PDA

View Full Version : Is Doc Rivers overrated?

tamaraw08
05-16-2014, 01:53 PM
zero rings when Thibs left, even with 4 HOFs at Boston. Clips Needed 7 games to disposed a team without their starting center. Got beaten by a team tgat relied heavily on 2 players in offense with a very loaded team of
1 arguably the best PG in the league
2 Mvp candidate and top 3 PF in the league.
3 most dominant defensive center
4 2 of the best shooting guards
5. top 10 defensive guys in their positions ,Barnes and Collison.
not saying hje is a bad coach

AirTupac
05-16-2014, 01:55 PM
1. His main star is mentally weak and is overrated

NBAplayoffs2001
05-16-2014, 01:56 PM
zero rings when Thibs left, even with 4 HOFs at Boston. Clips Needed 7 games to disposed a team without their starting center. Got beaten by a team tgat relied heavily on 2 players in offense with a very loaded team of

no overrated team

imdaman99
05-16-2014, 01:58 PM
OKC is a bad matchup for them. So are the Spurs, but they would have beaten every other team (Grizz would have taken them 7 possibly, maybe even beat them).

They need backup big men for Blake and Jordan. Big baby ain't gonna cut it.

ThatCoolKid
05-16-2014, 02:02 PM
Yes, any coach in the NBA could have won 1 chip with the Celtics teams Doc had, many could have won more.

NumberSix
05-16-2014, 02:03 PM
He's a great coach, but coaches don't play the game.

Purch
05-16-2014, 02:08 PM
I actually put a poll on real gm about Rick Carilse vs Doc Rivers, and the poll was like 70 to 18 in favor of Rick, sooooo

TheStarting5ive
05-16-2014, 02:09 PM
Yes, he is.

IDK who started this narrative about him being the best coach in the NBA but its ridiculous. The way they talk about him you would think he was Phil Jackson, Greg Poppovich, Red Auerbach.

I never cared for him when he coached the Celtics. Not enough emphasis on rebounding, never could draw up a last second play that didn't include Paul Pierce iso, he was stubborn as hell when it came to lineups even when it was clear that what he had on the floor wasn't working amongst many other things.

IDK I just think its a case of if you say something enough times people will start to believe it. People keep pounding Doc Rivers is an amazing coach into people's heads and everybody just starts to agree. Its crazy to me. It reminds me of how a couple of years ago everyone was saying Deron Wiliams was the best PG in the NBA.

He is a good personality manager. X's and O's though? Not so much.

NumberSix
05-16-2014, 02:12 PM
I actually put a poll on real gm about Rick Carilse vs Doc Rivers, and the poll was like 70 to 18 in favor of Rick, sooooo
IMO, Pop, Rick, Doc and Spo are the best coaches in the NBA. And now, Stan Van Gundy too.

TheStarting5ive
05-16-2014, 02:13 PM
What makes Doc Rivers so great? What is it? Is it the one ring? How many coaches have one ring??

Laker4Lyfe
05-16-2014, 04:03 PM
He's very overrated.

ImKobe
05-16-2014, 04:15 PM
Meh. He should have won more in Boston, but KG's injury took away a potential b2b title in 09 and Perkins injury + horrible offense in the 4th quarter of Game 7 cost him another title. 2012 Had a decent chance to make the Finals again, but Lebron was just too good and Chris Bosh returned from injury, there was no way they were going to stop Miami.

Doc is overrated because he is often talked about as one of the best coaches in the league - that's bullshit. He's a great motivator and he's the right guy to represent a team, but as far as actual adjustments go -- he's average.

Can't take anything away from him this year because his team lost to a better one. Most of us expected OKC to win in 6 or 7 games and they came through. Doc might have a better chance next year if Blake & DeAndre keep improving.

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2014, 06:18 PM
definitely

hawksdogsbraves
05-16-2014, 06:57 PM
He's very, very overrated. He was never good before he had the Big 3 in Boston, and he has this Clippers team underperforming in LA.

COnDEMnED
05-16-2014, 07:03 PM
I like him as a person and can appreciate his philosophy, but I believe he is overrated. Try and remember Doc coaching the Celtics before the big three formed. If my memory is correct (it may not be) he was close to getting fired before Allen and Garnett showed up. His ring was gifted by 4 players who would have won it, with or without him.

Genaro
05-16-2014, 07:09 PM
Meh. He should have won more in Boston, but KG's injury took away a potential b2b title in 09 and Perkins injury + horrible offense in the 4th quarter of Game 7 cost him another title. 2012 Had a decent chance to make the Finals again, but Lebron was just too good and Chris Bosh returned from injury, there was no way they were going to stop Miami.

Doc is overrated because he is often talked about as one of the best coaches in the league - that's bullshit. He's a great motivator and he's the right guy to represent a team, but as far as actual adjustments go -- he's average.

Can't take anything away from him this year because his team lost to a better one. Most of us expected OKC to win in 6 or 7 games and they came through. Doc might have a better chance next year if Blake & DeAndre keep improving.

This.
Also people should remember that that Celtics team has the most loses in the playoffs for a team that won an NBA title.

Done_And_Done
05-16-2014, 07:14 PM
Doc is your prototypical players coach whose best aptitudes are centred around his ability to motivate. He certainly doesn't seem like the type who can mastermind a genius strategy though. If I had to give him a letter grade I would say he's a B or -B. He's not great but certainly not trash...

stephanieg
05-16-2014, 07:28 PM
Before the big three he was considered one of the worst coaches in the league and he almost got fired. The script flipped on him pretty quick.

MC Gusto
05-16-2014, 07:38 PM
Definitely. I'll give him credit for the 1 championship, but much like KG's career in Minnesota, Doc's entire coaching career before the Big 3 era is forgotten because he has a ring.

Sharmer
05-16-2014, 08:25 PM
The media love him but he's a terrible offensive coach, his teams are known for blowing big leads in the 4th and the offense going stagnate.

Sharmer
05-16-2014, 08:26 PM
Definitely. I'll give him credit for the 1 championship, but much like KG's career in Minnesota, Doc's entire coaching career before the Big 3 era is forgotten because he has a ring.

That Celtics team was more loaded then the Miami Heat.

Relinquish
05-16-2014, 08:28 PM

This is honestly true.

JimmyMcAdocious
05-16-2014, 08:36 PM

Nah. But it was freakishly loaded and Doc's reputation is built off a championship chasing team. A successful one, though. So I suppose he deserves some credit.

He's one below Adelman and Carlisle and coaches of that level.

tamaraw08
05-16-2014, 08:51 PM
He's very, very overrated. He was never good before he had the Big 3 in Boston, and he has this Clippers team underperforming in LA.
well imo his greatest stint was in Orlando when he took a bunch of scrubs and role players and make them decent.
its just that some rate him so much better than scott brooks, spoelstra, vogel, mark jax( got paid 1/3rd of what rivers got kast season.

smoovegittar
05-16-2014, 09:51 PM
Doc is your prototypical players coach whose best aptitudes are centred around his ability to motivate. He certainly doesn't seem like the type who can mastermind a genius strategy though. If I had to give him a letter grade I would say he's a B or -B. He's not great but certainly not trash...
This. On point.

dreamwarrior
05-16-2014, 10:02 PM
All I heard when he was mic'd up was some cheerleading, no actual plays or strategy

RIP CITY
05-16-2014, 10:12 PM
The media definitely overrates the shit out of him. He's one of the best motivator's in the Coaching ranks but in terms of X's and O's, strategy/gameplanning he's a pretty average Coach. Good, solid Coach but not great, not elite.

davehos
05-16-2014, 10:14 PM

What the hell is this -ish?

That's like saying Phil Jackson was a fake for having 5 Hall of Famers on on the Bulls/Lakers.

A championship is a championship.

MC Gusto
well imo his greatest stint was in Orlando when T-Mac took a bunch of scrubs and role players and make them decent.
its just that some rate him so much better than scott brooks, spoelstra, vogel, mark jax( got paid 1/3rd of what rivers got kast season.

Fixed.

davehos

There's a line forming for the circle jerk.

:lebronamazed:

MC Gusto
05-16-2014, 10:16 PM
I'm going to agree with this. They were a lot weaker depth wise in the following years, but that championship team was loaded as hell.

stalkerforlife
05-16-2014, 10:30 PM
Doc should be fired for insubordination.

Stop cashing your checks from the "racist."

poido123
05-16-2014, 10:34 PM
No, but I think his team is mentally weak.

They can look so dominant at times, but then give up 10 points through sloppy play and lazy defense.

I don't know how they couldn't get it done against OKC, when they have an unstoppable PF, two big guys who can both dunk from anywhere, a guy who can get them that pass at will, a defensive/athletic anchor, some ridiculously good shooters and a 6th man of the year off the bench? NTM, guys like big baby and Granger who have been starters on other teams...

I feel sorry for Clippers fans, they should expect more from this team. They should be dominant, but aren't.

Al Thornton
05-16-2014, 10:45 PM
The media definitely overrates the shit out of him. He's one of the best motivator's in the Coaching ranks but in terms of X's and O's, strategy/gameplanning he's a pretty average Coach. Good, solid Coach but not great, not elite.

how is he not great when the majority of coaching is just motivating?

it's like u guys don't think when u post

Al Thornton
05-16-2014, 10:50 PM
No, but I think his team is mentally weak.

They can look so dominant at times, but then give up 10 points through sloppy play and lazy defense.

I don't know how they couldn't get it done against OKC, when they have an unstoppable PF, two big guys who can both dunk from anywhere, a guy who can get them that pass at will, a defensive/athletic anchor, some ridiculously good shooters and a 6th man of the year off the bench? NTM, guys like big baby and Granger who have been starters on other teams...

I feel sorry for Clippers fans, they should expect more from this team. They should be dominant, but aren't.

they have an unstoppable power forward who doesn't have the respect from the referees at all. when he drives to the basket he is not getting a call. he is never getting a call unless he is blatantly hacked across the arms. having that in his head is obviously going to make him less aggressive. meanwhile the team he just played has 2 players that get a whistle for any type of contact at all times.

and they were dominant. they had best offense in the league and in the playoffs, they barely lost to the best or second best team in the league while having a very huge distraction following them for a month. losing is always disappointing but that isn't much more disappointing than if they had lost in the conference finals or finals. which they would have. west is crazy, there were 7 real contenders this year.

Sharmer
05-16-2014, 10:51 PM
In the 2010 finals great quote by Phil Jackson during a time out. This team leads the NBA in blowing leads. It has now been proven that Doc coached teams blow huge leads in the 4th. Remember the Celtics were up 13 in the 4th in 2010, and they literally couldn't score because Doc kept going to the same predictable plays- Phil Jackson would have been laughing inside.

poido123
05-16-2014, 10:59 PM
they have an unstoppable power forward who doesn't have the respect from the referees at all. when he drives to the basket he is not getting a call. he is never getting a call unless he is blatantly hacked across the arms. having that in his head is obviously going to make him less aggressive. meanwhile the team he just played has 2 players that get a whistle for any type of contact at all times.

and they were dominant. they had best offense in the league and in the playoffs, they barely lost to the best or second best team in the league while having a very huge distraction following them for a month. losing is always disappointing but that isn't much more disappointing than if they had lost in the conference finals or finals. which they would have. west is crazy, there were 7 real contenders this year.

All fingers point to an underlying influence the NBA has on making Durant and James the golden childs. You can see it in the reffing, you can see it with the timing of calls etc etc. Sure, you can beat this influence and play better than what the refs can throw at you, but how is that fair? How is that promoting a good NBA product? All this bullshit about 'NBA cares' and other corny ass commercials...

Anyways, off my rant, I see what your saying about Griffin. I doubt that favourtism stops whenever OKC plays the Clippers, what I do know is, the Clippers certainly had chances to win the series/games. Their weakness is that they don't concentrate for long enough, not put in a sustained effort that will win games comfortably. That's the problem I have with them. If they play to their ability every game and for the full 48 minutes, they should win.

tamaraw08
05-16-2014, 11:30 PM
Fixed.

well imo his greatest stint was in Orlando when T-Mac took a bunch of scrubs and role players and make them decent.

Fixed

I was talking about BEFORE TMac joined the team, back in 99-00, the best player was Darrel Armstrong supported by Abdul Wahad, Amaechi, Wallace, Atkins etc. Those guys would struggle cracking a rotation with most teams.

Al Thornton
05-16-2014, 11:38 PM
All fingers point to an underlying influence the NBA has on making Durant and James the golden childs. You can see it in the reffing, you can see it with the timing of calls etc etc. Sure, you can beat this influence and play better than what the refs can throw at you, but how is that fair? How is that promoting a good NBA product? All this bullshit about 'NBA cares' and other corny ass commercials...

Anyways, off my rant, I see what your saying about Griffin. I doubt that favourtism stops whenever OKC plays the Clippers, what I do know is, the Clippers certainly had chances to win the series/games. Their weakness is that they don't concentrate for long enough, not put in a sustained effort that will win games comfortably. That's the problem I have with them. If they play to their ability every game and for the full 48 minutes, they should win.

that's definitely true but the same could be said for all teams even the one that wins a championship.

AirTupac
05-16-2014, 11:39 PM
So mad :lol :lol :lol