PDA

View Full Version : Darren Collison to become free agent.

EricGordon23
05-29-2014, 03:14 PM
http://prosportsdaily.com/articles/source-darren-collison-will-opt-out-become-free-agent-306862.html

Where does he go? Golden state maybe? Detroit possibly? If toronto can't retain vasquez do they go for collison?

What are your thoughts ish who needs him?

KendrickPerkins
05-29-2014, 03:15 PM
Inb4 he goes to Miami. :facepalm

dannywpt
05-29-2014, 03:18 PM
Is he good?

Haymaker
05-29-2014, 03:19 PM
He ain't all that. He sucked for Indiana.

Dr Seuss
05-29-2014, 03:22 PM
Playing behind CP3, collison has always been fantastic. but when given the starting PG job full time, hes been very underwhelming. maybe he gets another shot at a starting job next year, cause theres a few teams that could use him. but buyer, beware.

Jlamb47
05-29-2014, 03:27 PM
He had some good games this post season. I think hes capable of a starting role but i dont see him getting one. But idk where would be a godo spot for him

fatboy11
05-29-2014, 03:32 PM
Opting out does not preclude him from re-upping with the Clippers. I think he stays put at a higher cost.

IncarceratedBob
05-29-2014, 03:40 PM
He's said he wants to play in NY so if the Knicks are willing to sign him then it's all but done

Kiddlovesnets
05-29-2014, 04:22 PM
CP3 does get very good backup PG for himself.

bdreason
05-29-2014, 04:26 PM
We can't afford him.

JohnMax
05-29-2014, 04:30 PM
Collison does not want Sterling to make money off of him

kshutts1
05-29-2014, 04:32 PM
Pretty sure he stays with the Clippers, assuming there are no CBA rules in place to prohibit his resigning.

But, from this list...
http://*********.com/free_agency_2014.htm

The FAs we should be discussing (starting at #7, cuz none of the top 6 will leave) are Lowry, Monroe, Deng, Gasol, Stephenson, Gortat, Hawes... and a few other, less noteworthy, players.

EricGordon23
05-29-2014, 04:38 PM
Pretty sure he stays with the Clippers, assuming there are no CBA rules in place to prohibit his resigning.

But, from this list...

The FAs we should be discussing (starting at #7, cuz none of the top 6 will leave) are Lowry, Monroe, Deng, Gasol, Stephenson, Gortat, Hawes... and a few other, less noteworthy, players.

Lowry will 100% stay

GimmeThat
05-29-2014, 04:47 PM
I guess my question for NBA players is whether they think they get a better chance for a pay day by starting somewhere

Or do they simply enjoy help building something new with another team and franchise?

Force
05-29-2014, 04:53 PM
He wants to stay in LA. He playing 45 minutes away from where he grew up. His whole family is here. He can't start 82 games for you but he's a very capable player. For a guy making 1m a year, getting a raise to even a 2 year deal for 5 m is a huge raise. Good luck to DC on getting that money.

gts
05-29-2014, 05:32 PM

But, from this list...

Clippers have his Bird Rights correct? If they do they can sign him...

Not Sure about Clippers payroll I'd have to look it up but I think they're way over the cap and any free agents like the ones you posted will be out of their price range... I think the max they have to use is the Mini MLE at around 2.5 million...

Then there's the Sterling mess and what effect that will have...

kshutts1
05-30-2014, 08:12 AM
Clippers have his Bird Rights correct? If they do they can sign him...

Not Sure about Clippers payroll I'd have to look it up but I think they're way over the cap and any free agents like the ones you posted will be out of their price range... I think the max they have to use is the Mini MLE at around 2.5 million...

Then there's the Sterling mess and what effect that will have...
Was not talking about just the Clippers... just FAs in general.

05-30-2014, 08:54 AM
Ironic how when he was at UCLA, he was the starting PG over Russell Westbrook.

Both come in the league and look how things turn out. :roll:

Collision is great as a backup. He would only start if the regular starting pg was injured.

Rooster
05-30-2014, 10:44 AM
Ironic how when he was at UCLA, he was the starting PG over Russell Westbrook.

Both come in the league and look how things turn out. :roll:

Collision is great as a backup. He would only start if the regular starting pg was injured.

That was Westbrook freshman year though. Both of them were not highly regarded coming out from high school and you would be lying if you think they were NBA prospects back then.

I think Collison is looking more for a bigger contract than a bigger role. He has proven himself especially as a backup and he should get a longer contract on average salary .

SwishSquared
05-30-2014, 11:11 AM
He's been great as a backup for CP3 both in NO and now in LA. I think he's opting out to get a deal that pays in the $3M range. His first choice likely will be LAC, as he seemingly loves his coach and that team can contend for next few years. Also, with the ownership change, there's no reason to leave due to the Sterling fiasco. I think Ballmer is the wealthiest owner in the league, so he'll have no issue spending big bucks on the roster.

I read an article saying they have the non-tax payer's MLE, as opposed to the mini-MLE. Is that true? If they have the former, they should use it on a backup big like Hawes. Not a great defensive presence, but he shot 45.5% from downtown in catch-and-shoot opportunities in CLE. Can probably play with either Blake and DJ and he has legit size. They need frontcourt depth badly, or they could try to upgrade at SF. Barnes is solid and pretty cheap, but Dudley is dead weight. Wonder if there's anyway they can package Bullock + Dudley + filler + 1st for Ariza in S&T (I'm unsure if Wizards would even do that though). Not like Doc plays younger guys like Bullock much anyway.

05-30-2014, 11:13 AM
That was Westbrook freshman year though. Both of them were not highly regarded coming out from high school and you would be lying if you think they were NBA prospects back then.

I think Collison is looking more for a bigger contract than a bigger role. He has proven himself especially as a backup and he should get a longer contract on average salary .

I don't disagree with you.

My post meant to be hindsight 20/20.

Rooster
05-30-2014, 11:19 AM
I don't disagree with you.

My post meant to be hindsight 20/20.

Also I think Collison went to UCLA to backup Farmar. I think his mother was worried about that because he could went to different school and started. But looking back now, I think Ben Howland knows how to prepare players to the next level.

Nastradamus
05-30-2014, 11:19 AM
He should stay. He's playing his ideal role.

jbryan1984
05-30-2014, 11:43 AM
He is the perfect back up point guard, not a reliable starter though. Like Jarrett Jack, before we signed him of course.:cry: