PDA

View Full Version : Cavs to interview Lionel Hollins for head coach position

All Net
05-30-2014, 04:18 AM
Of all the guys being interviewed he's the best coach out there imo.

Currently they are looking at

Gentry
Griffin
Lue

To name a few.

poido123
05-30-2014, 04:19 AM
embiid and Hollins.

That would be a 2 run home run.

AnaheimLakers24
jvg should coach lakers. him or larry brown

navy
Hollins is old school. Will the new GM like him?

All Net
05-30-2014, 04:31 AM
embiid and Hollins.

That would be a 2 run home run.
Agreed plus max cap space to play with.

Milbuck
05-30-2014, 04:33 AM
Seeing what he did with Zbo and Marc in Memphis, this is an easy decision. Hollins would be terrific with them if they had an elite big man...and the Cavs have a chance to draft perhaps the best big man prospect since Tim Duncan. Should be a no brainer imo.

poido123
05-30-2014, 04:40 AM
Agreed plus max cap space to play with.

What is their cap situation out of interest?

They have some talent over there.

Nevermind 17.5 mill under :eek:

RedBlackAttack
05-30-2014, 04:43 AM
Word is Billy Donovan still isn't out of the conversation, either.

Adrian Griffin interviewed today... apparently he's getting very high marks. Quite honestly, selecting a coach seems like a bit of a crapshoot. Getting the right guy at the right time for the right situation...

All I can do is hope they hit it right. Lots of talent on that roster.

RedBlackAttack
05-30-2014, 04:45 AM
There are reports that Hollins is the front-runner currently and it would take someone hitting it out of the park in the interviews to overtake him.

I'm surprised, because Hollins is noted for being old school and not trusting analytics, while Cavs' GM David Griffin is an analytics guy all the way. But, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to the hire.

coin24
05-30-2014, 04:53 AM
I like it:applause:

What FA can they go after? If they do have a healthy Embiid, Hollins, current roster plus one or 2 decent FAs they should easily make the playoffs next season...

Milbuck
05-30-2014, 05:00 AM

What FA can they go after? If they do have a healthy Embiid, Hollins, current roster plus one or 2 decent FAs they should easily make the playoffs next season...
Kyrie
Dion
Lebron
TT
Embiid

Coached by Lionel Hollins..

That team is sweeping the Eastern conference.

NumberSix
05-30-2014, 05:06 AM
Certainly a step up from Mr. Potato Head

poido123
05-30-2014, 05:07 AM
Word is Billy Donovan still isn't out of the conversation, either.

Adrian Griffin interviewed today... apparently he's getting very high marks. Quite honestly, selecting a coach seems like a bit of a crapshoot. Getting the right guy at the right time for the right situation...

All I can do is hope they hit it right. Lots of talent on that roster.

If you have a team full of talent, you're probably going to need to manage egos.

Phil would turn this team into a powerhouse, he was great at it :D

poido123
05-30-2014, 05:08 AM
There are reports that Hollins is the front-runner currently and it would take someone hitting it out of the park in the interviews to overtake him.

I'm surprised, because Hollins is noted for being old school and not trusting analytics, while Cavs' GM David Griffin is an analytics guy all the way. But, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to the hire.

At least Hollins has proven himself as a head coach on at least one team and not just hiring some rookie off reputation.

East_Stone_Ya
05-30-2014, 05:11 AM
this would be nice for the cavs, Hollins would restore the order

RedBlackAttack
05-30-2014, 05:17 AM

Looking at the way the roster is shaping up...

PG - Kyrie Irving / Jarrett Jack
SG - Dion Waiers / CJ Miles
SF - Alonzo Gee
PF - Anthony Bennett / Tristan Thompson (yes, I think AB starts)
C - Joel Embiid / Anderson Varejao / Tyler Zeller

...we're going to need to fill the SF spot, preferably with some shooting/floor spacer. The most obvious choice among the UFA class would probably be Trevor Ariza. He can shoot and defend, which is really all we need in this scenario.

There's also a chance we could go after Gordon Hayward, which I wouldn't be completely opposed to. He's best as a 3rd/4th option on a good team. The Jazz were using him as a first option. He'd be a good fit.

Then, there's also the possibility of a trade. When Embiid is drafted, and if Bennett begins to take over at the 4 spot (I really believe this will eventually happen), Zeller and Tristan become expendable.

I wouldn't rule out a trade of both or either.

Lots of options with this roster, cap space and future picks. They have the ammunition to pull off a deal no one sees coming. I wonder what it would take to pry Kawhi Leonard away from the Spurs? He'd be the perfect fit, imo.

All Net
05-30-2014, 05:22 AM

Who do you want red?

RedBlackAttack
05-30-2014, 05:22 AM
At least Hollins has proven himself as a head coach on at least one team and not just hiring some rookie off reputation.
Yeah, like I said, I'd be good with it. I do think, with this team being so young, going in the direction of a college coach or one of the younger options available like Griffin or Lue might not be a bad idea.

But, I'm fine with Hollins... especially with Embiid coming in.

poido123
05-30-2014, 05:24 AM
Yeah, like I said, I'd be good with it. I do think, with this team being so young, going in the direction of a college coach or one of the younger options available like Griffin or Lue might not be a bad idea.

But, I'm fine with Hollins... especially with Embiid coming in.

Overseeing what Marc Gasol did with Memphis, I'm sure he could pass some valuable tips onto Embiid I'm sure.

