PDA

View Full Version : Are this year's Spurs...

LEFT4DEAD
05-25-2014, 04:25 PM
better than any team Jordan's Bulls faced in their 6 finals???

For me there is no doubt that the Spurs are playing some of the best team basketball in the history of this league. Its mind blowing that this year's Spurs are even better than last year's Spurs, who had a bad luck to lose to the Heat. Only out of this world-performance from James could take the championship from their hands this year.

Kiddlovesnets
05-25-2014, 04:26 PM
Id say they are better than anyone but the 72-10 Bulls team in 1996.
:applause:

BlkMambaGOAT
05-25-2014, 04:27 PM
Magic's Lakers and both Jazz terms are at least within the same tier as 2014 Spurs if not better.

Aside from that Spurs>the other 3 teams that faced MJ.

BlkMambaGOAT
05-25-2014, 04:29 PM
Id say they are better than anyone but the 72-10 Bulls team in 1996.
:applause:
:biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

86 Celtics and 87 Lakers would curbstomp the 2014 Spurs.

72-10 only got 72 wins cuz the League, especially the East, was very weak at the time (borderline 2014 eastern conference).

atljonesbro
05-25-2014, 04:31 PM
:biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

86 Celtics and 87 Lakers would curbstomp the 2014 Spurs.

72-10 only got 72 wins cuz the League, especially the East, was very weak at the time (borderline 2014 eastern conference).
In 28 years when the nostalgia sets in you'll probably think differently.

LeBird
05-25-2014, 04:32 PM
Yes, they are. They were better than any team the Bulls faced in their finals even last year. This year they seem to be even better.

DonDadda59
05-25-2014, 04:35 PM
Ironic that you have a Seattle themed avy :lol

Please, explain to me how the AARP all stars are a better team than the 96 Sonics.

I'll wait.

JT123
05-25-2014, 04:35 PM
Magic's Lakers and both Jazz terms are at least within the same tier as 2014 Spurs if not better.

Aside from that Spurs>the other 3 teams that faced MJ.
Magic's Lakers team was old and had several key players sitting out with injuries. The Jazz were good, but NEVER looked as dominate as this current Spurs team does. Jordan is very lucky he got to face so many cupcake teams in the Finals every year.

JT123
05-25-2014, 04:36 PM

Please, explain to me how the AARP all stars are a better team than the 96 Sonics.

I'll wait.
:facepalm

DonDadda59
05-25-2014, 04:37 PM
Magic's Lakers team was old and had several key players sitting out with injuries. The Jazz were good, but NEVER looked as dominate as this current Spurs team does. Jordan is very lucky he got to face so many cupcake teams in the Finals every year.

How does a team look 'dominate' in a 7 game series against an 8 seed that just happens to be the only team as old as them?

:facepalm

Great argument. You really convinced me :applause:

JT123
05-25-2014, 04:41 PM
How does a team look 'dominate' in a 7 game series against an 8 seed that just happens to be the only team as old as them?

Great argument. You really convinced me :applause:
The Heat are older than both of those teams, but nice try. The fact remains that since the first round ended the Spurs have looked more dominant than any team Jordan ever faced in the Finals. :no:

zoom17
05-25-2014, 04:49 PM
:biggums: You guys are seriously overrating the spurs.

DonDadda59
05-25-2014, 04:54 PM
The Heat are older than both of those teams, but nice try. The fact remains that since the first round ended the Spurs have looked more dominant than any team Jordan ever faced in the Finals. :no:

Because they're playing shit teams led by low IQ shot jackers, with one dealing with a key injury to their 3rd best player. Again, when they played a team of old vets like themselves, an 8 seed, they were pushed to 7.

Explain to me what exactly makes them a better team than the '96 Sonics.

Again, I'll be here waiting patiently.

LEFT4DEAD
05-25-2014, 05:04 PM

I'll wait.
I dont see anything ironic about that. I still believe that those Sonics were too scared of the Bulls when they went against them. If they played more concentrated first couple of games they would win the series.

I think the main mistake was Payton playing one on one on D and on offense vs Jordan on almost every possesion. He wasted too much energy guarding him. He could do much more on offense if he was saving his energy for that.

But in comparison with this years Spurs they are just one or two leaders who won championship away from being the ideal team.

I would take this year's Spurs just because they have players who were already there. Thats a big boost for a team, To have someone who could calm others down when its needed. Because, there is no coach who can calm down and say whats needed to be said to every of his players on such a big stage like the finals during a timeout. You have seen it multiple times, Duncan, Ginobili, Parker taking a coach role when its timeout.

Thats the difference between 96' Sonics and this year' Spurs. The leaders.

JT123
05-25-2014, 05:05 PM
Because they're playing shit teams led by low IQ shot jackers, with one dealing with a key injury to their 3rd best player. Again, when they played a team of old vets like themselves, an 8 seed, they were pushed to 7.

Explain to me what exactly makes them a better team than the '96 Sonics.

Again, I'll be here waiting patiently.
Tell me when the 96 Sonics were ever referred to as "basketball perfectionists"
How many Finals appearances did that core make? I'll wait patiently for your reply. Jordan played like absolute ass in that series, yet the Bulls still nearly swept them.

LeBird
05-25-2014, 05:07 PM

This team is 2 wins away from getting to another finals, consecutively. Last year, they were 1 Ray Allen 3 away from winning it. Come on, give kudos to great basketball. I'm not even a Spurs fan and I wouldn't begrudge them winning it.

SCdac
05-25-2014, 05:13 PM
Spurs may not even be the best team this season, let alone "best of 90's decade other than Bulls" kind thing.

I'll take any of the championship Spurs teams with prime Duncan over the current team, because I think he was generally unstoppable in his prime and made the defense elite (much more elite than it is now). Duncan could play ~40 mpg too in the playoffs ... that's a big deal.

Lockdown defense, good offense, superstar impact >>> good defense, high scoring offense, evenly distributed scoring

just my imo

Any Spurs team the past 20 years is emphasizing team work, sharing the ball, personal responsibility (good individual D), and so on. That is not unique to this current team. But the ball movement and increased assists this season and last is awesome and a joy to watch.

red1
05-25-2014, 05:15 PM
last years spurs were a championship team and they are SLIGHTLY better this year. that said you are overrating them

LeBird
05-25-2014, 05:52 PM
Spurs may not even be the best team this season, let alone "best of 90's decade other than Bulls" kind thing.

I'll take any of the championship Spurs teams with prime Duncan over the current team, because I think he was generally unstoppable in his prime and made the defense elite (much more elite than it is now). Duncan could play ~40 mpg too in the playoffs ... that's a big deal.

Lockdown defense, good offense, superstar impact >>> good defense, high scoring offense, evenly distributed scoring

just my imo

Any Spurs team the past 20 years is emphasizing team work, sharing the ball, personal responsibility (good individual D), and so on. That is not unique to this current team. But the ball movement and increased assists this season and last is awesome and a joy to watch.

Did the Spurs at their 'peak' then ever get to consecutive NBA finals? Do you think it was harder to do then, than now?

DonDadda59
05-25-2014, 05:57 PM
Did the Spurs at their 'peak' then ever get to consecutive NBA finals? Do you think it was harder to do then, than now?

Obviously it was harder then. They were going up against a prime Shaq (and ended the 3-peat dominance). Who is their competition now, f*cking can't figure out how to play against Tony Allen, twig Durant? :oldlol:

Tell me when the 96 Sonics were ever referred to as "basketball perfectionists"
How many Finals appearances did that core make? I'll wait patiently for your reply. Jordan played like absolute ass in that series, yet the Bulls still nearly swept them.

I mean, I know Jordan didn't have to face the mental damage that Boris Diaw inflicted on Bron by silently judging his mid range jumper from afar. But the Sonics D and DPOY Payton did OK vs MJ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WpkXlrJxtw

nzahir
05-25-2014, 06:02 PM
Lebron fan here...scared to play the spurs, if we even make it to the finals. Severe underdogs, underdogs even versus indi