PDA

View Full Version : Stan Van Gundy Hired as Head Coach and President of Basketball Operations

Attila
05-13-2014, 11:06 PM
Well, what do you guys think? Reportedly 5 years 35 million. Any chance he trades Josh Smith right away?

Aussie Dunker
05-14-2014, 05:00 AM
Here's to hoping....

If he can package Smith and Jennings for #2 to Magic, that would be sweet haha,

Actually works well for Magic from a positional standpoint...

I just want to see something happen, make a statement or two with some bold moves...

Attila
05-14-2014, 11:26 AM
Here's to hoping....

If he can package Smith and Jennings for #2 to Magic, that would be sweet haha,

Actually works well for Magic from a positional standpoint...

I just want to see something happen, make a statement or two with some bold moves...
Right haha. Send us back the #2 and Oladipo... We can only wish

ZMonkey11
05-14-2014, 06:01 PM
Svg stating he's not keeping Monroe. Maybe because Smith can (being very forgiving here) shoot the three ball and he wants an Orlando like system from inside out.

😞

Aussie Dunker
05-14-2014, 06:22 PM
Well ^^ If that is true, not keeping Monroe is a better option than keeping both Monroe and Smith - they just can not coexist as we have found out.

I want Smith gone, but lets face it, strictly as a PF he is quite effective, and perhaps even more so next to Dre...

ZMonkey11
05-14-2014, 08:33 PM
Well ^^ If that is true, not keeping Monroe is a better option than keeping both Monroe and Smith - they just can not coexist as we have found out.

I want Smith gone, but lets face it, strictly as a PF he is quite effective, and perhaps even more so next to Dre...

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2014-05-14/stan-van-gundy-greg-monroe-pistons-trade-lakers-bobcats-pelicans-nba-free-agency-rumors

I'll agree with it. This also helps keep our transition game and keep athleticism on defense, which Monroe lacked.

Here is to hoping SVG can reign in Jennings and make him the PG we need. If KCP can get his shot down, we can stretch the floor with Jennings, KCP, Gigi, Singler, and Billups, if we pick up his option. Singler showed some stuff at the end of last year.

Aussie Dunker
05-14-2014, 09:51 PM
^^ I beliee there will always be a spot on the team for Singler due to his hard work, hustle, passion, grit, blue collar style team orientated game... It was just a mega bonus that he became someone of a knock down shooter in the 2nd half of last year... Still think he is better suited coming off the bench playing 18-20 minutes...

idizzle
05-14-2014, 10:34 PM
Stan Van Gundy said that he wants to keep Monroe but if they can't agree on a deal they will try to work out a sign and trade to try to bring in a shooter. The Lakers, Hornets, and Pelicans are interested in him.

He also said that he looking to trade Josh Smith but his value is low.

Who do you think the Pistons could get for Monroe?

ZMonkey11
05-14-2014, 11:56 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to a New Orleans trade:
Al-Farouq Aminu and Ryan Anderson for Monroe.

Thought?

Anderson knows how to play in SVG's system already and Aminu a work horse that just gets it done.

ZMonkey11
05-15-2014, 12:02 AM
Stan Van Gundy said that he wants to keep Monroe but if they can't agree on a deal they will try to work out a sign and trade to try to bring in a shooter. The Lakers, Hornets, and Pelicans are interested in him.

He also said that he looking to trade Josh Smith but his value is low.

Who do you think the Pistons could get for Monroe?

The Atlanta Hawks have also expressed interest.

Aussie Dunker
05-15-2014, 07:55 AM
Would we start Anderson or bring him off the bench?? Aminu is a good role player, I think his best bball is yet to be played - not worthy of the top 10 pick he was - but deff potential to be an athletic stopper

ZMonkey11
05-15-2014, 10:31 AM
Would we start Anderson or bring him off the bench?? Aminu is a good role player, I think his best bball is yet to be played - not worthy of the top 10 pick he was - but deff potential to be an athletic stopper

I'd say come off the bench. He never seemed to be a high maintenance player and may embrace that role. That could give him a good chance to be sixth man of the year. This way we could have a starting lineup that has Singler at the SF.

OR, try putting Ryan Anderson starting at SF. I understand this would put us at a disadvantage defensively at SF, but if you look at Orlando's starting lineup when they made the Finals run in 2009, they had Rashard Lewis and Ryan Anderson playing the SF and PF positions. Both players are PFs that don't play defense. Why did this work? They had a huge eraser in the middle. We'd have two erasers in the middle in Josh Smith and Andre Drummond.

It's not the perfect fit, but we would finally have the knock down 3-point shooter in the corner. And we have intangible players that can switch it up in the SF/PF positions to try and make this work if the game goes awry.

