PDA

View Full Version : Can Blake Griffin Surpass TD?

aboss4real24
05-07-2014, 05:01 PM
Dont Think He'll Ever B as good as TD Defensively but offensively i think hes jus as gud as td(Prime) if nt a lil better alredy , with a chance to be better i mean way better

Once he gets a Consistent Deadly midrange jumper he will avg 24+ Easy

He can Hit Jumpers Now but he is streaky.

His post game is solid

And Athletically he's 2nd to none

Also hes jus as gud a passer if not better Passer Then TD

And rebounds at the same rate TD Does

But he needs to work on his d#, he should at least avg 2 or 3 Blocks a game
with his athleticsism n size , especially since he's nt a good post defender

So wat do U Guys think can he be better than TD?

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/926697/BLAKE-GRIFFIN-DOMINATION.gif

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/22/22f844d761915f28f4180e3b6aaf6d489ffc49d379b90ec92b 8f4c171b3be434.jpg

LONGTIME
05-07-2014, 05:04 PM
:roll: hell no.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-07-2014, 05:05 PM
He wont even surpass Pau Gasol when its all said and done:lol :lol

NumberSix
05-07-2014, 05:05 PM
You can't say "never", but ASSUMING that "TD" is Tim Duncan, Blake just simply isn't the player that Duncan is.

ThatCoolKid
05-07-2014, 05:06 PM

Blake is already better than Pau ever was. People seriously under rate him on this site.

aj1987
05-07-2014, 05:07 PM
BG is turning out to be a great player, but you're comparing him to Timmy? Please kill yourself.

r0drig0lac
05-07-2014, 05:08 PM
http://insidehoops.com/forum/images/smilies/roll.gif

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-07-2014, 05:11 PM
Blake is already better than Pau ever was. People seriously under rate him on this site.
True but not by much. Plus Pau is one of the most skilled bigs ever. Blake still relies heavily on his power and athleticism i dont see him aging nearly as well as Pau has. I mean in his 13th season riddled with injuries in a scrub Lakers team (with no consistent facilitator) he avged 17/10/3

catquickspider
05-07-2014, 05:14 PM
no because his post game needs to go from solid to top 3 of all time

his defense is not even average right now :lol

-Lebron23-
STFU about other men's manhood... you are typing in pink font for fcuk sake.

aboss4real24
looks like theres alot of spur fan and bg h8trs

aj1987
05-07-2014, 05:20 PM
looks like theres alot of spur fan and bg h8trs
How about them Knicks though? I heard that they got a beast down low in Andrea.

T_L_P
05-07-2014, 05:21 PM
Prime Duncan was a much better rebounder and defender, and a noticeably better passer and scorer.

24-year-old Duncan was making deep Playoff runs with Derek Anderson as his second option (and he got injured before the Western Conference Finals), going up against Shaq and Kobe, and routinely putting up 30/15s. 24-year-old Griffin, who isn't even the best player on his team, and who is being gifted baskets by the best pass first PG in the league, is putting up 23/6/4.

Peak Griffin (if he hasn't peaked already) is a 25/8/3 player with solid defense at best. He's the 1b on a championship team. :confusedshrug:

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Prime Duncan was a much better rebounder and defender, and a noticeably better passer and scorer.

24-year-old Duncan was making deep Playoff runs with Derek Anderson as his second option (and he got injured before the Western Conference Finals), going up against Shaq and Kobe, and routinely putting up 30/15s. 24-year-old Griffin, who isn't even the best player on his team, and who is being gifted baskets by the best pass first PG in the league, is putting up 23/6/4.

Peak Griffin (if he hasn't peaked already) is a 25/8/3 player with solid defense at best. He's the 1b on a championship team. :confusedshrug:
Prime Duncan wasnt a "noticeably better passer" :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm
He wasnt a better passer PERIOD:no:

T_L_P
05-07-2014, 05:25 PM
Prime Duncan wasnt a "noticeably better passer" :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm
He wasnt a better passer PERIOD:no:

Not sure if you're being serious? Duncan is up there with the best passing bigs of all time. His ability to find the open man from the double is almost unmatched.

