PDA

View Full Version : If Duncan wants to carry on, Can the Spurs stay contenders for a while longer?

All Net
05-23-2014, 10:33 PM
Duncan is 38 but if he manages to have his mins managed Can the Spurs still stay close to this level going forward? Obviously Manu is 35 or so will likely retires sooner or later but he is replaceable I would imagine. Their depth is crazy good and of course a great system. Parker is 32 but his game is built to last. So how much longer can the Spurs stay great for?

toooo
05-23-2014, 11:06 PM
They can be great for a few more years IMO.

bluechox2
05-23-2014, 11:15 PM
their core doesnt require athleticism to be great...just skill

Fiddlesticks
05-23-2014, 11:17 PM
Tim Duncan is done after this year, win or lose.

Cactus-Sack
05-23-2014, 11:18 PM
Depends how long Pop stays really. Say Duncan and Ginobilli retire this year, you've still got an excellent team, and $20+mil off the books. Splitter, Baynes and Belinelli would be able to soften the blow.

poido123
05-23-2014, 11:19 PM
Duncan is 38 but if he manages to have his mins managed Can the Spurs still stay close to this level going forward? Obviously Manu is 35 or so will likely retires sooner or later but he is replaceable I would imagine. Their depth is crazy good and of course a great system. Parker is 32 but his game is built to last. So how much longer can the Spurs stay great for?

I'd have a wild guess and say IF they won this year, the 3 of them would retire together.

Hell, maybe even Popovich also.

DMAVS41
05-23-2014, 11:25 PM
I think the core of Parker, Leonard, and Splitter with a deep team around them and Pop coaching will be able to carry it on.

Leonard will likely take on a huge role next year...and he looks ready for it.

I see him playing 38 or so minutes (up from 30 this year) and having more action come his way offensively.

He seems more than capable to do something like;

20/9/3 58% TS in those increased minutes if he also gets a few more possessions to use by taking on a bigger role.

Manu is definitely going to play out next year as it's his last year.

Duncan has a 10 million dollar player option...so if he stays...the Spurs can run back the same team more or less with maybe adding a piece or two as they might lose Mills to free agency.

If Duncan retires and doesn't pick up his option...the Spurs would have roughly 20 million in cap space with every other key player other than Diaw on the books.

Seems like either way they will be a contender unless Pop retires as well...which I really hope doesn't happen.

Who knows what will happen, but I hope...win or lose this year...the Spurs make one last run next year and then retool completely after 2015...which would actually make the most sense for everyone involved. Parker/Duncan/Manu would all be off the books. Leonard's contract would essentially be up as he won't take the qualifying offer. They would actually only have Splitter's 8.5 million a year on the books for 2016. That is all they would have...

So it seems like the perfect thing to do is go for broke one last time and then call it quits if that is what they want. Who knows though...I wouldn't be shocked if Manu and Ducan both signed for the veteran minimum and took on more player/coach roles to help with the transition. Pretty sure old as shit Duncan will still be a damn good player for 15 to 20 minutes a game.

toxicxr6
05-23-2014, 11:27 PM
win or lose no one is retiring this year
they will be a serious contender next year
i see manu retiring after next year
duncan i feel will play for 3~4 more years

All Net
05-23-2014, 11:35 PM
I think the core of Parker, Leonard, and Splitter with a deep team around them and Pop coaching will be able to carry it on.

Leonard will likely take on a huge role next year...and he looks ready for it.

I see him playing 38 or so minutes (up from 30 this year) and having more action come his way offensively.

He seems more than capable to do something like;

20/9/3 58% TS in those increased minutes if he also gets a few more possessions to use by taking on a bigger role.

Manu is definitely going to play out next year as it's his last year.

Duncan has a 10 million dollar player option...so if he stays...the Spurs can run back the same team more or less with maybe adding a piece or two as they might lose Mills to free agency.

If Duncan retires and doesn't pick up his option...the Spurs would have roughly 20 million in cap space with every other key player other than Diaw on the books.

Seems like either way they will be a contender unless Pop retires as well...which I really hope doesn't happen.

Who knows what will happen, but I hope...win or lose this year...the Spurs make one last run next year and then retool completely after 2015...which would actually make the most sense for everyone involved. Parker/Duncan/Manu would all be off the books. Leonard's contract would essentially be up as he won't take the qualifying offer. They would actually only have Splitter's 8.5 million a year on the books for 2016. That is all they would have...

So it seems like the perfect thing to do is go for broke one last time and then call it quits if that is what they want. Who knows though...I wouldn't be shocked if Manu and Ducan both signed for the veteran minimum and took on more player/coach roles to help with the transition. Pretty sure old as shit Duncan will still be a damn good player for 15 to 20 minutes a game.

Great points, didn't realise the cap situation and really they will be set for a long time even if guys retire.

Pop is the key here, as long as he stays they are in good shape.

If Spurs were to win it all I see Duncan staying one more year and go for something he has never done and thats repeat. I feel he would be motivated to do that.

red1
05-23-2014, 11:39 PM
I'd have a wild guess and say IF they won this year, the 3 of them would retire together.

Hell, maybe even Popovich also.
what makes you think parker would retire this year. typical mouth-breather post

Cocaine80s
05-23-2014, 11:40 PM
:roll:

rhowen4
05-23-2014, 11:48 PM
Geez, that's kinda mean.

Seriously though, what the **** was he thinking?

MavsSuperFan
05-23-2014, 11:53 PM
To honest and as a huge fan of duncan, I dont think Kobe stans are totally wrong when they say duncan isnt the superstar of that team anymore.

Parker is clearly the best player, but the thing is the spurs talent is so evenly distributed that in game 1 where parker scores 2 points in the second half the spurs still beat the Thunder (who many experts said was the best team in the west and some said in the league) in a blowout.

In comparison I cant imagine how the heat would win if lebron scores only 2 points in the second half.

Blasphemous post here, but if duncan retires and pop stays, i think the spurs stay an elite team.
If pop leaves then they might be a lottery team.

haji_d_robertas
05-24-2014, 12:16 AM
Gregg Popovich has mentioned that he will retire when Tim Duncan retires.

poido123
05-24-2014, 12:17 AM

You've already used the 'mouth-breather' comment in another post.

I don't see how I warranted this response?

Anyways, Parker along with Gino and TD have been playing a long while now and have won everything imaginable. To go out on top with another ring and finish up with your best buddies would be a good ending IMO.

ALBballer
05-24-2014, 12:17 AM
Sign paul gasol and I don't see why not.

red1
05-24-2014, 12:38 AM
You've already used the 'mouth-breather' comment in another post.

I don't see how I warranted this response?

Anyways, Parker along with Gino and TD have been playing a long while now and have won everything imaginable. To go out on top with another ring and finish up with your best buddies would be a good ending IMO.
why on earth would he retire. no. just no

jrong
05-24-2014, 01:29 AM
They're gonna be in it for a while with or without Duncan. They just keep finding ways to reload.

rmt
05-24-2014, 01:34 AM
Parker has said that he won't retire until he's 38 - that's 6 years away.

IMO, Duncan will play out his contract (next year) and especially if they win/reach the Finals this year or next, will play another year or two (40-41). If the team is contending and he feels good about how his body is holding up, I don't see why not - he's still a good big.

houston
05-24-2014, 01:47 AM
The Spurs are fools gold. They put up cute regular season records and don't with championships.

rmt
05-24-2014, 01:50 AM
The Spurs are fools gold. They put up cute regular season records and don't with championships.

I guess you've only been watching the NBA since 2008.

houston
05-24-2014, 01:52 AM
I guess you've only been watching the NBA since 2008.

win typo

Round Mound
05-24-2014, 02:12 AM
The Spurs: seem like an 80s B-Ball Team more than an 90s-00s-10s Team. They Are The Funnest To Watch Since There is "Little Isolation Superstar Take Over". Its Team Ball At Its Finest. Those 3 (Duncan, Manu and Parker) Pride In Oldschool B-Ball. I Hope They Win The NBA Title but Lebron & Wade Cannot Be Overlooked. It Wil Be a Great Finals :applause:

05-24-2014, 05:02 AM
I hope he can stay until after the 2016-2017 season. He will have been a 20 year member of the spurs franchise.

dubeta
05-24-2014, 05:34 AM
I'm going out on a limb here and saying that this is the last year the Spurs will contend for..

Their repeated success the last few years is extraordinary for a team that old, but sooner or later you can't beat father time. Whether in the finals, or next season I feel the Spurs will quickly turn old and just wont be able to play high level championship basketball.

The main reason they are still successful, is because Parker is still close to his prime, and he is their catalyst on offence, I have a feeling he is going to lose a step soon at the present age of 32 and then it will be downhill for the Spurs

Obviously though they can still rebuild around Kawhi

T_L_P
05-24-2014, 05:38 AM
The likelihood is Popovich will go when Duncan does, and I'd expect Manu to go along with them.

As long as Popovich, Parker, Timmy and Manu are there, they'll probably always be contenders. The question is: how much longer is that?

GimmeThat
05-24-2014, 05:51 AM
As long as they are contender, they will stay.

No one that age would enjoy having their body taking a beating without a true sense of purpose such as becoming an all time great.

Will Leonard stay? What is his ceiling?

Unless they find another player who is better than Leonard is to minimize the time the player needs to learn the system.

They will most likely stay, unless OKC somehow step up and lock up a core that makes the Spurs realize it's not worth it to continue

Uncle Drew
05-24-2014, 06:33 AM
If the Spurs win it all this year, I think both Timmy and Pop are gone.

Harison
05-24-2014, 07:19 AM
If Pop would stay after Tim's retirement, Spurs would continue to be a solid Playoffs team or even contender. If they add All-star caliber center, they would actually be better than they are now, and I'm pretty sure excellent Spurs FO would get it done.

T_L_P
05-24-2014, 08:49 AM
Parker has said that he won't retire until he's 38 - that's 6 years away.

IMO, Duncan will play out his contract (next year) and especially if they win/reach the Finals this year or next, will play another year or two (40-41). If the team is contending and he feels good about how his body is holding up, I don't see why not - he's still a good big.

I remember an interview this year where Duncan said there's no way he plays until he's 40. The interview has been taken down but I remember Tim saying this:

I mean, my kids wan't me home. There already saying things like "you have to leave again?" and "you're always gone."

Anaximandro1
05-24-2014, 11:13 AM
Let's focus on the present, lol.

Spurs need 6 more wins. It's like climbing Mount Everest.

The odds are against them; the NBA is a superstar driven league.

Hope this season is the second anomaly in 25 years.