PDA

View Full Version : Philly Intrested in Dante Exum; Could Trade Michael Carter-Williams

Smook A.
05-29-2014, 02:31 AM
The Sixers are looking to add franchise players to their team in the upcoming 2014 NBA Draft -- even if they have to trade their current franchise player to do so.

According to Chad Ford of ESPN, the Sixers have "bounced around" the idea of trading point guard Michael Carter-Williams, who was named the 2013-2014 NBA Rookie of the Year earlier this month.

Why would the team consider moving Carter-Wiliams, who averaged 16.7 points, 6.3 assists and 6.2 rebounds last season? According to Ford, it could have to do with their love for Australian point guard Dante Exum.

Here is what Ford had to say on the idea of Carter-Williams leaving:

The Philadelphia 76ers are Exum fans as well and if Wiggins is off the board, he's in the mix. They think Exum and Carter-Williams could play together in the backcourt, though it would not be a very good shooting tandem. I think the more obvious fit comes if they trade Carter-Williams, an idea I'm told they have bounced around.

Exum, 6-foot-6, 196 pounds, is considered a much better prospect than Carter-Williams was, who was drafted 11th overall in the 2013 Draft. Although he also struggles shooting the ball, Exum is better at getting to the basket than Carter-Williams, and is quicker than the Rookie of the Year as well.

http://www.nj.com/sixers/index.ssf/2014/05/michael_carter-williams_trade_coming_report_says_sixers_have_cons idered_it.html

I don't know what to think of this :confusedshrug:

Im Still Ballin
05-29-2014, 02:32 AM
It's a trap.

no pun intended
05-29-2014, 02:34 AM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338845

Smook A.
05-29-2014, 02:36 AM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338845
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/Rennii/kpop%20gifs/2yw5rgn.gif

bdreason
05-29-2014, 02:42 AM
Trade your Rookie of the Year PG for an unproven PG draft prospect... am I missing something?

They already have young prospects at PG and Center... locked into nice rookie contracts. Stop over-thinking it, and grab a 3rd prospect to pair with them at a different position.

tgan3
05-29-2014, 02:45 AM
Didnt they say MCW rookie stats are comparable to Magic or something? If that is true sticking with MCW is better.

VIntageNOvel
05-29-2014, 02:49 AM
No, sorry lakers wouldnt trade exum for MCW

JUDGE WITNESS
05-29-2014, 03:02 AM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/Rennii/kpop%20gifs/2yw5rgn.gif
get with the program

Dr.J4ever
05-29-2014, 03:21 AM
http://www.nj.com/sixers/index.ssf/2014/05/michael_carter-williams_trade_coming_report_says_sixers_have_cons idered_it.html

No one is telling the truth at this time of the year. Everybody's faking it. It may or not be true.

One thing for sure, Hinckie always gets his man, and he is likely to win in the end. I am pretty confident of that.

JohnMax
05-29-2014, 04:00 AM
ISH is clueless when it comes to Dante Exum. There is a reason why teams think highly of him.

I have only seen him once in USA vs World competition and his first step and explosiveness made USA players look they were in Wilt Chamberlains era.

East_Stone_Ya
05-29-2014, 05:11 AM
if true **** philly and their organisation, they deserve to be shit for the next 10 years or so

Jailblazers7
05-29-2014, 07:15 AM
I like Exum from the little I've seen but I wouldn't take him over Wiggins. I wouldn't be upset at all if we took him over Jabari.

chocolatethunder
05-29-2014, 08:12 AM

This is not going to happen. In an interview after the lottery Sixers CEO Scott O'neil Said that there was no way that they would trade MCW and that it was absurd. He said that it would set them back another year because they just spent a year grooming him. There was a rumor already before the lottery that they were going to trade MCW and that's what he was addressing. The word is that Hinkie likes Wiggins not Exum.

Dr.J4ever
05-29-2014, 10:00 AM
This is not going to happen. In an interview after the lottery Sixers CEO Scott O'neil Said that there was no way that they would trade MCW and that it was absurd. He said that it would set them back another year because they just spent a year grooming him. There was a rumor already before the lottery that they were going to trade MCW and that's what he was addressing. The word is that Hinkie likes Wiggins not Exum.
Who do you have the Sixers getting for the 10th pick?

fatboy11
05-29-2014, 10:11 AM
Didnt they say MCW rookie stats are comparable to Magic or something? If that is true sticking with MCW is better.

MCW had the absolute green light on a horrible team. That's how he won ROY. I'm not trying to take anything away from him, but that's how he won the award. His % were nothing to write home about. Not trying to say he isn't or won't be a good player, but putting him in the same sentence as Magic Johnson is absurd. I don't care what the stats are.

But I do think they should stick with MCW and draft a player other than Exum.

Dr.J4ever
05-29-2014, 10:20 AM
MCW had the absolute green light on a horrible team. That's how he won ROY. I'm not trying to take anything away from him, but that's how he won the award. His % were nothing to write home about. Not trying to say he isn't or won't be a good player, but putting him in the same sentence as Magic Johnson is absurd. I don't care what the stats are.

But I do think they should stick with MCW and draft a player other than Exum.
I completely agree. However, MCW's stats are important on a team that is in a player development stage. Yes, much of his stats can be overlooked, but not the potential that those stats suggest.

A couple years ago OKC was in the same "player development stage", and it was KD developing his game on a very poor OKC or Sonic team.

chocolatethunder
05-29-2014, 10:32 AM
Who do you have the Sixers getting for the 10th pick?
I have no idea because there's not really been any word (rumors on WIP etc) who Hinkie likes there. I wouldn't be surprised if he moved up or down. I wouldn't be surprised if he traded Thad either but it will be difficult with his contract. I don't think they'll take Gordon there. It's possible they could take McDermott. It's also possible they could take a guard to pair with MCW but I don't think they'll take Harris because of his height. They would take Stauskas or maybe even Lavine before Harris. It's a total mystery but don't be surprised if he does something crazy. If they trade down I think they should go for Payne. Payne would go top 5 if he wasn't 23. The way they are building their team, they will need a stretch four and he's the only one in the draft who is ready. He's long and a total athletic freak. He could be a steal for someone at 15 (he's projected around there). Anyway, you're guess is as good as mine but I know that he likes Wiggins and I'm pretty confident that he'll get him.

Dr.J4ever
05-29-2014, 10:49 AM
I have no idea because there's not really been any word (rumors on WIP etc) who Hinkie likes there. I wouldn't be surprised if he moved up or down. I wouldn't be surprised if he traded Thad either but it will be difficult with his contract. I don't think they'll take Gordon there. It's possible they could take McDermott. It's also possible they could take a guard to pair with MCW but I don't think they'll take Harris because of his height. They would take Stauskas or maybe even Lavine before Harris. It's a total mystery but don't be surprised if he does something crazy. If they trade down I think they should go for Payne. Payne would go top 5 if he wasn't 23. The way they are building their team, they will need a stretch four and he's the only one in the draft who is ready. He's long and a total athletic freak. He could be a steal for someone at 15 (he's projected around there). Anyway, you're guess is as good as mine but I know that he likes Wiggins and I'm pretty confident that he'll get him.

The unknowable Hinkie! I'm worried too about their interest in Exum as discussed in this link....http://www.libertyballers.com/2014/5/29/5760580/report-sixers-have-bounced-around-idea-of-trading-michael-carter-dante-exum-andrew-wiggins

I am not sold at all on Exum. To be sure, I haven't seen him play at all, but scouts are basing all their reviews on his play at FIBA 19 ball and the Australian high school ball. Are we gonna draft someone this high based on such a limited and shaky competition?

I hope the Sixers wise up on Exum.

Jailblazers7
05-29-2014, 10:51 AM
The unknowable Hinkie! I'm worried too about their interest in Exum as discussed in this link....http://www.libertyballers.com/2014/5/29/5760580/report-sixers-have-bounced-around-idea-of-trading-michael-carter-dante-exum-andrew-wiggins

I am not sold at all on Exum. To be sure, I haven't seen him play at all, but scouts are basing all their reviews on his play at FIBA 19 ball and the Australian high school ball. Are we gonna draft someone this high based on such a limited and shaky competition?

I'd trust the decision if they took him. Brett Brown has Aussie connections so I'm sure that have a lot of good information of the kid.

christian1923
05-29-2014, 11:10 AM
I'll give them Tim hardaway Jr for MCW

chocolatethunder
05-29-2014, 11:13 AM

The Sixers don't have interest in him not at #3 at least. I heard Scott O'neil on 610 say that there was no way they were gonna trade MCW. They want Wiggins. I can't imagine they'd draft another guard who can't shoot. It's not happening.

Nastradamus
05-29-2014, 11:15 AM
They need to go another direction. No reason to take Exum.

Get Gary Harris at 10. He'd be sick in a backcourt with MCW. Get Wiggins or Parker at 3. Vonleh could pass Parker though if they see Parker as a 4.

Meticode
05-29-2014, 11:21 AM
I don't understand this if the Sixers are really considering it. You draft either Parker or Wiggins for SF. Depending on how well Noel turns out that would leave...

C - Noel
PF - Young
SF - Wiggins-or-Parker
SG - Wroten
PG - Carter-Williams

...Noel said a few days ago he's been 100% for months now and he's continuing to work out and that he'll be in the Summer League this year as well. All positive things. You have a solid core to start with. Young is still 25 years old and is already a veteran.

chocolatethunder
05-29-2014, 11:21 AM
They need to go another direction. No reason to take Exum.

Get Gary Harris at 10. He'd be sick in a backcourt with MCW. Get Wiggins or Parker at 3. Vonleh could pass Parker though if they see Parker as a 4.
Harris is too small. He's a good defender but his size is no good. I'd rather have Stauskas or Lavine. Lavine will suck for a couple of years but he can shoot and has a high upside. Stauskas is a foreal shooter and is still improving.

fatboy11
05-29-2014, 11:51 AM
I completely agree. However, MCW's stats are important on a team that is in a player development stage. Yes, much of his stats can be overlooked, but not the potential that those stats suggest.

A couple years ago OKC was in the same "player development stage", and it was KD developing his game on a very poor OKC or Sonic team.

No doubt. Which is why I said I think they should stick with MCW and draft someone like Wiggins. MCW has proven that he can produce at the NBA level and figures to improve upon that. We don't know what will happen with Exum. Just don't like him being compared to Magic in any way right now.

Eric Cartman
05-29-2014, 12:14 PM
If they really want Exum, they can draft him, but why trade MCW?

They could have a dynamic duo at point guard just like the Phoenix Suns.

HurricaneKid
05-29-2014, 12:14 PM
MCW's stats are important on a team that is in a player development stage. Yes, much of his stats can be overlooked, but not the potential that those stats suggest.

MCW was top 3 in the league in TOs and shot .480TS%. He was WELL below an average offensive player.

As for potential, he will be 23 for the next NBA game he plays. Exum will be starting his 4th year when he hits 23 giving him WAY more "potential". MCW is probably the worst ROY ever and is not nearly an average NBA starter. And he doesn't even project to become one.

hawkfan
05-29-2014, 12:17 PM
The Kings could offer their first round pick (within top 10) and another player (say Carl Landry) for Michael Carter-Williams.

That's about a good a deal as they would get.

chocolatethunder
05-29-2014, 12:21 PM
MCW was top 3 in the league in TOs and shot .480TS%. He was WELL below an average offensive player.

As for potential, he will be 23 for the next NBA game he plays. Exum will be starting his 4th year when he hits 23 giving him WAY more "potential". MCW is probably the worst ROY ever and is not nearly an average NBA starter. And he doesn't even project to become one.
I see all of what you're saying and as a Sixer fan I don't care if they do get rid of him but they won't. And they won't for Exum who can't shoot either and isn't as good of a passer.

Dr.J4ever
05-29-2014, 12:48 PM

I just disagree. It's not all about stats, but what you see in his game.
Below are Kevin Durant's numbers in his 1st year with the old Sonics:

Year Team GP GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG SPG BPG PPG

Jailblazers7
05-29-2014, 01:09 PM
Harris is too small. He's a good defender but his size is no good. I'd rather have Stauskas or Lavine. Lavine will suck for a couple of years but he can shoot and has a high upside. Stauskas is a foreal shooter and is still improving.

I really don't see a huge problem with Harris' height. He was measured at 6'4.5" in shoes at the combine, which is good enough imo. He is only giving up an 1-1.5 inches to most SG if he is even giving up anything. I do like Stauskas tho he has some nice skills with the ball and his stroke is pure. I could see him turning into a better version of what JJ Redick is right now on the Clippers.

Johnny Jones
05-29-2014, 01:26 PM
[QUOTE=Dr.J4ever]I just disagree. It's not all about stats, but what you see in his game.

HurricaneKid
05-29-2014, 01:47 PM
[QUOTE=Dr.J4ever]I just disagree. It's not all about stats, but what you see in his game.

longtime lurker
05-29-2014, 09:00 PM
Carter Williams and #10 to Lakers for #7? Philly can draft Exum at #3 and still get a guaranteed shot at one of Smart, Randle or Vonleh. Lakers can pick Saric at #10. Fill two positions in one shot and still have money left over for free agency.

dreamwarrior
05-29-2014, 09:06 PM
Why would you trade an NBA-proven PG who's going to improve year after year for a guy who dominated a soft Aussie league and yet doesn't appear to be NBA-ready?

veilside23
05-29-2014, 09:13 PM
who is better defensively ? exum or MCW.

better passer . i will give it to MCW

slashing . exum maybe

mid range . mcw for me

mcw + wiggins + noel ... DEFENSE

raprap
05-29-2014, 09:22 PM
Cant blame the sixers. Exum will be a much better player than mcw. Mcw stats are inflated with the sixers.