PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan is a great player, but top 10 of all-time? Not in my book

robert_shaww
05-20-2014, 04:50 PM
Off the top of my head I'd take Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Shaquille O'Neal, Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Oscar Robertson, kobe Bryant and Hakeem Olajuwon ahead of Duncan. There's a quick 10 without as much as a three-second violation.

Nothing against Duncan, but you could also give me Jerry West, LeBron James, Julius Erving, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Bob Cousy, Charles Barkley, Karl Malone and Kevin McHale. Oh, and let's not forget Bob Pettit, Moses Malone, John Stockton and Isiah Thomas.

Except for 2001-02 when he scored 25.5 points per game, Duncan has always averaged between 18 and 22 points per game. Maybe it's the lack of flair in his game.

Gregg Popovich, after someone asked him about Duncan as a top-10 player Of all time:

"I think in some ways he suffers from the small market, with the pop culture and all that. It's nice that some people rank him that high, but we've had a lot of great players in this league.''

TheMagicMan
05-20-2014, 04:52 PM
Agreed OP :applause:

Warfan
05-20-2014, 04:52 PM
Fine. Your opinion but most would disagree with it.

Cold soul
05-20-2014, 04:55 PM
Duncan is top 10 all-time and is known as greatest PF ever.

robert_shaww
05-20-2014, 04:57 PM
Duncan is top 10 all-time and is known as greatest PF ever.

As a lifelong Spurs fan, I think Tim Duncan is one of the most overrated players in NBA history. He

onhcetum
05-20-2014, 04:58 PM
Bill Russell played in a league of 8 teams and had a playoffs of 2 rounds...

can we quit the circle jerk around him and wilt please?

and last time, i checked, defense is 50% of the game. duncan is among the greatest defensive anchors of all time... of ALL TIME

rebounds, points, blocks, greatest winner of all time

we can go stats or we can go intangibles, anyway u slice it

robert_shaww
05-20-2014, 04:59 PM
Bill Russell played in a league of 8 teams and had a playoffs of 2 rounds...

can we quit the circle jerk around him and wilt please?

circle jerk?

russell won 11 rings, 2 rounds, 3 rounds my ass...11 rings. chamberlain average 50 points per game in 62.

Smook A.
05-20-2014, 05:02 PM
Tim Duncan
Career Averages of 20 ppg, 11.1 rpg, 3 apg and 2 bpg
4x NBA Champ
3 Finals MVPs
2x NBA MVP
14x All-Star
1 NBA-All Star Game MVP
10x All-NBA 1st Team
3x All-NBA 2nd Team
1x All-NBA 3rd Team
8x All-NBA Defensive 1st Team
6x All-NBA Defensive 2nd Team
Rookie of the Year
All-Rookie 1st Team
Also, his career averages in the playoffs are 21.6 ppg, 11.7 rpg, 3 apg, 2.4 bpg

How the hell does that not make him a Top 10 player ever. The guy has a monster resume. He's been consistently elite, if not, good for his whole career and he's been playing since 1997. That's 17 years of consistency.

If you don't think Tim Duncan is top 10 then he should be atleast top 11 on your all-time list.

SOD 21
05-20-2014, 05:02 PM
Tim Duncan is easily a top 10 player all time, I personally have him ranked seventh or eight all-time, and anyone suggesting that he isn't must be critiquing him off of what they have seen over the last few years as his skills have begun to diminish with age, which would be akin to ranking Abdul-Jabbar on his play in the mid to late 80s versus his prime.

But I would also say that he is getting helped by being coached by the greatest coach in the NBA, possibly in all of North American sports, and that has helped prolong his career and add to his legacy.

But regardless, of course, he's a top 10 all-time player.

robert_shaww
05-20-2014, 05:06 PM
Tim Duncan
Career Averages of 20 ppg, 11.1 rpg, 3 apg and 2 bpg
4x NBA Champ
3 Finals MVPs
2x NBA MVP
14x All-Star
1 NBA-All Star Game MVP
10x All-NBA 1st Team
3x All-NBA 2nd Team
1x All-NBA 3rd Team
8x All-NBA Defensive 1st Team
6x All-NBA Defensive 2nd Team
Rookie of the Year
All-Rookie 1st Team
Also, his career averages in the playoffs are 21.6 ppg, 11.7 rpg, 3 apg, 2.4 bpg

How the hell does that not make him a Top 10 player ever. The guy has a monster resume. He's been consistently elite, if not, good for his whole career and he's been playing since 1997. That's 17 years of consistency.

If you don't think Tim Duncan is top 10 then he should be atleast top 11 on your all-time list.

he is around 13-15 in my book. ( i have a book....700 pages)

pastis
05-20-2014, 05:16 PM
i dont know where i would put him by rank, but i agree with you that he is overrated since many many years. his peak was from 99-03. Medium-skilled from 03-05. 05-14----> third best player on his own team

his defense so way overrated, it is solid but just overrated. 90 % of his baskets are easy layups, easy rebounds cause only near the rim. he is waiting for the assist from parker, ginobili and get the uncontested shot at least since 08, maybe earlier.

he is profiting from parker, ginobili, popovic etc. for any clutch-situations there is ginobili or parker or another one of his super stacked team. but honestly, how could you choke, if you arent the go to guy? how could you choke with 2 feet from the basket? popovic is a genius and has the super stackedteam. duncan can rest since his mvp year, its ridiculous. never had to carry a team for 16 years by his own shoulder (like dirk). if yo look how may rest he get, he MUST (yea must, not can, could etc. he MUST) play at his level right now at least for 2-3 years, cause its by far not comparable with the exhausting and tough Dirk-Play for example.

td is a nice, humble and down-to-earth guy, but "his" achieves are very very depending on how good parker, ginobili etc are playing.

05 and 07 parker FMVP. 99 ring is a joke, so i give 03 to duncan.

Uncle Drew
05-20-2014, 05:17 PM
This gimmick is still going?

