PDA

View Full Version : Double standards by the NBA

livinglegend
05-23-2014, 12:49 PM
Post players can get pushed, hacked, hit... no foul.
As soon as a perimeter player is touched, a foul is called.
Best evidence of that: OKC/Memphis series

Fudge
05-23-2014, 12:50 PM
This kid is still living in a series from 2 matchups ago. :roll:

livinglegend
05-23-2014, 12:52 PM
This kid is still living in a series from 2 matchups ago. :roll:

it s not about about that OKC/Memphis, but about how the NBA favours perimeter players over post players. The game is called differently for post player. It seems like rules change for them, it makes it harder for them.

oarabbus
05-23-2014, 01:48 PM
it s about about that OKC/Memphis, but about how the NBA favours perimeter players over post players. The game is called differently for post player. It seems like rules change for them, it makes it harder for them.

That's actually in the rules of basketball since forever. When someone posts up you can put a forearm on their back legally. You can't do that on the perimeter.

Sh1t is like this even in YMCA ball man :coleman:

TheWINdyCity
05-23-2014, 01:52 PM
I wonder if livinglegend is a secret kobe stan he makes himself look foolish on a daily basis.

Teanett
05-23-2014, 01:54 PM
duh

livinglegend
05-23-2014, 01:54 PM
I wonder if livinglegend is a secret kobe stan he makes himself look foolish on a daily basis.

care to explain what makes this thread foolish?
An intelligent and mature and not foolish person would explain what s wrong instead of using insults.

TheWINdyCity
05-23-2014, 01:57 PM
care to explain what makes this thread foolish?
An intelligent and mature and not foolish person would explain what s wrong instead of using insults.

ok you're trolling thanks that's all I needed to know :oldlol:

tmacattack33
05-23-2014, 02:04 PM
Wut.

Posting is up is defined by completely different rules than the perimeter.

wakencdukest
05-23-2014, 02:08 PM
it s not about about that OKC/Memphis, but about how the NBA favours perimeter players over post players. The game is called differently for post player. It seems like rules change for them, it makes it harder for them.

It's no longer a big mans game. They have effectively turned it into a perimeter based isolation/three point game. Since the low scoring 90's, the rules and the criteria for foul calls have steadily changed to favor perimeter players.

oarabbus
05-23-2014, 02:19 PM
Wut.

This, are you special ed, OP?

livinglegend
05-23-2014, 02:24 PM
Wut.

Except from that forearm rule, are there other rules that are different for post players?
The same foul calls that perimeter get should also be called for the post player and that is not happening right now in the NBA.

livinglegend
05-23-2014, 02:26 PM

Different set of rules?
Name those rules. ( apart from the forearm rule)

Fudge
05-23-2014, 02:27 PM
This is actually a legitimate question.

livinglegend
05-23-2014, 02:29 PM
It's no longer a big mans game. They have effectively turned it into a perimeter based isolation/three point game. Since the low scoring 90's, the rules and the criteria for foul calls have steadily changed to favor perimeter players.

Did rules change or the refs changed their way of calling the game?

wakencdukest
05-23-2014, 04:50 PM

Both. They eliminated hand-checking, and they created the defensive 3 second rule to open up the lane for drives. And, the refs call things a lot tighter on perimeter players than they used to. They've basically given the perimeter players an advantage.

gts
05-23-2014, 04:57 PM

both...

livinglegend
05-23-2014, 06:00 PM
Both. They eliminated hand-checking, and they created the defensive 3 second rule to open up the lane for drives. And, the refs call things a lot tighter on perimeter players than they used to. They've basically given the perimeter players an advantage.

It sucks because it reduces variety. Would be awesome to see more teams dominate trough post players. Today, it s almost all perimeter.

Lonely_Sandberg
05-23-2014, 06:43 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Qi-So3JCfEQ/Uv6QwpwlN8I/AAAAAAAAB24/DvaRffmd4sU/s1600/Brooklyn99Insider-Terry+Crews-How+to+Breathe+1.gif

Myth
05-23-2014, 06:48 PM
In addition to the forearm rule, I think one of the biggest differences we see between perimeter and post play that leads to the appearance of more roughhousing in the post is off ball strategies. You are allowed to battle for position, but you are not allowed to prevent a person from running across the court. In the post, players fight for position more rather than running from one side of the lane to the other constantly, thus we see them jockeying for position. On the perimeter, there is no jockeying for position most of the time; rather, it is somebody doing a full run from one position to another, and if you tangle up a guy in that process, it is a foul.

sd3035
05-23-2014, 06:53 PM
Bran hacks someone - good defense

Bran gets breathed on - flagrant review

red1
05-23-2014, 07:05 PM
kd on defense - offensive foul
kd has the ball - flagrant foul
shit is ridiculous indeed

JUDGE WITNESS
05-23-2014, 07:06 PM
It sucks because it reduces variety. Would be awesome to see more teams dominate trough post players. Today, it s almost all perimeter.
perimeter play is more exciting for the casual fan

bigt
05-23-2014, 07:26 PM
While certain rules have come into play that make post play less effective than it used to be in comparison to perimeter play, as far as roughness/physicality goes it's not an NBA thing, it's just a basketball thing. If you don't play down low you don't really appreciate what it's like down there. But the rule changes have definitely made the gap larger which is a shame. It makes it even harder for truly elite down low players to show off their skills.

Speaking from my experience when I play, pretty much every play I'm expecting to take a hit or two, if I'm lucky it won't be an elbow. If I play as the primary ballhandler, the kind of soft fouls that are called is crazy. The same when you drive, there's far less leniency shown to any contact that is made, and it's very easy to exploit (as we see in the NBA with Harden type players). I've had quite a few people come up to me after a game when they've played down low for the first time, surprised at what actually goes on down there.

If the same kind of touch fouls that were called on the perimeter were called inside though, every big man would be fouled out before the second half. You learn to give as good as you get in that regard.

DonDadda59
05-23-2014, 07:28 PM
Part of the NBA's strategy to manufacture 'next Jordans' that started after he retired as a Bull and climaxed around '06 and has continued since. Life is good for perimeter players, not so much for bigs.