PDA

View Full Version : I just thought about something. We only have 3 superstars in today's league.

1987_Lakers
05-27-2014, 10:59 PM
LeBron
Durant
CP3

Guys like Kobe, Wade, Dirk, & Duncan are getting older and are just stars right now, Dwight Howard has regressed since leaving Orlando, D-Rose hasn't played in like 2 years it seems. Then you have a bunch of borderline superstars like Curry, Carmelo, Howard, Harden, Griffin, Irving, Wall, Lillard, Westbrook, Love, & Aldridge. A fake superstar in Paul George and a future superstar who isn't fully developed yet in Anthony Davis.

LeBron 06
05-27-2014, 11:04 PM
http://media.philly.com/images/12614_Brooks_600.jpg

HoopsFanNumero1
05-27-2014, 11:05 PM
Westbrook is arguably the best player on his team. He's definitely a more impactful player than Durant, so I think it's fine to call him a superstar.

VengefulAngel
LeBron
Durant
CP3

Guys like Kobe, Wade, Dirk, & Duncan are getting older and are just stars right now, Dwight Howard has regressed since leaving Orlando, D-Rose hasn't played in like 2 years it seems. Then you have a bunch of borderline superstars like Curry, Carmelo, Howard, Harden, Griffin, Irving, Wall, Lillard, Westbrook, Love, & Aldridge. A fake superstar in Paul George and a future superstar who isn't fully developed yet in Anthony Davis.

You don't even have the statistical best player on the Thunder during the playoffs. :facepalm

KD: PER: 22.64
Russ: PER: 23.56

ThatCoolKid
CP3 is not a superstar. Ever since his knee injuries, he has not had the consistency that should be expected as a superstar, and also choked hard this year in the playoffs.

hawksdogsbraves
What are your qualifications for being a superstar and what has CP3 done to meet them?

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
05-27-2014, 11:06 PM
Westbrook is arguably the best player on his team. He's definitely a more impactful player than Durant, so I think it's fine to call him a superstar.

You're an idiot if you seriously think that.

Heavincent
05-27-2014, 11:07 PM
Westbrook is better than CP3 though.

raprap
05-27-2014, 11:07 PM
Westbrook is a superstar.

HoopsFanNumero1
05-27-2014, 11:08 PM
You're an idiot if you seriously think that.

What's idiotic about that? Have you seen them play in the playoffs? They definitely aren't that far off. If you're basing it off of their RS performance, then sure.

LoneyROY7
05-27-2014, 11:09 PM
http://instntrply.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/BlakeShock.gif

Ne 1
05-27-2014, 11:13 PM
Weakest era of superstars and the weakest era of bigs. I mean after LeBron, Durant, and maybe Chris Paul, you've got a bunch of players in the top 5-10 that wouldn't be anywhere close to that in most eras.

1987_Lakers
05-27-2014, 11:14 PM
Westbrook is a 23 PPG guy who shoots 44%, he makes bad choices on the court all the time and all of a sudden he's a superstar?:oldlol:

oarabbus
05-27-2014, 11:18 PM
Westbrook is a 23 PPG guy who shoots 44%, he makes bad choices on the court all the time and all of a sudden he's a superstar?:oldlol:

His impact on the court is far greater than CP3

If it's OKC vs Clips and both PGs have a beast game OKC will win. Same with Curry, Clips beat us by shutting down Curry. Curry/Parker/Westbrook are all better and more impactful.

RoundMoundOfReb
05-27-2014, 11:18 PM
Was Derrick Rose a superstar in '11?

raprap
05-27-2014, 11:21 PM
Ah the stat whores :roll:

If westbrook aint a superstar, allen iverson is not aswell. Bunch of boxcore warriors.

stalkerforlife
05-27-2014, 11:22 PM
LMAO @ cp3 being a superstar.

tmacattack33
05-27-2014, 11:23 PM

The most common stupid play that Westbrook makes is that he just drives the ball into the 7 footers almost any chance he can...even when the lane isn't open and he has no real plan...leading to a terrible shot or a turnover.

But he's been converting almost all of them recently, or at least drawing a foul (some of them are pretty bad calls, but he gets the calls which is all that matters in this discussion).

So yes, currently, he is playing super-star basketball.

CP3 needs to be taken off that list, and Westbrook can get that spot.

the mesiah
05-27-2014, 11:25 PM
What are your qualifications for being a superstar and what has CP3 done to meet them?
http://www.riseandgrind.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/cosign-305x381.jpg

1987_Lakers

If westbrook aint a superstar, allen iverson is not aswell. Bunch of boxcore warriors.

I'm not an Iverson but we are talking about a guy who averaged 31 ppg and led his team to the Finals to a guy who averages points in the low 20's and is the 2nd best player on the team.:oldlol:

iamgine
Weakest era of superstars and the weakest era of bigs. I mean after LeBron, Durant, and maybe Chris Paul, you've got a bunch of players in the top 5-10 that wouldn't be anywhere close to that in most eras.
In what years would Curry, Carmelo, Anthony Davis, Dwight, Westbrook etc not close to top 5-10? Who were the top 5-10 in those years?

NumberSix
05-27-2014, 11:27 PM
Durant and CP3 are not superstars.

1987_Lakers
05-27-2014, 11:31 PM
LMAO @ cp3 being a superstar.

He's been the best point guard in the league since 2008.:confusedshrug:

tpols
05-27-2014, 11:32 PM

Russ averaged 26/10/8 on 60% shooting vs Memphis and 28/6/9 on 49% vs the Clippers.. and just dropped 40/10/5/5 on the spurs tonight...

Kingwillball
05-27-2014, 11:33 PM
Lebron is the only SUPERSTAR honestly.. The rest are stars, all stars and borderline superstars.

tmacattack33
05-27-2014, 11:35 PM
He's been the best point guard in the league since 2008.:confusedshrug:

No. He got injured in 2009 and his whole season in 2010 was injury hobbled.

After that he was never the same and best PG was probably him, but a few other players had cases to be made for them. Rose in 2011, Parker in 2013.

And this year, Westbrook was definitely better.

1987_Lakers
05-27-2014, 11:36 PM
Russ averaged 26/10/8 on 60% shooting vs Memphis and 28/6/9 on 49% vs the Clippers.. and just dropped 40/10/5/5 on the spurs tonight...

He's shooting 42% this postseason and is averaging over 4 turnovers a game.:oldlol:

Not saying he doesn't have the potential to be a superstar, but at the moment he still has ways to go.

fpliii
05-27-2014, 11:39 PM

After that he was never the same and best PG was probably him, but a few other players had cases to be made for them. Rose in 2011, Parker in 2013.

CP3 is so ****ing underrated it's ridiculous.

1987_Lakers
05-27-2014, 11:41 PM

CP3 had 2 off years in 10 & 11 because of injury, but ever since he has joined the Clippers he has been elite. The numbers speak for themselves. You think Westbrook would have turned around a franchise like the Clippers the way CP3 did?:oldlol:

Delusion ISH posters who are prisoners of the moment right now.

Legends66NBA7
I only have James and Durant as the superstars when you take into account the entire season and playoffs, along with who's selling out arenas, high endorsements, jersey sales, etc... If Kobe Bryant was healthy, he would be #3. I guess you could throw in Paul too and maybe Howard, but I personally wouldn't.

Or are we basing this completely of on-court performance ?

Young X
This is such a weak era in terms of top 10 players. Remember when the top 10 players were:

Bron
Kobe
Prime Wade
Healthy Paul
Durant
Prime Dirk
Healthy Dwight
Nash
Melo
Healthy D-Will

Then you got Duncan, KG, Rondo, 24/11 Bosh, etc. I blame injuries.

Mrofir
05-27-2014, 11:43 PM
In what years would Curry, Carmelo, Anthony Davis, Dwight, Westbrook etc not close to top 5-10? Who were the top 5-10 in those years?