Aussie Dunker
05-15-2014, 07:17 PM
^^ I think I like the idea of having a really strong bench with plenty of depth... If a trade like this went through I would like to have Anderson off the bench as you said - as a legit 6th man of the year type role...

I would be looking to upgrade a SF though, doesn't have to be a superstar but someone who is a little more dynamic in this league than Singler. I would love to see Gallinari line up as starting SF for us for example - not a superstar but definitely a very solid team oriented starter in this league (25 years of age too, and after surgery could be cheaper than market price). Someone around this caliber of player... Someone who would compliment Drummond with his range and passing skills - and we would probably have the luxury as you said of not necessarily needing (although it would be nice) a defensive SF if we have Smith at PF to switch onto the Lebrons / Melo's / KD's of the league and Dre to protect the rim...

Anyone else have any more Monroe trade ideas?...

dd24
05-16-2014, 04:17 AM
It's a horrible idea to trade Monroe just for the sake of making a move. I was really worried about this. He's a very good player and the rumored trades just aren't giving Detroit fair value back in return. Now we're seeing rumors of Isiah Thomas being a minority owner of the team too. This franchise could be stuck in a really bad spot.

Aussie Dunker
05-16-2014, 11:28 AM
^^ I hear ya, but there is noooo way I want to enter the 2015 season with Monroe AND Smith on our roster, it just does not work at all... And I just think Smith is just about untradeable due to his contract and poor 2014...

In a perfect world I would love to keep Dre and Monroe and piss Smith off

dd24
05-16-2014, 12:06 PM
I think we'd all rather see Smith go. The problem is I think it's going to take another year. I'd really rather not let Monroe go. So I think we have to hold onto both of them for next season. SVG will just have to make the rotation work so Smith, Monroe, and Drummond aren't all in the game at the same time. If we end up with a top 3 pick somehow then I'd be more open to trading Monroe.

Aussie Dunker
05-16-2014, 08:51 PM
Monroe + #8 for #3 makes a lot of sense if it was a feasible option then...

Aussie Dunker
05-16-2014, 08:53 PM
And when it comes to SVG - Monroe isnt really the type of player he has been known to fit into one of his systems - but who knows what SVG is thinking right now

Aussie Dunker
05-16-2014, 09:18 PM
And apparently Celtics are looking to move Rondo again,

Jennings + Moose for Rondo + #17

Considering Celts are projected to have #5 pick, along with both Jennings and Moose being 25 and 24 years of age... could be a very quick rebuild

And for Det with picks #8 and #17 just get athletic shooters!!! To put around Rondo Smith and Dre... Fast breaks would be insane

dd24
05-16-2014, 10:54 PM
And apparently Celtics are looking to move Rondo again,

Jennings + Moose for Rondo + #17

Considering Celts are projected to have #5 pick, along with both Jennings and Moose being 25 and 24 years of age... could be a very quick rebuild

And for Det with picks #8 and #17 just get athletic shooters!!! To put around Rondo Smith and Dre... Fast breaks would be insane

That I would do. I think if the Pistons could get a guy like Rodney Hood to fall there at 17 that would be a good move. I don't like the value of the 8 pick if that's where we end up necessarily. Everyone keeps predicting us to draft Gary Harris. I don't think that necessarily solves what we need. He's not a bad player but I don't think he's going to be that great either. He's another undersized scoring guard. I've never been big on those types of players. I want my SG to have some length, I feel like 6'6" is the perfect height for that position. On the other hand, we could use help at SF, and Hood can shoot pretty well. He could be the guy who helps stretch the court. But if the Pistons somehow get in the top 6, I think we have to stay there. There's just too much value with those top 6 guys.

Aussie Dunker
05-16-2014, 11:19 PM
I think the top 8 will be:
Wiggins / Embiid / Parker / Exum / Smart / Randle / Vonleh / Gordon (especially after the combine)

Chances are one of Randle / Vonleh / Gordon will slip to us, all of which are the positional player we absolutely don't need...

I think there is value in top 7, and value between 13-18... I think 8-12 is going to be a bit of a loss on value.

That being said, I like Hood, but think he will end up 11-14 range,

I like Stauskas too - especially after his surprising agility results at the combine (better results than Smart!) but I like him for 12-17 range, not at #8...

And if we make a trade with either Moose or Smith, then perhaps we could draft one of those PF types with #8...

insidehoops
05-16-2014, 11:46 PM
Last spring, Detroit Pistons owner Tom Gores watched his team's head-coaching vacancy remain open for 51 days, one more than the number of games eventual hiree Maurice Cheeks coached.

A year later, when it became clear early this month that a premier coach was available but also being wooed by the Golden State Warriors, Gores pounced with a five-year, $35 million offer to make Stan Van Gundy president of basketball operations and head coach.

"We intercepted him," Gores said Thursday. "I think a day or two later, or a week or two later, maybe we wouldn't have gotten to it fast enough."

-- Michigan Live

dd24
05-17-2014, 01:02 AM
I think the top 8 will be:
Wiggins / Embiid / Parker / Exum / Smart / Randle / Vonleh / Gordon (especially after the combine)

Chances are one of Randle / Vonleh / Gordon will slip to us, all of which are the positional player we absolutely don't need...

I think there is value in top 7, and value between 13-18... I think 8-12 is going to be a bit of a loss on value.

That being said, I like Hood, but think he will end up 11-14 range,

I like Stauskas too - especially after his surprising agility results at the combine (better results than Smart!) but I like him for 12-17 range, not at #8...

And if we make a trade with either Moose or Smith, then perhaps we could draft one of those PF types with #8...

Yeah, that's basically what I'm saying. I don't like who's going to be available at 8 for us to fit on our team. I like Stauskas a lot. I like McDermott a lot (for the Pistons). That's exactly what this team needs. You have to surround Drummond with deadly shooters. Hood's stock has dropped in some places, so who knows he could be anywhere from 8 to 20. I almost like getting multiple picks. We really need to get lucky on Tuesday though. That would change the make up of this roster real fast.

Aussie Dunker
05-17-2014, 03:28 AM
I have a feeling Hood's stock is rising, well will rise as we get closer to the draft. Tremendous size and length for the SF position, and did very well in the shooting drills at the combine... Think he will be much closer to 8 than 20 come draft day.

Yes, Amen on McDermott for the pistons, would be a great addition off the bench... But again - not with #8, but happily with any pick around 13 or later..

dd24
05-17-2014, 05:05 AM
I have a feeling Hood's stock is rising, well will rise as we get closer to the draft. Tremendous size and length for the SF position, and did very well in the shooting drills at the combine... Think he will be much closer to 8 than 20 come draft day.

Yes, Amen on McDermott for the pistons, would be a great addition off the bench... But again - not with #8, but happily with any pick around 13 or later..

If it really came down to it and we couldn't trade down, I wouldn't be mad if they picked either one of those players (assuming we luckily get that pick). They just seem to fit better. I'd be upset if they picked Aaron Gordon.

Nastradamus
05-17-2014, 09:02 PM
That I would do. I think if the Pistons could get a guy like Rodney Hood to fall there at 17 that would be a good move. I don't like the value of the 8 pick if that's where we end up necessarily. Everyone keeps predicting us to draft Gary Harris. I don't think that necessarily solves what we need. He's not a bad player but I don't think he's going to be that great either. He's another undersized scoring guard. I've never been big on those types of players. I want my SG to have some length, I feel like 6'6" is the perfect height for that position. On the other hand, we could use help at SF, and Hood can shoot pretty well. He could be the guy who helps stretch the court. But if the Pistons somehow get in the top 6, I think we have to stay there. There's just too much value with those top 6 guys.

Using a pick on Hood or Harris would be a nightmare scenario to me. Harris is too small and always injured and Hood can't defend a chair and likely never will.

Nastradamus
05-17-2014, 09:05 PM
Personally I feel at 8 we have to come away with either Smart,Stauskas or Mcdermott. Stauskas and Mcdermott both had very nice combines and showed that they are more than the spot up shooters they are advertised as. Mcdermott can score from anywhere and Stauskas is very agile and can handle and pas the rock. As much as we need defense, we need a high efficiency shooter(or 2 or 3) more than anything.

Smart to me just screams Detroit PG. I love his size, toughness, decision making and defense. He can't shoot and that's an issue, but we aren't in position to turn down a top PG prospect if you ask me.

Young,Saric,Lavine and Gordon might be options, though none are a particularly great fit/value combo for us IMO.

dd24
05-17-2014, 10:44 PM
Using a pick on Hood or Harris would be a nightmare scenario to me. Harris is too small and always injured and Hood can't defend a chair and likely never will.

Who do you like at that spot then?

dd24
05-17-2014, 10:51 PM
Vincent Ellis: Oklahoma State guard Marcus Smart had met with #pistons
Twitter @Vincent_Ellis56 - See more at:

http://*********.com/archive/rumors/2014/rumors-20140516.htm#sthash.QlaJWq6U.dpuf

If we somehow had the #8 pick and Marcus Smart somehow fell to the Pistons the whole season would be worth it. Just meeting doesn't mean much though. I'm sure he met with a lot of teams. I just don't see him falling that far. It's a PG league. I see the Lakers drafting either Smart or Exum unless they land a top 3 pick. Even if they land a top 3 pick they still may draft Exum. If Orlando falls out of the top 3 I think they would draft Smart. They're potentially going to stack their back court for years to come and pair someone up with Oladipo. I could see Milwaukee taking a PG too. I'm sure they aren't thrilled with Knight for the long term. It really depends on where the ping pong balls fall, but I don't see Smart dropping that far in the draft.

