PDA

View Full Version : No.7 for Rondo

Mr.Kite
05-26-2014, 03:22 PM
who says no?

ImKobe
05-26-2014, 03:26 PM
Yeah...no. As good as Rondo is, I'm not going to give up a lottery pick for a PG with limited range, who just came off ACL surgery. No deal.

BlackWhiteGreen
05-26-2014, 03:28 PM
One of those where both teams say no

Cocaine80s
05-26-2014, 03:32 PM
Rondo is worth atleast top 5.

Trading him for #7 would be retarded on the celtics part

ImKobe
05-26-2014, 03:42 PM
Rondo is worth atleast top 5.

Trading him for #7 would be retarded on the celtics part

Tore his ACL early in the season and missed 52 games the following year while looking average in the games he did play. He's already 27 years old so it's not like he's going to get much better.

#7 pick obviously doesn't guarantee a superstar or even a perennial all-star type of a player, but I wouldn't want to pay Rondo the max while missing out on a chance to get a very good player, that could possibly be great for the next decade while Rondo only has some good to great years left in him.

Rondo has always been a bad shooter, though his jump shot did seem improved in the games he played this season, but the sample size is small and he only shot 29% from 3. He has never put up elite efficiency numbers. never cracked 20+ PER, never been close to .200 WS/48, career 51%TS. His last Playoff run was great, but it was 2 years ago and he had a healthy knee. Puts up big assist totals, but also turns the ball over a lot, his overpassing can hurt the flow of the offense.

I'm not trading a top 10 pick in a deep draft for a point guard with one good knee, who I would also have to pay 13 million next season.

el gringos
05-26-2014, 03:50 PM
Sometimes it's a good nba trade when both teams fans hate it

CeltsGarlic
05-26-2014, 03:54 PM
Im just so used to #9

D-FENS
05-26-2014, 03:58 PM
Tore his ACL early in the season and missed 52 games the following year while looking average in the games he did play. He's already 27 years old so it's not like he's going to get much better.

#7 pick obviously doesn't guarantee a superstar or even a perennial all-star type of a player, but I wouldn't want to pay Rondo the max while missing out on a chance to get a very good player, that could possibly be great for the next decade while Rondo only has some good to great years left in him.

Rondo has always been a bad shooter, though his jump shot did seem improved in the games he played this season, but the sample size is small and he only shot 29% from 3. He has never put up elite efficiency numbers. never cracked 20+ PER, never been close to .200 WS/48, career 51%TS. His last Playoff run was great, but it was 2 years ago and he had a healthy knee. Puts up big assist totals, but also turns the ball over a lot, his overpassing can hurt the flow of the offense.

I'm not trading a top 10 pick in a deep draft for a point guard with one good knee, who I would also have to pay 13 million next season.

Excellent post. From a lifelong Celtic fan. If we could get 7 for him, I'd do it in a heartbeat

VengefulAngel
05-26-2014, 04:00 PM
Celtics, Rondo is a playoff beast.

ArbitraryWater
05-26-2014, 04:01 PM
Why would he change his jersey number?

CeltsGarlic
05-26-2014, 04:04 PM
Lol you shitting me actually?
Everyone would trade for rondo you fvcking goons. Dude is an all time PO performer. Way worse players were traded for high pics.

Everyone that thinks otherwise should readjust in life.

salwan
05-26-2014, 04:04 PM
Excellent post. From a lifelong Celtic fan. If we could get 7 for him, I'd do it in a heartbeat

so you would trade rondo for smart/vonleh/gordon? :wtf:

salwan
05-26-2014, 04:05 PM
Everyone would trade for rondo you fvcking goons. Dude is an all time PO performer. Way worse players were traded for high pics.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

VengefulAngel
05-26-2014, 04:06 PM

For once we agree.

CeltsGarlic
05-26-2014, 04:07 PM
For once we agree.
:cheers:

SwishSquared
05-26-2014, 04:29 PM
I think if Boston can't snag a star with their picks, it may be smart to trade Rondo. They could package #6 + #7 to move up or sweeten other trade offers. I don't think Minnesota would get a better offer than those 2 picks for Love; Boston could even try to not take on a bad contract from Minnesota due to those two picks. Offer Bledsoe the max (Plan B would be sign Lowry), get Asik with the Bogan's contract + Philly pick, potentially S&T Hayward, or pursue Affalo/Ariza.

If they could complete this deal w/o having to take on Nash's contract, I think they would at least consider it. Rondo may leave next summer and Danny has shown that good picks are enough compensation to send out a vet on an expiring. I personally think Rondo wasn't interested that much last season and he'd be more motivated on a team looking to win now.