Sure, Blake's passing looks nicer, but that doesn't mean it's better.

DFish24
05-07-2014, 05:25 PM
More of a Gasol/McHale level player than a Tim Duncan.

fpliii
05-07-2014, 05:28 PM
Defense is 1/2 the game dude, it's not a footnote. Timmy is one of the great defenders of our time, and all-time. Even if everything else was equal (which it's not, Duncan is miles better as a post isolation scorer), that'd give him an advantage.

That being said, BG is clearly a top 5 player this year. Looking forward to his continued development.

TheMagicMan
05-07-2014, 05:28 PM
Duncan at age 25 with Griffin's current cast would've won 2 championships already.

Legends66NBA7
05-07-2014, 05:29 PM
Blake is probably going to go down as the best player from his draft class, but he will never pass Duncan for a lot of things mentioned. And this is biggest one for me: He's averaging 19ppg and 6.3rpg... in the playoffs. If you don't perform at a high level in the playoffs and go under your regular season averages, you're not going to be in the discussion of Duncan's caliber.

We haven't even discussed the comparisons to Garnett, Barkley, Malone, Nowitzki, Hayes, Pettit, McHale, etc... Let's see Blake can even match up with them first.

buddha
05-07-2014, 05:33 PM
I have no idea how Blake isn't blocking fools left and right. I don't even see him try to block shots.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-07-2014, 05:35 PM
Not sure if you're being serious? Duncan is up there with the best passing bigs of all time. His ability to find the open man from the double is almost unmatched.

Sure, Blake's passing looks nicer, but that doesn't mean it's better.
No he isnt. Duncan is on the 2nd or 3rd tier of great passing big man with Shaq and Griffin.

Hes not on the 1st tier with KG, Webber, Walton, Sabonis etc etc. He not even the best passing big man on his team now that Diaw

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-07-2014, 05:36 PM
Defense is 1/2 the game dude, it's not a footnote. Timmy is one of the great defenders of our time, and all-time. Even if everything else was equal (which it's not, Duncan is miles better as a post isolation scorer), that'd give him an advantage.

That being said, BG is clearly a top 5 player this year. Looking forward to his continued development.
How Blake is clearly top 5:confusedshrug: :confusedshrug:

KD
CP3
Lebron
Lamarcus
Steph
:confusedshrug: :confusedshrug:

fpliii
05-07-2014, 05:38 PM

KD
CP3
Lebron
Lamarcus
Steph
CP3 missed 20 games (though I'd still put him in there), and I don't have LMA in my top 5.

reppy
05-07-2014, 05:39 PM
Griffin is probably the better fast break passer.

But I don't care about that from my big man. I want him to be able to pass out of the double team and hit cutters.

Lonely_Sandberg
05-07-2014, 05:40 PM
Dont Think He'll Ever B as good as TD Defensively but offensively i think hes jus as gud as td(Prime) if nt a lil better alredy , with a chance to be better i mean way better

http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3ba39DAgZ1qhuuvlo1_500.jpg

T_L_P
05-07-2014, 05:40 PM
Griffin is probably the better fast break passer.

But I don't care about that from my big man. I want him to be able to pass out of the double team and hit cutters.

Thankyou.

Here's what Jerry West thinks:

“He sees the court as well or better than a lot of guards. When I look at him I see nothing but greatness.”

--

Teams were weary to double Duncan because of his ability to find the open man. Can the same be said about Griffin? Not to mention, Duncan's outlet passing >

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-07-2014, 05:44 PM
CP3 missed 20 games (though I'd still put him in there), and I don't have LMA in my top 5.
How come:confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: Aldridge better defender (dont u like that) and has better halfcourt game that why he been much better in playoff

fpliii
05-07-2014, 05:47 PM
How come:confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: Aldridge better defender (dont u like that) and has better halfcourt game that why he been much better in playoff
idk

I'm a bit of a Portland hater.:pimp:

BlackVVaves
05-07-2014, 05:49 PM

His post game is solid

And rebounds at the same rate TD Does .....

