3.Carlisle
4.SVG

hawksdogsbraves
05-19-2014, 08:46 PM
1. Doc
2.Thibs
3.Carlisle
4.SVG

How can you put Doc that high? He won 1 ring with a Celtics team that I could've coached to a championship and was always garbage before that. Then he goes to a ridiculously stacked Clippers team and has accomplished approximately nothing.

He's all media hype, nowhere near the elite coaches in this league, of which Thibs is absolutely one, (2nd after Pop imo) and Carlisle is as well.

SVG is very good, I don't think you can quite say he's elite at this moment though considering he's been gone for a while and didn't exactly go out in a blaze of glory.

The_Pharcyde
05-19-2014, 08:58 PM
How can you put Doc that high? He won 1 ring with a Celtics team that I could've coached to a championship and was always garbage before that. Then he goes to a ridiculously stacked Clippers team and has accomplished approximately nothing.

He's all media hype, nowhere near the elite coaches in this league, of which Thibs is absolutely one, (2nd after Pop imo) and Carlisle is as well.

SVG is very good, I don't think you can quite say he's elite at this moment though considering he's been gone for a while and didn't exactly go out in a blaze of glory.

Also don't forget thibs was docs lead assistant and designed the defense to stop kobe, lebron, the pistons and the hawks

Milbuck
05-19-2014, 09:01 PM
Thibs
Carlisle
Doc
SVG

Lebronxrings
05-19-2014, 09:02 PM
Thibs
Carlisle
Doc
SVG
/thread

DukeDelonte13
05-19-2014, 09:02 PM

:no: total horsesh*t.

hawksdogsbraves
05-19-2014, 09:03 PM
Also don't forget thibs was docs lead assistant and designed the defense to stop kobe, lebron, the pistons and the hawks

Stopping the Hawks wasn't a great feat but yeah you're absolutely right.

RIP CITY
05-19-2014, 09:05 PM
1. Carlisle
2. Thibs
3. SVG
4. Doc

Doc is just great motivator, he's not that great of a Coach. Vastly overrated. People think he's great because he gives good motivational speeches in huddles, in terms of gameplanning, X's and O's, adjustments etc. he's just above average. I'd still call him Top 10 but there really isn't that many good Coaches in NBA.

Spaulding
05-19-2014, 09:14 PM
Thibs
Doc
SVG
Carl

Smoke117
05-19-2014, 09:16 PM
1. Thibs
2. SVG
3. DOC
4. Carlisle

jbryan1984
05-19-2014, 09:59 PM
Doc, Thibs, Carlisle, SVG

PJR
05-19-2014, 10:03 PM
I'll rank them by whoever has the best talent at that respective time.

Not much separating any of those coaches outside of luck and circumstances. All very good.

Threethrows
05-19-2014, 10:50 PM
1a: Carlisle
1b: Thibs
3. SVG
4. Doc

Doc is really overrated, always felt this. Too often we judge coaches by the teams they have and not their coaching ability. People in Orlando and Boston both wanted the guy gone at one point, then he got KG and Ray and suddenly he's a great coach? No.

Doc is a GOOD coach, but not great.

With Carlisle and Thibs I think it depends on what you are looking for from your coach as to who would be "better".

hawksdogsbraves
05-19-2014, 10:51 PM
I'll rank them by whoever has the best talent at that respective time.

Not much separating any of those coaches outside of luck and circumstances. All very good.

What a cop out :rolleyes:

Le Shaqtus
05-19-2014, 10:51 PM
1 and 2 are really close.

1. Thibs
2. Carlisle
3. Doc
4. SVG

cltcfn2924
05-20-2014, 12:41 PM

Heat had a better team the first year and didn't win it.

Burgz V2
05-20-2014, 01:00 PM
Thibs
Doc
Carlisle
SVG

Thibs has alway done the most with the least. The one year his team has been healthy (aka Derrick Rose being healthy) they were legit contenders. Never mind the fact that his team has NEVER been deep due to Chicago being so cheap and running their players into the ground.

Doc has had sustained success. Call it the talent on his rosters, but Doc is a modern day Phil, he knows how to get a team of great players to play together. Unfortunate circumstances this year with the whole Sterling nonsense. I honestly thought they had a chance, but they played the victim one too many times and it became boy who cried wolf. Anyone saying he is just a motivator, where is your proof? Because ESPN CHOOSES to only show clips of him motivating his players? Always felt that was such a stupid accusation of him as a coach.

Carlisle is one of the best offensive coaches in the league. I don't rank him as highly because despite his sustained success he always has a great team of assistants. Many people in hindsight now accredit Terry Stotts with Mavericks' offensive success in those years (given the offensive efficiency of the Blazers this year) and Casey as the defensive mastermind (case and point, Raptors overachieving through consistently strong defense)

SVG has had success, sure. But he has never won anything of note. Could say the same for Thibs, but SVG at least has had some very deep teams, and had his superstar consistently throughout his tenure with the Magic. Too me he's a good coach but there are so many good coaches in the league that are interchangeable here. The others at least have proven they can win (including Thibs who could probably make the playoffs with his towel boy as his sixth man :lol)

VengefulAngel
05-20-2014, 01:03 PM
Carlisle
Thibs
Doc=SVG

Demitri98
05-20-2014, 01:12 PM
Thibs
Doc
Carlisle
SVG

hawksdogsbraves
05-20-2014, 01:37 PM
Thibs
Doc
Carlisle
SVG

Thibs has alway done the most with the least. The one year his team has been healthy (aka Derrick Rose being healthy) they were legit contenders. Never mind the fact that his team has NEVER been deep due to Chicago being so cheap and running their players into the ground.

Doc has had sustained success. Call it the talent on his rosters, but Doc is a modern day Phil, he knows how to get a team of great players to play together. Unfortunate circumstances this year with the whole Sterling nonsense. I honestly thought they had a chance, but they played the victim one too many times and it became boy who cried wolf. Anyone saying he is just a motivator, where is your proof? Because ESPN CHOOSES to only show clips of him motivating his players? Always felt that was such a stupid accusation of him as a coach.

Carlisle is one of the best offensive coaches in the league. I don't rank him as highly because despite his sustained success he always has a great team of assistants. Many people in hindsight now accredit Terry Stotts with Mavericks' offensive success in those years (given the offensive efficiency of the Blazers this year) and Casey as the defensive mastermind (case and point, Raptors overachieving through consistently strong defense)

SVG has had success, sure. But he has never won anything of note. Could say the same for Thibs, but SVG at least has had some very deep teams, and had his superstar consistently throughout his tenure with the Magic. Too me he's a good coach but there are so many good coaches in the league that are interchangeable here. The others at least have proven they can win (including Thibs who could probably make the playoffs with his towel boy as his sixth man :lol)

http://insideradvantage.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Capture.jpg

This is Doc's career history before getting the Big 3. As you can see, he was an average coach at best, and never even made it out of the first round. If not for Ainge bringing in Garnett and Allen, he probably would've been fired the next year and he'd never even be in this discussion.

He's never done anything without multiple superstars on his roster, (or Thibs engineering his defenses) and even then hasn't exactly exceeded expectations. I don't know how many more disappointing seasons with this LA Clippers team he gets before people get off his nuts.

He's 'just' a motivator? Maybe. You rag on ESPN for calling him that, but you're as guilty of overrating him as they are.

wally_world
05-20-2014, 01:44 PM
Carlise
Thibs

Doc

SVG

Doc is overrated. He's alright, but he's really more of a motivator, lockerroom leader than a strategist.

Dresta
05-20-2014, 01:57 PM
Doc is clearly inferior to the other 3. Carlisle is the best of the lot for me as well.

tpols
05-20-2014, 02:04 PM
http://insideradvantage.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Capture.jpg

This is Doc's career history before getting the Big 3. As you can see, he was an average coach at best, and never even made it out of the first round. If not for Ainge bringing in Garnett and Allen, he probably would've been fired the next year and he'd never even be in this discussion.

He's never done anything without multiple superstars on his roster, (or Thibs engineering his defenses) and even then hasn't exactly exceeded expectations. I don't know how many more disappointing seasons with this LA Clippers team he gets before people get off his nuts.

He's 'just' a motivator? Maybe. You rag on ESPN for calling him that, but you're as guilty of overrating him as they are.

He was coaching a team of mcgrady and scrubs in orlando :wtf:

What was he supposed to do? None of these coaches would win anything with early orlando or mid 2000s boston rosters. Were talking about teams whose second leading scorers in the playoffs were drew gooden, darrell armstrong, antione walker, and ricky davis. :roll:

hawksdogsbraves
05-20-2014, 02:41 PM
He was coaching a team of mcgrady and scrubs in orlando :wtf:

What was he supposed to do? None of these coaches would win anything with early orlando or mid 2000s boston rosters. Were talking about teams whose second leading scorers in the playoffs were drew gooden, darrell armstrong, antione walker, and ricky davis. :roll:

Yeah, he was coaching a T-Mac putting up 32/6/5 in what is widely considered to be one of the weakest eras of the NBA we've ever seen.

What do I think he's supposed to do? How about get the best out of the players that surrounded a top 3 player in the league and get them out of the first round? I'm not saying he had to win ships every year but what more does the guy need than a top 3 player? Oh yeah, he needs MULTIPLE superstars to do ANYTHING.

tpols
05-20-2014, 02:48 PM
what more does the guy need than a top 3 player? .

A team full of good basketball players and not scrubs.

Harison
05-20-2014, 03:14 PM
Thibs
Carlisle
Doc
SVG
+1

Rik Smits' Hair
05-20-2014, 03:16 PM
Carlisle
Thibs
SVG