PDA

View Full Version : There hasn't been a truly dominant DPOY since Dwight in 2010

Smoke117
05-10-2014, 06:18 PM
Hell...2012 at that. Even with his back injury Dwight still had the biggest defensive impact in the league. Dwight played 54 games yet still massively carried his team defensively. Who won 2012: Tyson Chandler (LOL), 2013 (Marc Gasol), 2014 (Joakim Noah). Not one of those guys was close to as dominate as Dwight during his run, not one of them was as close to as dominate as Ben Wallace during his run, and to a lesser extent they didn't even have as big as impact as Rasheed Wallace either. The last three DPOY are a ****ing joke.

RightToCensor
05-10-2014, 06:20 PM
5*'d. Will read again.

cos88
05-10-2014, 06:20 PM
true, lebron should have won last year.

Smook A.
05-10-2014, 06:23 PM
true, lebron should have won last year.
:lol

Please tell me you're joking.

Jameerthefear
05-10-2014, 06:23 PM
All 3 of those guys were exposed in the playoffs.

navy
05-10-2014, 06:25 PM
Tyson won because of his Knicks hype and Mavericks run.
Marc and Noah won because they were the anchors to the best defensive teams in the league.

Dwight was dominant because he literally was the defense.

navy
05-10-2014, 06:26 PM
All 3 of those guys were exposed in the playoffs.

Not true. Marc Gasol's defense was fine. :confusedshrug:

Knicks2014champ
05-10-2014, 06:30 PM
Op is a idiot did u forget about Kobe :lol

Jameerthefear
05-10-2014, 06:35 PM
Anyone who doesn't think Dwight is one of the best defenders of alltime is crazy. Even now after the injury, if I had to get a stop and had to pick a center on defense I'd pick Dwight over anyone. He makes plays that no other center is capable of making. Those 2 blocks vs. the Blazers in the playoffs were INSANE.

Micku
05-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Anyone who doesn't think Dwight is one of the best defenders of alltime is crazy. Even now after the injury, if I had to get a stop and had to pick a center on defense I'd pick Dwight over anyone. He makes plays that no other center is capable of making. Those 2 blocks vs. the Blazers in the playoffs were INSANE.

I assume you mean today centers and players, right?

But even with that said, Tim Duncan is still pretty good on the defensive end. Noah too tho he got killed by Nene.

navy
05-10-2014, 06:55 PM

He's declined since his back injury.

Akrazotile
05-10-2014, 07:06 PM

Thats true, he did lock down Kendrick Perkins

Smoke117
05-10-2014, 07:17 PM

I'm not sayijng Gasol, Chandler (LOL), or Noah weren't very good defensive players....but Dwight Howard literally CARRIED a bunch of defensive stiffs and made them one of the best defensive teams in the league. Tyson Chandler had absolutely no case for DPOY, so I'm not even going to get into him. Marc Gasol was the best defensive player on a GREAT DEFENSIVE TEAM...just like Joakim Noah this season. Thibs is one of the greatest defensive coaches in the league and the Bulls had a lot of good defensive players with Noah being the best. That doesn't make him dominant. Dwight Howard was putting the Magic in the the top 1-5 defensive teams while he played with defensive stiffs. He was absurdly dominant.

Rubio2Gasol
05-10-2014, 08:41 PM
Defense just isn't played at the level it once was.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-10-2014, 08:44 PM
That says more about the current crop of defensive centers. Dwight is far from a dominant defender in a historical vacuum

Jameerthefear
05-10-2014, 08:51 PM
That says more about the current crop of defensive centers. Dwight is far from a dominant defender in a historical vacuum
Not really. Prime Dwight is literally one of the best defenders of alltime.

buddha
05-10-2014, 09:54 PM
If Anthony Davis had a few good defensive players on his team he would easily win every year.

Harison
05-10-2014, 11:15 PM
Not really. Prime Dwight is literally one of the best defenders of alltime.

What are you talking about? :confusedshrug: Timmy has zero DPOY's and he was clearly better defender in his prime, what to speak of even better defenders than TD. Dwight is on 3rd tier among All-time defenders.

Combat Wombat
05-10-2014, 11:30 PM

IF you're including retired centers then you're a fcking idiot.

Ever heard of Hakeem Olajuwon? Bill Russell? Dikembe Mutombo? Tim Duncan? Ben Wallace?

Of course you haven't seeing as your first NBA experience was probably Kobe shitting on Dwight and the Magic in 09.

SCdac
05-10-2014, 11:33 PM
If anything, its good the award is starting to spread out. Noah is a dedicated and intense defender. Duncan should have won it over Gasol last season imo.

Jameerthefear
05-11-2014, 12:06 AM
What are you talking about? :confusedshrug: Timmy has zero DPOY's and he was clearly better defender in his prime, what to speak of even better defenders than TD. Dwight is on 3rd tier among All-time defenders.
Tim Duncan has literally never had the impact on defense a prime Dwight has had. Wtf are you talking about? "Clearly" better defense my ass.

Rocketswin2013
05-11-2014, 12:12 AM
3rd tier? Every All-time great defending bigman you can think of played with AT LEAST ONE All-NBA defense teammate...Dwight HAS NEVER.

The best defender he's ever had was a rookie Courtney Lee.

Jameerthefear
05-11-2014, 12:14 AM
3rd tier alltime defender that has won 3 DPOYs and did what no one in NBA history has ever done by winning 3 in a row... lol. you guys are on a nostalgia trip.

TheMagicMan
05-11-2014, 12:17 AM
Tim Duncan has literally never had the impact on defense a prime Dwight has had. Wtf are you talking about? "Clearly" better defense my ass.

:facepalm

Marchesk
05-11-2014, 12:37 AM
3rd tier alltime defender that has won 3 DPOYs and did what no one in NBA history has ever done by winning 3 in a row... lol. you guys are on a nostalgia trip.

The award didn't exist until 1969 - Russell's last season.

Whoops - 1982, I mixed up with all-defensive team. That's even worse.

Marchesk
05-11-2014, 12:40 AM
David Robinson has three in a row.

Interesting - Jordan only has one and Pippen none. Moncrief has two.

Micku
05-11-2014, 01:43 AM

Whaat? Hahaha. In what way? What proof do you have man?

I guess one way you could show proof is show their plus/minus on the floor. Compare Howard to Duncan. It's not end all to be all proof of defensive impact, but it's one of the ways.

And Dwight Howard highest plus/minus on the defensive end in the regular season is -6.8 in 2012. Duncan's highest plus/minus on the defensive end in the regular season is -9.2 in 2001. Just flat out better.

Granted, he had David Robinson and the rules changed a lot. But in 05 Duncan without Robinson had a plus/minus of -8.9.

And old man Duncan in 2012 had a plus/minus of -6.2 compared to Howard's -6.8.

Granted, it's not everything. It depends on your team's capability and the lineup that the coach puts out there. But if you are going to say that D.Howard had a better impact on defense than a prime T.Duncan, get proof to back up your claim. Besides DPOY of course because that's relative to competition at the time.