. We won 49 despite playing a number of games with Larkin/Mekel playing significant minutes early on.

I don't see how the above team doesn't win 56 plus games....assuming no injuries or drop offs. If Dirk declines, then that is one thing, and will happen at some point, but if he played at the level he just did...that team is a legit contender. Unless you only define one team per conference as a contender.
nikka if you guys get Lin and Asik you will contend immediatly.
lin proved hes playoff ready and i guarantee you he will drop 18/9 on the unselfish mavs with great teamwork.
he would be the perfect leader for this team.
him and ellis would be unguardable pick your poison. then you have dirk waiting for open shots and Asik protecting the paint as well as marion defending the elite scorerss??:biggums: :biggums:
shit would be unfair.
on top of that a good bench.
mavs need to somehow get lin/ asik and then give them contracts they deserve after the season.
don nelson was always high on lin too:applause: :applause:

StephHamann
05-06-2014, 06:44 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=loourjh

:applause: :applause: :coleman:

blablabla
05-06-2014, 06:45 PM
they won't come to see him lose 50 games will they?
i honestly think it's more about the names, if they have kobe and nash healthy plus an exciting draft pick people will come

DMAVS41
05-06-2014, 06:45 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=loourjh

:applause: :applause: :coleman:

I honestly think the Mavs are giving up too much there for Chandler.

But I don't hate it...

longtime lurker
05-06-2014, 06:48 PM
To be fair Kobe has Jim Buss calling the shots

dubeta
05-06-2014, 06:54 PM
Kobe needs the money to pay off all the girls he r*ped

ArbitraryWater
05-06-2014, 07:31 PM

:roll:

Got in Howard/Nash/Gasol for Kobe... need more!!

Black and White
05-06-2014, 07:34 PM
:roll:

Got in Howard/Nash/Gasol for Kobe... need more!!

Meh, bailing on PJ was the dumbest move.

sammichoffate
05-06-2014, 08:08 PM
I honestly think the Mavs are giving up too much there for Chandler.

But I don't hate it...If Chandler was healthy, I would do it. Harris has proven in the past he can start and flourish. It does hurt their front court depth though, Dalembert had a great season imo.

NoGunzJustSkillz
05-06-2014, 08:10 PM
theyll make about the same after taxes.

DirkLegend41
05-07-2014, 12:41 AM
Dirk was saying that he wouldn't have the opportunity to sign a Kobe contract because the Mavs were not going to offer that to him. So what's the big deal? Why make a thread about his comments?

SexSymbol
05-07-2014, 12:47 AM
http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/05/dirk-nowitzkis-tank-was-empty-at-the-end-but-his-bank-account-will-be-just-fine.html/

Take notes CHUCKbe.
lol, he said UNFORTUNATELY. That means nobody is willing to offer the deal to him in the Mavs FO.

G-train
05-07-2014, 12:53 AM
I read over this thread and just SMH

Black and White
05-07-2014, 12:56 AM
Dirk was saying that he wouldn't have the opportunity to sign a Kobe contract because the Mavs were not going to offer that to him. So what's the big deal? Why make a thread about his comments?

Jameer just trolling as usual

SexSymbol
05-07-2014, 12:57 AM
Jameer just trolling as usual
His trolling got so much out of hand that now he posts the most out of everybody, and little to no value in his posts are left.
He's shit, that's not trolling, that's just being an idiot

Le Shaqtus
05-07-2014, 12:59 AM
These Gasol FMVP arguments :rolleyes:

Black and White
05-07-2014, 01:00 AM
His trolling got so much out of hand that now he posts the most out of everybody, and little to no value in his posts are left.
He's shit, that's not trolling, that's just being an idiot

Its sad, his word means nothing on here, he can't debate basketball, but ISH is all he has in his pathetic life, so he posts the most and has created alts to talk to himself with.

Relinquish
05-07-2014, 01:12 AM

stay mad, kid.

Don't forget rigged games :oldlol:

FlashDwyaneWade3
05-07-2014, 01:22 AM

I see why you have a bad rep with posts like this.

FlashDwyaneWade3
05-07-2014, 01:24 AM

stay mad, kid.
Pau is a future hall of famer? :wtf:

Black Mamba's B
05-07-2014, 01:36 AM

stay mad, kid.
Dirk has played on plenty of stacked teams. Much respect to Dirk, but didn't he lose to the 8th seed while he was the mvp of the league on a stacked number 1 seed??

Le Shaqtus
05-07-2014, 01:37 AM

Why not? Multiple all star appearances and two chips, I'd say he's a lock.

JT123
05-07-2014, 01:45 AM
LeBron is supposed to be "the greatest of all time" yet never won shit until he joined another Finals MVP winner and a third superstar in Bosh. Bosh put up better numbers as the man than Gasol ever did, yet he's LeBron's third option. Kobe won his rings with only one other HOF player (Shaq in the first three, Gasol in the last 2) by his side. LeBron needed 2, and 3 (Ray Allen) for his rings respectively.

Not to mention that he's winning in a soft-ass era where any tick-tack foul is an automatic trip to the line and LeBron just bowls over everyone.

On top of that he's had the BEST luck of any "GOAT candidate" as far as having an easy path paved for him with multiple all-stars on opposing teams that would've challenged him being injured during the playoffs.

And even with all of that he was STILL a Ray Allen legacy-saving miracle shot from having a 1-3 record in the finals and being known as a modern Wilt choker.
:facepalm Bosh will not be in the Hall of Fame. Guy is not a dominant player and everyone can see that. I don't give a damn what his stats were as "the man." Just about anyone can put up 20 ppg on a bad team. Someone on those teams has to score. :confusedshrug:

DMAVS41
05-07-2014, 01:49 AM
Dirk has played on plenty of stacked teams. Much respect to Dirk, but didn't he lose to the 8th seed while he was the mvp of the league on a stacked number 1 seed??

I don't really think the 07 Mavs constitute a stacked team, but it was a horrible series for Dirk and the Mavs...that's for sure

Kiddlovesnets
05-07-2014, 02:49 AM

Clearly he is.

ralph_i_el
05-07-2014, 08:27 AM
100%
so is Bosh

SexSymbol
05-07-2014, 08:42 AM
100%
so is Bosh
Actually, Gasol has about 67-70 percent chance

STATUTORY
05-07-2014, 09:46 AM
tough era to be a kobe stan

SCdac
05-07-2014, 09:55 AM
continuing what I was saying yesterday, I think now more than ever Dallas needs a Dwight Howard or a Carmelo Anthony type player to seriously contend (they were gunning hard for players like this the last 3 years, to the point of dismantling the '11 team). Mavs should be looking to win ASAP especially if Dirk is wiling to tay a 'paycut', he's turning 36 soon and not getting any more limber

gts
05-07-2014, 10:09 AM
http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/05/dirk-nowitzkis-tank-was-empty-at-the-end-but-his-bank-account-will-be-just-fine.html/

Take notes CHUCKbe.

Jameer once again proving he can't read... lol

ralph_i_el
05-07-2014, 10:12 AM
Actually, Gasol has about 67-70 percent chance
it's a basketball hall of fame. He's going to get credit for his international stuff. I'd put a lot of money on pau getting it

Doranku
05-07-2014, 10:23 AM
Pau will only make the HoF because of his International resume. Based on his level of play in the NBA, he shouldn't be in the Hall. But his International accolades will catapult him in.

NumberSix
05-07-2014, 10:26 AM
Leader. :applause:

creepingdeath
05-07-2014, 12:06 PM
continuing what I was saying yesterday, I think now more than ever Dallas needs a Dwight Howard or a Carmelo Anthony type player to seriously contend (they were gunning hard for players like this the last 3 years, to the point of dismantling the '11 team). Mavs should be looking to win ASAP especially if Dirk is wiling to tay a 'paycut', he's turning 36 soon and not getting any more limber
While I see what you are saying, which superstar level players are available? Carmelo Anthony and Lebron. The first wouldn't make this team a contender (and I'd hate for him to be in Dallas: horrible teammate, often a black hole, and wouldn't work well next to Dirk..) and the latter won't come to Dallas. I also strongly believe that it would be better for Dallas to get 1-2 good to very players (defensive-minded wing and a good center) and a specialist (shooter) instead.. which would result in basically the same cap situation.

Hoopz2332
05-07-2014, 12:07 PM
http://i.imgur.com/DuQLq6t.jpg

:eek:

Nash
05-07-2014, 12:13 PM
tyson chandler
dirk
melo
ellis
lowry

get it done cubes.
melo and monta on the same team, lord have mercy on them FGA.