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130824142713/ben10fanfiction/images/f/f0/Abandon_Thread.gif

Relinquish
05-07-2014, 05:49 PM

Aldridge is a pretty average to below average defender. That's not really saying much. :confusedshrug:

Marlo_Stanfield
05-07-2014, 05:55 PM
IF Blake keeps improving, gets at least a solid to good jumper and gets a more polished post game than peak Griffin could be just as good as peak Duncan.
i doubt it will happen but he improved a ton this season. like really much.
his prime wont be comparable to timmys, because while Duncan had a great peak that wasnt the most impressive about him. his long ass prime was so impressive. griffin wont have such a long time of dominance.

Marlo_Stanfield
05-07-2014, 05:56 PM

KD
CP3
Lebron
Lamarcus
Steph
steph???:biggums: :yaohappy: :yaohappy:

JimmyMcAdocious
05-07-2014, 05:59 PM
Blake is probably going to go down as the best player from his draft class

Hm? Who else in the conversation? Harden seems to be what he is (ie, I don't foresee him getting much better), and what is that is an already lesser player than Griffin. Griffin, imo, clearly has more room to improve as a basketball player. Look at the contrast in his jumper between the last two years. His handle and passing is noticeably improved and we haven't discussed the other side of the floor yet. Now the latter I'm not so sure he will ever reach his potential, but I'm confident he will improve more as a defender than Harden ever will.

Curry is interesting because he sort of has that Steve Nash game. It's there, you see it all, you know what he's great it, you know he lacks, and you don't think he will get too much better because of the physical limitations. Then Nash wins back-to-back MVPs. Then Curry averages 24/9 on godly percentages on a 50+ win team. I don't believe Curry can do that in the era of LeBron, Durant, and eventually Davis, but then you don't want to underestimate him either. I think he will always be right below that MVP-level, tho. 6-15, not 1-5.

No one else in the conversation. Lawson, Holiday, DeRozan, Gibson, Rubio, Teague? Nah.

Curious who you had in mind.

Oh yeah, Duncan is so underrated offensively.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-07-2014, 06:01 PM
steph???:biggums: :yaohappy: :yaohappy:
:biggums: :biggums:

Warriors series came down to 7. How the fck is Blake and CP better than Steph then? Deandre was prolly the 4th best player in the series:biggums: Doc>>>>>>>Mark Jackson:biggums:
how is Steph not top 5:biggums:

T_L_P
05-07-2014, 06:02 PM
Oh yeah, Duncan is so underrated offensively.

I have no doubt in my mind that he could have been a 30 PPG scorer if he went out to get stats. I mean, '01-'03 Duncan was pretty much a 30 PPG Playoff scorer. It's not only that though: it's his arsenal. His post game is the only truly impressive one I've seen since he was drafted; he could take big guys off the dribble, step out to mid, run the floor. Popovich called him a quarterback in shorts.

And even if he wasn't scoring, he was doing everything else. His worst scoring game in the '03 Playoffs was 11 pts (against the Suns). He shot 3 of 6, but he still had 23 rebounds, 6 assists and 3 blocks.

Kingwillball
05-07-2014, 06:03 PM

Already better than Pau who was never a top 5-7 player.

SCdac
05-07-2014, 06:05 PM
Anything is possible, but realistically, given Blake's trajectory, I don't see it. big Griffin fan though (minus his great acting skills). Actually saw the first time he and Duncan ever faced off, preseason game at the AT&T center following Blake missing an entire year of ball. He's a sick player, albeit it's mostly offense. Nonetheless...

Blake is going into his 5th season in 2014-2015.

By the end of Duncan's 6th season he already had:

MVP x 2
FMVP x 2
All-Star x 5
All-NBA x 6
All-Defense x 6
Rookie of the Year

in that span averaged:

23 ppg | 12 rpg (3 orpg) | 3 apg | 3 bpg | 17 FGA @ .51 FG% | 8 FTA @ .71% | 39 mpg | 450+ games

highest scoring games (98-03):

53 pts -- vs. the Mavs (Dirk, Nash, etc)
46 pts --- vs. Jazz (Malone, Stockton, etc)
42 pts --- vs. Kings (Webber, Peja, etc)
42 pts --- vs. Grizzlies (Shareef, Bibby, etc)

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-07-2014, 06:05 PM
Already better than Pau who was never a top 5-7 player.
Pau was a top 7 player in 2010:biggums: :biggums:

T_L_P
05-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Anything is possible, but realistically, given Blake's trajectory, I don't see it. big Griffin fan though (minus his great acting skills). Actually saw the first time he and Duncan ever faced off, preseason game at the AT&T center following Blake missing an entire year of ball. He's a sick player, albeit it's mostly offense. Nonetheless...

Blake is going into his 5th season in 2014-2015.

By the end of Duncan's 6th season he already had:

MVP x 2
FMVP x 2
All-Star x 5
All-NBA x 6
All-Defense x 6
Rookie of the Year

in that span averaged:

23 ppg | 12 rpg (3 orpg) | 3 apg | 3 bpg | 17 FGA @ .51 FG% | 8 FTA @ .71% | 39 mpg | 450+ games

highest scoring games (99-03):

53 pts -- vs. the Mavs (Dirk, Nash, etc)
46 pts --- vs. Jazz (Malone, Stockton, etc)
42 pts --- vs. Kings (Webber, Peja, etc)
42 pts --- vs. Grizzlies (Shareef, Bibby, etc)

Duncan established himself as the GOAT PF in just 6 years. :applause:

Marlo_Stanfield
05-07-2014, 06:07 PM
:biggums: :biggums:

Warriors series came down to 7. How the fck is Blake and CP better than Steph then? Deandre was prolly the 4th best player in the series:biggums: Doc>>>>>>>Mark Jackson:biggums:
how is Steph not top 5:biggums:
LeBron
Durant
Cp3
LMA
Blake
Playoff Dwight

are all easily better than Steph Curry.:biggums:
hell, we might throw Anthony Davis in there as well

Smoke117
05-07-2014, 07:02 PM
No.

Smoke117
05-07-2014, 07:03 PM
Duncan established himself as the GOAT PF in just 6 years. :applause:

After his first 6 years he was not greater than Karl Malone, sorry.

davehos
05-07-2014, 07:09 PM
Damn, kids these days have a short memory.

Let me put this simply ..

Blake ain't done shit except a weird ass Kia commercial or two.

T_L_P
05-07-2014, 07:15 PM
After his first 6 years he was not greater than Karl Malone, sorry.

2 titles, 2 MVPs, top 3 Playoff run.

Yeah, he was greater than Karl Malone.

aboss4real24
05-07-2014, 08:33 PM
BG will surpass him

book it

20Four
05-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Da fvck you know about manhood? Nikka you writing it pink text? :roll:

finchyyy
05-07-2014, 08:40 PM
Blake just doesn't have the defence that Duncan in he's prime, and even now, provides.

Derka
05-07-2014, 08:44 PM
Never say never. I like that Blake has managed to improve something with each offseason. If he keeps at it, he can get a lot better.

bukowski81
05-07-2014, 08:44 PM
Blake just doesn't have the defence that Duncan in he's prime, and even now, provides.

Nor the offense for that matter...

KobeClutchAsFK
05-07-2014, 08:46 PM
I feel like when Anthony Davis reaches his prime, Blake Griffin may not even be the best PF in the L anymore, let alone being better than TD.

aboss4real24
05-07-2014, 08:49 PM
Nor the offense for that matter...
hes better

toxicxr6
05-07-2014, 08:51 PM
No he isnt. Duncan is on the 2nd or 3rd tier of great passing big man with Shaq and Griffin.

Hes not on the 1st tier with KG, Webber, Walton, Sabonis etc etc. He not even the best passing big man on his team now that Diaw

I hope you are trolling
Duncan is one of the best passing bigs of all time

You realise in 2003 Duncan led the spurs in
Ppg
Rpg
Bpg
Fg%
Apg

He went through the entire season and playoffs averaging 5+ assists/game.. There are many point guards that don't even avergage that
You got no idea lol

D-FENS
05-07-2014, 08:53 PM
http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z438/rcworthington/sucks.gif

AND

Massive future neg reps, every time I can neg, will neg. All your ideas are now worthless.