RedBlackAttack
05-30-2014, 05:27 AM
Who do you want red?
I was really liking the idea of Billy Donovan. Yeah, it's always a risk when you bring in a college guy with no NBA experience, but he has a great system and seems great at relating to young guys.

When you consider this is our core:

Kyrie Irving (22)
Joel Embiid (20)
Dion Waiters (22)
Tristan Thompson (23)
Anthony Bennett (21)

...bringing in a guy with such a great track record relating to young basketball players makes a lot of sense.

Outside of that possibility, I really don't have a strong preference. The only name that has been mentioned that I want nothing to do with is Vinny DelNegro, but word seems to be he was interviewed for an assistant's role, not as a head coach.

Right now, the list seems to be narrowed to something like this:

Lionel Hollins
Adrian Griffin
Tyrunn Lue
Alvin Gentry
Billy Donovan (if he's truly interested)

I wouldn't be strongly opposed to any of them. If Donovan's not in the mix, I guess I'd go with either Hollins or Griffin if I had to make a choice.

poido123
05-30-2014, 05:31 AM
I never knew Vinny actually coached :lol

coin24
05-30-2014, 05:55 AM
Not bran:oldlol: why would they want to go back to bran iso ball, they've put together a decent young team. Why go backwards. Plus not enough Superstars to carry le choken one

JohnFreeman
05-30-2014, 05:59 AM
Hollins would be great for Embiid

JohnFreeman
05-30-2014, 05:59 AM
Not bran:oldlol: why would they want to go back to bran iso ball, they've put together a decent young team. Why go backwards. Plus not enough Superstars to carry le choken one
http://mostlyaveragejoe.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/cringe.gif

All Net
05-30-2014, 06:24 AM
I was really liking the idea of Billy Donovan. Yeah, it's always a risk when you bring in a college guy with no NBA experience, but he has a great system and seems great at relating to young guys.

When you consider this is our core:

Kyrie Irving (22)
Joel Embiid (20)
Dion Waiters (22)
Tristan Thompson (23)
Anthony Bennett (21)

...bringing in a guy with such a great track record relating to young basketball players makes a lot of sense.

Outside of that possibility, I really don't have a strong preference. The only name that has been mentioned that I want nothing to do with is Vinny DelNegro, but word seems to be he was interviewed for an assistant's role, not as a head coach.

Right now, the list seems to be narrowed to something like this:

Lionel Hollins
Adrian Griffin
Tyrunn Lue
Alvin Gentry
Billy Donovan (if he's truly interested)

I wouldn't be strongly opposed to any of them. If Donovan's not in the mix, I guess I'd go with either Hollins or Griffin if I had to make a choice.

Certainly a very talented young core. Just hope they don't waste the cap space like Pelicans did around Davis and yes think Joel can be as good as him.

coin24
05-30-2014, 07:01 AM
Certainly a very talented young core. Just hope they don't waste the cap space like Pelicans did around Davis and yes think Joel can be as good as him.

That Gordon signing:facepalm

coin24
05-30-2014, 07:03 AM
http://mostlyaveragejoe.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/cringe.gif

You should go outside once in a while..

Posting 10,000 times on an alt account in one year? That's Jameer level f@ggotry. You shameless bran stan alt:oldlol:

JohnFreeman
05-30-2014, 07:15 AM

Posting 10,000 times on an alt account in one year? That's Jameer level f@ggotry. You shameless bran stan alt:oldlol:
Whose alt am I?

All Net
05-30-2014, 07:23 AM
That Gordon signing:facepalm
And signing a similar player in Evans for 40 million.

Andrei89
05-30-2014, 07:27 AM

U just mad that gif perfectly represents how stupid you are :lol

JohnFreeman
05-30-2014, 07:28 AM
And signing a similar player in Evans for 40 million.
Evans is a solid player when he is starting.

All Net
05-30-2014, 07:44 AM
Evans is a solid player when he is starting.
I agree but both Gordon and Evans for that price is pointless

poido123
05-30-2014, 08:05 AM
I agree but both Gordon and Evans for that price is pointless

They need to get rid of Gordon. Just not the same player anymore.

Evans is worth that money IMO. He can play.

coin24
05-30-2014, 08:45 AM
They need to get rid of Gordon. Just not the same player anymore.

Evans is worth that money IMO. He can play.

Evans is a beast when he starts..

Shouldn't have matched Gordon, maybe someone will be stupid enough to trade for him..

jbryan1984
05-30-2014, 08:55 AM
Good, hope we get him. I either wanted him or Nate McMillan of coaches available. Hollins has a great track record, was the one coaching in Memphis when they turned everything around. I mean, Z-Bo had been in the league like 9 or 10 years when Hollins began coaching him. Always was a decent scorer but never consistent. Now look at him, was an All-Star, All NBA Team. Look what he did with baby Gasol and Conley. I would love to have him as my teams coach and hopefully teach Kyrie and Waiters some defense.

Uncle Drew
05-31-2014, 08:30 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ✔ @WojYahooNBA
From every account, Clippers assistant Tyronn Lue's interview for Cleveland's head coaching job left a strong impression on team officials.

Imtheman
05-31-2014, 08:57 PM
Eht do people like Hollins so much?

DaSeba5
05-31-2014, 09:01 PM

Why are you making this thread about LeBron? :facepalm