PDA

View Full Version : Pick 5 strongest ISHers, vs 4 weakest NBA players in a full court game...Who wins?

tgan3
05-11-2014, 10:30 PM
5 vs 4 handicap.

Do you think you stand a chance? What will the score be like?

Milbuck
05-11-2014, 10:36 PM
I'd probably be a 7-8x All-Star in the NBA if I decided to play basketball for a living. Probably a few MVPs and FMVPs sprinkled in there as well. Been busy with and college and shit, never had the time.

So basically we're looking at 1 superstar and 4 scrubs vs 4 scrubs. I'll take team ISH.

ISH #1.

Im so nba'd out
05-11-2014, 10:37 PM
I'd probably be a 7-8x All-Star in the NBA if I decided to play basketball for a living. Probably a few MVPs and FMVPs sprinkled in there as well. Been busy with and college and shit, never had the time.

So basically we're looking at 1 superstar and 4 scrubs vs 4 scrubs. I'll take team ISH.

ISH #1.
u try too hard to be funny :coleman:

Milbuck
05-11-2014, 10:38 PM
Who's joking? I can send you pics of me if you'd like.

AnaheimLakers24
05-11-2014, 10:46 PM
5'10" 145 l bs

i got center

Cocaine80s
05-11-2014, 10:47 PM
this

RightToCensor
05-11-2014, 10:48 PM
I'm pretty sure I am the only person on ISH playing an organized sport.

Black and White
05-11-2014, 10:50 PM
The NBA players would kill any and all ISH posters, da fuq is this shit?

Rake2204
05-11-2014, 10:56 PM
I'd say the best chance an Inside Hoops member has against the worst of the NBA is in a fluky game of one-on-one where one guy is incredibly cold while the other hits a couple miracle threes... in between the dozens of losses that member would take otherwise.

In the original post's hypothetical, I don't see any collection of players here ever standing a chance when playing 5-on-4 against NBA players. I'd assume any advantage one would think an additional player would create would be instantly mitigated by size, speed, length, and skill from the competition. So, while it's 5-on-4, with no advantage gained, it'd be quite similar to 5-on-5, which would mean it'd be an absolute slaughter.

fpliii
05-11-2014, 10:56 PM
The NBA players would kill any and all ISH posters, da fuq is this shit?
Possibly, but there are over 200k members here. With that many posters, you gotta imagine at least 5 are playing pro ball or high level college ball somewhere (I could be wrong, though). Take all of them against the worst 4 players in the NBA? :confusedshrug:

I could be terribly wrong, just throwing it out there.

Knicks2014champ
05-11-2014, 10:58 PM
I'm pretty sure I am the only person on ISH playing an organized sport.

moe94
05-11-2014, 10:59 PM
Possibly, but there are over 200k members here. With that many posters, you gotta imagine at least 5 are playing pro ball or high level college ball somewhere (I could be wrong, though). Take all of them against the worst 4 players in the NBA? :confusedshrug:

I could be terribly wrong, just throwing it out there.

What? Come on now. Stop being naive. :coleman:

SilkkTheShocker
05-11-2014, 11:00 PM
We were all good enough to start in the 60's

RightToCensor
05-11-2014, 11:02 PM
I don't play a pussified sport like soccer, tennis, or track. Football >>>>>>

Im Still Ballin
05-11-2014, 11:04 PM
I was a walk-on at Tokai University in the All Japan Intercollegiate Basketball Championship.

Played Small Forward and we won back to back championships. I am in the Tokai U hall of fame.

Those were the days... take me back.

fpliii
05-11-2014, 11:05 PM
What? Come on now. Stop being naive. :coleman:
I forget who, but I think there was some player on here who said he was in the DLeague and had played against some guys? If there are just four others like him, you put them against 4 the shittiest NBA players, maybe you have a chance.

Black and White
05-11-2014, 11:11 PM
I forget who, but I think there was some player on here who said he was in the DLeague and had played against some guys? If there are just four others like him, you put them against 4 the shittiest NBA players, maybe you have a chance.

Who do you reckon the 4 worst NBA players would be??? Because they obv are still good enough to make an NBA roster, that is a high level of talent still needed given that there are some players that are great overseas that come to the NBA and get cut quickly.

Rake2204
05-11-2014, 11:11 PM
I forget who, but I think there was some player on here who said he was in the DLeague and had played against some guys? If there are just four others like him, you put them against 4 the shittiest NBA players, maybe you have a chance.Maybe it'd help our imaginations if we could get a feel for who four of the worst NBA players may be.

fpliii
05-11-2014, 11:14 PM
Who do you reckon the 4 worst NBA players would be??? Because they obv are still good enough to make an NBA roster, that is a high level of talent still needed given that there are some players that are great overseas come to the NBA and get cut quickly.

Maybe it'd help our imaginations if we could get a feel for who four of the worst NBA players may be.
I'm not sure. I'd imagine they can't be bigs, because they could still look dominant. Two possibilities:

1) Aging vets (talking age 35+ with no business in the league).
2) Guys who split time between the NBA and DLeague/Europe.

Not sure who I'd go with, though.

JohnFreeman
05-11-2014, 11:14 PM
I am pretty much Ray Allen

Johnny Jones
05-11-2014, 11:18 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=334663

Marchesk
05-11-2014, 11:20 PM
I don't play a pussified sport like soccer, tennis, or track. Football >>>>>>

Try running middle distance. That shit hurts.

