PDA

View Full Version : Its hillarious that people blame NBA players for choosing to play in better cities

Carter_17
05-22-2014, 05:03 PM
I know that your town is cold and in the middle of nowhere and some superstar playing in your local arena would add the delusion that your life is somehow enjoyable. But those superstars are just human beings. They are forced to play in college for at least 1 year , without getting paid while their schools make millions out of them and after that they are forced to live in a shitty place ( Milwaukee, Cleveland ,Philly , etc) for 3 years getting paid couple of millions pair year while their teams make billions out of them.
And when those 4 years are over and they can finally choose where they want to work , you blaming them for choose to go to Miami, LA , NY because you are still stuck in the snow with hardly 40k per year salary.
All these in the name of "loyalty". But loyalty for what? For their bosses who use them in order to make billions from their desks? For the city which they never choose? Or for the fans who just use their achievments to fill their pointless and boring lifes?

Props to Le bron ( as much as I hate him ) for being smart and choose the easy path and not playing the loyalty game which only benefits shitty teams . Props to Kevin Love who refuses to spend his life in Minesota. Props to Exum for refusing to be forced to spend 3 years of his life somewhere he doesnt want to and forcing his way to LA. Props to Carmelo for living his dream in NY with milions,chicks and fancy life around him while having more vacations than other stars ( still more payroll than them) and more free time due to the lack of Playoffs.

LoneyROY7
05-22-2014, 05:03 PM
:applause:

RagaZ
05-22-2014, 05:05 PM
Why is it not a problem in Football?(Europe).

The_Night_Elf
05-22-2014, 05:08 PM
Props to Carmelo for living his dream in NY with milions,chicks and fancy life around him while having more vacations than other stars ( still more payroll than them) and more free time due to the lack of Playoffs.

:lol

B4llin
05-22-2014, 05:09 PM
Players move to bigger cities because the only chance they have of winning a title is in a big city. How anyone can look at the list of teams who have won the title and think there isn't some correlation between the bigger cities and winning the title is crazy.

Carter_17
05-22-2014, 05:10 PM

Because football is a complete free market. If team Real Madrid wants Messi he just calls Barcelona and make an offer. They don't have to include players in a trade nor to care for a salary cap.

ForeverHeat
05-22-2014, 05:11 PM

Its the same in Football too. London is always a much bigger draw than Manchester.

oarabbus
05-22-2014, 05:11 PM
So then OP why does anyone play anywhere besides NYC, Boston, Miami, Chicago, and LA? Might as well tell the rest of the teams to pack up and shut down :confusedshrug:

BasedTom
05-22-2014, 05:12 PM
Because a random oil baron from Qatar can buy a club and shower its players and staff with millions of dollars compared to the competition.

The NBA has salary caps and other measures to prevent that. Though Prokhorov seems eager to burn his money.

RagaZ
05-22-2014, 05:12 PM
Because football is a complete free market. If team Real Madrid wants Messi he just calls Barcelona and make an offer. They don't have to include players in a trade nor to care for a salary cap.
Yeah, but players can still put in Transfer Requests and ask to leave.

MP.Trey
05-22-2014, 05:13 PM
They are forced to play in college for at least 1 year , without getting paid while their schools make millions out of them

No they're not. They could easily go play professionally overseas for a more than manageable amount of money.

and after that their are forced to live in a shitty place ( Milwaukee, Cleveland ,Philly , etc) for 3 years getting paid couple of millions pair year while their teams make billions out of them.

Getting paid a couple million a year for a job you love to do and the worst thing about it is where you're going to be living for the remainder of your contract that you willingly signed. Sign me up!

And when those 4 years are over and they can finally choose where they want to work , you blaming them for choose to go to Miami, LA , NY because you are still stuck in the snow with hardly 40k per year salary.

I'm not, and I don't know a lot of people who are blaming players for their team choices, and if they are, weather certainly is NOT a factor. And weather/location is obviously a factor, but if it's your main pushing point for leaving/joining a team, then you need to set your priorities straight. Being happy with your role on a team as well as winning should be your main goal. But if you have no passion for the game, then I suppose iot's fine to choose the mosty comfortable living situation over anything else.

All these in the name of "loyalty". But loyalty for what? For their bosses who use them in order to make billions from their desks? For the city which they never choose? Or for the fans who just use their achievments to fill their pointless and boring lifes?

Props to Le bron ( as much as I hate him ) for being smart and choose the easy path and not playing the loyalty game which only benefits shitty teams . Props to Kevin Love who refuses to spend his life in Minesota. Props to Exum for refusing to be forced to spend 3 years of his life somewhere and forcing his way to LA. Props to Carmelo for living his dream in NY with milions,chicks and fancy life around him while having more vacations than other stars ( still more payroll than then) and more free time due to the lack of Playoffs.
Loyalty is a wonderful asset to have. LeBron didn't leave Cleveland because Miami has better weather (sure it was a factor), but he left because Cleveland wasn't getting and couldn't get him the help he wanted/needed. Love doesn't wanna leave because Minneapolis is shitty (sure it could be a reason) but he just wants to get away from that shit franchise. Slightly different situation with Melo but same idea. And I never heard of Exum forcing his way to LA... any validity to this?

Draz
05-22-2014, 05:14 PM
Some of those boring ass cities shouldn't even have teams to begin with.

BasedTom
05-22-2014, 05:15 PM
I'd rather live in the Twin Cities over LA any day of the week. People have different tastes, OP.

If the Twolves made the playoffs and looked like contenders then Love might not even consider LA

Carter_17
05-22-2014, 05:16 PM
Players move to bigger cities because the only chance they have of winning a title is in a big city. How anyone can look at the list of teams who have won the title and think there isn't some correlation between the bigger cities and winning the title is crazy.

Players move to bigger cities because life there is better and usually they can get more money with sponsors, commercials etc. If I give you 25 milion every year guaranteed for the next 5 years , you think you gonna care how much titles you gonna win ? Unless you believe in some kind of after life and you want to "provide for the others" and "return to the society" so jezuz will open the gates of heaven for you. If you don't you should be able to undestand that you are blessed for getting that much money without effort and the best choice is to chill and enjoy them, not to chase meaningless titles and build some pointless "dynasty". Good amount of money in addition with good amount of free time and a place like Miami/LA to live >>>>>>>>>> 50 nba champions and FMVPS while living in Milwaukee.

RagaZ
05-22-2014, 05:16 PM
Its the same in Football too. London is always a much bigger draw than Manchester.
So that's why RVP joined Man United? Look how many players they've bought from Tottenham.

It's different in Football.

CeilingFan#1
05-22-2014, 05:18 PM
I didn't know New York is a warm place to live. Thanks for enlightening me, OP.

Carter_17
05-22-2014, 05:18 PM
No they're not. They could easily go play professionally overseas for a more than manageable amount of money.

Getting paid a couple million a year for a job you love to do and the worst thing about it is where you're going to be living for the remainder of your contract that you willingly signed. Sign me up!

I'm not, and I don't know a lot of people who are blaming players for their team choices, and if they are, weather certainly is NOT a factor. And weather/location is obviously a factor, but if it's your main pushing point for leaving/joining a team, then you need to set your priorities straight. Being happy with your role on a team as well as winning should be your main goal. But if you have no passion for the game, then I suppose iot's fine to choose the mosty comfortable living situation over anything else.

Loyalty is a wonderful asset to have. LeBron didn't leave Cleveland because Miami has better weather (sure it was a factor), but he left because Cleveland wasn't getting and couldn't get him the help he wanted/needed. Love doesn't wanna leave because Minneapolis is shitty (sure it could be a reason) but he just wants to get away from that shit franchise. Slightly different situation with Melo but same idea. And I never heard of Exum forcing his way to LA... any validity to this?

He refuses to attend any pre draft workouts wtih anybody but Lakers and he has openly express that he wants to play for Lakers only and he is unsure if he will go to NBA if he is drafted from another team . I dont have a link to post for these but you can ask around in forum, check yourslef or google . I am pretty sure you will find you evidence.

MP.Trey
05-22-2014, 05:19 PM
Good amount of money in addition with good amount of free time and a place like Miami/LA to live >>>>>>>>>> 50 nba champions and FMVPS while living in Milwaukee.
Oh I get it now. You're not even a basketball fan. Makes sense then.

Carter_17
05-22-2014, 05:20 PM
So then OP why does anyone play anywhere besides NYC, Boston, Miami, Chicago, and LA? Might as well tell the rest of the teams to pack up and shut down :confusedshrug:

No lets force human beings to stay in a shitty place against their will just because if they don't the franchise won't be successful :coleman:

Carter_17
05-22-2014, 05:25 PM
My point is that everybody has the personal reasons to hate a place or to like a place and as this is a "free" country everybody should be able to choose where to live and where to work. I don't care if thats LA or Denver(I just used LA and Miami as an example because they seem popular). Players should not be forced to attend college for 1 year and they should be able to sing wherever they want , while their team should be able to offer them as much money as they want.
Salary cap is a joke and Draft is against human rights

ForeverHeat
05-22-2014, 05:26 PM
So that's why RVP joined Man United? Look how many players they've bought from Tottenham.

1. More Money
2. More opportunity for success (or so JVP thought :oldlol: )

Thats why they choose United.

You hear very often about players hating Manchester and its constant rain.

DaSeba5
05-22-2014, 05:28 PM
It's more of the franchises than the cities themselves. You see small teams be successful and then you see teams like the Cavs get a ton of first round picks and still suck, and put nobody around their franchise player for 7 years.

Carter_17
05-22-2014, 05:29 PM
Oh I get it now. You're not even a basketball fan. Makes sense then.

So I am not a basketball fan because I would prioritize myself over my job if I was an NBA player. When you grow up and understand that your life is short and that your free time is the most precious thing you will ever have you can send me a pm and do this conversation again.

Carter_17
05-22-2014, 05:33 PM

You cant compare moving from london to manchester with moving from Minesota to LA. A more valid comparison would be Eto'o who played in Italy for a tier 1 team and joined a Russian shitty team. This move made him the best paid footballer in the world at that time. So yes people can choose to go to shitty places IF the money are extreme enough.

MP.Trey
05-22-2014, 05:39 PM
So I am not a basketball fan because I would prioritize myself over my job if I was an NBA player. When you grow up and understand that your life is short and that your free time is the most precious thing you will ever have you can send me a pm and do this conversation again.
The average NBA player makes millions upon millions of dollars and retires at the age of anywhere from 32-42. That's nearly half or more of your life that you'll be loaded with cash (if you're smart) and all the free time in the world to do whatever you want with it. Don't BS me with this "free time is the most precious thing you will ever have" bullshit.

Once you grow up and get this little thing called a job (McDonalds doesn't count) you'll realize people are forced to relocate for work all the f*cking time. And if they don't, they go find another job wherever they f*cking want. If it's really such a huge deal and you don't wanna play for a shiity city making millions, go play for a nice city making thousands in some semi-pro league. Problem solved.

Rake2204
05-22-2014, 05:45 PM
My point is that everybody has the personal reasons to hate a place or to like a place and as this is a "free" country everybody should be able to choose where to live and where to work. I don't care if thats LA or Denver(I just used LA and Miami as an example because they seem popular). Players should not be forced to attend college for 1 year and they should be able to sing wherever they want , while their team should be able to offer them as much money as they want.
Salary cap is a joke and Draft is against human rightsIf people were truly being forced into this way of living, I may agree with you here. However, opting to play in the NBA is one's choice. I believe it would be similar to everyday businessmen who are forced to re-locate due to a new position (or for any other number of reasons). The employee is not forced to go anywhere, for he could quit. However, if he is interested in retaining his job, there are likely stipulations in his contract that state he would have to agree to such re-location.

Outstanding basketball players are free to play where they please. There are professional leagues throughout the world. However, with each place of employment, there are job requirements. For instance, the NBA requires players be of a certain age. Underaged players can still find employment elsewhere. Further, the NBA business has a rule stating a team who drafts a player retains his rights. The player is not forced to sign. He can stay home if he likes. He can also go use his degree to become a teacher if that suits his fancy.