D-FENS
05-07-2014, 08:53 PM
Da fvck you know about manhood? Nikka you writing it pink text? :roll:

Hey-yo!

josh99
05-07-2014, 08:54 PM
:facepalm Timmy D getting disrespected. Its amazing how quickly people forget (or more likely have never seen).

Micku
05-07-2014, 08:55 PM
More of a Gasol/McHale level player than a Tim Duncan.

Hm. Personally I don't think P.Gasol is on Mchale level in terms of scoring and defense. I don't think Gasol is a better player, but we never seen prime Mchale lead a team.

Anyway, I think Griffin is around Pau's or Amar'e level. I think he is arguably better than both of them in their prime this year tho. But if he doesn't improve his defense on TD's level, then he reach around the level on peak Barkley level of offense for me to consider him to be on the level of TD. I think it's very unlikely for BG to improve that much tho to be on KG, Barkley, KM or TD level.

TD has shown he could score as much Griffin or more. Maybe not as efficient or flashy, but TD provides you arguably GOAT PF defense. Plus he is a better rebounder than Griffin. TD could play center (been a center since 07).

Anthony Davis on the other hand has shown his defense could be DPOY caliber.

beastee
05-07-2014, 08:59 PM
I'm gonna keep this simple...:biggums: TD is a top 12 ever talent...this thread isnt worthy to make the first 5 pages.

bukowski81
05-07-2014, 09:00 PM
hes better

He is not, Duncan is better from midrange, better from the post, better at setting screens, better at finding the open man, better at prety much everything.

alexd
05-07-2014, 09:31 PM
He ll never get to Duncan s level.he will never be able to defend that way cause he s shorter and I m pretty sure he has a lower wingspan
his post game is really awkward at times.i think the only think he has over Duncan is the handles
imo if 1 player has the chance to reach Duncan s level is Davis.i m not saying that he will,but if someone has the Chance its him

Anaximandro1
05-07-2014, 10:00 PM
Hakeem is the only one who deserves comparison.

Spurs played at a glacial pace for a decade and raw numbers are susceptible to distortion based on pace. Fortunately we have H2H playoff battles and advanced stats.

You want to score ? No problem.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-NOj1UCjtcOc/U2riB5TLYTI/AAAAAAAAC0M/ArIJ5MtPalQ/s1600/1.jpg

You want to play D? No problem.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1K9WmU5A-xw/U2rqpIJOCHI/AAAAAAAAC0c/BdW9rCK8Cx4/s1600/3.jpg

aboss4real24
05-08-2014, 12:36 AM
Blake Took a huge hit tonight

if he wants to b better than TD

LONGTIME
05-08-2014, 12:39 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Marlo_Stanfield
05-08-2014, 12:45 AM
i have to change my mind.
blake griffin is the softest player ever and will never win SHIT. zero skill too

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-08-2014, 12:49 AM
LeBron
Durant
Cp3
LMA
Blake
Playoff Dwight

are all easily better than Steph Curry.:biggums:
hell, we might throw Anthony Davis in there as well
:biggums: :biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

bdreason
05-08-2014, 03:11 AM
Doubt it. He would have to win multiple titles averaging 30/10 type numbers.

dunksby
05-08-2014, 03:18 AM
No way you can make this comparison, yet anyway, TD is fundamentally sound and highly skilled. He is still much more effective in the post and can rebound the ball when he wants, I just don't see any similarities in their game though. I don't remember Duncan ever getting so many of his points off oops.

toxicxr6
05-08-2014, 03:44 AM
Doubt it. He would have to win multiple titles averaging 30/10 type numbers.
That wouldn't even be enough
Duncan's defense is light years ahead of griffins and to make up for that would probably need to average 35/15 while winning several rings

oarabbus
05-08-2014, 03:50 AM
Duncan > Karl Malone.

Let that sink in you fcuking retards guzzling BGs semen.

OP plz change name to ADumbass4Real

dunksby
05-08-2014, 04:17 AM
Duncan > Karl Malone.

Ether :oldlol:

dubeta
05-08-2014, 06:49 AM
LOL remember in 2010 when Blake was putting up 22/12 as a rookie people (Kobe stans) were making the case he would be better than Bran? :roll: :roll:

Lonely_Sandberg
05-08-2014, 06:53 AM
Duncan > Karl Malone.

http://www.abload.de/img/santiago4dkcvd.gif

shallehalle
05-08-2014, 07:32 AM
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130824142713/ben10fanfiction/images/f/f0/Abandon_Thread.gif
:roll: :roll: :roll:

dabigbaws
05-08-2014, 10:09 AM
:biggums: :biggums: :biggums: :biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

timmy is a better defender at age 38 then greffen will ever be

deja vu
05-08-2014, 01:15 PM
If Griffin suddenly becomes an all-defensive team type of player, then he has a chance to surpass Duncan.

sportjames23
05-08-2014, 01:21 PM

His post game is solid

And rebounds at the same rate TD Does

But he needs to work on his d#, he should at least avg 2 or 3 Blocks a game
with his athleticsism n size , especially since he's nt a good post defender

So wat do U Guys think can he be better than TD?

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/926697/BLAKE-GRIFFIN-DOMINATION.gif

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/22/22f844d761915f28f4180e3b6aaf6d489ffc49d379b90ec92b 8f4c171b3be434.jpg

That you even took the time to ask this question lets us know how stupid you are.

I like Griffin, but he'll NEVER be on Duncan's level, much less surpass him.

T_L_P
05-08-2014, 01:29 PM
If Griffin suddenly becomes an all-defensive team type of player, then he has a chance to surpass Duncan.

That wouldn't be nearly enough. All-Defensive type is Joakim Noah or Serge Ibaka. Duncan is up there with the all time great defenders.

There's no way Griffin improves his defense enough to compare to TD (on that end of the floor).

The only way he'll surpass him is if he becomes a 30 PPG scorer on 60% shooting, and that seems almost impossible.

rmt
05-08-2014, 02:20 PM
If he can jump so high, why doesn't he block more shots?

SCdac
05-08-2014, 02:24 PM
Duncan's clutchness >

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/128931_o.gif

T_L_P
05-08-2014, 02:27 PM
Duncan's clutchness >

I was crying with laughter when Tim hit that shot. The series was over from that point on.

LONGTIME
05-08-2014, 03:24 PM
If he can jump so high, why doesn't he block more shots?

T-Rex arms :confusedshrug:

aj1987
05-08-2014, 03:32 PM
Duncan's clutchness >

True. God damn! I hate hating on Timmy!

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2818167/duncanmiss.gif

aboss4real24
11-11-2014, 01:11 PM
after what iv been seeing from blake

I Think he will go on to be better than td

TD will go down as the better defender no doubt

IGOTGAME
11-11-2014, 01:14 PM

Griffin right now isnt as good as rookie Tim Duncan.

pastis
11-11-2014, 01:15 PM
dont be stupid.
Blake wont surpass TD in any way? You really think that Blake will be top5 all time at the end of his career? you really think that blake at age 38 will score double double consistently?

:facepalm

no excuses since 2 years for Griffing making at least WCF with this super stacked team.

mehyaM24
11-11-2014, 01:17 PM
i dont think so. griffin has great athleticism and strength. good finisher inside too. but his skillset does NOT translate as well into the postseason.

duncan may be a system player, but he is still one of THE best system players of all time. his impact actually carries weight.

anthony davis OTH will be better than both. he is a crossbreed between KG and duncan (skilled, versatile and not as system oriented like KG - good teammate and can play in a system like duncan)

Finger Roll
11-11-2014, 03:15 PM

thanks for explaining that TD will go down as the better defender, like it was up for debate.

Blake makes the ball stick way more than duncan when goes face up. No way he makes passes to slashers or spot up guys around the arc like timmy has his entire career.