Milbuck
05-11-2014, 11:20 PM
You could very well make the case that the 4 worst NBA players aren't actually NBA-caliber players. Whether it's old age, sheer luck, or anything else, there's bound to be several players in the NBA who are not your typical NBA players. There's also bound to be players out there in the world who are better than some of the worst NBA players. We make fun of posters here often, but why couldn't some of those guys be on here? With 200k+ posters (if fpliii is right) on ISH, I'm positive there's at least 5 people who are legitimate basketball players. Players who have the size, athleticism, intelligence, etc to step on the court with college-caliber players and not look totally out of place. If we take 5 of those guys and put them against 4 fringe-professionals, it's not that inconceivable for them to win. Especially if 1-2 of them have size, and 2-3 of them can shoot lights out.

Rake2204
05-11-2014, 11:21 PM
I'm not sure. I'd imagine they can't be bigs, because they could still look dominant. Two possibilities:

1) Aging vets (talking age 35+ with no business in the league).
2) Guys who split time between the NBA and DLeague/Europe.

Not sure who I'd go with, though.It's tough for me to think of anyone who'd even kind of play into this scenario. Complex.com had a list of worst players of 2014, but they were guys like Elliot Williams, John Lucas III, Austin Rivers, and Anthony Bennett. I think the first question would be, could those four hold their own against a D-League team 5-on-4?

jstern
05-11-2014, 11:22 PM
Let me think. Out of the billions of people in the world, only around 360 are good enough to make it to the NBA. Out of those 360, you take out the 5 worst players and pit them against the best of insidehoops, which has a few thousand members. I assume. 4 NBA players, against 5 of the best on ish.

Im Still Ballin
05-11-2014, 11:22 PM
You could very well make the case that the 4 worst NBA players aren't actually NBA-caliber players. Whether it's old age, sheer luck, or anything else, there's bound to be several players in the NBA who are not your typical NBA players. There's also bound to be players out there in the world who are better than some of the worst NBA players. We make fun of posters here often, but why couldn't some of those guys be on here? With 200k+ posters (if fpliii is right) on ISH, I'm positive there's at least 5 people who are legitimate basketball players. Players who have the size, athleticism, intelligence, etc to step on the court with college-caliber players and not look totally out of place. If we take 5 of those guys and put them against 4 fringe-professionals, it's not that inconceivable for them to win. Especially if 1-2 of them have size, and 2-3 of them can shoot lights out.
Can. You. Back. Up. Any. Of. These. Claims.
???

fpliii
05-11-2014, 11:26 PM
This.

On the forum index:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php

at the bottom it says

"Threads: 277,582, Posts: 7,930,742, Members: 212,872, Active Members: 9,611"

Now I'm not sure what "Active Members" means. Online now? Users who can presently post? If that's all posters (and the rest are banned, lol) I'm less confident of ISH's chances.

It's tough for me to think of anyone who'd even kind of play into this scenario. Complex.com had a list of worst players of 2014, but they were guys like Elliot Williams, John Lucas III, Austin Rivers, and Anthony Bennett. I think the first question would be, could those four hold their own against a D-League team 5-on-4?
Good point. I think 5-on-4 is a huge disadvantage, since one guys is *always* open, and there will always be one extra defender. If they're on similar levels, it's a mismatch.

Let me think. Out of the billions of people in the world, only around 360 are good enough to make it to the NBA. Out of those 360, you take out the 5 worst players and pit them against the best of insidehoops, which has a few thousand members. I assume. 4 NBA players, against 5 of the best on ish.
If there really are 200k posters, I don't think it's a huge reach, especially considering the 5-on-4 thing.

Rake2204
05-11-2014, 11:26 PM
The name Paul Shirley kept coming to mind (though I know he's not active). He was an alright shooting 6'10'' big man who averaged 7.5 points per game for his career at Iowa State. He averaged barely over a point per game in three NBA seasons.

I think it'd have to be that type of player who makes up the four slots. And even then, that fellow's ability to run the floor and maintain his wind over the course of a full game would likely pose a giant problem for almost all of us, and that's before we even got to the skills and abilities gap.

Milbuck
05-11-2014, 11:29 PM
Can. You. Back. Up. Any. Of. These. Claims.
???
Of course I can't, am I supposed to know every single ISH poster to have ever lived? It's all conjecture.

Still, I find it incredibly hard to believe that ISH couldn't scrape together FIVE people from its thousands, who have the size, athleticism, and basketball intelligence/skill to hang with college level players with sufficient practice and training. Not hang as in take over games or play well, but at least show up and to some degree look like they belong. Not the elite prospects like Wiggins/Embiid obviously, but your typical college player that may or may not some day go pro. You could also argue that awful NBA players like Elliot Williams, Phil Pressey, Tyshawn Taylor, etc. as of right now are only marginally better than a D-League or good college player. That marginal difference might not be enough to overcome 1 extra person for the opposition, especially if the ISH team has knock down shooters who can make them pay every single time.

Johnny Jones
05-11-2014, 11:29 PM
It's tough for me to think of anyone who'd even kind of play into this scenario. Complex.com had a list of worst players of 2014, but they were guys like Elliot Williams, John Lucas III, Austin Rivers, and Anthony Bennett. I think the first question would be, could those four hold their own against a D-League team 5-on-4?
There is no way those are the worst 4 players in the league. There's probably some players who have never got minutes that are worse than them.

Rake2204
05-11-2014, 11:31 PM
There is no way those are the worst 4 players in the league. There's probably some players who have never got minutes that are worse than them.I agree.

RightToCensor
05-11-2014, 11:39 PM
Chris Smith, OJ Mayo, Steve Novak, Jason Collins

Threethrows
05-12-2014, 02:33 AM
So

James Haren
LeChoke
Dubeta
Roy "Trash Can" Hibbert.

vs. ISH?

My money is on ISH all day.

oarabbus
05-12-2014, 02:35 AM
A good question to ask yourself is can 5 very good DI players beat 4 of the worst NBA players?

I think yes. Playing 4v5 is a massive disadvantage, they will always have one man open and one of your guys will ALWAYS be doubled