DMAVS41
05-07-2014, 12:17 PM

Well, you just explained exactly why Cuban didn't bring back Chandler. He knew we needed a legit number 2 championship guy...and I know Mavs fans and I disagree about this, but I don't think Chandler is that guy. I don't think Tyson Chandler can be the clear cut 2nd best player on a title winning team.

We also had a core of aging vets...etc.

Of course we need a 2nd true superstar or all nba type player. That is what almost every single title team has. In 11 Terry played like one even though he isn't. Parker/Manu/Robinson all played like one outside of the 03 run. Shaq/Kobe, Duncan/Manu/Parker, Wade/Shaq, KG/Allen/Pierce, Kobe/Gasol, Lebron/Wade/Bosh...

Those are the teams that dominated the decade in terms of winning titles. And while Parker/Manu weren't as sexy as some of the names above...they were certainly all-nba caliber players (at least 1 of them) in 05 and 07.

So outside the 03 and 11 titles...it's been an era dominated by multi star teams.

So it's nothing new...it's the goal of every franchise to do what you say. Unfortunately, that ship has somewhat sailed. We had real chances at CP3 and Howard....and then a lot of crap went down. We lucked out that Deron didn't come...

This Mavs team needs to be built in the mode of the 04 and 05 Pistons...I don't mean a defensive power, but a team with a really great starting 5...

Something along the lines of;

Calderon (although I'm not against moving him)/Ellis/Deng/Dirk/Monroe or Asik or Gasol or Chandler....with Carter/Harris/Dalembert/Larkin/Wright/Crowder/Blair off the bench.

That team is way better than getting Carmelo in here at basically the same price of Deng and one of those centers combined.

So while I agree a 2nd real superstar would of course be the best, totally disagree with your Carmelo take. The only way Carmelo would work would be if you somehow got him and Chandler and got rid of Calderon/Wright in the process so we could go out and get 1 more player.

The Spurs are actually a good example of this. I actually think Dirk is a better player than Duncan is now, but that doesn't even really matter. The problem is that Parker is better than Ellis. Manu is better than anyone not named Ellis on the Mavs. Leonard is better than anyone not named Ellis on the Mavs. Splitter is way better than Dalembert or Blair....etc.

That is why I keep saying we aren't that far off. You get Deng/Asik or some combination of small forward and center and we could play a very "Spurs like" style without heavy minutes to a lot of starters and would go like a legit 10 deep in the regular season and that would really lessen burden on Dirk the way the Spurs have given Duncan less and less to do in the regular season. You could see it the last month or so in the regular season...Dirk started missing free throws because of tired legs. It's just too much to ask a player in year 16 to have the entire offense run through him and then pair him with an inept defensive frontcourt and weak center play. While Dirk wasn't a very good defender this year overall, he did have to work his ass off because of the deficiencies of our team. So that is what needs to be addressed...

Take a look at the huge difference here;

Spurs with Duncan on the court (29 minutes per game) +6.7
Spurs without Duncan on the court (19 minutes per game) +9.9

Mavs with Dirk on the court (33 minutes per game) +4.5
Mavs without Dirk on the court (15 minutes per game) -1.6

That is just too big of a difference in on/off. The Spurs are 11.5 points better per 100 possessions when Dirk and Duncan are off the court. That not only speaks to the Spurs just having a better bench and role players, but speaks to just better players overall. That is a huge difference over a full year sample size where variance lowers out.

That is what needs to be fixed. And brining in the guys Creepingdeath and I are talking about help that a lot more than Carmelo.

SCdac
05-07-2014, 12:25 PM
You're taking it too literally, I just meant they need a Carmelo or Dwight type of player. They are not just a few role players away from winning a championship IMO. Greg Monroe is a stud and going to get paid max or near max pretty soon, but Dirk will be even older by then. When Duncan and KG got older they still provided elite defense so making up for Dirk's lack of D is something have to keep in mind. Realistically, I think the Mavs are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Financially they probably don't have what it takes to sign a Carmelo or Dwight type player, or those players may not desire Dallas, but Cuban will do what he does and overhaul the team with role players and good players. I question their ceiling though, especially if they cannot become a top-10 defensive team.

