PDA

View Full Version : The Art of Extending a Series - Now Featuring The Pacers

HoopsFanNumero1
05-29-2014, 07:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJsdQazLi0c&feature=youtu.be

This should make for a great training session to prepare new refs in the future.

JohnnySic
05-29-2014, 07:56 AM
Exactly right. The league wants the Heat in the Finals but they also want to milk it so they put LeBron into foul trouble. If it was game 7 do you think that would have happened? Not on your life.

Warfan
05-29-2014, 07:59 AM
Just, bad calls...

Still, Bosh was couple inches off from sending Miami to the finals...

Jameerthefear
05-29-2014, 08:01 AM
Every single one of those except the charge were bullshit

SpaceJammeR
05-29-2014, 08:09 AM
even the lebron haters can't deny this. they'll try to but they're only lying to themselves. only legit foul was on hibbert. the one with lance should've been a no call or a foul on stephenson for grabbing bron. the charge was obvious a block, people saying lebron leaned with his shoulder but george was moving so he wasn't supposed to be there. i don't get that call. the foul on george hill was the most bogus one where hill drove his elbow into lebron but lebron gets the call.

HoopsFanNumero1
05-29-2014, 08:59 AM
Exactly right. The league wants the Heat in the Finals but they also want to milk it so they put LeBron into foul trouble. If it was game 7 do you think that would have happened? Not on your life.

I thought that in last year's game 6 against the Spurs too, but it didn't happen. Nor did it happen in game 7. But yes, I agree the league most likely does want the Heat in the Finals. However, they don't need any referee interference to get there, nor do I think they have gotten any. The Pacers most certainly do.

I understand home-cooking but yesterday's referees were just on another level. People will still hide behind the "Oh, refs are just human" excuse, but it was beyond obvious what their intentions were.

chazzy
05-29-2014, 09:32 AM
Meh, not as bad as teary eyed Bron stans made it sound. Only the first foul was really bad

plowking
05-29-2014, 11:09 AM
Meh, not as bad as teary eyed Bron stans made it sound. Only the first foul was really bad

Where exactly did he foul Lance when diving for the ball?
How about on the "charge"? How is it a charge, when the defenders feet are next to Lebron's feet when contact is made. The whole point of the rule is to be in front of your man. That isn't even a 50/50 call. Yes, you can be moving, but the dudes feet aren't even in front of Bron. He has no position.

I initially thought the Hibbert one was the worst of all, as I thought there was no contact, but he clearly gets him on the arm and owns up to it.

Where is the harm in saying he got screwed? He clearly did, and it was obvious as hell that it was intentional. There is no way that was organic throughout the natural flow of the game.

Keno
05-29-2014, 11:14 AM
what about the second one were he mysteriously touched hill. or what about the 5th one were lance is fouling lebron first, but the refs call it on lebron. all of them were bad, only one you can debate is the 3rd one which could go either way.

nashwade
05-29-2014, 11:14 AM
Every single one of those except the charge were bullshit

clearly a moving screen, clearly

Keno
05-29-2014, 11:16 AM
http://instagram.com/p/okT56bOFZ1/

lol. lance holding lebron during the loose ball. but lebron gets called for the foul.

TheGreatDeraj
05-29-2014, 11:34 AM
The first Lebron foul should have been on Bosh. It looked like Bosh tripped George, but because Lebron reached the refs thought it was Lebron who tripped him

The second one was just a dumbass foul by Lebron. Lebron ran in front of Hill without defensive position and made contact on a fast break layup attempt. Standard call especially when the illegal contact slowed Hill down enough for Haslem to block the shot.

The third foul was crap. I hated that charge call. How is jumping in front of someone and falling down defense? What has the NBA become...

Fourth foul was just a dumb foul by Lebron. 20 seconds into the second half with 3 fouls and Lebron unwisely tries to poke the ball away as Hibbert got the offensive rebound and shot it, but instead hit him on the arm for a touch foul. Good call, but a low IQ play by Lebron because he already had 3 fouls and didn't have a very good shot at the steal anyways.

Fifth foul was the right call as much as I hate those loose ball fouls. Lebron did a good job "boxing out" on Stephenson and then Stephenson with the great swim move to get past Lebron. All that contact was fine and it was a race to the ball where Stephenson was about to get the ball and Lebron dove and took out his legs causing Stephenson to fall, the ref had to call the foul.

only 3/5 were deserved imo

Droid101
05-29-2014, 11:43 AM
Salt.

DuMa
05-29-2014, 12:19 PM
dont forget the 6th foul that the refs missed.

https://vine.co/v/MdrW5AEHrmt

Dresta
05-29-2014, 12:28 PM

:roll: :roll:

Stephenson

:facepalm

Solefade
05-29-2014, 12:30 PM

i was legit worried that they would call that BS on bron when lance flopped :roll:

BigTicket
05-29-2014, 12:43 PM
Foul #1 could have been on Lebron, hard to tell from this angle.
Foul #2 doesn't exist
Foul #3 was clearly on Paul George
Foul #4 should have been on Hibbert if there was any call at all. His shove on Bosh is a lot harder than anything Lebron did.
Foul #5 is the only correct call, as Lebron is clearly using his arms to hold Stephenson back.

Just to be clear I am not buying any of the conspiracy theory stuff, I think the refs just made some bad calls. Everyone has an off night sometimes, and yesterday that happened to be the refs.

Ne 1
05-29-2014, 12:54 PM
Seriously, the loss in revenue/tv ratings from having a series end in 4 or 5 games instead if going 6 or 7 or not getting the ideal teams in the Finals, is far lower than the losses would be if there was even a hint of the league fixing series. You tin foil hat conspiracy theorists think rigging the games is a no-risk, maximum reward ploy, when in reality loads of people could go to prison and have their lives ruined.

Also, if you really believe that the NBA is scripted or that the outcome of games or series are predetermined, than why watch basketball? You conspiracy theorist people are nuts. If it's fixed, get out of this abusive relationship and stop being a consumer.
Are games sometimes poorly officiated? Sure. Is there some grand conspiracy by the league to fix the outcome of playoff series and the outcome of games are decided beforehand? No. Also, refs are only human and they make mistakes and they miss things. The players make mistakes, the coaches make mistakes, and the refs are going to make them.

Straight_Ballin
05-29-2014, 12:59 PM
As if Bron in foul trouble should impact the stacked heat.

tpols
05-29-2014, 01:03 PM
Seriously, the loss in revenue/tv ratings from having a series end in 4 or 5 games instead if going 6 or 7 or not getting the ideal teams in the Finals, is far lower than the losses would be if there was even a hint of the league fixing series. You tin foil hat conspiracy theorists think rigging the games is a no-risk, maximum reward ploy, when in reality loads of people could go to prison and have their lives ruined.

Also, if you really believe that the NBA is scripted or that the outcome of games or series are predetermined, than why watch basketball? You conspiracy theorist people are nuts. If it's fixed, get out of this abusive relationship and stop being a consumer.
Are games sometimes poorly officiated? Sure. Is there some grand conspiracy by the league to fix the outcome of playoff series and the outcome of games are decided beforehand? No. Also, refs are only human and they make mistakes and they miss things. The players make mistakes, the coaches make mistakes, and the refs are going to make them.

Its not scripted or pre-determined, but there's obvious homecooking in that last game for indy. The way they reffed that game they would never ever ever ref it in miami or in a game 7.

You think the refs call all these touch fouls on bran in the last game of the series or in any pivotal game for that matter?? There's no way in hell.. expect a massive turn around next game.. either PG or Hibbert are going to get in early foul trouble allowing lebron to go off. It will be a blowout.

BigTicket
05-29-2014, 01:04 PM
Its not scripted or pre-determined, but there's obvious homecooking in that last game for indy. The way they reffed that game they would never ever ever ref it in miami or in a game 7.

You think the refs call all these touch fouls on bran in the last game of the series or in any pivotal game for that matter?? There's no way in hell.. expect a massive turn around next game.. either PG or Hibbert are going to get in early foul trouble allowing lebron to go off. It will be a blowout.

I hope not, I would much rather have a fairly reffed game, and hopefully a close one.

It's not much fun watching a blowout.

TheMan
05-29-2014, 01:16 PM
I'm nuetral, I even like LeBron but let's not pretend Bran doesn't get away with a ton of offensive fouls. Having said that, I really did see two legit fouls out of those five.

TheMan
05-29-2014, 01:19 PM

There was homecooking for the Heat in GM 4:confusedshrug:

Dresta
05-29-2014, 01:21 PM
Anyone know how the refs get paid? i.e. an extra amount of money for each playoff game officiated or whatever? Because if they get paid per game they are chosen there is a clear internal incentive to extend series as much as possible.

tpols
05-29-2014, 01:38 PM
There was homecooking for the Heat in GM 4:confusedshrug:

Im not saying the heat dont get homecooking.. they get the second most in the whole league after OKC. Bron just runs into people, clears out all the time and gets calls for himself.. he was allowed to bully Joe johnson but when JJ did the same thing to him he got whistled. He constantly gets away with contact he created..

WB is the worst though.. just explode into the paint swinging elbows/arms and fall into the first row while screaming.. automatic points.

oarabbus
05-29-2014, 01:43 PM
Im not saying the heat dont get homecooking.. they get the second most in the whole league after OKC. Bron just runs into people, clears out all the time and gets calls for himself.. he was allowed to bully Joe johnson but when JJ did the same thing to him he got whistled. He constantly gets away with contact he created..

WB is the worst though.. just explode into the paint swinging elbows/arms and fall into the first row while screaming.. automatic points.

To be fair he does get hacked on nearly every drive since he's so explosive.

JohnnySic
05-29-2014, 01:47 PM
Funny how they often make mistakes towards the result of extending a series. :wtf:

Like I said before, if it was game 7, would LeBron have gotten into foul trouble? He could probably run over Pacers with his car and the refs wouldn't call anything. But hey, game 6 is in Miami, they probably close there anyway so why not?

I'm hardly a Heat/LeBron fan but I hate seeing the league pull crap like this.

DuMa
05-29-2014, 01:51 PM
Anyone know how the refs get paid? i.e. an extra amount of money for each playoff game officiated or whatever? Because if they get paid per game they are chosen there is a clear internal incentive to extend series as much as possible.

Paul George fined 25k for bagging on the refs.

HurricaneKid
05-29-2014, 02:43 PM

Each of the officials gets paid (and not an insignificant amount) based on the number of assignments (per game basis). The further along the playoffs get the fewer assignments and the more they get paid for each game. Here is the rub: as the playoffs advance officials are awarded the assignments based on merit. So the better your officiating, the more assignments you get. So your reviews dictate your income, your assignments, etc.

When I was in college I worked part time as a bouncer in a cool college bar. I was given a bonus for taking fake IDs. I got really good and made a lot of money for a while. But I got TOO good. And soon the place was almost empty. My boss was under pressure to get sales volumes up to previous levels and stopped the fake ID bonus. The first night I took IDs anyways. When I went back to give them to my boss he went ballistic and threw them at me. He couldn't tell me to let in all the minors but he took away all my incentive to keep them out and cut my hours until I got the message (I got it pretty quick).

Its the same here. I would bet that Ed Malloy and his team gets a favorable review for his officiating last night and get to officiate in the Finals. Bad officiating can happen. Its difficult at the HS and college levels and almost impossible at the NBA level. But this thing where Dick Javey stands up for the call no matter what absurdity was called and officials aren't held to a common standard impairs the league and its growth. Officials reviews should be transparent. This backhanded way of rewarding substandard officiating through "merit" assignments has led to the league shaping this archaic standard (give the home team the advantage so their fans leave happy) that simply doesn't apply to the way sports are consumed in today's age.

sportjames23
05-29-2014, 03:08 PM
High sodium content in this thread. :oldlol:

Dengness9
05-29-2014, 03:26 PM
Next thing you fake ass Heat stans will want a flagrant assessed for Lance blowing in Lbgay's ear.

you bitches cry about everything

cltcfn2924
05-29-2014, 03:47 PM
Where exactly did he foul Lance when diving for the ball?
How about on the "charge"? How is it a charge, when the defenders feet are next to Lebron's feet when contact is made. The whole point of the rule is to be in front of your man. That isn't even a 50/50 call. Yes, you can be moving, but the dudes feet aren't even in front of Bron. He has no position.

I initially thought the Hibbert one was the worst of all, as I thought there was no contact, but he clearly gets him on the arm and owns up to it.

Where is the harm in saying he got screwed? He clearly did, and it was obvious as hell that it was intentional. There is no way that was organic throughout the natural flow of the game.

Wow, you didn't see the forearm shiver to PG? Seriously? You missed him shove Lance out of the way? You must wear those red colored glasses.

Kingwillball
05-29-2014, 03:47 PM
The first Lebron foul should have been on Bosh. It looked like Bosh tripped George, but because Lebron reached the refs thought it was Lebron who tripped him

The second one was just a dumbass foul by Lebron. Lebron ran in front of Hill without defensive position and made contact on a fast break layup attempt. Standard call especially when the illegal contact slowed Hill down enough for Haslem to block the shot.

The third foul was crap. I hated that charge call. How is jumping in front of someone and falling down defense? What has the NBA become...

Fourth foul was just a dumb foul by Lebron. 20 seconds into the second half with 3 fouls and Lebron unwisely tries to poke the ball away as Hibbert got the offensive rebound and shot it, but instead hit him on the arm for a touch foul. Good call, but a low IQ play by Lebron because he already had 3 fouls and didn't have a very good shot at the steal anyways.

Fifth foul was the right call as much as I hate those loose ball fouls. Lebron did a good job "boxing out" on Stephenson and then Stephenson with the great swim move to get past Lebron. All that contact was fine and it was a race to the ball where Stephenson was about to get the ball and Lebron dove and took out his legs causing Stephenson to fall, the ref had to call the foul.

only 3/5 were deserved imo

Well if he only had 3 would of seen a different player and on the court a lot more.

Rose'sACL
05-29-2014, 03:55 PM
Next thing you fake ass Heat stans will want a flagrant assessed for Lance blowing in Lbgay's ear.

you bitches cry about everything
Bulls (1966-present) - 6 titles
Conference title- 6
Chicago population- 2.715 million

Heat(1988-present)- 3 titles
Conference titles- 4(pretty much 5 now)
Miami population- 413,892

now i get why you are worried. You got a 22 yr head start and it looks like miami is pretty close now given that they have a championship contending team right now and you don't.

Dresta
05-29-2014, 03:58 PM
Each of the officials gets paid (and not an insignificant amount) based on the number of assignments (per game basis). The further along the playoffs get the fewer assignments and the more they get paid for each game. Here is the rub: as the playoffs advance officials are awarded the assignments based on merit. So the better your officiating, the more assignments you get. So your reviews dictate your income, your assignments, etc.

When I was in college I worked part time as a bouncer in a cool college bar. I was given a bonus for taking fake IDs. I got really good and made a lot of money for a while. But I got TOO good. And soon the place was almost empty. My boss was under pressure to get sales volumes up to previous levels and stopped the fake ID bonus. The first night I took IDs anyways. When I went back to give them to my boss he went ballistic and threw them at me. He couldn't tell me to let in all the minors but he took away all my incentive to keep them out and cut my hours until I got the message (I got it pretty quick).

Its the same here. I would bet that Ed Malloy and his team gets a favorable review for his officiating last night and get to officiate in the Finals. Bad officiating can happen. Its difficult at the HS and college levels and almost impossible at the NBA level. But this thing where Dick Javey stands up for the call no matter what absurdity was called and officials aren't held to a common standard impairs the league and its growth. Officials reviews should be transparent. This backhanded way of rewarding substandard officiating through "merit" assignments has led to the league shaping this archaic standard (give the home team the advantage so their fans leave happy) that simply doesn't apply to the way sports are consumed in today's age.
If this is the case that is a terrible system and no wonder the reffing gets so much criticism. The personal incentives are completely skewed to extend the series, and there is no need for any actual rigging. Just refs doing what is best for themselves.

HurricaneKid
05-29-2014, 04:03 PM
If this is the case that is a terrible system and no wonder the reffing gets so much criticism. The personal incentives are completely skewed to extend the series, and there is no need for any actual rigging. Just refs doing what is best for themselves.

Its only an awful system because the league rewards the poor officiating and doesn't share the reviews.

Everyone does what their employer incentivizes. That is largely how people become "good employees".

Cuban has been highly outspoken about the broken system since before the 06 embarrassment.

ArbitraryWater
05-29-2014, 06:49 PM

:biggums: