PDA

View Full Version : What should the Hornets do at 9?

CLTHornets4eva
05-22-2014, 10:42 AM
With the 9th, 24th and 45th and over $17m in cap room the Hornets have a lot of flexibility after getting Detroit's pick.

What should they do?

Move up, stay there or trade for Hayward, Monroe or even try for Love?

Rake2204
05-22-2014, 10:46 AM
Trading for Monroe would feel like a ransom situation, with Charlotte taking Detroit's pick in the first place and all.

Also, it'd be kind of hilarious on Detroit's end. Trade away your pick. Trade a successful former lottery pick to get that lottery pick back.

Haymaker
05-22-2014, 10:52 AM
Trading for Monroe would feel like a ransom situation, with Charlotte taking Detroit's pick in the first place and all.

Also, it'd be kind of hilarious on Detroit's end. Trade away your pick. Trade a successful former lottery pick to get that lottery pick back.

Which could work for Detroit somehow. They could trade up packaging that pick with Josh Smith's contract. Maybe Celtics would bite?

JonatanRey
05-22-2014, 10:57 AM
They need a PF and Love is not an option since he wont be willing to resign with Charlotte.

I think they got a core capable of getting to the second round in the next two years. If they keep the 9th, they could draft Aaron Gordon or McDermott.

Enough salary cap to sign Deng or Ariza plus a backup guard.

Interesting future.

CLTHornets4eva
05-22-2014, 11:04 AM
Which could work for Detroit somehow. They could trade up packaging that pick with Josh Smith's contract. Maybe Celtics would bite?

Smith is contract cancer and a toxic teammate (or you can strike that and reverse it :oldlol: ). Nobody is dumb enough to make a move for him, besides the Nets or Knicks.

Haymaker
05-22-2014, 11:05 AM
Smith is contract cancer and a toxic teammate (or you can strike that and reverse it :oldlol: ). Nobody is dumb enough to make a move for him, besides the Nets or Knicks.

The Celtics has expressed interest in him for a long time. :rolleyes:

JonatanRey
05-22-2014, 11:06 AM
Detroit would have to pair Josh with a future first round pick a la Ben Gordon. It would be funnier to do that, again with Charlotte.

Kukoc
05-22-2014, 11:12 AM
Knowing the Charlottes recent draft history their should defiently trade for Monroe or Josh Smith

CLTHornets4eva
05-22-2014, 11:13 AM
The Celtics has expressed interest in him for a long time. :rolleyes:

Celtics were interested when he was younger and wasn't completely ruined by bad coaching and a huge annual contract.

If I'm Rich Cho I would use that 24th pick to move up a couple spots. The value at 5-7 is much better than 9. I really like Gordon and Vonleh. I'd draft Randle, Gordon and Vonleh in that order then go hard for Afflalo. I can't really stand how FA is AFTER the draft.

SwishSquared
05-22-2014, 11:58 AM
I'm hoping Charlotte moves in right direction. They need to finally have some luck in regards to nailing the draft. I'd potentially call Chicago to package #9 + #24 + filler for Gibson + #16 + #19 if I were looking for a starting PF on a reasonable deal who could contribute right now. I don't like Smith (at his current contract) or Monroe on this squad (game is too similar to Jefferson). Getting a younger PF through the draft would be ideal, but idk if teams would be willing to trade down. I can see the Lakers potentially doing that, though.

Affalo would be a great addition to the team, though. I'm not sure what it'll take to get him since he's essentially an expiring contract. They should have offered BG's expiring + future pick for Affalo mid-season.

hawksdogsbraves
05-22-2014, 12:43 PM
Celtics were interested when he was younger and wasn't completely ruined by bad coaching and a huge annual contract.

If I'm Rich Cho I would use that 24th pick to move up a couple spots. The value at 5-7 is much better than 9. I really like Gordon and Vonleh. I'd draft Randle, Gordon and Vonleh in that order then go hard for Afflalo. I can't really stand how FA is AFTER the draft.

Good luck, no team in their right mind moves back out of the elite prospect range to get two middling prospects.

CLTHornets4eva
05-22-2014, 01:04 PM
I'm hoping Charlotte moves in right direction. They need to finally have some luck in regards to nailing the draft. I'd potentially call Chicago to package #9 + #24 + filler for Gibson + #16 + #19 if I were looking for a starting PF on a reasonable deal who could contribute right now. I don't like Smith (at his current contract) or Monroe on this squad (game is too similar to Jefferson). Getting a younger PF through the draft would be ideal, but idk if teams would be willing to trade down. I can see the Lakers potentially doing that, though.

Affalo would be a great addition to the team, though. I'm not sure what it'll take to get him since he's essentially an expiring contract. They should have offered BG's expiring + future pick for Affalo mid-season.

They attempted to trade for Afflalo but I'm not sure it was worth trading for a guy you can sign a couple months later. I think the Bulls will use Gibson to try to make a move for Love.

Good luck, no team in their right mind moves back out of the elite prospect range to get two middling prospects.

I don't think 9th is middling in this draft.

Kiddlovesnets
05-22-2014, 01:11 PM
You mean the Pelicans? They will be picking someone like Aaron Gordon.

Uncle Drew
05-22-2014, 01:12 PM
You mean the Pelicans? They will be picking someone like Aaron Gordon.
:facepalm

Kiddlovesnets
05-22-2014, 01:12 PM
:facepalm

Yeah, last time I checked the Hornets already changed their name into the Pelicans. I am not surprised some still call them the Hornets though.

CLTHornets4eva
05-22-2014, 01:24 PM
Yeah, last time I checked the Hornets already changed their name into the Pelicans. I am not surprised some still call them the Hornets though.

I need to catch a game in New Jersey, I've heard its a beautiful place. Nice people too.

Kiddlovesnets
05-22-2014, 01:26 PM
I need to catch a game in New Jersey, I've heard its a beautiful place. Nice people too.

Yeah, if you live in Charlotte how about go watching the Bobcats play?

Burgz V2
05-22-2014, 01:28 PM

youre hilarious.

there you got your attention, now stop with the same lame joke.

CLTHornets4eva
05-22-2014, 01:35 PM

Wow your number of posts is almost the exact same as the average Nets attendance in New Jersey!

D-FENS
05-22-2014, 02:05 PM
Pick 9: Dario Saric
Pick 24: Jordan Adams
Pick 45: DeAndre Kane
Trade: Future 1st lottery protected, Gary Neal for Aaron Afflalo
Sign: Gordon Hayward
Sign: Kirk Hinrich

CT: Jefferson/ Biyombo/ Haywood
PF: McRoberts/ Zeller/ Saric
SF: Hayward/ Kidd-Gilchrist/ Taylor
SG: Afflalo/ Henderson/ Adams
PG: Walker/ Hinrich/ Kane

This plan relies on a lot of internal development from Walker, Zeller, Saric, Biyombo, Hayward, MKG, Adams and Kane.

hangintheair
05-22-2014, 04:20 PM
Pick 9: Dario Saric
Pick 24: Jordan Adams
Pick 45: DeAndre Kane
Trade: Future 1st lottery protected, Gary Neal for Aaron Afflalo
Sign: Gordon Hayward
Sign: Kirk Hinrich

CT: Jefferson/ Biyombo/ Haywood
PF: McRoberts/ Zeller/ Saric
SF: Hayward/ Kidd-Gilchrist/ Taylor
SG: Afflalo/ Henderson/ Adams
PG: Walker/ Hinrich/ Kane

This plan relies on a lot of internal development from Walker, Zeller, Saric, Biyombo, Hayward, MKG, Adams and Kane.

Mean no harm but I d'ont like the Saric pick. It's like Zeller all over again and I think they would wait another year for Saric to play.

I would take a Mcdermott or Aaron Gordon pick.

BuffaloBill
05-22-2014, 04:22 PM
For some reason I thought the OP was talking about the Pelicans. This change is weird.

absalom
05-23-2014, 06:57 AM
No Mcdermott please, if Marcus Smart suddenly became available grab him if not I am intrigued by Zach Lavine gotta watch some tapes because his comp is fellow UCLA player Westbrook.