Aussie Dunker
05-17-2014, 11:56 PM
If we take Smart (doubt he falls to us) what happens with Jennings? Do we play them both? How easy would it be to move Jennings? And what return could we get for him?...

If we could get a mid first rounder for him I pull the trigger and draft McDermott / Stauskas / Hood / Lavine with it...

Nastradamus
05-18-2014, 12:11 PM
I don't think you get any value for Jennings. You either keep him as a 6th man or try to salary dump him on someone like Orlando or maybe the Knicks.

Aussie Dunker
05-18-2014, 07:12 PM
And we all know that Jennings would laugh at a 6th man type role...

Nastradamus
05-19-2014, 10:51 AM
most likely so, but man he'd be perfect in that Jamal Crawford role.

dd24
05-19-2014, 03:36 PM
I'm sure he would eventually be traded. I could see a backcourt of Smart and Jennings playing together at times too though.

Aussie Dunker
05-19-2014, 09:12 PM
Jamal Crawford you think?... Hrmmm - I think he would be more like a PG version of Nick Young - he would shoot absolutely everything... He has an ego that is far too big for him to come off the bench effectively. He is still only 24, and he still has a heap of room to grow and improve and has all the tools capable of being a stud. He just needs the right coach and right attitude... He can get into the lane with ridiculous ease - just needs to trade in that stupid floater he loves for dishes under the basket to Dre and our other bigs...

Nastradamus
05-20-2014, 12:44 AM
Crawford isn't exactly a model of efficiency either. Crawford and Jennings are more of combo guards. Young isn't really.

Nastradamus
05-20-2014, 12:45 AM
I'm sure he would eventually be traded. I could see a backcourt of Smart and Jennings playing together at times too though.

Yah, I think that could be quite effective in stretches.

Aussie Dunker
05-20-2014, 07:23 PM
Just a thought, if Bucks get the #1 pick, and decide to stick with Sanders at C - Do you think the Pistons could offer them #8 for Giannis Antetokounmko??

As Parker and Wiggins play the exact same position as this dude,

Nastradamus
05-20-2014, 07:32 PM
Just a thought, if Bucks get the #1 pick, and decide to stick with Sanders at C - Do you think the Pistons could offer them #8 for Giannis Antetokounmko??

As Parker and Wiggins play the exact same position as this dude,

Not sure, but I'd do it.

dd24
05-20-2014, 07:57 PM
Not sure, but I'd do it.
I don't see why they would trade him. He may be able to co-exist with Parker or Wiggins. They might have another deal they could make for Sanders too.

ZMonkey11
05-20-2014, 08:05 PM
Crawford isn't exactly a model of efficiency either. Crawford and Jennings are more of combo guards. Young isn't really.

He may not be a model of efficiency, but he's a spark off the bench that can get the crowd hyped. Plus 6th man of the year #doe.

Like I said at the beginning of the year, I want to Jennings coming off the bench as the spark that doesn't have to really worry about getting others involved. Let him have his time to show off his skills.

But to have him playing with no reigns on when he's not close to our best option just irritates me to no end.

dd24
05-20-2014, 08:26 PM
He may not be a model of efficiency, but he's a spark off the bench that can get the crowd hyped. Plus 6th man of the year #doe.

Like I said at the beginning of the year, I want to Jennings coming off the bench as the spark that doesn't have to really worry about getting others involved. Let him have his time to show off his skills.

But to have him playing with no reigns on when he's not close to our best option just irritates me to no end.
With the current CBA he makes way too much money for a 6th man.

dd24
05-20-2014, 08:43 PM
I feel like the NBA really is rigged at this point. I can't believe this.

Nastradamus
05-20-2014, 08:58 PM
With the current CBA he makes way too much money for a 6th man.

He makes 2 mil more than Crawford or something and you're better off using him in a role that gets the most out of him.

Aussie Dunker
05-20-2014, 08:58 PM
Cavs had a 1.7% chance at #1 pick - get it

Pistons had an 82.4% chance of top 8 pick - don't get it...

This hurts, could of picked up a quality role player to strengthen our bench with #8...

Nastradamus
05-20-2014, 09:00 PM
Eh, it wasn't 0 or 100%. We got screwed, it is what it is. At least its done hanging over us I guess.

Aussie Dunker
05-20-2014, 09:18 PM
Just makes me hate ben gordon even more than I already do...

Nastradamus
05-20-2014, 10:07 PM
This is a really big blow to our franchise IMO. I really think SVG can get the current roster to a 7 or 8 seed with a tweak or two. A lottery pick would have been huge. Get him in here, teach him the systems, groom his talent, see how he looks and start your rebuild. NOw instead we will get a pick in the teens in a weaker draft with no chance to move up.

There are a lot of players I loved at 8. Dammit, dammit, dammit.