PDA

View Full Version : Stats on playoff fatigue; Miami Heat a lock to threepeat?

russwest0
05-07-2014, 02:25 AM
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/good-news-you-won-game-7-bad-news-youre-less-likely-to-win-round-2/

Some really good shit here. They even go in depth explaining how this is even true for first seeds to dispel the myth that the stats only show this data because worse teams get taken to 7 games.

http://espnfivethirtyeight.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/silver-feature-pacertoast-1.png

http://espnfivethirtyeight.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/silver-feature-pacerstoast-2.png

This shows that the Heat should be heavy favorites to win it all this year because they will have played significantly less games before the Finals than whoever comes out of the West.

Cocaine80s
05-07-2014, 02:46 AM
you dont need any stats. its pretty much guaranteed the heat are 3 peating. they look like they are on a whole other level right now. i finally realized that they really were coasting during the regular season

russwest0
05-07-2014, 02:52 AM
you dont need any stats. its pretty much guaranteed the heat are 3 peating. they look like they are on a whole other level right now. i finally realized that they really were coasting during the regular season

well the stats show why they would be on this level

in round 2 for example, disregarding the talent difference and accounting for fatigue alone, the Heat have a 75% chance to win round 2.

Im Still Ballin
05-07-2014, 02:56 AM

in round 2 for example, disregarding the talent difference and accounting for fatigue alone, the Heat have a 75% chance to win round 2.

But it's due to how good they are as a team and not how fatigued their opponents are. Greatness my friend, bask in the glory of Sir James and the boys.

5 rings fan
05-07-2014, 02:57 AM
Last year Spurs were the "win early cruise later" team
they choked hard though

sbw19
05-07-2014, 03:03 AM
finals format change will be critical. Assuming no major injuries happen, I don't think the Heat will be able to beat the Spurs if they lose game 1, simply because the Spurs aren't going to lose 4 out of 5 or lose gm 7 at home.

oarabbus
05-07-2014, 03:06 AM

I think it's better to say historically teams that sweep in 4 win in round 2 75% of the time. It's a slight distinction but there is one (the way you worded it is predictive), not large enough sample size to say the heat have a 75% chance to win.

In this particular case though, yeah I'm pretty sure the Heat are winning.

Sarcastic
05-07-2014, 03:12 AM
They're the heavy favorites, but it's not because they swept the first round.

oarabbus
05-07-2014, 03:15 AM
They're the heavy favorites, but it's not because they swept the first round.

Right, they swept the first round - because they're the heavy favorites. That's what I was getting at above too, we shouldn't mix up the cause and effect here.

russwest0
05-07-2014, 03:27 AM
Right, they swept the first round - because they're the heavy favorites. That's what I was getting at above too, we shouldn't mix up the cause and effect here.

they swept the first round because their opponent was the lolcats

oarabbus
05-07-2014, 03:32 AM
they swept the first round because their opponent was the lolcats

Yeah that too. We are both correct :oldlol:

Relinquish
05-07-2014, 03:50 AM
It helps that Wade is fully healthy, and he sat out a ton of games in the regular season, so their win total is not as surprisingly low as it may seem.

AintNoSunshine
05-07-2014, 03:59 AM
finals format change will be critical. Assuming no major injuries happen, I don't think the Heat will be able to beat the Spurs if they lose game 1, simply because the Spurs aren't going to lose 4 out of 5 or lose gm 7 at home.

I really don't understand why fans always analyse a series this way, if a team is good enough to reach the finals, they are good enough to win any given game on any given time in whichever arena.

russwest0
05-07-2014, 04:07 AM
I really don't understand why fans always analyse a series this way, if a team is good enough to reach the finals, they are good enough to win any given game on any given time in whichever arena.

OKC had homecourt in 2012 and lost with less home games than the Heat got.

It makes a difference.

russwest0
05-08-2014, 09:36 PM
welp, the stats continue to be proven right.

Heat coming off a sweep, Nets coming off 7 games, many people expect this to go 6 games but it could be less.

triangleoffense
05-08-2014, 09:39 PM
No team has made 4 straight finals since the Russell celtics.. but damn the heat are good defensively. If any team does it it will be a legendary defensive team like the heat are on the wing and perimeter..

russwest0
05-08-2014, 09:42 PM
No team has made 4 straight finals since the Russell celtics.. but damn the heat are good defensively. If any team does it it will be a legendary defensive team like the heat are on the wing and perimeter..

it helps a ton that they get a consistently easy path to the ECF. And this year even the ECF could be a walk in the park for them.

Plus they are stacked and efficient as **** on offense. A scary team, no doubt.

triangleoffense
05-08-2014, 09:43 PM
it helps a ton that they get a consistently easy path to the ECF. And this year even the ECF could be a walk in the park for them.

Plus they are stacked and efficient as **** on offense. A scary team, no doubt.
Yea it's pretty ridiculous, the spurs are a damn tough matchup for the heat though and if they beat them twice in a row they will have an arch-rival worthy of a legendary 3-peat team.

russwest0
05-08-2014, 09:47 PM
Even if the Pacers make it to the ECF it could be off of two 7 game series while the Heat could be coming off of 2 sweeps.

My Thunder have to go through arguably all of the other top 4 teams in the playoffs it they want to get to the chip.

meanwhile heat are breezing through scrubby teams. shit is ****ing insane.

J Shuttlesworth
05-08-2014, 10:43 PM
Does this account for the fatigue the heat have to go through to make four straight finals? 4 straight is a tough accomplishment regardless of how shitty the conference is this year. That's still a ton of minutes over 4 seasons, especially for LeBron