PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the NBA age minimum?

insidehoops
05-22-2014, 03:56 AM
Adam Silver wants it raised: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=15925

Higher, lower, stay the same? What do you think

RoundMoundOfReb
05-22-2014, 04:02 AM
Don't like it. It's not like players who were being drafted out of high school had a high bust rate or anything either.

plowking
05-22-2014, 04:04 AM
If you're good enough to play in the league when you're 10 years old, then you're good enough. No age limit is the best way.

Asukal
05-22-2014, 04:07 AM
I like it, the extra year certainly helps development of young players. It would produce more NBA ready rookies.

Simple Jack
05-22-2014, 04:16 AM
The reasons for its imposition are obvious but I'm not sure I agree. It'll just exacerbate the NCAA problem even further, which already severely restricts the liberties of these soon-to-be pros. If a kid wants to come out of high-school, what harm is really done?

Is it in regards to education? How many of these prospects who would likely be drafted out of high-school are actually interested in their education? It's not as if the option of furthering one's education is being taken away completely anyway. A no-age-limit system would just allow them to decide which is more important to them rather than to have the decision made for them.

Is it in regards to player maturity? If that's the case, the draft should take care of that. With any pick in the draft, this trait will likely get factored into the overall analysis of the player. If anything, having no-age-limit will tests the scouts a bit more and make the draft even more exciting. Do you get with the kobe-type player who's clearly skilled out of his mind but may be immature with a necessary maturation phase, or do you go with the guy who may not have that same ceiling of talent, but just killed it in college? To me, it just adds to the fun of scouting players and drafting.

If anything, the NBA should utilize it's D-League more; it is after all, the developmental league.

On a side note, it would be dope if there was a league strictly for young prospects between 18-20, set up like the NBA. A draft would be done yearly for kids coming out of high school, and they'd play in a regular season (not as many games of course) and playoffs. This would allow the top prospects to play against each other in a much more competitive league than the NCAA, and give scouts a better opportunity to view these players in a more competitive atmosphere. NBA could also use this league to mentor players, develop maturity, etc...They also wouldn't be restricted from making money off their name and likeness like they currently are in the NCAA. This is extremely unrealistic but how great would it be to see teams loaded with young prospects play in an ultra-competitive league linked with the NBA? I know I'd watch that shit religiously unlike my current apathetic attitude towards NCAA.

unknowns8
05-22-2014, 04:30 AM
I'm a fan of it going up to the drinking age of some states i.e 21

college rivalries between players built up over years would flow over into the league and make NBA games now more interesting to watch. Games with players who have had many battles that have brewed over time (think Jordan v Ewing), u know the game is NOT going to lack intensity

think of it like this ... if Bron, Melo, Wade, Bosh all had to play play college ball for 3 years then in that time it'd likely be against (to name a few) Bogut, Howard, Jefferson, Paul, Willliams, Monta!

surely our league now would be more interesting as a result yeah ...

unknowns8
05-22-2014, 04:32 AM
On a side note, it would be dope if there was a league strictly for young prospects between 18-20, set up like the NBA. A draft would be done yearly for kids coming out of high school, and they'd play in a regular season (not as many games of course) and playoffs. This would allow the top prospects to play against each other in a much more competitive league than the NCAA, and give scouts a better opportunity to view these players in a more competitive atmosphere. NBA could also use this league to mentor players, develop maturity, etc...They also wouldn't be restricted from making money off their name and likeness like they currently are in the NCAA. This is extremely unrealistic but how great would it be to see teams loaded with young prospects play in an ultra-competitive league linked with the NBA? I know I'd watch that shit religiously unlike my current apathetic attitude towards NCAA.

I'd thoroughly support that concept, good call mate :cheers:

Undisputed
05-22-2014, 04:38 AM
I just want to watch basketball. Let these morons with suits worry about the stupid details.

GimmeThat
05-22-2014, 04:46 AM
I won't get into depth of this, but I think there had been a huge phenomenom since what happened in the early days of high schoolers going straight pro. There went through a time where players as young as middle school/high school were being scouted by "basketball scouts" especially that of future endorsement companies. Then we went through the great age of high schoolers to pro and not pan out phase, which before it happened, the one and done was set in, which still didn't really stop the process.

Have companies stop scouting into young players and hoping to sign the next big deal before they even hit it big? it appears so.

Does that mean we should lower the minimum wage for NBA because some players just wants to be in the league?

That's a matter of how the NBA wants to do its quality control, since I think that once the minimum wage is dropped, the flood of international players might reappear.

But as for a college coach to his player, I would say that until you think that you have dominated the college level, which of course, includes skills, I wouldn't understand the jump to NBA based on pure "potential" unless there's a strong need for a paycheck at home.

bdreason
05-22-2014, 04:53 AM
The NBA should create a rule that allows teams to "redshirt" players under 20 years old. Maybe the players salary wouldn't count against the cap, and perhaps their contract could be back-loaded with team options. This would allow players to enter the NBA at the age of 18, but would also allow teams to develop young players without feeling the need for them to produce immediately.

Cocaine80s
05-22-2014, 04:56 AM
Lower it to 16.

bdreason
05-22-2014, 04:57 AM

It's called the NBA D-League, and nobody takes it seriously. The problem is money. Players will real talent that aren't in the NBA can make more money in Asia or Europe than playing for peanuts in the D-League.

Adam Silver
05-22-2014, 04:58 AM
Adam Silver wants it raised: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=15925

Higher, lower, stay the same? What do you think

This is just a stepping stone in the direction of the ultimate goal: 4 year degrees or 22 years old.

Artillery
05-22-2014, 05:09 AM
There should be no age limit. This is basically a scam so NCAA can keep making money off these guys instead of them bolting to the NBA after one year.

Ball So Harden
05-22-2014, 05:18 AM
There should be no age limit. This is basically a scam so NCAA can keep making money off these guys instead of them bolting to the NBA after one year.

So, how do you feel about 15 year olds being signed by teams and them dropping out of high school hoping to get groomed by an NBA team that sees potential in them?

Sarcastic
05-22-2014, 05:35 AM
Should be 18, the legal age to work.

If people are ok with an 11 year old girl playing in the Women's US Open of golf, then they should be ok with 18 year olds in the NBA.

Ball So Harden
05-22-2014, 05:40 AM
Should be 18, the legal age to work.

If people are ok with an 11 year old girl playing in the Women's US Open of golf, then they should be ok with 18 year olds in the NBA.

Legal age to work is 16 in the US.

Sarcastic
05-22-2014, 05:46 AM
Legal age to work is 16 in the US.

Depends on the work. 18 is the age in which parent's permission is no longer needed. A 16 year old is not allowed to work in a factory for example.

Ball So Harden
05-22-2014, 05:47 AM
Depends on the work. 18 is the age in which parent's permission is no longer needed. A 16 year old is not allowed to work in a factory for example.

I had a job without parent permission :confusedshrug:

DukeDelonte13
05-22-2014, 07:53 AM
age limit protects the league from stupid teams blowing their wads on unproven guys.

I like where it's at now, let the prospects play 1 year of college, d-league, or international and see where they really stack up.

Sarcastic
05-22-2014, 08:32 AM
age limit protects the league from stupid teams blowing their wads on unproven guys.

I like where it's at now, let the prospects play 1 year of college, d-league, or international and see where they really stack up.

No it doesn't. Age limit didn't stop the Cavs from drafting Anthony Bennett. Teams will make bad decisions one way or the other. Age limit just reduces allows teams to pay less for development years, and control the players for more of their good prime years.

Draz
05-22-2014, 08:34 AM
21. It makes sense maybe at 20 to give them a year to come closer to their potential and meet their NBA standards but I would stay safe at 21. Remember it might even help veterans because they can control the tempo, know how to play defense on the younger men. It'll be a good experience.

ZenMaster
05-22-2014, 08:40 AM
The quality of basketball in both the NBA and NCAA would be better because of it, so I can only be all for it.

Sarcastic
05-22-2014, 08:44 AM
The only way I see the Union accepting a raise in age would be if the league allowed players to become unrestricted free agents after only 4 years instead of the current 7 years. Making a player wait till 27 or 28 means he will only get one max free agent contract in his career.

jbryan1984
05-22-2014, 09:37 AM
I think as long as they have a HS diploma, and are over 18, they should be able to play. I've been to college, unless you have an insane talent in sports or doing something medical, you are just shelling money out to apply places far away......

DukeDelonte13
05-22-2014, 11:16 AM
No it doesn't. Age limit didn't stop the Cavs from drafting Anthony Bennett. Teams will make bad decisions one way or the other. Age limit just reduces allows teams to pay less for development years, and control the players for more of their good prime years.

AB put up 16/8 his freshman season in college though.. Kinda different versus a guy right out of HS. busts will happen regardless.

Nash
05-22-2014, 11:20 AM
It's shit for variety of reason. The most obvious one would be if you're good enough then you are good enough.

But more importantly, there is no need for players who are NBA ready to spend 1 full year competing against college scrubs were 90% of the players they go up against don't even make it professionally. Andrew Wiggins, Parker and the rest of those guys would benefit more from playing against professionals than playing against kids in college.

Imagine if we had mandatory 3 years in college, that would mean that Kyrie Irving would make his NBA debut after the summer. You honestly want to tell me that a 22 year old Kyrie with 3 year college experience is better player than Kyrie, 22 year old with 3 year NBA experience?

Forget about diplomas and shit like that, let's be real. This is not a real job, it is a sport. In soccer you got guys coming from the streets of africa playing football at the highest level without anybody asking about their maturity or any of the BS people talk about.

fpliii
05-22-2014, 11:20 AM
I'd prefer an increase so we see fewer raw/unpolished prospects coming into the league, but I don't know where the sweet spot is. 20 or 21 I guess?

fpliii
05-22-2014, 11:22 AM
**** ncaa. damn nazi jew fgts always want blacks for money
:lol

MavsSuperFan
05-22-2014, 11:48 AM
no to either a max or min age limit.

If you're good enough to play, your good enough to play. America is a capitalistic society.

Clyde
05-22-2014, 12:22 PM
2 years of college minimum or 21 years of age.

I'd love to see that happen, and i think it will.

ZenMaster
05-22-2014, 12:30 PM
I'd prefer an increase so we see fewer raw/unpolished prospects coming into the league, but I don't know where the sweet spot is. 20 or 21 I guess?

The sweet spot is 2 years in college. One year for getting used to more competition, more games, new teammates and adapting to these new cirumstances.
Then a year where you can advantage of what you've learned in year one while still growing as a player.

ZenMaster
05-22-2014, 12:30 PM
no to either a max or min age limit.

If you're good enough to play, your good enough to play. America is a capitalistic society.

Do you agree with the rookie scale wages then, or should they be done with?

IGOTGAME
05-22-2014, 12:36 PM
its all arbitrary and wouldnt pass an antitrust analysis. think nbapa should not bargain using that as a tool.

knickballer
05-22-2014, 12:39 PM
I say after HS. Half of these idiots are still illiterate by the time they enter the draft or finish their collegiate school so let them do what they are destined to do. Scholarships should only be used on actual "scholar-athletes" and not some illiterate kid just going for half a semester cheating on his dance classes to met the requirements.. It's a disgrace for the programs.

The whole "raising the level of play" is kind of a weak argument considering alot of the players will leave after 1-2 years because of the NBA sanctions on age which will only provide short term solutions for the teams.

And if a HS

ZenMaster
05-22-2014, 12:44 PM
I say after HS. Half of these idiots are still illiterate by the time they enter the draft or finish their collegiate school so let them do what they are destined to do. Scholarships should only be used on actual "scholar-athletes" and not some illiterate kid just going for half a semester cheating on his dance classes to met the requirements.. It's a disgrace for the programs.

The whole "raising the level of play" is kind of a weak argument considering alot of the players will leave after 1-2 years because of the NBA sanctions on age which will only provide short term solutions for the teams.

And if a HS

I don't understand the bolded :confusedshrug:

Simple Jack
05-22-2014, 02:54 PM
It's called the NBA D-League, and nobody takes it seriously. The problem is money. Players will real talent that aren't in the NBA can make more money in Asia or Europe than playing for peanuts in the D-League.

Did you even bother to read what I wrote?

You don't see Wiggins and these guys playing in the D-League. The league I proposed would have all the top prospects from 18-20 playing against each other.

bdreason
05-22-2014, 03:37 PM
Did you even bother to read what I wrote?

You don't see Wiggins and these guys playing in the D-League. The league I proposed would have all the top prospects from 18-20 playing against each other.

1. There aren't enough players age 18-20 to form an entire league.

2. Guys like Wiggins would have to be paid millions, or they would play in an Asian/Europe league instead. No team is going to pay Wiggins millions to play in some 'prospect' league.

tmacattack33
05-22-2014, 03:40 PM
I like it.

I want to see these guys do some work in college before earning themselves a high draft pick.

fatboy11
05-22-2014, 03:44 PM
I'm mostly for the old age limit of 18 years old. One poster early on in the thread asked the question of how many players among the elite prospects are honestly concerned with getting a college degree. That's a good point as obviously very few, if any, of them are interested in that and are likely putting in minimal effort in the 1-4 semesters of college they're attending. And the universities now have become very adept at "helping" these athletes and ensuring they have the necessary GPA to stay eligible. Also, some of these players might be better served to go back and get an education after their playing career is over. I'm a non-traditional student myself and I've been working full-time and going to school for years now. I've found that I've taken more seriously as I've aged. I've always thought education was a horrible talking point for age limit talks. You can get a college degree whenever you want. It's just a matter of getting it for free or paying for it.

There's also a major shock to the system that comes with raising the age limit and making the D-League a bigger player in this whole thing because it's basically going to eliminate the NCAA. I can't image a world without a high-level NCAA hoops and that's what we'd have if the age limit was raised to 21, and maybe even 20, and the NBA decided to pay at least some of these kids more money to play in the D-League. With that said, I think the NBA will look to do whatever they can to avoid pumping more money into the D-League. I think they're resigned to spending a certain amount of player development outside the NBA and D-League, but they likely aren't trying to spend millions on kids out of HS that can't play in the League. I think they'd prefer to keep these kids in the NCAA at no cost and just supplement the NCAA wherever they can to make the players agreeable to playing two years of college ball.

Xiao Yao You
05-22-2014, 07:30 PM
Guys should be able to make a living. College should be for student athletes. Need a minor league system so this is a reality. They appear to be headed that way...very slowly.

Simple Jack
05-24-2014, 06:19 AM
1. There aren't enough players age 18-20 to form an entire league.

2. Guys like Wiggins would have to be paid millions, or they would play in an Asian/Europe league instead. No team is going to pay Wiggins millions to play in some 'prospect' league.

That's the point of this league. And yes there are enough 18-20 prospects. Clearly it's idealized since it's an idea that would never take off, but the problems you suggest are easily taken care of in said league.