On top of everything else, I think it's worth remembering what the NBA's business is all about: showcasing competitive basketball and encouraging folks to come out and see it. For the sake of the NBA's existence, that means implementing many rules and regulations that help retain a sense of competition throughout the league, not just in its three biggest cities. If New York, Miami, and Los Angeles were the only teams ever competing for an NBA title, ever, the NBA's fiscal health would greatly deteriorate.

MP.Trey
05-22-2014, 05:48 PM
If people were truly being forced into this way of living, I may agree with you here. However, opting to play in the NBA is one's choice. I believe it would be similar to everyday businessmen who are forced to re-locate due to a new position (or for any other number of reasons). The employee is not forced to go anywhere, for he could quit. However, if he is interested in retaining his job, there are likely stipulations in his contract that state he would have to agree to such re-location.

Outstanding basketball players are free to play where they please. There are professional leagues throughout the world. However, with each place of employment, there are job requirements. For instance, the NBA requires players be of a certain age. Underaged players can still find employment elsewhere. Further, the NBA business has a rule stating a team who drafts a player retains his rights. The player is not forced to sign. He can stay home if he likes. He can also go use his degree to become a teacher if that suits his fancy.

On top of everything else, I think it's worth remembering what the NBA's business is all about: showcasing competitive basketball and encouraging folks to come out and see it. For the sake of the NBA's existence, that means implementing many rules and regulations that help retain a sense of competition throughout the league, not just in its three biggest cities. If New York, Miami, and Los Angeles were the only teams ever competing for an NBA title, ever, the NBA's fiscal health would greatly deteriorate.
Thank you. You articulated some of my points in a much friendlier and easier way to understand.

Carter_17
05-22-2014, 05:50 PM
The average NBA player makes millions upon millions of dollars and retires at the age of anywhere from 32-42. That's nearly half or more of your life that you'll be loaded with cash (if you're smart) and all the free time in the world to do whatever you want with it. Don't BS me with this "free time is the most precious thing you will ever have" bullshit.

Once you grow up and get this little thing called a job (McDonalds doesn't count) you'll realize people are forced to relocate for work all the f*cking time. And if they don't, they go find another job wherever they f*cking want. If it's really such a huge deal and you don't wanna play for a shiity city making millions, go play for a nice city making thousands in some semi-pro league. Problem solved.

The difference is that the company/team wants to hire a player , this player wants to work for that team but the league doesn't allow this deal to happen. Its not like they can't find another job its that the league forces them to follow a certain path for 4 years. 3rd parties being involved in things they shouldn't.

secund2nun
05-22-2014, 06:02 PM
I can't blame the players at all. Though it is interesting how it doesn't matter that much in the NFL and they also have a salary cap.

NumberSix
05-22-2014, 06:06 PM
Because Europe is older and honestly the cultural pinnacle of the world, therefore is full of historic major cities. Sure, it wouldn't be my first choice to live in Munich or Genoa, but it sure beats Cleveland or Oklahoma.

RagaZ
05-22-2014, 06:14 PM
Because Europe is older and honestly the cultural pinnacle of the world, therefore is full of historic major cities. Sure, it wouldn't be my first choice to live in Munich or Genoa, but it sure beats Cleveland or Oklahoma.
Let's be honest, most European cities beats American cities.

Truth hurts.

oarabbus
05-22-2014, 06:19 PM
No lets force human beings to stay in a shitty place against their will just because if they don't the franchise won't be successful :coleman:

:roll:

Bro, the NBA is a business. Each NBA team is a business, not charity organizations. The NBA players are employees of the NBA. They are being paid cash money in exchange for a service they are providing. Get your head straight.

mistergreens
05-22-2014, 06:29 PM
:applause: OP good job. But it was never an issue before Lebron. Kobe stans forget he went on national radio and demanded at trade. It's a joke. Lebron fulfilled his contract and left. These same clowns act like Ray Allen "bailed out" Lebron but forgot all John Paxson and Ron Artest in similar moments. These clowns are still butthurt over the Decision and will stop at nothing to continue to discredit Lebron. The tears after the coming three peat will taste extra sweet.