PDA

View Full Version : 2004- "We talkin bout PRACTICE"

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
03-15-2007, 07:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI

not knocking on Iverson. he's one of the most prolific scorers of all time puts his body on the line night in and night out and get things done.

but this interview is just very funny. I thought I would bring it up for old time's sake, and for the newer, younger posters to check this out.

Cannonball
03-15-2007, 07:08 PM
LMAO. How many x s did he say it

L.Kizzle
03-15-2007, 07:08 PM
This happened on 04, I thought it was in 2002.

Is the classic Rasheed Wallace "Both teams played hard" speech on youtube.

DeuceWallaces
03-15-2007, 07:09 PM
For the most part I kinda agree with him. They're at a press conference and talkin about practice.

StroShow4
03-15-2007, 07:48 PM
LMAO. How many x s did he say it

27 and a half

GOBB
03-15-2007, 07:50 PM
Funniest post game press conference in a while. Watch him and Phil Jasner go at it.

For the most part I kinda agree with him. They're at a press conference and talkin about practice.

Huh? What were they talkin bout? Practice? Not the game but practice? Wow

L.Kizzle
03-15-2007, 07:56 PM
"How the hell can I make my teammates better by practicing"

:roll: greatest quote ever :roll:

AI Nuggets3
03-15-2007, 07:59 PM
thats 2002. the funniest thing was that ESPN and ESPN2 picked it up (so did all the local channels now that i think about it) but almost all of them stopped covering it when he started using profanity.

he said something like "I got a bunch of scoring titles that dont mean $*#% and zero rings."

not the greatest PR move by AI but that was a bad period for him. wasnt his best friend murdered a few days before?

GOBB
03-15-2007, 08:03 PM
Anyone have the full version? That is short. Because i want to se when AI and Sixers beat writer Phil Jasner get into it. Phil plays AI and AI gets mad. :oldlol:

Reporter: "May I respond to that?"

Iverson: "Yeah"

Reporter: "There are people that have suggested, myself included, that instead of shooting 40 percent, you...

Iverson: "What do you know about basketball? Have you ever played?"

Reporter: "Yes"

Iverson: "I don't know Phil, I don't know you as a basketball player. I know you as a columnist but I have never heard of you as a player though.

Reporter: "Why is that an issue?"

Iverson: "Why is that an issue? Because we're talking about basketball."

Reporter: "Let me ask my question."

Iverson: "Go ahead, Phillip."

Reporter: "Supposed you shot 44 percent..."

Iverson: "I don't know about that. That is in God's hands. I do not know if that will help me or not. That's God. God does that, It ain't up to you to say if Allen Iverson does this then he'll do that. That's up to God. It ain't up to anyone in here. That is up to God. He handles that.

Reporter: "What are we talkin bout, GOD? GOD? We're not talkin bout you missing practice. We're talkin bout GOD. We in Bible Study? Sister Slap-Alot where are thou? GOD? We're not talkin bout practice, we're using GOD's name in vain. What in Christ sake are we talkin bout. GOD? GOD man?"

Cannonball
03-15-2007, 08:14 PM
Anyone have the full version? That is short. Because i want to se when AI and Sixers beat writer Phil Jasner get into it. Phil plays AI and AI gets mad. :oldlol:

Reporter: "There are people that have suggested, myself included, that instead of shooting 40 percent, you...

Iverson: "I don't know Phil, I don't know you as a basketball player. I know you as a columnist but I have never heard of you as a player though.

Iverson: "I don't know about that. That is in God's hands. I do not know if that will help me or not. That's God. God does that, It ain't up to you to say if Allen Iverson does this then he'll do that. That's up to God. It ain't up to anyone in here. That is up to God. He handles that.

I need a num 3 denver jersey.

GOBB
03-15-2007, 08:15 PM
Complete transcript of it all (http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:o4J45GTWISEJ:sportsillustrated.cnn. com/basketball/news/2002/05/09/iverson_transcript/+&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us)

Its hilarious, i want the video tho.

MaxFly
03-15-2007, 08:19 PM

Reporter: "What are we talkin bout, GOD? GOD? We're not talkin bout you missing practice. We're talkin bout GOD. We in Bible Study? Sister Slap-Alot where are thou? GOD? We're not talkin bout practice, we're using GOD's name in vain. What in Christ sake are we talkin bout. GOD? GOD man?"

Man that was a great press conference... lol, shooting percentage left up to God... :oldlol:

Kobe4life
03-15-2007, 08:20 PM
some college players mentioned that

Sword.Dragons
03-16-2007, 02:43 AM
I heard afterwards his coach said something like
''wow he said the word practice more times then he's done it this year"

20 Dimes A Game
03-16-2007, 03:29 AM
Ha.

Funny, i love the way he tries to break the uneasy silences.

Zan Tabak
03-16-2007, 08:23 AM
Haha..classic interview..I wonder if he practices now!?..anyone know?...I don't think that sort of thing would sit too well with George Karl...

gb8
03-16-2007, 09:09 AM
Fully hilarious, I remember when it happened and its just as funnny now as it was then.

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
03-16-2007, 09:22 AM
wait you're sure this is 2002? I thought this happened with the disciplinarian coach Chris Ford in the season right after Larry Brown went to Detroit.

Rasheed1
03-16-2007, 10:57 AM
it was 2002

We just got our asses handed to us by Boston in the playoffs and the very next day when we should be doing the autopsy on the series we just lost, Larry Brown tells the press that Iverson doesnt ride the bike in practice and generally is a problem during practices... So when Iverson gets up there (after a couple drinks and a meeting with King and LB) the press starts asking him about his practice habits.. He gets pissed off becaus ehe thinks the issue should be the playoffs series we just got eliminated from... But instead of ripping Brown or his teammates, he just rambles on about "PRACTICE"

Boston really kicked our asses in that playoff series.... thats what I remember most about that season :(

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
03-16-2007, 11:52 AM
That's Some Funny ****

mlh1981
03-16-2007, 11:55 AM
The funny thing is, everything he said was entirely true.

Samurai Swoosh
03-16-2007, 12:04 PM
He's a funny guy, just not very intelligent. Scratch that, he's intelligent, he just can't articulate his thoughts into words. The whole thing was hilarious.

"Not a game ... not a game ... WE TALKING BOUT PRACTICE."

Samurai Swoosh
03-16-2007, 12:06 PM
The funniest part is him addressing the columnist by his full name for emphasis. "Okay, Phillip..."

Rasheed1
03-16-2007, 12:33 PM
I wonder if he practices now!?..anyone know?...I don't think that sort of thing would sit too well with George Karl...

I would assume his practice habits are as poor as they were in 2002. I dont think he misses them that much.. I think it is more about him being late and not being the leader he should be in practice... Most coaches can deal with it without alerting the media, but LB was a guy who would talk about that stuff to the public....

B-Low
03-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Anyone see this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rmtO9_wzlI&mode=related&search=

:roll: :roll:

Sean77
03-16-2007, 01:24 PM
Practice has its purpose in terms of working on technique and correcting mistakes, but even Kareem Abdul-Jabbar said in SLAM magazine that in the grand scheme of things practice is never as important as actual experience on the court when it matters. Seeing as how he's the all-time leading scorer, it's hard to refute what he's saying.

GOBB
03-16-2007, 02:28 PM
Practice has its purpose in terms of working on technique and correcting mistakes, but even Kareem Abdul-Jabbar said in SLAM magazine that in the grand scheme of things practice is never as important as actual experience on the court when it matters. Seeing as how he's the all-time leading scorer, it's hard to refute what he's saying.

Regardless of importance the players on the team felt there was a double standard. They had to show up on time to every practice whereas AI could do as he pleased. They didnt feel that was fair so therefore the "practice" becomes important as far as keeping everyone happy and on the same page. Its no different then you being at work...doing your job, being held accountable for getting work done by a certain time only to see your coworker playing games online, chatting on msgboards. Your supervisor breaths down your neck but not thiers. Thats an issue that doesnt get discussed much because the national media never reported it often. But there was problems with players on the team who felt the double standard was unfair.

GOBB
03-16-2007, 02:30 PM
I heard afterwards his coach said something like
''wow he said the word practice more times then he's done it this year"

Yeah Larry Brown said it...wish i had the video of that. :oldlol:

NugzFan
03-16-2007, 02:32 PM
has this been posted yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUYjD7A75HQ

practice interview WITH counter!

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
03-16-2007, 02:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUYjD7A75HQ

this version counts how many times he said practice

funkylikemonkey
03-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Playoffs!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq7BYOnDrM

IversonMelo2K7
03-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Boston really kicked our asses in that playoff series

It went the full (at the time) 5 games

Moose
03-16-2007, 02:49 PM
LOL funny interview

Rasheed1
03-16-2007, 03:23 PM
It wasnt that we got swept or anything... But we got seriously thumped up in Boston... It was a pathetic showing by the 6ers..

If you ever get a chance to see that pic of Toine Walker doing his classic Shimmy move, have a look at the people in the background of the pic... Its the 6ers in that picture... As a matter of fact thats the playoff game im talking about..

We got dealt with... It hurt especially because we thought we could get to the finals again with some more grit and some hustle and it just didnt work out..

:(

AI Nuggets3
03-16-2007, 05:13 PM
according to George Karl, AI is the 1st one to practice and the last one to leave everyday so he must've grown up! lol

Purch
07-19-2014, 11:41 AM
:bowdown:

BoutPractice
07-19-2014, 11:51 AM
An iconic man posting an iconic video.

(The "what are we talking about? Practice?" part is what always gets me)

GimmeThat
07-19-2014, 12:01 PM
lead the league in minutes played 6 times

a 6 footer in shoes who lead the league in scoring 4 times

I highly doubt the guy had problem scoring against the second unit of his own team. so there's 145 starters out there who makes up 29 different defense that he's gonna face that because of his height he's never really going to see much of a clean look.

talk about his physical conditioning huh.

must had been in God's hand to put up those numbers.

ImKobe
07-19-2014, 12:01 PM
I'm lost.

Is he talking about practice, or the actual game? Help me out here.

Purch
07-19-2014, 01:53 PM
"Not the game that I die for, and play every game like its my last"

"You see me play right? You see me give everything I got dont you?"

That's honestly is the saddest part of Iverson's career, I never saw anyone who played with as much heart on the court, but it was the other things that stopped him.

Akrazotile
07-19-2014, 02:39 PM
lead the league in minutes played 6 times

a 6 footer in shoes who lead the league in scoring 4 times

I highly doubt the guy had problem scoring against the second unit of his own team. so there's 145 starters out there who makes up 29 different defense that he's gonna face that because of his height he's never really going to see much of a clean look.

talk about his physical conditioning huh.

must had been in God's hand to put up those numbers.

high heels, maybe.

Purch
07-22-2014, 08:13 PM
Not the game

dreamwarrior
07-23-2014, 02:07 AM
imagine if he did practice. his peak would've been just 2 years and he'd retire at age 28 because of all of the abuse he'd put himself through during practice

FultzNationRISE
10-02-2022, 10:21 AM
OP is Jasper.