PDA

View Full Version : [RUMOUR] - Detroit Pistons to let Greg Monroe go

KobesFinger
05-14-2014, 12:10 PM
After signing Stan Van Gundy to a 5 year $35m contract to be Head Coach and President of Basketball Operations, it is believed the Pistons will allow restricted free agency F/C Greg Monroe to leave.

Source (http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2014-05-14/stan-van-gundy-greg-monroe-pistons-trade-lakers-bobcats-pelicans-nba-free-agency-rumors)

The author of the article opines that SVG will attempt to run the Pistons offence similar to how he ran Orlando with Dwight Howard in the middle with shooters. Monroe finished the season averaging 15/9 which should earn him a max offer sheet. Think back to when Roy Hibbert got a max offer from Portland after averaging 13/9.

The Lakers and the Bobcats are believed to have the best chances to sign him, thought Detroit will of course have the option to match and retain Monroe if they want to. League executives also believe Monroe could opt to join the Pelicans, being a Louisiana native, and play alongside fellow young big man Anthony Davis.

Thoughts?

SHABBA
05-14-2014, 12:10 PM
Would much rather have him and Drummond to build around but I guess they backed themselves into a corner with Smoove's contract.

fpliii
05-14-2014, 12:11 PM
After signing Stan Van Gundy to a 5 year $35m contract to be Head Coach and President of Basketball Operations, it is believed the Pistons will allow restricted free agency F/C Greg Monroe to leave.

Source (http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2014-05-14/stan-van-gundy-greg-monroe-pistons-trade-lakers-bobcats-pelicans-nba-free-agency-rumors)

The author of the article opines that SVG will attempt to run the Pistons offence similar to how he ran Orlando with Dwight Howard in the middle with shooters. Monroe finished the season averaging 15/9 which should earn him a max offer sheet. Think back to when Roy Hibbert got a max offer from Portland after averaging 13/9.

The Lakers and the Bobcats are believed to have the best chances to sign him, thought Detroit will of course have the option to match and retain Monroe if they want to. League executives also believe Monroe could opt to join the Pelicans, being a Louisiana native, and play alongside fellow young big man Anthony Davis.

Thoughts?
:D

We're gonna have to overpay, but I'm excited about this possibility.

Meticode
05-14-2014, 12:14 PM
This doesn't surprise me. Josh Smith is getting $14 million per year for the next three years. There are no teams even sniffing at that right now. Drummond, Monroe and Smith can't play on the floor at the same time. And ideally I'm sure fans would much rather have Drummond/Monroe than Drummond/Smith. Personally I think as long as Smith plays PF and doesn't shoot freakin' threes then it benefits them greatly. He's a great stretch PF 15-20 feet out.

It's sad they can't trade Monroe though? I'm sure a lot of teams will be interested in him.

Jlamb47
05-14-2014, 12:19 PM
Drummonds/Smith would be a good defensive frontcourt. They need to get a legit PG and some shooters

QuebecBaller
05-14-2014, 12:20 PM
Next year lineup

C - Drummond
PF - 3pts shooter
SF - 3pts shooter
SG - 3pts shooter
PG - 3pts shooter

KobesFinger
05-14-2014, 12:25 PM
This doesn't surprise me. Josh Smith is getting $14 million per year for the next three years. There are no teams even sniffing at that right now. Drummond, Monroe and Smith can't play on the floor at the same time. And ideally I'm sure fans would much rather have Drummond/Monroe than Drummond/Smith. Personally I think as long as Smith plays PF and doesn't shoot freakin' threes then it benefits them greatly. He's a great stretch PF 15-20 feet out.

It's sad they can't trade Monroe though? I'm sure a lot of teams will be interested in him.

I don't know, his jumper has never impressed me if I'm honest. Drummond/Smith would be monstrous defensively with the size, length and athleticism. Plus they would be one of the best rebounding front courts in the league. But how would they work on offence? Drummond is more raw than Howard ever was and Smith's shot selection is atrocious.

They can't trade him straight up but they can sign-and-trade him. Kobe is our only max contract at the moment unless we signed-and-traded Gasol, which I hope we don't do.

Meticode
05-14-2014, 12:32 PM
I don't know, his jumper has never impressed me if I'm honest. Drummond/Smith would be monstrous defensively with the size, length and athleticism. Plus they would be one of the best rebounding front courts in the league. But how would they work on offence? Drummond is more raw than Howard ever was and Smith's shot selection is atrocious.

They can't trade him straight up but they can sign-and-trade him. Kobe is our only max contract at the moment unless we signed-and-traded Gasol, which I hope we don't do.
Great is a strong word. I think he has a solid jumper from 15-20 feet out, but beyond the three he's god awful. His best year as a Hawk was the year he took the least amount of three pointers. He took an average of 0.1 per game and that's the only season his his whole career he shot over 50% for the season (50.5%). He had one other season at 49% and everything else is 47% or lower. He's a career 28% three point shooter, he just needs to not shoot those and stick with facing his man up or hitting the 18 foot jumper.

DeuceWallaces
05-14-2014, 12:35 PM
Monroe is terrible and has to go. He is one of the worst defensive players in the league.

Akrazotile
05-14-2014, 12:38 PM
Monroe finished the season averaging 15/9 which should earn him a max offer sheet.

Thoughts?

My thoughts: :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Meticode
05-14-2014, 12:40 PM
Monroe is terrible and has to go. He is one of the worst defensive players in the league.
What's your thoughts on the Van Gundy signing? Like or not like?

livingby3's
05-14-2014, 12:50 PM
Suns.

TylerOO
05-14-2014, 12:51 PM
can the heat get him?

srs.

chocolatethunder
05-14-2014, 12:54 PM
Would much rather have him and Drummond to build around but I guess they backed themselves into a corner with Smoove's contract.
Can you just call him Josh Smith? There's nothing "smoove" about his game unless of course you're referring to a 6'8" guy playing 20 ft from the basket missing jumpers.

Droid101
05-14-2014, 12:55 PM
is he good? could Heat get him?

JUDGE WITNESS
05-14-2014, 12:58 PM
is that the only offense he knows how to run

Crafty
05-14-2014, 01:37 PM
Cole
Wade
Lebron
Bosh
Monroe

dannywpt
05-14-2014, 01:44 PM
Lebron23 was hyping up Monroe as soon as in 2007, saying he would be the next great big man and that he would become much better than Durant.

What happened? :coleman:

DeuceWallaces
05-14-2014, 01:51 PM
What's your thoughts on the Van Gundy signing? Like or not like?

Got to get excited about something, but you don't have to try hard for this move. I love SVG and he got a raw deal his past two stops.

DukeDelonte13
05-14-2014, 01:55 PM
I always like monroe, i think he can be really really good in the right situation. Detroit, much like my own sh*t show of a franchise, has just been too unstable.

-Lebron23-
05-14-2014, 02:59 PM
I am glad a Pistons fan finally opens some eyes. Monroe is seen in this forum as this great post player who is just held back because of a bad situation.

The guy can score but is incredibly soft and gives zero effort on defense. I doubt he will get much better because he seems to lack the fudamentals too. This guy makes current Pau look like a tough defender.

I am not sure why Detroit didn't get anything for him, ever since Drummond started to look good they should have been trying to move his lazy a$$ to some desperate underachieving team.

-Lebron23-
05-14-2014, 03:01 PM
Lebron23 was hyping up Monroe as soon as in 2007, saying he would be the next great big man and that he would become much better than Durant.

What happened? :coleman:
That was the bad Lebron23 though, dude has no clue and just parrots stuff after fapping to box scores, player pages and wikipedia.

-Lebron23-
05-14-2014, 03:04 PM
Drummonds/Smith would be a good defensive frontcourt. They need to get a legit PG and some shooters
Smith on a Turkoglu type of role with less ballhandling should be alright. He is a dumba$$ but he is a talented passer and smaller lineups should let him take advantage of his athleticism.

You are always hopeful that playing the 4 he will cut down those 3pt attempts also :lol

Haymaker
05-14-2014, 03:16 PM
Can the Pistons sign and trade Monroe and package him with Jennings to get anything?

jayfan
05-14-2014, 03:21 PM
I wish the Pistons had hired Lionel Hollins.