Ooh ooh I'll field this one -- 1992-93 season

Top 10 in no particular order

Shmichael Shmordan
Scottie Pippen
Karl Malone
John Stockton
Charles Barkley
Hakeem Olazshwayn
David Robinson
Patrick Ewing
Alonzo Mourning
Reggie Miller
Shaquille O'neal
Dikembe Mutombo
Dominique Wilkins

whoops that was 13

And I'd like to nominate for honorable mention, Dennis Rodman. Stick that dude on any contender this year and he'd put them over the edge.

Dwight Howard would be the 7th best center in the league in 92.

I do basically agree with the OP that there are only two superstars in the league, and I'm going to ignore the part about CP3 being a superstar.

MC Gusto
05-27-2014, 11:45 PM
CP3 is not a superstar. Ever since his knee injuries, he has not had the consistency that should be expected as a superstar, and also choked hard this year in the playoffs.
:applause: :applause: :applause:

The-Legend-24
05-27-2014, 11:45 PM
CP3. Stacked team, but still can't get past the second round.

But sure, superstar. :oldlol:

Tmuston Beltics
05-27-2014, 11:50 PM
Wait you forgot Paul George....

:roll:

tpols
05-27-2014, 11:55 PM
He's shooting 42% this postseason and is averaging over 4 turnovers a game.:oldlol:

Not saying he doesn't have the potential to be a superstar, but at the moment he still has ways to go.

He opened up the spurs series 28%.. definitely had a few really shitty games.. but he shot ~55% in the other two series and just went off today. I think the other 10+ good games should outweigh the 2-3 bad ones.. when hes bad hes really bad, and it drags his overall numbers way down. For the vast majority of the playoffs WB been great.

K Xerxes
05-28-2014, 12:21 AM
Call it one game, but Westbrook just dropped 40-10-5-5 in a crucial game down 2-1 in the WCF. Against the Spurs. Dude drops more duds than CP3 overall, but I don't EVER remember CP3 having a more impactful game in the circumstances.

I've also considered him to be the best PG since like 2008, and still do. No one plays the floor general position like him. But I'm having serious doubts now about who the best player is at the guard position. Westbrook has been a top 2 player in the playoffs, out of this world aside from FG%.

Personally will say we only have 2 superstars in this league. Don't think. CP3 is on Bron and Durants level, not after these playoffs.

iamgine
05-28-2014, 12:21 AM
Ooh ooh I'll field this one -- 1992-93 season

Top 10 in no particular order

Shmichael Shmordan
Scottie Pippen
Karl Malone
John Stockton
Charles Barkley
Hakeem Olazshwayn
David Robinson
Patrick Ewing
Alonzo Mourning
Reggie Miller
Shaquille O'neal
Dikembe Mutombo
Dominique Wilkins

whoops that was 13

And I'd like to nominate for honorable mention, Dennis Rodman. Stick that dude on any contender this year and he'd put them over the edge.

Dwight Howard would be the 7th best center in the league in 92.

I do basically agree with the OP that there are only two superstars in the league, and I'm going to ignore the part about CP3 being a superstar.
Curry not even close to Reggie Miller?

How is Carmelo not close to 92-93 Dominique?

Rookie Alonzo Mourning????

I don't know if I'd say Stockton was better than current Dirk

I.R.Beast
05-28-2014, 12:35 AM
I dont uderstand the man crush with chris paul....his numbers dont trump alot of the gusy he's said to be better than...he fails in the playoffs over and over....He's not a superstar and he's not even the best pg in the league...he's vastly overrated... Russell Westbrook is a bonafied superstar...there is no other PG in the league that brings what westbrook brings to the table...offense...scoring...rebounding...defense.. .intensity... FG% is overrated without context... If westbrook relied as heavily on the pick and roll as cp3 and parker did to score he's shoot somewhere in 50s....OKC is an iso heavy team...westbrook has to iso alot for his...

Just2McFly
05-28-2014, 12:36 AM

there's levels to this shit

Graviton
05-28-2014, 12:48 AM
The only true "superstar" is Lebron now that Kobe is done.