DMAVS41
05-07-2014, 12:33 PM
You're taking it too literally, I just meant they need a Carmelo or Dwight type of player. They are not just a few role players away from winning a championship IMO. Greg Monroe is a stud and going to get paid max or near max pretty soon, but Dirk will be even older by then. When Duncan and KG got older they still provided elite defense so making up for Dirk's lack of D is something have to keep in mind. Realistically, I think the Mavs are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Financially they probably don't have what it takes to sign a Carmelo or Dwight type player, or those players may not desire Dallas, but Cuban will do what he does and overhaul the team with role players and good players. I question their ceiling though, especially if they cannot become a top-10 defensive team.

This just isn't true. You, as usual, under-rate Dirk...he's just a better player than Duncan was this year.

Again, take a look at the on/off numbers I posted. It's too much to ask of Dirk what the Mavs did all season.

You give Dirk his Leonard/Splitter combo that the Spurs have and we are as good as anyone in the league with this same core.

Also, Carmelo and Howard are two different "types" of players. Howard would be a perfect fit...while Melo would be a terrible fit.

Edit;

Also, Monroe will likely turn down his qualifying offer and I believe that makes him a restricted free agent. We definitely have enough room to offer him the max he's eligible for and I'm not sure if the Pistons would match given the state of their team being locked into Smith...and Drummond isn't going anywhere.

SCdac
05-07-2014, 12:44 PM
This just isn't true. You, as usual, under-rate Dirk...he's just a better player than Duncan was this year.

Again, take a look at the on/off numbers I posted. It's too much to ask of Dirk what the Mavs did all season.

You give Dirk his Leonard/Splitter combo that the Spurs have and we are as good as anyone in the league with this same core.

"Better player" doesn't always equate to "easier to build around" or "better on both sides of the court". Dirk is the better offensive player, but Duncan is clearly the better defensive player, still. Which is saying something.

If you ask me (which you are doing), Duncan is easier to build around because he's a two-way player and can score in the paint regularly. Dirk's offense is mostly jump shooting and he's so ineffective on D. Did you see when the Mavs when they moved Dirk to C and had Marion or Blair at PF for brief moments? They were sooo weak defensively.

On/off numbers have too many variables and factors to deduce that the Mavs are a role player or two away from a championship. All they show me is that the Spurs are deeper than the Mavs, which is totally true, but even the Spurs aren't favorites to win the title. I think emulating the Spurs only works if the Mavs can become an elite (top-10) defensive team. Can they financially and realistically do that? Who knows.

At this stage in the game, Dirk needs another star next to him (somebody better than Monta). Just like David Robinson needed. Just like Shaq needed. It's not an insult to him, it's just not every player maintains their prime at 35+ age.

brain drain
05-07-2014, 12:47 PM
Actually, I also can't see how the mavs should realistically get back into contention.

Calderon's going to be 33, Vince at 37 & Matrix at 35 are ancient, Dalembert is 33, Harris is fragile. Dirk's gonna be 36 in a few days.

Even with their cap space, I can't see them signing enough quality to offset the aging process AND improve to the point where they get anywhere in the ultra competitive western conference.

But I also don't think that's really their internal plan. IMO, they talk about improving while they actually are treading water, hoping for maybe two or three more seasons like the last, keeping the fans interested and coming before the inevitable downfall and rebuilding process begins.

To really go anywhere, they'd need a situation like the spurs, tank for a season, get a high draft pick and get a superstar. But that won't happen, so they milk the last Dirk years for all that's possible and that's it.

Which is actually a pity for Dirk, because I really would've liked seeing him compete for a few years. He should be on a team like Houston where he could make the difference, instead of desperately trying to keep a sinking ship afloat.

DMAVS41
05-07-2014, 12:49 PM
"Better player" doesn't always equate to "easier to build around" or "better on both sides of the court". Dirk is the better offensive player, but Duncan is clearly the better defensive player, still. Which is saying something.

If you ask me (which you are doing), Duncan is easier to build around because he's a two-way player and can score in the paint regularly. Dirk's offense is mostly jump shooting and he's so ineffective on D. Did you see when the Mavs when they moved Dirk to C and had Marion or Blair at PF for brief moments? They were sooo weak defensively.