Rake2204
05-14-2014, 03:25 PM
Monroe is terrible and has to go. He is one of the worst defensive players in the league.I'd stop well short of calling him terrible, but I admit I always felt there was something missing with him, namely any semblance of athleticism. To his credit, he's found a way to be successful in the NBA without speed or leaping ability, but he always felt limited. Also, as you said, those slow, slow feet definitely created issues defensively. I had a hard time envisioning a prosperous Detroit future with Monroe being such a prominent piece to the equation.

jayfan
05-14-2014, 03:33 PM
UPDATE:

Vincent Ellis ✔ @Vincent_Ellis56
Follow

League source: SVG is a big fan of Greg Monroe. Called Monroe last night when deal was final. Ownership group highly fond of Monroe.
12:42 PM - 14 May 2014

hawksdogsbraves
05-14-2014, 03:33 PM
I'd stop well short of calling him terrible, but I admit I always felt there was something missing with him, namely any semblance of athleticism. To his credit, he's found a way to be successful in the NBA without speed or leaping ability, but he always felt limited. Also, as you said, those slow, slow feet definitely created issues defensively. I had a hard time envisioning a prosperous Detroit future with Monroe being such a prominent piece to the equation.

I have a hard time envisioning ANY team having a prosperous future with Monroe being a prominent piece to their equation.

-Lebron23-
05-14-2014, 03:35 PM
UPDATE:

Vincent Ellis ✔ @Vincent_Ellis56
Follow

League source: SVG is a big fan of Greg Monroe. Called Monroe last night when deal was final. Ownership group highly fond of Monroe.
12:42 PM - 14 May 2014
Meh, they can't just say they'll let him go, teams will think they need to overpay if they want to steal him from Detroit.

outbreak
05-14-2014, 03:37 PM
If the speculation is purely based on Orlando days svg has been on record as saying he ran that offense because the front office gave him so many shooters. Detroit may have hired him to run this though

jayfan
05-14-2014, 03:43 PM
I have a hard time envisioning ANY team having a prosperous future with Monroe being a prominent piece to their equation.

But an even harder time envisioning a prosperous future with Josh Smith, I would think.

jayfan
05-14-2014, 03:46 PM
If the speculation is purely based on Orlando days svg has been on record as saying he ran that offense because the front office gave him so many shooters. Detroit may have hired him to run this though

Detroit hired him to run whatever he wants to run. Gores just likes him.

PistonsFan#21
05-14-2014, 04:02 PM

I doubt the Pistons front office are even thinking about running a similar offense to the Magic. We dont have many good or great shooters and with Drummond at the center we pretty much have no low post offense and cant draw double teams

-Lebron23-
05-14-2014, 04:09 PM
I doubt the Pistons front office are even thinking about running a similar offense to the Magic. We dont have many good or great shooters and with Drummond at the center we pretty much have no low post offense and cant draw double teams
I agree with you but it is important to note that back then Howard did a lot of his damage on the PnR with Jammer Nelson and Turkoglu thanks to the spacing that their shooters provided. Later in his career he just refused to play it as much, especially after his back issues aggravated.

I can see Drummond killing that high PnR if they can get a good guard to run it with (I just don't trust Jennings AT ALL). One interesting guy for them to look at would be Lance Stephenson.

RIP CITY
05-14-2014, 04:42 PM
I have no problem with the Pistons attempting to sign and trade Greg Monroe, I wouldn't let him walk for nothing unless it was absolutely necessary (He gets a Max offer sheet and no S&T is worth it).

Regardless of what happens with Monroe, Josh Smith needs to go too. He can't be a stretch 4, he's the worst 3 point shooter in NBA history (literally, statistically the worst) and shoots 34% from behind 8 feet for his career. He can't shoot, at all. The Pistons need to dump him and Jennings if they ever want to turn this team around.

I'm hoping for big changes from SVG. Blow this team up and build around Drummond.

BuffaloBill
05-14-2014, 04:44 PM
tim to bring in hedo turkoglu, jameer nelson and rashard lewis

Akrazotile
05-14-2014, 04:46 PM
tim to bring in hedo turkoglu, jameer nelson and rashard lewis

Dont forget rafer lolston if they intend to make a finals run.

DeuceWallaces
05-14-2014, 04:47 PM
I have no problem with the Pistons attempting to sign and trade Greg Monroe, I wouldn't let him walk for nothing unless it was absolutely necessary (He gets a Max offer sheet and no S&T is worth it).

Regardless of what happens with Monroe, Josh Smith needs to go too. He can't be a stretch 4, he's the worst 3 point shooter in NBA history (literally, statistically the worst) and shoots 34% from behind 8 feet for his career. He can't shoot, at all. The Pistons need to dump him and Jennings if they ever want to turn this team around.

I'm hoping for big changes from SVG. Blow this team up and build around Drummond.

He was playing out of position and with Monroe gone it would be alleviated.