Durant isn't a superstar, he is just a media hyped "rival" to Lebron. Still a Top 3 player but far from a superstar impact wise. Same goes for "never made it past 2nd round" Paul. You can't call players "SUPERSTAR" when they haven't made any deep playoff runs, judging them based on pointless regular season numbers is idiotic. Superstars rise above the pressure and carry their teams, superstars strike fear in the eyes of their opponents, superstars make coaches adjust.

Westbrook the way he played tonight could be considered a "superstar", but again he is too inconsistent. Durant and Paul as well have shown weakness this year, they had some great games but they also choked and vanished in crucial stretches, being exposed when their shots are not falling.

Only Lebron is worthy of being called "Superstar" the way he has played in the last 3 years.

But I see you are throwing the word around after analyzing the box scores of those players, which is laughable and shows you nothing about their true impact. I could tell you exactly why Durant/Paul aren't superstars but I am sure for you FG% is the only important statistic. :oldlol:

Ne 1
05-28-2014, 01:10 AM
For example, look at the top superstar level players... 1983: Moses Malone, Bird, Magic, Kareem, Dr. J etc.
1993: Jordan, Hakeem, Barkley, Ewing, Robinson, Karl Malone, Pippen etc.
2003: KG, Dirk, Duncan, T-Mac, Kobe, Shaq, Kidd etc.
2013: LeBron, Durant, and then...who? CP3? Harden? Westbrook? past-prime Wade?

lol it's not even close. Weakest era of superstars.

TylerOO
05-28-2014, 01:11 AM
Cliff Paul aint a superstar doe.

Westbrook is. So I agree, we only have 3

Mrofir
05-28-2014, 01:17 AM
Curry not even close to Reggie Miller?

How is Carmelo not close to 92-93 Dominique?

Rookie Alonzo Mourning????

I don't know if I'd say Stockton was better than current Dirk

You picked out some good ones to try to snipe off my list of 13 strong. I have a lot of respect for Dirk but he's not the same player he once was so I'm going to leave that one right there..

As for the other two you mentioned, stats don't tell the whole story but --

Dominique Wilkins 92-93 -- 29.9ppg, 6.8rpg, 3.2apg, 1stl, 2.6TO
Carmelo Another 13-14 -- 25.5ppg, 7.5rpg, 2.9apg, 1.1stl, 2.4TO

So yes, Carmelo is in fact close, so he would qualify for the 92-93 top 13 if you wanted to split hairs. Fair enough. We could throw Curry and Miller up for grabs too. I think when it's all said and done Curry is probably a better player but they are also very different players, Curry has his hands on the ball a lot more.

As for rookie Alonzo mourning?

21ppg, 10.3rpg, 3.5blk -- nobody in the league as far as I know is putting up those kind of numbers and he was probably the 6th best center that year.

Moral of the story is, the league had more star power in the 90s than it does today, and there were about 10 teams from that league that would be legit contenders this season.

Real14
05-28-2014, 01:21 AM
http://blu.stb.s-msn.com/i/31/D9256AEB151C485356698999D71B58.jpg

MellowYellow
05-28-2014, 01:25 AM
You picked out some good ones to try to snipe off my list of 13 strong. I have a lot of respect for Dirk but he's not the same player he once was so I'm going to leave that one right there..

So yes, Carmelo is in fact close, so he would qualify for the 92-93 top 13 if you wanted to split hairs. Fair enough. We could throw Curry and Miller up for grabs too. I think when it's all said and done Curry is probably a better player but they are also very different players, Curry has his hands on the ball a lot more.

21ppg, 10.3rpg, 3.5blk -- nobody in the league as far as I know is putting up those kind of numbers and he was probably the 6th best center that year.

Moral of the story is, the league had more star power in the 90s than it does today, and there were about 10 teams from that league that would be legit contenders this season.
Where u getting your stats, Melo avged 27.4 ppg 8.1 rpg 3.1 apg 1.2 stl

Mrofir
05-28-2014, 01:27 AM
Where u getting your stats, Melo avged 27.4 ppg 8.1 rpg 3.1 apg 1.2 stl

I got them from I'm an idiot land

:facepalm

whoops.

