PDA

View Full Version : Late game question: How long can you delay time by throwing the ball up in the air?

russwest0
05-29-2014, 01:07 AM
Does anyone know and is there some sort of rule against how high you can throw the ball up and does it have to be an actual shot attempt?

I ask this question because if you can get a guy the ball wide open with 5 seconds left in the game, up 2, is the best choice for him to release the ball before he can get fouled?

tanner892
05-29-2014, 01:12 AM
Can Lebron throw it high enough to skip the whole 4th quarter?

WTFdidNBAbigsGO
05-29-2014, 01:13 AM
hahahaahahaaha yeah the refs will implement running clock

russwest0
05-29-2014, 01:13 AM

:no: :no: :no:

https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/471868383323901952

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo now
More
On this night, Paul George had a LeBron like 4th quarter ... and LeBron had a ROUGH game. We recap

russwest0
05-29-2014, 01:29 AM
So I guess no one knows the rule on this one, eh?

Akrazotile
05-29-2014, 01:50 AM
Why would there be a rule against throwing the ball in the air :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Rose'sACL
05-29-2014, 01:52 AM
why would anyone throw the ball in air if the other team is trying to steal it or foul you? it is the easiest way to get the ball stolen from you.

Akrazotile
05-29-2014, 01:53 AM
Im just fukcin wit ya OP, yes there is a rule on how high you can throw it, the rule clearly states that a player may not throw a ball any higher than 17.4 feet in the air and if he appears to do so, officials will use a ladder and string to attempt to recreate the throw and measure its length, thus determining whether the opposing team should receive 5 shots and the ball.

russwest0
05-29-2014, 01:55 AM
why would anyone throw the ball in air if the other team is trying to steal it or foul you? it is the easiest way to get the ball stolen from you.

it's simple, just have an average FT shooter in the game, say, a bigman, and have him slip off of a screen into the backcourt while the best shooter is running a decoy play towards the basket. and since the bigman will receive no attention from the defense he will have room in the backcourt and will get the ball with 5 seconds and can then throw it up quickly, but with little velocity, to run out the clock.

Also, how long do you guys think the clock can be ran out just from tossing the ball in the air?

rhowen4
05-29-2014, 02:11 AM
i've always wondered about this too

Deuce Bigalow
05-29-2014, 02:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5bqF4VDSx4

inclinerator
05-29-2014, 02:22 AM
2-3 seconds

Heavincent
05-29-2014, 02:23 AM

lol I remember that.

tgan3
05-29-2014, 02:49 AM
If they throw it up to the rafters and it gets stuck somehow what happens?

monkeypox
05-29-2014, 03:08 AM
I seem to remember there being a rule about how high you can bounce the ball during a dead ball. You can get a T if it ends up bouncing back up higher than your head, so you see lots of NBA players slam the ball and quickly catch it to avoid the T. I remember once a player, I think it may have been Artest, tried to do it but fumbled the catch and got a T because it flew over his head. But I'm not aware of any rule that says there's a limit to how high you can throw a ball during regulation. I imagine the second it hit the rafters it would be out of bounds though.

stolper
05-29-2014, 03:19 AM
This is an awful strategy. Throwing the ball high in the air runs about 2-3 seconds off the clock at most. That leaves 2-3 seconds for a defender to grab the ball and get off a good shot. That is a much worse play than just keeping the ball and getting fouled.

You're basically trading a possible turnover and last second shot for FTs and a chance to extend the lead. It can work in some instances, but statistically throwing the ball in the air is far inferior to just shooting FTs and playing defense.

no pun intended
05-29-2014, 03:23 AM
This is an awful strategy. Throwing the ball high in the air runs about 2-3 seconds off the clock at most. That leaves 2-3 seconds for a defender to grab the ball and get off a good shot. That is a much worse play than just keeping the ball and getting fouled.

You're basically trading a possible turnover and last second shot for FTs and a chance to extend the lead. It can work in some instances, but statistically throwing the ball in the air is far inferior to just shooting FTs and playing defense.
Not if you're a notoriously terrible free throw shooting team.

Byobob
05-29-2014, 03:25 AM
I remember Wade doing it when they won the 2006 finals. Part of it was a celebration though as it is to run out the clock.

imnew09
05-29-2014, 03:33 AM
no more than 24 secs because that's clock violation

clipps
05-29-2014, 07:24 AM
Not any different from Magic rolling the ball to the other side of the court in 91 against the Blazers.

NZStreetBaller
05-29-2014, 07:45 AM
Im just fukcin wit ya OP, yes there is a rule on how high you can throw it, the rule clearly states that a player may not throw a ball any higher than 17.4 feet in the air and if he appears to do so, officials will use a ladder and string to attempt to recreate the throw and measure its length, thus determining whether the opposing team should receive 5 shots and the ball.

really??? haha thats extreme. how high are the roofs in most stadiums ??

Chizdog
05-29-2014, 08:04 AM
really??? haha thats extreme. how high are the roofs in most stadiums ??

:biggums:

Im so nba'd out
05-29-2014, 08:10 AM
i really see it this site is all about politics if milbuck said this joke people would be all over his dk praising him but some new guy says it crickets.........:durantunimpressed:

i thought it was funny new guy

DwnShft2Xcelr8
05-29-2014, 08:40 AM

This is what I instantly thought of when I read the thread title.

UK2K
05-29-2014, 08:57 AM
It would just be better to throw the ball towards your basket at a slow pace, fast enough where someone would have to sprint to catch it, but by that time would be at the other end of the court and would need at least a few (3-4) seconds to gather, stop, turn, and dribble to half court.

Realistically, in my mind, Im thinking you could waste at least 10 seconds off the clock if you did it right and didnt just throw it out.

Oly BC
05-29-2014, 09:33 AM
"Not long enough" apparently.

I also wondered why we aren't seeing this more often.