Rake2204
05-14-2014, 04:51 PM

I'm hoping for big changes from SVG. Blow this team up and build around Drummond.Yeah, it's all just a quagmire at this point. I won't say I had high hopes for Brandon Jennings and Josh Smith, but I most certainly had hopes. Instead, they became two of my least favorite players to ever watch play the game of basketball. I'm not even a guy who, like, cherishes bounces passes, ball movement and back screens. It's just... those ill-timed Josh Smith pull-up threes (combined with his attitude) and Brandon Jennings constantly heat checking (nope, still not hot)... it's rough.

If Jennings and Smith are a big part of a Detroit turnaround, it'll just be another example of me being very wrong about the Pistons (alongside thinking Chauncey wasn't the answer in '02, and that Darko was the answer in '03) but at this point... there's a big part of me who just wants to rid of both of them and start fresh with whatever remains.

He was playing out of position and with Monroe gone it would be alleviated.That would be one of my hopes. I'd worry that he'd still like to get out there and shoot too much (while overdribbling in the open floor). I believe he was largely a four in Atlanta, yes?

If Smith got his mind right, took to everything a coach honestly assessed, and vowed that it was 100% about the team, that might help win me over.

ProfessorMurder
05-14-2014, 04:58 PM
He or Gortat can come to Boston.

CeilingFan#1
05-14-2014, 05:04 PM

Getting Smith was a terrible decision if it means they lose Monroe. Wasn't smart even if they could keep Monroe.

smoovegittar
05-14-2014, 05:19 PM
I always like monroe, i think he can be really really good in the right situation. Detroit, much like my own sh*t show of a franchise, has just been too unstable.
I like SVG too. He'll finally be able to scrape the Orlando stench off his shoes.

andremiller07
05-14-2014, 05:38 PM
Suns should get Monroe or Denver

D-Rose
05-14-2014, 05:40 PM
I've heard that Cubes and the Mavs would be interested. Awesome fit next to Dirk.

BlazerRed
05-14-2014, 05:44 PM

Thoughts?

My thoughts are thank **** the Pacers matched our offer sheet to Hibbert.

-Lebron23-
05-14-2014, 05:44 PM
I've heard that Cubes and the Mavs would be interested. Awesome fit next to Dirk.
Strange fit actually. I am hoping the Mavs get Chandler and Deng though.

TheReturn
05-14-2014, 05:49 PM
Pistons :facepalm

There's a lot of teams that could use Monroe.

poido123
05-14-2014, 05:50 PM
Suns should get Monroe or Denver

Suns adding Monroe would be interesting.

I still scratch my head at Pistons signing Smith when they had two capable big men already. How on earth did they think that would work?

I think Monroe and Drummond could of worked though.

T_L_P
05-14-2014, 05:57 PM
Get him, San Antonio.

Post Duncan era: Parker-Monroe-Kawhi, Splitter as the anchor :bowdown:

QuebecBaller
05-14-2014, 06:02 PM
Get him, San Antonio.

Post Duncan era: Parker-Monroe-Kawhi, Splitter as the anchor :bowdown:

For Monroe's development, SA would be the best. 1-2 years with Duncan and Pop, he would learn a lot

Inferno
05-14-2014, 06:21 PM
Can he play defense?

jayfan
05-14-2014, 06:37 PM
Getting Smith was a terrible decision if it means they lose Monroe. Wasn't smart even if they could keep Monroe.

This. The acquisition of Smith wrecked a nice, young nucleus.

RIP CITY
05-14-2014, 06:45 PM
He was playing out of position and with Monroe gone it would be alleviated.

You're in for a rude awakening if you think Josh Smith playing PF full time is going to fix all the problems with his game, shot selection might be his worst flaw but it's far from his only one and it won't magically become a non issue if he's playing PF full time. He needs to go.

EricGordon23
05-14-2014, 07:33 PM
pops should grab him so he can train under duncan

Dbrog
05-14-2014, 08:09 PM
Obviously you can't just let him go. That's idiotic if he's a RFA. I don't even know why they would let him go unless a team paid him out the ass.

Threethrows
05-14-2014, 09:17 PM
One of the more overrated players in the league, but for the right price he can be a solid pick up for a lot teams, most of he's willing to come off the bench.

