PDA

View Full Version : A Ring as the best player in the Weakest era ever or runner up in the stongest era?

robert_shaww
05-26-2014, 10:59 PM
Playing the finals against the GOAT team and losing in 6 or 7 games isnt better than winning in 6 or 7 against th the weakest conference of all time and era?

stalkerforlife
05-26-2014, 11:03 PM
Runner up.

The Jazz teams that lost to the Bulls are more respectable than the Cheat.

robert_shaww
05-26-2014, 11:04 PM
Runner up.

The Jazz teams that lost to the Bulls are more respectable than the Cheat.

good answer.

stalkerforlife
05-26-2014, 11:08 PM
good answer.

Good thread.

kells333
05-26-2014, 11:32 PM
Since when has this become a weak era? The nba has never seen the athletes its seeing now before.

robert_shaww
05-27-2014, 09:24 AM
Since when has this become a weak era? The nba has never seen the athletes its seeing now before.

athletes = good basketball :facepalm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/81/Save_The_World_Awards_2009_show06_-_Carl_Lewis.jpg

T_L_P
05-27-2014, 09:26 AM
Who are you talking about here, Rob?

Jailblazers7
05-27-2014, 09:28 AM
Give me the ring. Anybody that would rather lose so that they can have the "respect" of fans is a schmuck.

livinglegend
05-27-2014, 09:30 AM
That Jazz team= 1st or 2nd round exit in today s era.

robert_shaww
05-27-2014, 09:37 AM
Who are you talking about here, Rob?

You know something, people here only think the good players are the championship players.

im a manu fan, he has 3 rings (and could have 5 or even 6) but he is not great because of the rings. not at all.

the key

Rose'sACL
05-27-2014, 09:51 AM
[QUOTE=robert_shaww]You know something, people here only think the good players are the championship players.

im a manu fan, he has 3 rings (and could have 5 or even 6) but he is not great because of the rings. not at all.

the key

Beastmode88
05-27-2014, 09:55 AM
Probably thread about tim duncan vs karl malone. :facepalm

Rose'sACL
05-27-2014, 09:56 AM
Probably thread about tim duncan vs karl malone. :facepalm
anyone who has seen him post knows that. He hates the Spurs.

chris02jammers
05-27-2014, 10:55 AM
anyone who has seen him post knows that. He hates the Spurs.
runner up is the worse loser in sports

tmacattack33
05-27-2014, 11:03 AM
:wtf:

Miami has won their two Finals by beating very good teams.

Durant - Westbrook - Harden was one of the best trios we've seen in a while...and Serge Ibaka was also on that team.

The Spurs of last year were a machine. They are very well balanced team with a GOAT Coach and GOAT experience.

NumberSix
05-27-2014, 11:20 AM
LeBron > Kobe

kells333
05-27-2014, 11:37 AM
athletes = good basketball :facepalm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/81/Save_The_World_Awards_2009_show06_-_Carl_Lewis.jpg

Its a piece of the puzzle for sure. Its hard to guard or stop a great athlete who knows the game

Derka
05-27-2014, 11:48 AM
This sad shit :oldlol:

A ring is a ring.

r15mohd
05-27-2014, 11:49 AM
to answer the OPs question...all you have to do is look at how many good to great players ring-chase late in their careers because they've came second or just couldn't get over the hump.

discredit all you want about weak era and what not...but nothing beats a championship ring, ask Malone and Barkley how satisfied they are as 2nd best. :rolleyes:

robert_shaww
05-27-2014, 11:55 AM
to answer the OPs question...all you have to do is look at how many good to great players ring-chase late in their careers because they've came second or just couldn't get over the hump.

discredit all you want about weak era and what not...but nothing beats a championship ring, ask Malone and Barkley how satisfied they are as 2nd best. :rolleyes:

not talking about satisfied, only about basketball ablities. if malone & stockton played vs jason kidd nets or 07 cavs then they will have 2 rings, but they faced MJ Bulls twice and lost. thats it. Rings cant change their abilities.

