PDA

View Full Version : If the Spurs win it all, how is Tim Duncan NOT top 5 all time?

Milbuck
05-20-2014, 02:31 PM
The Heat do not look as dangerous as they did last year, the Pacers are zero threat, and the Thunder are going to have quite a bit of trouble beating them without Ibaka...and San Antonio itself is a better team than last year. The Spurs look like they're in serious position to win it all this year, and I think they will.

For those of you who still wouldn't consider him ahead of Bird, Magic, Wilt (if you're one of those guys...), etc. why not? With another ring, is there any argument for him to be outside the top 5 of all-time?

This was sparked by Omnistrife's Spurs tribute thread. Shit had me nearly in tears.

robert_shaww
05-20-2014, 02:37 PM
The Heat do not look as dangerous as they did last year, the Pacers are zero threat, and the Thunder are going to have quite a bit of trouble beating them without Ibaka...and San Antonio itself is a better team than last year. The Spurs look like they're in serious position to win it all this year, and I think they will.

For those of you who still wouldn't consider him ahead of Bird, Magic, Wilt (if you're one of those guys...), etc. why not? With another ring, is there any argument for him to be outside the top 5 of all-time?

This was sparked by Omnistrife's Spurs tribute thread. Shit had me nearly in tears.

Since 08, just when you think Duncan is about to win it all.....its all over.

This year is no difference, he was ALWAYS stacked as ANY top 20 player in the history of the game....and is not enough...he needs to be stacked and also weak opossition (99 knicks without ewing, kidd nets, or ginobili/parker saving him against pistons or detroit)

with any average team in the finals, no ring for duncan.

Rake2204
05-20-2014, 02:38 PM
I believe team victories are much more about one's team, and may not correlate directly to individual ability and greatness. Tim Duncan is an incredible player historically. He was masterful in several integral aspects of the game. However, I do not believe a 2014 championship magically thrusts his ability further forward; for this championship, if they are fortunate enough to win, will have just as much to do with his supporting cast as it will himself.

T_L_P
05-20-2014, 02:40 PM
Since 08, just when you think Duncan is about to win it all.....its all over.

This year is no difference, he was ALWAYS stacked as ANY top 20 player in the history of the game....and is not enough...he needs to be stacked and also weak opossition (99 knicks without ewing, kidd nets, or ginobili/parker saving him against pistons or detroit)

with any average team in the finals, no ring for duncan.

Stop relying on the Finals. He still went through the Shaq/Kobe Lakers in '03. That's better than most teams in NBA history. God your'e incessant.

Duncan hasn't played with another superstar. That's what usually wins. When did he have a 30/15 player like Kobe did? A 30/15 player like Magic did. A 22/9 player like Bird did?

Edit: don't even want to see your illiterate response. Ignored.

robert_shaww
05-20-2014, 02:42 PM
Stop relying on the Finals. He still went through the Shaq/Kobe Lakers in '03. That's better than most teams in NBA history. God your'e incessant.

Duncan hasn't played with another superstar. That's what usually wins. When did he have a 30/15 player like Kobe did? A 30/15 player like Magic did. A 22/9 player like Bird did?

im going to answer the question:

right now: 15

robert_shaww
05-20-2014, 02:43 PM

Edit: don't even want to see your illiterate response. Ignored.

he was never a 30/15 himself...in his best season ever he was 24PPG :facepalm

T_L_P
05-20-2014, 02:45 PM
he was never a 30/15 himself...his best season ever he was 24PPG :facepalm

The hell does that have to do with it? Generally speaking, Kareem and Shaq are both considered ahead of Duncan.

:facepalm

Oh, and it was 26 PPG, and in the Playoffs much higher. Yet again with your fabricated stats. Why do you do it? Do you get some weird satisfaction from this shit?

Akrazotile
05-20-2014, 02:46 PM
I don't rank guys based on how many numbers of titles they have. I base it on who I think is the most impactful player.

That said, I'd take Duncan over Magic and Bird. There I said it.

robert_shaww
05-20-2014, 02:47 PM
The hell does that have to do with it? Generally speaking, Kareem and Shaq are both considered ahead of Duncan.

:facepalm

Do you think i dont know about this sport because i rank him 15

Milbuck
05-20-2014, 02:47 PM
he was never a 30/15 himself...in his best season ever he was 24PPG :facepalm
:facepalm He's averaged 26/13/4/3/1 before..

If you're gonna get technical, Shaq was never a 30/15 player either. It doesn't change the fact that he was a 30/15 threat every single night...the same way Duncan was, and to an extent, still is.

He's also averaged 28/14/5/4/2 in the playoffs before. That's not 30/15, what a scrub right?

robert_shaww
05-20-2014, 02:48 PM
I don't rank guys based on how many numbers of titles they have. I base it on who I think is the most impactful player.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0306/espn_g_bird_johnsonm_576.jpg

robert_shaww
05-20-2014, 02:49 PM
:facepalm He's averaged 26/13/4/3/1 before..

If you're gonna get technical, Shaq was never a 30/15 player either. It doesn't change the fact that he was a 30/15 threat every single night...the same way Duncan was, and to an extent, still is.

He's also averaged 28/14/5/4/2 in the playoffs before. That's not 30/15, what a scrub right?

your are right Milbuck...i must admit it this time...by the way..you are a good poster (honestly)

Milbuck
05-20-2014, 02:50 PM

Thank you for saying it, that's one of the big things I was trying to get at.

I cannot understand how Bird would or could be ranked ahead of Duncan if he won another ring, yet some people here act like he's this God that Duncan simply cannot surpass. Honestly, TD's sustained greatness, impact on both ends of the floor, and accomplishments right now warrant at the very least a discussion. Same thing with Magic, to a lesser degree.

Milbuck
05-20-2014, 02:51 PM
your are right Milbuck...i must admit it this time...by the way..you are a good poster (honestly)
Thanks, alt :oldlol:

T_L_P
05-20-2014, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=robert_shaww]Do you think i dont know about this sport because i rank him 15

robert_shaww
Thanks, alt :oldlol:

:rolleyes:

Akrazotile
Thank you for saying it, that's one of the big things I was trying to get at.

I cannot understand how Bird would or could be ranked ahead of Duncan if he won another ring, yet some people here act like he's this God that Duncan simply cannot surpass. Honestly, TD's sustained greatness, impact on both ends of the floor, and accomplishments right now warrant at the very least a discussion. Same thing with Magic, to a lesser degree.

:cheers:

Is it too much to hope that you also have Kidd ahead of Kobe as I do?