PDA

View Full Version : Bron doesn't sound that thuggish and uneducated for someone who didn't go to college

GovernmentMan
05-24-2014, 11:16 PM
a lot of NBA players who went to college sound a lot more thuggish and less articulate than he does

NumberSix
05-24-2014, 11:19 PM
a lot of NBA players who went to college sound a lot more thuggish and less articulate than he does
dass raciss

tmacattack33
05-24-2014, 11:19 PM
Interesting

DuMa
05-24-2014, 11:20 PM
college is overrated. coaches and trainers every step of the way in his entire 11 year NBA career is better than any college education you can buy

Straight_Ballin
05-24-2014, 11:22 PM

You do realize that as the face of the NBA, the first thing David Stern did was have him meet with professional public relations speakers and work with him a shit ton so that he would be prepped for commentary.

moe94
05-24-2014, 11:37 PM
Neither did Kobe and Kobe sounds way more educated and well spoken than him.

Marlo_Stanfield
05-24-2014, 11:53 PM
until Kobe decides hes a thug again and talks Ghetto for a while:roll: :roll:

moe94
05-24-2014, 11:55 PM

True. Chris Paul did that as well. What a god damn clown. Carlton ass n*gga.

Marlo_Stanfield
05-24-2014, 11:58 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :lol

Frozen1
05-24-2014, 11:59 PM
LOL look at Lebron's videos when he was in high school or in his first years in the league.

He used to talk like a thug.

Money, oral classes and a good PR team led him to the way he is today.

Marlo_Stanfield
05-25-2014, 12:00 AM
LOL look at Lebron's videos when he was in high school or in his first years in the league.

i know suburban white kids who talked like that when they were younger, cuz it was cool:roll:
some nba players talk like that in their 30s:biggums:

tmacattack33
05-25-2014, 12:01 AM

He was also 19 then and had just moved out of the ghetto so of course he would talk "ghetto".

jstern
05-25-2014, 12:18 AM
Well, you learn to talk before you go to college. College is not finishing school.

Unless your major is English and language is your focus, I don't see how college would make someone from the hood sound less like someone from the hood.

Edit: Realize that most here might not know what a finishing school is and misread what I wrote to mean actually finishing a school career or something like that. So here's the Wikipedia link on what a finishing school is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finishing_school

Straight_Ballin
05-25-2014, 12:20 AM

That's basically what I just said.

Feels like I got a damn parrot on my shoulder whever I visit ISH lately. :lol

moe94
05-25-2014, 12:21 AM
That's basically what I just said.

Feels like I got a damn parrot on my shoulder whever I visit ISH lately. :lol

Get over yourself. Nothing you said was profound and I'm sure he not only didn't copy you, he probably didn't even read your shit. :biggums:

jstern
05-25-2014, 12:25 AM

I watched this a long time ago, so don't really remember what Kobe said, but I remember feeling awkward with how ghetto he was talking in front of all those white teenage girls. I believe he says the N word a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hDh2U1hVrw

Edit: Haven't heard him saying the N word, but still talking a lot of trash. It's not as bad as I remembered. I probably felt awkward at the time because of the little girl there.

played0ut
05-25-2014, 12:38 AM
You do realize that as the face of the NBA, the first thing David Stern did was have him meet with professional public relations speakers and work with him a shit ton so that he would be prepped for commentary.

Charles Barkley did not do that

JohnMax
05-25-2014, 01:07 AM
I can't think of any superstar that sounds ghetto.

edit: Iverson came off as ghetto but he didn't sound ghetto when he spoke

ace23
05-25-2014, 01:19 AM
college is overrated. coaches and trainers every step of the way in his entire 11 year NBA career is better than any college education you can buy
What?

moe94
05-25-2014, 03:38 AM
I can't think of any superstar that sounds ghetto.

edit: Iverson came off as ghetto but he didn't sound ghetto when he spoke
:roll: :biggums:

AlphaWolf24
05-25-2014, 03:54 AM
I watched this a long time ago, so don't really remember what Kobe said, but I remember feeling awkward with how ghetto he was talking in front of all those white teenage girls. I believe he says the N word a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hDh2U1hVrw

Edit: Haven't heard him saying the N word, but still talking a lot of trash. It's not as bad as I remembered. I probably felt awkward at the time because of the little girl there.

I've seen the same behavior amongst canines...

when a smaller Dog trys to assert itself and become territorial ....a Alpha Canine will step up and put the smaller dog in it's place...

this video reminded me of that situation.

BoutPractice
05-25-2014, 04:54 AM
Only in America is college considered necessary to be able to speak in fully formed sentences :lol

no pun intended
05-25-2014, 04:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVct35OytlI

This doesn't sound so articulate for a Stanford student either.

LAZERUSS
05-25-2014, 05:17 AM
"Uneducated?"

I don't know Lebron, or Durant (who had one year of college), personally, of course, but the two seem to handle themselves with class, and are clearly very articulate. Kobe is another "uneducated" player who by all accounts, has a high IQ, and is an excellent public speaker.

Furthermore, how many other NBA that went to college are "educated?" Many of the NBA players who went to college, were there to get drafted by the NBA. And BTW, some of those, who failed to get a degree, went back and earned one.

Inferno
05-25-2014, 05:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVct35OytlI

This doesn't sound so articulate for a Stanford student either.

That's more to do with fear of public speaking...

russwest0
05-25-2014, 05:28 AM

This.

Kobe is 10x the speaker that LeBron is.

16X
05-25-2014, 05:44 AM
Lebron's BBall IQ is very high, but when speaking he does sound ghetto and not articulate at all to me. His intelligence doesn't exactly shine through.

[I]
LeBron on analytical basketball: "I don

Swaggin916
05-25-2014, 06:08 AM
It's something you have to do if you want to influence American society as a whole. You won't influence them if you sound like you've never stepped 100 feet out of your neighborhood.

You can either keep your accent but sound really educated, or you can speak with a more formal tone and not worry about sounding as educated.

T_L_P
05-25-2014, 06:10 AM
I don't think college makes you a better speaker.

Duncan finished college from what I think is a reputable university, and he even helped write part of a Psychology book, but he definitely doesn't sound like the most articulate man in the league.

LeBron doesn't sound thuggish, but I don't really think he has a large vocabulary.

bdreason
05-25-2014, 06:59 AM
LeBron could barely speak when he first entered the league. He's been taking public speaking lessons for years since joining the league I'm sure.

bdreason
05-25-2014, 07:01 AM
Only in America is college considered necessary to be able to speak in fully formed sentences :lol

That's because the American HS system is a joke... especially for star athletes.

DCL
05-25-2014, 11:58 AM
people do age and get better with speaking. chris webber couldn't even construct half a sentence when he was with the kings. and he's doing analyst work on tv now. he's still fumbling sometimes, but at least he can finish sentences.

red1
05-25-2014, 12:03 PM
:lol cp is a clown indeed

Living Being
05-25-2014, 01:33 PM

:lol

Bandito
05-25-2014, 02:15 PM
:lol

@moe: I think Kobe went to top schools when he was a kid though

Dresta
05-25-2014, 02:17 PM
Not really: i would say the English are just as bad at speaking English as Americans on average. Speaking in fully formed sentences is considered pretty uncool throughout school, thus the inability to speak properly lingers in a fair few. Annoying nasally American accent is really annoying though, and super unattractive on women.