On/off numbers have too many variables and factors to deduce that the Mavs are a role player or two away from a championship. All they show me is that the Spurs are deeper than the Mavs, which is totally true, but even the Spurs aren't favorites to win the title. I think emulating the Spurs only works if the Mavs can become an elite (top-10) defensive team. Can they financially and realistically do that? Who knows.

At this stage in the game, Dirk needs another star next to him (somebody better than Monta). Just like David Robinson needed. Just like Shaq needed. It's not an insult to him, it's just not every player maintains their prime at 35+ age.

Yea, I just don't see it...and I'm not asking you anything.

You talk about moving Dirk to center...that is the problem! We shouldn't have to move our 36 year old power forward to center because of flaws on our roster.

The Spurs are more than deeper than the Mavs...they just have better players.

Again;

Parker is better than Ellis
Manu is better than anyone not named Ellis on the team
Leonard is better than anyone not named Ellis on the team
Diaw/Splitter destroy Dalembert/Blair

The only place it is pretty even is is that Harris and Carter off the bench is really solid in my opinion.

So no, lol, it's not just depth...although the Spurs are deeper....actually, not so sure about that. Blair playing as well as he did really added depth to the Mavs. They just have better players...it's really not complicated. You really tthink here is a single person in the league that wouldn't jump to trade Calderon/Ellis/Marion/Dalembert for Parker/Manu/Leonard/Splitter? Really?

And you really seem to under-rate Dirk's value offensively. We had the 3rd best offense this year....again, with a sf and center that hurt that offense pretty considerably.

DMAVS41
05-07-2014, 12:52 PM
Actually, I also can't see how the mavs should realistically get back into contention.

Calderon's going to be 33, Vince at 37 & Matrix at 35 are ancient, Dalembert is 33, Harris is fragile. Dirk's gonna be 36 in a few days.

Even with their cap space, I can't see them signing enough quality to offset the aging process AND improve to the point where they get anywhere in the ultra competitive western conference.

But I also don't think that's really their internal plan. IMO, they talk about improving while they actually are treading water, hoping for maybe two or three more seasons like the last, keeping the fans interested and coming before the inevitable downfall and rebuilding process begins.

To really go anywhere, they'd need a situation like the spurs, tank for a season, get a high draft pick and get a superstar. But that won't happen, so they milk the last Dirk years for all that's possible and that's it.

Which is actually a pity for Dirk, because I really would've liked seeing him compete for a few years. He should be on a team like Houston where he could make the difference, instead of desperately trying to keep a sinking ship afloat.

Of the guys you listed...only Calderon/Dirk/Harris are for sure going to be back. Marion, if he is back, won't be our starter. And Dalembert, if he is back, won't be our starter.

If Cuban does his job, we will have a new starting small forward and center. And at least 1 additional bench player....and that isn't even counting Larkin playing a role next year as well.

This team could easily have 4 new rotation players next year counting Larkin.

SCdac
05-07-2014, 12:58 PM
And you really seem to under-rate Dirk's value offensively. We had the 3rd best offense this year....again, with a sf and center that hurt that offense pretty considerably.

It's not that I underrate him, he's still a good shooter albeit slower and older, it's that being a top-notch offense is no guarantee for anything. See: the 2014 Rockets

DMAVS41
05-07-2014, 01:03 PM
It's not that I underrate him, he's still a good shooter albeit slower and older, it's that being a top-notch offense is no guarantee for anything. See: the 2014 Rockets

For sure, that is why we badly need a Leonard/Splitter type combo at sf and c...

Again though...you seem to imply that the Spurs were only deeper not better.

So who is turning down this trade?

Parker/Manu/Leonard/Splitter for Calderon/Ellis/Marion/Dalembert...

If you go best vs best....

Parker better than Ellis
Manu better than Calderon
Leonard better than Marion
Splitter better than Dalembert

I just don't see it man.

SCdac
05-07-2014, 01:23 PM
Yes, the Spurs are better (Duncan's presence is all important, mind you, take him off and they're much worse). No I don't think adding a couple role players makes the Mavs the best team in the league next season. I've already said 5-6 times now what I think the Mavs need. Agree to disagree.

DMAVS41
05-07-2014, 01:28 PM
Yes, the Spurs are better (Duncan's presence is all important, mind you, take him off and they're much worse). No I don't think adding a couple role players makes the Mavs the best team in the league next season. I've already said 5-6 times now what I think the Mavs need. Agree to disagree.

LOL...take Dirk off and we are much worse. Actually way worse than if you took Duncan off the Spurs. That is pretty much just a fact given the numbers this year.

Who said best team? Total straw man as usual.

I say legit contender.

SCdac
05-07-2014, 01:32 PM
LOL...take Dirk off and we are much worse. Actually way worse than if you took Duncan off the Spurs. That is pretty much just a fact given the numbers this year.

Who said best team? Total straw man as usual.

I say legit contender.

With or without Dirk the Mavs sucked defensively. How will they compensate for that I wonder, as defense is a big deal. Cuban will try something I'm sure. Kawhi and Splitter were both 1st round draft pics, and take years to develop/get integrated, what is the Mavs draft situation like coming up?

BoutPractice
05-07-2014, 01:42 PM
The thing is, I'm always worried about this "let's get another real star alongside Dirk" strategy... the Mavs have tried to attract many of those in the past and always failed. How many times has a star free agent reportedly "considered" the Mavs only for absolutely nothing to come of it? They always ended up settling for the next best thing, declining former superstars or players thought of as just "good" from mediocrity treadmill teams like the Bucks.

Where they've been successful in the Cuban era is in identifying undervalued assets, players who objectively have the tools to produce but come with a bad reputation or unfortunate label like old, chucker/cancer, choker... and releasing their full potential.

Could Dallas get Hibbert on the cheap and redeem him, Mavs style? That would be very much in line with the kind of game they love to play.

DMAVS41
05-07-2014, 01:46 PM
With or without Dirk the Mavs sucked defensively. How will they compensate for that I wonder, as defense is a big deal. Cuban will try something I'm sure. Kawhi and Splitter were both 1st round draft pics, and take years to develop/get integrated, what is the Mavs draft situation like coming up?

We don't need draft picks dude.

Seriously...what are you talking about?

We have a ton of cap space and what me and Mavs fans are saying is this;

Our defense was really poor this season. We have an ability to seriously upgrade our sf and center positions. And add probably another quality defender as well with our cap space.

How will we address it? We hopefully will sign guys like Deng/Ariza or Gortat/Asik/Chandler...etc.

We arne't going to become a defensive power, but we definitely could be top 12 in the league with 3 added quality defensive players. And that is without making a move to shed Calderon as well.

SCdac
05-07-2014, 01:50 PM
The thing is, I'm always worried about this "let's get another real star alongside Dirk" strategy... the Mavs have tried to attract many of those in the past and always failed.
They always ended up settling for the next best thing, declining former superstars or players thought of as just "good" from mediocrity treadmill teams like the Bucks.

Where they've been successful in the Cuban era is in identifying undervalued assets, players who objectively have the tools to produce but come with a bad reputation or unfortunate label like old, chucker/cancer, choker... and releasing their full potential.

Could Dallas get Hibbert on the cheap and redeem him, Mavs style? That would be very much in line with the kind of game they love to play.

Bitch ass dwight howard :facepalm

it does feel like players use the mavs, and spurs, to drive up their stock and asking price..

Hibbert is hot trash. Not even sure he's better than current Dalembert

oh the horror
05-07-2014, 02:13 PM
Is anyone arguing that Kobe's contract wasn't awful?

Again I don't know how you claim to be about winning a ring but cripple the team financially and then go about commenting about wanting a competitive team. Where the fu*k does he think they find these players and how?

DetroitPistonFan
05-07-2014, 04:16 PM
http://i.imgur.com/DuQLq6t.jpg

:eek:
Nobody shot.

blablabla
05-07-2014, 04:36 PM

Again I don't know how you claim to be about winning a ring but cripple the team financially and then go about commenting about wanting a competitive team. Where the fu*k does he think they find these players and how?
If the cap is raised to the rumored 63 mil they can still sign 2 other Max Level players i don't see the problem

And i yes i don't consider Kobe's contract to be awful, the new CBA was set in place to prevent Superteams, like the Miami Heat, forming and spread the talent in the league. This as we have now experienced hasn't really worked out because players are pressured by the media and by the fans to take on less money than they actually deserve to prove how competitive they are. That is just plain wrong in my opinion, the Lakers are making ridiculous money of off Kobe he was 3rd in NBA jersey sales this year despite only appearing in 6 Games and now you want him, and now you people want him to take on less money so the billionaire owners of these franchises can earn even more.
Kobe has a net worth of around 220 million dollars, the 48 million he is going to earn over the next 2 years are literally 20% of his net worth he'd be insane to take less.