Black and White
05-20-2014, 05:21 PM
At least the title of this thread is something different for once, still, OPs gimmick has jumped the shark

Bob Dole
05-20-2014, 05:22 PM
Tim seems as if he always paced himself in the regular season and often didnt play crazy minutes. Look at his playoff stats if you want to see more of his impact.

pastis
05-20-2014, 05:23 PM
At least the title of this thread is something different for once, still, OPs gimmick has jumped the shark

dwade = 0 titles alone

dwade + refs = 1 title

dwade + bosh + bron + refs = 2 titles

strong

pastis
05-20-2014, 05:25 PM
Tim seems as if he always paced himself in the regular season and often didnt play crazy minutes. Look at his playoff stats if you want to see more of his impact.

look at dirks playoffs stats! and this stats although he has to carry since 16 years the franchise by his own. playing 1000x thougher and more exhausting basketball than TD ever has.

riseagainst
05-20-2014, 05:29 PM
I agree, OP. Duncan is more of a flow of the game player. He'll get his stats. That's why he's so consistent. But he's not a carrier anymore after his 2003 playoff run. He's a system player.

Rubio2Gasol
05-20-2014, 05:32 PM
Lets be real.

You're illiterate and hence do not own books.

pastis
05-20-2014, 05:33 PM
I agree, OP. Duncan is more of a flow of the game player. He'll get his stats. That's why he's so consistent. But he's not a carrier anymore after his 2003 playoff run. He's a system player.

exactly. i dont know why this is so hard to accept for Duncan stans? I mean, im from Germany, we love our TEAM at first and than the players.

be proud TLP to have with popovic the best ever and with ginobili, parker etc best ever as well. be prou.d change duncan with 9th division player from ukraine and spurs will still be contenders.

Paul George 24
05-20-2014, 05:45 PM
exactly. i dont know why this is so hard to accept for Duncan stans? I mean, im from Germany, we love our TEAM at first and than the players.

be proud TLP to have with popovic the best ever and with ginobili, parker etc best ever as well. be prou.d change duncan with 9th division player from ukraine and spurs will still be contenders.

idiot :facepalm

Black and White
05-20-2014, 05:47 PM
dwade = 0 titles alone

dwade + refs = 1 title

dwade + bosh + bron + refs = 2 titles

strong

What the hell is your point? Nobody can win a ring on their own,

but look at Dirks ring, Hakeem?

pastis
05-20-2014, 05:48 PM
What the hell is your point? Nobody can win a ring on their own,

but look at Dirks ring, Hakeem?

mj first title

depending on how weak your team is by comparison and how much the team is depending on their franchise player (like Dirk 2011). hell, im not a lebron stan, but he did it almost alone

robert_shaww
05-20-2014, 05:49 PM
Lets be real.

You're illiterate and hence do not own books.

i have a book, exacltly 678 pages.

05-20-2014, 05:50 PM
If Duncan is top 10 then tony parker is #1 (that's what franch media and franch people would say)

DonDadda59
05-20-2014, 05:55 PM
OP's book:

http://images.betterworldbooks.com/076/Basketball-for-Dummies-9780764552489.jpg

pastis
05-20-2014, 05:56 PM
How did mj win his first title on his own? Scottie was great in the playoffs that year

scottie that great :biggums:

jstern
05-20-2014, 06:01 PM
Duncan is going to suffer from the casual fan and young people not thinking he's that good due to superficial reasons.

Milbuck
05-20-2014, 06:08 PM
Let's be honest, half of your "book" is probably you explaining what you did before you wrote the book.

robert_shaww
05-20-2014, 06:22 PM
Let's be honest, half of your "book" is probably you explaining what you did before you wrote the book.

its seem like you wrote the book....how did you know? :rolleyes:

CeilingFan#1
05-20-2014, 06:28 PM
As a lifelong Spurs fan,

:roll: You aren't fooling anyone.

NauruDude
05-20-2014, 06:35 PM
Off the top of my head '

man you've got all those guys sitting on your head. youre strong

bdreason
05-20-2014, 06:39 PM
I recently moved him to #6 all-time, ahead of Bird. Too much consistency of excellence to deny Duncan his proper place in history. Peak play isn't everything.

Nastradamus
05-20-2014, 07:02 PM
4 rings and he's probably the best defensive player of all time.

NumberSix
05-20-2014, 07:05 PM
4 rings and he's probably the best defensive player of all time.
:facepalm

This is why it's near impossible to have a rational conversation about Tim Duncan. Half the idiots think he's a borderline role player, the other idiots overrate the shit out of him.

T_L_P
05-21-2014, 12:06 AM
Let's be real OP: if you had any credible basketball knowledge, you'd at least have other members engaging in the discussion. They're not. They're calling you an idiot not only because of your opinions but also because of all the bullsh*t you spew.

You think prime Robinson is better than prime Duncan?

Here are his Playoff stats from '90-'98: 23 / 12 / 3 / 1 / 3, over the span of 62 games.

Here are Duncan's from '99-'07: 24 / 13 / 4 / 1 / 3, over the span of 129 games.

And you just basically called Shaq on of the best defenders ever. Further proof you've been watching basketball for five minutes (most casuals, like you, look at Shaq and he think he was the greatest defender ever, when the reality is he was very good at his best and solid usually).

5 rings fan
05-21-2014, 12:13 AM
Most of the americans can't think
just because someone told them Duncan is the GOAT pf and is top 10 and they just mindlessly copied what these propaganda told them
just like the Cold soul poster in first page

OP is real intelligent

Straight_Ballin
05-21-2014, 12:17 AM
its seem like you wrote the book....how did you know? :rolleyes:

Lol Robert_shaww online while Milbuck offline and vice versa.

Get a life and stop this gimmick already!

Warners0
05-21-2014, 12:20 AM
:roll: You aren't fooling anyone.

Seriously what a clown

Warners0
05-21-2014, 12:23 AM
Not only is Duncan top 10 he should be in the discussion for best of all time.

The spurs have never not won 50 games under his watch.

He is about wins, and team basketball. When he has had to score he has done it.

He is a dominant scorer when he really needs to be.

He has shown it time in and time out in his career.

5 rings fan
05-21-2014, 12:26 AM
Not only is Duncan top 10 he should be in the discussion for best of all time.

The spurs have never not won 50 games under his watch.

He is about wins, and team basketball. When he has had to score he has done it.

He is a dominant scorer when he really needs to be.

He has shown it time in and time out in his career.
never repeated
Kobe 5 >>> Duncan 4
Deal with it trash

T_L_P
05-21-2014, 01:50 AM
never repeated
Kobe 5 >>> Duncan 4
Deal with it trash

Hondo 8>>>Kobe 5

pastis
05-21-2014, 02:00 AM
Hondo 8>>>Kobe 5

i dont know where i would put duncan by rank, but i agree with you that he is overrated since many many years. his peak was from 99-03. Medium-skilled from 03-05. 05-14----> third best player on his own team

his defense so way overrated, it is solid but just overrated. 90 % of his baskets are easy layups, easy rebounds cause only near the rim. he is waiting for the assist from parker, ginobili and get the uncontested shot at least since 08, maybe earlier.

he is profiting from parker, ginobili, popovic etc. for any clutch-situations there is ginobili or parker or another one of his super stacked team. but honestly, how could you choke, if you arent the go to guy? how could you choke with 2 feet from the basket? popovic is a genius and has the super stackedteam. duncan can rest since his mvp year, its ridiculous. never had to carry a team for 16 years on his own shoulder (like dirk). if yo look how may rest he get and got, he MUST (yea must, not can, could etc. he MUST) play at his level right now at least for 2-3 years, cause its by far not comparable with the exhausting and tough Dirk-Play for example.

td is a nice, humble and down-to-earth guy, but "his" achieves are very very depending on how good parker, ginobili etc are playing.

Deuce Bigalow
05-21-2014, 02:03 AM
Hondo 8>>>Kobe 5
Hondo was on Kobe's level?

GoSpursGo1984
05-21-2014, 02:07 AM
i dont know where i would put duncan by rank, but i agree with you that he is overrated since many many years. his peak was from 99-03. Medium-skilled from 03-05. 05-14----> third best player on his own team

he is profiting from parker, ginobili, popovic etc. for any clutch-situations there is ginobili or parker or another one of his super stacked team. but honestly, how could you choke, if you arent the go to guy? how could you choke with 2 feet from the basket? popovic is a genius and has the super stackedteam. duncan can rest since his mvp year, its ridiculous. never had to carry a team for 16 years on his own shoulder (like dirk). if yo look how may rest he get and got, he MUST (yea must, not can, could etc. he MUST) play at his level right now at least for 2-3 years, cause its by far not comparable with the exhausting and tough Dirk-Play for example.

You can tell the posts like this of people who have an agenda so they say stupid things just to fit their agenda.I doubt from what you post you have ever seen a Spurs game

5 rings fan
05-21-2014, 02:07 AM
Hondo was on Kobe's level?
Kobe went to 7 finals , Duncan ? 5

but on ISH 5>>>7 so im not sure...

T_L_P
05-21-2014, 02:21 AM

'05 what? You give Parker '07 because he won the FMVP, so Duncan should get '05. If we're talking strictly production, Duncan's 22/12/3/3 shits on Parker's 21/3/6.

What's overrated about his defense? What exactly I mean? Not just, "tiz gd, but ovrated". Duncan was still being double teamed in '07. Parker and Manu were getting easier baskets. :oldlol:

Also, Duncan is 4-16 in Playoff game winners, Parker is 5-15. So much more clutch. :facepalm

Victoire
05-21-2014, 03:07 AM
'05 what? You give Parker '07 because he won the FMVP, so Duncan should get '05. If we're talking strictly production, Duncan's 22/12/3/3 shits on Parker's 21/3/6.

What's overrated about his defense? What exactly I mean? Not just, "tiz gd, but ovrated". Duncan was still being double teamed in '07. Parker and Manu were getting easier baskets. :oldlol:

Also, Duncan is 4-16 in Playoff game winners, Parker is 5-15. So much more clutch. :facepalm

TLP is everything i hate about some spurs' fan. He absolutely doesnt care about the team. He worships ONE player (in his case Duncan) and will basically bash any other spurs' players in order to make his player the sole reason for spurs' success.

Go to your room TLP, stare at your duncan's picture and dont come back.

T_L_P
05-21-2014, 03:10 AM
TLP is everything i hate about some spurs' fan. He absolutely doesnt care about the team. He worships ONE player (in his case Duncan) and will basically bash any other spurs' players in order to make his player the sole reason for spurs' success.

Go to your room TLP, stare at your duncan's picture and dont come back.

Not at all. I love the Spurs players. Pop is one of the greatest coaches ever.

But people are talking as if Manu or Parker are on Duncan's level (and in the case of these recent posters, they think they're better).

I'd probably be less harsh on TP/Manu if the guys around here stopped trying to prop them up so much.

Rose
05-21-2014, 05:21 AM
Free SourPatchKids

All Net
05-21-2014, 05:53 AM
All I want for Christmas is banning power... :lol

robert_shaww
05-21-2014, 09:49 AM

2005 WCF Finals, Prime Duncan vs his first "decent" offensive opponent Amare Stoudemire from the Suns:

Amare 37PPG in the Series.

PD: In other wcf or finals he played against boozer (07), camby (99), gooden (07) rasheed (05) martin (03) and other scrubs....(offensively)

Thread.

Jlamb47
05-21-2014, 09:55 AM
IMO hes underrated mroe then overrated. Dude does everything good on the court without athletiscm. He always played limited minutes and stilla beast on both ends and he shows up more in the playoffs. Yal trippin hes top 6-7

ArbitraryWater
05-21-2014, 10:04 AM
All I want for Christmas is banning power... :lol

YES :oldlol: :cheers:

ralph_i_el
05-21-2014, 10:35 AM
[QUOTE=robert_shaww][B] I just don

JellyBean
05-21-2014, 11:57 AM
I am not a big Tim Duncan fan but we have to really rethink the overall ten greatest players in the NBA because the dude is legit. In my eye, Tim Duncan is among that ten. Now somebody will have to leave that great top ten house. Who will it be? For me, I left off the Big O, Oscar Robertson and Hakeem. My Ten All-Time greats are:

Kareem-If he had the media skills of Magic or Jordan, we would not even argue his greatness.

Michael Jordan

Wilt
Bill Russell
Magic
Larry Bird
Shaq
Kobe
Karl Malone
Tim Duncan

T_L_P
05-21-2014, 11:59 AM
I am not a big Tim Duncan fan but we have to really rethink the overall ten greatest players in the NBA because the dude is legit. In my eye, Tim Duncan is among that ten. Now somebody will have to leave that great top ten house. Who will it be? For me, I left off the Big O, Oscar Robertson and Hakeem. My Ten All-Time greats are:

Kareem-If he had the media skills of Magic or Jordan, we would not even argue his greatness.

Michael Jordan

Wilt
Bill Russell
Magic
Larry Bird
Shaq
Kobe
Karl Malone
Tim Duncan

You seriously think Karl Malone is one of the ten greatest players ever?

Even Malone's coach, Jerry Sloan, called Duncan the greatest PF ever.

I'm interested to know why you place him so high.

riseagainst
05-21-2014, 12:00 PM

Michael Jordan

Wilt
Bill Russell
Magic
Larry Bird
Shaq
Kobe
Karl Malone
Tim Duncan

karl malone?

:lol

ZaaaaaH
05-21-2014, 12:14 PM
Tim Duncan is Top 10 greatest player and as of now its not even debatable.

Bring some real facts if ya gonna troll.

T_L_P
05-21-2014, 12:15 PM
Tim Duncan is Top 10 greatest player and as of now its not even debatable.

Bring some real facts if ya gonna troll.

He can't.

What's funny is the only decent part of his post is stolen from Sports Illustrated. :oldlol:

JellyBean
05-21-2014, 12:19 PM
You seriously think Karl Malone is one of the ten greatest players ever?

Even Malone's coach, Jerry Sloan, called Duncan the greatest PF ever.

I'm interested to know why you place him so high.

Karl Malone, to me, is one of those greats that as time progress, we forget about their greatness. Karl Malone had 11-13 seasons where he scored 2,000(+) points a season. To me, his longevity, dedication, work ethic, conditioning and defensive abilities gave him the advantage over his peers. His jump shot was money. He should be among the ten greatest players in the NBA.

For the record, I totally forgot to add LeBron James to my list of Ten All-Time greats. :facepalm But I will have to add him. See how hard it is? Somebody on that list will have to be removed.

pastis
05-21-2014, 12:21 PM
Karl Malone, to me, is one of those greats that as time progress, we forget about their greatness. Karl Malone had 11-13 seasons where he scored 2,000(+) points a season. To me, his longevity, dedication, work ethic, conditioning and defensive abilities gave him the advantage over his peers. His jump shot was money. He should be among the ten greatest players in the NBA.

For the record, I totally forgot to add LeBron James to my list of Ten All-Time greats. :facepalm But I will have to add him. See how hard it is? Somebody on that list will have to be removed.

duncan. malone was so huge with a fvcking longevity like you already emphasizes his 13 magnificant seasons.
im not a duncan hater. just real talk. water is wet. td without popovic, manu or parker just 30 all time at best.

T_L_P
05-21-2014, 12:27 PM

That's all fine and dandy, but he never got it done, not even with the necessary help. Duncan won four titles and performed big at times when he wasn't expected to (or at least at that level). That pretty much cancels out the 2011 chokejob, or the 2004 one.

Also, what "defensive abilities" are you referring to? Malone was a good defender at his best. He was never a game changer on that end of the floor.

Malone lost to a 44 win team, then a bunch of 45-48 win teams -- teams that he should have been able to beat.

I really don't see a case for him over Duncan. Duncan has better stats in the Playoffs, over more games, much more individual accomplishments, a more proven peak (Duncan's '03 cast was noticeably worse than most of Malone's), and he had the very rare knack of making everyone better just by being there (only Russell and Magic can say the same). Malone has the longevity on his side, I will admit.

T_L_P
05-21-2014, 12:29 PM
duncan. malone was so huge with a fvcking longevity like you already emphasizes his 13 magnificant seasons.
im not a duncan hater. just real talk. water is wet. td without popovic, manu or parker just 30 all time at best.

And yet you can never make a true case. You post about 1-2 foot baskets and overrated defense without going into specifics.

You are the epitome of the bad viewer. Your insight is about as constructive as a 4-year-old's.

What would Kareem be without Magic? Malone without Stockton? Kobe without Shaq?

These are superstars they got to play with. Duncan and Pop turned a bunch of late rounders into near-stars. Yet he deserves no credit for that?

pastis
05-21-2014, 12:29 PM
That's all fine and dandy, but he never got it done, not even with the necessary help. Duncan won four titles and performed big at times when he wasn't expected to (or at least at that level). That pretty much cancels out the 2011 chokejob, or the 2004 one.

Also, what "defensive abilities" are you referring to? Malone was a good defender at his best. He was never a game changer on that end of the floor.

Malone lost to a 44 win team, then a bunch of 45-48 win teams -- teams that he should have been able to beat.

I really don't see a case for him over Duncan. Duncan has better stats in the Playoffs, over more games, much more individual accomplishments, a more proven peak (Duncan's '03 cast was noticeably worse than most of Malone's), and he had the very rare knack of making everyone better just by being there (only Russell and Magic can say the same). Malone has the longevity on his side, I will admit.

no DIrk you unfunny b1atch? to say this for duncan is alrady funny, but not to mention DIrk? you are ridicoulus in love. hopefully his .....tasting good for yoz

pastis
05-21-2014, 12:31 PM
And yet you can never make a true case. You post about 1-2 foot baskets and overrated defense without going into specifics.

You are the epitome of the bad viewer. Your insight is about as constructive as a 4-year-old's.

little troll. im right and you know it.

T_L_P
05-21-2014, 12:31 PM
no DIrk you unfunny b1atch? to say this for duncan is alrady funny, but not to mention DIrk? you are ridicoulus in love. hopefully his .....tasting good for yoz

No, not Dirk. How does Dirk make his teammates better on both ends of the floor?

pastis
05-21-2014, 12:32 PM
No, not Dirk. How does Dirk make his teammates better on both ends of the floor?

you really asking this question?:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

T_L_P
05-21-2014, 12:32 PM
little troll. im right and you know it.

Not at all. Your 1-2 foot baskets posts are always the funniest though, because I posted a video in '06 of Duncan being doubled whenever he got the ball.

1-2 open baskets my ass. :roll:

20Four
05-21-2014, 12:33 PM
Milbuck just use your regular name....why keep using your ALT? :facepalm :cletus:

ZaaaaaH
05-21-2014, 12:36 PM

I agree no doubt any players who does that should get extra brownie points in the All Time list but sorry bra TD just been a much better player without a question. There is also a reason why Stockton is THE all time assist leader because Karl benefited from Stockton a lot, vice versa.

LBJ is knocking but not Top 10 yet. If he wins this year no doubt his in that list without a question.

Only thing I can say negative about Duncans career is not being able to repeat and thats it.

Kids saying Duncan was not even best player 05 and 07 :facepalm
Honest speaking Duncan should of got FMVP 07 no way TP was move valuable then TD.

T_L_P
05-21-2014, 12:38 PM
I agree no doubt any players who does that should get extra brownie points in the All Time list but sorry bra TD just been a much better player without a question. There is also a reason why Stockton is THE all time assist leader because Karl benefited from Stockton a lot, vice versa.

LBJ is knocking but not Top 10 yet. If he wins this year no doubt his in that list without a question.

Only thing I can say negative about Duncans career is not being able to repeat and thats it.

Honest speaking Duncan should of got FMVP 07 no way TP was move valuable then TD.

I don't know what it is with this recent influx. They've all made accounts this year, and they all post the same shit.

Is it really insecure Kobe stans looking to knock players down? If so, that's pretty pathetic. That's you, pastis.

pastis
05-21-2014, 12:38 PM

if so, so dirk had to be goat by comparison. :applause: :applause:

TheMarkMadsen
05-21-2014, 12:39 PM

Manu was clearly the better player in the 05 finals

Parker 07 FMVP

99* is a joke year that has a asterisk not just in the minds of Internet peeps..

T_L_P
05-21-2014, 12:40 PM

What does this post even mean?

pastis
05-21-2014, 12:40 PM

Parker 07 FMVP

99* is a joke year that has a asterisk not just in the minds of Internet peeps..

wow never thought i would agree with you:applause: :applause:

pastis
05-21-2014, 12:41 PM
What does this post even mean?

if manu wasnt the best player in 05 and parker in 07 but TD, so Dirk has to be the GOAT basketball player ever by comparison.

T_L_P
05-21-2014, 12:41 PM

Parker 07 FMVP

Do you make a habit of changing the words of the post?

He said the years '05 and '07, not just the Finals.

Also, what sort of rationale is it to say Manu was clearly better in '05 yet give Parker the same treatment because he won the Finals MVP? Duncan won it in '05, so by your standards he was better. :roll:

T_L_P
05-21-2014, 12:42 PM
if manu wasnt the best player in 05 and parker in 07 but TD, so Dirk has to be the GOAT basketball player ever by comparison.

You see, I still can't even understand this. Because Manu or TP wasn't better than Duncan Dirk is now the GOAT?

TheMarkMadsen
05-21-2014, 12:47 PM
Do you make a habit of changing the words of the post?

He said the years '05 and '07, not just the Finals.

Also, what sort of rationale is it to say Manu was clearly better in '05 yet give Parker the same treatment because he won the Finals MVP? Duncan won it in '05, so by your standards he was better. :roll:

Manu & Parker outplayed Duncan in the 05 & 07 finals respectively

Both deserved FMVP

ZaaaaaH
05-21-2014, 12:48 PM

:confusedshrug:

Dirk was not even close to being in TD's level those years.

Artillery
05-21-2014, 12:50 PM

Parker 07 FMVP

'00 - Shaq Finals MVP
'01 - Shaq Finals MVP again
'02* King's series rigged.
'09* - Every team the Lakers played was injured. Weakest playoff run in NBA history. No KG, no Yao, no Jameer.
'10 - Choked in game 7. 6-24 performance. Gasol should have been Finals MVP.

pastis
05-21-2014, 12:51 PM
:confusedshrug:

Dirk was not even close to being in TD's level those years.

05 and 07? WHAT THE FVKC? JUST WHAT THE FVCK?

come on, thats just unfair and not funny little troll. just not funny. if you say TD better than Dirk in 99 - Ok, in 00- Ok, 01- Ok, 02 - Ok, 03 - NO, 04-14 -NO ridiculous to even thing that duncan was better in 05 and 07. what a moron. EVEN TLP cant deny that DIrk was better in 05 and 07, incredible to even dream about that.

ZaaaaaH
05-21-2014, 12:56 PM

Parker 07 FMVP

05 Manu was "Clearly" better? LOL you smoking dirt now?

If you watched the dam games you will know TD was much more valuable then TP vs the Cavs.

Stop smoking dirt kid its not good for you.

SCdac
05-21-2014, 12:58 PM
So many people have gotten trolled in this thread :facepalm

T_L_P
05-21-2014, 01:02 PM

come on, thats just unfair and not funny little troll. just not funny. if you say TD better than Dirk in 99 - Ok, in 00- Ok, 01- Ok, 02 - Ok, 03 - NO, 04-14 -NO ridiculous to even thing that duncan was better in 05 and 07. what a moron. EVEN TLP cant deny that DIrk was better in 05 and 07, incredible to even dream about that.

In the three games that Duncan played against Dirk in the '03 WCF, here's what the two put up:

Duncan: 35 / 18 / 6 / 3
Dirk: 25 / 11 / 2 / 1 / 1

Dirk in the '03 Playoffs: 25/12/2/1/1
Duncan in the '03 Playoffs: 25/15/5/1/3

Yeah, Dirk was so much better.

Also, Duncan was definitely better than Dirk in the '07 Playoffs.

More :facepalm from you.

Jlamb47
05-21-2014, 01:14 PM

your a troll dude just stop posting

everyone and there momma knows Duncan over Dirk

ur looking very stupid on here

TheMarkMadsen
05-21-2014, 01:21 PM
05 Manu was "Clearly" better? LOL you smoking dirt now?

If you watched the dam games you will know TD was much more valuable then TP vs the Cavs.

Stop smoking dirt kid its not good for you.

Duncan 05 finals: 21ppg on 47% TS

Manu 05 finals: 19ppg on 64% TS

Duncan 07 finals: 18ppg on 48% TS

Parker 07 finals: 25ppg on 60% TS

Here have some dirt

Jlamb47
05-21-2014, 01:23 PM

Here have some dirt

maybe you odnt know basketball either.
basketball is played 2 ways
offense is one
defense is the other

duncan was the defense anchor and was doubled in 05 finals at times. and how about include other stats ? like rebounds assist steals blocks and then tell us they were better

your not helping ur thread

DMAVS41
05-21-2014, 01:25 PM
Why are Kobe fans, of all people, talking about another player being outplayed by a teammate in the finals?

Kobe has been the best player on his team in 3 of his 7 finals appearances.

T_L_P
05-21-2014, 01:29 PM
offense is one
defense is the other

duncan was the defense anchor and was doubled in 05 finals at times. and how about include other stats ? like rebounds assist steals blocks and then tell us they were better

It's not even about stats in '05. Popovich and Larry Brown both said Duncan won them game seven. And Manu tried to win game 6 by himself even though the Pistons were stopping him.

That sort of stuff needs to be taken into account.

TheMarkMadsen
05-21-2014, 01:31 PM
offense is one
defense is the other

Manu had more assist & more steals, Duncan had more rebounds and blocks :confusedshrug:

A 7 footer grabs more rebounds than a guard, shocking..

Manu was the reason they won that series, he was their best offensive player and most impactful player throughout the series..

Duncan, as a 7 footer shooting 42% from the field is pathetic.

Jlamb47
05-21-2014, 01:32 PM
It's not even about stats in '05. Popovich and Larry Brown both said Duncan won them game seven. And Manu tried to win game 6 by himself even though the Pistons were stopping him.

That sort of stuff needs to be taken into account.

yeah i know, Duncan in 05 was the best player thats no doubt.

Jlamb47
05-21-2014, 01:34 PM
Manu had more assist & more steals, Duncan had more rebounds and blocks :confusedshrug:

Manu was the reason they won that series, he was their best offensive player and most impactful player throughout the series..

Ben Wallace was gaurding Tim , and hes one of the best post defenders. Duncna and ginobli won that series

Plus game 5 duncan snapped

T_L_P
05-21-2014, 01:37 PM

Duncan being doubled almost constantly by the best defensive big in the game and Sheed had nothing to do with his poor shooting, or Manu's ability to get easier shots? Remember the open three he got in game 7? Obviously you don't, but it's because Duncan was being doubled.) And Duncan held down the paint single-handedly. Pop and Brown both said he won them game 7.

Artillery
05-21-2014, 01:39 PM

Kobe's numbers against that same Pistons team the year before:

22.6ppg on 45%TS.

Got to give credit to Manu. He lit up the Pistons while Kobe chucked his team's chances away. Props to Ginobili - definitely the best shooting guard of the mid-2000s(until Wade). Kobe's an afterthought compared to these two(who value teamwork over individual stats)

Here have some dirt

Parker wasn't even the 2nd best player on the Spurs that year. Total playoff numbers for the 2007 Spurs:

Duncan:

22/12/3/3
27.4 PER
.214 WS/48

Ginobili:

16.7/5.5/3.7/1.7
21.9 PER
.204 WS/48

Parker:

19.9/3.4/5.8
18.7 PER
.100 WS/48

TheMarkMadsen
05-21-2014, 01:42 PM
Ben Wallace was gaurding Tim , and hes one of the best post defenders. Duncna and ginobli won that series

Can't just rack it up to that considering 2 years later in the finals Duncan put up another miserable 48% TS.. Who was guarding him then?

Duncan's missed put back in game 5 and almost/should have cost them the series.

T_L_P
05-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Can't just rack it up to that considering 2 years later in the finals Duncan put up another miserable 48% TS.. Who was guarding him then?

Duncan's missed put back in game 5 and almost/should have cost them the series.

Big Z and Varejao, yet again a hefty amount of doubles.

ZaaaaaH
05-21-2014, 01:44 PM

LOL :roll: :roll:

You're not a bad troll at all :applause:

Only clear year Dirk was better then TD was 2012

05-07 No Doubt TD was better and its not even close.

Do you even know what TD does on the defensive end that Dirk just can not match as a big men?

Please Troll harder its funny :oldlol:

ZaaaaaH
05-21-2014, 01:46 PM

Here have some dirt

LOL :applause: Lets nit pick stats.

Like I said go watch the game kid.

Troll me harder please

TheMarkMadsen
05-21-2014, 01:46 PM
Big Z and Varejao, yet again a hefty amount of doubles.

:roll: :roll:

Big Z & Andy V ??

Shit what was I thinking expecting the almighty Tim Duncan to get above 50% TS against these legends of the game.

Jlamb47
05-21-2014, 01:47 PM
Kobe's numbers against that same Pistons team the year before:

22.6ppg on 45%TS.

Got to give credit to Manu. He lit up the Pistons while Kobe chucked his team's chances away. Props to Ginobili - definitely the best shooting guard of the mid-2000s(until Wade). Kobe's an afterthought compared to these two(who value teamwork over individual stats)

Parker wasn't even the 2nd best player on the Spurs that year. Total playoff numbers for the 2007 Spurs:

Duncan:

22/12/3/3
27.4 PER
.214 WS/48

Ginobili:

16.7/5.5/3.7/1.7
21.9 PER
.204 WS/48

Parker:

19.9/3.4/5.8
18.7 PER
.100 WS/48

umm yes give ginboli credit and im a spurs fan
but u have to understand ginobli got easier shots then Kobe due to Duncan. kobe was the 1st option and was doubled all the time. ginboli got played 1 on 1 and he had alot more open looks

T_L_P
05-21-2014, 01:50 PM

Big Z & Andy V ??

Shit what was I thinking expecting the almighty Tim Duncan to get above 50% TS against these legends of the game.

You clearly put very little thought in this.

That series was won because Duncan and Bowen shut LeBron down.

But yes, let's just talk offense. And being doubled by any two players does something to a player. That's the whole point.

TheMarkMadsen
05-21-2014, 01:57 PM
You clearly put very little thought in this.

That series was won because Duncan and Bowen shut LeBron down.

But yes, let's just talk offense. And being doubled by any two players does something to a player. That's the whole point.

Wallace played Duncan straight up..

Gooden played Duncan straight up for the most part.

Artillery
05-21-2014, 01:58 PM
umm yes give ginboli credit and im a spurs fan
but u have to understand ginobli got easier shots then Kobe due to Duncan.

