PDA

View Full Version : NBA Responds To Shelly Sterling

Sarcastic
05-12-2014, 11:41 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnZoNoLCAAAwadk.jpg

There you have it folks. Her ownership will be terminated as well.

SpecialQue
05-12-2014, 11:43 AM
"but but what if..."

-- some racist on ISH

tmacattack33
05-12-2014, 11:44 AM
Somebody post the Vince Carter It's over gif.

tontoz
05-12-2014, 11:45 AM
Translation.... F U Biatch

The Iron Sheik
05-12-2014, 11:45 AM
wasn't she the one going to people's houses posing as a government official and documenting their ethnicity? why wasn't she banned instead?

SpecialQue
05-12-2014, 11:46 AM
wasn't she the one going to people's houses posing as a government official and documenting their ethnicity?

That shit sounds like a Naughty America series.

Derka
05-12-2014, 11:47 AM
This should be surprising to no one, but people are still gonna argue.

The Iron Sheik
05-12-2014, 11:49 AM
That shit sounds like a Naughty America series.

bomani jones likened it to henry ford. i think that was a pretty apt comparison as well.

crisoner
05-12-2014, 11:51 AM
She is an idoit to think the players would be OK with her owning the team.
She can scream it is unfair and to an extent I see her point.
But come on....blame your idoit husband that you have been associated with for years. You stood by him with all the racist crap he said and did in the past as well which doesn't reflect on you to good.

Be humble....let the franchise you guys made the laughing stock of the NBA for about 30 years go...and all will be well.

You still have your millions...invest in to like minded people such as yourself...Nascar or Fox News.

Real Men Wear Green
05-12-2014, 11:55 AM
Getting outraged over this alleged injustice to Sterling is stupid. His sympathizers are basically a bunch of closet (or not-so-closet) racist that are upset over the fact society does not respect their views. Does he deserve to lose the team for being a racist? Maybe not. Did he ever deserve to own a team? Definitely not. He's an asshole whose numerous transgressions have been listed ad nauseum. He finally got busted in a way where he can't get out of it. And he'll still be a free man with billions. Move on.

Im Still Ballin
05-12-2014, 11:57 AM
Who would win in a fight.

Donald or Hugh Hefner?

Meticode
05-12-2014, 11:58 AM
Somebody post the Vince Carter It's over gif.
http://cdn.niketalk.com/c/cc/ccbdfd06_tumblr_lyd8kgAjMn1qma1obo1_250.gif

IGOTGAME
05-12-2014, 12:00 PM
Getting outraged over this alleged injustice to Sterling is stupid. His sympathizers are basically a bunch of closet (or not-so-closet) racist that are upset over the fact society does not respect their views. Does he deserve to lose the team for being a racist? Maybe not. Did he ever deserve to own a team? Definitely not. He's an asshole whose numerous transgressions have been listed ad nauseum. He finally got busted in a way where he can't get out of it. And he'll still be a free man with billions. Move on.

I don't think he should lose his team over this because it sets a poor precedent. Also, if anything, this was the least offensive of all the offensive things he has done. You had someone baiting an old man to say racist stuff in a private conversation and the best she could get was don't flaunt it in front of my rich white friends...that is it.

And the most annoying thing that has come out of this is the latte sipping liberals jumping on Sterling like this is new or like it is a unheard of travesty. This is how the world works the higher up you get, putting Sterling head on a stake and pressuring the NBA isn't the answer.

I hope some journalist goes around bugging his co-workers and screws everyone of them.

Real Men Wear Green
05-12-2014, 12:10 PM
I don't think he should lose his team over this...seems like a hatchet job and it sets a poor precedent. If anything this was the least offensive of all the offensive things I've heard him say. You had someone baiting an old man to say racist stuff in a private conversation and the best she could get was don't flaunt it in front of my rich white friends...that is it.
If this recording was the only evidence of Sterling being a jerk I would agree with you but there have been a variety of law suits including racial discrimination and sexual harassment. This isn't him just slipping up one time, he has a history.

And I don't see how this is a bad precedent. Nothing wrong with the NBA getting rid of a guy that has become a social pariah. The negativity that Sterling has engendered has cost the Clippers sponsors and would eventually cost the league some money overall if they didn't contain the issue. Very few owners have been caught crossing the lines Sterling has crossed, this is an extremely rare action. Just analyzing it practically and not looking at the morality of it, do you think the owners would support Silver's actions if they truly believed they were potential future victims of these rules?

Milbuck
05-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Or attention-craving contrarians like Silk. Either way, agreed on all points.

davehos
05-12-2014, 12:19 PM
What about you chauvinist assholes that don't want to see a woman owner?

This is 'Merica and I have a right to be offended.

She should start making out with a woman to flip the switch. Against women and lesbians ... think of the outrage.

IGOTGAME
05-12-2014, 12:19 PM
If this recording was the only evidence of Sterling being a jerk I would agree with you but there have been a variety of law suits including racial discrimination and sexual harassment. This isn't him just slipping up one time, he has a history.

And I don't see how this is a bad precedent. Nothing wrong with the NBA getting rid of a guy that has become a social pariah. The negativity that Sterling has engendered has cost the Clippers sponsors and would eventually cost the league some money overall if they didn't contain the issue. Very few owners have been caught crossing the lines Sterling has crossed, this is an extremely rare action. Just analyzing it practically and not looking at the morality of it, do you think the owners would support Silver's actions if they truly believed they were potential future victims of these rules?

NBA stated that his history was not taken considered. The stated rationale, which forms precedent, was solely based upon this transgression.

If this was put coached as a pure business decision then I would feel slightly better about it, but it has this tinge of morality to it that is sickening to me.

Initially, many had there issues with it...but the media is coming down so hard on anything that is kill-Sterling that they are being pressured into it.

Real Men Wear Green
05-12-2014, 12:29 PM
NBA stated that his history was not taken considered. The stated rationale, which forms precedent, was solely based upon this transgression. They can say that it was all about this one incident. I personally don't believe it. They know what he's done, at this point everyone knows what he's done, and most of us have had enough. Regardless if you are seriously concerned about NBA owners in the future losing their teams for being outed as bigots I'd say that you're focused on an extremely rare issue.

If this was put coached as a pure business decision then I would feel slightly better about it, but it has this tinge of morality to it that is sickening to me.That sounds like a personal problem. For myself, an issue that I find "sickening" would have to be something like the Marathon bombing or the kidnapped school girls in Nigeria. This just doesn't approach that. A jerk is losing his basketball team. But will still be a billionaire. This just doesn't seem like something to be upset over. Maybe if he was being taken to prison, that would be excessive. Though to be honest, this being Sterling, my objection would be about the principle, could care less about the person.

Initially, many had there issues with it...but the media is coming down so hard on anything that is kill-Sterling that they are being pressured into it.Life is hard.

Le Shaqtus
05-12-2014, 12:32 PM
Inb4 NumberSix controversy

IGOTGAME
05-12-2014, 12:40 PM
They can say that it was all about this one incident. I personally don't believe it. They know what he's done, at this point everyone knows what he's done, and most of us have had enough. Regardless if you are seriously concerned about NBA owners in the future losing their teams for being outed as bigots I'd say that you're focused on an extremely rare issue.

That sounds like a personal problem. For myself, an issue that I find "sickening" would have to be something like the Marathon bombing or the kidnapped school girls in Nigeria. This just doesn't approach that. A jerk is losing his basketball team. But will still be a billionaire. This just doesn't seem like something to be upset over. Maybe if he was being taken to prison, that would be excessive. Though to be honest, this being Sterling, my objection would be about the principle, could care less about the person.

Life is hard.

1. whether or not this is pretext is immaterial. For the purposes of precedent, all that matters is the stated reasons. This is a fact.

2. Yes, I find it sickening that our society has gotten to the point where faux outrage runs it. Our morality is nothing more than a reflection of the current news cycle. Yes, that is sickening. You could have told the exact same people about Sterling and his racist past and no one would have cared, but this relatively tame(in comparison to this past transgressions) tape comes out and everyone is outraged. Its not that the issue is rare, it is what it says about us as a society. We already knew this, but the reminder is sad, exactly why I can't even watch/read mainstream news.

3. Life as hard...you are correct, doesn't change anything about what I've said.

Droid101
05-12-2014, 12:45 PM
When are russwest/silk/Numb6/some other idiot going to come in here and get all "concerned" for the billionaires?

Real Men Wear Green
05-12-2014, 12:51 PM
1. whether or not this is pretext is immaterial. For the purposes of precedent, all that matters is the stated reasons. This is a fact.You can feel that way but the most important fact here is that this is something that the NBA has only done this one time and We may not see happen again for decades. Sterling is being punished as harshly as he is because of the pressure being put upon the league by it's own players, media coverage, sponsors, and fans. And one of the big things being brought up is his history with many people asking why it's taken so long for anything to happen.

2. Yes, I find it sickening that our society has gotten to the point where faux outrage runs it. Our morality is nothing more than a reflection of the current news cycle. Yes, that is sickening. You could have told the exact same people about Sterling and his racist past and no one would have cared, but this relatively tame(in comparison to this past transgressions) tape comes out and everyone is outraged. Its not that the issue is rare, it is what it says about us as a society. We already knew this, but the reminder is sad, exactly why I can't even watch/read mainstream news.This outrage is not fake. For starters, the vast majority of black people that hear about Sterlings comments and his history are offended. And seeing as the league is 80% (or something) black? This is an issue. If you don't understand that the players are angry and that an entire segment of our population is angry I don't know what to tell you. And from there, there plenty of people from other races that also dislike what he has done and said. Your inability to sympathize with the sympathizers is a little more understandable but overall I feel like I'm explaining things that don't need to be explained.

3. Life as hard...you are correct, doesn't change anything about what I've said.It was my way of cluing you into the fact that what you're saying isn't all that important...

swagga
05-12-2014, 01:00 PM
with no regard for human life :lol

gts
05-12-2014, 01:01 PM
Who would win in a fight.

Donald or Hugh Hefner?

Depends on whose pacemaker has the fresher batteries

gts
05-12-2014, 01:04 PM
NBA stated that his history was not taken considered. The stated rationale, which forms precedent, was solely based upon this transgression.

The NBA said past transgressions didn't play into the ban or fine but Silver was clear when he said that his past transgressions would be considered when the owners deliberated on voting him out.

niko
05-12-2014, 01:05 PM
Donald Sterling, aside from being the stupidest man alive, and racist, is arguably the worst owner the NBA has seen over the past 20/30 years. People defending im are just clueless.

Want a story? From SI: Donald Sterling (15 years ago) feeling horny i guess decides to create an assistant to the GM position. The ad asked for women with hostess experience who wanted to meet famous people. He scheduled the interviews in his hotel room.

Ok, disgusting old man, why does this make him stupid? Upon hiring the "winner" and giving her a job (again, digusting old man shit but we get it) he proceded to ASK THE WOMAN FOR INPUT ON HIRING AND FIRING IN THE ORGANIZATION AS WELL AS PLAYER EVALUATION FOR TRADES. He hire bimbo to look at and sleep with and used her as talent evaluation.

Dude is a first class ****tard.

IGOTGAME
05-12-2014, 01:06 PM
The NBA said past transgressions didn't play into the ban or fine but Silver was clear when he said that his past transgressions would be considered when the owners deliberated on voting him out.

really. thanks, didn't know that.