T_L_P
11-11-2014, 03:30 PM
i dont think so. griffin has great athleticism and strength. good finisher inside too. but his skillset does NOT translate as well into the postseason.

duncan may be a system player, but he is still one of THE best system players of all time. his impact actually carries weight.

anthony davis OTH will be better than both. he is a crossbreed between KG and duncan (skilled, versatile and not as system oriented like KG - good teammate and can play in a system like duncan)

:oldlol:

T_L_P
11-11-2014, 03:31 PM
What annoys me most is Blake doesn't have a real identity.

He's added the jumper into his game...and now he's starting to drift out.

I don't know why 6-10+ players with as much skill as him and Garnett shy away from banging down low so much. And in Blake's case he can get the perfect entry pass every time.

Mr Exlax
11-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Nope. He could be come as skilled as TD, but the height advantage would keep him from ever surpassing him.

iznogood
11-11-2014, 04:13 PM
[QUOTE=T_L_P]Thankyou.

Here's what Jerry West thinks:

chazzy
11-11-2014, 04:14 PM
No way

Timmy D for MVP
11-11-2014, 04:24 PM
Nope. Even if he ever caught Tim offensively he simply does not have the defensive impact to be on the same level.

Jacks3
11-11-2014, 04:47 PM
lol @ Duncan being a better passer. Blake is probably the best and most dynamic play-making/creating/ball-handling PF ever alongside Barkley.

Genaro
11-11-2014, 04:54 PM
Blake might put up the numbers TD had (minus the blocks) if he focus more on the rebounds but I don't think he will ever be that good or have that much impact on the game as TD.

bizil
11-11-2014, 05:04 PM
The thing that separates Timmy from all the other PF's is the fact that he was basically an HOF center playing the PF position. He ruled the paint as well as the elite centers of ALL TIME!! Skillset wise, NO OTHER PF can claim that! It was like having guys like Hakeem, Walton, or Robinson move over from center to play PF as their primary position. And even to this day, I feel the most valuable player in basketball WOULD be a dominant alpha dog two way center. The lone exceptions are if u have perimeter guys that can do it all like MJ, Kobe, or Lebron. Or possibly a 7 foot marvel like KG at PF who could do anything on a basketball court. But history proves the most valuable or dominant players usually are alpha dog two way centers!!

So peak wise, I don't see Blake passing Timmy due to that. And GOAT wise, u gotta have mad rings to even get close to Timmy! But for guys who are true PF's and don't swing to center like Duncan, I think Blake has the potential to be in the top 5 ever peak wise.

ArbitraryWater
11-11-2014, 05:19 PM
OP is trolling y'all...

OP; where do you have Timmy all-time? Top 10, right?

rmt
11-11-2014, 05:20 PM
Blake is nowhere near Duncan defensively and offensively, imagine if Duncan had had a PG who could pass as well as Chris Paul or John Stockton his entire career.

Artillery
11-11-2014, 06:20 PM
lol @ Duncan being a better passer. Blake is probably the best and most dynamic play-making/creating/ball-handling PF ever alongside Barkley.

Duncan is a comparable passer. In his prime season(2003), he had a 19.5% assist percentage. Blake last season and this season is at 19.3%.

Artillery
11-11-2014, 06:24 PM
BTW, this thread is effing retarded. Their playing styles are so different that I wonder why anyone even made the comparison in the first place.

Duncan's a post big who brings tremendous value on defense. A very different player than Blake(whose value is mostly on the offense side of the ball). Prime Amare is a better comparison.

bizil
11-11-2014, 06:32 PM
BTW, this thread is effing retarded. Their playing styles are so different that I wonder why anyone even made the comparison in the first place.

Duncan's a post big who brings tremendous value on defense. A very different player than Blake(whose value is mostly on the offense side of the ball). Prime Amare is a better comparison.

I agree! People gotta realize that in many ways, Duncan should be compared to the great centers of all time. He has the size and two way dominance of an elite center. Timmy just also happened to be one of the most versatile 7 footers ever, so he could easily play PF too. Blake is more in line with freak athlete PF's like Amare, Kemp, and McDyess. Or highly skilled versatile PF's like Barkley, KG, Webber, Derrick Coleman, or Larry Johnson. In terms of PF's, Duncan is in his own category in my opinion. His primary position could be C just as easily as it could be PF.

