PDA

View Full Version : Are CP3 & Kevin Durant superstars?

Mass Debator
05-15-2014, 03:45 PM
I just listened to Skip, Stephen A, and Isiah Thomas talking about the criteria of what a superstar is, and I guess they came to a common ground that one must win a chip to be considered a superstar.

So are them two superstars according to you? And who is a superstar right now?

And one question I wanted to ask that crew if I could is, "When is a player stripped from that superstar status?"

BlkMambaGOAT
05-15-2014, 03:47 PM
The one doesn't play like b!tch.

gts
of course they are.. that criteria is stupid but then consider the source

NumberSix
No. People are throwing around "superstar" too loosely. Kobe and LeBron are superstars. Nobody else.

215Philly
05-15-2014, 03:50 PM
If you win the MVP, you are an automatic superstar

Demitri98
05-15-2014, 03:51 PM
Yes. stupid question

tjgoHAM
05-15-2014, 03:52 PM
superstar status is more popularity/mass marketing appeal than actual ability/effectiveness.

GimmeThat
05-15-2014, 03:52 PM
They are superstars to their franchise and their fan, and most likely superstars to their conference if they make it to the finals.

But yes, until they win a ring, they are not superstars in terms of the league.

AnaheimLakers24
05-15-2014, 03:53 PM
No. People are throwing around "superstar" too loosely. Kobe and LeBron are superstars. Nobody else.
this. everyone else is just a really good all star.

Mass Debator
05-15-2014, 03:54 PM
Is D-Rose still one? Or was he ever one? What about Westbrook?

GimmeThat
05-15-2014, 03:55 PM

True, I haven't done the count in terms of Hall Of Famers by MVP without rings, and those with rings without MVP. I suspect the number might turn out where MVP had been viewed similarly as a ring.

Probably as close to an individual ring as it gets.

AnaheimLakers24
05-15-2014, 03:55 PM
id say rose was borderline superstar since he got so popular playing for bulls an all. not no more

tmacattack33
05-15-2014, 03:56 PM
I just listened to Skip, Stephen A, and Isiah Thomas talking about the criteria of what a superstar is, and I guess they came to a common ground that one must win a chip to be considered a superstar.

And one question I wanted to ask that crew if I could is, "When is a player stripped from that superstar status?"

Well they're retarded then. A chip is won by a team of 8 players (yes, actually 12 but usually only 8 get significant minutes).

Kevin Durant is easily a super-star.

Chris Paul is borderline top 5, so he's a borderline super-star. He was a super-star in 2008 and 2009 though easily.

Fudge
05-15-2014, 03:57 PM
:oldlol:

Kevin Durant is easily a superstar.

CP3 isn't, imo. Hell, Blake is more of a superstar than he is.

Thechosen1
05-15-2014, 03:57 PM

then so is paul perice and garnett, parker, ginobli, bosh, wade, dirk

NumberSix
05-15-2014, 03:58 PM
then so is paul perice and garnett, parker, ginobli, bosh, wade, dirk
Why?

Natureland
05-15-2014, 03:59 PM
LeBron's only been a superstar for around 2 years, we're ****ed. :biggums:

Fudge
05-15-2014, 04:00 PM
LeBron's only been a superstar for around 2 years, we're ****ed. :biggums:
This. :lol

Mass Debator
05-15-2014, 04:01 PM
How about if a player is an all-star and he brings his team to the finals, that's when he becomes a superstar?

All Net
05-15-2014, 04:05 PM
Listening to those two idiots was your first mistake.

Keno
05-15-2014, 04:08 PM

agreed. everyone else is just an all-star/star player. not superstars.

Mass Debator
05-15-2014, 04:10 PM
Listening to those two idiots was your first mistake.
Zeke was on the show :coleman:

and they do have good topics and content to share. It's up to you if are smart enough to filter all the garbage.

Nash
05-15-2014, 04:12 PM
only 2 superstars in the league, Lebron and Kobe

rest are stars

navy
05-15-2014, 04:18 PM
Kobe isnt a superstar anymore. What is wrong with you guys?

Smoke117
05-15-2014, 04:26 PM
superstar status is more popularity/mass marketing appeal than actual ability/effectiveness.

This. Any player popular enough can be a superstar...it really has nothing to do with their actual ability. Of course they are all good players either way, but how good is up for debate. People would consider Allen Iverson a superstar, but I doubt many would Tim Duncan because Duncan never had the popularity and mass appeal of someone like Iverson. He was clearly a much better player though.

GimmeThat
05-15-2014, 04:29 PM
This. Any player popular enough can be a superstar...it really has nothing to do with their actual ability. Of course they are all good players either way, but how good is up for debate. People would consider Allen Iverson a superstar, but I doubt many would Tim Duncan because Duncan never had the popularity and mass appeal of someone like Iverson. He was clearly a much better player though.

A disciple of David Stern

:bowdown:

Must be a popular owner!!!

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Black and White
05-15-2014, 04:38 PM
I think Skip and Stephen A's ring criteria is stupid,

The factors that I think apply to a superstar are:

- Level of play

- Popularity

- Marketabiliy

- Championships (as a leader)

and a combination of accolades, be it MVP awards, all-star nominations, all-team nominations etc,

but the first three I listed are most important.

Marlo_Stanfield
05-15-2014, 04:41 PM
durant was a superstar before the post season but he will only remain one if he wins the title this year.
he would be out of the first round if not a second year bench player carried his ass with 32 points and would be out of the second round probably if not for blatant rigging.
he needs the title to redeem himself as a superstar:coleman:

Thechosen1
05-15-2014, 04:47 PM
Why?

they are all considered stars, and have rings so they must be superstars by the definition

Black and White
05-15-2014, 04:50 PM
they are all considered stars, and have rings so they must be superstars by the definition

Dude, he disagreed with that definition.

T_L_P
05-15-2014, 04:50 PM
only 2 superstars in the league, Lebron and Kobe

rest are stars

The dude hasn't played a Playoff game in two years and his return this season was disastrous.

Yet he's a superstar? And don't give me that mass appeal shit. A superstar is a basketball talent.

T_L_P
05-15-2014, 04:51 PM
Durant gives us flashes of superstar (this regular season). But other times he looks lost (losing 4-1 with Westbrook, Ibaka and Harden), playing like dogshit this postseason.

Until he wins a ring, I won't consider him a superstar.

Black and White
05-15-2014, 04:51 PM
The dude hasn't played a Playoff game in two years and his return this season was disastrous.

Yet he's a superstar? And don't give me that mass appeal shit. A superstar is a basketball talent.

If you miss a whole season, and people are still talking about you and whats going to happen with you next year etc, I think you are a superstar.

navy
05-15-2014, 04:57 PM
Durant gives us flashes of superstar (this regular season). But other times he looks lost (losing 4-1 with Westbrook, Ibaka and Harden), playing like dogshit this postseason.

Until he wins a ring, I won't consider him a superstar.
Rings are irrelevant. Durant is a superstar, dude put up 30 on 50% in those finals. He just lost to a better one in 2012 who's second option was a year removed from superstar status. :confusedshrug:

Lebron was a superstar before 2012 his first ring and it really wasnt debateble.

He's been playing like a scrub in these playoffs so far. But he is still a superstar and second best player in the nba.

Sarcastic
05-15-2014, 04:59 PM

This. Johnny Manziel is a superstar despite never playing an NFL game.

navy
05-15-2014, 05:00 PM
If you miss a whole season, and people are still talking about you and whats going to happen with you next year etc, I think you are a superstar.
Nonsense. Past appeal or popularity doesnt make you a super star, production does. Kobe was an average player in his short return.

mistergreens
05-15-2014, 05:00 PM
KD yes, CP3 no

Black and White
05-15-2014, 05:05 PM
Nonsense. Past appeal or popularity doesnt make you a super star, production does. Kobe was an average player in his short return.

If you read my post earlier in this thread, you would see that I listed a number of factors that apply, and Kobe still has popularity and marketability on his side, I'm pretty sure he would have sold more jerseys and shoes than players that actually played (excluding LeBron) this year, he is a superstar.

NumberSix
05-15-2014, 05:14 PM
I never said anything about rings.

ArbitraryWater
05-15-2014, 05:47 PM
this. everyone else is just a really good all star.

:wtf:

what happened to:

flopper
pansy
colluding
stacked
lediva
bail out
ray allen

MellowYellow
05-15-2014, 06:03 PM
I think people are way too stingy giving out superstar status. The top 15 or so players in the NBA are all superstars, there is just another level above superstar in which right now only Lebron and Popovich are at.

aboss4real24
05-15-2014, 06:04 PM
Durant isnt a superstar

he's jus a frontrunner

BoutPractice
05-15-2014, 06:09 PM
Of course, both of them, how is that even a question?

SamuraiSWISH
05-15-2014, 06:21 PM
So MJ wasn't a superstar from '86 - '90? Um ok. LeBron wasn't a superstar from 2k5 - 2k11? Um ok. Shaq wasn't a superstar from '93 - 1999? Um ok. Makes absolute total sense.

NumberSix
05-15-2014, 06:21 PM
I think people are way too stingy giving out superstar status. The top 15 or so players in the NBA are all superstars, there is just another level above superstar in which right now only Lebron and Popovich are at.
My mom knows who LeBron James is. My mom knows who Kobe Bryant is. My mom doesn't know who Chris Paul is. My mom doesn't know who Carmelo Anthony is.

Russell Westbrook is like an actor who the general public doesn't know his name. It's not just about how good you are. Everybody knows who Tom Cruise is. I don't know the guys name who currently plays Spider-Man.

gts
05-15-2014, 06:23 PM
I think people are way too stingy giving out superstar status. The top 15 or so players in the NBA are all superstars, there is just another level above superstar in which right now only Lebron and Popovich are at. I might not find 15 i'd ran as superstars but i agree with your thoughts overall

NumberSix
05-15-2014, 06:29 PM
I might not find 15 i'd ran as superstars but i agree with your thoughts overall
If you even have to consider it, they're not a superstar.

LeBron: yes. Don't even have to think about it.
Kobe: yes. Don't even have to think about it.
CP3: hmmmm..... Took too long. NOT a superstar.

Nash
05-15-2014, 06:55 PM
Superstars the last 25 years

Bird
Magic
Shaq
Lebron
Kareem
Jordan
Kobe

Cold soul
05-15-2014, 08:05 PM
Superstars the last 25 years

Bird
Magic
Shaq
Lebron
Kareem
Jordan
Kobe

Where's Duncan?

Bernkastel
05-15-2014, 08:15 PM

KD is a for sure superstar for now. He has to maintain his current level of skill to continue as one. CP3 has gone too long without winning and isn't as dominant so I don't consider him as one.

When four or five players start eclipsing them in skill/stats.