However my general point still stands. I think.

iamgine
05-28-2014, 01:42 AM

First off, Anthony Davis and Blake Griffin is definitely putting that kind of number or better. And they plays in a slower team.

Second, are we generalizing the whole 90s now?

Sure the league had more starpower at certain years in the 90s, just like the league was full of starpower in mid 00s.

Of course there are 10 teams from any whole decade that will be legit contender in any particular year. :confusedshrug:

Mrofir
05-28-2014, 01:59 AM
First off, Anthony Davis and Blake Griffin is definitely putting that kind of number or better. And they plays in a slower team.

Second, are we generalizing the whole 90s now?

Of course there are 10 teams from any whole decade that will be legit contender in any particular year. :confusedshrug:

Addressing in order --

1) Anthony Davis does not score as much as rookie Mourning or rookie Shaq. Does not block as many shots as either. Does not rebound as well as rookie Shaq. Griffin rebounds less than everyone else and is not anywhere near the interior presence of any of the other mentioned players. Griffin is an unpolished floppier version of Barkley and I would take Sir Charles 7 days a week.

2) I was talking about the 92-93 season in particular, but most of these names could apply to the entire decade..

3) from the 92-93 season, here are the teams that would be favorites today:

Bulls
Suns
Knicks

The next 4 teams would be dark horse contenders:

Rockets
Sonics
Spurs
Jazz

The last 3 teams would have serious upset potential if they faced any of the remaining 4 teams from this year:

Hawks
Cavs
Blazers

iamgine
05-28-2014, 02:20 AM
Addressing in order --

1) Anthony Davis does not score as much as rookie Mourning or rookie Shaq. Does not block as many shots as either. Does not rebound as well as rookie Shaq. Griffin rebounds less than everyone else and is not anywhere near the interior presence of any of the other mentioned players. Griffin is an unpolished floppier version of Barkley and I would take Sir Charles 7 days a week.

2) I was talking about the 92-93 season in particular, but most of these names could apply to the entire decade..

3) from the 92-93 season, here are the teams that would be favorites today:

Bulls
Suns
Knicks

The next 4 teams would be dark horse contenders:

Rockets
Sonics
Spurs
Jazz

The last 3 teams would have serious upset potential if they faced any of the remaining 4 teams from this year:

Hawks
Cavs
Blazers
Who's talking about Shaq or Barkley? Shaq was a dominant force. So was Barkley.

Griffin is 24-10 guy, and that's playing with the most dominant rebounder. And slower pace. Davis certainly putting that kind of number or better. He just play in a much slower team than Mourning.

About half or more those names becomes old and wash up in the later part of 90s.

So contender means "Teams that has an off chance of beating anyone" Heck with generalization like that I think current Spurs, OKC, Rockets, GSW is a contender in any year.

MMM
05-28-2014, 02:24 AM
damn some of you guys are generous with your SuperStar labeling

not every perennial all star is a superstar

Mrofir
05-28-2014, 03:03 AM
So contender means "Teams that has an off chance of beating anyone" Heck with generalization like that I think current Spurs, OKC, Rockets, GSW is a contender in any year.

Only team that would be a serious contender any year would be the Heat. Spurs and OKC would be darkhorse at best in a league with those Knicks, Bulls, Suns..

iamgine
05-28-2014, 03:32 AM
Only team that would be a serious contender any year would be the Heat. Spurs and OKC would be darkhorse at best in a league with those Knicks, Bulls, Suns..
My point exactly

RoundMoundOfReb
05-28-2014, 04:08 AM

Adjust those stats for pace and league averages and they're essentially the same. Look at the PER.

East_Stone_Ya
05-28-2014, 04:31 AM
CP3 ain't no superstar yo

1987_Lakers
06-01-2014, 03:09 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-vi3GYcX23zo/U4qe-q46CMI/AAAAAAAAHKo/MAPhB6jq7fE/s1600/4.gif