CeltsGarlic
05-26-2014, 04:32 PM
I think if Boston can't snag a star with their picks, it may be smart to trade Rondo. They could package #6 + #7 to move up or sweeten other trade offers. I don't think Minnesota would get a better offer than those 2 picks for Love; Boston could even try to not take on a bad contract from Minnesota due to those two picks. Offer Bledsoe the max (Plan B would be sign Lowry), get Asik with the Bogan's contract + Philly pick, potentially S&T Hayward, or pursue Affalo/Ariza.

If they could complete this deal w/o having to take on Nash's contract, I think they would at least consider it. Rondo may leave next summer and Danny has shown that good picks are enough compensation to send out a vet on an expiring. I personally think Rondo wasn't interested that much last season and he'd be more motivated on a team looking to win now.

I love those unrealistic trade scenarios you just made.

I think if Boston can't snag a star with their picks, it may be smart to trade Rondo. They could package #6 + #7 to move up or sweeten other trade offers. I don't think Minnesota would get a better offer than those 2 picks for Love, which they would latter flip to Russ plus Ibaka, and then the Pacers obviously calls them up to switch with George + Stephenson and some picks. Then boston flips it for Love and fillers to get Lebron.

ballup
05-26-2014, 04:38 PM

Partial tear so it isn't that serious. It's not like Rondo is a Rose kind of player anyways. Rondo will be less quick, but he can still be fast and nothing much else about him will be hindered from the injury.

Rondo's value has always been misrepresented by advanced stats. I think Hollinger even admitted that PER doesn't do Rondo justice because of how the formula doesn't take value defense as much. PER is a stat based on other stats and it isn't a great measure of how valuable Rondo is. Rondo's passing allows his team to capitalize on small passing windows that would usually result in a turnover for most other PGs.

The Celtic's offense was centered around him, of course he's going to turn over the ball at a higher rate because he always has the ball at some point during every possession.

Ainge slams the phone on this one though.

ImKobe
05-26-2014, 04:47 PM
Partial tear so it isn't that serious. It's not like Rondo is a Rose kind of player anyways. Rondo will be less quick, but he can still be fast and nothing much else about him will be hindered from the injury.

Rondo's value has always been misrepresented by advanced stats. I think Hollinger even admitted that PER doesn't do Rondo justice because of how the formula doesn't take value defense as much. PER is a stat based on other stats and it isn't a great measure of how valuable Rondo is. Rondo's passing allows his team to capitalize on small passing windows that would usually result in a turnover for most other PGs.

The Celtic's offense was centered around him, of course he's going to turn over the ball at a higher rate because he always has the ball at some point during every possession.

Ainge slams the phone on this one though.

Rondo is a good player and I wouldn't mind singing him for 8-10m a year through Free Agency, but I'm not giving up a lottery pick if I'm the Lakers.

History has shown me that no one should ever pay top dollar or trade a high pick for an older player with a bad knee. He missed over 50 games this season. He tore his knee in January IIRC and he had about 9-10 months off before the season began and still only played 30 games. Even though the tear was partial like you said, that is NOT a good sign. You do not gamble a lotto pick in a deep draft for a player, who hasn't been himself since 2012.

Yeah, the draft pick could be a total bust, which is why Boston would hardly consider the trade, but Rondo himself is not a sure thing right now. And he only has one year on his contract and some other team would overpay for his services and then we would have given up a potential future star for a one-year rental, who's still working on getting back up 100% from an ACL surgery.

It's not a good deal for either team. I don't see why Boston would trade Rondo for anything other than a top 3 pick and I don't see how any team with a top 3 pick would even consider trading the pick for Rondo.

16X
05-26-2014, 04:55 PM
Rondo is my favourite pg. I'd love to have him for his defense, but offensively I don't think he could be the Rajon Rondo we know playing next to a Kobe or a Lebron. We don't have anyone on the team for Rondo to pass the ball to either :lol If we got Rondo, we would still need a secondary offensive guy like a K Love, but LA doesn't have that good of a chance of getting him. I don't know. Maybe if all these things happen it could work out. Kobe will be handling the ball less now coming back from such serious injuries.

DMV2
05-26-2014, 05:13 PM
Do Celtics fan know how trades work? Rarely do teams ever get equal value upfront for their franchise players. It's usually based on potential.

- Shaq was traded for Butler, Odom and the 26th overall pick. In retrospective, the Lakers got nothing in return for Shaq but eventually worked out well with the Gasol trade a few years later.

- The Gasol brothers trade don't even look that bad now if Marc can continue to play like an All-Star. The Lakers got 2 championships because of Kobe, Pau, Phil and being the best team during that 3-year run, not because of Pau alone. They lost SHaq but was able to build the best frontcourt in the league with Pau-Odom-Bynum.

Somehow Rondo is worth more than what 2004 Shaq was worth...according to Boston fans. :hammerhead:

Mr.Kite
05-26-2014, 05:16 PM
Rondo is a good player and I wouldn't mind singing him for 8-10m a year through Free Agency, but I'm not giving up a lottery pick if I'm the Lakers.

History has shown me that no one should ever pay top dollar or trade a high pick for an older player with a bad knee. He missed over 50 games this season. He tore his knee in January IIRC and he had about 9-10 months off before the season began and still only played 30 games. Even though the tear was partial like you said, that is NOT a good sign. You do not gamble a lotto pick in a deep draft for a player, who hasn't been himself since 2012.

Yeah, the draft pick could be a total bust, which is why Boston would hardly consider the trade, but Rondo himself is not a sure thing right now. And he only has one year on his contract and some other team would overpay for his services and then we would have given up a potential future star for a one-year rental, who's still working on getting back up 100% from an ACL surgery.

It's not a good deal for either team. I don't see why Boston would trade Rondo for anything other than a top 3 pick and I don't see how any team with a top 3 pick would even consider trading the pick for Rondo.

I think the lakers should do it.

Who can the lakers get that would be a stud?

parker, wiggins, embiid, exum are all off the board by then

ImKobe
05-26-2014, 05:18 PM
I think the lakers should do it.

Who can the lakers get that would be a stud?

parker, wiggins, embiid, exum are all off the board by then

You never know. Those guys have gotten all the attention, but I got a feeling there are few other great players people haven't paid enough attention to.

Rondo himself was a 21st pick...

Mr.Kite
05-26-2014, 05:21 PM
You never know. Those guys have gotten all the attention, but I got a feeling there are few other great players people haven't paid enough attention to.

Rondo himself was a 21st pick...

Ever since jerry west departed, lakers' haven't drafted well. The lakers were always built on trades.

ballup
05-26-2014, 05:22 PM

I'll agree that it isn't a fit for the Lakers and the Celtics would get ripped off in a player value standpoint.

Deep drafts don't mean surefire all stars to the end of the lottery. Look who was drafted #7 in 2003, ya Kirk Hinrich. The guys right after him aren't all star guys either. Deep drafts just mean that there are higher chances you will find something solid in the later rounds.

You keep on harping on the injury when it really isn't so bad. Al Jefferson suffered an ACL tear and he's still the same guy, although some may argue that he's not a net positive but that's a different story for another day.

Rondo missed much more games because the Celtics were focused on him not re injuring himself. He came back around the same time he got injured. I don't get where you get the notion that his injury is much more serious than other ACL injuries. The prognosis for recovery is one year and a full recovery is about 1.5 to 2 years. Rondo was forced to take back to back off even when he felt fine, which he always did. That explains why he had a total of 50 games missed.

DMV2
05-26-2014, 05:31 PM
Only keeping Rondo now because he's the only guy on the roster you can build around. If KO shows potential of being an All-Star next season, they'll probably pull the trigger after next season and it won't be of equal value as C fans think it will.

brownmamba00
05-26-2014, 05:34 PM
If Boston wants to eat up Nash's contract than HELL YEAH.

I would love Rondo's demeanor and playmaking on the Lakers. True competitor, triple double threat every night that can lock the opposing PG up. I'd cream my pants for a Rondo-Kobe back court. Shiit you get Rondo you get Melo and BOOM we're back.

And Boston will suck and rebuild for atleast 2-3 years so I won't be surprised if they try to trade him for assets before he has the chance to leave next year. But I don't see Ainge trading Rondo to the Lakers.

Rolando
05-26-2014, 05:52 PM
Rondo has heart and steps up his game when the stakes are high. He is proven. This past season he spent recovering and I applaud how the team managed his playing time. In the coming season you will see Rondo at 100%. He won't be f'ing around out there.

Quit talking about his shooting: It is what it is. His arms are too long for his body and his shoulders are too wide....nothing can be done about it. He knows this too and is smart enough to play to his strengths.

You all will see.

SwishSquared
05-26-2014, 05:57 PM
I love those unrealistic trade scenarios you just made.

I think if Boston can't snag a star with their picks, it may be smart to trade Rondo. They could package #6 + #7 to move up or sweeten other trade offers. I don't think Minnesota would get a better offer than those 2 picks for Love, which they would latter flip to Russ plus Ibaka, and then the Pacers obviously calls them up to switch with George + Stephenson and some picks. Then boston flips it for Love and fillers to get Lebron.
I'm sorry but did you actually read what I wrote or understand the amount of Boston's assets? I provided a few examples of potential trades- it appears you skimmed my post to see a couple names and then proceeded to troll.

Let's pretend leading up to the draft, Lakers offer Nash + #7 for Rondo. Boston agrees and offers Nash + Anthony + #6 + #7 + Sully + Olynyk + 2016 1st rounder for Love. Minnesota is getting very valuable lotto picks in the best draft in years, expirings, and 2 young pieces (one being a solid #3 big right now and the other still developing). Minnesota then has #6, #7, #13 in a loaded draft and no significant long-term salary back, plus another first round pick. That will potentially be their best offer for Love. Plausible option for both squads.

Asik for Bogans + 2015 Philly first rounder is a trade in which Morey would consider. He gets rid of Asik's deal, gets a non-guaranteed contract in return, and an asset which he package in another trade. Houston wants to clear cap by ridding of Lin + Asik so they can offer Melo full max w/o losing their core. This would help Houston reach that goal. Boston absorbs rest of Asik's deal in the Lee trade exception. Again, plausible option.

To get Hayward in a S&T, Boston can use either their $10M trade exception from the Pierce deal or use expirings + pick(s) to complete the deal. Bass + Favorani + 2015 Clippers pick + 2015 Boston 2nd rounder might be enough to complete the trade, depending on what exactly Utah wants in return. Like I said, they can simply use their trade exception to do the entire deal and save their other expirings + picks in another trade (perhaps in a Lowry S&T).

I'm not even a Boston fan and I know this stuff can work.

Getting back to main point of thread- I doubt this deal happens, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if this were to happen. LAL would get a better PG that at least is a FA next season, but I'm not sure sure that's the direction in which they want to go. I think I'd have to see in-draft who's still on the board if I'm both teams in case anybody drops a bit on draft day.

Derka
05-26-2014, 06:02 PM
:oldlol:

Brizzly
05-26-2014, 06:10 PM
Do Celtics fan know how trades work? Rarely do teams ever get equal value upfront for their franchise players. It's usually based on potential.

- Shaq was traded for Butler, Odom and the 26th overall pick. In retrospective, the Lakers got nothing in return for Shaq but eventually worked out well with the Gasol trade a few years later.

- The Gasol brothers trade don't even look that bad now if Marc can continue to play like an All-Star. The Lakers got 2 championships because of Kobe, Pau, Phil and being the best team during that 3-year run, not because of Pau alone. They lost SHaq but was able to build the best frontcourt in the league with Pau-Odom-Bynum.

Somehow Rondo is worth more than what 2004 Shaq was worth...according to Boston fans. :hammerhead:

Two very different situations, reasons why we did not get Shaqs value was because he was in his last year of his contract and wanted a big pay raise from the 27 millions he was already getting and the problems with Kobe. It was obvious Buss had to make a decision who he was going to keep and who he had to let go. Had he not had problems with Kobe and he was contracted for another 2-3 yeras you can bet ya ass he wouldn't have been traded for Butler and Odom.

Clyde
05-26-2014, 06:16 PM
both say no

TheReturn
05-26-2014, 06:19 PM
Rondo is a game changer. He's worth more.

Black and White
05-26-2014, 06:22 PM
Hell no, Rondo is worth more than the #7 pick, I have no doubt he will be back at his all-star level next season, if the Lakers get him for just the #7 thats a steal, and I will be pissed.

ProfessorMurder
05-26-2014, 06:37 PM

He tore his ACL halfway through the season, and missed half of the next. That's normal. He didn't play as much as he could've because they were tanking.

He's got a great contract for what he brings to the team, yet you say you wouldn't pay it.

How's that 48 million for a guy who's played 6 games working out?

Pushxx
05-26-2014, 06:41 PM
A lot of trolling in here. No reasonable person thinks Rondo is worth only a #7 pick. :facepalm

SwishSquared
05-26-2014, 06:46 PM
The healthy, trip-doub threat Rondo is definitely worth more. But one on an expiring deal with an upcoming deep draft that played semi-disinterested ball (returning from an ACL tear) on a team with nothing to play for won't get fair market value imo.

16X
05-26-2014, 07:14 PM
A lot of trolling in here. No reasonable person thinks Rondo is worth only a #7 pick. :facepalm
Is anyone with a top 4-5 pick going to be willing to let it go for Rondo though? Those teams want young talent to rebuild with. Number 7 for Rondo is not that bad of a deal, especially since Boston may want to get really bad to tank. Vince Carter only brought back Eric Williams, Aaron Williams, and a couple sh*t draft picks. Trading number 7 for Rondo doesn't make sense for LA though without there being anyone on the team to pass the ball to other than Kobe.

longtime lurker
05-26-2014, 08:13 PM
Both teams say no. Lakers should learn from the Nash trade, Kobe and Rondo won't mesh. Plus they'll still need to get a 2nd scorer.

As for Boston whoever they can get with the 7th pick they won't really have a need for. Unless it's another PG and even then I doubt he'll be better than Rondo.

noob cake
05-26-2014, 08:18 PM
I would trade anyone in the draft not named Parker or Embiid (ie top 2 pick) for Rondo.

maybeshewill13
05-26-2014, 08:20 PM
Some serious under-appreciation for Rondo going on in this thread :facepalm