Kobe was playing next to prime Shaq against the Pistons. No excuse for his poor performance.

kobe was the 1st option and was doubled all the time. ginboli got played 1 on 1 and he had alot more open looks

Ginobili was getting easier shots because he was playing within the team. Kobe was gunning for Finals MVP and cost the Lakers the title in the process. Replace Bryant with Manu in the '04 Finals and Lakers win the title. Shaq would have his 5th title and another Finals MVP.

SidekickBe is one of the more overrated players in NBA history though. You could replace him with numerous players(Carter, TMac, Ginobili) and Lakers still threepeat. That's how dominant prime Shaq was.

riseagainst
05-21-2014, 01:59 PM
Kobe was playing next to prime Shaq against the Pistons. No excuse for his poor performance.

Ginobili was getting easier shots because he was playing within the team. Kobe was gunning for Finals MVP and cost the Lakers the title in the process. Replace Bryant with Manu in the '04 Finals and Lakers win the title. Shaq would have his 5th title and another Finals MVP.

SidekickBe is one of the more overrated players in NBA history though. You could replace him with numerous players(Carter, TMac, Ginobili) and Lakers still threepeat. That's how dominant prime Shaq was.

:roll:

T_L_P
05-21-2014, 02:00 PM

Wallace played Duncan straight up. :roll:

Where the **** do you get this shit?

The Spurs won game 7 because of Duncan's passes out of the double team.

Jlamb47
05-21-2014, 02:00 PM

Lol str8 up?
dud ewas doubled alot of them games, not every possession but definetly doubled.

TheMarkMadsen
05-21-2014, 02:02 PM
Lol str8 up?
dud ewas doubled alot of them games, not every possession but definetly doubled.

Not nearly as much as TLP would like people to think

BlackVVaves
05-21-2014, 02:05 PM
Why hasn't OP been banned yet?

What does he contribute to the forum?

He's a troll and he isn't even good at that :oldlol:

Artillery
05-21-2014, 02:11 PM

'05 Manu>>>>>'00,'01,'02 SidekickBe

Kirby was exposed against the Pistons while Manu straight up dominated them. Definitely a better defender than Kobe too.

riseagainst
05-21-2014, 02:15 PM
'05 Manu>>>>>'00,'01,'02 SidekickBe

Kirby was exposed against the Pistons while Manu straight up dominated them. Definitely a better defender than Kobe too.

TheMarkMadsen
05-21-2014, 02:24 PM
"Wallace played him straight up."

Now it's completely different. :facepalm

Wallace played him straight up, you act like Duncan was doubled every play, he wasn't.

Fact is he was outplayed both series by his own, lesser caliber teammates.

Do you realize how pathetic it is for a big man, especially a big man who gets called the goat power forward to shoot 47 & 48 TS?

This guy averages 18ppg on 48% TS while having a teammate who dropped 25 on 60% TS and yet Duncan gets all the credit.

You have this guy in your top 5 all time but yet you use Drew Gooden as an exuse for why Duncan played terribly offensively against a weak ass cavs team?

Duncan has never led a team to b2b titles, let alone b2b finals and you have this guy top 5?

It's already been proven how much tony, Manu, Pop & the rest of the spurs mean to the succes of the team when Duncan can turn into a 13/9 role player and the spurs still easily won 60 games..

His longevity is overrated aswell due in large part to playing on stacked teams for the past 8 years allowing him to save himself and rest while his teams still finish with the top record..

Duncan was 29 the last time he played 35 mpg.. Duncan has 7 season of 35 mpg.. Compare that to a guy like Kobe who has 14 seasons of 35+ minutes per game on top of the grind of making it to multiple finals and you begin to see why Duncan's longevity isn't as impressive as others..

Duncan's a great player, top 10 all time, but is overrated by a lot of people.

ZaaaaaH
05-21-2014, 02:24 PM

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Mollys hurting ur memories bro ...

T_L_P
05-21-2014, 02:26 PM
This guy averages 18ppg on 48% TS while having a teammate who dropped 25 on 60% TS and yet Duncan gets all the credit.

Parker won the FMVP you idiot. :facepalm

You gonna tell me Parker was the best player on that '07 team?

Also, what happened the season he had 13/9? Oh yeah, first round exit. Then what happened when he became All-NBA first team again? Oh yeah, the Finals.

Talking as if Duncan in the Playoffs has been a role player for ages. You Kobetards can never differentiate between the two stages, probably because Kobe always performs worse come Playoff time.

Winning back to back is so abritary and meaningless. All it means in Kobe's case was that he could only win when he had the best player in the league and the best frontcourt in the league. Winning in 00, 01, and 02 is no different from winning in 04, 06 and 08. Bird never repeated. He's in everyone's top 5.

TheMarkMadsen
05-21-2014, 02:30 PM

So that's all you wanna address from my post? :lol

Parker was the best player in that series, impact wise he wasnt as far behind Duncan as you'd like to think, Duncan was the teams best player, but Parker wasnt far behind at all, he led the team in assist and was a 20ppg scorer throughout the playoffs

Artillery
05-21-2014, 02:30 PM

Impact stats agree with me:

Kobe's career defensive RAPM: -0.9
Ginobli's career defensive RAPM: 1.7

Kobe's been a net negative on defense his entire career. Ginobili's been a solid defender his entire career. Kobe having a reputation as a two-way player is probably the biggest injustice in basketball. All the stats indicate he never played defense.

TheMarkMadsen
05-21-2014, 02:33 PM

Also, what happened the season he had 13/9? Oh yeah, first round exit. Then what happened when he became All-NBA first team again? Oh yeah, the Finals.

Talking as if Duncan in the Playoffs has been a role player for ages. You Kobetards can never differentiate between the two stages, probably because Kobe always performs worse come Playoff time.

Winning back to back is so abritary and meaningless. All it means in Kobe's case was that he could only win when he had the best player in the league and the best frontcourt in the league. Winning in 00, 01, and 02 is no different from winning in 04, 06 and 08. Bird never repeated. He's in everyone's top 5.

"Winning b2b titles is meaningless"

I'm done with this guy

Artillery
05-21-2014, 02:34 PM
His longevity is overrated aswell due in large part to playing on stacked teams for the past 8 years allowing him to save himself and rest while his teams still finish with the top record..