T_L_P
11-11-2014, 06:38 PM
Duncan is a comparable passer. In his prime season(2003), he had a 19.5% assist percentage. Blake last season and this season is at 19.3%.

In the Playoffs he was at 26%.

He was the quarterback of that team. He was the only good passer in the starting lineup.

Artillery
11-11-2014, 06:43 PM
In the Playoffs he was at 26%.

He was the quarterback of that team. He was the only good passer in the starting lineup.

Yup, Parker was absolute garbage as a point guard back then. Don't think TP ever became good until 2007 at least.

mehyaM24
11-11-2014, 08:03 PM
Yup, Parker was absolute garbage as a point guard back then. Don't think TP ever became good until 2007 at least.
2007 at least? he was finals mvp in 2007. i do agree that his stats left a lot to be desired prior to that year - he still brought international experience like manu did though - and when the 2 formed with pop (and duncan) the rest was history.

i would say the spurs had their success with the twin towers prior to 2005, while manu and parker superseded the system post 2007. from 2005 - 2006, one could argue that it was a combination of things - but ive heard even THE BIGGEST duncan fans say that manu was arguably the spurs' best player in many series during the 2005 playoffs.

BigMacAttack
11-11-2014, 08:28 PM

Cali Syndicate
11-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Why not? He's bigger, faster stronger and far more athletic. I mean isn't that how everyone seems to disregard the skills and fundamentals of players in the 80's and 90's?

SouBeachTalents
11-11-2014, 08:54 PM
Can't wait for the can James Harden surpass Kobe thread next

Artillery
11-11-2014, 09:00 PM
2007 at least? he was finals mvp in 2007. i do agree that his stats left a lot to be desired prior to that year - he still brought international experience like manu did though - and when the 2 formed with pop (and duncan) the rest was history.

i would say the spurs had their success with the twin towers prior to 2005, while manu and parker superseded the system post 2007. from 2005 - 2006, one could argue that it was a combination of things - but ive heard even THE BIGGEST duncan fans say that manu was arguably the spurs' best player in many series during the 2005 playoffs.

Manu was legit - I don't think any rational Spur fan will argue that. Parker was trash for a good many years though. Not a great playmaker, inefficient scorer in the post-season. I didn't include 2007 because he wasn't even the 2nd best player on the team that year. Putting up numbers against Booby Gibson doesn't mean shit when he had mediocre series against the more relevant opponents in the Western Conference. Good playoff run but nothing amazing. Still waiting for Parker to have one complete playoff run. Duncan has a few(2003 being the most notable). Ginobili has 2005. Parker - nothing. 2013 was close but he choked hard in the Finals.

T_L_P
11-11-2014, 09:08 PM
Manu was legit - I don't think any rational Spur fan will argue that. Parker was trash for a good many years though. Not a great playmaker, inefficient scorer in the post-season. I didn't include 2007 because he wasn't even the 2nd best player on the team that year. Putting up numbers against Booby Gibson doesn't mean shit when he had mediocre series against the more relevant opponents in the Western Conference. Good playoff run but nothing amazing. Still waiting for Parker to have one complete playoff run. Duncan has a few(2003 being the most notable). Ginobili has 2005. Parker - nothing. 2013 was close but he choked hard in the Finals.

Yeah. Manu showed flashes in 2003 but didn't get the minutes. He was right there in 2004. He became a star in 2005. Parker didn't become one until at least 2007, like you said.

He was a shocking 2nd option in 02 and 03 (though he should have been a 3rd/4th option - the team just wasn't good enough). He was clearly not a top 2 Spur in 04; I personally thought Rasho, of all people, had more value than he did. Same story in 05. Absolutely shocking Finals (average GameScore of 5). Same story in 06. Pretty much the same story in 07 even though he improved.

Some people - the poster you responded to - would have you believe he was the best Spur in 07. It was clearly Timmy. What people don't remember is he wasn't even better than Manu that year.