Straight_Ballin
05-07-2014, 05:07 PM
Typical Kobe not willing to take one for the team.

Dirk being a lead by example to all.

DirkLegend41
05-07-2014, 06:54 PM

Dirk is not leading by example. Didn't you read what he said?

DetroitPistonFan
05-08-2014, 05:30 PM
Some idiots didn't even bother reading what Dirk said. Dirk made it pretty clear he WISHES he could get 2/48.5 like Kobe got but simply knows the Mavs are NOT going to pay him that amount. The key word is his statement is "unfortunately". Even the big German wishes he could get paid like Kobe.

DavisWarriorsFan
05-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Some idiots didn't even bother reading what Dirk said. Dirk made it pretty clear he WISHES he could get 2/48.5 like Kobe got but simply knows the Mavs are NOT going to pay him that amount. The key word is his statement is "unfortunately". Even the big German wishes he could get paid like Kobe.
ISH posters don't read articles. They just look at the title of the thread

KingLeBronJames
05-09-2014, 12:15 AM
ISH posters don't read articles. They just look at the title of the thread
Like this guy...

DMAVS41
05-09-2014, 12:43 AM
Even if they offered it to him...Dirk would not take a 25 million dollar a year contract...LOL

He's been talking all year about getting a number that was fair and not a slap in the face, but also low enough to give the Mavs room to get better.

He tries to emulate Duncan as best he can as a franchise player...and he's going to see Duncan took roughly 10 a year...so I'm hoping that is what Dirk does.

DirkLegend41
05-09-2014, 12:45 AM
Even if they offered it to him...Dirk would not take a 25 million dollar a year contract...LOL

He's been talking all year about getting a number that was fair and not a slap in the face, but also low enough to give the Mavs room to get better.

He tries to emulate Duncan as best he can as a franchise player...and he's going to see Duncan took roughly 10 a year...so I'm hoping that is what Dirk does.
You think Dirk wouldn't take 25 mil if they offered him? He'd be dumb not to. :oldlol:

DMAVS41
05-09-2014, 12:50 AM
You think Dirk wouldn't take 25 mil if they offered him? He'd be dumb not to. :oldlol:

No, he turns down money all the time from sponsors and for commercials. If money mattered that much to him...he'd do all that shit.

He's open about how he feels about whoring yourself out to products all the time and building a "brand"...he's old school like Duncan and cares about the team first.

Obviously he's not going to play for free, but I really just don't think Dirk would rather have 25 million with no chance to win than 10 million with a far better chance.

oh the horror
05-09-2014, 01:05 AM
If the cap is raised to the rumored 63 mil they can still sign 2 other Max Level players i don't see the problem

And i yes i don't consider Kobe's contract to be awful, the new CBA was set in place to prevent Superteams, like the Miami Heat, forming and spread the talent in the league. This as we have now experienced hasn't really worked out because players are pressured by the media and by the fans to take on less money than they actually deserve to prove how competitive they are. That is just plain wrong in my opinion, the Lakers are making ridiculous money of off Kobe he was 3rd in NBA jersey sales this year despite only appearing in 6 Games and now you want him, and now you people want him to take on less money so the billionaire owners of these franchises can earn even more.
Kobe has a net worth of around 220 million dollars, the 48 million he is going to earn over the next 2 years are literally 20% of his net worth he'd be insane to take less.

Yeah I want a 36 year old off of an major Achilles tear and busted knee to take less money dude. So now we're offering power contracts soley off the revenue they generate? That's cool in theory but I guarantee you the lakers TEAM will suffer because of it.

Simple Jack
05-09-2014, 02:48 AM

Do you actually believe any of what you wrote?

Artillery
05-09-2014, 04:17 AM
:applause: this is why Dirk's awesome. One of the most selfless players in the league. Cuban's lucky to have a star like him.

Artillery
05-09-2014, 04:21 AM

Weirdest thing about the Kobe contract was that the Lakers were bidding against themselves. No one was going to offer Kobe that kind of deal. The contract is looking more and more like a lifetime achievement award from the Lakers front office to Kobe.