SwishSquared
05-15-2014, 02:07 AM
I think Monroe's a solid player, but I'd hesitate at giving him the max. Could have been the (lack of great) coaching, chemistry problems, or lack of athleticism, but my understanding has been that is he awful defensively due both to lack of foot speed and an unwillingness to try to compensate with effort. He has quick hands, which can disrupt passing lanes, but I don't think Monroe is a PF. I believe his highest PER this past season was playing at C with Smith at PF. He's got a post-up game and can pass out of the post. Nice young piece, though I don't view him as a true franchise type. He might develop into an Al Jefferson-type, which is pretty darn good.

I can see him in New Orleans playing alongside Davis (who's honestly basically the perfect complement to him defensively), but it has to be a reasonable deal. Monroe S&T for Ryan Anderson + filler. Who says no?

wally_world
05-15-2014, 05:34 AM
Suns HAVE to get him. We need to utilise our caproom this FA season before we offer Bled his contract. Monroe can be a good fill in for 1 or 2 seasons and perhaps we can package him in the future with a couple more young studs for another star player (KLove?)

andremiller07
05-15-2014, 05:38 AM
develop into an Al Jefferson-type, which is pretty darn good.

I can see him in New Orleans playing alongside Davis (who's honestly basically the perfect complement to him defensively), but it has to be a reasonable deal. Monroe S&T for Ryan Anderson + filler. Who says no?
God damn that would be insane can't believe I didn't think of that, wow that would be a crazy combo for sure. Although if you do that than you probably have to get rid of Tyreke and Gordon while keeping Holiday which would be fine.

andremiller07
05-15-2014, 05:39 AM
One of the more overrated players in the league, but for the right price he can be a solid pick up for a lot teams, most of he's willing to come off the bench.
Your kidding Monroe is in the upper tier of starting PF's, he was just in a position to fail playing with idiots like Smith and Jennings, a playmaking/scoring PF is not easy to find.

goldcrow
05-15-2014, 06:13 AM
Interesting news, just a couple of questions.
Is he any good?
Can the Heat get him?

wally_world
05-15-2014, 07:12 AM
I think Monroe's a solid player, but I'd hesitate at giving him the max. Could have been the (lack of great) coaching, chemistry problems, or lack of athleticism, but my understanding has been that is he awful defensively due both to lack of foot speed and an unwillingness to try to compensate with effort. He has quick hands, which can disrupt passing lanes, but I don't think Monroe is a PF. I believe his highest PER this past season was playing at C with Smith at PF. He's got a post-up game and can pass out of the post. Nice young piece, though I don't view him as a true franchise type. He might develop into an Al Jefferson-type, which is pretty darn good.

Wow that trade actually makes alot of sense for Detroit. As a Suns fan im hoping SVG does not realise this is an option :lol

kurple
05-15-2014, 08:41 AM

anything you like on the nuggets? i think wilson chandler would be great there as a starting 3 and/or stretch 4

SwishSquared
05-15-2014, 09:36 PM

anything you like on the nuggets? i think wilson chandler would be great there as a starting 3 and/or stretch 4
@Kurple:Are you referring to Nuggets acquiring Monroe or Smith? Couldn't quite tell based on your statement. If you meant a package based around Chandler for Monroe S&T, I think SVG will definitely demand Nugg's lottery pick. I'm not sure if Denver would part with that pick. Don't get me wrong- Monroe can be a destructive offensive force. But even if Denver only signs him to a $50M/4yr deal, that Nuggets would have like $32M committed to Monroe, McGee, Hickson, and Mozgov, not to mention that Faried is due for an extension soon too. That's a lot of money tied up in big men and you're betting if Monroe has his own team, he'll produce.

Chandler's deal, I think, is not guaranteed past this coming year, which necessitates the inclusion of that draft pick. I know Pistons would probably do that deal though, unless they can get a true stretch PF in another trade.

SwishSquared
05-15-2014, 09:47 PM
Wow that trade actually makes alot of sense for Detroit. As a Suns fan im hoping SVG does not realise this is an option :lol
I've heard the Suns' come up in a lot of Monroe rumors. Do you think he'd be a good fit with that squad? They def have to be smart about their picks/cap space prior to signing Bledsoe. I just don't know if defensively a Frye/Monroe line-up will get the job done. I can def see the Suns packaging Frye + 2nd rounder to Houston for Asik if HOU can't swing a better trade. I think Suns should offer Goodwin + Len + #14, #27, and a future first for Love. I also like Tucker as a 3&D guy, so they should re-sign him.
Dragic-Bledsoe-Tucker-Love-Asik.
Ish-Green-Morris-Morris-Plumlee
I think that's a pretty darn scary squad next season. They certainly stunned the WC this year until Bledsoe went down.