Duncan was 29 the last time he played 35 mpg.. Duncan has 7 season of 35 mpg.. Compare that to a guy like Kobe who has 14 seasons of 35+ minutes per game on top of the grind of making it to multiple finals and you begin to see why Duncan's longevity isn't as impressive as others..

:oldlol: Comparing Kobe's longevity to Duncan. 35 year old Kobe can't even walk right now while 38 year old Duncan's leading his team in scoring in the conference Finals.

T_L_P
05-21-2014, 02:34 PM
"Winning b2b titles is meaningless"

I'm done with this guy

Make the case why it is. How does winning 3 straight then none for 3 years beat one every other year for 6 years? Like I said, in Kobe's case it just proves he could only get it done when he had the best team in the league.

Fudge
05-21-2014, 02:40 PM
Is TLP being stupid again or nah?

3peated
05-21-2014, 02:47 PM
has anyone ever suggested that you burn your book?

INDI
05-21-2014, 04:22 PM
As a lifelong Spurs fan, I think Tim Duncan is one of the most overrated players in NBA history. He’s probably top 15 in terms of accomplishments, but in terms of 5-7 year prime/peak span, I don’t think he was ever better than Ewing, Hakeem, or Robinson – all of whom I think were light years better than him. They all split All-NBA and All-Defensive selections during the primes of their respective careers.

I never really watched Ewing too closely, but Robinson was literally better than Duncan at everything. He was bigger, stronger, and faster. He was way quicker and had more offensive power. On defense, he was comparable to Wilt. Hakeem abused Ewing, Shaq, and Robinson in their primes. I don’t think I need to say anymore.

Even in his own generation, he was neck and neck with Garnett, yet we don't hear anyone placing KG top 10. I’m hesitant to compare him to Dirk since their games are different (and when you factor in the defense, I think you have to give the nod to Duncan). I just don’t want to place too much emphasis on team accomplishments when ranking players (although titles are important).

Was on the same plane with Ewing today. Ridiculously tall he looked uncomfortable in his chair

DMAVS41
05-21-2014, 04:27 PM

Why would you laugh at that?

It would depend on the years in question, but Manu was a very good defender in his prime.

He wasn't ever 00 Kobe level in my opinion, but after 03...Manu played better defense if you ask me.

pastis
05-21-2014, 04:33 PM
Wallace played him straight up, you act like Duncan was doubled every play, he wasn't.

Do you realize how pathetic it is for a big man, especially a big man who gets called the goat power forward to shoot 47 & 48 TS?

You have this guy in your top 5 all time but yet you use Drew Gooden as an exuse for why Duncan played terribly offensively against a weak ass cavs team?

Duncan has never led a team to b2b titles, let alone b2b finals and you have this guy top 5?

It's already been proven how much tony, Manu, Pop & the rest of the spurs mean to the succes of the team when Duncan can turn into a 13/9 role player and the spurs still easily won 60 games..

:applause: :applause: :applause:

rmt
05-21-2014, 04:54 PM

Fact is that Pop, Parker, Ben Wallace and Larry Brown don't agree with you.

With his unique multidimensional talent, Duncan depleted and dissected the Pistons, collecting 25 points and 11 rebounds. He was the fulcrum of virtually every key play down the stretch.

"His complete game is so sound, so fundamnetal, so unnoticed at times, because if he didn't score, people think, 'Well, he didn't do anything,'" Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "But he was incredible and he was the force that got it done for us."

"You follow your leader," Spurs guard Tony Parker said. "Timmy is the leader of the team, and he just carried us tonight."

"They just kept coming to me and kept giving me the opportunities and I got one to fall in and two to fall in and things started happening," said Duncan, who made 10-of-27 shots. "Then I was able to draw some double-teams and got some guys some open shots."

"He put his team on his shoulders and carried them to a championship," Pistons center Ben Wallace said. "That's what the great players do."

With the game on the verge of getting away from the Spurs in the third quarter, Duncan reeled it back in with 12 points in the last six-plus minutes, decimating Detroit's foul-depleted defense.

On one possession, Duncan passed out of a double-team to Horry, tracked down his missed 3-pointer, drew another double-team and found Bruce Bowen for a 3-pointer and a 67-61 advantage.

"You could tell when he caught the ball, how much more physical he was, getting in position and bumping and grinding and getting shots and making sure he got toward the rim, so that when people came at him he was in good position to open up a teammate," Popovich said.

After a basket by Billups, Duncan again burned a double-team with a pass to Ginobili for a 3-pointer.

"A lot of the shots they made, open shots, came as a result of us having a hard time guarding him," Brown said. "That's why he's such a great player."

http://web.archive.org/web/20090219212308/http://www.nba.com/games/20050623/DETSAS/recap.html

GODbe
05-21-2014, 05:19 PM
He's always been pretty much Pau Gasol but with a stacked team. I dont see why people would even think he has any business in a top 5 :facepalm

pastis
05-21-2014, 05:20 PM
He's always been pretty much Pau Gasol but with a stacked team. I dont see why people would even think he has any business in a top 5 :facepalm

agree

Artillery
05-21-2014, 05:24 PM

High praise considering Pau carried SidekickBe to two rings.

rmt
05-21-2014, 05:29 PM
Kobe stans out in full force - nothing to do, I guess.

robert_shaww
05-21-2014, 05:45 PM
10-27 :facepalm

Jlamb47
05-21-2014, 05:59 PM
10-27 :facepalm

robert shaw :facepalm

Round Mound
05-21-2014, 07:35 PM
I have him in the Top 15. Prime Barkley > Duncan or Malone.

Nastradamus
05-21-2014, 07:39 PM
:facepalm

This is why it's near impossible to have a rational conversation about Tim Duncan. Half the idiots think he's a borderline role player, the other idiots overrate the shit out of him.

2nd best defensive rating of all time, by a hair, to Gar Heard who played less than half the minutes in the NBA.

robert_shaww
05-21-2014, 08:44 PM
I have him in the Top 15. Prime Barkley > Duncan or Malone.

exactly...imagine prime barkley playing with ginobili parker and smart role players like barry, horry, bowen, leonard...and the goat coach....:bowdown: :bowdown: