PDA

View Full Version : Rick Carlisle vs Doc Rivers

Purch
05-12-2014, 10:02 AM
Who you got?

Real14
05-12-2014, 10:10 AM
Doc Rivers only if he was coaching tha knicks.

-Lebron23-
05-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Rick Carlisle unless you are giving me a stacked team and my coach's main task is just to manage their personalities.

SilkkTheShocker
05-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Carlisle won a title with Dirk and mostly role players

Real14
05-12-2014, 10:14 AM
Carlisle won a title with Dirk and mostly role players
yep:applause: role playerz dat whupped your man's ass:lol

Xiao Yao You
05-12-2014, 10:14 AM
Carlisle

MavsSuperFan
05-12-2014, 10:42 AM
carlisle is the better x's and o's coach imo.

I have heard Doc's players display a huge amount of support for him though, so I would imagine he is inspirational

Milbuck
05-12-2014, 10:53 AM
Rick Carlisle unless you are giving me a stacked team and my coach's main task is just to manage their personalities.
This.

Doc is the better motivator and emotional leader, Carlisle is the more technically advanced coach. They both squeeze that extra impact from each individual on the roster, similar to Pop. Carlisle does it through his elite understanding of the game and x's and o's, Doc through his leadership and ability to fire up his team. I think Carlisle's method is more suited to less talented rosters which need a lot of structure, an organized system, etc., while Doc is suited towards talented rosters that need the correct mentality, motivation, intensity, etc. to get to the next level.

Honestly, I'd probably take Carlisle over Doc. IMO he's the most underrated coach in the league. Give him this Clippers roster and I think he wins it all. Hell, give the current Mavs who took the Spurs to 7 a good defensive big, say Asik, and I think they have a serious shot of coming out of the West.

Purch
05-12-2014, 11:47 AM
I didn't expect most people to have the sme opinion as me :biggums:

ArbitraryWater
05-12-2014, 11:50 AM
Probably Rick... Guy is amazing. He actually, once again, outcoached Pop...

I had Spurs on my TL admitting that Rick was a difference maker last series, he figured Pop out.

steve
05-12-2014, 12:02 PM
This.

Doc is the better motivator and emotional leader, Carlisle is the more technically advanced coach. They both squeeze that extra impact from each individual on the roster, similar to Pop. Carlisle does it through his elite understanding of the game and x's and o's, Doc through his leadership and ability to fire up his team. I think Carlisle's method is more suited to less talented rosters which need a lot of structure, an organized system, etc., while Doc is suited towards talented rosters that need the correct mentality, motivation, intensity, etc. to get to the next level.

Honestly, I'd probably take Carlisle over Doc. IMO he's the most underrated coach in the league. Give him this Clippers roster and I think he wins it all. Hell, give the current Mavs who took the Spurs to 7 a good defensive big, say Asik, and I think they have a serious shot of coming out of the West.

I like Doc and I think he's an underrated game coach, he certainly gets a lot out of his rosters consistently (game 4, as desperate as it might have been, showed just how good he can be at in game adjustments).

That said, Carlisle is a mad scientist of a coach. The one thing I like about him more than any coach in the league right now (I think there are a number that can match him for Xs and Os) is he's never afraid to play line-ups just because they might seem a little oddball. And he does this before he's absolutely forced, which is where most coaches end up using such line-ups. Whatever he thinks are his best 5 players for a given situation he will not hesitate to play that line-up, which is noticeably rare among NBA coaches. I'd love to see him with a relatively unique roster like the Thunder because he'd have no problem playing a line-up like Ibaka, Jones, Durant, Jackson, and Westbrook together or hell, just give a lot of minutes to Ibaka and Collison together. It would just be fun to see him coach a really talented roster but an orthodox one in terms of actual construction.

Bigsmoke
05-12-2014, 01:15 PM
Doc Rivers.

I gotta keep it chitown

SilkkTheShocker
05-12-2014, 01:18 PM
Doc Rivers.

I gotta keep it chitown

Way to keep it fresh, home slice. Ya dig

Marlo_Stanfield
05-12-2014, 01:24 PM
rick GOATisle

redhonda76
05-12-2014, 03:17 PM
I would choose Rick Carlisle. Rick was also responsible for setting up the defensive foundation for the Detroit Piston before he got replaced by Larry Brown in that year which they won the Championship.

When Doc won the champion with the Celtics, he got Tom Thibodeau as his assistant coach.

JohnMax
05-12-2014, 03:38 PM
I didn't know how good Rivers was until this year. I saw the effect he had on Jordan and Griffin.

JellyBean
05-12-2014, 05:20 PM
I got the DOC.

LakersFan626
05-12-2014, 06:49 PM
Equal. Rick may have made a bad Detroit team an instant contender the next season, won a ring with Dirk and role players (all of them were offensive threats and Marion and Stevenson were very good wing defenders that slowed down LeBron), took last year's OJ Mayo special to a .500 record, and took a team with Monta Ellis as the second best player to the playoffs and almost beating the Spurs, but Doc's a lot like Phil in that he's excellent at managing egos and getting everything out of his players (Blake and DeAndre have done way more than dunking this year), and he almost took a team with Darrell Armstrong as the best player to the playoffs in his first year coaching. He also kept the Celtics in the playoff mix when they got older and even after Allen left. Both coaches have some equally impressive feats.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-12-2014, 06:59 PM
This is Carlisle and it aint close
did u watch the Spurs/Mavs series? They took em to 7 with a past prime Dirk and a bunch of scrubs. Carlisle is a top 3 coach easy w/ Pop and Thibs and shouldve won COY. Rivers is overrated

JimmyMcAdocious
05-12-2014, 07:06 PM
If I want a black coach, probably Doc.

Everything else I take Carlisle

RoseCity07
05-12-2014, 07:07 PM
Easy. Carlisle.

Micku
05-12-2014, 07:10 PM
This.

I like this. Also, I think Doc is one of the best at drawing the last play. Carlisle is great x's and o's coach. I heard he's great at preparation. I heard of a interview that when he was a assistant coach with the Pacers while Larry Bird was the HC, he was great at discussing the offense and defense.

Doc is more of a players coach. He'll handle egos and isn't afraid try experiments either. I forgot what year it was, but Doc made a change in the lineup with the Celtics. He started KG at center in the East halfway through the season to create mismatches, and it worked.

Black and White
05-12-2014, 07:14 PM
Doc is a great people motivator, it depends on the team you give them, Carlisle is great at making the most of what he has, his defensive sets against Miami in 2011 were great,

I'm going to go with Rick, this coming from a Celtics fan.

RoundMoundOfReb
05-12-2014, 07:23 PM
Doc Rivers.

I gotta keep it chitown
In that case you better murder somebody randomly.

Purch
05-12-2014, 08:52 PM
The Phil-Doc comparison when it comes to motivating and managing egos is interesting

sammichoffate
05-12-2014, 08:57 PM
Can't go wrong with either one, i'd pick Carlisle though because he's more basketball-oriented in terms of X's and O's. Dude's just a hell of a coach, Mavs are extremely lucky to have him.

shortsoptional
05-12-2014, 09:03 PM
I would choose Rick Carlisle. Rick was also responsible for setting up the defensive foundation for the Detroit Piston before he got replaced by Larry Brown in that year which they won the Championship.

When Doc won the champion with the Celtics, he got Tom Thibodeau as his assistant coach.

I obviously like Rick, but if you give Doc's assistant credit for his championship run, Rick had Dwayne Casey and Terry Stotts on his in 2011. Casey defensively was for Carlisle what Thibodeau was for Doc.

TheBigVeto
05-13-2014, 02:27 AM
Rick is the GOAT coach not named Auerbach or Popovich.

Doc is damn good but he's no Rick Carlisle.

DMAVS41
05-13-2014, 02:32 AM
Rivers is actually a bit better at in game adjustments and certainly better at manufacturing buckets out of timeouts....

But Carlisle has this uncanny ability to come up with ways to force the opponent into doing exactly what he wants them to...and he does get a lot out of what he has to work with.

I'd take Carlisle, but it's very very close for me.