PDA

View Full Version : If you put in 5 intense years of training from age 18....do you make the NBA?

Milbuck
05-22-2014, 10:21 PM
Do you think you would've been able to make the NBA? Whether as a scrub or anything beyond that, do you think you would be able to crack an NBA roster?

If you're under or over 18, project or reflect to yourself as an 18 year old.

Assume you dropped every major responsibility you had like school, work, and anything else that could take a serious chunk of your effort/time/attention, and focused exclusively on physical training and basketball training.

You ate extremely healthy, had all the dietary supplements and nutritional additives to keep you functioning at a high physical level.

You worked with an elite, highly reputable physical trainer every single day for at least 3-4 hours on your explosiveness, quickness, agility, speed, strength, durability, endurance, stamina, anything and everything related to your physical capacity as an athlete. You lifted, ran, did all forms of workouts to maximize your physique within the timespan.

You also worked with another elite, highly reputable basketball trainer to hone every basketball skill imaginable. Handles, passing, jumpshot, free throws, footwork, post moves, off-ball movement, etc. And you would work in these skills from multiple angles. Let's say you put in MJ/Kobe level effort and work into your game, putting up thousands of shots every day in addition to working on every other skill.

You did all this for 5 straight years, from age 18 to age 23. You have 5 years of the most intense, high-quality training both physically and skill-wise that you possibly could've gotten, and your game/body are about as close to maximized as it could've been in 5 years. No distractions, no other significant commitments, just pure basketball and training for 5 years.

At age 23 would you be on the level of any NBA player? Obviously this will vary according to what kind of body type you have, your starting height, weight, natural affinity (or lack thereof) for the game, but would you be capable of making a roster even if it's just a minor role?

MavsSuperFan
05-22-2014, 10:22 PM
No, the #1 requirement to making the NBA is genetics.

Some combo of height and athleticism is needed. No amount of hard work would substitute.

Milbuck
05-22-2014, 10:25 PM
No, the #1 requirement to making the NBA is genetics.

Some combo of height and athleticism is needed. No amount of hard work would substitute.
Even a relatively normal person at 6'1" 190 pounds, decently athletic at that age would have zero shot with 5 years of the most intense training and preparation imaginable?

IGOTGAME
05-22-2014, 10:27 PM
Even a relatively normal person at 6'1" 190 pounds, decently athletic at that age would have zero shot with 5 years of the most intense training and preparation imaginable?
Someone who was 6"6 with top 10 percent athlete genes would have literally no shot if they started at age 18.

tmacattack33
05-22-2014, 10:28 PM
Nope. I'm 5'8. Not happening. That's only happened two times (Boykins and Bogues) as far as I know.

But anyway, let's say I was 6'4. Nope, still not happening. My competitors will be the other 18 year olds who are already pretty good and who get scholarships to colleges to play ball.

They will be getting world class coaching and training at college, and will be able to develop their game playing in the NCAA. Meanwhile, the most competitive games that I'll be involved in will be YMCA games. And I'll have to coach myself.

Maybe I could get myself into a minor league or some european league or something and go from there though.

Duggrr
05-22-2014, 10:29 PM
I'm 5'11 and about 155 lbs. and white - decently athletic, but nothing special. I don't think it would be even close to possible, even if I gained 20 pounds of muscle. If I were to become a great shooter or something, I'd still be a huge defensive liability

outbreak
05-22-2014, 10:29 PM
depends on the person, they have all those hours of practice makes you an expert studies but to make the elite of the elite you still need to be naturally gifted and genetically suited to your chosen sport. That and luck plays a part for the lesser guys who sneak in

BasedTom
05-22-2014, 10:32 PM
I'd be a poor man's Jonas Jerebko or Shawn Bradley. But at 6' 3''

Cocaine80s
05-22-2014, 10:32 PM
I'm 6'2 so probably not. There's no way in hell I could keep up or even play against other point guards.

If I was 6'6 that would be another story...

Warfan
05-22-2014, 10:34 PM
I highly doubt it, i'm 6'2 and was a good player when i was a junior/senior, but even with all that training it would still be extremely difficult to make the league. I'd like to believe it's possible though :lol

Rake2204
05-22-2014, 10:34 PM
I've thought about this a lot since I was young. I do not have the answer. I guess it could be a little bit like the Todd Marinovich situation?

Actually, beginning at age 18 and going through age 23? I don't know. I wonder if my basketball habits and tendencies would have been ingrained enough to limit the maximum potential that could have been reached via all your stipulations.

It's just hard to imagine. I feel like super hard training would have made me a really great playing version of myself, but I still can't picture that being an NBA product. Kind of tough to think about.

Mavs makes a good point though. In the NBA, not only are a lot of those guys incredibly, incredibly skilled, but they've also won the genetic lottery. I always use this as a means of an example (while also humblebragging):

My vertical numbers are very similar and exceed multiple draft combine players. My max vert landed right in the middle of the 2010 combinees. Felt pretty good about that. However, when ranking myself in the Max Reach category, I was one of just two players who could not touch 11 feet. The other was 5'10'' Sharron Collins (I'm 6'3''). The NBA is full of freakish body compositions. Six footers with 6'6'' wingspans, 6'7'' guys with 7'2'' wingspans, etc. It's crazy. That's something that even the best training cannot change.

buddha
05-22-2014, 10:38 PM
I'm 6'2 (6'3 by NBA standards) with long arms and a decent stroke and above average intelligence. My athleticism is weak, but if I trained every day for 5 years straight I might be able to crack an NBA if roster if I took steroids and hgh, might even grow another inch. If I trained everyday from 6 am to 10pm and had did no other activites then I think anyone 6' > would atleast be able to be a bench warmer. unless you are blind and hella stupid.

Smook A.
05-22-2014, 10:38 PM
Depends how tall you are. Im 6'3 and if I did that for 5 straight years, then I guess I could possibly make the NBA. I mean that's alot of hard work right there.

And besides, I was already athletic when I was coming out of high school. I started playing varsity basketball in 10th grade and varsity football in 11th. I also did track & field for all 4 years in high school.

outbreak
05-22-2014, 10:41 PM
I'm 6'2 so probably not. There's no way in hell I could keep up or even play against other point guards.

If I was 6'6 that would be another story...

but remember there's hundreds of 6'6 guys who played basketball for their whole lives and are playing professional ball in small leagues and couldn't crack the NBA. Height isn't everything

Bandito
05-22-2014, 10:42 PM
nope. Flat feet and a horrible back. I think I have osteoarthritis at 28 :(

Rubio2Gasol
05-22-2014, 10:42 PM
Nah, but I think alot of people look at the NBA it's the only thing. I'd play pro ball anywhere if it was an option.

Japan, China, Latvia, you name it. You'd still probably make more than most people and have fun doing it.

But nah, I'm not good enough.

Verticality
05-22-2014, 10:44 PM
I've met a lot of losers who commit their whole lives to playing basketball rather than trying to work towards a respectable job, and although good ballers, they have not sniffed the NBA and still would get beat by average D1 ballers.

Cocaine80s
but remember there's hundreds of 6'6 guys who played basketball for their whole lives and are playing professional ball in small leagues and couldn't crack the NBA. Height isn't everything
I think if I spent 5 years on shooting and became like a Troy Daniels, it would be much easier to make the nba if I was a 6'6sg than a 6'2 pg.

Just2McFly
You never know.

onhcetum
05-22-2014, 10:45 PM
NBA are probably the least impressive in my opinion. It's all about height and genetics. You can't be born 6'8"+...

Would Jordan be Jordan if he were 6'0"? Would Lebron be Lebron without his size? These dudes were just BORN tall and marginally better than all the other tall players.

There's a ton of small guys I watch whom I'd be like... if he was a half a foot taller, he'd be in the NBA.

Look at the pairs of fathers and sons who have played in the NBA. It's unreal.

Solefade
05-22-2014, 10:45 PM
if the 5 years made my shooting and passing as good as steve nash's maybe

onhcetum
05-22-2014, 10:46 PM

but u forget that those 6'6" have a 2000% better chance anyone 6'0" or smaller

KBaller33
Being 5'9... no

Rubio2Gasol
What pisses you off tbh, is dudes like Kwame and Thabeet in the league making money and being utter shit and not working on their game at all. It's just unfair.

outbreak
05-22-2014, 10:47 PM
I think if I spent 5 years on shooting and became like a Troy Daniels, it would be much easier to make the nba if I was a 6'6sg than a 6'2 pg.
not arguing that, just some people seem to assume if they were tall than they would make the NBA which ignores the fact that thousands of tall people can't crack the NBA and play in minor leagues around the world.

Rose'sACL
05-22-2014, 10:49 PM
if you put in so much hard work for 5 years on studies then you would certainly get a good job paying you more than 100k+ per year by the age of 23 and if you are intelligent then you might come up with something new yourself and probably make millions.
Chances of making the NBA would still be at 20-30% while getting a really good job after studying(10 hrs a day)/working really hard for 5 years would be almost 100% unless you are retarded.

dubeta
05-22-2014, 10:50 PM
I'm 6'8 260 pounds with a 44 inch vertical so maybe..

Rubio2Gasol
05-22-2014, 10:50 PM
Problem with the NBA is being able to defend your position, you need to have some sort of athleticism. Most guys tall enough aren't athletic enough.

Rose'sACL
05-22-2014, 10:52 PM
What pisses you off tbh, is dudes like Kwame and Thabeet in the league making money and being utter shit and not working on their game at all. It's just unfair.
it is the same as when someone who has genius level IQ never works on something new of his own and just settles for a good job because he doesn't want to work hard.

Rubio2Gasol
05-22-2014, 10:53 PM
if you put in so much hard work for 5 years on studies then you would certainly get a good job paying you more than 100k+ per year by the age of 23 and if you are intelligent then you might come up with something new yourself and probably make millions.
Chances of making the NBA would still be at 20-30% while getting a really good job after studying(10 hrs a day)/working really hard for 5 years would be almost 100% unless you are retarded.

This is a lie.

Most people will never see 100K/year in their lifetime. Not everyone walks into a NYK Ib firm/Google straight out of College. You can be a bussinessman, sure, but that's risky, no guarantees.

Rose'sACL
05-22-2014, 11:01 PM
This is a lie.

Most people will never see 100K/year in their lifetime. Not everyone walks into a NYK Ib firm/Google straight out of College. You can be a bussinessman, sure, but that's risky, no guarantees.
i make 85k at age of 24 and i did everything but studying in college. My IQ is around 130.
Most people who don't get to 100k an year in their life don't study for 3 hours a day for 5 yrs let alone 10 hours a day for 5 years. You have no idea how hard is it to study for 10 hours a day for 5 years straight.

D-FENS
05-22-2014, 11:26 PM
If you changed this to start at age 10, give them 8 years of training and all said benefits, plus make them an extreme athlete and you have yourself a winner.

To give you an idea of what is needed to make the NBA, a little back story:
I was a pretty advanced athlete for my age, I won regional high jump, long jump and track events all through school. By 17, I could throw down a decent looking 360 dunk, and was always the fastest and most explosive player on my teams. I couldn't shoot, and didn't practice my shot that much. I worked on finishing around the rim, passing drills, first step, jumping, and backing down smaller guards (post game).

I maxed out at 6'4", played point guard in high school as the second tallest on my team. I felt like I was the best player in my age group in my city, region, and perhaps in a good portion of my country. That was until I played against my first NCAA Div 1 player. I was absolutely killed. Like going from a dominating player, I averaged about roughly 18 ppg, 12 rpg, 8 apg and about 4-5 spg as a high school senior. 2nd best team in the region. Invited for national team trials for my age group. Made the team but didn't play due to meningitis.

Anyway, this guy made me look like a 12th man.

Anyway, I was eventually good enough to play a little pro ball in 2 countries before my knee gave out. If you gave me a killer jump shot, I still would not have been able to defend NBA point guards on the regular. Look, a guy like Jimmer Fredette looks ordinary athletically to us in the NBA, but I'm telling you, NBA scrubs all have at least 1 killer skill. Dead serious. I wouldn't rag on anyone of them in person.

Kvnzhangyay
05-22-2014, 11:28 PM
If you changed this to start at age 10, give them 8 years of training and all said benefits, plus make them an extreme athlete and you have yourself a winner.

I was a pretty advanced athlete for my age, I won regional high jump, long jump and track events all through school. By 17, I could throw down a decent looking 360 dunk, and was always the fastest and most explosive player on my teams. I couldn't shoot, and didn't practice my shot that much. I worked on finishing around the rim, passing drills, first step, jumping, and backing down smaller guards (post game).

I maxed out at 6'4", played point guard in high school as the second tallest on my team. I felt like I was the best player in my age group in my city, region, and perhaps in a good portion of my country. That was until I played against my first NCAA Div 1 player. I was absolutely killed. Like going from a dominating player, I averaged about roughly 18 ppg, 12 rpg, 8 apg and about 4-5 spg as a high school senior. 2nd best team in the region. Invited for national team trials for my age group. Made the team but didn't play due to meningitis.

Anyway, I was eventually good enough to play a little pro ball in 2 countries before my knee gave out. If you gave me a killer jump shot, I still would not have been able to defend NBA point guards on the regular. Look, a guy like Jimmer Fredette looks ordinary athletically to us in the NBA, but I'm telling you, NBA scrubs all have at least 1 killer skill. Dead serious. I wouldn't rag on anyone of them in person.

Really puts into perspective how elite of the elite you have to be to make the league

oarabbus
05-22-2014, 11:45 PM

Damn man. Where did this guy rank amongst other D1 players that year you played him? Middle of the pack, close to elite level?

iamgine
05-23-2014, 12:01 AM
5 years is a long time for intense training. I don't have the dedication for that but if we're assuming I do then of course I would be an NBA caliber player. Making a team is another matter though because no one would know me.

The key here is doing the right training.

With 5 year of the right training and no injury you can at least be:

- Accurate shooter
- Expert on tactics
- Be good defensive player
- Build NBA ready body
- Be good dribbler & passer
- Run a team offense

Rake2204
05-23-2014, 12:02 AM

Anyway, I was eventually good enough to play a little pro ball in 2 countries before my knee gave out. If you gave me a killer jump shot, I still would not have been able to defend NBA point guards on the regular. Look, a guy like Jimmer Fredette looks ordinary athletically to us in the NBA, but I'm telling you, NBA scrubs all have at least 1 killer skill. Dead serious. I wouldn't rag on anyone of them in person.Do you think if you were to continue playing with that DI feller on a regular basis (and amongst others with similar skills to him) that you'd shortly find some better ways of surviving and thriving? You sound as if you had a very talented skill set to begin with, so I wonder if you experienced a little culture shock there (or skill shock).

I went through something similar on a much smaller level. I had a tryout with an IBL team and decided to identify myself as a 6'4'' point guard. For some reason I was in a phase where I felt 6'4'' was too short for anything but point. Also, that was the club's most dire need, so I thought it'd be advantageous to go that route.

As it turns out, even small time semi-pro 5'11'' guards are as quick as lightning. I remember the combine portion of the tryout going very favorably for me. But matching up against those fellers during the scrimmages was an issue (to understate things). I just remember getting blown by once, which I was already looking to prevent. Then when someone from the coaching staff troubled me for that, I sagged a little and my opponent began bombing triples.

On the other side of the ball, it turns out it's a little tougher to attack the rim like a banshee when it's being clogged by a 6'11'' pro and a Kenneth Faried clone. I felt helpless. It wasn't great. And this was just DII and NAIA fellers.

CrazyLond
05-23-2014, 12:37 AM
Making the NBA is unbelievably difficult, people don't have any idea. Almost every kid in America touches a basketball at some point in their childhood, which is millions of new players every year, plus millions more around the world.

Everyone in the NBA has unbelievably natural talents and has worked ridiculously hard to get to where they are at.

Also, the height thing is a very real issue. The crowd of potential players really thins out as you approach NBA height levels. 95% of men are 6'3" or under. There are what, 30 players in the NBA in that range? That means out of the millions and millions of people, maybe even billions, playing all over the world, 95% of them are competing for 30 spots. That is ridiculously bad odds.

I played in a pickup game at the park one day with John Amaechi. This guy was basically a scrub for the 5 years he played in the NBA. So he is in our game and not really doing much, just spotting up for midrange jumpers which was not his game in the NBA, he did most of his scoring in the paint. Well, some kid, one of the better regular players in our game, manages to drive past him for a layup and starts talking smack.

John all of a sudden turns into a total beast. He starts draining hook shots from out near the 3 point line, taking the guy off the dribble, grabbing rebounds from 11 feet in the air, blocking shots, etc. This guy was 6'8" and probably 250 pounds and he was about the quickest guy on the court, I had never seen anything like it. He was just everywhere, every possession he seemed to dominate on both ends of the court.

Amaechi, like I said, was pretty much a scrub in the NBA, I think he had one solid season. Yet, he was head and shoulders above almost anyone I'd seen at just about every aspect of the game. He had a ton of skills you never see when you are watching an NBA game because most players are restricted to playing certain roles while on the court (which is why they call them role players).

If you watch a guy like PJ Tucker, he will stand almost every offensive posession in the left corner so he can hit a 3 if he gets open. You think this is his only offensive skill? I guarantee this guy has a riduculous amount of offensive skills you never normally get to see unless he ends up with the ball in his hands somehow as the shot clock is winding down. This is because as good as his offensive skills are, he has others on his team who have even better skills. NBA coaches know that you can only let a couple guys on the team really let loose, and it is more efficient to have the other guys only do the roles that they are best at.

deja vu
05-23-2014, 12:41 AM
Only if you're 7 foot tall.

D.J.
05-23-2014, 01:00 AM
Even the "scrubs" you see on TV would make you look like a jackass in a pickup game. Regardless of how tall you are, you need te coordination and physical gifts. At my peak, I was 6'8" 200 lbs with the ability to dunk on 11 feet. I played against the kids at my HS regularly(I could never play because of grades) and dominated. I also played against up and coming stars as a teenager(MWP, Tinsley, Odom, Brand) and while I held my own, I wasn't as talented as them. And mind you with my height and athleticism, I didn't have their skillset.