pastis
05-27-2014, 12:01 PM

no. its like this guy with the miami heat 2006. he got his ring 2006, bu honestly nobody is considering him having a "real" ring.

malone and barkley are great, and i dont think that it would help their "legacy" winning a chip at the end of their careers with 5-7 ppg.

r15mohd
05-27-2014, 12:02 PM
not talking about satisfied, only about basketball ablities. if malone & stockton played vs jason kidd nets or 07 cavs then they will have 2 rings, but they faced MJ Bulls twice and lost. thats it. Rings cant change their abilities.

so do you diminish Shaq and Kobe's rings for beating those same Nets, and the same for TD/Manu/TP for the 2007 ring? :facepalm

like I said...their abilities mean nothing without the jewelry, it goes hand-in-hand

if this is such a "weak era" by your standards, then TD should not be ranked above Malone or Barkley because of "abilities" :rolleyes: :wtf: :facepalm

pastis
05-27-2014, 12:03 PM
so do you diminish Shaq and Kobe's rings for beating those same Nets, and the same for TD/Manu/TP for the 2007 ring? :facepalm

like I said...their abilities mean nothing without the jewelry, it goes hand-in-hand

if this is such a "weak era" by your standards, then TD should not be ranked above Malone or Barkley because of "abilities" :rolleyes: :wtf: :facepalm

lol at 2007 cavs. every middleskilled junior high would have beaten tehm.:applause:

r15mohd
05-27-2014, 12:06 PM
no. its like this guy with the miami heat 2006. he got his ring 2006, bu honestly nobody is considering him having a "real" ring.

malone and barkley are great, and i dont think that it would help their "legacy" winning a chip at the end of their careers with 5-7 ppg.

if they were an end of the road bench warmer, ala Juwan Howard last year, then you have a point. Malone was a descent PF for LAL in his last stint at a ring...Barkley wasn't dreadful either. they weren't prime players, agree on that, but played adequate minutes with ample production to make them factors to the team and the wins...unlike Juwan Howard, again

pastis
05-27-2014, 12:09 PM
if they were an end of the road bench warmer, ala Juwan Howard last year, then you have a point. Malone was a descent PF for LAL in his last stint at a ring...Barkley wasn't dreadful either. they weren't prime players, agree on that, but played adequate minutes with ample production to make them factors to the team and the wins...unlike Juwan Howard, again

its like saying duncan has 4 real rings. ridiculous. parker and manu have 2. duncan has 1 1/2 (other half robinson).

r15mohd
05-27-2014, 12:11 PM
its like saying duncan has 4 real rings. ridiculous. parker and manu have 2. duncan has 1 1/2 (other half robinson).

glad you agree with the OP lol :facepalm

T_L_P
05-27-2014, 12:13 PM

Your fixation with the Finals opponent is hilarious.

Did you forget Duncan beat the Shaq/Kobe Lakers, a better team than Malone ever beat in the Playoffs? Malone doesn't even make the Finals with that '03 cast, so everything you say is moot.

Of course Malone would win a couple of rings with Duncan's help in this era (though you severely underrate it, probably because you didn't watch it). But he doesn't win 4. He doesn't provide the defense needed for any of the '98-'05 teams, and he doesn't match Duncan's production in '06. He wins in '07, and maybe another year after that. You forget just how inefficient Malone could be. In his last 10 Playoff runs he had a combined TS% of .514, and that would only go down in this era without the best/second best passer of all time.

robert_shaww
05-27-2014, 12:13 PM

duncan should NOT be ranked above Malone. thats correct.

robert_shaww
05-27-2014, 12:18 PM
Your fixation with the Finals opponent is hilarious.

Did you forget Duncan beat the Shaq/Kobe Lakers, a better team than Malone ever beat in the Playoffs? Malone doesn't even make the Finals with that '03 cast, so everything you say is moot.

Of course Malone would win a couple of rings with Duncan's help in this era (though you severely underrate it, probably because you didn't watch it). But he doesn't win 4. He doesn't provide the defense needed for any of the '98-'05 teams, and he doesn't match Duncan's production in '06. He wins in '07, and maybe another year after that. You forget just how inefficient Malone could be. In his last 10 Playoff runs he had a combined TS% of .514, and that would only go down in this era without the best/second best passer of all time.

tell me this, honestly, if duncan was playing with utah in the 90

r15mohd
05-27-2014, 12:19 PM

but he is...and it's unanimously agreed by his peers, current and former NBA players as well as coaches and NBA analysts. Karl Malone IS NOT better than Tim Duncan...that is a fact!

T_L_P
05-27-2014, 12:20 PM

More rings, same number of MVPs, more Finals MVPs, better stats, better intangibles (Duncan's leadership qualities alone), better defense.

What case does Malone have? He played better teams in the Finals and lost? :oldlol:

robert_shaww
05-27-2014, 12:21 PM
but he is...and it's unanimously agreed by his peers, current and former NBA players as well as coaches and NBA analysts. Karl Malone IS NOT better than Tim Duncan...that is a fact!

yes, its a fact.

but its not true, depends in coaches, teammates and a weaker or stronger era. its no the same facing hakeem/ drexler rockets or Jordan/pippen/rodman bulls (best team ever for many peer, and former nba players as well as coaches and nba analysts) than facing the nets, the 8th seed knicks without ewing, or even the cavs.

T_L_P
05-27-2014, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE=robert_shaww]tell me this, honestly, if duncan was playing with utah in the 90

Sarcastic
05-27-2014, 12:23 PM

Yes it has. You telling me Hibbert is a better athlete than Hakeem, D-Rob, or even Ewing? Or that Kevin Love, the best PF in the NBA, is a better athlete than Karl Malone, or even Charles Barkley?

robert_shaww
05-27-2014, 12:24 PM
More rings, same number of MVPs, more Finals MVPs, better stats, better intangibles (Duncan's leadership qualities alone), better defense.

What case does Malone have? He played better teams in the Finals and lost? :oldlol:

you dont understand my point.

Imagine for a moment a GREAT player playing in the 90

T_L_P
05-27-2014, 12:25 PM
yes, its a fact.

but its not true, depends in coaches, teammates and a weaker or stronger era. its no the same facing hakeem/ drexler rockets or Jordan/pippen/rodman bulls (best team ever for many peer, and former nba players as well as coaches and nba analysts) than facing the nets, the 8th seed knicks without ewing, or even the cavs.

What is with your agenda? Why list Malone's best opponents and some of Duncan's worst? Are you forgetting the Shaq/Kobe Lakers (way better than Hakeem's Rockets), or the '05 Pistons (one of the best defensive teams ever)?

Even Jerry Sloan called Duncan the GOAT PF.

robert_shaww
05-27-2014, 12:26 PM
1-2 for Malone
0 for Duncan

The net difference is two. Simple logic.

And Malone would probably play slightly better defense (still not near the level of Duncan's), but he'd also sacrifice some of his offensive stats (Malone was competent defensively but he didn't use most of his energy on it). Double-edged sword.

:facepalm

robert_shaww
05-27-2014, 12:27 PM
What is with your agenda? Why list Malone's best opponents and some of Duncan's worst? Are you forgetting the Shaq/Kobe Lakers (way better than Hakeem's Rockets), or the '05 Pistons (one of the best defensive teams ever)?

Even Jerry Sloan called Duncan the GOAT PF.

My agenda? i have no agenda. just talking here.

but there is no chance with you...saying malone is winning 1 ring with the spurs in all decade is funny.

duncan with 39% FG vs pistons in 05...imagine Malone that series...and he is wining the ring easily in 99 and 07...EASILY

T_L_P
05-27-2014, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE=robert_shaww]you dont understand my point.

r15mohd
05-27-2014, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE=robert_shaww]you dont understand my point.

T_L_P
05-27-2014, 12:29 PM
:facepalm

Can't provide the defensive domination from 98-05; can't match Duncan's production in 06. Wins in 07, loses to the Lakers or Celtics in 08, no Manu in 09, maybe they win in 10 or 11.

1-2 rings. Stop your stupidity. Malone couldn't beat 44 and 47 win teams. Now he's 3-peating. :lol

robert_shaww
05-27-2014, 12:29 PM
Duncan had 12PPG in 2011 Playoffs...malone never scored 12 Points in any game in his carrer.....:lol

robert_shaww
05-27-2014, 12:30 PM
Can't provide the defensive domination from 98-05; can't match Duncan's production in 06. Wins in 07, loses to the Lakers or Celtics in 08, no Manu in 09, maybe they win in 10 or 11.

1-2 rings. Stop your stupidity. Malone couldn't beat 44 and 47 win teams. Now he's 3-peating. :lol

great, so malone is not wining in 1999 ??????????????

T_L_P
05-27-2014, 12:30 PM
curious to know what your top 10-15 is...if u don't mind

He has Kobe number 7 even though he played the same teams in the Finals from '00-'02 and he was clearly the second best player on his team.

Duncan in 15th because he's been carried by a 15/4/4 Manu Ginobili for the past 10 years (even though in that time Duncan has been a 22/12/3/3 player).

r15mohd
05-27-2014, 12:31 PM
My agenda? i have no agenda. just talking here.

but there is no chance with you...saying malone is winning 1 ring with the spurs in all decade is funny.

duncan with 39% FG vs pistons in 05...imagine Malone that series...and he is wining the ring easily in 99 and 07...EASILY

you seem to forget the flip-side of things too...put Duncan with Stockton and he's light years ahead of what Malone was IMO.

T_L_P
05-27-2014, 12:31 PM
great, so malone is not wining in 1999 ??????????????

In his second year, when he lost to a 42 win team in actuality? **** no.

T_L_P
05-27-2014, 12:32 PM
you seem to forget the flip-side of things too...put Duncan with Stockton and he's light years ahead of what Malone was IMO.

He'll never acknowledge this. He's never talked about Stockton, because he knows he's better than anyone Duncan got to play with.

robert_shaww
05-27-2014, 12:32 PM
In his second year, when he lost to a 42 win team in actuality? **** no.

he is playing with david robinson and popovich and facing freaking portland in the playoffs and 8th seed knicks in the finals without ewing and he is not winning...the 2d greatest scorer of all time...fine....end of the conversation.

r15mohd
05-27-2014, 12:33 PM
He has Kobe number 7 even though he played the same teams in the Finals from '00-'02 and he was clearly the second best player on his team.

Duncan in 15th because he's been carried by a 15/4/4 Manu Ginobili for the past 10 years (even though in that time Duncan has been a 22/12/3/3 player).

OP nitpicks too much...if Kobe is ranked that high and has played the Pacers, Nets and 76ers as a highlight to his rank, he's full of b/s

T_L_P
Duncan had 12PPG in 2011 Playoffs...malone never scored 12 Points in any game in his carrer.....:lol

The troll comes out. Getting owned left, right and center so you resort to being childish.

Duncan's worst is worse than Malone's worst. Duncan's best (like, I don't know, a 25/15/5/3 Playoff run with some of the best defense ever) is light years ahead of Malone's best.

robert_shaww
He'll never acknowledge this. He's never talked about Stockton, because he knows he's better than anyone Duncan got to play with.

yes sure, with hornacek guarding jordan and ostertag in the court...great chances...

T_L_P
05-27-2014, 12:35 PM
he is playing with david robinson and popovich and facing freaking portland in the playoffs and 8th seed knicks in the finals without ewing and he is not winning...the 2d greatest scorer of all time...fine....end of the conversation.

He's losing to Shaq afaik. He lost to Sleepy Floyd and Joe Barry Carroll for god's sake. :facepalm

T_L_P
05-27-2014, 12:36 PM
yes sure, with hornacek guarding jordan and ostertag in the court...great chances...

Bringing up the Finals again. He played in two of them during his 20 years. Why did they lose to the Sonics in 96 with an 18 PPG, .637 TS% Hornacek on his team?

Oh yeah, career loser.

robert_shaww
05-27-2014, 12:36 PM
OP nitpicks too much...if Kobe is ranked that high and has played the Pacers, Nets and 76ers a highlight to his rank, he's full of b/s

pacers had a good team, and they won against the spurs in the west also, and pippen blazers, and he won without shaq in 09 and 10 (in 10, celtics were great oponnent). but kobe is 2

robert_shaww
05-27-2014, 12:39 PM
Bringing up the Finals again. He played in two of them during his 20 years. Why did they lose to the Sonics in 96 with an 18 PPG, .637 TS% Hornacek on his team?

Oh yeah, career loser.

he played 19 years, not 20.

im talking about his 5 prime years...duncan was lucky, having those years from 03-08, thats it. i dont want to talk about malone/ duncan anymore.

PD: What about spurs-thunder game 3 TLP....great game for 37 years old manu... i think we are not winning the series...whats your thoughts?

r15mohd
05-27-2014, 12:41 PM
[QUOTE=robert_shaww]pacers were a good team, they beat the spurs in the west also, and pippen blazers, and he won without shaq in 09 and 10 (in 10, celtics were great oponnent). but kobe is 2

T_L_P
05-27-2014, 12:42 PM
he played 19 years, not 20.

im talking about his 5 prime years...duncan was lucky, having those years from 03-08, thats it. i dont want to talk about malone/ duncan anymore.

PD: What about spurs-thunder game 3 TLP....great game for 37 years old manu... i think we are not winning the series...whats your thoughts?

Tonight decides the series imo. What about you?

Either way, I'm hoping for a great game of basketball. :cheers:

robert_shaww
05-27-2014, 12:47 PM
Tonight decides the series imo. What about you?

Either way, I'm hoping for a great game of basketball. :cheers:

im sad honestly.

cant stand westbrook and all that refs little calls...i would love to see them play another finals...but i dont know...

we have a little chance, and thats winning all home games...we just cant win on the road against this team and im very dissapointed with parker on road playoffs games...(he played horrible in game 3 in memphis last year and in game 3 or 4 in okc in 12 and in the 11 series also...and against the heat on the road last year...)

spurs should stop shooting so many 3

Goldrush25
05-27-2014, 12:49 PM
Give me the ring. Anybody that would rather lose so that they can have the "respect" of fans is a schmuck.
Pretty much. There's nothing worse than being a runner up.

T_L_P
05-27-2014, 12:52 PM
[QUOTE=robert_shaww]im sad honestly.

cant stand westbrook and all that refs little calls...i would love to see them play another finals...but i dont know...

we have a little chance, and thats winning all home games...we just cant win on the road against this team and im very dissapointed with parker on road playoffs games...(he played horrible in game 3 in memphis last year and in game 3 or 4 in okc in 12 and in the 11 series also...and against the heat on the road last year...)

spurs should stop shooting so many 3

robert_shaww
05-27-2014, 01:43 PM
Yeah, it doesn't help that he's such a douchebag (along with Reggie and Durant). There's no scenario in which one team should shoot 22 FTs in a quarter and the other shoot none.

I personally think we can pull it off tonight. Ibaka will be more hobbled because the knee would have swollen up yesterday (he had two weeks to prepare before), and I don't think Parker will suck so bad. He just looked really tired (sleepy).

Get better screens for Danny, get Marco involved, and keep the ball moving. Also, try to stop the refs from blowing calls all night (that called off Patty 3 ended us).

i miss gary neal. (really)

T_L_P
05-27-2014, 01:45 PM
i miss gary neal. (really)

Marco's a huge step up though. Neal was starting to become a slight problem (a little like SJAX), so I see why they got rid of him (or did he leave in FA? I forget). Marco was one of the best pickups of the season (though he's not shown it this Playoffs).

robert_shaww
05-27-2014, 01:58 PM
Marco's a huge step up though. Neal was starting to become a slight problem (a little like SJAX), so I see why they got rid of him (or did he leave in FA? I forget). Marco was one of the best pickups of the season (though he's not shown it this Playoffs).

left in fa to milwakee.

i know marco is a step up...its about time to show it in the court.