PDA

View Full Version : humans, animals and earth will not be around forever

tomtucker
05-13-2014, 06:21 AM
Funny to think about really:
In about 600 million years, the level of CO
2 will fall below the level needed to sustain C3 carbon fixation photosynthesis used by trees. Some plants use the C4 carbon fixation method, allowing them to persist at CO
2 concentrations as low as 10 parts per million. However, the long-term trend is for plant life to die off altogether. The extinction of plants will be the demise of almost all animal life, since plants are the base of the food chain on Earth.
In about 1.1 billion years, the solar luminosity will be 10% higher than at present. This will cause the atmosphere to become a "moist greenhouse", resulting in a runaway evaporation of the oceans. As a likely consequence, plate tectonics will come to an end.[11]

Following this event, the planet's magnetic dynamo may come to an end, causing the magnetosphere to decay and leading to an accelerated loss of volatiles from the outer atmosphere. Four billion years from now, the increase in the Earth's surface temperature will cause a runaway greenhouse effect. By that point, most if not all the life on the surface will be extinct.[12][13] The most probable fate of the planet is absorption by the Sun in about 7.5 billion years, after the star has entered the red giant phase and expanded to cross the planet's current orbit.

iamgine
05-13-2014, 06:25 AM
Human and animals can live on other planet and call it earth

JtotheIzzo
05-13-2014, 06:32 AM
If we make it that long I'd be well impressed.

I think unless we can get our energy production/consumption model down to a maintainable balance with nature we are looking at hundreds or thousands of years, not millions or billions.

I do think we will find ways to get our energy model 'green' (I hate this terminology) but it won't be until we are old and our kids are in charge.

We are victims of our current system (a system, for the record, that I buy into and participate in, not being a hater or anti-anything, just stating facts) and it will take a mild form of revolution to get out of it.

iBandwagon
05-13-2014, 06:37 AM
As mentioned before, we could go to other planets. If we split up and settle at all sorts of different places, the only way we go extinct is if the universe ends or every branch of human evolves into something else.

Sarcastic
05-13-2014, 07:10 AM
600 million? At the rate we are going, the planet will be unlivable in 100 years or so.

COnDEMnED
05-13-2014, 07:12 AM
I'll be long gone by then. As long as it doesn't happen in my lifetime, I'm good. I'll be selfish like that. Better 4 billion years from now than yesterday. This is people 3.5 billion years from now's problem.

DonD13
05-13-2014, 07:42 AM
at an auction for a bitch and she costs 460

D-FENS
05-13-2014, 09:25 AM
We're buying a new place in fall and kitting it out with solar panels. Also changing one of our cars to electric at the same time.

I'd like us to start growing our own food, but it's such a big commitment and hassle. Maybe we'll get there one day.

Anyway, what we really need to do is to stop China, India, Africa and damn Christians from populating at ridiculous rates. Everybody, and I mean everybody should only be allowed to have 1 child.

Ways to fix the earth:
1. Stop immigration unless said person has a skill in need, or is a refugee from a dire situation.
2. Tax the **** out of big box stores, and when they collapse, replace them with community vegetable grow-ops
3. Poor money into renewable technologies and systems. Create a grid so we can support electric cars, or whatever technology it is we choose to go with
4. Make buying an electric car cheaper than a regular car through government subsidies
5. Create a worldwide organisation that every country must be a part of that taxes the **** out of large organisations and extremely wealthy individuals
6. Create a super political party that believes in the following things:
-education is power
-death penalty for violent criminals, rapists, corporate tax evaders etc. No waiting time either - you have 1 year to fight your charges, and then you're getting being held under water by heavy weights for death by drowning.
-Like to graffiti? Like to speed in parking lots? Like to change lanes on the highway without signalling? You'd be happy to know that now you get a public flogging televised on the nightly news!
-1 child families
-money, healthcare and most of all OPPORTUNITY for the less fortunate
-Tax the rich, tax the rich, tax the rich
-ban tobacco
-ban gun ownership, except for the army and po-po
-tax rewards for people that live in a sustainable manner.
7. Flex some muscle over China, and kill half their citizens - destroy their factories. Force them to live sustainable lives and to stop polluting.
8. Any country killing endangered animals or destroying large amounts of the environment will be punished by war.

JtotheIzzo
05-13-2014, 09:31 AM
We're buying a new place in fall and kitting it out with solar panels. Also changing one of our cars to electric at the same time.

I'd like us to start growing our own food, but it's such a big commitment and hassle. Maybe we'll get there one day.

Anyway, what we really need to do is to stop China, India, Africa and damn Christians from populating at ridiculous rates. Everybody, and I mean everybody should only be allowed to have 1 child.

Ways to fix the earth:
1. Stop immigration unless said person has a skill in need, or is a refugee from a dire situation.
2. Tax the **** out of big box stores, and when they collapse, replace them with community vegetable grow-ops
3. Poor money into renewable technologies and systems. Create a grid so we can support electric cars, or whatever technology it is we choose to go with
4. Make buying an electric car cheaper than a regular car through government subsidies
5. Create a worldwide organisation that every country must be a part of that taxes the **** out of large organisations and extremely wealthy individuals
-education is power
-death penalty for violent criminals, rapists, corporate tax evaders etc. No waiting time either - you have 1 year to fight your charges, and then you're getting being held under water by heavy weights for death by drowning.
-Like to graffiti? Like to speed in parking lots? Like to change lanes on the highway without signalling? You'd be happy to know that now you get a public flogging televised on the nightly news!
-1 child families
-ban tobacco
7. Flex some muscle over China, and kill half their citizens - destroy their factories. Force them to live sustainable lives and to stop polluting.
8. Any country killing endangered animals or destroying large amounts of the environment will be punished by war.

Ced?

COnDEMnED
05-13-2014, 09:34 AM

Ways to fix the earth:
-education is power
-1 child families
-ban tobacco
The only spot you kinda lost me was the gun ban. Other than that, any chinaman or Japanese person caught on a whaling vessel should be killed. Any person that cook and eat cat or dog should be killed. Mexico and Asians, I'm looking at you. Bugs, spiders and scorpions you can still eat...Asians love that crap.

Derka
05-13-2014, 09:37 AM
Hilarious points...all rendered completely moot when an asteroid or meteor hits the planet at some point and we die anyway because Michael Bay isn't around to direct a world-saving scenario.

rufuspaul
05-13-2014, 09:50 AM
Hilarious points...all rendered completely moot when an asteroid or meteor hits the planet at some point and we die anyway because Michael Bay isn't around to direct a world-saving scenario.

We should be praying to Jupiter every day. Think how many asteroids would've hit Earth if it weren't for Jupiter's huge gravitational pull.

I think human existence on Earth will be around for a few thousand more years. I just hope the Hornets win a championship before the end.

D-FENS
05-13-2014, 09:51 AM
The only spot you kinda lost me was the gun ban. Other than that, any chinaman or Japanese person caught on a whaling vessel should be killed. Any person that cook and eat cat or dog should be killed. Mexico and Asians, I'm looking at you. Bugs, spiders and scorpions you can still eat...Asians love that crap.

I have nothing against gun ownership. It works in some countries in Europe (particularly Switzerland) gun ownership rates are VERY high, but gun incidents are low.

It could be that the gun laws need to be modified and gun education needs to improve. E.g. don't let idiots own guns. See below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7TcugWqyaI

russwest0
05-13-2014, 09:52 AM
we have such a huge problem with overpopulation yet I never hear it being talked about much in the media.

A planet population increase of 700% in 100 years is ridiculous.

D-FENS
05-13-2014, 09:55 AM
I think human existence on Earth will be around for a few thousand more years. I just hope the Hornets win a championship before the end.

I was talking to Patricia Arquette last week, and she told me to tell you that the Well Fargo Husqvarna Hornets will win the NBAG Championship in 2056. LeMiles Benton-Jamison III is the Finals MVP.

BTW, Jupiter has a moon with layers of frozen oceans. Pretty cool.

D-FENS
05-13-2014, 09:56 AM
we have such a huge problem with overpopulation yet I never hear it being talked about much in the media.

Exactly. Blokes, put your ***** away!

JtotheIzzo
05-13-2014, 10:04 AM
Exactly. Blokes, put your ***** away!

Ced?

D-FENS
05-13-2014, 10:08 AM
Ced?

did you get my pm?

Akrazotile
05-13-2014, 11:02 AM

I made a thread once upon a time about China's one child policy. My position was that altho it was a difficult decision and came with its own set of challenges, it was ultimately the necessary thing to do. Others in the thread took the position that because implementing it required some tough realities, it should have never been done.

I maintain my same position from that thread. Sometimes you have to get tough and enforce things that people dont like in the short term if its for the greater overall good. It disappoints me that we often live in a world so short sighted in that regard.

Jailblazers7
05-13-2014, 11:13 AM
I made a thread once upon a time about China's one child policy. My position was that altho it was a difficult decision and came with its own set of challenges, it was ultimately the necessary thing to do. Others in the thread took the position that because implementing it required some tough realities, it should have never been done.

I maintain my same position from that thread. Sometimes you have to get tough and enforce things that people dont like in the short term if its for the greater overall good. It disappoints me that we often live in a world so short sighted in that regard.

Why not set a planetary age limit? Once you hit 65 you must "retire."

D-FENS
05-13-2014, 11:17 AM

http://www.turnbacktogod.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/old-man-on-escalator.jpg
"Just take this escalator to reach the tapioca aisle of the supermarket."
*10 seconds later*
"Ka-DOMPH!"
*Echoed groaning sounds*

COnDEMnED
05-13-2014, 11:31 AM
They made a movie about that. It's called Soylent Green. Check it out sometime.
"Solyent Green is people!!"

rufuspaul
05-13-2014, 11:33 AM
They made a movie about that. It's called Soylent Green. Check it out sometime.
"Solyent Green is people!!"

In Logan's Run you get the axe at 30.

COnDEMnED
05-13-2014, 11:35 AM
In Logan's Run you get the axe at 30.
Shit your right. I think that was the movie I was trying to remember. I failed on this day..

ZenMaster
05-13-2014, 12:04 PM

Matters on life are very touchy, the thread about abortion is a good example.